PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning

Scraggers
12-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Nine match against Collingwood for our Round Ten match against Gold Coast at Mars on Saturday Morning.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
13-05-2022, 10:52 PM
Bump

josie
14-05-2022, 12:34 AM
In
English
R Smith

Out
Scott or McNeill
McComb

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-05-2022, 12:52 AM
Bevo hinted a few guys very sore, and I'd not be surprised if Gardner and or Naughton in particular might be in some doubt.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2022, 12:59 AM
Naughton's looked really proppy at times, but then gets up the next minute and flies at the ball like a madman. He said after the game it is something has been managing all year.

westbulldog
14-05-2022, 01:25 AM
In English
Out McNeill

Testekill
14-05-2022, 01:29 AM
In

English
R.Smith

Out

McNeil
McComb

azabob
14-05-2022, 08:25 AM
English likely to miss again.

A great opportunity for Sweet to come up against Witts next week.

comrade
14-05-2022, 10:52 AM
When English does return, is there a way to keep Sweet in the side or is he just too one dimensional?

hujsh
14-05-2022, 10:54 AM
When English does return, is there a way to keep Sweet in the side or is he just too one dimensional?

I think it would only work with English playing at least 60% time forward

comrade
14-05-2022, 10:58 AM
I think it would only work with English playing at least 60% time forward

I honestly think you could make an argument that setting up like that would make us a better, more balanced side.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 11:16 AM
I honestly think you could make an argument that setting up like that would make us a better, more balanced side.
I think it is time for Sweet to hang up his boots.

Then he will be able to honestly say to his grandchildren that when he played for the Dogs they had an 80% win rate at a 170% margin.

That generation will be more impressed than the current one is.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 11:22 AM
I think it is time for Sweet to hang up his boots.

Then he will be able to honestly say to his grandchildren that when he played for the Dogs they had an 80% win rate at a 170% margin.

That generation will be more impressed than the current one is.

How would you fit both he and English in the side Danjul?

I thought he was pretty good last night too has a bit of a presence outside his game play.

I think we need to persist with English in the ruck so the question is can Sweet play the forward / ruck role?

azabob
14-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Sweet brings much needed aggression around the ball and will stick up for his teammates.

comrade
14-05-2022, 11:26 AM

I thought he was pretty good last night too has a bit of a presence outside his game play.

I think we need to persist with English in the ruck so the question is can Sweet play the forward / ruck role?

Sweet can’t play the forward/ruck role - would be a complete waste there (no more effective than Cordy). He’s also not as good as a first ruck as Timmy.

But he’s a decent first ruck and Timmy is a massive, massive upgrade on Cordy.

We need to answer the following question:

Is Sweet as #1 and Timmy as forward/ruck better for the team than English as #1 and Cordy as forward/ruck.

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

azabob
14-05-2022, 11:28 AM
English doesn’t want to play forward. That is fairly obvious and was made clear through his management team.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 11:31 AM
English doesn’t want to play forward. That is fairly obvious and was made clear through his management team.

Yes I think that's the issue. Tail wagging the dog?

He doesn't seem like an unreasonable type so I'm sure if Bevo went that way then he wouldn't spit the dummy (Dunks plays a lot forward now for eg).
Guess a good problem to have.

comrade
14-05-2022, 11:32 AM

I understand that, but we don’t have the list to accomodate this request and still be a premiership contender.

You could make an argument that it’s worth giving in to his demand this year to keep him happy so he signs, but we then must pay whatever price it takes to get in a suitable second ruck/forward option over the trade period. Write 2022 off for a tilt over the next 2 years.

It’s what we should have done last year but didn’t and the structure is clearly broken because of it.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 11:33 AM
I understand that, but we don’t have the list to accomodate this request and still be a premiership contender.

You could make an argument that it’s worth giving in to his demand this year to keep him happy so he signs, but we then must pay whatever price it takes to get in a suitable second ruck/forward option over the trade period. Write 2022 off for a tilt over the next 2 years.

It’s what we should have done last year but didn’t and the structure is clearly broken because of it.

I'd like to see more of Sweet at the level first. I mean he was against literally no one last night. I don't even know the guys name.
Witts will be a better indicator considering by all reports he wasn't really faring all that well in the VFL. (hey that rhymes!).

