Twodogs
30-03-2022, 09:40 PM
Okely dokely tell us three things.

GVGjr
31-03-2022, 10:12 PM
Bump

EasternWest
31-03-2022, 10:59 PM
Marra is going to be some kind of player.
English might make it as a no. 1 ruck.
Gardner did a great job on Buddy.

Testekill
31-03-2022, 11:12 PM
English may be a ruckman after all.
Marra might not have had an amazing game on paper but his workrate and second efforts were phenomenal.
Our defence was more in synch this week.

Happy Days
31-03-2022, 11:13 PM
1. Our back six is good. Our key defenders are good. Let’s hope the same energy is kept in praise than it was in anger after last week’s first half from a certain couch-based talk show.

2. Weightman is gonna end the year as the best pressure forward in the AFL. Killed multiple switches all by himself tonight.

3. English is a better ruckman than Joel Amartey and Hayden Maclean but not Tom Hickey. Tim was awesome tonight but his ruckwork still needs to get better.

hujsh
31-03-2022, 11:23 PM

They all had signature moments didn't they.

Marra's pressure and physicality. That bump in the 2nd I think being one such example and his repeat pressure acts
English his hangar and one piercing kick into the middle
Gardner tackling Buddy in open play. I gave him no chance but he stuck to Buddy's hips like glue.

westbulldog
01-04-2022, 12:05 AM
1. Bailey Dale is the best kick in the AFL.
2. Ugle-Hagan will be a star.
3. There still needs to be more accountability in kicking for goal.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 12:20 AM
1. Lost the contested ball in the first two games, but smashed them tonight, that is how you win.

2. Tim is starting to mature and still has a way to go, but first three games this year, he is killing them around the ground.

3. Keath is important and was back to his old self

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 12:43 AM
1. Marra is tough. Really tough. Tough + class + athleticism = superstar. Hopefully he can put it all together. But from what we have seen in the last two weeks. He should play every week.

2. When we bring our A-Game for the contested footy and setup well to defend the ground, we are bloody hard to beat. We should have won by 10+ goals.

3. Bont did a few nice things. But was a little quiet. Naughton had a quiet night. Jacko had a quiet night by his standards. We still dominated the game. That is a good sign.

The bulldog tragician
01-04-2022, 12:48 AM
1. Keath’s importance to our team can’t be overstated. When he’s in good form the whole backline looks better.

2. We would have won last week with Bazlenka fit.

3. We only won tonight though because the umpires love us. They weren’t content to gift us a Premiership, they’ve been working desperately behind the scenes to get us up for another **** according to the media plus Swans fans**** who don’t understand that teams winning contested footy earn more frees

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2022, 12:54 AM
1. English has improved. Still not a natural with his tap work though, it often lands in the path of the opposition. However, his around the ground play has been very impressive. Ball handling, running to create an option, running defensively - he's doing it all in that regard.

2. Our skill execution is still a fair way off where it needs to be. Richards turned over everything tonight and at times we tried to be too cute (Daniel and Hunter made some bad errors). Confident it can improve, but it needs to improve quickly. We did look a little 'heavy on the mind' as the pressure built, which naturally happens at 0-2 and when you blow chance after chance at goal. Hope tonight releases the shackles.

3. Our forward mix just isn't right. We obviously miss Bruce, but we also miss JJ / potentially another crumbling player. Thought Scott was good early but he had to move back when Cordy got injured. Vandermeer does some good things but doesn't hit the scoreboard and makes a lot of errors. Hannan offers little, although I know we're using him as second ruck. I'd probably prefer JJ and McNeil/Garcia over Hannan/Vandermeer, the former would work in better with our structure and Naughton/Weightman.

angelopetraglia
01-04-2022, 12:55 AM
1. Keath’s importance to our team can’t be overstated. When he’s in good form the whole backline looks better.

3. We only won tonight though because the umpires love us. They weren’t content to gift us a Premiership, they’ve been working desperately behind the scenes to get us up for another **** according to the media plus Swans fans**** who don’t understand that teams winning contested footy earn more frees

Bazlenka was unbelievable tonight. 31 touches. So much run. He played 97% game time. (Dunkley 84%, Treloar 84%, Macrae 78%, Bont 86%, Libba 79%).

Testekill
01-04-2022, 01:47 AM
1. English has improved. Still not a natural with his tap work though, it often lands in the path of the opposition. However, his around the ground play has been very impressive. Ball handling, running to create an option, running defensively - he's doing it all in that regard.

