PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R16 2022

Pages : 1 [2]

angelopetraglia
30-06-2022, 10:43 PM
7 more inside 50s and 7 goals down Tells you everything you need to know.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 10:44 PM
We are really on the business end of a pants down spanking.

The disappointing part is that the work we did to build a competitive percentage is being eroded in a big way.

The Underdog
Seen enough of McComb… he isn’t up to this level.

You’d reckon Garcia with a good game tomorrow could get a shot at his spot

The Bulldogs Bite
JUH has looked impressive.

dukedog
30-06-2022, 10:45 PM
Embaressing. Alot of players going through the motions . Kind of representitive of woke behavior of alot of millenial and gen z attitudes in the work force. Everything is owed type of shit. This club is a joke right now.

Eastdog
30-06-2022, 10:47 PM

I have liked his marking. Just needs to convert some.

Mutz
Getting some junk frees now to even up the count so no-one notices after the game.

The Underdog
Embaressing. Alot of players going through the motions . Kind of representitive of woke behavior of alot of millenial and gen z attitudes in the work force. Everything is owed type of shit. This club is a joke right now.

Didn’t know a post could wear clown shoes. You know they’re playing AGAINST millennials and Gen Zers too right?

Eastdog
30-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Getting some junk frees now to even up the count so no-one notices after the game.

Yep I see what you mean Mutz.

josie
30-06-2022, 10:49 PM

He and Bedendo are the two good things we can take out of tonight. And that promising players like Cleary should play more games. Hope the McComb experiment is finished.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2022, 10:50 PM
2 goals in a half is pittiful.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Anyone explain to me how Scott is still on Cameron and we just let Neale do as he pleases?

G-Mo77
30-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Anyone explain to me how Scott is still on Cameron and we just let Neale do as he pleases?

We know the answers, it's not worth it mate.

josie

Who else do we have to play on Cameron? Agree about Neale given that much space.

Bullies
There were 5 Brisbane players in the forward line without an opponent when Neale kicked that.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 10:55 PM
We are getting run over despite them losing Zorko and Rich early.

The Underdog
We are getting run over despite them losing Zorko and Rich early.

6 day break?

Bullies
Something not quite right at the club. Players not playing for each other.

EasternWest
30-06-2022, 10:56 PM

Shut up mate. What tripe.

Bullies
30-06-2022, 10:56 PM
6 day break? What about just not up to it

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 10:57 PM
Who else do we have to play on Cameron? Agree about Neale given that much space.

I'm more upset about the lack of trying someone else.

O'Brien or Crozier anything! He's destroyed us.

He's a terribly difficult match up for sure especially with the missing players.

Superstar player.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 10:57 PM
6 day break?

It shouldn't be a problem

Mantis
30-06-2022, 10:58 PM

Go to bed dude… and delete your account before you turn the light off.

The Doctor
I don't care what the stats say, our midfield is one of the softest in the league. They continually shit the bed when the pressure is on.

Stop blaming Gardner, how much can he do when standing under an avalanche.

Stop blaming Schache, when there is drought of decent delivery into the forward line.

Our midfield are nice pretty boys, including Bont. They need a big Rick Kennedy kick up the arse.

The Bulldogs Bite
Schaches inability to compete is hard to watch.

whythelongface
30-06-2022, 10:59 PM

This goes down as the most ridiculous post of all time. It is an insult to the younger generations and not representative of them at all.

The Doctor
30-06-2022, 10:59 PM

he is not to blame

The Underdog
30-06-2022, 11:00 PM

Funny part is everyone was furious at the thought of him being dropped on the back of last week. He’s what he is. Can be good, can disappear.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:01 PM

You can’t trust him to compete… it’s the minimum requirement to play and it’s something he doesn’t always show.

kruder
30-06-2022, 11:02 PM
Dunkley is worry for mine, has had a poor year still hasn't signed looks a little disinterested. He is at an age where he should be taking his game to the next level but really hasn't improved over the last few years.

Mantis
I don't care what the stats say, our midfield is one of the softest in the league. They continually shit the bed when the pressure is on.

Stop blaming Schache, when there is drought of decent delivery into the forward line.

Our midfield are nice pretty boys, including Bont. They need a big Rick Kennedy kick up the arse.

Can you expand on what you mean by soft?

Eastdog
This goes down as the most ridiculous post of all time. It is an insult to the younger generations and not representative of them at all.

I was born in 1989 so I’m a millennial. Yeah we are all just getting frustrated at the moment. Things are getting said in the heat of the moment.

The Underdog
What about just not up to it

Yep, probably. Disappointing to watch, but we are what we are I guess.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 11:04 PM

Do you know what WOKE means?

Grantysghost

Been that way since the GWS final in 2019 and despite saying all the right things nothing much has changed against the better midfields.

We miss Smith and his explosiveness. Very one paced without him.

whythelongface

Apart from Libba this pretty much sums it up. The amount of times we stuff it up going forward from the mids is endless, then when things aren’t going our way they don’t work hard enough and are 2nd to the ball. We had our opportunities early but blew them. Brisbane gained momentum and bang game over.

Mantis
No English, Baz, Doc, Caleb and Richards hurt… but we just don’t defend the ground well enough.

Bullies
30-06-2022, 11:05 PM
Dunkley is worry for mine, has had a poor year still hasn't signed looks a little disinterested. He is at an age where he should be taking his game to the next level but really hasn't improved over the last few years. We will get unders when he leaves at year end. We were offered a 1st and 2nd pick but wanted 2 1sts. Will be lucky to get a late 1st now.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 11:06 PM
6 day break?