Go_Dogs
14-05-2022, 11:38 AM
If English is in, Sweet is out. But sounds like English is another week off at least so… not a problem for now.

My thoughts are McComb and McNeil on the edges. If Jones or Bedendo have good games today would be tempting to bring one in.

Cleary holds his spot, and Weat moved ahead of McComb on last nights showing.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 11:48 AM

I see Sweet as as second ruck being a significant improvement on Cordy, who’s basically just going through the motions with little real impact on the game. When Sweet is in the ruck those around him display confidence and things happen.

Thinking outside the square should be able to generate a game plan that accomodates both English and Sweet, but egos should not be part of the deliberations. And when Sweet has been given as many games to ‘find his feet’ as Gardner or McNeil got he should be significantly better.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 12:07 PM
Let’s be realistic about English and the ruck.

He has improved a lot recently, thanks to being given every possible opportunity over the last few years. But as recently as late last year he was mauled by Gawn (56 hitouts to 14). English’s strength is around the ground, kicking goals and stopping opposition attacks into their forward line.

Time to think in terms of what makes the team better.

In last night’s game there were times when Sweet made good position ahead of the ball and was completely ignored because he is not part of the fabric of the team. He, and the team (including English), will be better after he has had a run of 10 consecutive games. 12 months between games is a farce.

Happy Days
14-05-2022, 01:44 PM
English is a better ruck than Sweet. Let’s not go crazy because Sweet beat up on Aidan Begg and Darcy Cameron.

G-Mo77
14-05-2022, 02:16 PM
English is a better ruck than Sweet. Let’s not go crazy because Sweet beat up on Aidan Begg and Darcy Cameron.

He's not a #1 ruck either, he's a backup and would fill the role better than a washed up Martin.

G-Mo77
14-05-2022, 02:29 PM
I'd like to see more of Sweet at the level first. I mean he was against literally no one last night. I don't even know the guys name.
Witts will be a better indicator considering by all reports he wasn't really faring all that well in the VFL. (hey that rhymes!).

Witts is one of the best rucks going around nowdays. So a guy who has played a whoping 5 games gets whomped by Witts then he's no good? Is that the theme I'm reading?

Far out.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Witts is one of the best rucks going around nowdays. So a guy who has played a whoping 5 games gets whomped by Witts then he's no good? Is that the theme I'm reading?

Far out.

No I said it would be a better indicator rather than a couple of unknowns, is that a fair comment?

G-Mo77
14-05-2022, 02:44 PM
No I said it would be a better indicator rather than a couple of unknowns, is that a fair comment?

But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups

whythelongface
14-05-2022, 02:56 PM
But again he's played 5 games. Witts will towel him up this week but he'll be better for it long term. Do we pull the rug out from under him like we did after Gawn belted him last year? He moved well around the ground, clogged defence when needed and he has the ability to push forward when needed. Why can't we play English and let Sweet backup? Is our current structure a better option? Cordy? Hannan? Bont? As our backups

Yeah agree. Would like to see them play together. When English rests he can go forward whilst Sweet can go the bench when English is rucking. Not the most efficient use of the bench or our talks but one that could work.

Jeanette54
14-05-2022, 03:16 PM
One of Sweet's big attributes last night was his second efforts after the ruck duel. Channeling his inner Benny Hudson, his big frame planted firmly in the centre melee after a non decisive ruck contest. There were times when he almost willed a Bulldog clearance. And that tap to Bont in the last quarter was a thing of joy.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 03:28 PM
Agreed, but it took English 50 games to be consistently better than Sweet was last night. Let’s give Sweet a fraction of that to show what he is worth.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 03:33 PM

Every time non ruckmen act as second ruck their contribution to the team’s performance has halved. The same thing has happened with Dunkley, Bruce and Schache. That 3 or 4 year experiment has been a failure.

Mofra
14-05-2022, 03:35 PM
It's out of Sweet or Martin for the ruck battle this week.
Sweet doesn't have to be better than Martin to win selection, just be 'nearly as good' because we gain more in the long run.
If I was choosing, Sweet gets another run.

I really want McComb to make it because it's such a good story but his kicking is diabolical at AFL level. I'd take Roarke Smith's 10 touches ahead of Robbie's 20.

hujsh
14-05-2022, 03:38 PM
Agreed, but it took English 50 games to be consistently better than Sweet was last night. Let’s give Sweet a fraction of that to show what he is worth.

