PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 11 v West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday Night

Scraggers
12-05-2022, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round Ten match against Gold Coast for our Round Eleven match against West Coast at Optus Stadium in Perth on Saturday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
21-05-2022, 12:51 PM
Bump

hujsh
21-05-2022, 05:35 PM
I was ready to say Sweet performed well enough and Cordy poor enough in the first half to go with the Sweet English pairing.

But that second half I though Sweet went missing and now I'm not sure what we do. Could honestly see it going either way

Testekill
21-05-2022, 05:40 PM
In: English

Out: Cordy

English might struggle following his bout with the flu so I'd rather a competent ruckman as a chop out.

GVGjr
21-05-2022, 05:44 PM

English might struggle following his bout with the flu so I'd rather a competent ruckman as a chop out.

Don't the reports indicate that he will miss another week?

Scraggers
21-05-2022, 05:45 PM

This is what I would do for the exact same reason … but, given the flu or Covid or any other mishaps, I’ll wait until later in the week to make a call.

Scraggers
21-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Bevo said in his presser yesterday that he trained well and would be considered

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Out - Cordy
In - English

But Cordy seems undroppable.

westbulldog
21-05-2022, 07:33 PM
In English
Out Khamis

Dancin' Douggy
21-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Yeah I like Khamis. And I respect Cordy for his relentless commitment and wiles, but they are the two I'd consider dropping though Cordy is actually the perfect injury sub. Khamis is full of great promise but will be very hit and miss week by week (like JUH).
So for me it's in English. Out Cordy but he replaces R. Smith as the sub.

In English
Out Khamis

bornadog
22-05-2022, 01:43 AM
Don't the reports indicate that he will miss another week?

Nah, he will be right for next week. Go home to WA as well and say hello to the folks.

Ins: English, JJ

I have to think about outs

G-Mo77
22-05-2022, 07:52 AM
Cody supposedly is ready to come back as well.

MrMahatma
22-05-2022, 09:14 AM
English, JJ and Cody back makes a big difference.

azabob
22-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Duyrea also could be fit?

Scraggers
22-05-2022, 10:18 AM
Choices … damn it’s good to have choices.

G-Mo77
22-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Choices … damn it’s good to have choices.

I don't know, it's nice, but I'd rather just give them another week off to be honest. Trip to WA against the bottom side. We shouldn't need to rush them back, should we?

Scraggers
22-05-2022, 11:05 AM
I don't know, it's nice, but I'd rather just give them another week off to be honest. Trip to WA against the bottom side. We shouldn't need to rush them back, should we?

We have proven that taking it easy against bottom teams gets us a loss. Just look at the Adelaide result and team selection. We need to keep our foot on the throat (and it’s against the Eagles which gives me bragging rights)

DOG GOD
22-05-2022, 11:40 AM
Knowing our luck, WC will welcome back 5-6 of their best players ;) including Nic Nat. What’s his situation ?

bornadog
22-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Knowing our luck, WC will welcome back 5-6 of their best players ;) including Nic Nat. What’s his situation ?

Nic Nat 8 weeks, LIam Ryan 3 weeks. The only maybes are Oscar Allen and Gaff

DOG GOD
22-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Good news for us.
I think Gaff and Shuey are back today.

angelopetraglia
22-05-2022, 12:09 PM
Bevo said in the presser. Cody and Duryea will be available. Sounds like they will be automatic selections. JJ he said will need another week due to illness.

So we could potentially have three ins. English, Duryea and Cody. Who goes out? Sweet? Khamis? McNeil? West? McComb?

DOG GOD
22-05-2022, 12:36 PM
Bevo said in the presser. Cody and Duryea will be available. Sounds like they will be automatic selections. JJ he said will need another week due to illness.

So we could potentially have three ins. English, Duryea and Cody. Who goes out? Sweet? Khamis? McNeil? West? McComb?
If English, Weightman and Dureya return then Sweet, West and Cleary will go out.

angelopetraglia
22-05-2022, 12:38 PM
If English, Weightman and Dureya return then Sweet, West and Cleary will go out.

Yes. Good point on Cleary, albeit he has had two solid games. However he did make a few errors that someone like Duryea would not (i.e. in the last quarter that tap when he should have agressively spoiled or taken the market that resulted in a goal).

Bulldog Joe
22-05-2022, 12:56 PM
We do need to be really assertive both with team selection and performance as we really need to get in the positive win/loss and improve percentage.

Ibcluding round 12 we play 6 of the current top 8 in in the following 8 games.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2022, 12:57 PM
Yes. Good point on Cleary, albeit he has had two solid games. However he did make a few errors that someone like Duryea would not (i.e. in the last quarter that tap when he should have agressively spoiled or taken the market that resulted in a goal).

Yes I was surprised Cleary didn't take that mark too. Solid game from him though. Big future. But Doc to replace him.

bornadog
22-05-2022, 01:56 PM
Yes I was surprised Cleary didn't take that mark too. Solid game from him though. Big future. But Doc to replace him.

I was at the game and had a direct view of that. It was a difficult mark to take, in fact no way he could, so he stretched out and slapped it forward, but unfortunately none of our defenders pounced on it.

MrMahatma
22-05-2022, 02:08 PM

I’d love him to stay in somehow, but not sure how.

Out: McNeil, Sweet, Cleary
In: Cody, English, Doc

bornadog
22-05-2022, 02:20 PM

i thought McNeil played his best game. Should have nailed 4 goals instead of 2.2

Bulldog4life
22-05-2022, 02:45 PM
I was at the game and had a direct view of that. It was a difficult mark to take, in fact no way he could, so he stretched out and slapped it forward, but unfortunately none of our defenders pounced on it.

