PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 14 v GWS at Giant Stadium on Saturday Night

Pages : [1] 2

Scraggers
12-05-2022, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 12 match against Geelong (and the Bye in Round 13) for our Round 14 match against GWS at Giant Stadium on Saturday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
03-06-2022, 03:57 PM
Bump

whythelongface
03-06-2022, 11:31 PM
In Schache, JJ, Crozier

Out Buku, Scott, smith

Scraggers
04-06-2022, 12:25 AM
I’m assuming Smith gets a week. Not because of the force, but the act itself. I think either Scott or McComb goes as well.

So my outs are :- Buku, McComb, Smith
And my ins:- JUH, JJ, and either Schache or Crozier (depending on match-ups)

Dry Rot
04-06-2022, 12:29 AM
West must stay. Had a great game.

The bulldog tragician
04-06-2022, 12:34 AM
Bevo said Gardner hurt his wrist so I think he may miss

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2022, 12:39 AM
How many weeks is Baz going to get? I reckon Tuohey must've really said something to rile him, as I've never seen Smith so enraged so far in his career.

angelopetraglia
04-06-2022, 01:05 AM
I’m assuming Smith gets a week. Not because of the force, but the act itself. I think either Scott or McComb goes as well.

So my outs are :- Buku, McComb, Smith
And my ins:- JUH, JJ, and either Schache or Crozier (depending on match-ups)

He did draw blood. He is gone. Just a stupid thing to do. However, if the umps play the right decision and McNeil gets a shot on goal downfield after Richards gets smashed then the melee doesn't happen.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 01:07 AM
Bevo said Gardner hurt his wrist so I think he may miss

I thought he broke his wrist when that happened

angelopetraglia
04-06-2022, 01:12 AM
"I think I was pulling and dragging at him as much as he was me, so there's not much in it"

Zach Tuohy on his altercation with Bailey Smith.

Grantysghost
04-06-2022, 01:15 AM
"I think I was pulling and dragging at him as much as he was me, so there's not much in it"

He is a likeable fella.

Did you see during the Buddy 1000th goal mayhem he accidentally pole axed a fan.
The guy dropped his wallet and Zach chased him through the throng and gave it back!

bornadog
04-06-2022, 01:15 AM

The blood doesn't help Smith at all.

Grantysghost
04-06-2022, 01:16 AM
The blood doesn't help Smith at all.

3 down to 2?

angelopetraglia
04-06-2022, 01:27 AM
MRO guidlines.

Is it intentional or careless? I think it is intentional. He threw his head forward agressively.

What is the impact? I think it is high or possibily if he is lucky medium. He did draw blood. (Previously when a high bump or front-on contact occurred, “strong consideration” had to be given to the potential to cause injury. New for next season, the potential to cause injury must be factored into the impact grading. It means, as with striking charges, any high contact with the potential to cause injury will “usually” be classified as either medium, high or severe impact - not low impact.)

Where was the contact? Definilty high.

Intentional, high and high = three matches.

Intentional, high and medium = two matches

G-Mo77
04-06-2022, 05:33 AM
He is a likeable fella.

Did you see during the Buddy 1000th goal mayhem he accidentally pole axed a fan.
The guy dropped his wallet and Zach chased him through the throng and gave it back!

Respect what he said on TV and singled out Smith and chatted to him post game. That's a bit of old school mentality which I like. Leave it on the field and shake hands post game.

DOG GOD
04-06-2022, 07:39 AM
If Gardner misses….

In- Wallis, Schache
Out- smith, Gardner

comrade
04-06-2022, 08:03 AM
Have no idea why Doc was put straight back in. Been down on form all year and was invisible last night, forgot he actually played until I looked at the stats. Cleary did nothing wrong and should still be playing.

Out: McNeil, Duryea, McComb/Baz if suspended, Khamis
In: Marra, Cleary, Bedendo, Schache

Just play Marra beside Naughton for the rest of the year. We’re not winning shit this year so invest in 2023 and let them learn how to play together.

Time for Bedendo to get a crack. Been playing wing/forward, gives us more marking power around the ground. Just do it.

