View Full Version : Rating our list 2021

Hotdog60
16-04-2022, 08:56 AM
The results are in:
As voted by WOOF.

Elite Players we have 8 in total
This may tell more of a story with 6 players Above Average
Over half our team is Average with the total at 16
Below Average wasn't so bad if you take into account some of these players are still learning the game at 7 in total.

Our Elite players are Keath, Daniel, Naughton, Liberatore, Macrae, Smith, Bontempelli and Treloar

Followed by our Above Average players Williams, Dale, Bruce, Duryea, Hunter and Dunkley.

Do we have too many average players on our list and I realise ever team needs their foot soldiers but it that holding us back from sustained finals success.

Hotdog60
16-04-2022, 08:59 AM
What makes this worse is the Bruce is injured and Williams is having a stinker at the moment so that drops the above average total really to 4 players.

Bulldog Joe
16-04-2022, 09:33 AM
What makes this worse is the Bruce is injured and Williams is having a stinker at the moment so that drops the above average total really to 4 players.

Williams performance so far in 2022 has moved him to below average.

If Keath was fit he would be the one playing at Footscray.

Grantysghost
16-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Thanks for doing this HD60.

Really enjoyed the process of analysing the list.

8 elite is pretty amazing, however it's an interesting contrast to the glut of average players.

Average to me isn't bad necessarily though, it's adequate but maybe we need a few of those guys to migrate to above average to really propel us to the next level.

bornadog
16-04-2022, 10:39 AM
I still think Keath is not quite elite. Need to compare him with the best Fullbacks/CHB in the game.

boydogs
17-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Treloar is not better than Dunkley. Move he and Williams down and you're getting closer. Its a good list, we were winning a GF, the 4 finals on the road just meant we ran out of puff, that's not a list management issue

comrade
17-04-2022, 11:57 AM
English has probably moved into above average over the first 5 games, and if he maintains this level for the season will be considered elite I imagine. Weightman is another that will move up a level by the end of the season.

I’m also becoming a true believer in Dale. I think the penny has dropped completely for him and he will be considered an elite half back flanker for the next few years.

Our top echelon is just about the best in the league in terms of raw numbers and quality, but the issue is the type of players that aren’t featured. Not enough talls or forwards in that elite group, too many mids and flankers and we see that structural imbalance play out on field.

Hotdog60
17-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Treloar is not better than Dunkley. Move he and Williams down and you're getting closer. Its a good list, we were winning a GF, the 4 finals on the road just meant we ran out of puff, that's not a list management issue

I rated Treloar above average because he looks good on the outside of the contest but for me his defensive side is very ordinary and I can only go by what I see on TV but it looks like if he can't lay a tackle in the first metre he gives up the chase.
I don't know if he is in preservation mode due to his injury history but it looks bad and devoid of effort to apply pressure to his opponent.

macca
17-04-2022, 12:49 PM
I rated Treloar above average because he looks good on the outside of the contest but for me his defensive side is very ordinary and I can only go by what I see on TV but it looks like if he can't lay a tackle in the first metre he gives up the chase.
I don't know if he is in preservation mode due to his injury history but it looks bad and devoid of effort to apply pressure to his opponent.

I have the same observation . Why is he not accelerating to chase down players when they are 2-3 m away ?

Is it those burst of speed put pressure on the Hammies which could lead to injuries ?

Go_Dogs
17-04-2022, 12:57 PM
Thanks HD60 for running this - certainly trumps what champion data do.

We have a lot of top end talent, and definitely the depth in the midfield, so it’s really about getting the mix and balance right each week, and then continuing the growth of our younger sub-100 game players to move up the rating system. As called out, English and Weightman are well on their way now.