I think losing Caleb and Ed didn't help and we really miss Tim.

Hopefully Tim and Ed back next week.

Also, and I know it is not an excuse, but Lions have won the last 25 of 26 games at the Gabba - bloody hard to win there.

G-Mo77
Just pathetic. Lots of questions that need answers for our demise in 2022 will never be asked. Changes are needed that wont happen.

whythelongface
I was born in 1989 so I’m a millennial. Yeah we are all just getting frustrated at the moment. Things are getting said in the heat of the moment.

No excuse though Easty this is how a lot of insults start and people just brush it off as frustration and didn’t mean it.

The Bulldogs Bite
The reality is we have big holes in multiple areas and phases of the game. Off season will be very, very important.

josie
30-06-2022, 11:07 PM
he is not to blame

Agree. Our delivery into F50 and turnovers killed us. Would have been nice to dominate the midfield but after Q1 that didn’t happen. I thought some of our boys kept trying all night eg West but our skills including goal kicking (4 gettable goals missed by Marra and Naughts - a fair way out but still gettable didn’t help either). With Lions one down on bench we simply were not good enough.

Dunks & Adz had below ave games. Lions paid a bit of attention to Libba after Q1.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 11:07 PM

Also, and I know it is not an excuse, but Lions have won the last 25 of 26 games at the Gabba - bloody hard to win there.

Wow that's an amazing stat. I guess we were the last team to beat them.

The Underdog
30-06-2022, 11:09 PM

Ed would have been the best option for Charlie on our list. Big loss. Hope he’s ok for next week.

G-Mo77
30-06-2022, 11:11 PM
We will get unders when he leaves at year end. We were offered a 1st and 2nd pick but wanted 2 1sts. Will be lucky to get a late 1st now.

That's fine, we took a needed gamble. We made a GF with his help last season.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:11 PM
Ed would have been the best option for Charlie on our list. Big loss. Hope he’s ok for next week.

Given Ed wasn’t even tried on Greene a few weeks back I’m doubtful that he would’ve been given the role.

And given our run with concussion there’s no chance he plays.

Happy Days
30-06-2022, 11:13 PM

It’s true. Libba and the fellas stayed up all night making posters for the Roe v Wade rally on Saturday and that’s why we lost.

Unlike Brisbane who have the hardened racist edge of a baby boomer.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 11:14 PM
Given Ed wasn’t even tried on Greene a few weeks back I’m doubtful that he would’ve been given the role.

Charlie is very hard to match up on when the ball hits the ground, otherwise Scott did well in the air.

I don't think we have a matchup for him. Maybe we should have had JJ on him?

Happy Days
30-06-2022, 11:14 PM
Also just noticed “embaressing” which honestly is amazing stuff.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:15 PM
Charlie is very hard to match up on when the ball hits the ground, otherwise Scott did well in the air.

I don't think we have a matchup for him. Maybe we should have had JJ on him?

There’s a reason why JJ now plays as a forward.

And I’m not sure who the match-up for CC should’ve been… our defenders can’t defend hence the poll question.

Happy Days
30-06-2022, 11:15 PM
I’m pretty flat about that but don’t think it’s fatal. We just didn’t have the cattle and were somehow scheduled to travel interstate off consecutive 6 day breaks. Conceding 10 straight free kicks after getting 3 goals up was a real highlight.

The Underdog
30-06-2022, 11:16 PM

Maybe not, but he’s still a small defender who is strong in the air, strong in one on ones and good at ground level, so he would have given support at worst.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 11:18 PM
Did Hunter come back too early?

I didn't think he was ready after the VFL game.

Got a heap of it but didn't look sharp.

SonofScray
30-06-2022, 11:18 PM
Dunkley is worry for mine, has had a poor year still hasn't signed looks a little disinterested. He is at an age where he should be taking his game to the next level but really hasn't improved over the last few years.

Terrible game from dunks. Really poor. Exemplified by his awful handball to West across HFF leading to a turnover and coast to coast goal the other way.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 11:19 PM

He will be better for the run. Too good for VFL, needs a harder hit out

G-Mo77
30-06-2022, 11:19 PM

In short, no.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:20 PM
I’m pretty flat about that but don’t think it’s fatal. We just didn’t have the cattle and were somehow scheduled to travel interstate off consecutive 6 day breaks. Conceding 10 straight free kicks after getting 3 goals up was a real highlight.

Yep… next week will tell me more about our season than tonight. Hopefully we get Tim & Ed back as we need some reinforcements.

angelopetraglia
30-06-2022, 11:21 PM

That run of frees shifted the momentum of the game. No doubt. The effort was there. Players were trying their guts out. Putting bodies on the line. Watching at the ground it looked like we were in complete control around the ball for most of the first half. However, what happens far too often is that you don’t take your chances and they have players who take theirs and have Cameron creating goals from half chances and that’s the ball game.

Definitely the effort dropped away in the second half of that last quarter but the game was shot.

A big class injection of English, Baz, Richards, Caleb and Doc would make a big difference IMHO too.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 11:22 PM
In short, no.

https://media.giphy.com/media/I5xVnGJRHZZf2/giphy.gif

FrediKanoute
30-06-2022, 11:25 PM
Didn't watch the game, but am not surprised by the result.

Feel that we really missed our out's all of who are key players.

Come back to Melbourne, put the game behind us and focus on next week. Hunter will be better for the run; English will hopefully be back as hopefully will Richards; Maybe swap Garcia for McComb. Cody's elbow is hopefully a little better. Sydney is a different proposition.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:27 PM
Do you know what WOKE means?