Everyone on here continues to crap on Sweet but Khamis churned out the same sort of possession numbers without any of the ruck dominance we would have gotten with a proper ruck taking on Blicavs. Yeah, we may have gotten some clearances while Khamis rucked but there are clearances and there are good clearances, and I still saw the likes of Naughton and Bont being forced to take ruck inside 50 while English was off. Just play Schache in the 2nd ruck role for the rest of the year and be done with it. He can’t ruck but that’s obviously not important to us given we’re playing Khamis and atleast he knows how to lead and create space, and will kick goals with limited opportunity.

The Doctor
04-06-2022, 09:00 AM
In: Cordy, Schache, JJ, Wallis, Bedendo, Crozier

Out: Gardner (inj), Khamis, McNeil, McComb, Scott, Smith (sus)

westbulldog
04-06-2022, 10:56 AM
In
Ugle-Hagan, Schache, R Smith, JJ, Bedendo, Wallis

Out
McComb (goes on the basis of his atrocious miss, a statement has to be made), McNeill, Scott, B Smith, Gardner, Khamis

Duryea repreived, he is lucky not to be replaced by Cleary.

Happy Days
04-06-2022, 12:16 PM
From what I saw I’d be thinking about dropping Gardner anyway. His positioning on what I believe was Cameron’s 17th goal, the one from the forward 50 stoppage, was u11 get dragged and taught how to actually play football level.

Was he on Cameron the whole game?

Scorlibo
04-06-2022, 12:35 PM
From what I saw I’d be thinking about dropping Gardner anyway. His positioning on what I believe was Cameron’s 17th goal, the one from the forward 50 stoppage, was u11 get dragged and taught how to actually play football level.

Keath was taking Cameron early, when he was deep, but he was spending a whole lot of time up the ground as well where he wasn't really being checked by anyone.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Keath was taking Cameron early, when he was deep, but he was spending a whole lot of time up the ground as well where he wasn't really being checked by anyone.

Gardner played most of his time on the ground against Hawkins.

Gardner is getting belted by supporters, but I will have to say Keath was a big worry last night. He was on Cameron and just let him roam around on his lonesome, especially in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2022, 01:24 PM

Gardner is getting belted by supporters, but I will have to say Keath was a big worry last night. He was on Cameron and just let him roam around on his lonesome, especially in the first quarter.

Why would you play Keath on Cameron? Not only has Keath done well on Hawkins in the past, its logical - stylistically it is so plainly obvious for Keath to go to Hawkins and Gardner to goto Cameron.

I don't know how anyone can defend that coaching decision. It was diabolical.

Happy Days
04-06-2022, 01:28 PM
Why would you play Keath on Riewoldt? Not only has Keath done well on Lynch in the past, its logical - stylistically it is so plainly obvious for Keath to go to Lynch and Gardner to goto Riewoldt.

Feel like I’ve seen this movie before.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Why would you play Keath on Cameron? Not only has Keath done well on Hawkins in the past, its logical - stylistically it is so plainly obvious for Keath to go to Hawkins and Gardner to goto Cameron.

Well maybe look at it another way.

Hawkins gets most of his kicks from outmarking his opponent, and of course leading to a spot. Gardner is a player who mainly spoils marks (4th in AFL for spoils)

Hawkins wasn't the problem in the end, Cameron was the dangerman. I am not sure Gardner has the ability to keep up with Cameron, certainly Keath couldn't in the first quarter. In the second and third quarter the ball didn't go down there, but then Cameron bobbed up in the last.

I don't know who could have gone to Cameron as I don't think we have a backman with the ability.

Scorlibo
04-06-2022, 01:40 PM
Well maybe look at it another way.

Hawkins gets most of his kicks from outmarking his opponent, and of course leading to a spot. Gardner is a player who mainly spoils marks (4th in AFL for spoils)

Hawkins wasn't the problem in the end, Cameron was the dangerman. I am not sure Gardner has the ability to keep up with Cameron, certainly Keath couldn't in the first quarter. In the second and third quarter the ball didn't go down there, but then Cameron bobbed up in the last.

I don't know who could have gone to Cameron as I don't think we have a backman with the ability.

Keath didn't seem to want to go with Cameron when he worked up the field. I'd presume that the instruction was for him to stay behind the ball and pick Cameron up inside fifty, but with no one checking Cameron up the field he was just constantly running back into the fifty unopposed.

