PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned Round nine 2022 v Collingwood

Twodogs
11-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Alrighty. What are three things you learnt tonight against the Carringbush?

GVGjr
13-05-2022, 10:52 PM
Bump

Mutz
13-05-2022, 11:36 PM
1. Sweet did a great job. When we are competitive in the ruck contests then we win the clearances. I hope the MC now see the bleeding obvious.

2. We have a lot of similar builds on the field but I think West may have differentiated himself tonight but he needs to keep it up.

3. Been thinking for a while that our tackles are soft. Definitely still true tonight.

Bonus. Richards was hyped up before the game (Fox) and he wasn't jinxed by it. Love the way he takes on the game.

Extra. Tremendous game by the mid-fielders; Smith, Treloar, Macrae, Bont and Libba (back to winning 80% of the tough ball).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-05-2022, 12:22 AM
1. Naughton's forward craft has noticeably improved again this year. His running patterns, work rate, and the leadership he's showing on field this past 2 weeks especially is a big tick. He's really vocal and you can see him coaching the other guys around him in the forward line.....And most important in his development, his impact and conversion at critical times, tonight was just precisely what you want from your big dog up forward.

2. Gardner. Some big strides this past month. He's had a tough time being the main key defender without Keath, but maybe that was a good schooling experience for him. He was very good tonight with Keath back to help, and its great to see him back his judgement and execution both in the air and by foot. He looked so much more composed.

3. If we can get our win-loss back to even, or even get slightly ahead of the ledger in the next 5 or 6 weeks, we just might be able to get some decent cavalry back in time for yet another late run home to the finals.

AshMac
14-05-2022, 12:31 AM
1. There is no downside in playing sweet compared with Martin, only upside

2. Cleary looks like he has an AFL brain in his head - composed, deliberate and decent disposal

3. Collingwood we’re putrid, still waiting for us to show something that suggests our firm is turning

angelopetraglia
14-05-2022, 01:04 AM
1. Our midfield with time and space will burn the opposition. We won the first seven centre clearances of the game. Game over.

2. Swett was way more competitive and athletic than Martin. Sweet has to now be in front of Martin.

3. West did some really nice things and some tough things where he put his body on the line. He is a natural footballer. Hopefully he can build on that.

bornadog
14-05-2022, 01:06 AM
1. Goalkicking is still an issue

2. Supporters staying away is an issue

3. We are back on track

westbulldog
14-05-2022, 01:11 AM
1. Jordon Sweet vindicated his selection tonight
2. McNeill sometimes demonstrates the worst kick in the AFL.
3. Khamis and Cleary have potential.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2022, 01:23 AM
1. Goalkicking is still an issue

2. Supporters staying away is an issue

3. We are back on track

It was like we were an interstate team tonight. Really poor attendance from Dogs fans.

CarnTheScray
14-05-2022, 02:00 AM
It was like we were an interstate team tonight. Really poor attendance from Dogs fans.
General admission was sold out, and the crowd was 45k. Do you expect thousands of our supporters to shell out $80 per seat to sit on level 1 for a 9th vs 10th game?

angelopetraglia
14-05-2022, 02:12 AM
General admission was sold out, and the crowd was 45k. Do you expect thousands of our supporters to shell out $80 per seat to sit on level 1 for a 9th vs 10th game?

This is great point. Agree. I got a seat via my AFL Membership and still ended up on the top deck in row R. It also begs the question why the game was not played at the MCG.

whythelongface
14-05-2022, 08:53 AM
This is great point. Agree. I got a seat via my AFL Membership and still ended up on the top deck in row R. It also begs the question why the game was not played at the MCG.

Would the crowd have been much larger at the MCG? Maybe 50 to 55K. Wondering if the Pies thought a more full house at Marvel would be more of a factor for them than a half full MCG. There are good signs we are continuing to build our supporter base thus hopefully in a few years this may not enter into the equation and we are able to pull larger crowds at the G.

Probably did us a favour by playing at Marvel though.

whythelongface
14-05-2022, 08:57 AM
1. Treloar is top gun when on song. More please.

2. Khamis is developing nicely. Plays taller than he is and is good at ground level. In a few years we will have a forward line with Naughton, Khamis, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman at their peak. Mouth-watering.

3. Our defensive structure is so much better with Keath in the team. This allows Gardner more freedom as well. Gardner is becoming quite good with the ball in hand. Generally good kick selection and also takes the game on.

