PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned Round eight 2022 v Port

Twodogs
05-05-2022, 08:56 PM
Well it's over a third of the way through the season already. Tell us three things you learnt tonight.

GVGjr
06-05-2022, 07:55 PM
Bump

Mutz
06-05-2022, 11:28 PM
1. In Bont's absence, where are the other group leaders to stand up?

2. OK, so our game plan is that we only need 1 tall for a ruck. Seems like that logic now extends to the backline.

3. Umpiring decisions were more variable than usual - to our disadvantage. Made up for quality by quantity (40).

Bonus. We don't deserve one today.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2022, 11:31 PM
1. Khamis is worth giving a bunch of games to, but not as a defender. As a forward. Should get it now due to injuries.

2. Not sure what Vandermeer brings anymore. He's one that needs a position change.

3. Daniel is horribly out of form. We've tried him as a defender and as a mid but he's just not having an impact.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2022, 11:45 PM
1. We rely on our top tier talent far too much and we can't cover when some of them are missing.

2. Our bottom six are not just up to it. They can't find the footy. They don't tackle. Their skills are not up to it when they get it.

3. How damaging would Naughton be with half good service? He is a star.

westbulldog
06-05-2022, 11:50 PM
1.Rucks and talls definitely don't count according to our selection committee whose bedtime read is Gulliver's travels. PA took 21 marks inside the forward 50.
2.Cordy 7 possessions, McNeill 6, Scott 8 and 6 tackles between the three of them...play it again Sam.
3. Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Joel Corey are at Freo whilst we have ... who ?

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-05-2022, 11:50 PM
1. Without Bont English Keath Bruce and Wallis we lacked class and experience.
2. Our back line apart from Dale and Richards was badly exposed.
3. A fine effort by Naughton in an otherwise poor attack.

MrMahatma
06-05-2022, 11:55 PM
1. Our depth sucks.
2. Our coaches play effort over ability.
3. We lack leadership. Too many mature players just do so little when needed.
4. Baz and Naughts never ever give up. That’s the attitude that we need.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:00 AM
I didn't learn much really.

1. Buku is a great kick for goal. Let's leave him forward looks lost anywhere else.

2. Too many similar types with little experience tonight. McComb, McNeil, Scott, LVDM who can use it poorly under pressure. We need more class delivering inside 50. I actually think we miss Hannan in this regard. I'm not sure why we needed McComb. Forced with injuries to an extent.

3. Macrae can stand up as the captain. Can hold his head high.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:03 AM
1. Our depth sucks.
2. Our coaches play effort over ability.
3. We lack leadership. Too many mature players just do so little when needed.
4. Baz and Naughts never ever give up. That’s the attitude that we need.

Just on point 1 we had Wallis, Hannan, Hunter, JJ, Keath, English, Bruce, McLean, Bontempelli, Garcia unavailable and performed quite well losing 3 along the way.

We are certainly unbalanced but I think the depth is there.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2022, 12:06 AM
Just on point 1 we had Wallis, Hannan, Hunter, JJ, Keath, English, Bruce, McLean, Bontempelli, Garcia unavailable and performed quite well losing 3 along the way.

We are certainly unbalanced but I think the depth is there.

Agree to an extent. Injuries have really hurt us. However I think the talent of the replacements of in partiuclar Hunter, JJ, Keath, English, Bruce and Bont are a not even close to equivalents. If those six play we win easily.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Agree to an extent. Injuries have really hurt us. However I think the talent of the replacements of in partiuclar Hunter, JJ, Keath, English, Bruce and Bont are a not even close to equivalents. If those six play we win easily.

True AP, but there would be few sides who could cover that loss of talent.

Be like Petracca, May, Langdon, Gawn, Fritsch, Pickett out for Demons probably.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2022, 12:11 AM

Yes. We just need to take into account the run of injuries. We can talk about depth. But in reality you don't keep too much depth on your list for too long as if they are not getting a game as they want to leave. Especially if you make finals and they are outside of the team. e.g. Lippa

Happy Days
07-05-2022, 12:14 AM
1. Finlayson’s bald spot isn’t that bad. Why is his hairline so grim bro just push it back you’re doing yourself no favours.