Vred
04-06-2022, 02:34 PM
Caleb needs to be dropped as well, something has stunk about him and tonight for me, nail in the coffin, I’d bring in Crozier to replace whatever it is Caleb is meant to be doing.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 02:43 PM
Caleb needs to be dropped as well, something has stunk about him and tonight for me, nail in the coffin, I’d bring in Crozier to replace whatever it is Caleb is meant to be doing.

Is this a joke post? He was one of the best on the ground? Ran at 80% efficiency on 30 disposals?

The Underdog
04-06-2022, 02:46 PM

If the answer is hitting targets by foot, then Croz ain’t your boy. Caleb has been off this season, I agree, but last night was probably one of his better efforts. While the backline is getting hammered, you can certainly apportion a heap of the blame to the mids and forwards who have the Cats so much time and space in the first quarter that the backs we’re facing a barrage. Not letting them off the hook, but they did a lot better when the ball stopped coming at full pace with a wave of unopposed Cats.

Bullies
04-06-2022, 05:34 PM

Gardner is getting belted by supporters, but I will have to say Keath was a big worry last night. He was on Cameron and just let him roam around on his lonesome, especially in the first quarter. You should know by now it is always Gardner fault we lose. Even if he is out with a broken wrist next week he will be blamed. For the amount of games he plays he doesn't do to bad.

Bullies
04-06-2022, 05:40 PM
Is this a joke post? He was one of the best on the ground? Ran at 80% efficiency on 30 disposals? I would also move Caleb move forward. The amount of ball we get down there and he knows how to read the play and finish off.

Buku has no idea yet how to read the play or where to run as a forward. McNeill is not a forward and doesn't have the instinct yet they both play as forwards.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 06:29 PM
You should know by now it is always Gardner fault we lose. Even if he is out with a broken wrist next week he will be blamed. For the amount of games he plays he doesn't do to bad.

That is fine and could work, but drop him was the call.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-06-2022, 07:16 PM
Baz has been suspended for two matches

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Hope I'm wrong but I immediately thought Smith would get 2+ weeks, two goes, one leaving a red bruise ahem to the head. Banging bowling balls together is extremely dangerous.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 07:27 PM
Baz has been suspended for two matches

Fair enough.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Fair enough.

Fair enough, it was assault.
A pessimist could say this incident could be the moment of our demise. Three weeks before he plays again just when we need him most.
Hopefully Smith will come back firing his energy at the ball.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 07:32 PM
Smith's suspension may save McComb's spot.
Scache for Gardner.
We are going to need to do what we did last year, star after the break.

Bullies
04-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Smith's suspension may save McComb's spot.
Scache for Gardner.
We are going to need to do what we did last year, star after the break. We are in all sorts if we have to leave McComb in the team. He has had his opportunities and is so far off it. He offers very little.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-06-2022, 08:34 PM
We are in all sorts if we have to leave McComb in the team. He has had his opportunities and is so far off it. He offers very little.

Apart from his bad miss, I actually thought he showed a lot more poise at this level the last couple of weeks and looks like he could be a solid depth player. He's on borrowed time as best 22, I suspect, once we get a few back over the coming weeks. Hunter, Hannan and maybe McLean will make it difficult for McComb, McNeil & Scott
to all keep their places in best 22.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Apart from his bad miss, I actually thought he showed a lot more poise at this level the last couple of weeks and looks like he could be a solid depth player. He's on borrowed time as best 22, I suspect, once we get a few back over the coming weeks. Hunter, Hannan and maybe McLean will make it difficult for McComb, McNeil & Scott
to all keep their places in best 22.

Beloved Hunter I hope you are well.
Bruce back could solve several present prob's.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 10:43 PM
Have no idea why Doc was put straight back in. Been down on form all year and was invisible last night, forgot he actually played until I looked at the stats. Cleary did nothing wrong and should still be playing.

Out: McNeil, Duryea, McComb/Baz if suspended, Khamis
In: Marra, Cleary, Bedendo, Schache

Just play Marra beside Naughton for the rest of the year. We’re not winning shit this year so invest in 2023 and let them learn how to play together.

Time for Bedendo to get a crack. Been playing wing/forward, gives us more marking power around the ground. Just do it.