That's me at the moment I can't sleep.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:29 PM
No English, Baz, Doc, Caleb and Richards hurt… but we just don’t defend the ground well enough.

The one that has hurt us all year is Bruce.

Eastdog
30-06-2022, 11:32 PM

We have missed him. It is a great shame.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:33 PM
It’s true. Libba and the fellas stayed up all night making posters for the Roe v Wade rally on Saturday and that’s why we lost.

Unlike Brisbane who have the hardened racist edge of a baby boomer.

Should be unlike Brisbane who have the hardened racist edge of a right winged baby boomer.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 11:34 PM
Just a very poor performance tonight, outclassed and just not efficient with our ball use.

merantau
30-06-2022, 11:36 PM
I haven't been as disappointed in our performance for a long while. After such a promising start to crumple like a potato chip bag from then on was just awful.

Not much to take away from this. JUH is looking better with each outing. Libba was heroic. Dale was very good. Sweet tried hard. We should back him in. Forget about Schache as a 2nd ruck. It's not his go.

One of the things that really destroys us above the shoulders is our inability to kick goals at important points in a match. And conversely our propensity to give up goals with SECONDS left on the clock. We did it again tonight.

Coleman destroyed us tonight. Did he have an opponent?

Our delivery into the forward 50 was worse than ever and big name players were just as culpable

Eastdog
30-06-2022, 11:45 PM
Poor night for us.

The 1st quarter was the opportunity to take control by hitting the scoreboard because we were well on top but that did not happen and we let the Lions back in.

We started the 2nd quarter well but it wasn’t long until the Lions got back and from then on controlled the game.

Our forward line did not function well tonight. Just couldn’t take a trick up there.

Libba was really good as was Bailey Dale. I thought Sweet tried hard as did Marra. Dom Bendendo had a solid debut.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 11:46 PM
I haven't been as disappointed in our performance for a long while. After such a promising start to crumple like a potato chip back from then on was just awful.

Not much to take away from this. JUH is looking better with each outing. Libba was heroic. Dale was very good. Sweet tried hard. We should back him in. Forget about Schache as a 2nd ruck. It's not his go.

One of the things that really destroys us above the shoulders is our inability to kick goals at important points in a match. And conversely our propensity to give up goals with SECONDS left on the clock. We did it again tonight.

Coleman destroyed us tonight. Did he have an opponent?

Our delivery into the forward 50 was worse than ever and big name players were just as culpable

I was pretty flat have to say.

We needed to at least be competitive, show some fight but to basically lose by 10 goals was a really poor result.

We can talk injuries, and it's true but we also need to recognise the Lions lost their two most experienced players during the game and we were a man up.

I think the biggest loss is Smith. Our midfield is slow without him.

With the run we've got and our form against top 8 sides this season I'm calling it.

Hopefully we can get some list gaps filled over the off season, bring in a decent senior assistant and realise the potential of this group.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:55 PM

But we knew he’d be missing for most of the year and did nothing to replace him…. As has been mentioned lots by posters on here.

The 5 I mentioned have gone out of the team over the last 2-3 weeks and 2 of them (Tim & Baz) have probably been our most influential players when they’ve been on the field.

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2022, 12:17 AM
Flat sums it up. The concentration of injuries to our half back line - Daniel, Richards and Duryea - really hurt. Bailey Smith and Caleb Daniel were devastating in our one point thriller against them last year. While the English injury, given his form this year, has been the bridge too far. I thought Hunter faded badly, will undoubtedly be better for the run, but I much preferred the Scott -Williams wing set up which we had little choice but to abandon.

I’m trying to concentrate on the improvement in Jamarra..what great hands he has, against Harris Andrew’s too. And it was a quality debut for Bedendo..to kick the sort of goal that Certain Others in our team struggle with.

McComb is… very unskilled. I’ve really really REALLY wanted to see Schache succeed. He must never play ruck again and I’m losing faith that he can make it.

Jeanette54
01-07-2022, 01:01 AM

I remember Doug Wade, but who did Roe play for ?

FrediKanoute
01-07-2022, 04:17 AM
We have missed him. It is a great shame.

Yes we have, but we knew he would not be n=back till towards the end of the season, yet we did nothing to address the hole his loss would create. We knew that neither JUH or Schache are the same type of player yet we deliberately/negligently went into 2022 with a game plan that needed 2 big forwards and with only one.

Hotdog60
01-07-2022, 06:48 AM
I thought Sweet battled hard and had a bit more involvement around the ground and his field kicking isn't that bad.
We have to take in to account that he basically missed two seasons because of covid and we didn't play him when we should have.
If Tim comes back in we should keep Sweet in because if we are going to pour money into someone like Lobb to take Sweets spot we need to know that he won't develop any further.

DOG GOD
01-07-2022, 07:32 AM
The year is pretty much done with that run home. We had an opportunity (especially after our start), but once Bris got on top there was no coming back. The fwds couldn’t hold the ball in, the mids refused to work both ways, letting the defence to look extremely mediocre.
Not many winners, although Libba was best for us, followed by Dale. Keath has aged a lot in 12 months body wise, and I literally have no faith in Gardner and O’Brien. Cordy might as well be down there.

We have to have our best 22 out there to beat the big teams. We don’t.

