PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd, 4 2022 vs Richmond

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2022, 02:01 PM
This is the Round 4, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
11-04-2022, 10:00 AM
Bump

bornadog
11-04-2022, 10:19 AM
Bankers

Hard when a loss, so I will concentrate on some individual acts

1. English running goal after winning centre clearance.
2. Naughton snap out of the pack for goal
3. The effort from Bailey Smith with 96% game time - he ran his guts out all over the park.

Anchors

1. You guessed it - AFL rules - stand rule, most useless rule ever, goes against player instinct which the game is built around.
2. Umpire calls blood rule, waits for player to get off the ground - fine. However, player coming on is Nankervis, and wants to take the ruck throw in, so umpire delays the game waiting for him to run from one side of the ground to the other. This is actually disgraceful.
3. Of Course Goal kicking. 49 behinds in three weeks is massive.

soupman
11-04-2022, 11:05 AM
2. Umpire calls blood rule, waits for player to get off the ground - fine. However, player coming on is Nankervis, and wants to take the ruck throw in, so umpire delays the game waiting for him to run from one side of the ground to the other. This is actually disgraceful.

Isn't this the rule though? You wait for the player coming on to get into position, even if that position is the furthest point from the bench?

bornadog
11-04-2022, 11:57 AM
Isn't this the rule though? You wait for the player coming on to get into position, even if that position is the furthest point from the bench?

Tell you the truth I don't know if it is the rule but if so it is another ridiculous rule - just a big time waster and tough titties that your bloke has blood spilling out. Get off and get the other player on. Same thing as a normal injury, no one waits for them to get into position.

Ozza
11-04-2022, 04:39 PM
Bankers:

Smith - gives unbelievable effort and shows intent to move us forward
English - hope he can keep up his competitiveness. His running is fantastic and is really working over his opposition at times.
Dale - Majority of his disposals are kicks, does take risks, still goes at very high efficiency.

Anchors:

Dunkley - every time he has to kick the ball, it is completely deflating.
Our 'bottom 6' - just didn't get a contribution from Scott, McNeil, Wallis, Marra, Weightman and Butler. Richmond were far more even across the 22.
Obviously the missed shots - the set shots drive you crazy. But even the running shots from 45+...we didn't seem to nail any - you'd just like to at least nail 3 or 4 of the 7 we had.

Danny the snakeman
12-04-2022, 01:39 AM

Yes it is.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2022, 09:08 PM
Bankers

Hard when a loss, so I will concentrate on some individual acts

1. English running goal after winning centre clearance.
2. Naughton snap out of the pack for goal
3. The effort from Bailey Smith with 96% game time - he ran his guts out all over the park.

Anchors

1. You guessed it - AFL rules - stand rule, most useless rule ever, goes against player instinct which the game is built around.
3. Of Course Goal kicking. 49 behinds in three weeks is massive.

What can I say. Telling stat. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-04-2022, 07:29 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae. thought he fought very hard for 4 quarters.
2. Gardner. I know Lynch ended up kicking 4, but most of those were the result of costly turnovers that made it hard to defend. In the absence of Keath and Cordy, I thought Gardner was pretty impressive. I had wondered whether he could handle being the main man in defense, and I think he acquitted himself well.
3. Bailey Smith yet again working and running all game. His fitness levels are amazing

Anchors

1. Goalkicking - putrid.
2. costly turnovers. So many promising bits of play were let down by horrific skill errors, and many of these ended up not only missed opportunities to score, but resulted in Richmond getting an easy score.
3. goalkicking again... it was that bad.

Scorlibo
13-04-2022, 12:13 PM
Bankers

Libba - thought he played his role incredibly well, acting as the conduit across half-forward with stints in the clinches. Was clean, kept his feet and won one-on-ones. If we are going to persist with playing him forward, I feel like this is a benchmark game.

English - he's taken that next step with his work at ground level. Loved seeing that goal on the gallop and his fire in the celebration.

O'Brien - was soundly beaten in a couple of marking contests but Riewoldt and Lynch are no mugs. Thought his intercept game (had a game high 8 intercepts) was very important for us in the absence of Keath and went at 90%+ disposal efficiency (yes, the one errant kick was a costly one). Great start in the RW&B imo

Anchors

Butler - hate to can a young player coming in for their first game of the season, but he looked utterly out of his depth at the higher level, to the point where even his strengths let him down (decision making and kicking). Struggling to see how his athletic profile enables him to play AFL football, but he should get another opportunity and hopefully he proves me wrong.

Forwards - such inconsequential output from Weightman, McNeil, Vandermeer, Scott and Ugle-Hagan. Something has to change either with the personnel or how we setup in the forward half. We can't be going into games 5 players down before the opening bounce.

Umpires - not the reason we lost but they had a bad night. Poor Bailey Williams was on the receiving end of two shockers, the fifty for not standing the mark and then called holding the ball for having the ball knocked out of his hands in a half-tackle. Both resulted in easy Tigers goals.