Thanks BAD. Hard to tell on tv. Perhaps a fist rather than the slap he did would have been better. But he has a bright future with us.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2022, 02:46 PM

Perhaps as sub?

Bulldog4life
22-05-2022, 02:47 PM
i thought McNeil played his best game. Should have nailed 4 goals instead of 2.2

Yep impressed with his tackling too.

azabob
22-05-2022, 02:53 PM

My beef with McNeil is he misses relative easy goals. It is a real problem and stopping him cementing his place in the 22. Hopefully he can get over this; maybe seek out someone at the club to help with his mindset, routine whatever.

GVGjr
22-05-2022, 04:42 PM
My beef with McNeil is he misses relative easy goals. It is a real problem and stopping him cementing his place in the 22. Hopefully he can get over this; maybe seek out someone at the club to help with his mindset, routine whatever.

He's not on his Robinson Crusoe though but I agree it's going to be the difference between being a regular and more of a spare parts player for him.

Scraggers
22-05-2022, 04:49 PM

I heard Oscar Allen is out for the year.

Scraggers
22-05-2022, 04:50 PM

http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/young-eagles-star-oscar-allen-ruled-out-for-season-as-west-coast-add-two-to-inactive-list-c-6871067.amp

Confirmed

GVGjr
22-05-2022, 05:26 PM

They are going to start sending players off for the operations and add a couple more in the mid season draft.

jeemak
22-05-2022, 06:15 PM
He's not on his Robinson Crusoe though but I agree it's going to be the difference between being a regular and more of a spare parts player for him.

And he's definitely not playing the role of Pat Malone either! ;)

bornadog
22-05-2022, 06:19 PM

The point is at least he is getting the ball and having shots. Just because he missed the goals, you don't drop him.

Hopefully he finds some composure with ball in hand. As B4L said he also had 7 tackles

Rocco Jones
22-05-2022, 07:11 PM
McNeill is 15th in the league for inside 50 tackles despite missing the first 3 games.

GVGjr
22-05-2022, 07:15 PM
McNeill is 15th in the league for inside 50 tackles despite missing the first 3 games.

That's one of his best attributes. If he can improve his goal kicking accuracy he will be a very handy player for us.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2022, 07:19 PM
That's one of his best attributes. If he can improve his goal kicking accuracy he will be a very handy player for us.

I normally cringe a bit about making too much of a micro stat but he is elite at it. Argument against is it's easier when you're not doing much else.

MrMahatma
22-05-2022, 07:20 PM
So McNeil stays in and West out?

Given where some of the players are coming back into the team, some guys are gonna miss who have prob been playing ok. We’re still carrying a few.

I prob have McNeil blinkers on. I see the misses and get annoyed. His goal from the boundary was a ripper then he misses a couple sitters, and I think even one OOBOTF?

I get “at least he’s getting shots” but also, you need to kick goals.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2022, 07:26 PM
Selection wise.

Eagles are struggling obviously and particularly weak in the ruck. Whether we go Zaine or Sweet shouldn't hurt us too much. Zaine is a safer bet to not being a total disaster but I would like us to go with Sweet. Not taking the opposition for granted but it's so close anyway, I would like us to take the opportunity to see Sweet again.

Doc and Cody seem like ins judging by Bevo.

In: English, Doc, Cody
Out: Zaine, Cleary, McComb (thought he was actually alright)

jeemak
22-05-2022, 08:42 PM
If McNeil kicks two goals you can't drop him for missing a couple, especially when he lays seven tackles as a pressure player.

Unfortunately I think it'll be West who makes way for Cody, and that's a real shame because he has been having a crack and putting some good football together. They could look at Scott and McComb, but the latter kicked a couple and the former is a bit more versatile.

What I would do however, is give Libba a bit of a rest by having him miss this week and play against the Cats, have the bye, and come back well and truly rested for the back end of the season. This would enable West to keep his spot which I think he deserves to do.

Grantysghost
22-05-2022, 09:13 PM
If McNeil kicks two goals you can't drop him for missing a couple, especially when he lays seven tackles as a pressure player.

Unfortunately I think it'll be West who makes way for Cody, and that's a real shame because he has been having a crack and putting some good football together. They could look at Scott and McComb, but the latter kicked a couple and the former is a bit more versatile.

What I would do however, is give Libba a bit of a rest by having him miss this week and play against the Cats, have the bye, and come back well and truly rested for the back end of the season. This would enable West to keep his spot which I think he deserves to do.

We can't drop West. McComb for me. West has vision like his Dad which is a rare trait.
That 20 metre handball was sublime the other day, not many can do it.
West long term > McComb.

Danjul
22-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Selection wise.

Eagles are struggling obviously and particularly weak in the ruck. Whether we go Zaine or Sweet shouldn't hurt us too much. Zaine is a safer bet to not being a total disaster but I would like us to go with Sweet. Not taking the opposition for granted but it's so close anyway, I would like us to take the opportunity to see Sweet again.

Doc and Cody seem like ins judging by Bevo.