Bullies
01-07-2022, 08:58 AM
Flat sums it up. The concentration of injuries to our half back line - Daniel, Richards and Duryea - really hurt. Bailey Smith and Caleb Daniel were devastating in our one point thriller against them last year. While the English injury, given his form this year, has been the bridge too far. I thought Hunter faded badly, will undoubtedly be better for the run, but I much preferred the Scott -Williams wing set up which we had little choice but to abandon.

I’m trying to concentrate on the improvement in Jamarra..what great hands he has, against Harris Andrew’s too. And it was a quality debut for Bedendo..to kick the sort of goal that Certain Others in our team struggle with.

McComb is… very unskilled. I’ve really really REALLY wanted to see Schache succeed. He must never play ruck again and I’m losing faith that he can make it. You make some excellent points. We missed Scott playing on the wing where his elite skills set up so many scoring opportunities. Last night his intention was to try and stop Cameron so that deprived us of his run and kicking. We miss the run of Bailey as well. The drop off by Crozier in the last 2 years. He has fallen off a cliff and surely we wont see him again in the 1's.

It is bizarre how McComb with his skills is even on the list. At 27 what does he offer. At the same time we had Boyd in the 2's who has elite skill and speed and is now killing it at Carlton and is only 21.

Bedendo is the type who will excel in the 1's. The higher the level he plays the better he is and will be in years to come. I think Arthur Jones will be the same where he will find it easier to play 1's than 2's as he can be brought into the game.

Happy for Jamarra. He is slowly working into it and give him 2 years and he will no doubt be elite. With Darcy to come in all is not lost. Injuries have also decimated us but it proves that some we have on hte list have been given opportunities but are not up to it.

Bullies
01-07-2022, 09:03 AM
I thought Sweet battled hard and had a bit more involvement around the ground and his field kicking isn't that bad.
We have to take in to account that he basically missed two seasons because of covid and we didn't play him when we should have.
If Tim comes back in we should keep Sweet in because if we are going to pour money into someone like Lobb to take Sweets spot we need to know that he won't develop any further. Agree with this. Sweet's tap work is excellent and gives us a "clean clearence" a lot of the time rather than us getting a clearence from the opposition under pressure. He won't get much of it around the ground but he can smash packs and bring it to ground. The club did tell him to curb his agression which we probably need at the moment. Let the boy play.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 09:12 AM
But we knew he’d be missing for most of the year and did nothing to replace him…. As has been mentioned lots by posters on here.

The 5 I mentioned have gone out of the team over the last 2-3 weeks and 2 of them (Tim & Baz) have probably been our most influential players when they’ve been on the field.

Agree on this.

The Doctor
01-07-2022, 09:14 AM
I remember Doug Wade, but who did Roe play for ?

Collingwood & Brisbane

Sedat
01-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Brisbane scored 28 times from 50 inside 50's. Either our personnel is utterly broken in the back 6, there is a major flaw in our defensive structure when we don't have the ball, or a combination of both.

Both flaws are the responsibility of the footy dept, part list management and part coaching. I just hope they are fixed immediately so we don't completely waste the Bontempelli era.

bornadog
01-07-2022, 09:58 AM
Brisbane scored 28 times from 50 inside 50's. Either our personnel is utterly broken in the back 6, there is a major flaw in our defensive structure when we don't have the ball, or a combination of both.

Both flaws are the responsibility of the footy dept, part list management and part coaching. I just hope they are fixed immediately so we don't completely waste the Bontempelli era.

Agree completely, and also we underestimate how much Doc controls and directs the backline during a game.

bornadog
01-07-2022, 10:00 AM
I know a few thought (including me) what the hell is TOB doing. Well thinking about it, he played on McStay and kept him out of the game.

Sedat
01-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Our lack of depth in rucks and key position stocks (forward and back) was obvious after the GF. The club already stated we are clearly in the premiership window, so it was incumbent on the footy dept to secure both short-term and long-term options to rectifying these issues. Getting JUH and Darcy took care of the long-term but we actually took a step backwards in the short-term after losing Young in the off-season.

I get that list spots are precious but so is winning flags - there were mature ruck/forwards available at the end of last season that would have taken the pressure off Naughton and English respectively (Gold Coast managed to bring in 2 of them in one hit, just as their great white hope did his knee). We at least tried to address the key defensive depth with O'Brien, even if the small sample size so far is not positive.

I still believe our season is far from over and we will make a run, but the clock is ticking to put it mildly. However, if our season does meekly fizzle out, I expect nothing less that the club to conduct a forensic examination of how a self-assessed premiership contender (their assessment, not the media or mine) can somehow miss finals. The club needs to be held 100% accountable to the standards they have set for themselves.

azabob
01-07-2022, 10:15 AM
ve.

I still believe our season is far from over and we will make a run, but the clock is ticking to put it mildly. However, if our season does meekly fizzle out, I expect nothing less that the club to conduct a forensic examination of how a self-assessed premiership contender (their assessment, not the media or mine) can somehow miss finals. The club needs to be held 100% accountable to the standards they have set for themselves.

Really? Especially with all the issues you have pointed out.

What part of the geelong loss and the effort last night gives you hope?

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 10:22 AM

While I think we have a great midfield I'm not sure we use them the right way. There isn't enough of the defensive aspect that we need to use at times. I mentioned during the trade period discussions that we should have looked towards George Hewitt who has a great mix of both ball getting and accountability that was lacking in our midfield rotations.

It's a conundrum for us at the moment, a highlight talented midfield group but one that lets us down in more games than they should.

I agree it's not a Schache and Gardner problem.

