PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 2, 2022 vs Carlton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2022, 07:42 AM
This is the Round 2, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

westbulldog
25-03-2022, 12:32 AM
Bankers
Tim English, I thought he played a good 4 quarter game.
Jack Macrae, how fortunate we are to have him for the next 5 years.
Ugle-Hagan, must be in the team for the long term.

Anchors
The absolute and ongoing refusal of the MC to play a second ruck, Cordy and Hannan were imo unfairly required to chip in.
I hope Naughton is not injured.
Our tall backs, not up to the mark tonight, 9 kicked against them by Curnow and McKay.

SonofScray
25-03-2022, 12:35 AM
B

- English
- Jamarra
- Libba

A
- Ameet Baines
- Kylie Watson Wheeler
- our half forward line and our half back line and our deep defenders excepting Zaine

bornadog
25-03-2022, 01:03 AM
Bankers

* Hannan goal in the last - great left foot snap from left side of goals

* Tim English around the ground with 24 disposals

* JUH has got something

Anchors

* 2nd quarter, they killed us around the stoppages and we allowed 7 goals and played catch-up

* Inaccurate goal kicking

* Contested Poss and clearances - they beat us at something we are normally number 1 at.

ratsmac
25-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae - this bloke is a jet. He almost got us over the line I thought with smart kicks. If only he got himself into scoring positions more and kicks goals

2. Libba - big 2nd half tonight. He always looks like his buggered but still gut runs. He found a bit of last year's form again

3. JUH- he still looks so light against big defenders but I feel that the more we play him the more he'll find a way to use his size (build) to his advantage. He's a smart player, he just needs continuity and then his confidence will grow

Anchors

1. I want to put all our defenders in here but that's probably unfair due to the amount of clean ball coming into D50. But in saying that Keith gets an anchor. 2 weeks in a row he looks slow and is allowing his opponent good separation on the lead. Dunno if that corkie he got against Brisbane is hampering him or not but he needs to lift

2. Vander- doesn't do enough with his speed to even look remotely dangerous. I'd honestly prefer a slow Wallis than him right now.

3. Contested ball- to get smashed in this area again is a little concerning and tells me that we just might be leaving the heavy lifting to our teammates. Too many hanging out the back of the pack. Our synergy is off.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Bankers

1. Bont's 2nd half. Really stepped up, and he bloody well needed to.
2. Adam Treloar - He's really been an inspiring figure this year. We'd be in the world of hurt even more than we are without him stepping to another level.
3. Tim English. His first half was gobshite. But he came back very strongly in the 2nd half too.

Anchors
1. Keath - two weeks in a row he has been poor. Rightly or wrongly, he is our number 1 defender, and we simply need him to negate his opponent or at least keep them honest.
2. Bont's 1st half. When Cripps was just cutting us up, he was just unable to have any influence to change the course.
3. English's 1st half. Pittonet destroyed him early, and he just looked back to his timid, lacking-in-confidence ways of old.

Mantis
25-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Bankers

1. Bont's 2nd half. Really stepped up, and he bloody well needed to.
2. Adam Treloar - He's really been an inspiring figure this year. We'd be in the world of hurt even more than we are without him stepping to another level.
3. Tim English. His first half was gobshite. But he came back very strongly in the 2nd half too.

Anchors
1. Keath - two weeks in a row he has been poor. Rightly or wrongly, he is our number 1 defender, and we simply need him to negate his opponent or at least keep them honest.
2. Bont's 1st half. When Cripps was just cutting us up, he was just unable to have any influence to change the course.
3. English's 1st half. Pittonet destroyed him early, and he just looked back to his timid, lacking-in-confidence ways of old.

His 3rd qtr was very good and he was a catalyst for us getting back in the contest, but besides a nice mark & goal early in the last I thought he was wasted a little playing the entire qtr in the forward line.

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2022, 01:46 PM
Perhaps some offbeat bankers from me.
Naughton - had a basically ineffective night suffering from dreadful delivery. Suffered an injury, came back on, his chasing created a couple of goal opportunities. You can never doubt his competitive spirit.

English - watching him live he covers an enormous amount of ground. We’d have never remained a sniff without his efforts to get back and help our struggling defence.

Libba - 2 smart goals and a lot of hard work.

Anchors
3 howlers from the umpires. Clear free to Bont missed - unbelievable. Falling for the throw of the head by no 4 for the Blues when he was grabbed around the waist. The free to Curnow which was actually dropping the ball. And non frees for umpire dissent. I thought they had a poor night.

Our tactic of standing off the mark is just dumb. Isn’t footy all about closing up space not conceding it?

No apparent plan for Cripps. Dunkley ran with him rather than stopping his damaging centre square work. Last week there was a photo going round of Petracca who I believe is a handy player, being able to stand metres clear of everyone at CB. Why do we allow these guys to kill us?

SonofScray
25-03-2022, 03:30 PM
Perhaps some offbeat bankers from me.
Naughton - had a basically ineffective night suffering from dreadful delivery. Suffered an injury, came back on, his chasing created a couple of goal opportunities. You can never doubt his competitive spirit.

This is a good application of the Banker that might go under the radar because of the missed set shots.
Naughty never pulled the pin. He is a real competitor. Appreciate his bravery and determination to stay in the contest.