If English was an average ruckman then he'd be one of the most dangerous players in the league. No big guy in the league covers the ground like he does, is as clean below the knees or can drift into defensive as an intercept mark like he can. The substandard ruckwork is the only thing that hurts him, if he can turn a corner this season like he has then he's a very threatening player.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2022, 01:48 AM
1. Still not resolved, the issue of accuracy. Not sure how to do it, but it must be done.
I thought it may have been addressed in the off season but looks like it's as problematic as ever.

2. Ryan Gardner surprised me

3. Tim English can dish it out when needed. Agree with Bevo, have to rest him now and then. He's a beast. Needs a nickname.

soupman
01-04-2022, 02:02 AM
3. Tim English can dish it out when needed.

Don't really know any specific examples but thats the most aggressive I've seen English play. If he can develop a mean streak that'd be great.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2022, 03:37 AM
Don't really know any specific examples but thats the most aggressive I've seen English play. If he can develop a mean streak that'd be great.

When you are using Buddy Franklin as a step ladder, you know you have arrived.

The Underdog
01-04-2022, 08:03 AM
Bazlenka was unbelievable tonight. 31 touches. So much run. He played 97% game time. (Dunkley 84%, Treloar 84%, Macrae 78%, Bont 86%, Libba 79%).

All of that is true and I am incredibly grateful we have him. But also true is that his disposal by foot was below average. I’m honestly not sure if he hit a target. It was why I couldn’t give him a vote.

comrade
01-04-2022, 08:31 AM
When you are using Buddy Franklin as a step ladder, you know you have arrived.

I missed the game but saw that highlight this morning. I reckon previously Timmy would have had second thoughts going full throttle for that mark against a player of Buddy’s stature, but to not only plant the knee and take the grab but to then hit the ground and take a bounce signals a player finding his confidence. God I hope he kicks on.

GVGjr
01-04-2022, 08:45 AM

I agree with the first two points but would have added something about our unsung hero in Ryan Gardner. He did a sterling job last night.

EasternWest
01-04-2022, 09:07 AM

I agree with the first two points but would have added something about our unsung hero in Ryan Gardner. He did a sterling job last night.

Ahem.

azabob
01-04-2022, 09:18 AM

To quote EW, Ahem.

For mine Gardner was actually more influential than Keath. I still think Keath is slowly on the improve but still not at this level we expect.

azabob
01-04-2022, 09:18 AM
I missed the game but saw that highlight this morning. I reckon previously Timmy would have had second thoughts going full throttle for that mark against a player of Buddy’s stature, but to not only plant the knee and take the grab but to then hit the ground and take a bounce signals a player finding his confidence. God I hope he kicks on.

So the one game you miss, Cordy goes down with concussion very early on.. For some reason that amuses me.

comrade
01-04-2022, 09:23 AM
So the one game you miss, Cordy goes down with concussion very early on.. For some reason that amuses me.

Welcome to my life in 2022! ;)

whythelongface
01-04-2022, 09:25 AM
1. Gardner has slowly been building his confidence as a backmen. His game last night was huge against one of the superstars of the game. Not only did he nullify Buddy’s influence but he was also able to take a couple of intercept marks. That is a sign of a player building confidence.

2. Keath continues to be so important to our structure. When he is down it affects our performance. When he is on what a difference he makes to this team.

3. Our midfield stepped up tonight and dominated from the get go. We need to be able to bring this to the table week in week out. We can’t afford to be prone to lapses where the opposition pile on multiple goals in quick succession. Dominate like that and we are a contender.

Mantis
01-04-2022, 09:31 AM
1. Gardner has slowly been building his confidence as a backmen. His game last night was huge against one of the superstars of the game. Not only did he nullify Buddy’s influence but he was also able to take a couple of intercept marks. That is a sign of a player building confidence.

Gardner did do a decent job at nullifying Buddy who whilst still a very effective player, is a shadow of his former self.

And whilst it was great that Ryan showed confidence to go for his marks he does need to move the ball on quicker when in possession because his reluctance to 'go' really stifles our ball movement.

SonofScray
01-04-2022, 09:32 AM

Gardner was superb, outside of one kick that was simply biting off more than he could chew. He is a brave footballer, with pretty good positioning aerial athleticism. Played a smart, meat and potatoes game without the footy and I thought he really quelled Buddy’s influence at key moments. Never let him get his tail up.

1. Cordy was doing a lot of unrewarded running and behind the scenes work I50 to free up space for Naughton and Marra. Was a shame to see he got subbed out for concussion. Thought he was putting in one of those classic, disciplined, sacrificial games. Need to be seeing that from the squad at times.