Sedat
01-07-2022, 10:49 AM

All clubs have strengths and weaknesses and ours is no exception. We ran the table last year and there is no reason we can't do so again with the majority of our playing group back and healthy for the remainder of the season.

I simply believe that our club would not be so deceptive to their own supporters to make self-assessments that we are in premiership contention for the next few years, and then not back it up without being accountable to the goals they set. They live and breathe the club on a daily basis, so I'm sure they have contingencies in place to achieve their set goals and will act accordingly if those standards are not achieved. Just like any serious organisation would do.

Sedat
01-07-2022, 10:52 AM
While I think we have a great midfield I'm not sure we use them the right way. There isn't enough of the defensive aspect that we need to use at times. I mentioned during the trade period discussions that we should have looked towards George Hewitt who has a great mix of both ball getting and accountability that was lacking in our midfield rotations.

It's a conundrum for us at the moment, a highlight talented midfield group but one that lets us down in more games than they should.

McLean will be a very important addition to the midfield mix for the remainder of the season to give better balance between offense and defence.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 10:52 AM
Bevo said in his presser last night we had 9 changes to the team the beat Brisbane last year. We will be much better when we get the band back together....as long as it is not too late.

Danjul
01-07-2022, 11:00 AM

We are wasting our time discussing players. The list exists and you do your best with it.

But we don’t, and waste the opportunity to improve by hunting for scapegoats.

The game plan has serious deficiencies and they were clearly on display last night. And they were in earlier games. And we will see them until we recruit 10 champions who can make it work (my calculations suggest it might happen in 2028 - certainly not earlier).

Look at why the opposition controls aspects of the game. Where are our players in relation to the opposition? Answer: nowhere near them.

Analyse the outside 5 tactics. When the opposition has a set kick they stand still, look forward, run forward and kick at a narrow angle from goal. Time taken: 3.2 seconds. Result: open play ahead.

When our guys get it the opposition runs over the mark and stands (the umpires rarely pull them back properly). So our guys slowly walk back 10 metres. Time: 5.8 seconds. All targets covered. Kick to a pack. By the time the ball gets to the forward line opportunities have evaporated.

They take every opportunity to crowd and corral our players, we treat them as though they have the plague.

Our game is clearly stop-start while the opposition flows.

So our success is confined to weaker teams. Even Adelaide and Port showed us up. They were the disasters, not last night.

What’s the solution? Well it was discovered in 1923. Ever since, it’s been referred to as man-up!

Bullies
01-07-2022, 11:11 AM

I agree it's not a Schache and Gardner problem. We have Dunks who should be doing the Hewitt role. He was renowned for it to begin with and got his hands dirty but he has gone to a less accountable role these days wanting to accumulate stats.

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 11:12 AM
McLean will be a very important addition to the midfield mix for the remainder of the season to give better balance between offense and defence.

Do we send him to enough midfield contests to think that might make a difference?

G-Mo77
01-07-2022, 11:12 AM
I know a few thought (including me) what the hell is TOB doing. Well thinking about it, he played on McStay and kept him out of the game.

Oh please. McStay was a decoy all night, opening up avenues for their other forwards. Tim O'Brien is rubbish, the sooner we realise that the better off we'll be.

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 11:13 AM
We have Dunks who should be doing the Hewitt role. He was renowned for it to begin with and got his hands dirty but he has gone to a less accountable role these days wanting to accumulate stats.

I wonder if we have been concerned about using him in that manner given it might make him more of a flight risk.
He should be doing more defensive roles for us but I think believe we have been asking him to do that.

Mantis
01-07-2022, 11:16 AM
Oh please. McStay was a decoy all night, opening up avenues for their other forwards. Tim O'Brien is rubbish, the sooner we realise that the better off we'll be.

So how is the fact that McStay was used as a decoy O’Brien’s fault?

Maybe he should’ve zoned off a bit more to assist others, but I don’t think he was an issue last night.

G-Mo77
01-07-2022, 11:27 AM

Maybe he should’ve zoned off a bit more to assist others, but I don’t think he was an issue last night.

I'm just tired of seeing these players who are clearly not up to it in the team week in, week out. I'd rather Cordy in the team and that's saying something.

McComb another, can't hit a target, plays every game.

These are small things and don't change the result but the fact we're relying on substandard VFL quality players to fix out problems is a big problem.

Sedat
01-07-2022, 11:40 AM
Do we send him to enough midfield contests to think that might make a difference?
In those few games last year when he return to the team and prior to his 2nd knee injury, McLean really gave us better balance and opposition accountability in the midfield. I know it was a small sample size but on the eye test it just worked.

Scorlibo
01-07-2022, 11:45 AM

I'll bite.

Our midfield is the best in the competition bar none. They work off a handicap in the form of sub-par rucking and still register the best clearance differential league-wide. Close to the best inside fifty differential. They're incredible.

Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore are generational players. Treloar is a jet, Dunkley would make any side better. Baz could be anything.

I'm all for asking questions at this point, but let's direct them to the areas of the ground that actually require attention.

We're currently playing three key defenders who wouldn't get a game for many other teams. Keath has fallen miles aways from his 2021 form, Gardner (who has improved) has gone from a whipping boy to incredibly overrated, O'Brien is depth.

Our forward line is disorganised, possibly the worst in the league at creating space and clear options for the mids. How many times have we won the inside fifty count this year and lost? I don't accept that it's down to ball use going inside fifty. When a forward line functions well, there's a clear option presented to the ball carrier. The year is 2022, the mids get one second to sum up their options, the forwards need to make life easier for the mids, not the other way around.