Everyone on here continues to crap on Sweet but Khamis churned out the same sort of possession numbers without any of the ruck dominance we would have gotten with a proper ruck taking on Blicavs. Yeah, we may have gotten some clearances while Khamis rucked but there are clearances and there are good clearances, and I still saw the likes of Naughton and Bont being forced to take ruck inside 50 while English was off. Just play Schache in the 2nd ruck role for the rest of the year and be done with it. He can’t ruck but that’s obviously not important to us given we’re playing Khamis and atleast he knows how to lead and create space, and will kick goals with limited opportunity.

I like your suggestions. Bruce, McClean and JJ coming back are considerations.
Bedendo I feel will make it soon.

bornadog
04-06-2022, 10:57 PM
I like your suggestions. Bruce, McClean and JJ coming back are considerations.
Bedendo I feel will make it soon.

MClean and Bruce still weeks away and will start in VFL

BornInDroopSt'54
04-06-2022, 10:59 PM
MClean and Bruce still weeks away and will start in VFL

Yes and their time will come.
Fyfe just spent his week in 2's.
A bye is a week.
What of our star Hunter?

bornadog
04-06-2022, 11:12 PM
What of our star Hunter?

Unknown at this stage, we do miss him

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 12:30 AM
Unknown at this stage, we do miss him

I believe Stevo tweeted that he thinks he will be back after the bye.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 01:07 AM
I believe Stevo tweeted that he thinks he will be back after the bye.

Great news

azabob
05-06-2022, 01:18 PM
Key considerations for my changes.

*We seem to be too comfortable as an on-field group; thinking someone else will step up

*A statement at selection needs to be made. One should have been made after the Adelaide game after such an insipid performance.

*Focus on structure inside F50 like we have in D50

IN: Sweet; Ugle-Hagan, Schache, Johannisen, R.Smith
OUT: Smith (suspended), Gardner (inj), McComb, Khamis, Dunkley

Five changes is overkill but two are forced.

Sweet comes in as 2nd ruck to assist with keeping structure in our F50. McComb to make way.

JJ to add some more speed & defensive pressure in our F50.

R.Smith to replace Dunkley who had a chance in the first quarter to make a ground ball a 50/50 contest with Cameron but chose to step sidewards.

Ugle-Hagan to play ahead of Khamis.

B: Richards, Schache, O’Brien

HB: Daniel, Keath, Dale

C: Williams, Macrae, Scott

HF: Johannisen, Ugle-Hagan, Treloar

F: West, Naughton, Weightman

R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore 

Int: Duryea, Sweet, R.Smith, McNeil

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 01:24 PM
That's a tough call on Dunks Aza.

azabob
05-06-2022, 01:44 PM
That's a tough call on Dunks Aza.

It is a very tough call. I am sick of the same core senior midfield group getting pantsed and taking so long to react. There has been a problem with selection integrity since round 1. Hunter should not have played as the sub but he did.

It is clear to me the group is too comfortable and are not held accountable for their lack of performance on field.

It is highly likely we miss finals which will be a huge disappointment and failure.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 02:28 PM
Key considerations for my changes.

*We seem to be too comfortable as an on-field group; thinking someone else will step up

*A statement at selection needs to be made. One should have been made after the Adelaide game after such an insipid performance.

*Focus on structure inside F50 like we have in D50

IN: Sweet; Ugle-Hagan, Schache, Johannisen, R.Smith
OUT: Smith (suspended), Gardner (inj), McComb, Khamis, Dunkley

Five changes is overkill but two are forced.

Sweet comes in as 2nd ruck to assist with keeping structure in our F50. McComb to make way.

JJ to add some more speed & defensive pressure in our F50.

R.Smith to replace Dunkley who had a chance in the first quarter to make a ground ball a 50/50 contest with Cameron but chose to step sidewards.

Ugle-Hagan to play ahead of Khamis.

B: Richards, Schache, O’Brien

HB: Daniel, Keath, Dale

HF: Johannisen, Ugle-Hagan, Treloar

F: West, Naughton, Weightman

R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore 

Int: Duryea, Sweet, R.Smith, McNeil

My comments

* Adelaide game we had 12 on injury list so difficult to make a statement - especially in a 1 point game.

* Roarke has been out of form for a long time - no thanks

* Dunks - not sure what incident in the first quarter, but he was one of our best in the following 3 quarters

* Sweet - well debatable whether he should come in. Even at VFL level can't get hands on ball.

