PDA

View Full Version : Port Adelaide: Level of Vengeance

mjp
04-05-2022, 09:30 AM
Anyone else think Port Adelaide are going to unleash this week...

I have a REAL bad feeling - the only thing that makes me feel somewhat OK is hearing about the travel debacle they endured last week...but then again, they are young, fit, professional athletes and have a full week to recover.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2022, 09:42 AM
"It's not you, it's me".

I'm more worried about what WE will serve up, as opposed to Port Adelaide.

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2022, 09:44 AM
"It's not you, it's me".

I'm more worried about what WE will serve up, as opposed to Port Adelaide.

Agree with this.

We comfortably handle Port Adelaide if we are on, but we haven't put it together this year when there is any pressure on.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2022, 09:45 AM
They will be keen to atone, but they were keen to atone for the 2020 disappointment last year and that didn’t help them…

Two sides that could dish up absolutely anything.

mjp
04-05-2022, 09:53 AM
Well, this sucks. I had a scale of vengeance poll but it took me too long to type it and now I can't post it...

Sorry team.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2022, 09:57 AM
What was the scale?

mjp
04-05-2022, 10:41 AM
1-10

1 was "Everyone involved in the Veale deal (post deal)
10 was "Tom Boyd in the 2016 GF (Folk Hero status).

Billy Barret even got a run (he was "2") and the other part of that trade (Ian Stewart) was 7.

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 10:44 AM
I reckon they’re pissed, and no one takes the minutia of football more serious than Port Adelaide, but I don’t know if they’re good enough to do shit about it.

We really need this one, hopefully we can just play to our best because on paper we really match up well against them.

Mofra
04-05-2022, 11:29 AM
I reckon they’re pissed, and no one takes the minutia of football more serious than Port Adelaide, but I don’t know if they’re good enough to do shit about it.

We really need this one, hopefully we can just play to our best because on paper we really match up well against them.
The first quarter will tell the tale. If we kick the first couple, the doubts will creep into their play.

May actually be worth starting Libba & Dunks in the centre for the first bounce as our best contested beasts. Win the first clearance, anything to bring back the mental demons.

We really need to make their backline accountable in the air too. Aliir can cut us up if Jonas continuously peels off and gets a block on Naughton's launch. This is a week where three marking options (at least) have to work hard in the F50.

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 11:40 AM
The first quarter will tell the tale. If we kick the first couple, the doubts will creep into their play.

May actually be worth starting Libba & Dunks in the centre for the first bounce as our best contested beasts. Win the first clearance, anything to bring back the mental demons.

We really need to make their backline accountable in the air too. Aliir can cut us up if Jonas continuously peels off and gets a block on Naughton's launch. This is a week where three marking options (at least) have to work hard in the F50.

Agree with all of this. We’ve been able to negate Allir two of the last three times, once by design with Schache and once by Naughton completely kicking his arse. Seems like they will do anything to stop Jonas from actually playing on anyone so Allir, in that primary KPD role could again be exploited to our advantage if we can isolate him without help.

We also have to establish ourselves in the middle so starting the bulls together is a good call too, and given speed on the ball won’t be a priority we should probably start with Bont as the third. Wines and Boak carved us to pieces in round 23 last year and SPP, in spite of himself, is in career best form. I think our guys are better but they don’t seem to have clicked all too often this year and I’m hesitant to be too confident in them to get on top.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2022, 11:41 AM
I remember earlier in the year some of our players were asked what their favourite grounds to play on were. A number of them chose Adelaide as their favourite. I am confident about this match especially if Tim is back.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 12:20 PM
Weather is going to play apart as there is 70% chance of rain

Mofra
04-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Caleb Daniel BOG.

Happy Days
04-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Caleb Daniel BOG.

Roarke Smith*

Hope Schache plays if for no other reason so we can burn another few hundred posts talking about whether he’s any good in the wet.

Scraggers
04-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Do we then risk bringing back Keath and English?

Axe Man
04-05-2022, 01:01 PM

Only a 10% chance at game time, most of the rain predicted in the morning.

Grantysghost
04-05-2022, 01:10 PM

Our medical staff are pretty conservative to begin with so I honestly think if they're ready then I'm ok with playing them and don't think it's a risk (as much as you can say that with soft tissue injuries).

azabob
04-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Our medical staff are pretty conservative to begin with so I honestly think if they're ready then I'm ok with playing them and don't think it's a risk (as much as you can say that with soft tissue injuries).

Of course it is a risk playing Keath on a cold and wet Friday night.

His soft tissue injuries with us re-surfaced on a cold and wet Friday night at the G last year against Melbourne.

I'm deadset against Keath playing this week.

Testekill
04-05-2022, 01:35 PM

His soft tissue injuries with us re-surfaced on a cold and wet Friday night at the G last year against Melbourne.

Yeah I'd hold off on Keath for another week, Power don't have Dixon so their talls aren't going to be particularly threatening.

Grantysghost
04-05-2022, 01:36 PM

My stance is if the medicos say he's clear then I believe the risk has been mitigated enough for me to accept the decision as our guys are generally pretty conservative. I don't recall too many guys coming in too quickly with soft tissues and re-injuring.
But I understand we maybe need to be doubly cautious with the A. P. E. T....