While there is an experience gap I feel it's worth mentioning Sweet is the same age as English. Both are now 24. I don't mean to dismiss the idea Sweet could make it at AFL level but I suspect English would be dominating VFL level in a way we've not seen from Sweet if English were in the same circumstances.

That said if Sweet can come good in some role for our club that would be amazing.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 04:06 PM

I wouldn't be against him getting a few games but it appears when Martin is fit he is preferred.

I'm looking forward to his battle with Witts I'm not sure it's going to be that one sided.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Do we really think Cordy gives us more than Sweet?

I should stop bemoaning about this, but if Cordy isn't playing as a defender he simply shouldn't be in the side. He offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

chef
14-05-2022, 08:40 PM

I should stop bemoaning about this, but if Cordy isn't playing as a defender he simply shouldn't be in the side. He offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack. Not a high bar but until Bruce is fit that's all we got I guess.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2022, 08:44 PM
He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack.

But he doesn't. Naughton still gets double teamed most weeks. I'd argue Buku has done more for Naughton in these last two weeks for creating space than what Cordy ever has.

If 'creating a contest' is the only thing keeping Cordy in the side, we're in real trouble.

Find it hard to believe Sweet couldn't provide a similar output as a forward, with far better returns as a ruck.

Danjul
14-05-2022, 11:19 PM
He stops Naughton getting double teamed and drags his defender away. Plus he provides a better contest than Marra/Shaq and at least has crack. Not a high bar but until Bruce is fit that's all we got I guess.

In the 3 games leading up to Friday night Cordy had a total of less than 20 disposals and less than 20 hitouts. Yes that is the total for 3 games. McNeil had 22 disposals in those 3 games and is a certain selection (remember his 30 m shot at goal against Adelaide couldn’t register a behind).

In his last appearance Shache spent half a game on the backline, then moved forward and kicked 2 goals. Reward: got dropped.

Yes, Cordy bounces around but he is a liability in his present role. He has a charmed existence, his bar is not even off the ground while Schache and Sweet (and previously Young) are branded as incompetent without being given any respect for their efforts.

And that’s from someone who likes Cordy.

chef
14-05-2022, 11:39 PM
In the 3 games leading up to Friday night Cordy had a total of less than 20 disposals and less than 20 hitouts. Yes that is the total for 3 games. McNeil had 22 disposals in those 3 games and is a certain selection (remember his 30 m shot at goal against Adelaide couldn’t register a behind).

In his last appearance Shache spent half a game on the backline, then moved forward and kicked 2 goals. Reward: got dropped.

Yes, Cordy bounces around but he is a liability in his present role. He has a charmed existence, his bar is not even off the ground while Schache and Sweet (and previously Young) are branded as incompetent without being given any respect for their efforts.

And that’s from someone who likes Cordy.

Cordy is competing with Shaq and Marra for that 2nd KPF spot, while im no Cordy fan and don't rate him he still offers more as a package than those other two. It's up to them to win Bevo over.

bornadog
14-05-2022, 11:48 PM

When Tim comes back, I would like to see English/Sweet as the ruck combo and if that means Cordy misses out, so be it. Cordy can fight for a spot in the backline.

Grantysghost
14-05-2022, 11:51 PM
I thought Cordy was pretty good last night even used the "knee of Zaine" to take out Noble.

Bullies
15-05-2022, 04:47 AM
But he doesn't. Naughton still gets double teamed most weeks. I'd argue Buku has done more for Naughton in these last two weeks for creating space than what Cordy ever has.

If 'creating a contest' is the only thing keeping Cordy in the side, we're in real trouble.

Find it hard to believe Sweet couldn't provide a similar output as a forward, with far better returns as a ruck. Hannan has played the same role and there has been no issues. He doesn't accumulate a lot of stats either. If Naughton is double tagged with Cordy playing the role then we have someone else who is freed up. Cordy also leaves quite a bit of carnage the way he attacks the ball.

Danjul
15-05-2022, 09:38 AM
Hannan has played the same role and there has been no issues. He doesn't accumulate a lot of stats either. If Naughton is double tagged with Cordy playing the role then we have someone else who is freed up. Cordy also leaves quite a bit of carnage the way he attacks the ball.
Hannan has been a disaster as a ruckman. Using him in the ruck lost the final home and away game last year when we lost by1 point.