2. English’s mark over Buddy and bump on Blakey were an emphatic franking of his form. He’s showing us that he is the player we wanted him, and need him to be. Would love to have the opportunity to pull the three headed monster while he is up and about.

3. Sydney fans and the footy media just can’t resist the freekickbulldogs sooking. It’s equal parts funny and annoying.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 09:44 AM
Gardner did do a decent job at nullifying Buddy who whilst still a very effective player, is a shadow of his former self.

And whilst it was great that Ryan showed confidence to go for his marks he does need to move the ball on quicker when in possession because his reluctance to 'go' really stifles our ball movement.

Gardner was great but I think Buddy started to have a pretty big impact in that second half. Was really on his bike and I thought pretty important in their comeback.
They moved the ball a lot faster after the half time break.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 09:46 AM
To quote EW, Ahem.

For mine Gardner was actually more influential than Keath. I still think Keath is slowly on the improve but still not at this level we expect.

Keath was back to his best last night, taking 12 marks, only 3 contested, but shows his role isnot a lockdown one on one. Leave that to Gardner.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 09:48 AM
Keath was back to his best last night, taking 12 marks, only 3 contested, but shows his role isnot a lockdown one on one. Leave that to Gardner.
He was, absolutely rock solid superb game.

whythelongface
01-04-2022, 10:04 AM
3. Sydney fans and the footy media just can’t resist the freekickbulldogs sooking. It’s equal parts funny and annoying.

2016 still hurts. They still think ‘they was robbed’

Mofra
01-04-2022, 10:17 AM
1. Watching Gardner close, you can see why the MC persisted with him. The KPD debate is settled, he's our no 2

2. Marra just needs to play. He had really promising signs but his synergy with Naughts just isn't there. The only way that builds is by playing them together at senor level

3. I hope anyone willing to trade or let Dunkley go saw the game tonight.

(I'm being greedy)

4. Bailey Smith's workrate is underrated. He just ran so hard to make position on multiple occasions. I think he's a much better footballer this year than last year. Finals-level good.

Happy Days
01-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Don’t stress it, drink it in. I personally think winning the free kick count 31-14 is awesome and hope it happens every game. This isn’t exactly distribution of wealth we’re talking about here, it’s an advantage in a game between two teams where I care about one way more.

But re Swans fans, I’d be mad too if my team was a bunch of stupid idiots who grab players jumpers one out in the goalsquare, or knowingly go anywhere even *near* Cody Weightman’s shoulders, or decide to leave the ground to elbow a guy taking an uncontested mark in the back of the head. But if they need there to be a conspiracy that’s fine, I wouldn’t want to confront kicking 9 points in a half either.

Grantysghost
01-04-2022, 10:23 AM
1. Tim English, or as I now call him (in line with every report I read) Out-Of-Contract Tim English or OOCTE for short has arrived. He was everywhere and even channelled Ben Hudson with some ground ball work at the stoppages. He looks every part the ruckman we've been crying out for. Lets change OOCTE into CTE again very soon. Speaking of which that bump was superb.

2. It looks like the graduation from Libba to Dunkley has begun. Despite this forums best effort to be rid of him I'm really glad Jeemak failed. The signs were there last week that he was back to his pre-shoulder form and last night he was in everything in close. The smother king! 11 tackles. He set the standard. If Libba can chop out when we need something special we might have the perfect balance.

3. Gardner is the man. He's the man. That's it. Good lesson not to roast a guy before he's had a decent crack at it.

3.14 McNeil is probably on target to break Scott West's B&F record. The time of McNeil is dawning !

merantau
01-04-2022, 10:44 AM
1. Our team defence was very good. Sterling effort to keep them to 9 points in a half of football.
2. Whatever the plan was to curb Heaney - it worked.
3. We are back winning the hard ball and getting numbers to the contest.

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2022, 11:19 AM
1. Dunkley’s tackling is immense. His kicking and disposal choices not so much. But his tackling and effort made up for it last night.
2. Jamara’s breakout 5 goal game could happen any week now. The confidence is building.
3. Get on Tim English for the Brownlow.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2022, 12:26 PM
1. Our work-rate and the buy-in across all lines to work both ways was almost perfect. That sort of focus, if maintained throughout the season, will make us hard to beat.
2. JUH just earned himself several games in a row in the first team off what he showed last night. The biggest question I had about Jamarra right now was around his desire and ability to work hard off the ball, and defensively. He showed last night that even if he's not yet ready to be our focal point, he can and will do the tough things and the team oriented things that are the baseline for what we need from our forward group.
3. That performance (minus the goalkicking) was exactly what we needed after two schizophrenic performances. 4 Qtrs of intent and toughness. We're not going to fade away based on what we showed last night.

