PDA

View Full Version : Always Right - Match Committee Thread RD 7 vs Essendon

GVGjr
23-04-2022, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Seven match against Essendon?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

azabob
23-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Gee not sure we have many replacements to come in but surely the following come under scrutiny

Martin, Richards, Williams, McComb, Schache, McNeil, Ugle-Hagan

Happy Days
23-04-2022, 05:44 PM
I reckon we need to park Jamarra until we actually start winning some games. With all these guys out we can’t afford to carry him in the name of development.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2022, 05:46 PM
I reckon we need to park Jamarra until we actually start winning some games. With all these guys out we can’t afford to carry him in the name of development.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but what's the alternative? Play Schache or Martin?

I'm happy to wear losses and lack of impact and deal with short term pain if it means he learns some hard lessons, but him learning little in the VFL while we play guys who should be delisted/retired is pointless

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Time to start the tank.

We need a Jackson, Pickett draft.

Happy Days
23-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but what's the alternative? Play Schache or Martin?

I'm happy to wear losses and lack of impact and deal with short term pain if it means he learns some hard lessons, but him learning little in the VFL while we play guys who should be delisted/retired is pointless

That is a good point.

The cupboard really is bare. Crozier? I reckon Crozier is better than McComb, maybe we do that.

What a bummer this all is.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately the last 2 drafts in which we gave up a lot of draft picks for Marra and Darc shut us out of recruiting better players than we did.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 05:56 PM
That is a good point.

The cupboard really is bare. Crozier? I reckon Crozier is better than McComb, maybe we do that.

What a bummer this all is.

McComb is a midfielder…. That’s where he plays.

Did he have any midfield minutes today?

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:09 PM
The cupboard is bare. Very bare.

Who do we have playing in the VFL today?

Khamis
Crozier
Jones
Butler
West
Sweet
Parker

I can't see any of those stepping in and helping us at the moment.

Happy Days
23-04-2022, 06:10 PM

Not that that was the point I was making, but is that relevant? We need another midfielder like a hole in the head.

I meant more that as much as we want to swing changes the cupboard is bare

GVGjr
23-04-2022, 06:10 PM
I agree.
What's his tally so far in 5 games? I think it's 6 disposals a game.
He will eventually come good but sure a 15 possession game at the VFL is needed

azabob
23-04-2022, 06:11 PM

If he’s a midfielder only, why did we select him?

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:13 PM
Our current injury list.

Bedendo - not in best 22
Bruce - automatic selection
Darcy - untried
Garcia - fringe player
Hannan - automatic selection
Hunter - automatic selection
JJ - automatic selection
Keath - automatic selection
McLean - fringe (could be automatic at his best)
Vanda - automatic selection
Wallis - fringe

Six players inside our best 22 are unavailable. The six that are replacing them are no where good enough yet. We can't cover the injuries. Those hurting us the most.

English - our only ruck and in unbelivable form
Keath - probably our most important player for team structure

bornadog
23-04-2022, 06:15 PM

I really wasn't impressed with him at the VFL last week, his disposal was suss, and he showed today when he couldn't hit one target

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:18 PM

The cupboard is bare. We have 25% of our 44 available players injured or unavailable. Injuries are definitely not helping us.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 06:19 PM
The cupboard is bare. We have 25% of our 44 available players injured or unavailable. Injuries are definitely not helping us.

Ruck, CHB, CHF for starters

azabob
23-04-2022, 06:25 PM
I really wasn't impressed with him at the VFL last week, his disposal was suss, and he showed today when he couldn't hit one target

Yep, he also wasn’t clean with his hands in the contest

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Ruck, CHB, CHF for starters

Yes. Players we just don't have the depth to cover.

1) We are all too quick to forget that Bruce kicked 48 goals from 20 games last year. He finished fourth in the Coleman medal. That is difficult to replace.

2) Keath is our most important defender by the length of the Flemington straight.

3) English is our only ruck and his from this season has been great.

Incredibly difficult to replace those players.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 06:29 PM

NFI… I guess he was the best performer at that level, but player in an unfamiliar position is just dumb… but we do it all the time.

G-Mo77
23-04-2022, 06:31 PM
We really could have got that back up ruck for English. There were quite a few we could have had a shot at in the offseason. We went with Martin and signed Sweet who Bevo won't play anyway.

We signed O'Brien who has our defensive depth.

We've got egg on our face now because we can't cover them. We never tried to really. It's disappointing

GVGjr
23-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Yes. Players we just don't have the depth to cover.

1) We are all too quick to forget that Bruce kicked 48 goals from 20 games last year. He finished fourth in the Coleman medal. That is difficult to replace.

2) Keath is our most important defender by the length of the Flemington straight.

3) English is our only ruck and his from this season has been great.

Incredibly difficult to replace those players.

1) Did we try and replace him during the trade period?
3) Did we try and strengthen our ruck options? We lost English last season with concussion. With Covid and the threat of injuries there was always a chance he was going to miss some footy this year.

I don't we planned well to fix our depth at KP.

Swoop
23-04-2022, 07:02 PM
With regards to McComb, he'd be the first person to admit that it wasn't his best game but it was his first game of AFL football. He's not the reason we win or lose, and I wonder if expectations would be tempered if he was 18 years old.

He played a high half forward role today similar to what Garcia was brought in to do. Yes, he is a midfielder first and foremost but he's more than capable of playing the role. He struggled with the pace of the game and executed poorly but he won't be the first AFL debutant to experience this.

His form warranted selection and don't have any issue with him being given the opportunity.

I agree with giving Jamarra a spell in the VFL. There's no shame in going back and working at a lower standard to improve specific aspects of his game. In the long term it will make him a better player. I understand the experience argument and lack or alternatives but is there any evidence suggesting that struggling at AFL level is better than thriving at VFL? Lots of players have developed in the VFL and it's not a sign of weakness on his behalf.

Although he's not heralded, we're missing Hannan's versatility in our forward line. His ability to block, sacrifice, as well as, playing tall or short is important to the way we set-up.

Swoop
23-04-2022, 07:15 PM
3) Did we try and strengthen our ruck options? We lost English last season with concussion. With Covid and the threat of injuries there was always a chance he was going to miss some footy this year.

I don't we planned well to fix our depth at KP.

It's a valid argument but is the support of Martin and Sweet worse than other backups if other teams lost their number one ruckman?

West Coast have replaced Nic Nat with Bailey Williams which isn't great. Last year Witts did his ACLand that didn't even replace him with a recognised ruckman?

The extension to the problem is that Sweet has missed out on ruck minutes in the VFL when both have played. How would we manage a third developing ruck? I'm not suggesting Darcy can ruck in the short term but the club would also have been hoping to develop Sam at VFL level.

I'm not sure the solution but we're not alone with this problem.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 07:31 PM
It's a valid argument but is the support of Martin and Sweet worse than other backups if other teams lost their number one ruckman?

West Coast have replaced Nic Nat with Bailey Williams which isn't great. Last year Witts did his ACLand that didn't even replace him with a recognised ruckman?

The extension to the problem is that Sweet has missed out on ruck minutes in the VFL when both have played. How would we manage a third developing ruck? I'm not suggesting Darcy can ruck in the short term but the club would also have been hoping to develop Sam at VFL level.