Mantis
01-07-2022, 11:51 AM
I'll bite.

Our midfield is the best in the competition bar none. They work off a handicap in the form of sub-par rucking and still register the best clearance differential league-wide. Close to the best inside fifty differential. They're incredible.

Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore are generational players. Treloar is a jet, Dunkley would make any side better. Baz could be anything.

I'm all for asking questions at this point, but let's direct them to the areas of the ground that actually require attention.

We're currently playing three key defenders who wouldn't get a game for many other teams. Keath has fallen miles aways from his 2021 form, Gardner (who has improved) has gone from a whipping boy to incredibly overrated, O'Brien is depth.

Our forward line is disorganised, possibly the worst in the league at creating space and clear options for the mids. How many times have we won the inside fifty count this year and lost? I don't accept that it's down to ball use going inside fifty. When a forward line functions well, there's a clear option presented to the ball carrier. The year is 2022, the mids get one second to sum up their options, the forwards need to make life easier for the mids, not the other way around.

Some balanced views there… nice work.

However…. Our mids are all see ball, get ball and as a group are extremely poor in the turnover game as they don’t hunt for an opponent and all seem to coast. They all don’t kick the ball well either…. We get lots of looks, but don’t hurt the opposition enough.

The backline to a man can’t defend. Dale is purely an attacker, a really good one, but doesn’t defend. Agree on the key backs… as a group they’re poor and get beaten by their opponents too often.

Forwardline isn’t great, but generally isn’t made up of true forwards… but need to squeeze all our mids in! The leading patterns are poor and we seem to get in each other’s way constantly…. But maybe with a new line coach it will take time??

Danjul
01-07-2022, 12:52 PM

McStay saw half as much of the ball as usual. And since when have players been selected as decoys. That was fake news to justify selecting an unfit player, now for some reason it is a’thing’???

Happy Days
01-07-2022, 01:06 PM
McStay saw half as much of the ball as usual. And since when have players been selected as decoys. That was fake news to justify selecting an unfit player, now for some reason it is a’thing’???

Dunno if you noticed but McStay is actually alive so I don’t think this evidences whatever point you were trying to make last week.

Danjul
01-07-2022, 01:31 PM
Dunno if you noticed but McStay is actually alive so I don’t think this evidences whatever point you were trying to make last week.
McStay was not only alive and well but playing on his home turf after a longer break than the Dogs. His selection was due to his proven ability to get the ball frequently and reliably keep the scoring ticking over by kicking goals and giving others opportunities.

Last night he was taken out of the game. You could say O’Brien killed him (In a football sense).

Grantysghost
01-07-2022, 01:47 PM

I can't see a run coming. That team looked pretty cooked after throwing all they had at an actual contender.

Happy Days
01-07-2022, 01:47 PM
McStay was not only alive and well but playing on his home turf after a longer break than the Dogs. His selection was due to his proven ability to get the ball frequently and reliably keep the scoring ticking over by kicking goals and giving others opportunities.

Last night he was taken out of the game. You could say O’Brien killed him (In a football sense).

Damn I’m actually agreeing with you. To be fair to me you can’t actually expect me to read the thread back.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2022, 01:55 PM
TOB is fine.

Not the answer, not a star, but he can be 'fine' if he's got the right support around him.

The problem is he doesn't and my concern is that one is finished (Keath) while another isn't up to the level (Gardner). Put TOB in Melbourne's side and he would be solid.

Happy Days
01-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Thought Keath and TOB were fine and Gardner was pretty brutal. The issue is that they give us nothing other than defense, which they don’t even do well. You can live with it with Gardner but O’Brien was brought in specifically to improve the intercept game.

If we can get them to create transition rather than stoppages it will make Dale, Daniel and Richards all the more dangerous. But I don’t think they can.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 02:24 PM
TOB is fine.

Not the answer, not a star, but he can be 'fine' if he's got the right support around him.

The problem is he doesn't and my concern is that one is finished (Keath) while another isn't up to the level (Gardner). Put TOB in Melbourne's side and he would be solid.

Wouldn't be surprised if Keath is carrying an injury. Coming off the ground he looked like man double his age. Determined to get that extra year maybe.

bornadog
01-07-2022, 02:39 PM
TOB is fine.

Priority has got to be a quality back.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2022, 03:51 PM
Priority has got to be a quality back.

Or two.

GVGjr
01-07-2022, 03:52 PM
TOB is fine.

I agree, no problems with TOB. He's not going to be a star for us but lets see if we can get him to that solid stage.

G-Mo77
01-07-2022, 04:03 PM
I agree, no problems with TOB. He's not going to be a star for us but lets see if we can get him to that solid stage.

What does he do though? Seriously I watch every week, I don't put him under a microscope though. I just can't see what he brings to this team, someone please educate me if I'm wrong. Everyone said when we got him he'll be our Easton Wood. He isn't even close to Easton on his last legs.

Danjul
01-07-2022, 04:21 PM
What does he do though? Seriously I watch every week, I don't put him under a microscope though. I just can't see what he brings to this team, someone please educate me if I'm wrong. Everyone said when we got him he'll be our Easton Wood. He isn't even close to Easton on his last legs.
Our game plan allows the opposition to burst out of our forward line, race through the middle and allow low pressure kicks into the forward line. I think our backmen have a really difficult job.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Wood was destroyed in the GF (not alone).

I know what you are saying, but the gap between 2021 Wood and 2022 TOB isn't that big. TOB has shown an ability to use his athleticism to spoil the ball or on the occasion, take an intercept mark. I'm not sure we're using him as well as we could as that intercept player as he seems to often take his turn on dangerous KPFs which simply isn't his go.