2. Macrae is a real leader. He put he team on his back tonight and I’m really proud of him.

3. We have the ticker. We’re gonna be fine.

Vred
07-05-2022, 12:15 AM
1. Our
2. Season's
3. Done

The bulldog tragician
07-05-2022, 12:18 AM

Why doesn’t that ever happen? :mad:

angelopetraglia
07-05-2022, 12:19 AM

Element of luck. Element of good fitness and planning. We are losing a lot of players to soft tissues. English hammy. Keath hammy. JJ calf. Vanda hammy.

Happy Days
1. Our
2. Season's
3. Done

Really? Why? We’re 3-5 and have a million guys to come back. That effort is the one that makes you give up?

Grantysghost
1. Our
2. Season's
3. Done

Have faith Vred I can see a barnstorming finish in our future!

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 12:21 AM

That's actually a fair question. Why do we cop so many injuries?
Is it the gameplan, medicos, strength training, luck??

We cop it every single season.

Vred
07-05-2022, 12:23 AM
Really? Why? We’re 3-5 and have a million guys to come back. That effort is the one that makes you give up?

We'll be lucky, LUCKY to make the 8, we've just copped 5 injuries, some to best 22 players.. I could go on about our tactics, coaching, lack of conditioning, etc, but what's the point.

Play the kids for the rest of the season, get games into Jones, Bendendo, Cleary, JUH hell even Sweet to see if he shows something at AFL level. Right now with the list, game plan, and questionable coaching, I'm more confident than ever that we aren't winning the flag this year.

The bulldog tragician
07-05-2022, 12:24 AM
1. Finlayson’s bald spot isn’t that bad. Why is his hairline so grim bro just push it back you’re doing yourself no favours.

2. Macrae is a real leader. He put he team on his back tonight and I’m really proud of him.

3. We have the ticker. We’re gonna be fine.

1. Happy Days can always make me laugh.
2. Bailey Williams would be playing twos if we didn’t have such appalling injuries.
3. This loss was explicable. The loss to Adelaide may be the one that costs us the slim chance for finals even in the event (with our luck you wouldn’t bet on it) that all those injured come back fit and stay that wat.

DOG GOD
07-05-2022, 01:20 AM
1. We had good effort but realistically port should’ve won by 40 points.
2. The true Gardner showed his head tonight. We need KPD’s urgently.
3. Baz and Naughton bring the energy that I wish the TEAM had.
4. It’s a long long long road from here.

Mantis
07-05-2022, 08:38 AM
4. It’s a long long long road from here.

How is that true about Gardner if he has been more than serviceable in our first 6 games? Wasn’t last night the anomaly? Plus he looked lame for much of the night.

Mantis
07-05-2022, 08:41 AM
1/ Cordy can’t play in the forwardline ever again. 1 kick that he kicked into the man in the mark. It’s either in defence or Footscray for him.

2/ Stef Martin needs to fall on his sword.

3/ We kept coming… we didn’t look like scoring other than to scrap it through, but we didn’t throw the towel in.

GVGjr
07-05-2022, 09:04 AM
1/ Cordy can’t play in the forwardline ever again. 1 kick that he kicked into the man in the mark. It’s either in defence or Footscray for him.

2/ Stef Martin needs to fall on his sword.

3/ We kept coming… we didn’t look like scoring other than to scrap it through, but we didn’t throw the towel in.

Point 3 was the real noticeable takeaway for me. Terrific spirit even though we were clearly struggling and losing control of the game.

Bullies
07-05-2022, 09:33 AM
I didn't learn much really.

1. Buku is a great kick for goal. Let's leave him forward looks lost anywhere else.

2. Too many similar types with little experience tonight. McComb, McNeil, Scott, LVDM who can use it poorly under pressure. We need more class delivering inside 50. I actually think we miss Hannan in this regard. I'm not sure why we needed McComb. Forced with injuries to an extent.

3. Macrae can stand up as the captain. Can hold his head high. I agree with you that Hannan is very under rated with the role he plays. Big on pressure and provides the grunt in the forward line.

McComb should not play again. We saw enough in the 2's to know his skills were dreadful and still staggering he was given a spot on the list at 27 years of age. Bad move list managers.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 09:35 AM
How is that true about Gardner if he has been more than serviceable in our first 6 games? Wasn’t last night the anomaly? Plus he looked lame for much of the night.