I'm not sure the solution but we're not alone with this problem.

Spot on Swoop very hard to replace your best players with depth players. They can't play at the same skill level.

Just on your previous post, I don't blame McComb for losing - as you say his first game, he would be disappointed in that.

I do blame the more experienced players for the worse skills we have shown for some time, probably matches the first quarter against Melbourne in round one where kicks and handballs were too wild.

Dancin' Douggy
23-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Wait, what???? You mean we weren't tanking today???

Seems a sensible option TBH
Time to start the tank.

We need a Jackson, Pickett draft.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Mitch Wallis was out due to his mother in law being hit by a car and unforntuantely passing away on Thursday. Also, his wife Emily is a week overdue. Just tragic for Mitch and the family.

bornadog
23-04-2022, 07:39 PM
Mitch Wallis was out due to his mother in law being hit by a car and unforntuantely passing away on Thursday. Also, his wife Emily is a week overdue. Just tragic for Mitch and the family.

That is tragic

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 07:46 PM

Oh no poor Mitch and his family.

That's horrendous.

Dancin' Douggy
23-04-2022, 07:46 PM
That certainly puts things in perspective. That is so awfully sad.

whythelongface
23-04-2022, 08:29 PM

Hence the black armbands. No doubt the team would be feeling flat with that news.

Bullies
23-04-2022, 08:37 PM
With regards to McComb, he'd be the first person to admit that it wasn't his best game but it was his first game of AFL football. He's not the reason we win or lose, and I wonder if expectations would be tempered if he was 18 years old.

He played a high half forward role today similar to what Garcia was brought in to do. Yes, he is a midfielder first and foremost but he's more than capable of playing the role. He struggled with the pace of the game and executed poorly but he won't be the first AFL debutant to experience this.

His form warranted selection and don't have any issue with him being given the opportunity.

I agree with giving Jamarra a spell in the VFL. There's no shame in going back and working at a lower standard to improve specific aspects of his game. In the long term it will make him a better player. I understand the experience argument and lack or alternatives but is there any evidence suggesting that struggling at AFL level is better than thriving at VFL? Lots of players have developed in the VFL and it's not a sign of weakness on his behalf.

Although he's not heralded, we're missing Hannan's versatility in our forward line. His ability to block, sacrifice, as well as, playing tall or short is important to the way we set-up.They are fair points you make in regards to McComb however the guy is 27. His skills at VFL level are ordinary at best. Why would you put him on a AFL list with the skill he has and his age. Our list management needs to be looked at. We could be bringing an 18 year old key position player through the system for his spot.

It says a fair bit about Rhylee West if McComb is chosen before him. Surely playing on a wing he would have more to offer.

Grantysghost
23-04-2022, 08:43 PM
They are fair points you make in regards to McComb however the guy is 27. His skills at VFL level are ordinary at best. Why would you put him on a AFL list with the skill he has and his age. Our list management needs to be looked at. We could be bringing an 18 year old key position player through the system for his spot.

It says a fair bit about Rhylee West if McComb is chosen before him. Surely playing on a wing he would have more to offer.

I reluctantly agree. Feels like a Bevo's good bloke decision.

He's VFL at best.

Dancin' Douggy
23-04-2022, 08:44 PM
They are fair points you make in regards to McComb however the guy is 27. His skills at VFL level are ordinary at best. Why would you put him on a AFL list with the skill he has and his age. Our list management needs to be looked at. We could be bringing an 18 year old key position player through the system for his spot.

It's utter madness. Really it is. Lipinski walks and we replace him with McComb..................

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2022, 09:15 PM

Although he's not heralded, we're missing Hannan's versatility in our forward line. His ability to block, sacrifice, as well as, playing tall or short is important to the way we set-up.

The gap between VFL and AFL has never been wider than it is right now. It's actually alarming and probably worthy of a topic on it's own. I don't see the benefit of Jamarra going back to the VFL for a 15 possession 2 goal game - what does that actually teach him?

Even if he goes back and kicks 5, again, what does that teach him or us? That the standard at VFL level is pretty average?

Does it really boost his confidence if he plays well at VFL? I highly doubt it. He didn't train his ass off to play VFL, and whilst that's a simplistic way of looking at it and true for every AFL listed player, I think his case is different.

Given his talent and his confidence, IMO he learns more from today's game (and the last few weeks) than he does playing at a sub par VFL level for a very average VFL side. If it was about confidence, send him to the WRFL to kick 20! Tongue in check here but confidence isn't the issue with Jamarra and I don't think his work rate is bad. He needs to continue fine tuning areas of his game but given our situation as a team, the only time he should play VFL is if he isn't following instruction or his effort is poor.

FWIW the fact we miss Hannan says more about our list than anything. I might create a separate thread on our list / where to from here.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2022, 09:17 PM

Agreed. I'm sure McComb works hard and is a good character, but politely, he's not near the elite level.

Mantis
23-04-2022, 10:39 PM
Agreed. I'm sure McComb works hard and is a good character, but politely, he's not near the elite level.

And gives us nothing we don’t already have in spades… it’s just dumb list mgt. to add him when he’s never going to play in his preferred position unless we have our 6 best midfielders missing.

We can’t even get our best player in his preferred position so what *!*!*!*!ing chance does McComb have?

soupman
23-04-2022, 11:17 PM
The gap between VFL and AFL has never been wider than it is right now. It's actually alarming and probably worthy of a topic on it's own. I don't see the benefit of Jamarra going back to the VFL for a 15 possession 2 goal game - what does that actually teach him?

Agree completely. Pur VFL side is a bunch of guys who are not AFL level and aren't really close either. I think Jamarra has a lot more to gain playing in the seniors and getting to that 40 game level asap.

Thought he was actually one of the few positives today. I don't think he played well, but that's the closest he has come to taking a few contested marks around the ground and thought he did just enough forward especially considering the woeful service.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2022, 01:06 AM
Agree completely. Pur VFL side is a bunch of guys who are not AFL level and aren't really close either. I think Jamarra has a lot more to gain playing in the seniors and getting to that 40 game level asap.

Thought he was actually one of the few positives today. I don't think he played well, but that's the closest he has come to taking a few contested marks around the ground and thought he did just enough forward especially considering the woeful service.

Agree. We need to persist with Marra. We did get out marked way too often today, however the service into our forward line both in quantity and quality was diabolical. Today's result is really on the midfield more than any other group.

jeemak
24-04-2022, 03:49 AM

Even if he goes back and kicks 5, again, what does that teach him or us? That the standard at VFL level is pretty average?

Does it really boost his confidence if he plays well at VFL? I highly doubt it. He didn't train his ass off to play VFL, and whilst that's a simplistic way of looking at it and true for every AFL listed player, I think his case is different.

Given his talent and his confidence, IMO he learns more from today's game (and the last few weeks) than he does playing at a sub par VFL level for a very average VFL side. If it was about confidence, send him to the WRFL to kick 20! Tongue in check here but confidence isn't the issue with Jamarra and I don't think his work rate is bad. He needs to continue fine tuning areas of his game but given our situation as a team, the only time he should play VFL is if he isn't following instruction or his effort is poor.

