PDA

View Full Version : Who plays 2nd ruck?

Mantis
08-04-2022, 01:31 PM
With Hannan out who gets the call up when Tim needs a spell?

* Tried to add a poll, but my computer shat itself so it didn't work.

Mofra
08-04-2022, 01:51 PM
I'm worried it will be TOB off an interrupted pre-season, leaving Gards one-out as the lone tall in defence.
I'm even more concerned we'll use Bont.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 02:03 PM
I'm concerned it will be Naughton.. or Bont.. or Dunkley.. or ??

How the *!*!*!*! are we in such a position whereby with only minimal injuries we have no viable option to play as a 2nd ruck bar someone who shouldn't or can't? What a shit show!

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 02:04 PM
with hannan out who gets the call up when tim needs a spell?

* tried to add a poll, but my computer shat itself so it didn't work.

tob.

Happy Days
08-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Jamarra?

None of these options are going to work, so maybe we just pick the one that hurts us the least.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 02:10 PM
Jamarra?

None of these options are going to work, so maybe we just pick the one that hurts us the least.

Blasphemy!

Happy Days
08-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Man these ideas ALL suck what can we do. I’m assuming it’ll be Dunkley but as a centre square option that has bad news written all over it.

mjp
08-04-2022, 02:23 PM
If English is injured then Gardner will simply have to do it.

And Naughton wil simply have to go back to play on Lynch.

This is an actual scenario we have created for ourselves.

MrMahatma
08-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Maybe we'll just go with no ruckman in F50 stoppages... give Tim a rest then.

Happy Days
08-04-2022, 02:28 PM
Maybe we'll just go with no ruckman in F50 stoppages... give Tim a rest then.

We’ve been doing this already.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2022, 02:30 PM
It's genuinely ridiculous we put ourselves in this position.

We have a contending team with 2 obvious areas of concern (Ruck and KPD) and address neither. In fact, both actually (somehow) get worse with Martin done and Young leaving.

As for what we'll do, I expect a half forward to roll up to the stoppage (i.e. a mid such as Smith) and Bont/Dunkley/Macrae to share ruck duties.

Likely we then see English not ruck in our forward half for large periods of the game to conserve energy.

Pickenitup
08-04-2022, 02:34 PM
Surely Schache comes into the 22 with a late change .

hujsh
08-04-2022, 02:36 PM

We have a contending team with 2 obvious areas of concern (Ruck and KPD) and address neither. In fact, both actually (somehow) get worse with Martin done and Young leaving.

As for what we'll do, I expect a half forward to roll up to the stoppage (i.e. a mid such as Smith) and Bont/Dunkley/Macrae to share ruck duties.

Likely we then see English not ruck in our forward half for large periods of the game to conserve energy.

Apparently we did chase at least one ruck (Soldo) we just weren't successful in doing so.

Mofra
08-04-2022, 02:38 PM

Unpopular opinion - as much as I wanted us to get a ruck and KPD last year, I'd rather have TOB on the list than Lewie Young.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 02:38 PM
Unpopular opinion - as much as I wanted us to get a ruck and KPD last year, I'd rather have TOB on the list than Lewie Young.

Popular with me.

Grantysghost
08-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Apparently we did chase at least one ruck (Soldo) we just weren't successful in doing so.

He's very average. Surely there are some guys in the VFL we could get on the cheap.
Wait wait....the turnover game.

bornadog
08-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Is Hannan out?

Edit: Just saw match committee.

Surely we have no option but to play Schache

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2022, 02:54 PM

I agree, but I see TOB replacing Easton Wood which means we still lost a KPD (who is average) and replaced him with ... nothing.

Mantis
08-04-2022, 03:07 PM
I agree, but I see TOB replacing Easton Wood which means we still lost a KPD (who is average) and replaced him with ... nothing.

We didn't lose a KPD in Young as Bevo refused to play him there... I guess we drafted Darcy who was playing as a KPD at u/18 level, but he's a fair way off the mark to make an impact in a contending team.

Before I Die
08-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Seriously, do we all think losing Mitch Hannan as a 2nd ruck hurts us? He is 190cm tall and being selected as a forward whose primary job is to block for the big boys and add pressure. He has been doing the 2nd rucking because Martin and Sweet are either not up to the job or injured. How difficult is it to find a like for like replacement in the ruck... not very hard at all. Because it is in the F50, it will probably be a rotation of Bont, Dunks and Macrae, who are all taller and heavier than Hannan. We have sufficient mid-fielders to cover this, with Treloar, Smith and Libba. Yes there is an injury risk, but that's footy. Hopefully, Mitch is back next week.

I also don't think our defensive stocks are stretched as much as has been claimed, but that is a different thread.

Sedat
08-04-2022, 03:11 PM
Jongy retired a season too early.

Hotdog60
08-04-2022, 06:20 PM
We need to chase down a 300cm basketballer and turn him into tap run and handballer

westbulldog
09-04-2022, 12:00 AM
The fact that we won't give Sweet an opportunity is bewildering. To watch others being called upon to be a 2nd ruck is cringeworthy, an embarrassment to the Club and a blight on those coaching with blinkers.

hujsh
09-04-2022, 12:32 AM
The fact that we won't give Sweet an opportunity is bewildering. To watch others being called upon to be a 2nd ruck is cringeworthy, an embarrassment to the Club and a blight on those coaching with blinkers.

Have you seen Sweet recently? I haven't but reports on here have hardly been singing his praises.

Hotdog60
09-04-2022, 08:41 AM
I think Sweet's problem now is he is playing for Tim's position and so will be lucky to get a game unless he can kick a few goals in the VFL playing forward. If the team list for the VFL is to be believed he's the main man again with Martin forward.
It's a pity Darcy is injured because I think he could be Tim's backup but that may not happen this year.

ratsmac
09-04-2022, 10:00 AM
We'll be right. We have played with one ruck for years now. It's hardly a new problem. We shark the opposition's ruck better than most teams.

D50 height worries me a little considering it's TOB first game with us but we have the cattle to turn the lack of height to an offensive advantage. We just have to get the ball to ground.

Richmond love a scrap and rebound off the turnover game which got them 3 flags but they have hardly been in that form for the past 12 months. We just have to play our best and we win.

macca
09-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Its interesting to see rucks at other teams get a string of games , observations after 3 rounds :

Darcy fort : he looked ok last night against Stanley the cats, held his ground in the tap out against stanley ( behind ragoLea). Gets to the right positions but falls to the ground too often . Knock on him he did not have a tank

XERRI: his had 3 games in row now and looking like strong a few games together . Have not seen him play
Marks: 3,4,2
HO : zero , so they not playing him as a ruck ?
Kicks : 9,11,9

Chol : 3 games in a row , seemed to be behind a few rucks at tigers and can play the fwd role as well( not very well ) be least brings ball to ground

Jack Hayes : dropped today

Happy Days
09-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Anyone who asks why Sweet isn’t playing isn’t a real head.