Spot on. He hurt his leg early on and looked quite proppy after.

Bullies
07-05-2022, 09:37 AM
4. It’s a long long long road from here. Bit harsh on Gardner. Gardner played injured from early in the 1st quarter and never went off. You could see he was so much discomfort which is why Port tried to get him up an down the ground. He is also the number 1 key defender at the moment when he should be 2 or 3. There are many more I would have in the gun that don't show anywhere near as much determination as he does.

EasternWest
07-05-2022, 09:39 AM

Gardner was clearly carrying an injury, but your point re needing a big KPD is correct. The main man down back is not the role he should be playing.

Agreed, Gardner generally has been fine.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 09:40 AM
I agree with you that Hannan is very under rated with the role he plays. Big on pressure and provides the grunt in the forward line.

McComb should not play again. We saw enough in the 2's to know his skills were dreadful and still staggering he was given a spot on the list at 27 years of age. Bad move list managers.

I kind of understand rewarding guys from Footscray but we just had so many of his type I would have preferred someone like a Glass-McCasker who I thought was very good and fills a list hole.

I don't think we can exclude McComb now he's on the list, but I tend to agree re list management. Wouldn't we be better off getting games into West?

DOG GOD
07-05-2022, 11:35 AM
Probably coz I don’t rate him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2022, 02:00 PM
1. We're not quite right, and we're missing some key troops, but I really don't think we're that far off.

2. Big game step-up from Naughts, he's played some big games before, but there was a really different look about him last night. He really looked like he wanted to step up leadership wise in Bont's absence and be the irresistable force that changes the game. Just a pity he didn't have enough mates. He kicked really well too. I had two his goals last night as one's historically he's been most likely to miss.

3. This is more something I'd like to learn, as opposed to what I learned. So, question? if Port got 8 goals generated from their back-half, who were the culprits in our team allowing this? Were one or two in our forward half not getting to the right defensive positions, or was it the next line -our mids?

We're normally very good at not allowing high numbers of opposition scores generated from their back-half. At times last night Port's ball movement started from their backmen looked like one of those cartoonish checkerboard scenes, where one player criss-crosses all the way to the other end of the board in one move.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 02:10 PM
1. We're not quite right, and we're missing some key troops, but I really don't think we're that far off.

2. Big game step-up from Naughts, he's played some big games before, but there was a really different look about him last night. He really looked like he wanted to step up leadership wise in Bont's absence and be the irresistable force that changes the game. Just a pity he didn't have enough mates. He kicked really well too. I had two his goals last night as one's historically he's been most likely to miss.

3. This is more something I'd like to learn, as opposed to what I learned. So, question? if Port got 8 goals generated from their back-half, who were the culprits in our team allowing this? Were one or two in our forward half not getting to the right defensive positions, or was it the next line -our mids?

We're normally very good at not allowing high numbers of opposition scores generated from their back-half. At times last night Port's ball movement started from their backmen looked like one of those cartoonish checkerboard scenes, where one player criss-crosses all the way to the other end of the board in one move.

3. I reckon it's partly our part time forwards not pressuring enough, and two the complete aerial dominance of the Power because the ball came in so quickly.
Our forwards and mids didn't pressure/zone well enough to cause scrappy entries. They were way too clean.

Happy Days
07-05-2022, 02:44 PM
3. I reckon it's partly our part time forwards not pressuring enough, and two the complete aerial dominance of the Power because the ball came in so quickly.
Our forwards and mids didn't pressure/zone well enough to cause scrappy entries. They were way too clean.

I mean the press wasn’t quite perfect and a few entries were way too quick, but at some stage you’ve gotta actually expect your defenders to do some defending. We got badly worked in the air all night. Crozier’s “effort” in particular wasn’t even VAFA standard.

Grantysghost
07-05-2022, 02:48 PM
I mean the press wasn’t quite perfect and a few entries were way too quick, but at some stage you’ve gotta actually expect your defenders to do some defending. We got badly worked in the air all night. Crozier’s “effort” in particular wasn’t even VAFA standard.

Do we have any "defenders"?

Gardner, O'Brien.....

Bullies
07-05-2022, 03:32 PM
Crozier has been cooked for 2 years now. That contract has certainly come back to bite. He has lost pace and has absolutely no confidence. Forwards queue up to play on him.