PDA

View Full Version : Rating our list 2021: Josh Dunkley 05

Hotdog60
10-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Hi all,

I don't know how it happened but I missed on Josh so here's the final poll.
Remember this is rating our list from 2021 so don't let current performance influence your voting.

Hotdog60
10-04-2022, 08:49 AM
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Players/ChampIDImages/XLarge2022/993834.png?i10c=img.resize(scale_height:0.504)

Recruited from the Gippsland Power, Josh Dunkley is a strong and courageous midfielder. Dunkley made his debut in Round 1, 2016, playing 17 games that season including the drought-breaking premiership – in which he was the youngest Bulldog to feature. Dunkley enjoyed a breakout season in 2019, transitioning into a full-time midfield role and averaging more than 28 disposals and six tackles per match. He was runner-up in the Charles Sutton Medal, named in the All Australian squad of 40, and was vice-captain of the AFLPA 22under22 team. Dunkley underwent a shoulder reconstruction last season, which sidelined him from round six to round 15, before returning to the side and impacting in the 2021 AFL Finals series.
LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1083/josh-dunkley)

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 09:32 AM
He is an above average player and unless his kicking skills improve that might be his ceiling.
I rate Dunks though and hope we can re-sign him.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2022, 09:47 AM
He is an above average player and unless his kicking skills improve that might be his ceiling.
I rate Dunks though and hope we can re-sign him.

Do we overrate our players?

I don't think Dunkley is average but I'm not sure he's clearly above average either. His skill level is close to the worst in the competition, his marking has quietly evaporated from his game, he lacks pace.

He can find the ball and his tackling/smothering is good, but is that enough to elevate a player to above average status?

Personally I now hope we see what we can get for him. Finding players who can win the ball is not difficult, finding players who can distribute the ball effectively is.

GVGjr
10-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Do we overrate our players?

I don't think Dunkley is average but I'm not sure he's clearly above average either. His skill level is close to the worst in the competition, his marking has quietly evaporated from his game, he lacks pace.

He can find the ball and his tackling/smothering is good, but is that enough to elevate a player to above average status?

Personally I now hope we see what we can get for him. Finding players who can win the ball is not difficult, finding players who can distribute the ball effectively is.

Of course we do but would you really get offered a 1st and 2nd rounder for an average player?
He's easily above average in my assessment but he isn't going to trouble the elite rating.

Hotdog60
10-04-2022, 09:55 AM
I'll go with above average and it would only be his disposal that holds him back from taking the next step up.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2022, 09:58 AM
Of course we do but would you really get offered a 1st and 2nd rounder for an average player?
He's easily above average in my assessment but he isn't going to trouble the elite rating.

There's been some pretty average players who have had inflated worth over the years based on what was given up to get them.

As harsh as it sounds, if you're slow and you're a genuine liability with the ball, it's a big problem.

josie
10-04-2022, 11:04 AM
I went with above average but his goal kicking and pace made it a borderline decision. I too think we should trade him.

boydogs
11-04-2022, 01:20 AM
His kicking has come a long way. Above average