JJ, Schache, JUH - agree

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 02:49 PM
It is a very tough call. I am sick of the same core senior midfield group getting pantsed and taking so long to react. There has been a problem with selection integrity since round 1. Hunter should not have played as the sub but he did.

It is clear to me the group is too comfortable and are not held accountable for their lack of performance on field.

It is highly likely we miss finals which will be a huge disappointment and failure.

Some interesting and strong comments so I'm appreciative that you have presented them in the manner you have.
I still wouldn't drop Dunkley on one bad game or on one less than impressive act.
I see him as a leader of this club and the coaches should point out what he needs to do and he can bring others in the playing group along with him.

Danjul
05-06-2022, 03:16 PM
My comments

* Adelaide game we had 12 on injury list so difficult to make a statement - especially in a 1 point game.

* Roarke has been out of form for a long time - no thanks

* Dunks - not sure what incident in the first quarter, but he was one of our best in the following 3 quarters

* Sweet - well debatable whether he should come in. Even at VFL level can't get hands on ball.

JJ, Schache, JUH - agree
just a small complaint about the use of the word ‘on’.

Sweet had over 35? hitouts and a dozen disposals. And was a significant factor in Footscray’s win.

And the only reason we have anything to look forward to in the 2022 season is his ruck work in a couple of games. I’m eternally grateful.

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 03:24 PM

I just read that Kane Cornes has also made a similar assessment so it's gathering momentum.
If so, that really falls onto coaches and the leadership players to address it.

Is it shades of 2017 that we think it's just going to click for us or is we have lost a bit of passion to fight it out?

bornadog
05-06-2022, 03:35 PM
I just read that Kane Cornes has also made a similar assessment so it's gathering momentum.

Is it shades of 2017 that we think it's just going to click for us or is we have lost a bit of passion to fight it out?

You don't think we fought it out on Friday. We dominated the last 3 quarters, but coming back from a woeful first quarter of 40 points down is not easy.

As for Kane Cornes, he is still sooking about Port being thrashed in the prelim. The guy purposely tries to create controversy. I wouldn't listen to anything he has got to say.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 03:38 PM

Sweet had over 35? hitouts and a dozen disposals. And was a significant factor in Footscray’s win.

And the only reason we have anything to look forward to in the 2022 season is his ruck work in a couple of games. I’m eternally grateful.

I know you like to defend Sweet, but if he is going to be a first ruck or even a second ruck, he must do more around the ground. The is his challenge.

English has been averaging over 20 disposals per game and 6 marks, plus kicks a goal almost every game. Sweet is no where near this, AFL or VFL

jeemak
05-06-2022, 03:58 PM

Bugger that, I'm changing my opinion to Bevo needs a senior assistant and a change in tactics!

jeemak
05-06-2022, 04:00 PM

I know you like to defend Sweet, but if he is going to be a first ruck or even a second ruck, he must do more around the ground. The is his challenge.

English has been averaging over 20 disposals per game and 6 marks, plus kicks a goal almost every game. Sweet is no where near this, AFL or VFL

It's going to be a conflicted week for Danjul, given both Schache and Sweet have claims on a second ruck spot but only one will get it!

I don't think we'll take both in, it will be interesting to see what the coaches do.

Bulldog4life
05-06-2022, 04:08 PM
After a terrific game for Footscray surely Schache has to come in as forward/ 2nd ruck. We should stick with him too and not drop him after one or two games as we have done in the past.

azabob
05-06-2022, 04:15 PM

I honestly haven’t caught up with his comments.

By the end of next round it is likely we will be sitting 10th. Simply put, not good enough.

azabob
05-06-2022, 04:20 PM
You don't think we fought it out on Friday. We dominated the last 3 quarters, but coming back from a woeful first quarter of 40 points down is not easy.

BAD why were we 40 points down? Forget about coming back being hard.

Bevo spoke pregame about winning and going into the bye on a wining note.

azabob
05-06-2022, 04:20 PM
It's going to be a conflicted week for Danjul, given both Schache and Sweet have claims on a second ruck spot but only one will get it!

I don't think we'll take both in, it will be interesting to see what the coaches do.

If Gardner is injured who comes in for him?

bornadog
05-06-2022, 04:21 PM
If Gardner is injured who comes in for him?