In: English, Doc, Cody
Out: Zaine, Cleary, McComb (thought he was actually alright)
In my opinion Cordy is totally out of form since getting the second ruck and forward role. He is mucking up things he did well in the past. He had the same game time as Sweet and contributed far less. Sweet had 6 tackles to Cordy ’s 3 so even Cordy’s pressure game is off. Sweet handled Witts well, didn’t win but I read on woof that Witts is one of the best ruckmen this season.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-05-2022, 10:18 PM
We need a percentage boost, 9.7% behind Swans and Tigers, 10% behind Cats.Wins may not be enough.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2022, 10:13 AM
We need a percentage boost, 9.7% behind Swans and Tigers, 10% behind Cats.Wins may not be enough.

If we start kicking a bit straighter it would help.

Let’s just focus on the wins for now, we need to keep winning and give ourselves a chance. Our % is relatively OK for where bottom part of the 8 teams usually land, it’s actually a bit odd how the % are looking but I suppose drubbings of North, Eagles, Essendon are helping sides out. Our turn to feast this week.

Sounds like some great ins for us.

West - I would keep in, just beginning to find his feet and did some great work by hands in tight in the bits and pieces I saw. He’s a more reliable user than McComb and has a higher ceiling. Cody in, McComb out.

If English is right, it means Sweet will miss. English will play #1 ruck and Sweet can’t yet play minutes elsewhere. We are hell bent on Cordy being that utility for us, he’s never going to be a star, but is our current man for this role. English in, Sweet out.

Cleary has had a good taste, has a future, but 2022 is not his year. Duryea in, Cleary out.

bornadog
23-05-2022, 04:21 PM
Tim English (Illness), Jason Johannisen (Calf), Cody Weightman (Collarbone), Taylor Duryea (Illness), Mitch Wallis (Foot): all a test

If they are fit to play, who comes in?

1eyedog
23-05-2022, 04:53 PM
English and Duryea. JJ has missed too much footy and needs a run in the VFL and I'd give Cody one more week of rest to be sure that shoulder is as healed as it can be.

comrade
23-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Definite ins:

English in for Cordy (won’t happen but I can dream)
Weightman in for McComb

Potential in:
Duryea in for Scott or Cleary (Doc hasn’t lit the world on fire this year and I like what Cleary brings so I’d let Doc come back through VFL)

Nope:
Wallis and JJ need to come back through the VFL.

I hope we persist with West and Sweet but I know at least 1 of the 2 will be dropped.

Mantis
23-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Definite ins:

Weightman in for McComb

Potential in:
Duryea in for Scott or Cleary (Doc hasn’t lit the world on fire this year and I like what Cleary brings so I’d let Doc come back through VFL)

Nope:
Wallis and JJ need to come back through the VFL.

I hope we persist with West and Sweet but I know at least 1 of the 2 will be dropped.

Given English has missed lots of footy maybe we play him more as a forward this week which allows Sweet to have another run as the no.1 ruck.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2022, 06:43 PM
Given English has missed lots of footy maybe we play him more as a forward this week which allows Sweet to have another run as the no.1 ruck.

Zero chance.

I get the need to keep playing Sweet, but other than the actual ruck contest, he doesn’t do much and English was by FAR our best player, performing very well in the #1 ruck role, so if he’s right he’s straight back in, otherwise he can recover another week. I know Cordy is in the same boat in many posters eyes, but he’s playing a different role.

Grantysghost
23-05-2022, 06:48 PM
Zero chance.

I get the need to keep playing Sweet, but other than the actual ruck contest, he doesn’t do much and English was by FAR our best player, performing very well in the #1 ruck role, so if he’s right he’s straight back in, otherwise he can recover another week. I know Cordy is in the same boat in many posters eyes, but he’s playing a different role.

Agree there's 0 chance English plays and Sweet is the #1 ruck.

English is back in then Sweet has to play the Cordy role.

If I had to guess, the MC will stick with Zaine.

dog town
24-05-2022, 05:26 AM
Given English has missed lots of footy maybe we play him more as a forward this week which allows Sweet to have another run as the no.1 ruck. I would play him forward every week but bevo basically put this on the agenda before the season started. English has made it clear he wants more ruck time or he will look somewhere else, agree it is bonkers if he doesn’t play forward this week though for a number of reasons

GVGjr
24-05-2022, 08:31 AM
I would play him forward every week but bevo basically put this on the agenda before the season started. English has made it clear he wants more ruck time or he will look somewhere else, agree it is bonkers if he doesn’t play forward this week though for a number of reasons

I think Mantis suggestion is just for one week and because English has missed some football. I couldn't see English getting that upset by it.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2022, 05:07 PM
I think Mantis suggestion is just for one week and because English has missed some football. I couldn't see English getting that upset by it.

Yeah what we do with first ruck this week and what we do for the rest of the season are very different things. English hasn't played for 5 weeks. Gives us a bit more of a look at Sweet.

FrediKanoute
24-05-2022, 10:54 PM
If we start kicking a bit straighter it would help.

Let’s just focus on the wins for now, we need to keep winning and give ourselves a chance. Our % is relatively OK for where bottom part of the 8 teams usually land, it’s actually a bit odd how the % are looking but I suppose drubbings of North, Eagles, Essendon are helping sides out. Our turn to feast this week.

Sounds like some great ins for us.

West - I would keep in, just beginning to find his feet and did some great work by hands in tight in the bits and pieces I saw. He’s a more reliable user than McComb and has a higher ceiling. Cody in, McComb out.

If English is right, it means Sweet will miss. English will play #1 ruck and Sweet can’t yet play minutes elsewhere. We are hell bent on Cordy being that utility for us, he’s never going to be a star, but is our current man for this role. English in, Sweet out.