Who can forget English running away from a ruck contest in the forward pocket when Hannan nominated. We were 1 point down and hitting the ball through would have given a draw and the double chance in the finals. Hannan simply jumped into the Port ruckman who cleared the ball. Hannan finished the game with 11 disposals and 0 hitouts. The experiment of having any player as second ruck has been an ongoing disaster for years and Cordy is simply continuing the tradition.

Danjul
15-05-2022, 10:06 AM
I thought Cordy was pretty good last night even used the "knee of Zaine" to take out Noble.
Agreed. I like the way Cordy throws himself into the contest. But…

He was playing in the best game we have had this year. The midfielders were on fire, getting the ball into the forward line quickly, all getting the ball 30 or more times. The team was dominant with even more possessions than when they defeated North (+110).

As a forward Cordy wasn’t able to bother the score board. His record so far this year is 2 goals 0 behinds. That’s not good enough. Since when can forwards get away with rarely scoring. Scoring is important. If he is playing as a forward let him do so. The ruck aspect is holding him back.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2022, 10:25 PM
Out McComb in R Smith we need him to do a run with role on Miller.

MrMahatma
16-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Agreed. I like the way Cordy throws himself into the contest. But…

He was playing in the best game we have had this year. The midfielders were on fire, getting the ball into the forward line quickly, all getting the ball 30 or more times. The team was dominant with even more possessions than when they defeated North (+110).

As a forward Cordy wasn’t able to bother the score board. His record so far this year is 2 goals 0 behinds. That’s not good enough. Since when can forwards get away with rarely scoring. Scoring is important. If he is playing as a forward let him do so. The ruck aspect is holding him back.

As long as they look like they try… Schache didn’t try against Port and kicked 2 goals. But it’s not about what you do… it’s about what it looks like, to an outsider, that you’re trying to do. Keep trying to be good, Zaine. Keep kicking it hard into the man on the mark. Keep crashing packs mostly full of team mates. Have a crack. Who cares about the scoreboard

Danjul
16-05-2022, 12:27 AM
As long as they look like they try… Schache didn’t try against Port and kicked 2 goals. But it’s not about what you do… it’s about what it looks like, to an outsider, that you’re trying to do. Keep trying to be good, Zaine. Keep kicking it hard into the man on the mark. Keep crashing packs mostly full of team mates. Have a crack. Who cares about the scoreboard
Thank goodness someone else has seen it. I thought I was going to have to get a new TV that shows what everyone else sees.

jazzadogs
16-05-2022, 12:40 AM
I wonder if English will have the endurance to play as #1 ruck when he returns - if he has been as unwell as Bevo suggests, then I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't able to run out his first couple of games.

So I would be keen to trial a Sweet 60% ruck/bench, English forward/ruck, with Naughton and Khamis as our other KPF and Keath/Gardner as our KPDs.

Sweet played well and hopefully it has given him good confidence.

bornadog
16-05-2022, 08:42 PM
If Naughton is out, who comes in?

If Tim O'Brien is right to go, does Cleary miss?

Should JJ come straight back in?

jazzadogs
16-05-2022, 09:08 PM
If Naughton is out, who comes in?

If Tim O'Brien is right to go, does Cleary miss?

Should JJ come straight back in?

At this point you would almost say Cleary stays in and O'Brien plays forward for a week.

MrMahatma
16-05-2022, 09:13 PM
At this point you would almost say Cleary stays in and O'Brien plays forward for a week.

Like it.

If we had a fit OBrien and JJ in it does make the squad stronger. Even much more so if English is in.

Happy Days
16-05-2022, 10:02 PM

This is a pretty good idea that I hadn’t thought of at all. Good shout.

hujsh
16-05-2022, 11:32 PM

Interesting suggestion. Do we replace Gardner down back or just hope Keath can hold the fort?

jeemak
17-05-2022, 12:46 AM
I'd be gobsmacked if JJ came straight back in.

Mantis
17-05-2022, 08:05 AM
I'd be gobsmacked if JJ came straight back in.

Yep, no footy for 11 weeks makes it hard to make a case for him… but would he do any worse than McComb or McNeil who are battling?

MrMahatma
17-05-2022, 08:58 AM
Yep, no footy for 11 weeks makes it hard to make a case for him… but would he do any worse than McComb or McNeil who are battling?