I think he has some nice traits, and when he can run/jump he's usually able to get a fist to the ball, it's just we don't have the right cattle to support him.

Bullies
01-07-2022, 04:50 PM
Wood was destroyed in the GF (not alone).

I know what you are saying, but the gap between 2021 Wood and 2022 TOB isn't that big. TOB has shown an ability to use his athleticism to spoil the ball or on the occasion, take an intercept mark. I'm not sure we're using him as well as we could as that intercept player as he seems to often take his turn on dangerous KPFs which simply isn't his go.

I think he has some nice traits, and when he can run/jump he's usually able to get a fist to the ball, it's just we don't have the right cattle to support him. Wood was cooked by the GF last year. He was playing on reputation only but he deserved his spot for what he had done for the club and had a few credits in the bank. TOB is 27 and supposed to be at his peak. His peak is nothing like Easton Wood. Ask any Hawthorn supporter what they think and they will tell you it was buyer beware.

mjp
01-07-2022, 09:17 PM

We have had the same midfield group for 1 + 1/2 full seasons.

Are we any closer to knowing that the 'BEST' mix of players might be than we were when Adam Treloar first walked through the doors and Josh Dunkley was not even a twinkle in his eye?

This is the part I get frustrated with. Who actually plays where? How are the rotations structured?? It is maddening. No one (players) seems to know what their role should be when the chips are down. Example:

- Oppo kick 3-4 in a row.
- First quarter of an important game. 10 i50's to 3 (our favour) but we aren't scoring.
- Our 19 point lead in the grand final has withered away in a 5-minute burst and Melbourne are lining up for another (I'm not bitter).

What is the 'best' group and are the players prepared to set their egos aside to enable that group to go to work.

I know I continually sing from the same hymn book on this point but it's exhausting.

DOG GOD
02-07-2022, 10:02 AM
Our mids are a group of prima donnas who refuse to play a defensive role. It will never change as long as they are at the club.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 10:08 AM
We have had the same midfield group for 1 + 1/2 full seasons.

Are we any closer to knowing that the 'BEST' mix of players might be than we were when Adam Treloar first walked through the doors and Josh Dunkley was not even a twinkle in his eye?

This is the part I get frustrated with. Who actually plays where? How are the rotations structured?? It is maddening. No one (players) seems to know what their role should be when the chips are down. Example:

- Oppo kick 3-4 in a row.
- First quarter of an important game. 10 i50's to 3 (our favour) but we aren't scoring.
- Our 19 point lead in the grand final has withered away in a 5-minute burst and Melbourne are lining up for another (I'm not bitter).

What is the 'best' group and are the players prepared to set their egos aside to enable that group to go to work.

I know I continually sing from the same hymn book on this point but it's exhausting.

I'm not sure what Treloar's best role is. We've shoehorned him into a mid forward role and I'm not convinced that's his best spot.
Was a contested beast most of his career, we taken that away and dropped a ton of weight off him. Now he's like a flighty flanker.
Fatten the kid up get him in the guts more!

Mantis
02-07-2022, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what Treloar's best role is. We've shoehorned him into a mid forward role and I'm not convinced that's his best spot.
Was a contested beast most of his career, we taken that away and dropped a ton of weight off him. Now he's like a flighty flanker.
Fatten the kid up get him in the guts more!

He dropped weight because he couldn’t run and was having persistent issues with soft tissue injuries… so let’s get him fat so he can sit on the sidelines?

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 04:21 PM
He dropped weight because he couldn’t run and was having persistent issues with soft tissue injuries… so let’s get him fat so he can sit on the sidelines?
Can we go in the middle somewhere?

He’s not a 900k per season player with his present output.

He is probably in the top 2 or 3 money earners on the list and in the 10-15 range for influence / importance. I get we don’t pay it all but I’d say 600 is pushing it at the moment.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 05:28 PM
Can we go in the middle somewhere?

He’s not a 900k per season player with his present output.

He is probably in the top 2 or 3 money earners on the list and in the 10-15 range for influence / importance. I get we don’t pay it all but I’d say 600 is pushing it at the moment.

I more than happy with Treloar, he is a class act. He is averaging 28 disposals a game and almost a goal a game.

He is not our issue.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 05:42 PM
I more than happy with Treloar, he is a class act. He is averaging 28 disposals a game and almost a goal a game.

He is not our issue.

He's not providing 900k a year influence is my point.

He should be getting best on more than he does.

However is this because we've shoehorned him to a role that doesn't suit him because he was surplus to need in his primary position?

I believe that's the case.

Of course he's a good player anywhere.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 05:45 PM
He's not providing 900k a year influence is my point.

He should be getting best on more than he does.

However is this because we've shoehorned him to a role that doesn't suit him because he was surplus to need in his primary position?

I believe that's the case.

Of course he's a good player anywhere.

You mean 600k :)

I honestly don't care what players are paid.

jeemak
02-07-2022, 06:00 PM
He's delivering $600K influence and that's what we're paying him.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 06:08 PM
He's delivering $600K influence and that's what we're paying him.

For the player should it matter where the money comes from?
Does he go out there and try 600k worth?
Do his team mates think that's cool?

I don't know where I'm going with this but I'm enjoying the journey xD

jeemak
02-07-2022, 07:10 PM
For the player should it matter where the money comes from?
Does he go out there and try 600k worth?
Do his team mates think that's cool?