Cleary has had a good taste, has a future, but 2022 is not his year. Duryea in, Cleary out.

Agree with all this. Might be tempted to give Sweet another crack with English, deserves it.

FrediKanoute
24-05-2022, 10:55 PM

Like the suggestion and agree it shouldn't make a difference for a week. What if though it works and works really well. What do we do then? The problem is not the tactic, but with one guy not wanting to be part of the tactic.

MrMahatma
24-05-2022, 11:10 PM
Like the suggestion and agree it shouldn't make a difference for a week. What if though it works and works really well. What do we do then? The problem is not the tactic, but with one guy not wanting to be part of the tactic.

It would prob only work well cause WC suck though. Sweet isn’t our best #1 ruck when against the majority of the AFL.

merantau
25-05-2022, 08:10 AM
With 12 games to go we play 7 teams above us on the ladder. In order to notch 13 wins we need to win 8 of these games. We need to nail our selections each week. There's not a lot of wriggle room this season.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 11:22 AM
Listening to Bevo this morning I'd guess :

In : English, Weightman, Duryea
Out: Cordy, McComb, Cleary

mjp
25-05-2022, 11:32 AM
With 12 games to go we play 7 teams above us on the ladder. In order to notch 13 wins we need to win 8 of these games. We need to nail our selections each week. There's not a lot of wriggle room this season.

That's prob true but I'm a simple man. Just like whenever we are behind I like to think not in terms of how many goals (total) we need to win but rather just that we need the 'next' goal, all I think we need to do right now is beat West Coast.

Worrying about things beyond that is pure folly.

Danjul
25-05-2022, 11:42 AM
It would prob only work well cause WC suck though. Sweet isn’t our best #1 ruck when against the majority of the AFL.
Having played only 7 games how can we say what he can do. All we know is that when he plays the team wins bigly.

I agree that Gawn could beat him. But Gawn would probably beat Cordy.

azabob
25-05-2022, 11:58 AM

I haven't heard his press conference.

Any reasons given?

Vred
25-05-2022, 01:00 PM
Libba possibly managed this week.

MrMahatma
25-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Having played only 7 games how can we say what he can do. All we know is that when he plays the team wins bigly.

I agree that Gawn could beat him. But Gawn would probably beat Cordy.

Gawn would not "probably" beat Cordy.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 01:20 PM
I haven't heard his press conference.

Any reasons given?

Weightman was ready last week they had to hold him back.

Mentioned Tim and Sweet had never played together before and something had to give for that to happen.

Duryea is ready and he mentioned how well Cleary has done which felt like a nice hug before the drop.

Mantis
25-05-2022, 01:43 PM

Mentioned Tim and Sweet had never played together before and something had to give for that to happen.

Duryea is ready and he mentioned how well Cleary has done which felt like a nice hug before the drop.

I'm intrigued by this comment.. wonder what he means by something had to give.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 01:47 PM

Yes I wondered too.

Maybe around structure / roles? Had to change something we normally do?

Maybe Tim goes forward/ruck

Maybe he doesn't think Sweet as a Cordy replacement works as many have said here.

bornadog
25-05-2022, 01:49 PM
Maybe he doesn't think Sweet as a Cordy replacement works as many have said here.

Maybe this is the ideal game to try the two and drop Cordy

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 01:56 PM
Maybe this is the ideal game to try the two and drop Cordy

I'd be ok with it.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2022, 02:21 PM

Listening to Bevo now. He went onto say Sweet/English would both have to play a bit forward too, so probably a bit more of a shared role rather than R1 and R2 who relieves and manly plays forward. I think the thing that would give is Zaine going out, which I hope wouldn't upset you too much.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2022, 02:23 PM

Hahah, definitely felt the same way to me.

Mantis
25-05-2022, 02:26 PM
Listening to Bevo now. He went onto say Sweet/English would both have to play a bit forward too, so probably a bit more of a shared role rather than R1 and R2 who relieves and manly plays forward. I think the thing that would give is Zaine going out, which I hope wouldn't upset you too much.

I think I'll survive.

Agree that English & Sweet would have to share the ruck role because Sweet battles to have an impact when up forward... well at least that's the case at the lower level. I'd be comfortable to run with this strategy (English & Sweet sharing ruck duties) for the next 2 games and then re-access after the bye.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2022, 02:34 PM
I think I'll survive.

Agree that English & Sweet would have to share the ruck role because Sweet battles to have an impact when up forward... well at least that's the case at the lower level. I'd be comfortable to run with this strategy (English & Sweet sharing ruck duties) for the next 2 games and then re-access after the bye.

Yeah I'd have thought Sweet would play vast majority of his time on ground as ruck as I didn't really think of the option of spending much time up forward. Bevo seems a bit more open to it than I thought but maybe it's all about English getting conditioning back.

We have a bit of an opportunity with 3 of our next 4 games against sides with either poor rucks and/or not very physical/dominating types.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-05-2022, 04:35 PM
Tim to play out west great.
I like the idea of Sweet mainly rucking and Tim mainly forward adding to our marking and kicking power up forward, what gives?

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 04:47 PM
Tim to play out west great.
I like the idea of Sweet mainly rucking and Tim mainly forward adding to our marking and kicking power up forward, what gives?

There is a prevailing mindset that Tim indicated he wants to be first ruck.

So if he's fit, it might be a bit of an issue if Sweet is chosen in that role before he is.

So that leaves Sweet as the Cordy ruck forward and we don't know if he's capable.

