PDA

View Full Version : Saints accuse Swans of tunnelling

Dry Rot
25-03-2008, 08:36 PM
What do you make of this - are the Saints being soft or is it a dangerous illegal practice?

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:42 PM
What do you make of this - are the Saints being soft or is it a dangerous illegal practice?

It's been creeping into the game for a few seasons and is a dangerous practice. Once you are in the air you can have some real problems if your opponent does it to you.

hujsh
25-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Is tunneling taking the lags out from benieth(spelling?) a player in the air?

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Is tunneling taking the lags out from benieth(spelling?) a player in the air?

Yes. It's different to just trying to move your opponent under the ball.

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2008, 08:54 PM
What did they expect defenders would do? There's **** all left for them other than to bend over and take it.

Next they'll call out 'CONTACT' and make them stand next to the forward while he shoots.

ledge
25-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Its not a new thing, i remember Gary Dempsey did it to Peter Knights and broke his collarbone if i remember rightly. I think Gary got him twice in 2 years

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 08:58 PM
What did they expect defenders would do? There's **** all left for them other than to bend over and take it.

Next they'll call out 'CONTACT' and make them stand next to the forward while he shoots.

Its not just forwards copping this. It's even happened at ruck contests.
Forwards are getting it too easy but this is not something that we want to creep into the game.

BulldogBelle
25-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes. It's different to just trying to move your opponent under the ball.

They did mention on SEN this morning whilst driving into work that Luke Darcy received a please explain from the AFL a few years ago for 'tunnelling' a player and was told to not do it again.

westdog54
25-03-2008, 09:28 PM
It's been creeping into the game for a few seasons and is a dangerous practice. Once you are in the air you can have some real problems if your opponent does it to you.

As far as I'm concerned the player who jumps for the ball has to be protected.

Its a highly, highly frowned upon practice in Basketball.

In Rugby, if you tackle the player in mid-air, you're lucky if you only concede a penalty. It can get you sent off. The same applies when a player is lifted in a tackle, the tackler has a responsibility to bring the ball carrier down safely. Anything less is dangerous play.

GVGjr
25-03-2008, 09:29 PM
They did mention on SEN this morning whilst driving into work that Luke Darcy received a please explain from the AFL a few years ago for 'tunnelling' a player and was told to not do it again.

I remember something like that. It was twice in the one game and in ruck contests.

The Coon Dog
25-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Its not a new thing, i remember Gary Dempsey did it to Peter Knights and broke his collarbone if i remember rightly. I think Gary got him twice in 2 years

Happened in 1975 or 1976. I was playing for the Footscray Little League & we used to change in the opponents rooms & just before half time they bought Peter Knights into the rooms on a stretcher. We were all gobsmacked.

LostDoggy
25-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Tunnelling? I thought that was a practice of the early 90s?
Little Bourke wasn't it, Darren Milliane did his best work there.

ledge
25-03-2008, 10:51 PM
As far as I'm concerned the player who jumps for the ball has to be protected.

Its a highly, highly frowned upon practice in Basketball.

In Rugby, if you tackle the player in mid-air, you're lucky if you only concede a penalty. It can get you sent off. The same applies when a player is lifted in a tackle, the tackler has a responsibility to bring the ball carrier down safely. Anything less is dangerous play.

Difference is its the player who is going for the mark jumping into the player underneath not the player underneath jumping into the player in the air, all you do is bend forward as player comes over the top and he lands smack on turf head first.
You cant report someone for bending over can you?

Rocket Science
26-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Strewth.

At the risk of aligning myself with the dinosaurs of the footy world, just be done with it and outlaw backmen altogether.

This is cheeky in the extreme, and I'm staggered the Saints' stance is being taken seriously, whose cause I note has been lent further wight by Richo...beautiful.

Desipura
26-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Happened in 1975 or 1976. I was playing for the Footscray Little League & we used to change in the opponents rooms & just before half time they bought Peter Knights into the rooms on a stretcher. We were all gobsmacked.
Sorry to get off the topic, ahh the little league when 2 teams played the whole ground.
I played for the dogs in 1980 against Richmond at Waverley. We lost by 2 points with yours truly getting one kick and snagging a goal wearing the famous number 7! Gee the players looked huge to a then 10yo. The seniors got pumped by 12 goals in the pouring rain. I still have the footy record. At least I can say I kicked a goal for Footscray! hehe