No, he would not perform worse than McComb. I’d have JJ in so long as there was no heightened risk of injury. He’s been training. He’s a much, much, much better player than the 2 you mention.

azabob
17-05-2022, 09:32 AM
Interesting suggestion. Do we replace Gardner down back or just hope Keath can hold the fort?

Do you think Gardner will miss due to injury or are you dropping him?

Gold Coast have two key forwards we need to look after - Chol and Casbault.

bornadog
17-05-2022, 10:05 AM
No, he would not perform worse than McComb. I’d have JJ in so long as there was no heightened risk of injury. He’s been training. He’s a much, much, much better player than the 2 you mention.

McNeil was worse than McComb with only 3 touches to 3/4 time and finished with 8.

Surely we drop both

Happy Days
17-05-2022, 10:09 AM
I would like to think that both would make way but fully don’t know for who. McComb was actually improving week on week so to see such a poor game on Friday was a bit of a bummer. If I had to pick one to stay I’d say McNeil.

hujsh
17-05-2022, 10:59 AM

I had it in my mind he was injured but I think I was just a bit confused. I think because he came off at one point?

azabob
17-05-2022, 11:01 AM
I had it in my mind he was injured but I think I was just a bit confused. I think because he came off at one point?

Yeah he did come off. Apparently he copped a corkie in the same spot as the previous week, so he could be in some doubt. I didn't know if you'd heard he was a definite out or not.

WBFC4FFC
17-05-2022, 09:41 PM

In 2016 JJ had a long lay-off and if memory serves me correct, he kicked the winner against the Swans up there. Therefore if anyone is capable of playing well after a long lay-off, it is him.

Having said that, I would be surprised if he is named in the side this week.

Bulldog Joe
17-05-2022, 09:46 PM
In 2016 JJ had a long lay-off and if memory serves me correct, he kicked the winner against the Swans up there. Therefore if anyone is capable of playing well after a long lay-off, it is him.

That is a correct recollection.

jeemak
17-05-2022, 09:53 PM

Yeah he did come off. Apparently he copped a corkie in the same spot as the previous week, so he could be in some doubt. I didn't know if you'd heard he was a definite out or not.

Get your shit together you two.

jazzadogs
17-05-2022, 11:55 PM

There's a fair bit of difference between a 23yo with an injury, and a 29yo coming back from a long lay-off. I agree that he should not come straight back in.

jazzadogs
17-05-2022, 11:58 PM

This weekend, assuming Naughton out and English still not ready, I would be playing Keath and Gardner as key backs with Cleary as the 3rd, then Sweet as #1 ruck with Cordy 2nd ruck/forward. Khamis and O'Brien forward.

Rocco Jones
18-05-2022, 12:14 AM
Not a huge fan of McNeil’s but perhaps his inside 50 tackling is why he is in the team. I get it’s easier when you’re not doing much else but he is currently top 20 in the AFL for inside 50 tackles despite missing 3 games.

Dry Rot
18-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Hello Woofers,

I have had a spell on the long term injury list, with losing various parts of my IT including my Mac and my TV and looking after a cancer guy who has got a lot worse, so little time for fun or footy.

But I have seen some games and highlights and taking a glass half full view, how good has Richards been this season? He seems to be getting better each game.

Kharmis has been a good surprise, and what I have seen of English shows real improvement.

I have only read match reports about recent Suns games, but they seem to be a different team this season.

We will be in for a real game this weekend.

azabob
18-05-2022, 11:02 PM
Look after yourself DR. Certainly a tough game this weekend! Hopefully the dogs win and the sun shines in your world!

Dry Rot
18-05-2022, 11:04 PM
Look after yourself DR. Certainly a tough game this weekend! Hopefully the dogs win and the sun shines in your world!

Thanks mate. I was a very happy man after the Pies game!

josie
18-05-2022, 11:11 PM
Hi Dry Roy-Hope your coping ok in what sounds like a tough time for you.

I reckon if we can win most of the next 5 games and Bruce comes back aok all is not lost for this season. English proved me wrong as I had doubts if he could be a decent ruck (we all knew how good he can be around the ground). Khamis has been a great find and I think he is a bit like Naughton with his energy levels which rubs off on the team - just needs to build up endurance. Richards has overtaken Williams in backline, with Williams looking more comfortable on wing last match - hope he kicks a few long range goals to give him a confidence boost.