G-Mo77
25-05-2022, 04:52 PM
There is a prevailing mindset that Tim indicated he wants to be first ruck.

So if he's fit, it might be a bit of an issue if Sweet is chosen in that role before he is.

So that leaves Sweet as the Cordy ruck forward and we don't know if he's capable.

Yeah, that story came out in a press conference last season. Bevo said something along the lines if we don't play him ruck we'll lose him to another club? It really didn't sit well with me then and really doesn't sit well now. If what is best for the team is English playing Fwd/Ruck then that is what it should be. I always felt we looked the most dangerous when we had Naughton, Bruce and English up forward. Didn't happen often but we looked great when it we did it. It would certainly help Naughton out a lot having a competent Fwd beside him and wouldn't hurt to ease Tim into the team.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 04:55 PM
Yeah, that story came out in a press conference last season. Bevo said something along the lines if we don't play him ruck we'll lose him to another club? It really didn't sit well with me then and really doesn't sit well now. If what is best for the team is English playing Fwd/Ruck then that is what it should be. I always felt we looked the most dangerous when we had Naughton, Bruce and English up forward. Didn't happen often but we looked great when it we did it. It would certainly help Naughton out a lot having a competent Fwd beside him and wouldn't hurt to ease Tim into the team.

Have to say I completely agree.

Sweet first ruck, Tim forward seems so dangerous.

bornadog
25-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Have to say I completely agree.

Sweet first ruck, Tim forward seems so dangerous.

But, first ruck is not just hitouts. You have to be able to take marks around the ground, drop into a hole in defence or run forward and maybe kick a goal.

Tim is averaging something like 20 plus disposals a game and 7/8 marks, including 22 hitouts, he is more dangerous as first ruck.

Sweet can't do that, at this stage.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 05:29 PM
But, first ruck is not just hitouts. You have to be able to take marks around the ground, drop into a hole in defence or run forward and maybe kick a goal.

Tim is averaging something like 20 plus disposals a game and 7/8 marks, including 22 hitouts, he is more dangerous as first ruck.

Sweet can't do that, at this stage.

What do you think will happen BAD? Reading between the lines with Bevo; they're both playing.

angelopetraglia
25-05-2022, 05:55 PM
Listened to the presser. Definitely consistent with others on this thread that I believe he intends to play Sweet and English together this week. Duryea in for Clearly also sounds like a lock. Cody will also play. So a miniumum of three changes by the sounds of it.

bornadog
25-05-2022, 06:04 PM
What do you think will happen BAD? Reading between the lines with Bevo; they're both playing.

They will both play and as Mantis said, maybe English spends more time forward until he gets match fitness.

A great opportunity for Sweet to prove himself, and keep Cordy out.

Danjul
25-05-2022, 06:50 PM

Sweet can't do that, at this stage.Last year English got over 15 disposals 6times and got over 20 hitouts 5 times. This year, after er about 60 games, he is doing what you said.

The problem for the club is while he was allowed to develop in the firsts Sweet was left to rot.

Against Collingwood Sweet’s figures were typical English pre 50 games.

Last year McNeil was given 11 games for 7 goals. I think the ruck needs at least that type of commitment.

azabob
25-05-2022, 07:18 PM
They will both play and as Mantis said, maybe English spends more time forward until he gets match fitness.

A great opportunity for Sweet to prove himself, and keep Cordy out.

Why are we assuming Cordy is out?

Could be Naughton or Buku.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-05-2022, 07:25 PM
Give Tim licence to roam from CHF, Sweet covering more back.

Grantysghost
25-05-2022, 07:25 PM
Why are we assuming Cordy is out?

Could be Naughton or Buku.

Agree could be Buku, but he and Naughton aren't generally involved in the ruck rotations.

hujsh
25-05-2022, 08:05 PM
Last year English got over 15 disposals 6times and got over 20 hitouts 5 times. This year, after er about 60 games, he is doing what you said.

The problem for the club is while he was allowed to develop in the firsts Sweet was left to rot.

Against Collingwood Sweet’s figures were typical English pre 50 games.

Last year McNeil was given 11 games for 7 goals. I think the ruck needs at least that type of commitment.

2 problems here.

1. Apparently we're somehow meant to carry 2 rucks in the side for the sake of development. 1 developing ruck might make sense but 2 in a contending side it a bit much.

2. It's common for players (especially tall players) to develop in the VFL until they're ready to impact at AFL level. Sweet was poor at VFL level last year. He wasn't "left to rot", he obviously had things to work on in his game since he clearly wasn't at the point where he was 'too good' for VFL football. As is the case with Jamarra if a developing player isn't in good form it's fine to let them find it at a lower level.

IMO Sweet got the right amount of experience last year. A run of games to expose him to AFL level but also make the areas he needs to improve more clear.

jazzadogs
25-05-2022, 09:14 PM
Given the narrative around English's illness, hospital admission, extended recovery - I can't see him coming back and hitting the same numbers as his start to the year. I think it makes a lot of sense to split with Sweet 50/50 at least, and I would like Sweet doing even 60-70% of the ruckwork.

GVGjr
25-05-2022, 09:34 PM
I think it's a common sense move to pair up both Sweet and English for this round just to ease Tim back into it.

Danjul
25-05-2022, 10:45 PM
2 problems here.

1. Apparently we're somehow meant to carry 2 rucks in the side for the sake of development. 1 developing ruck might make sense but 2 in a contending side it a bit much.