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2022, 12:42 PM
1. Dunkley’s tackling is immense. His kicking and disposal choices not so much. But his tackling and effort made up for it last night.
2. Jamara’s breakout 5 goal game could happen any week now. The confidence is building.
3. Get on Tim English for the Brownlow.

I just read that Bailey Smith spent 97% time on ground last night. Given how hard he runs and sprints and plays midfield, that is insane.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2022, 11:07 PM
I just read that Bailey Smith spent 97% time on ground last night. Given how hard he runs and sprints and plays midfield, that is insane.

Hi SQ Grip. Thanks for pointing that out.
That's insane. It's a long year, might need to back that off a bit next game.

DOG GOD
03-04-2022, 01:30 PM
1. English is still not a #1 ruckman, but is possibly the best KKP between the 50’s. His work rate and gut running was sensational against Sydney.
2. Keath still has something. He looked more focused and driven. Maybe it was more a match conditioning issue those first 2 games
3. Weightman WILL be great for this club.

Murphy'sLore
04-04-2022, 12:05 PM
3. Tim English can dish it out when needed. Agree with Bevo, have to rest him now and then. He's a beast. Needs a nickname.

In our house he is called Malfoy, though I believe his official nickname is Chili.

The bulldog tragician
04-04-2022, 12:17 PM
In our house he is called Malfoy, though I believe his official nickname is Chili.

I have commented previously that he looks like a weird hybrid of Scott Wynd and Simon Beasley.

And we call him The Pom which isn't all that original.

mjp
04-04-2022, 12:48 PM

I've read this in a few places.

Everyone knows that a free kick counts as a contested possession right.

So if you're +17 for Free Kicks that automatically boosts your contested ball number by 17?

I thought we were clearly the best team but quoting contested possession numbers as a reason for free kicks is kind of double dipping. Well, it's 100% double dipping.

Axe Man
04-04-2022, 01:28 PM

Well not everyone....

There's my something new learned for today.

The bulldog tragician
04-04-2022, 01:35 PM

So if you're +17 for Free Kicks that automatically boosts your contested ball number by 17?

I thought we were clearly the best team but quoting contested possession numbers as a reason for free kicks is kind of double dipping. Well, it's 100% double dipping.

That wasn't really what I meant. I'm not saying each CP = free kick.

bornadog
04-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Well not everyone....

There's my something new learned for today.

It is a ridiculous way to play with stats

Mofra
04-04-2022, 02:04 PM
It is a ridiculous way to play with stats
There are mids who 'secondary tackle' before the umpire blows his whistle because it counts as a tackle on the stats sheet, even though all you're doing is wrapping your arms around a teammate who has already tackled an opponent.
Dyl Buckley might have even mentioned it once in his podcast.

Conversely, a player can chorale and harass an opposition player but not get it counted on the stats sheet (nobody looks at 'pressure acts') so people think they aren't putting in.
If you think back to Essendon's leaked 'cheat sheet' opposition analysis, players were told not to tackle Gaz Jnr because he'd just break the tackle and run off anyway. They were instructed to chorale him into disposing of the ball.

Stats will never replace the eyeballs on the game.

EasternWest
04-04-2022, 02:34 PM

Wait, so if Stephen Baker punches me in the head behind play 10 times and I get 10 free kicks I also get 10 contested possessions?

I confess to never knowing this. It joins the endless list of things I didn't know.

Grantysghost
04-04-2022, 02:38 PM
Wait, so if Stephen Baker punches me in the head behind play 10 times and I get 10 free kicks I also get 10 contested possessions?

I confess to never knowing this. It joins the endless list of things I didn't know.

Well if it's out on the full it's not a contested possession.

mjp
04-04-2022, 02:52 PM
That wasn't really what I meant. I'm not saying each CP = free kick.

No - but each free kick equates to a contested possession.

Possessions are either Contested or Uncontested. Free kicks register as CONTESTED.

Some are contested (winning a holding the ball decision). Some aren't (out on the full free-kick). But they all hit the Contested Possessions column at the end of the game.

EasternWest
04-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Well if it's out on the full it's not a contested possession.

Some aren't (out on the full free-kick). But they all hit the Contested Possessions column at the end of the game.

You two should punch this out.

comrade
04-04-2022, 03:26 PM
My understanding is OOF isn’t included in the free kick count.

Grantysghost
04-04-2022, 03:51 PM
My understanding is OOF isn’t included in the free kick count.

Ok I'll go with deliberate xD

Edit: I thought of some more - shaking the goal post, non designated ruckman taking the tap, arguing with/interfering with umpire!