FWIW the fact we miss Hannan says more about our list than anything. I might create a separate thread on our list / where to from here.

It's nice getting a kick. If you're not getting one at the top level then getting one at the lower level does a huge amount for you. Players need to feel good as they mature, not getting a kick at the top level continually doesn't make you feel good.

Happy Days
27-04-2022, 09:54 AM
Just saw Will Minson riding his bike on my way to work. Can we pick him he looks incredible.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2022, 11:03 AM
I’d probably stick with the same 22 this week as uninspiring as that may sound, Buku the one potential in I’d consider but not quite sure he’s there yet.

Bont - back to the midfield pls
Schache - play him forward this week and second ruck
Daniel - can we try him in the forward half?
Treloar - could he play half back?
Williams - could he play some minutes in the midfield?

Gardner to 2mp
O’Brien to Cox?
Cordy to Baldwin?

Who do we play on Stringer?

Could Dunkley or Libba tag Merret?

SquirrelGrip
27-04-2022, 11:22 AM
I’d probably stick with the same 22 this week as uninspiring as that may sound, Buku the one potential in I’d consider but not quite sure he’s there yet.

Bont - back to the midfield pls
Schache - play him forward this week and second ruck
Daniel - can we try him in the forward half?
Treloar - could he play half back?
Williams - could he play some minutes in the midfield?

Gardner to 2mp
O’Brien to Cox?
Cordy to Baldwin?

Who do we play on Stringer?

Could Dunkley or Libba tag Merret?

I agree with keeping the same 22. We can't underestimate the emotional impact that Wally's family had on some of the group.

Williams is probably our best option for Stringer. Give him a job and have him focus. He's succeeded there before.

Cox plays more wing. I'd be tempted to move Dale there as he provides a good attacking option.

Dunkley I'd play on Parish as I've mentioned in another post, as I think he would beat him to the ball. Merrett is probably their best midfielder but can be hit on the rebound. Happy to have him chasing the tale of Bont or Bailey Smith.

Draper is the main issue. Can Zaine follow him round post centre bounce and have Stef just sit in the hole in front of 2MP?

bornadog
27-04-2022, 01:03 PM
In: Roarke, VDM

Out: McComb, McNeil

Go_Dogs
27-04-2022, 01:07 PM
I agree with keeping the same 22. We can't underestimate the emotional impact that Wally's family had on some of the group.

Williams is probably our best option for Stringer. Give him a job and have him focus. He's succeeded there before.

Cox plays more wing. I'd be tempted to move Dale there as he provides a good attacking option.

Dunkley I'd play on Parish as I've mentioned in another post, as I think he would beat him to the ball. Merrett is probably their best midfielder but can be hit on the rebound. Happy to have him chasing the tale of Bont or Bailey Smith.

Draper is the main issue. Can Zaine follow him round post centre bounce and have Stef just sit in the hole in front of 2MP?

Williams in Stringer could be good, a challenge and a task for someone a little down on form. Duryea was my other thought - depends how Stringer plays I suppose, but getting out the back seemed his go from the brief moments I saw of Anzac Day.

Really hoping Parish misses, if he plays agree he’s the man to stop.

Draper will be too physical for Schache, so maybe you’re right that Cordy as a second ruck / following Draper for parts of the game works. I wonder if we Martin could work hard forward and try to unsettle them a bit?

On paper we should flog Essendon but gee it’s going to be tough.

Scraggers
27-04-2022, 01:44 PM
In: Roarke, VDM

Out: McComb, McNeil

I agree with this

kruder
27-04-2022, 06:25 PM
Its a concern when we are considering VDM straight back in after a hammy after showing very little for over 12 months now.

FrediKanoute
27-04-2022, 06:43 PM
I agree. At the top of his game I like what he brings, but he is not an automatic in for mine

Jeanette54
27-04-2022, 09:12 PM
Its a concern when we are considering VDM straight back in after a hammy after showing very little for over 12 months now.

Further proof that the cupboard is bare. I haven't seen so few contributions to the selection committee threads on this forum in years. There's currently a real shortage of realistic possibilities.

mjp
28-04-2022, 09:15 AM
Further proof that the cupboard is bare. I haven't seen so few contributions to the selection committee threads on this forum in years. There's currently a real shortage of realistic possibilities.

I think there are a lot of posts on another thread that people have been committing time too...somehow the simple fact of selecting a team for one week seem trivial to all of us who all think we are thinking big picture: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?21678-Honest-reflection-and-the-path-forward

The reality of things are that for the MC and coaches, nothing could be more important than this week.

To me we don't really need changes in players, but we do need a change in attitude:

- Merrett needs a tag and needs to be kept to < 20 touches.
- Parish needs to be assigned to someone in a head to head role...not tag but when they have it, you need to have him.
- A clear plan for Wright who kicked 7 against us last year.
- A clear plan for Stringer who simply cannot be allowed to get going.

If we can do those things I think it will all be OK.

Mofra
28-04-2022, 09:41 AM
I think there are a lot of posts on another thread that people have been committing time too...somehow the simple fact of selecting a team for one week seem trivial to all of us who all think we are thinking big picture: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?21678-Honest-reflection-and-the-path-forward

The reality of things are that for the MC and coaches, nothing could be more important than this week.

To me we don't really need changes in players, but we do need a change in attitude:

- Merrett needs a tag and needs to be kept to < 20 touches.
- Parish needs to be assigned to someone in a head to head role...not tag but when they have it, you need to have him.
- A clear plan for Wright who kicked 7 against us last year.
- A clear plan for Stringer who simply cannot be allowed to get going.

If we can do those things I think it will all be OK.
I just hope we learned form the 'experiment' in the 3rd quarter of the pre-season game - Essendon have a lot of intercept marking capability and we're coming off a game where Adelaide exposed us by putting an extra tall behind the ball.

mjp
28-04-2022, 09:46 AM
I just hope we learned form the 'experiment' in the 3rd quarter of the pre-season game - Essendon have a lot of intercept marking capability and we're coming off a game where Adelaide exposed us by putting an extra tall behind the ball.

We play with an extra at the stoppage/contest pretty much every week so this is basically a 100% guarantee to happen.

Axe Man
28-04-2022, 10:26 AM
Merrett needs a tag and needs to be kept to < 20 touches.

Why? He's had over 30 in all 3 games he's played and they have lost them all.

He's a good player and gets a lot of the ball but that doesn't mean he's the most damaging player going around. Baz and Macrae are getting heaps of it too and where is that getting us?

Very unlikely Merrett goes under 20, even with a hard tag (which we won't do anyway). I just don't see it as a particularly important metric.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 11:05 AM
What was that?

G-Mo77
28-04-2022, 11:18 AM
McComb will be playing this week. Not surprised but just don't see him providing much for us.

Happy Days
28-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Scott out with H&S protocols. Hopefully no one else gets dragged down with him.

azabob
28-04-2022, 11:27 AM

Yeah that sucks.