I’m really hoping JJ and Maclean can give us a real boost too. I’ll always remember how good McLean was in 2016 final series - especially the prelim when I thought he was outstanding. Hoping he has some good luck for a change. West looked good last match too. Being a footy romantic and having enjoyed watching his dad play I hope Rylee has a great career and that it with us.

bornadog
19-05-2022, 01:00 AM
Thanks mate. I was a very happy man after the Pies game!
Good to hear from you DR. Hope you are recovering quickly.

Grantysghost
19-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Hello Woofers,

I have had a spell on the long term injury list, with losing various parts of my IT including my Mac and my TV and looking after a cancer guy who has got a lot worse, so little time for fun or footy.

But I have seen some games and highlights and taking a glass half full view, how good has Richards been this season? He seems to be getting better each game.

Kharmis has been a good surprise, and what I have seen of English shows real improvement.

I have only read match reports about recent Suns games, but they seem to be a different team this season.

We will be in for a real game this weekend.

Good to hear from you DR. All the best mate.

azabob
19-05-2022, 03:50 PM
No press conference for Luke Beveridge today?

DOG GOD
19-05-2022, 03:54 PM
Glad to see you post again Dry Rot. Stay safe and take care.

bornadog
19-05-2022, 04:54 PM
No press conference for Luke Beveridge today?

Maybe tomorrow? Treloar did one today

azabob
19-05-2022, 07:23 PM
ROUND 10 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
Saturday 19 May, 1.45pm AEST
Mars Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tim O’Brien
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Jordon Sweet, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Luke Cleary, Rhylee West, Lachlan McNeil
Emer: Hayden Crozier, Josh Shache, Louis Butler, Roarke Smith

In: Tim O’Brien
Out: Taylor Duryea (illness), Roarke Smith (medi-sub)

Last week’s sub: R.Smith (unused)

hujsh
19-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Hopefully Naughton isn't a late out. Good so far

Grantysghost
19-05-2022, 07:29 PM
Glad West kept his spot.

G-Mo77
19-05-2022, 07:29 PM
I think Duryea has been off for a little while. Maybe he's had this bug going around our club?

azabob
19-05-2022, 07:34 PM
Fairly happy to see the big three boys down back.

G-Mo77
19-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Fairly happy to see the big three boys down back.

Who's the third?

azabob
19-05-2022, 07:48 PM
Who's the third?

Keath, Gardner and O’Brien.

G-Mo77
19-05-2022, 07:50 PM
Keath, Gardner and O’Brien.

Sorry, I was being facetious, just not a fan of TOB.

SquirrelGrip
19-05-2022, 08:15 PM

We haven’t seen them play together yet, so keen to see how they work as one.

azabob
19-05-2022, 08:48 PM

O’Brien has improved each week, he was playing well V port until he got injured.

I’m happy with his progress. We need to remember he was injured pre season and we’ve been pretty poor so it would be hard for him to come in and play well immediately.

Scraggers
19-05-2022, 09:30 PM
I think Doc missing through illness is a loss; he brings poise and good decision making IMO

GVGjr
19-05-2022, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to see how we go against the Suns. I like the balance of our back 6 and If Naughton is good to go I think we can have a dangerous forward line.

azabob
19-05-2022, 10:13 PM
I think Doc missing through illness is a loss; he brings poise and good decision making IMO

Normally yes. The last 2-3 weeks he’s been off his game for whatever reason.

Jeanette54
19-05-2022, 11:03 PM
Am I the only one surprised that Jamara wasn't selected. With Naughton and Khamis that addition would have given us the opportunity to spread their defenders fairly thin.

bornadog
19-05-2022, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one surprised that Jamara wasn't selected. With Naughton and Khamis that addition would have given us the opportunity to spread their defenders fairly thin.

Didn't play very well in the VFL and needs to find some form

MrMahatma
20-05-2022, 12:14 AM

We have Zaine. So… JUH needs to go back to the vfl. Zaine is good for at least 6 touches on the weekend. Maybe -2 on frees.

jazzadogs
20-05-2022, 12:33 AM
We have Zaine. So… JUH needs to go back to the vfl. Zaine is good for at least 6 touches on the weekend. Maybe -2 on frees.