2. It's common for players (especially tall players) to develop in the VFL until they're ready to impact at AFL level. Sweet was poor at VFL level last year. He wasn't "left to rot", he obviously had things to work on in his game since he clearly wasn't at the point where he was 'too good' for VFL football. As is the case with Jamarra if a developing player isn't in good form it's fine to let them find it at a lower level.

IMO Sweet got the right amount of experience last year. A run of games to expose him to AFL level but also make the areas he needs to improve more clear.

The problem isn’t carrying two rucks or developing 2 rucks.

The problem is not being able to cover the ruck role when we need to in a game, because when things go bad they go very bad.

For example, round 22 last year. English got 10 hitouts and the team finished with 15. Hawthorn, I think close to bottom of the ladder, had 55 to 15.

We were destroyed in the ruck. And we had no options for rearranging our strengths. That was a significant factor in the Hawks maintaining momentum and We lost the game, badly. All we needed to save the double chance was 6 goals instead of 5. Couldn’t do it. The previous game against Essendon was a disaster. They got 6 goals 3 from ruck clearances (AFL website and pissed off supporters).

We never have a sensible plan B for the ruck.

Giving Sweet more game time might have had multiple benefits. What return would we need from him? Looking at our history of using Dunkley, Hannan, etc in the ruck the answer is not much. We even experimented with having no one as the second ruck.

Jamara had 10 AFL games for 60 disposals. McNeil got 11 games for 7 goals last year. Not bad but his early games didn’t justify selection. Yet where we were desperate for something to make us consistently competitive Sweet got 4 consecutive games. (3 good and 1 bad)

And we have been desperate for a few years. And as I see it we are carrying Cordy this season. His typical return has been 7 disposals and 7 hitouts for a full game. He has 2 goals as his season’s contribution as a ruck/forward. I can’t see Sweet having less impact as a forward.

Mofra
25-05-2022, 10:54 PM
I think it's a common sense move to pair up both Sweet and English for this round just to ease Tim back into it.
I agree, see how it works. If Sweet offers anything up forward at all (which includes getting the hell out of Naughton's way and/or subtlety belting whichever backman goes to double-team Naughts) I'd even consider extending that experiment for a few weeks.

hujsh
25-05-2022, 11:18 PM
The problem isn’t carrying two rucks or developing 2 rucks.

The problem is not being able to cover the ruck role when we need to in a game, because when things go bad they go very bad.

For example, round 22 last year. English got 10 hitouts and the team finished with 15. Hawthorn, I think close to bottom of the ladder, had 55 to 15.

We were destroyed in the ruck. And we had no options for rearranging our strengths. That was a significant factor in the Hawks maintaining momentum and We lost the game, badly. All we needed to save the double chance was 6 goals instead of 5. Couldn’t do it. The previous game against Essendon was a disaster. They got 6 goals 3 from ruck clearances (AFL website and pissed off supporters).

We never have a sensible plan B for the ruck.

Giving Sweet more game time might have had multiple benefits. What return would we need from him? Looking at our history of using Dunkley, Hannan, etc in the ruck the answer is not much. We even experimented with having no one as the second ruck.

Jamara had 10 AFL games for 60 disposals. McNeil got 11 games for 7 goals last year. Not bad but his early games didn’t justify selection. Yet where we were desperate for something to make us consistently competitive Sweet got 4 consecutive games. (3 good and 1 bad)

And we have been desperate for a few years. And as I see it we are carrying Cordy this season. His typical return has been 7 disposals and 7 hitouts for a full game. He has 2 goals as his season’s contribution as a ruck/forward. I can’t see Sweet having less impact as a forward.

The problem has always been that once 3rd man up came in and Roughead started breaking down (and Boyd) we needed a mature ruckman to carry the load for 2-4 years while English and Sweet developed their craft. Since then we've basically been waiting for English to come good (with the exception of Martin's recruitment and the Trengrove experiment).

You can run with the hypothetical that if Sweet had be playing we'd be in a better position now but TBH given his performance at all levels of the game I'm not convinced it would have made a huge difference. It's just as possible throwing him to the wolves wouldn't have helped him because he wasn't ready. Hell I doubt English has really needed all the smackings he copped over the last few years.

Sweet has had his taste last year. I hope it translates into strong development this year. I don't think we should (or should have) gift him games just because you think we did so with McNeil (who is a terrible comparison because he plays a niche role as a pressure forward which he actually generally does well despite the goal and disposal numbers I'm sure you'll tell us all about now or later in a different context)

Ultimately our second ruck in game should be Bruce. Unfortunately no one on the list really fills the forward-pinch-hitting-as-a-ruckman role for us the same way he did. Should we have had someone developing in that role for the longer term? Yes that would make sense. Should it have been Sweet? Nah, don't see it personally. Who knows maybe it's Darcy.

PS I'm not opposed to Sweet playing this or in future weeks. I hope he does well because if he can work in tandem with English it's a huge problem solved.

azabob
26-05-2022, 09:53 AM
Reports last night that Bailey Smith didn’t train yesterday due to illness.

bornadog
26-05-2022, 10:21 AM

I know how he feels

SquirrelGrip
26-05-2022, 10:25 AM

Yes, poor thing must have caught a dreadful cold... Like my nanna used to say, if he'd just worn a singlet underneath, he'd keep warm in winter.

https://i.postimg.cc/g27MS4Rp/City-Road-Digi-scaled.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k2xFDQfY)

Bulldog4life
26-05-2022, 10:31 AM
We know Sweety can ruck it is what he does when he is not rucking. Anyway I hope he plays and if he can kick a couple of goals when not rucking that's the key for his future.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2022, 10:32 AM

Bugger it.