G-Mo77
28-04-2022, 12:02 PM

Likely to, Melbourne hit with it at the moment and quite a few players have missed

Mofra
28-04-2022, 12:09 PM
We play with an extra at the stoppage/contest pretty much every week so this is basically a 100% guarantee to happen.
Given it's one of the oldest tactics in football - I wonder what the hell we were doing all pre-season?

In the first Melbourne game last year Angus Brayshaw just stood in the way of our switch kick and we just went back to dumb dump kicks down the line. Matthew Nicks clearly watched that tape.

Mofra
28-04-2022, 12:10 PM
What was that?
Naughts chopping out in the ruck/resting leaving us with Hannan as the only marking target in the F50 (undersized).
They just kept intercept marking and getting clean ball out of defence.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 12:11 PM
Naughts chopping out in the ruck/resting leaving us with Hannan as the only marking target in the F50 (undersized).
Thanks.

Mantis
28-04-2022, 12:19 PM

So if Naughts is getting held do we have any faith that JUH, Schache or Cordy will be able to compete strongly in the air?

Danjul
28-04-2022, 12:36 PM
So if Naughts is getting held do we have any faith that JUH, Schache or Cordy will be able to compete strongly in the air?
If the ball is in the air near Naughton the other three are irrelevant and two defenders will go to him. It’s been happening for a long time. I think North has been the only opposition to not do it.

Blocking this tactic is why the three tall forwards policy worked so well. When we defeated Melbourne last year Schache’s role was to take the second defender away from Naughton. Instead of getting more small players into the forward line we need to put in a genuine tall, JUH and Cordy have no experience in defensive full forward play. With English out the only player on the list for this role is Sweet as first/second ruck/forward. Cordy with 6 disposals and 6 hitouts in a whole game has shown he is not an option.

angelopetraglia
28-04-2022, 12:54 PM
Some updates from the Bevo Presser.

-Bevo looked flat today.
-Mitch and Laith are both available. Mitch will definitely play at either VFL or AFL level.
-Scott will miss due to COVID protocols.
-Hannan is going to be a slow one. He is coming along OK. No exact date on his return.
-Robbie will definitely play again this week.
-Tim is 1-2 away. He is a chance for Port but won't miss more than that.
-Bruce should be available post round 13 after the bye. He is keen to bring that forward.
-Darcy should be able to play some state footy before the bye. He had his first training session with the boys this week.
-Bont started forward last week, but we could not get the ball to him. We need to strike a balance to keep Marcus in the game. We need to be flexible and ensure he is involved in the game.
-26 intercept mark against which is almost a world record, we let us ourselves down with execution. We need to improve in that area this week. We need to take control to limit intercept opportunity.
-Small margins within games and we have not been on the right side of the ledger. The KPIs before the Crows game were in the right spot.

Mofra
28-04-2022, 01:00 PM
More than the midget fleet who surrounded Hannan.
Cordy will at least compete in the air in a contested situation. Marra (at this stage) and Schache, less faith.

angelopetraglia
28-04-2022, 01:04 PM
More than the midget fleet who surrounded Hannan.
Cordy will at least compete in the air in a contested situation. Marra (at this stage) and Schache, less faith.

Agree and it is where we are really missing Bruce. Even when out of form and not clunking them, he is still a big body that hits packs hard. Cordy definiltey provides a contest but doesn't have Bruce's physicality.

EasternWest
28-04-2022, 01:34 PM

- Merrett needs a tag.

https://i.postimg.cc/pVqJFQTT/image.gif (https://postimages.org/)

SquirrelGrip
28-04-2022, 02:02 PM
My team this week is:

B: Williams Gardner Duryea
HB: Richards O'Brien Daniel
C: Dale Dunkley Treloar
HF: Smith Naughton Liberatore
F: Ugle-Hagan Schache Weightman
Foll: Martin Bontempelli Macrae
Int: McNeil Cordy West Crozier
Sub: Wallis

Out Scott, McComb
In West Crozier

With Scott out, we need someone who can go back - and I think that's Crozier. I'd like to see Dale on the wing this week.
I'd like to see McComb get another opportunity but Bont needs to go mid this week to control the game. West has more flexibility playing forward/mid.
Dunkley playing one on one with Parish. Libba to come up off half forward to take on Merrett at the stoppages.
Cordy rotating ruck with Martin, as I see no-one else who will at least attempt to be physical.
Naughton up the ground a bit more provides more mobility, will make it harder for the intercepters, then Jamarra and Shack deep leading forwards, with Cody being a pest and drawing frees in the goal square, making all the Bombers fans go spare.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 02:06 PM
My team this week is:

Out Scott, McComb
In West Crozier

With Scott out, we need someone who can go back - and I think that's Crozier. I'd like to see Dale on the wing this week.
I'd like to see McComb get another opportunity but Bont needs to go mid this week to control the game. West has more flexibility playing forward/mid.
Dunkley playing one on one with Parish. Libba to come up off half forward to take on Merrett at the stoppages.
Cordy rotating ruck with Martin, as I see no-one else who will at least attempt to be physical.
Naughton up the ground a bit more provides more mobility, will make it harder for the intercepters, then Jamarra and Shack deep leading forwards, with Cody being a pest and drawing frees in the goal square, making all the Bombers fans go spare.

Except McComb will play according to the Bevo Presser.

SquirrelGrip
28-04-2022, 02:08 PM
Except McComb will play according to the Bevo Presser.

Yes, I accept that. But this is what I would do.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 02:09 PM

ok, fair enough.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 02:25 PM
Agree and it is where we are really missing Bruce. Even when out of form and not clunking them, he is still a big body that hits packs hard. Cordy definiltey provides a contest but doesn't have Bruce's physicality.
When Cordy provides a contest his job has always been to spoil. As we saw last week he is relatively easily outmarked when trying to catch the ball.

Scraggers
28-04-2022, 03:21 PM
My team this week is:

Out Scott, McComb
In West Crozier

I think I would play Wallis ahead of West; particularly with the emotions of last week. It may just be the motivation required

Grantysghost
28-04-2022, 03:23 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/rFJ14dTQ/Mematic-20220428-142255.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jLDn0SL7)

bornadog
28-04-2022, 03:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/rFJ14dTQ/Mematic-20220428-142255.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jLDn0SL7)

It's ok

https://c.tenor.com/pkO0sjhZ1eYAAAAC/speculate-parks.gif

Mantis
28-04-2022, 04:44 PM
I think I would play Wallis ahead of West; particularly with the emotions of last week. It may just be the motivation required

Taking away the emotions is Wallis deserving of a spot?

Understand we have some injuries in the area he plays, but his performances have been seriously underwhelming this year.

Happy Days
28-04-2022, 04:59 PM

Understand we have some injuries in the area he plays, but his performances have been seriously underwhelming this year.

At the moment, kind of?

I’m the biggest (on field only of course) Wallis hater alive but man there is just so few players available even close to AFL standard right now. I’d be looking to play both of Wal and West this week.

Grantysghost
28-04-2022, 05:03 PM
It's ok

https://c.tenor.com/pkO0sjhZ1eYAAAAC/speculate-parks.gif

Haha gold.

Mofra
28-04-2022, 05:10 PM
At the moment, kind of?