DOG GOD
14-05-2022, 10:19 AM
1. Our first quarter was exactly how our mids should play. Sharing the ball. It was noticeable and it won us the game at quarter time.
2. Sweet and West did well. West adds something that McComb and McNeil don’t.
3. When we hit the switch we are unstoppable. Just gotta find that consistency over 4 quarters.

SonofScray
14-05-2022, 12:04 PM
1 Buku lit a fire beneath the supporters. Brought some joy to the game.
2 Richards is developing a real courageous streak
3 Sweet and Libba brought a real sense of aggression and physicality to the game that has been missing.

Happy Days
14-05-2022, 01:33 PM
1. I watched the game at the Mona Castle, where they had 3 tvs showing the game, all about 5 seconds apart. I learnt that this is a really annoying way to watch football.

2. Jordon Sweet is not literally the worst ruckman and player in the AFL (whoever those jabronis playing for Collingwood are) but that doesn’t mean I have any confidence in him against Witts next week.

3. Darcy Moore is kinda bad, can’t go with key forwards of quality and has to resort to cheap shotting them when they’re airborne to have any chance of actually doing his job.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Another thing, Smith has a problem with kicking goals. It's between the ears. He should have had many more goals. The angle and distance no problem. Lacks composure in front of goals. Hope he can fix it.

Collingwood are quitters. By the fourth quarter we were jogging around them on the mark.

AshMac
14-05-2022, 04:26 PM

I was at the game last night and been at every one this season, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t harder this year to peel myself out of the comfort of my home to the ground at 6pm compared with other years.

It’s a very disappointing season, we’re seeing the effect of that in crowd numbers

Twodogs
14-05-2022, 09:08 PM
1. I watched the game at the Mona Castle, where they had 3 tvs showing the game, all about 5 seconds apart. I learnt that this is a really annoying way to watch football.

What's the new renovation like?

Twodogs
14-05-2022, 09:12 PM
3. Our defensive structure is so much better with Keath in the team. This allows Gardner more freedom as well. Gardner is becoming quite good with the ball in hand. Generally good kick selection and also takes the game on.

He's so important isn't he? We look so much more solid and reliable with him down back.

The Underdog
14-05-2022, 09:22 PM
I was at the game last night and been at every one this season, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t harder this year to peel myself out of the comfort of my home to the ground at 6pm compared with other years.

It’s a very disappointing season, we’re seeing the effect of that in crowd numbers

Well done. I haven’t made it to one yet.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-05-2022, 11:16 PM
I sat on the top level for the first half and stood on the ground level for the second half. I still think the top level at Marvel is pretty good just a different perspective. i normally have a reserved seat on the ground level. If our supporters drop off now it doesn't bode well for when we invariably slide.

westbulldog
15-05-2022, 09:40 AM

2. Jordon Sweet is not literally the worst ruckman and player in the AFL (whoever those jabronis playing for Collingwood are) but that doesn’t mean I have any confidence in him against Witts next week.

3. Darcy Moore is kinda bad, can’t go with key forwards of quality and has to resort to cheap shotting them when they’re airborne to have any chance of actually doing his job.

06-05-2022,
by Happy Days
Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R8 2022
Sweet is seriously so bad.

Quick backflip in one week :)

Happy Days
15-05-2022, 10:16 AM
06-05-2022,
by Happy Days
Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R8 2022
Sweet is seriously so bad.

Quick backflip in one week :)

Excuse me but around here we don't check post histories.

Also it was legitimately something I learnt!

Jeanette54
15-05-2022, 12:13 PM
1. Our player development is in good hands, almost every player elevated to the seniors during this current glut of injuries has stood up and contributed in some way.

2. In spite of all the hype surrounding Dunks and his desired defection to the Bumbers, he is still a whole hearted Bulldog on the field.

3. There are 3 games I desperately want us to win each year. Essendon, Collingwood and GWS. So far we are 2-0, just one more to fill the bucket list. If we can do that then Geelong will be added.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-05-2022, 07:03 PM
1. Khamis has got it; natural footballers are gems, especially if they have goal sense!
2. Sweet is in front of Martin.
3. Buku is in front of Jamarra.

ratsmac
15-05-2022, 10:23 PM
1. When we click we can beat any team in the comp. Even Melbourne. But we don't click for long enough sometimes

2. Bontempelli gives us a sense of calmness that was glaringly missing last week.

3. I don't like being too negative after a win but McNeil.... I wouldn't be fussed if he never played ones ever again

westbulldog
16-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Excuse me but around here we don't check post histories.