Axe Man
26-05-2022, 10:43 AM
I know how he feels

You didn't train either? The question is what didn't you train for?

bornadog
26-05-2022, 10:45 AM
You didn't train either? The question is what didn't you train for?

Going to the supermarket :D:D

bornadog
26-05-2022, 10:50 AM
We know Sweety can ruck it is what he does when he is not rucking. Anyway I hope he plays and if he can kick a couple of goals when not rucking that's the key for his future.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTlgwyJaAAAsfFl?format=jpg&name=large

MrMahatma
26-05-2022, 11:31 AM

Ads getting way too much rope.

And free kick Libba!

Mantis
26-05-2022, 11:33 AM

What's the relevance of the photo to the statement?

bornadog
26-05-2022, 11:36 AM
What's the relevance of the photo to the statement?

Just a pic of ruck practice? Is there a problem?

Grantysghost
26-05-2022, 12:02 PM
Ads getting way too much rope.

And free kick Libba!

Interestingly Marra is in there with what looks like the senior group. I see ZAINE!

OBrien on Weightman is interesting, taking a small.

Mantis
26-05-2022, 12:12 PM

I didn't think it added anything to the conversation which was the concern about how Sweet can impact the game as a forward, but maybe that's on me.

ratsmac
26-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Good to see McLean involved.

jeemak
26-05-2022, 01:58 PM

You've been repeatedly warned about posting pictures of ruck practice.

Axe Man
26-05-2022, 04:20 PM
A return of familiar faces for Perth clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1135281/a-return-of-familiar-faces-for-perth-clash?fbclid=IwAR3q2_SNou-wCbVn79UkEL1xruUKIglria-bshivFtoVY-X0RLPll8v-EhY)

Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has given every indication that a host of players will return for Saturday night’s clash against West Coast in Perth.

After falling ill, both Tim English and Taylor Duryea are in line to feature against the Eagles.

“Tim should come in,” Beveridge said.

“He has had a couple of really strong sessions since he’s been back on his feet. Today’s a main session; I imagine he will get through unscathed and will be picked.”

“Taylor will be considered as well. We’ve had some change through that backline – Luke Cleary has had a couple of games which has been terrific to be able to debut another young fella.”

Cody Weightman is also set to be available for selection, with the livewire forward recovering from a broken collarbone a fortnight ago.

“Yeah, he wanted to play last week, Cody,” he said.

“He wanted to take Lin Jong’s example from a few years ago. We have held him back a little bit – I think he will get thought today – we will consider him.”

A rare bout of persistent rain in Perth won’t stop the Bulldogs preparations, adding another element to an intriguing contest.

“When you get there, you assess the conditions and how it might impact,” he said.

“It definitely affects some of your messaging before the game and the main phases of the game.”

Despite suffering a spade of injuries over the past month, the Bulldogs will have some selection issues after some good form across the side.

“That second ruck consideration is a critical one for us this week,” Beveridge said.

“Sweety and Tim have never played in the same AFL team together. This week could be the first time that happens. If that happens something else will have to give.”

“We’ll have 38 training today and they’re good numbers in comparison to the last month. So that’s a good sign for us, but that’s now – hopefully we can sustain it."

azabob
26-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Mitch Cleary reporting

Bailey Smith will miss the trip to Perth with illness.

Weightman, English, Duryea return.
Luke Cleary / Zaine Cordy dropped

azabob
26-05-2022, 07:20 PM
ROUND 11 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles
Saturday 28 May, 7.30pm AEST
Optus Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tim O’Brien
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Lachlan McNeil, Buku Khamis, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea
Emer: Josh Schache, Arthur Jones, Dom Bedendo, Luke Cleary

In: Cody Weightman, Tim English, Taylor Duryea
Out: Bailey Smith (illness), Zaine Cordy (omitted), Luke Cleary (omitted), Roarke Smith (medi-sub)

Hotdog60
26-05-2022, 07:25 PM
Roarke is interesting one isn't that 3 weeks now without playing a game. He'll be losing match fitness.

bornadog
26-05-2022, 07:26 PM
Finally Cordy dropped

DOG GOD
26-05-2022, 07:35 PM
Great…Kennedy named.

DOG GOD
26-05-2022, 07:36 PM
Finally Cordy dropped
Never thought that would happen

angelopetraglia
26-05-2022, 07:42 PM
Kennedy in for them. Gee whiz he loves playing us. He has been off for a couple so hopefully he is rusty. Bailey Smith is a massive out for us with the form he is in. Others will need to step up to fill that void. English, Duryea and Cody are all good ins.

Grantysghost
26-05-2022, 08:11 PM

I was close im claiming it anyway.

Smith doesn't count!

macca
26-05-2022, 08:20 PM
Zaine very stiff, he was played out of position last week.

His a casualty of having fit players back.

Good problem to have.

Like to see Sweet and English in same team, good game to trial 2 rucks against depleted Eagles . Rest English fwd

WBFC4FFC
26-05-2022, 08:20 PM
ROUND 11 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v West Coast Eagles
Saturday 28 May, 7.30pm AEST
Optus Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tim O’Brien
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Lachlan McNeil, Buku Khamis, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea
Emer: Josh Schache, Arthur Jones, Dom Bedendo, Luke Cleary

In: Cody Weightman, Tim English, Taylor Duryea
Out: Bailey Smith (illness), Zaine Cordy (omitted), Luke Cleary (omitted), Roarke Smith (medi-sub)

Williams definitely has to maintain his form from last week on the wing, given we are missing Smith.