I’m the biggest (on field only of course) Wallis hater alive but man there is just so few players available even close to AFL standard right now. I’d be looking to play both of Wal and West this week.
Next in line who can play we really only have Wally, West and Khamis. Not sure anyone else is demanding a spot right now.

Scraggers
28-04-2022, 05:11 PM

I think he has more footy smarts than others we are currently playing. I also think he has slowed a step or two in recent years. I would give him a run with role as a forward defender on Laverde or Shiel or Durham to negate their influence down back. If he also gets two goals, then its a job well done.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2022, 05:29 PM
I'd like us to give Khamis a block of games starting this week.

GVGjr
28-04-2022, 06:04 PM
I'd like us to give Khamis a block of games starting this week.

Any reason why?

Mantis
28-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Any reason why?

We need to see if he can actually play... no use letting him rot away at Footscray when the senior team is struggling and he's going ok.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Any reason why?
I would suggest that it’s because he has kicked 6 goals in the last 2 weeks. From up to 50m. We could do with a good kicker on the forward line.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 06:20 PM
I would suggest that it’s because he has kicked 6 goals in the last 2 weeks. From up to 50m. We could do with a good kicker on the forward line.

Who does he replace?

GVGjr
28-04-2022, 06:24 PM
We need to see if he can actually play... no use letting him rot away at Footscray when the senior team is struggling and he's going ok.

He's been played in a variety of positions at Footscray and I'd like to get an idea of what role he is likely to play in the seniors.
If it's forward (to kick goals) will he replace the likes of McNeil or someone like Cordy or is it to help sure up a back line?

He's done what he can to deserve his chance, just interested to hear what role we think he might play.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 06:28 PM
He's been played in a variety of positions at Footscray and I'd like to get an idea of what role he is likely to play in the seniors.
If it's forward (to kick goals) will he replace the likes of McNeil or someone like Cordy or is it to help sure up a back line?

He's done what he can to deserve his chance, just interested to hear what role we think he might play.

Last three weeks he has played half a game in forward line (v Richmond) and the following two weeks in forward line with stints in the ruck. I think this is where he needs to play - third tall in forward line and Schache stays in backline. However, does that mean Cordy is then dropped.

Axe Man
28-04-2022, 06:34 PM
Last three weeks he has played half a game in forward line (v Richmond) and the following two weeks in forward line with stints in the ruck. I think this is where he needs to play - third tall in forward line and Schache stays in backline. However, does that mean Cordy is then dropped.

I would think if he was to come into the forward/relief ruck role one of Cordy/Schache/Jamarra would need to make way.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 06:40 PM
Who does he replace?
McNeil has had a few weeks for little return on the scoreboard. Nothing lost if Khamis has a couple of weeks.

GVGjr
28-04-2022, 06:48 PM
McNeil has had a few weeks for little return on the scoreboard. Nothing lost if Khamis has a couple of weeks.

Just having a quick look, Bont, Naughton, JUH, potentially Schache and now Khamis up forward could be be 5 left foot kicks and one of the tallest forward line we may have ever selected.
Weightman will be the odd man out :)

Grantysghost
28-04-2022, 07:28 PM

He's been best on ground from my point of view.

He lifts everyone's spirits just being out there.

chef
28-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Jamarra dropped apparently

Grantysghost
28-04-2022, 07:34 PM
The Western Bulldogs have named their 26-player squad for Sunday’s clash against Essendon at Marvel Stadium.

Roarke Smith, Laith Vandermeer and Mitch Wallis have been added to the team that played Adelaide last weekend.

Vandermeer and Wallis have been named on an extended bench alongside Rhylee West – last week’s unused medical sub – Robbie McComb, Bailey Williams, Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache and Jordon Sweet.

Anthony Scott comes out of the side after entering AFL Health and Safety protocols, while Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has been omitted.

Courageous midfielder Josh Dunkley will play his 100th game for the red, white and blue after being named in the half-forward line.

A team of 22 players and four emergencies will be confirmed by the Bulldogs at 5pm on Friday.

One of the four emergencies will be named as the medical sub an hour before the first bounce on Sunday.

Channel 7 and Fox Footy will broadcast the game live.

ROUND 7 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Essendon
Sunday 1 May, 3.20pm EST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil Jack Macrae, Roarke Smith
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Josh Dunkley
F: Tom Liberatore Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Stefan Martin, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis, Bailey Williams, Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Jordon Sweet

In: Roarke Smith, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis, Jordon Sweet, Hayden Crozier
Out: Anthony Scott (AFL health & safety protocols), Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (omitted)

Last week’s sub: R.West (unused

Danjul
28-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Just having a quick look, Bont, Naughton, JUH, potentially Schache and now Khamis up forward could be be 5 left foot kicks and one of the tallest forward line we may have ever selected.
Weightman will be the odd man out :)
The Bont should be in the middle. We have no one else who can get the ball into the forwards as cleanly and quickly.

Khamis is under 190 cm, so only medium. Same as Hannan and about an inch taller than Wallis.

Grantysghost
28-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Jamarra dropped apparently

Correct.

azabob
28-04-2022, 07:38 PM
The Bont should be in the middle. We have no one else who can get the ball into the forwards as cleanly and quickly.

Khamis is under 190 cm, so only medium. Same as Hannan and about an inch taller than Wallis.

Khamis is taller than 190cm. Surely?

GVGjr
28-04-2022, 07:43 PM

And yet was supposed to be a candidate for the back-up ruck role.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 07:46 PM
He is shorter than Dunkley. As is Hannan. So he ticks all the boxes.

GVGjr
28-04-2022, 07:47 PM
He is shorter than Dunkley. As is Hannan. So he ticks all the boxes.

Times are a changin :)

macca
28-04-2022, 07:47 PM
I would read JUH as being rested , not omitted. That will confuse the media on this . Does that mean Schache is going to play forward?

Sweet comes in to contend against Draper? Hope he can Play a string of games and see if he can be the ruck we crave for.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2022, 07:49 PM
No Khamis and Jamarra dropped with those ins, is very uninspiring.

Our forward line as named reads as 3 midfielders, 2 defenders and 1 forward (ok - tongue in cheek, Naughton is a forward now).

Might sit this one from the couch.

Testekill
28-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Jeez, we're really just shuffling around the magnets. Would have hoped that Khamis would at least be in if Jamarra was dropped.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 08:09 PM

He has a very good leap

Bullies
28-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Roarke is a walk up start after poor form and injury. Ditto Vandermeer. We are in strife.

macca
28-04-2022, 08:40 PM
I wonder how much fwd pressure is going to be exhibited against Essendon compared to Adelaide game?

Will VDM, Roarke and maybe Wallis make that much difference?

Its going to be one I will keenly observe this weekend.

azabob
28-04-2022, 08:42 PM
I wonder how much fwd pressure is going to be exhibited against Essendon compared to Adelaide game?

Will VDM, Roarke and maybe Wallis make that much difference?

Its going to be one I will keenly observe this weekend.

Good observation Macca. Pressure also needs to be applied in the aerial contests also.

Danjul
28-04-2022, 08:48 PM
Roarke is a walk up start after poor form and injury. Ditto Vandermeer. We are in strife.
Surprises me. Neither has used the vfl to regain match fitness. Isn’t that what it’s for? VDM has had a few problems preventing him from stringing games together And McNeil on the wing after and ordinary performance. I would normally say ‘very lucky’ but there must be a plan that I can’t see.