Sedat
04-05-2022, 04:43 PM
Roarke Smith*
His best handful AFL games have all been against Port. Horses for courses he plays this week.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 04:57 PM

will get around 5 to 6m during game.

azabob
04-05-2022, 05:02 PM

This thread needs more EastDog

bornadog
04-05-2022, 05:03 PM
This thread needs more EastDog

Is he a weather man :D

Axe Man
04-05-2022, 05:12 PM

5 to 6 metres? Players better swap their boots for flippers!

Seriously though I'm not sure where you are getting that from? BOM predicts only a 10% chance of bugger all rain Friday night and only 1-4mm for all of Friday and "most likely in the morning".

bornadog
04-05-2022, 05:14 PM

Seriously though I'm not sure where you are getting that from? BOM predicts only a 10% chance of bugger all rain Friday night and only 1-4mm for all of Friday and "most likely in the morning".

I have access to a forecasting tool from Jane Bunn :) In any case it is bugger all.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2022, 05:58 PM

I'd like to see Bevo put Bont back in the midfield for maximum minutes. Use his height and reach.

bornadog
04-05-2022, 06:19 PM
I'd like to see Bevo put Bont back in the midfield for maximum minutes. Use his height and reach.

Did that last week

jeemak
04-05-2022, 07:13 PM

I love how you portray Port Adelaide, probably my favourite of your vast array of shit cannery because it's so niche.

Like the drunk guy at the pub looking for a fight nobody wants to have (or similar) is something I recycle often when talking about people in the business world I come across!

AshMac
04-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Good thread - was thinking the same this morning. We have to have a bit of confidence having beaten them there the last few times.

But - we are playing like sh&t right now and honestly could lose to anyone other than essendon or north.

EasternWest
04-05-2022, 07:47 PM
You guys are mad we'll starch these dickheads.

MrMahatma
04-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Their form has been better the past 2 weeks and unfortunately their season is, kinda, still alive.

Hopefully if English plays we can dominate clearances and Keath can play but not have to do too much cause it doesn’t get down their.

I’m sure they’ll be gutted about last year but I reckon it’s more likely to work in our favour than theirs. If we get on top the demons will arrive, but if they get on top I don’t reckon it’ll make them even better still.

We need to win so should come out firing.

The bulldog tragician
04-05-2022, 11:33 PM
Desire for vengeance didn’t work too well for us in Round One.

soupman
05-05-2022, 12:47 AM

Bom are cooked. Made some cuts and relocations to perssonel around the start of the pandemic and service quality has drastically reduced.

We play well on Adelaide and match up well, assuming we are interested then I think we should be able to handle whatever they want to throw at us.

FrediKanoute
05-05-2022, 03:58 AM
On any given day any team can beat us......we have proven that!

Do I think Port will win - if we bring the requisite level of intensity and play to our level then no. A big if though!

bornadog
05-05-2022, 05:22 PM
Well Ken Hinkley answers MJP:

Prelim disaster irrelevant to Friday night rematch: Hinkley (https://www.afl.com.au/news/754209/prelim-disaster-irrelevant-to-friday-night-rematch-hinkley)

KEN HINKLEY says he has no control over the narrative of a mentally scarred Port Adelaide facing its tormenters, the Western Bulldogs.

But the Power coach says what happened during one of his club's darkest nights is largely irrelevant to Friday night's clash against the Dogs.

The last time they met, in a preliminary final last season, the Power were humiliated in a 71-point home loss to the Bulldogs.

"I am not qualified to know exactly what mental scarring is going to do or not do to people," Hinkley said on Thursday.

"All I can say is that ... this competition is so close and changes so quickly, I don't think you can reflect too far back to get a guide to what is going to happen in the next game.

"Clearly I knew we were going to get this question about whether we have looked and reviewed the Western Bulldogs' prelim final.

"We do that with every team we play ... we have done that this time.

"We're hoping and expecting a much better result but we know the quality of the opposition.

"What went on six months ago is going to have very little to do (with Friday night) but we will certainly not be ignorant and not try and learn from what went on."

Hinkley said much had changed at both Port and Bulldogs entering the Adelaide Oval fixture.

Both clubs were pre-season tips to feature at the top end of the ladder but both are struggling — Port lost its initial five games and sit in 13th spot, three rungs below the Dogs.

"Right now we're not talking about the same two sides," Hinkley said.

"It would be unfair for either us or the Western Bulldogs to spend too much time thinking about what happened (last year) ... we're in a different position.

"We have started the season in the position that we are and we're going to continually get questioned.

"And we have just got to continue to stay focused on what we can control and that is our effort day-by-day and preparation day-by-day.

"To narrow it down to one particular game and try and get a full-stop that this game will tell us where we're at is not right.

"We have just got to continue to build ... you have got to stay in the moment, don't get lost in trying to judge where you are right now."

boydogs
05-05-2022, 09:49 PM

Agree with all of this. We’ve been able to negate Allir two of the last three times, once by design with Schache and once by Naughton completely kicking his arse. Seems like they will do anything to stop Jonas from actually playing on anyone so Allir, in that primary KPD role could again be exploited to our advantage if we can isolate him without help

Beat Aliir and we're half way there. Can Cordy do it?

FrediKanoute
06-05-2022, 01:25 AM

Will have to since go to man Scache isn't even in the emergencies!

azabob
06-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Will have to since go to man Scache isn't even in the emergencies!

Big test for Buku? Has been playing forward in the VFL the last few weeks and obviously prior to that he was in defense.