Zaine frustrates me but I don't think he deserves the kicking he gets on here sometimes. He is playing a clear role as 3rd tall/2nd ruck, and it is a role that Jamarra could not manage. He knows the zone, he holds his position and he creates a contest. He is not perfect, but he deserves his current spot in the team while we wait for English and Bruce to return.

JUH is competing for a position with Khamis, and I am comfortable that Buku is getting picked ahead of him at the moment.

Grantysghost
20-05-2022, 12:43 AM
Zaine frustrates me but I don't think he deserves the kicking he gets on here sometimes. He is playing a clear role as 3rd tall/2nd ruck, and it is a role that Jamarra could not manage. He knows the zone, he holds his position and he creates a contest. He is not perfect, but he deserves his current spot in the team while we wait for English and Bruce to return.

JUH is competing for a position with Khamis, and I am comfortable that Buku is getting picked ahead of him at the moment.

Agree Cordy is ok by me. Don't get the hate. He's limited but he truly busts his arse for the side and puts his body on the line every time he has to and has that bit of mongrel we lack.

kruder
20-05-2022, 12:51 AM
Surprised TOB is back after only one week off? Must have been conservative last week. Like the look of the backline I think it can become an area of strength.

jeemak
20-05-2022, 12:58 AM

Usually, but he's been off his food a bit this year from my mind's eye.

Mantis
20-05-2022, 08:18 AM
Looking forward to see how we go against the Suns. I like the balance of our back 6 and If Naughton is good to go I think we can have a dangerous forward line.

Do we even have a forwardline? Naughton is a star, but other than it’s paper thin. Once again we will need our mids to hit the scoreboard.

G-Mo77
20-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Do we even have a forwardline? Naughton is a star, but other than it’s paper thin. Once again we will need our mids to hit the scoreboard.

Who is under an injury cloud

Bulldog4life
20-05-2022, 09:26 AM

I am a fan of all players that wear the red white and blue. Some are better than others but that's life. I like them all.

azabob
20-05-2022, 09:48 AM

Relax Manits...

Buku is on track to kick 9 this week...

1 goal V Port
3 goals V Pies
9 goals V Suns...

ReLoad
20-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Relax Manits...

Buku is on track to kick 9 this week...

1 goal V Port
3 goals V Pies
9 goals V Suns...

Isn't he more of a Fibonacci Buku? so should kick 4?

azabob
20-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Isn't he more of a Fibonacci Buku? so should kick 4?

4 goals or 9 goals, seriously is a win for us either way.

bornadog
20-05-2022, 10:39 AM
4 goals or 9 goals, seriously is a win for us either way.

If he kicks a couple and helps Naughton, then job done

1eyedog
20-05-2022, 11:00 AM

We don't have any forwards except Jamarra, Weightman, Bruce and Bedendo and none of them are playing. We just fill forward positions with versatile players or mids and one superstar who hits the scoreboard through a frenetic ground game or a screamer.

Like we have no natural leading forwards playing at all.

bornadog
20-05-2022, 02:46 PM
JJ also with flu

MrMahatma
20-05-2022, 03:37 PM
JJ also with flu

Seems we're so close to getting blokes back but then bang... this happens. Hopefully it doesn't get many more. We really need to win this match and really need to start getting players back!

G-Mo77
20-05-2022, 04:33 PM
I am a fan of all players that wear the red white and blue. Some are better than others but that's life. I like them all.

Oh it's not like I'll boo him out there B4L.

Of course I hope he'll do well in every game in plays for us.

EasternWest
20-05-2022, 05:04 PM

You can always tell people you were yelling boo-urns anyway.

hujsh
20-05-2022, 05:38 PM
You can always tell people you were yelling boo-urns anyway.

Or Boooku apparently. No idiot would confuse that for booing

bornadog
20-05-2022, 05:52 PM

TOB was highly touted at the Hawks as the next Dermie, and was given his number 23.

Unfortunately he only played an average of 16 games a year, and didn't kick many goals. Switched to the backline as an interceptor and did alot better.

Dry Rot
21-05-2022, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes.

I am OK, and we won my grand final in Round 3 vs the Swans which made me a very happy man.

Looking forward to a good game today.

Bulldog4life
21-05-2022, 01:39 PM

No I know that G-Mo wasn't having a dig at you and don't blame you for getting frustrated at certain players. I always wondered if following the doggies shortens your life span? ;)