DOG GOD
28-04-2022, 09:38 PM
No Khamis and Jamarra dropped with those ins, is very uninspiring.

Our forward line as named reads as 3 midfielders, 2 defenders and 1 forward (ok - tongue in cheek, Naughton is a forward now).

Might sit this one from the couch.
And this is why it’s becoming a joke.

kruder
28-04-2022, 09:48 PM
VDM lacks touch, should be playing VFL to gain confidence not only in that but his body.

Happy Days
28-04-2022, 09:49 PM
Press will be much better for VDM in the team. Personally I do think he’s a walk up start even if he doesn’t have overwhelming numbers.

bornadog
28-04-2022, 10:48 PM
Roarke played against North, on a wing, and I can tell you he was underwhelming. Last week he didn't play, so assume Covid.

I don't understand why he makes the squad, unless we feel we are a little desperate with no one else available

FrediKanoute
28-04-2022, 11:13 PM
We are desparate. No Hunter, JJ, Scott....we are fresh out of wingers!

UNderwhelming selections. Should have brought in Khamis - good chance now to see if he can be that player. VDM straight back in means he will be coming back underdone after a hammy........can read the script already as to how this will play out,

G-Mo77
29-04-2022, 05:30 AM
Agree Fredi.

Perfect opportunity to play Khamis this week. He looked a class above most of our other players in the VFL and played in multiple roles.

We drop JUH but that leaves Schache or Cordy as our 2nd tall forward? It doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. I'd rather just leave JUH in and work through it.

We're going to struggle to score Sunday and rely on continuous repeat entries to get goals on the board. It's not going to be a pretty game, not saying we'll definitely lose or win but believe it's going to be one of those matches where we get a lot of the ball, lots of inside 50s and no reward.

Axe Man
29-04-2022, 09:42 AM
We're going to struggle to score Sunday and rely on continuous repeat entries to get goals on the board. It's not going to be a pretty game, not saying we'll definitely lose or win but believe it's going to be one of those matches where we get a lot of the ball, lots of inside 50s and no reward.

At least if that happens it will be an improvement on last week. The most disappointing aspect for me was our much vaunted midfield being smashed by the underwhelming (on paper) crows mids. We were fortunate to have almost snatched it.

I read that in 3 of our losses we have lost contested ball and drew even against Richmond. So lets get back to basics, win the ball in close, win the contest, beat your opponent and the rest will come. The bombers midfield are undersized so it's over to you mids...

Danjul
29-04-2022, 11:15 AM
Agree Fredi.

Perfect opportunity to play Khamis this week. He looked a class above most of our other players in the VFL and played in multiple roles.

We drop JUH but that leaves Schache or Cordy as our 2nd tall forward? It doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. I'd rather just leave JUH in and work through it.

We're going to struggle to score Sunday and rely on continuous repeat entries to get goals on the board. It's not going to be a pretty game, not saying we'll definitely lose or win but believe it's going to be one of those matches where we get a lot of the ball, lots of inside 50s and no reward.Last time we played Essendon Schache and Naughton both took 5 marks each and kicked multiple goals. There’s no reason why they shouldn’t do it again. (Unless the deliveries into the forwards are rubbish.) They have always worked well together. And the small forwards get into the act. It has been bad mistake not to develop that partnership in Bruce’s absence. Schache got 2 goals in half a game on the forward line last week. Cordy should be on the backline this week.

Sedat
29-04-2022, 11:19 AM
Hasn't that basically been our entire MO under Bevo since 2015? Our entire DNA is based around a huge positive differential in contested ball and clearance and pressing hard inside F50 so that the ball lives in our forward half for much longer than the opposition. We have seemingly been happy to accept some cheaper and easier goals out the back so long as we convert more than enough chances to win (which, to be fair, we've done more often than not). And it is quite obvious that when our midfield clearance/contest game is off or the opposition bring intense heat in there, the rest of our game goes to water (Carlton/Cripps has repeatedly exposed this weakness even when their team was poorer).

bornadog
29-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Hasn't that basically been our entire MO under Bevo since 2015? Our entire DNA is based around a huge positive differential in contested ball and clearance and pressing hard inside F50 so that the ball lives in our forward half for much longer than the opposition. We have seemingly been happy to accept some cheaper and easier goals out the back so long as we convert more than enough chances to win (which, to be fair, we've done more often than not). And it is quite obvious that when our midfield clearance/contest game is off or the opposition bring intense heat in there, the rest of our game goes to water (Carlton/Cripps has repeatedly exposed this weakness even when their team was poorer).

It has worked in the past as we have been heavy scorers and also number one for marks inside 50. However, without Bruce we have fallen away with the marks and Naughton is also copping more attention.

Sedat
29-04-2022, 11:36 AM
However, without Bruce we have fallen away with the marks and Naughton is also copping more attention.
Even without Bruce in and Naughton getting double-teamed, we are losing this year when our midfield doesn't do the work or isn't allowed to. We didn't lose the GF last year because of our F50 structure - it was the midfield being obliterated. And this year our mids have lowered their colours for large parts in our losses, and in our 2 wins they completely dominated the opposition midfield.

We are a team that has always relied on our midfield dominance to win games and when they don't we lose.

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 12:13 PM

So true. Contested possession is the first stat I look at when at games to see how the work rate is at the source.

If you look at Saturday it was pretty even and we couldn't find another avenue in an uncontested sense due to the "Great Wall of O'Brien"
Check the heatmap, you can literally see it from space.

https://i.postimg.cc/SsTFr0fZ/Screenshot-20220429-102348-AFL.jpg (https://postimg.cc/8J60p03W)

Danjul
29-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Even without Bruce in and Naughton getting double-teamed, we are losing this year when our midfield doesn't do the work or isn't allowed to. We didn't lose the GF last year because of our F50 structure - it was the midfield being obliterated. And this year our mids have lowered their colours for large parts in our losses, and in our 2 wins they completely dominated the opposition midfield.

We are a team that has always relied on our midfield dominance to win games and when they don't we lose.

The problem has been the opposition ruck has been putting the ball in their midfielders hands while they are at full speed running towards goal.

That’s why they are getting goals within 60 seconds of a centre bounce. We refuse to accept that it happens. It was obvious in the second half of the grand final. It was obvious against Essendon in round 21? And it’s happened this season in some losses.

Our midfielders work hard. They often get the ball. But they are forced very wide in the process, so our forward entries are slow, and deep with a bomb into the pocket because forwards are covered.

English has been significant in this problem. He’s magnificent around the ground, and recently he has improved in the ruck. But we never have a practical backup when he is being tapped out. So if the opposition gets 5 gifts we let them get more. We have no plan B to stop the opposition flow. I was watching games specifically for this and I have seen it repeatedly.

Note: Plan B should not involve Bont, Dunkley, Hannan, Cordy (although he is worth an honourable mention). All that happens when they are used is their output halves.

Sedat
29-04-2022, 02:35 PM
The problem has been the opposition ruck has been putting the ball in their midfielders hands while they are at full speed running towards goal.