Also it was legitimately something I learnt!

Well glad you learned something. Re checking past histories, only the mods make the rules :) and there was this :-
09-04-2022, Happy Days
Post Thanks / Like
Re: Who plays 2nd ruck?
Anyone who asks why Sweet isn’t playing isn’t a real head.

Happy Days
16-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Well glad you learned something. Re checking past histories, only the mods make the rules :) and there was this :-
09-04-2022, Happy Days
Post Thanks / Like
Re: Who plays 2nd ruck?
Anyone who asks why Sweet isn’t playing isn’t a real head.

Bro it is literally my birthday why you gotta choose violence.

Grantysghost
16-05-2022, 12:12 PM

Yes so uncivilised (please dont go to grand final day westbulldog)

Oh yeah and...

https://media.giphy.com/media/9zQ0e9o8KGzb2wK6w6/giphy.gif

bornadog
16-05-2022, 12:19 PM

Have a great day

https://media2.giphy.com/media/wOaFj7xhUp6Yb7ia29/giphy.gif

Happy Days
16-05-2022, 12:36 PM
Also I’m not fully conceding on Sweet yet and reserve the right to crack it in the Game Day thread if Witts takes 15 or so contested marks on the broadcast wing.

bornadog
16-05-2022, 01:24 PM
Also I’m not fully conceding on Sweet yet and reserve the right to crack it in the Game Day thread if Witts takes 15 or so contested marks on the broadcast wing.

Unofficial WOOF rule is Game Day comments are not to be quoted any where else.

hujsh
16-05-2022, 01:27 PM

I think you'll find that when Sweet has played this year we have a 100% win record. Coincidence? I think not.

The only reason we lose this week is we don't have 2 Sweets. Then we'd have a 200% win record.

Grantysghost
16-05-2022, 01:53 PM
1. Collingwood are really bad and lack key position players, they're a fair way off.

2. Moore isn't very good.

3. Macrae has really improved his kicking. I thought he had, now I know he has.

bornadog
16-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Bro it is literally my birthday .

Same day as Libba or you are Libba

EasternWest
16-05-2022, 02:22 PM

Happy Birthday Libba, you old old man.

comrade
16-05-2022, 02:29 PM
1. Collingwood are really bad and lack key position players, they're a fair way off.

2. Moore isn't very good.

3. Macrae has really improved his kicking. I thought he had, now I know he has.

Collingwood are probably one of the teams with a worse structure than us. Combine that with less talented personnel and it’s no surprise we touched them up.

Happy Days
16-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Same day as Libba or you are Libba

Unfortunately not. But wouldn’t that be something?

hujsh
16-05-2022, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately not. But wouldn’t that be something?

I can't think of anything more mind blowing yet at the same time kind of 'not that surprising when you think about it' than Tom posting on a niche Bulldog forum with a Pride flag Aker profile picture.

Dry Rot
18-05-2022, 10:44 PM
1. Sweet is worth persevering with rather than Martin

2. West belongs at this level, brings some grunt and attitude.

3. I have not Kharmis play before. I hope I see him play many more.

Grantysghost
18-05-2022, 10:49 PM
1. Sweet is worth persevering with rather than Martin

2. West belongs at this level, brings some grunt and attitude.

3. I have not Kharmis play before. I hope I see him play many more.

West has serious Clay Smith vibes for me.

Jeanette54
18-05-2022, 11:01 PM
West has serious Clay Smith vibes for me.

Well that alone should get him games. Clay had some serious mongrel about him. I will never forget his contribution to the 2016 Preliminary Final.

whythelongface
19-05-2022, 12:33 AM
Well that alone should get him games. Clay had some serious mongrel about him. I will never forget his contribution to the 2016 Preliminary Final.

One of the all time great performances by a Bulldog player. If West can be half the player Clay was he will turn out a decent player.

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2022, 07:37 AM
I have just completed the WOOF voting tally for the game.

It seems that we have a seriously high bar for Bont when compared to others.

He is such an influential player and when he gets the ball things happen.

Early in the game he got the debutant his first touch in space and it started our first goal to Khamis.

I know his season to date has been below his normal output, but if this is the start of him resuming normal service we can really mount a challenge as we get others back as well.

SquirrelGrip
19-05-2022, 09:12 AM
One of the all time great performances by a Bulldog player. If West can be half the player Clay was he will turn out a decent player.

Yes, I’d be happy for West to kick a couple of goals in the Prelim this year.