Still missing all the quick guys (Smith, Vanders, JJ) and going with two Rucks. Would assume it would be 50/50 in the middle with English and Sweet, given how good English is up front!

BornInDroopSt'54
26-05-2022, 08:38 PM
So Tim rucks and 'rests' in the forward line when Sweety comes on.

Mantis
26-05-2022, 09:04 PM
Zaine very stiff, he was played out of position last week.

His a casualty of having fit players back.

Good problem to have.

Like to see Sweet and English in same team, good game to trial 2 rucks against depleted Eagles . Rest English fwd

He has played the same role for 90% of the season so I'm not sure what was different last week... can you expand?

josie
26-05-2022, 09:14 PM
Hope Westy gets a go in the mid or at clearances so he can strut his stuff. I’m so stoked his grabbed his opportunity and looked really composed and team orientated since his recall. No doubt Smith is a loss but I’m not too scared of WC midfield.

FrediKanoute
26-05-2022, 09:33 PM
3 good in's and the out's were largely as expected (though Ceary was a bit of a surprise).

I like what West brings - he is Libba Mark II and all he needs is game time and time in the centre

G-Mo77
26-05-2022, 09:36 PM
I'm not a Cordy basher but he was awful last week. In the space of 5 minutes he gave away two stupid frees in our forward 50 and chest bumped a certain mark in the goal square. Outside of those 5 minutes he was unnoticeable and didn't offer anything at all. Move him to the back half or not play him at all, they chose not at all this week.

I'm very happy to see us finally trying the 2 headed ruckman, not only can we have someone who can compete in there all game, the backup will give Naughton some much needed help.

boydogs
27-05-2022, 12:01 AM
I normally cringe a bit about making too much of a micro stat but he is elite at it. Argument against is it's easier when you're not doing much else.

How good are his tackles? He's a bit small so it's easier to get the ball away than when Dunks or Libba have got you

boydogs
27-05-2022, 12:05 AM

:D

I have Duryea as our best defender this year, in a defensive sense i.e. Bailey Dale's attack excluded

Rocco Jones
27-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Zaine not even being named an emergency adds a layer for mine.

MrMahatma
27-05-2022, 02:33 AM
Much stronger squad structurally than we’ve had for a while.

jeemak
27-05-2022, 04:05 AM
He has played the same role for 90% of the season so I'm not sure what was different last week... can you expand?

He's been played out of position at every time he's played in the forward line.

It's not his thing. I get we don't think he's perfect as a defender, but other teams might see him as a third and given we use him as a second he's/ we're exposed to losing him and I think we'll be worse for that when it comes to defencive depth.

His ground coverage is excellent, his fight in the contest is excellent, and he isn't the worst with ball in hand. He will appeal to a team who needs someone with a defencive structure that requires his attributes (one that doesn't place a high premium on run and spring from defence like we do, you know, one that plays taller).

Bullies
27-05-2022, 08:53 AM
:D

I have Duryea as our best defender this year, in a defensive sense i.e. Bailey Dale's attack excluded I agree with what you say about Doc. The other thing a lot of people don't see is that Doc is the General down back and calls the shots as to where the players need to be when to go. His role is very under rated.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-05-2022, 09:02 AM
Definite ins:

Weightman in.

Dreams do come true 😉

azabob
27-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Duryea is best 22 but I would have had him come back through the VFL and give Cleary another game.

Duryea has had an indifferent start to the year.

GVGjr
27-05-2022, 12:25 PM
Duryea is best 22 but I would have had him come back through the VFL and give Cleary another game.

Many on super coach would agree with you :)
I don't think Duryea missed enough football to warrant a week at Footscray.

Rocco Jones
27-05-2022, 12:25 PM

I hear you with Doc but I think a contributing factor is how many inexperienced players we've had in the team, especially with his replacement only having 2 games.

AFL games of the following players:
Gardner 31
Scott 29
McNeil 20
West 14
Sweet 7
McComb 5
Khamis 4

Hopefully Doc won't just contribute as an individual but help out the rest of the team with his experience, footy IQ and leadership.

GVGjr
27-05-2022, 12:55 PM
I hear you with Doc but I think a contributing factor is how many inexperienced players we've had in the team, especially with his replacement only having 2 games.

AFL games of the following players:
Gardner 31
Scott 29
McNeil 20
West 14
Sweet 7
McComb 5
Khamis 4

Hopefully Doc won't just contribute as an individual but help out the rest of the team with his experience, footy IQ and leadership.

He's a sensational leader on the field. I've often seen him at the Ballarat games directing things for his team mates
I think you're bang on with this assessment of him.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2022, 03:04 PM
I am not worried about Duryea, he'll be fine, an asset and good to get him back at this juncture.
Hopefully the ball will not be going down there that much.

SquirrelGrip
28-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Looks like Artie and Clizzard are the two travelling emergencies today.

https://i.postimg.cc/C5nf8dGq/Squad-vs-WCE-20220528.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CnY1Th6h)

Happy Days
28-05-2022, 02:03 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/C5nf8dGq/Squad-vs-WCE-20220528.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CnY1Th6h)

What a beautiful photo.

The Underdog
28-05-2022, 02:06 PM

Reckon Cleary is the sub and Arthur is getting a visit home and is a break glass in case of emergency

EasternWest
28-05-2022, 03:33 PM
What a beautiful photo.

SSRG and SSBK