That’s why they are getting goals within 60 seconds of a centre bounce. We refuse to accept that it happens. It was obvious in the second half of the grand final. It was obvious against Essendon in round 21? And it’s happened this season in some losses.

Our midfielders work hard. They often get the ball. But they are forced very wide in the process, so our forward entries are slow, and deep with a bomb into the pocket because forwards are covered.

English has been significant in this problem. He’s magnificent around the ground, and recently he has improved in the ruck. But we never have a practical backup when he is being tapped out. So if the opposition gets 5 gifts we let them get more. We have no plan B to stop the opposition flow. I was watching games specifically for this and I have seen it repeatedly.

Note: Plan B should not involve Bont, Dunkley, Hannan, Cordy (although he is worth an honourable mention). All that happens when they are used is their output halves.
Our mids work hard in one particular direction, but because they are so elite at winning contested ball/clearance they cannot/don't want to pivot to a defensive mindset when sometimes required (if it's good enough for someone like Pendles, it should be for all of our mid group). Hurts to say this but our very best players in our absolute strongest part of the ground cost us a premiership last year when Jackson/Petracca in particular (and Oliver/Viney/Harmes to a lesser extent) caught absolute fire for 8 crazy minutes.

A lot of your assessment is correct re: opposition fast scoring out of the middle but your rationale for the fast scoring is more multi-layered than just "English can't tap ruck" (and I have ridden English harder than most on here, and you're right he has improved his craft and body-on-body competitiveness at ruck stoppages in 2022). Our mids are bees to the honeypot and are prone to getting torched on the spread - either the overall midfield mix isn't right, or at least a couple of our mids are not prepared to adjust and adapt in-game to provide necessary defensive cover at each stop-play contest when the opposition mids are heating up.

bornadog
29-04-2022, 02:44 PM

The stats show we are still working hard in the midfield.

We are 4th for clearances, including centre, and 7th for Cont.Poss. We are getting plenty of the ball as we are ranked 2nd for disposals, so we have plenty of opportunities. I think our efficiency overall is down and we are not putting the ball in the right spots, or second clearance is not happening.

Where we are down and need improvement are Intercepts and Cont Marks as well as tackles in F50.

Sedat
29-04-2022, 03:07 PM
We are 4th for clearances, including centre, and 7th for Cont.Poss. We are getting plenty of the ball as we are ranked 2nd for disposals, so we have plenty of opportunities.
Would be interesting to get an individual breakdown of these stats by game - we destroyed Sydney and North in these metrics, which might have artificially increased our overall numbers. From memory we were down in these areas against Melbourne, Carlton and Adelaide (and especially so in key patches in each game). The Richmond game we threw away with disgraceful conversion, otherwise our stoppage and clearance game plan went according to script (and Richmond aren't much chop in 2022 to be frank).

The Sydney game gives me hope that 2022 is not a lost cause yet - they are undoubtedly a contender this year and we made them look second-rate out of the middle and would have smashed them by 40+ points if we kicked even remotely straight.

bornadog
29-04-2022, 03:28 PM
Would be interesting to get an individual breakdown of these stats by game - we destroyed Sydney and North in these metrics, which might have artificially increased our overall numbers. From memory we were down in these areas against Melbourne, Carlton and Adelaide (and especially so in key patches in each game). The Richmond game we threw away with disgraceful conversion, otherwise our stoppage and clearance game plan went according to script (and Richmond aren't much chop in 2022 to be frank).

The Sydney game gives me hope that 2022 is not a lost cause yet - they are undoubtedly a contender this year and we made them look second-rate out of the middle and would have smashed them by 40+ points if we kicked even remotely straight.

Here you go

Cont Poss
Total Clearances
Centre Clearances
Stoppage Clr

Melbourne

WB

Carlton

WB

Adelaide

WB

Carlton CP dominance, I would think was mainly in that first half

G-Mo77
29-04-2022, 04:16 PM

Well pretty much but we used to be able to use that to actually score. I don't know about you but I can't stand watching entry after entry and then see it go to waste nearly every time. At times this year we have needed an umpire to bail us out to score a goal.

bornadog
29-04-2022, 06:06 PM
FINAL TEAM

ROUND 7 TEAM
Sunday 1 May, 3.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
Int: Robbie McComb, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis, Bailey Williams
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Jordon Sweet

In: Roarke Smith, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis

Out: Anthony Scott (AFL health & safety protocols), Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (omitted), Josh Schache (omitted), Rhylee West (medi-sub)

Schache Out

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Schache melts incoming. Personally ambivalent.

Shiel out for Bombers.

bornadog
29-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Essendon giving Parish time to make sure he is right

Bulldog4life
29-04-2022, 06:09 PM
A couple of quick thinking goals to Schache didn't help him.

azabob
29-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Natural looking forward line we have…

bornadog
29-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Schache melts incoming. Personally ambivalent.

Shiel out for Bombers.

Looks like we are going for a smaller forward line.

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Essendon giving Parish time to make sure he is right

Using it as a lever on Shiel I assume.

Almost read it as Parish out and Shiel a late in with a fire in his belly.

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Looks like we are going for a smaller forward line.

Naughton the big dog.

whythelongface
29-04-2022, 06:12 PM
Hard to get excited about the ins but then again hard to get excited about the alternatives as well. In saying that was hoping Sweet was elevated just to see how we would perform.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2022, 06:13 PM
When you look at the lineup, it's pretty ordinary.

No quality key defenders (Gardy is improving, but it's dire reading in comparison to the top 4 sides), two borderline VFL players on the wings and a forward line made up largely of midfielders.

bornadog
29-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Using it as a lever on Shiel I assume.

Almost read it as Parish out and Shiel a late in with a fire in his belly.

Looks like it.

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 06:21 PM
When you look at the lineup, it's pretty ordinary.

No quality key defenders (Gardy is improving, but it's dire reading in comparison to the top 4 sides), two borderline VFL players on the wings and a forward line made up largely of midfielders.

Still has a formidable midfield core.

But I hear you.

jeemak
29-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Still has a formidable midfield core.

But I hear you.

If it shows up.

G-Mo77
29-04-2022, 06:40 PM
Oh lord help us. Our 2 pronged big forward duo Naughton and Cordy. What on Earth is the plan?

FrediKanoute
29-04-2022, 06:44 PM
FINAL TEAM

ROUND 7 TEAM
Sunday 1 May, 3.20pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
Int: Robbie McComb, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis, Bailey Williams
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Jordon Sweet

In: Roarke Smith, Laith Vandermeer, Mitch Wallis

Out: Anthony Scott (AFL health & safety protocols), Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (omitted), Josh Schache (omitted), Rhylee West (medi-sub)

Schache Out

I didn't think the team could get much worse, but dropping the Shack doesn't make a lot of sense. It is so unbalanced, with so many guys being played out of position. Bank holiday weekend here in the UK may not spoil it by watching this one.

Mantis
29-04-2022, 06:50 PM
#inbevowetrust

Danjul
29-04-2022, 07:08 PM
I didn't think the team could get much worse, but dropping the Shack doesn't make a lot of sense. It is so unbalanced, with so many guys being played out of position. Bank holiday weekend here in the UK may not spoil it by watching this one.
He went to the forward line after half time and kicked 2 goals in the second half. Which forward did better?