I don't know where I'm going with this but I'm enjoying the journey xD

Collingwood was stupid enough to pay him ridiculous money, we weren't.

He should be living up to what his contract with us is, which he probably is give or take some days.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 08:14 PM

He should be living up to what his contract with us is, which he probably is give or take some days.

Not a bad deal for Adz. Dial it in for 300k.

jeemak
02-07-2022, 08:18 PM
Not a bad deal for Adz. Dial it in for 300k.

Call it whatever you want.

bornadog
02-07-2022, 10:51 PM

Pretty sure they pushed his payments to backend it and it just grew and grew - complete List management incompetence.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 11:11 PM
Pretty sure they pushed his payments to backend it and it just grew and grew - complete List management incompetence.

I believe we front loaded his contract too to help out the pies so they probably still owe him a heap.

So we are probably paying most of his contract so far.

jeemak
02-07-2022, 11:26 PM
I don't even know what this conversation is about anymore.

Grantysghost
02-07-2022, 11:35 PM
I don't even know what this conversation is about anymore.

https://media.giphy.com/media/XJeMBHJ0c2YcN6KTQ8/giphy-downsized-large.gif

GVGjr
04-07-2022, 01:28 PM
Does anyone else think Hipwood is going to get off for pushing Gardner into the umpire?

azabob
04-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Does anyone else think Hipwood is going to get off for pushing Gardner into the umpire?

Other than a fine?

Grantysghost
04-07-2022, 01:46 PM

The commentariat hasn't been outraged enough for him to get his right whack. He will get 1 week I'd guess and a stern warning.

GVGjr
04-07-2022, 01:53 PM
Other than a fine?

Will he even get that or has he already received it?

azabob
04-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Will he even get that or has he already received it?

I think he will get a fine. He has been referred to the tribunal and they will likely fine him.

If Gardner crashed into the umpire without the push would he receive a fine or a suspension?

Insufficient Intent
04-07-2022, 02:34 PM
I think he will get a fine. He has been referred to the tribunal and they will likely fine him.

If Gardner crashed into the umpire without the push would he receive a fine or a suspension?

If Gardner himself did the crashing, I'd think it it would be judged on a severity scale and perhaps prior history as to whether fine or suspension.
Surely weaponising your opponent to effect the crash is a far more heinous offence?
A hefty rather than token fine and a stern warning?

I'm undecided!

bornadog
04-07-2022, 02:36 PM
If Gardner himself did the crashing, I'd think it it would be judged on a severity scale and perhaps prior history as to whether fine or suspension.
Surely weaponising your opponent to effect the crash is a far more heinous offence?
A hefty rather than token fine and a stern warning?

I'm undecided!

In the end will depend what the rule is. If the AFL argues deliberate, then that will have to be proven

Grantysghost
04-07-2022, 05:33 PM
Aflca votes :

Brisbane v Western Bulldogs

10 Charlie Cameron (BL)
8 Keidean Coleman (BL)
4 Tom Liberatore (WB)
3 Lachie Neale (BL)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Jarrod Berry (BL)

LEADERBOARD
83 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
68 Lachie Neale (BL)
65 Touk Miller (GCFC)
65 Christian Petracca (MELB)
64 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
63 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
60 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
52 Connor Rozee (PORT)
48 Callum Mills (SYD)
45 Sam Walsh (CARL)
44 James Sicily (HAW)
43 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
43 Bailey Smith (WB)
42 Jack Crisp (COLL)
42 Jack Sinclair (STK)
41 Sam Docherty (CARL)
41 Darcy Parish (ESS)
40 Max Gawn (MELB)
37 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
37 Taylor Walker (ADEL)

Hotdog60
04-07-2022, 06:08 PM
It's the AFL Gardner will get 8 weeks for contacting an umpire and Hipwood will be nominated for the hall of fame.

Mantis
04-07-2022, 07:15 PM
Aflca votes :

Brisbane v Western Bulldogs

10 Charlie Cameron (BL)
8 Keidean Coleman (BL)
4 Tom Liberatore (WB)
3 Lachie Neale (BL)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Jarrod Berry (BL)

LEADERBOARD
83 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
68 Lachie Neale (BL)
65 Touk Miller (GCFC)
65 Christian Petracca (MELB)
64 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
63 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
60 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
52 Connor Rozee (PORT)
48 Callum Mills (SYD)
45 Sam Walsh (CARL)
44 James Sicily (HAW)
43 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
43 Bailey Smith (WB)
42 Jack Crisp (COLL)
42 Jack Sinclair (STK)
41 Sam Docherty (CARL)
41 Darcy Parish (ESS)
40 Max Gawn (MELB)
37 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
37 Taylor Walker (ADEL)

How the *!*!*!*! is Connor Rozee in the top 10 for this award? Is Kane Cornes completing votes on Port's games?

We all think the Bont is having a down year... and he no doubt is, but he's out-performing Rozee in pretty much every stat category imaginable.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2022, 07:25 PM
How the *!*!*!*! is Connor Rozee in the top 10 for this award? Is Kane Cornes completing votes on Port's games?

We all think the Bont is having a down year... and he no doubt is, but he's out-performing Rozee in pretty much every stat category imaginable.

Coaches are biased/use the votes to send a message about roles etc.

Not trying to be an all about the team guy but I really struggle with individual awards (outside of best and fairests). Also, I agree with all that you said ha.

Grantysghost
04-07-2022, 07:39 PM
Some oppo coaches must've voted for him too? I've got nfi how he is going to be fair but I find these votes generally ok. I don't doubt what you're saying RJ.