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 07:20 PM
He went to the forward line after half time and kicked 2 goals in the second half. Which forward did better?

Taylor Walker.

Danjul
29-04-2022, 07:39 PM
Taylor Walker.
Walker got 2 goals after half time. So equal.

The explanation is in here.

Bont : disposals 16, marks 2, goals 1, kicks 7.
Cordy : disposals 7, marks 1, goals 0, kicks 4
Naught: disposals 8, marks 4, goals 2, kicks 5
Schache : disposals 12, marks 6, goals 2, kicks 11
Weightman : disposals 10, marks 2, goals 0, kicks 5

Somewhere

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 07:44 PM
Walker got 2 goals after half time. So equal.

The explanation is in here.

Bont : disposals 16, marks 2, goals 1, kicks 7.
Cordy : disposals 7, marks 1, goals 0, kicks 4
Naught: disposals 8, marks 4, goals 2, kicks 5
Schache : disposals 12, marks 6, goals 2, kicks 11
Weightman : disposals 10, marks 2, goals 0, kicks 5

Somewhere

Walker was amazing for them. A real presence. Wouldn't hurt Josh to watch his tape to learn how to throw that big frame around effectively.

There's more to the game than what you do when you've got it.

I was being tongue in cheek too. Just ignore me like everyone else has learned to do Danj.

GVGjr
29-04-2022, 07:54 PM
No margin for error with the taller boys with Schache out.

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 08:02 PM
#inbevowetrust

#wehaveto

josie
29-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Sheesh. Cannot understand Schache omission. If one of our talls is injured in match eg Martin (quite likely) what’s the backup plan?

G-Mo77
29-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Sheesh. Cannot understand Schache omission. If one of our talls is injured in match eg Martin (quite likely) what’s the backup plan?

That's Cordy's time to shine Josie.

I'm with you though, without JUH, Schache was not someone Inwas expecting to be omitted. He wasn't great but did kick 2 goals in a very poor team. Thought that would be enough?

Grantysghost
29-04-2022, 08:29 PM
That's Cordy's time to shine Josie.

I'm with you though, without JUH, Schache was not someone Inwas expecting to be omitted. He wasn't great but did kick 2 goals in a very poor team. Thought that would be enough?

I think it's his ability to cover the ground and be part of the space invaders grid defence.
Clearly they're concerned about the Dons quick transition play.

(the turnover game)

Bullies
29-04-2022, 08:50 PM
Good to see Roarke amd Vanders go back to the 2's and earn their spot back. Seriously, what example does it set. They aren't certainties to get a game in the 2's with a full list.

Why give West a contract extension when you have no intention of playing him. He must look at McComb and shake his head as most others do. I hope he goes somewhere next year and dominates.

It is bewildering.

Danjul
29-04-2022, 10:41 PM
Walker was amazing for them. A real presence. Wouldn't hurt Josh to watch his tape to learn how to throw that big frame around effectively.

There's more to the game than what you do when you've got it.

I was being tongue in cheek too. Just ignore me like everyone else has learned to do Danj.
I agree with you. It would be a bonus if Schache threw his weight around.

mjp
29-04-2022, 11:17 PM
I'm never surprised by selection these days - when I think zig, Bevo thinks zag...which is why he is coaching where he is and I am coaching where I am!

I think the move of JUH and Schache points clearly to a "moving all the 'Bont is a forward' chips" into the middle of the table. If we are going to play Bont forward, he needs to be kicked the ball one-v-one or even one-v-two...he'll get it. With the other two around, that becomes harder as both are leading/marking players (despite how the Schache got his goals last week)...

Watching the game last week I thought we needed MORE Bont around the footy, not less...like I said, I zig, Bevo zags...I'm looking forward to the game.

FrediKanoute
30-04-2022, 12:03 AM
Watching the game last week I thought we needed MORE Bont around the footy, not less...like I said, I zig, Bevo zags...I'm looking forward to the game.

I agree. Best player why leave him in the forward half.

Happy Days
30-04-2022, 01:30 AM
Bont forward sucks. He’s the best player in the damn world and he’s earned that rep playing as a midfielder. Forward line Bont is a pipe dream, borne out of him being tall and a gun midfielder. Play him on the ball seriously its not that hard.

ratsmac
30-04-2022, 01:46 AM
Bont forward sucks. He’s the best player in the damn world and he’s earned that rep playing as a midfielder. Forward line Bont is a pipe dream, borne out of him being tall and a gun midfielder. Play him on the ball seriously its not that hard.

I totally agree. You move these kinds of midfielders to the forward line when they are in their twilight of their career, not when they are in their prime.

The last time Bevo moved his captain out of his natural position to the forward line 1. it was a flop and 2. he never regained his best form ever again.

Gee I hope Bevo gets this right and we don't waste Bont's prime years

Go_Dogs
30-04-2022, 08:52 AM
Bevo is balancing a lot of player ego I suspect with midfield minutes and the Bont is the bloke prepared to play forward. Hopefully it means someone else has higher trade value to move out at end of year. I also suspect Bont is not quite 100% and wants to demonstrate team first leadership to the group.

Let’s hope our best player and captain doing the team thing inspires

Grantysghost
30-04-2022, 09:19 AM

They changed it last week in game he was at a higher percentage of centre bounces.

My guess is the plan is going to be to start him forward and if the other mids are on top in contested ball like we were v North he will stay there longer

Sedat
30-04-2022, 12:35 PM
I suspect Bont forward is borne about by his injuries compromising his running capacity and presumably not allowing him to play midfield for long stretches. If that is the case, Bont up forward is a more dangerous match-up than Marra or Shack. It also gives Bailey Smith, Libba, Macrae, Dunks and Treloar more oppprtunity (and no excuses) to step up in the middle and take ownership from the source. That is still a huge chunk of talent in our midfield.

Mofra
30-04-2022, 01:24 PM
I'm not as down on Bont forward as others are.... except against sides with small midfields, which basically means Essendon and Brisbane. I really thought this week was the week to give Khamis a well-deserved opportunity.

Dunkley needs to have a blinder for this to work. Our mids are a little bit selfish - they all hunt the ball or run to receive. Essendon's mids are the same, they are accumulators (esp. Parish and Zerritt) but who does the grunt work? Draper for the Bombers, Libba for us perhaps.

Rutten hasn't coached a win this year though so if we're serious about even making finals, we win this.

soupman
30-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Very similiar to the pre season game where we had Naughton as our only real tall option. Hope we don't adopt the same approach of constantly bombing it forward to only him so that Ridley can take intercept mark after intercept mark.

azabob
30-04-2022, 02:27 PM
Very similiar to the pre season game where we had Naughton as our only real tall option. Hope we don't adopt the same approach of constantly bombing it forward to only him so that Ridley can take intercept mark after intercept mark.

Surely we worked through this issue during the week considering how bad we were against the crows.

soupman
30-04-2022, 02:52 PM
Surely we worked through this issue during the week considering how bad we were against the crows.

You have more faith than I do.