I bet Cordy

Danjul
05-06-2022, 04:22 PM

English has been averaging over 20 disposals per game and 6 marks, plus kicks a goal almost every game. Sweet is no where near this, AFL or VFLexactly right.

But last year (in a grand final worthy team and after 60 games experience) his good games were 15 disposals and he got to 20 once.

Sweet hasn’t been in the team long enough for the others to recognise him. It’s time to turn him into an asset.

And he is a better option than the others at the moment, Schache will be wasted on the backline despite kicking 1 in every 3 goals in the Footscray match.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 04:23 PM
BAD why were we 40 points down? Forget about coming back being hard.

Bevo spoke pregame about winning and going into the bye on a wining note.

As I said it was woeful, but we did fight it out. Why would I forget the comeback. 5 min to go it was 6 points in it. I am not saying it was a pat on the back, it was a disastrous first quarter, and we didn't just sit back and take it.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 04:25 PM
exactly right.

But last year (in a grand final worthy team and after 60 games experience) his good games were 15 disposals and he got to 20 once.

Sweet hasn’t been in the team long enough for the others to recognise him. It’s time to turn him into an asset.

And he is a better option than the others at the moment, Schache will be wasted on the backline despite kicking 1 in every 3 goals in the Footscray match.

What I am saying is he needs to dominate at VFL. He is the same age as English, but doesn't have his talent. Dominate VFL and show that you are good enough to be in the AFL

DOG GOD
05-06-2022, 04:33 PM
I bet Cordy
Guaranteed he will.

Danjul
05-06-2022, 04:38 PM
What I am saying is he needs to dominate at VFL. He is the same age as English, but doesn't have his talent. Dominate VFL and show that you are good enough to be in the AFL

With our season on the line we can’t afford to ignore him. I agree we can play McNeil when he gets 5 possessions because we have other forwards to step up. But as I see it we don’t have enough ruck strength without Sweet. Yes, Buku can get some time in the ruck but it was pointed out to me that he did a‘Cordy’ at the end of Friday’s game (the opposition surged when he went into the ruck).

I’m not being critical of Khamis, I think he has a future but I’m not prepared to gamble our season on his limited experience. With Sweet it’s also a gamble but our poor start to the season has meant that we must consider the odds very carefully.

GVGjr
05-06-2022, 04:51 PM

As for Kane Cornes, he is still sooking about Port being thrashed in the prelim. The guy purposely tries to create controversy. I wouldn't listen to anything he has got to say.

I know he can rub people up the wrong way and that he tries to call things with limited knowledge but it's a stretch to me to think he's carrying a grudge on Ports PF capitulation.
I listen to a lot of what he says, it doesn't mean I agree with it but it's often thought provoking.

Happy Days
05-06-2022, 05:04 PM
I know he can rub people up the wrong way and that he tries to call things with limited knowledge but it's a stretch to me to think he's carrying a grudge on Ports PF capitulation.
I listen to a lot of what he says, it doesn't mean I agree with it but it's often thought provoking.

I think he’s carrying a grudge because Bevo said he doesn’t know how his wife can sleep next to him at night more so than the PF itself.

jeemak
05-06-2022, 05:12 PM
I think he’s carrying a grudge because Bevo said he doesn’t know how his wife can sleep next to him at night more so than the PF itself.

Which when you think about it is a level of savagery you don't often come across in the sterile world of AFL.

kruder
05-06-2022, 06:01 PM
I still think English playing more forward while Bruce is out of the team particularly against strong opposition is what is needed right now.

What hasn't made sense to me is that we did during the finals last year but for some reason Bevo said its time now for English to ruck full time? It just feels like we are doing it so he will stay rather than what's best for the team.

There still feels like there is an underlying selfishness within the group and the fact a lot haven't yet signed in part is a big reason why we are struggling with inconsistency this year.

Id like to see Sweet play next week.

Bullies
05-06-2022, 07:23 PM
I listen to a lot of what he says, it' doesn't mean I agree with it but it's often thought provoking. I agree. You don't have to agree with what he says but i would prefer he says what he thinks rather than the commentators who are not prepared to say what they think becasue they are ex players. Some times the truth hurts and at the moment we deserve it.

Bullies
05-06-2022, 07:28 PM
I bet Cordy Give me Cordy over O'Brien anytime. I still don't see what O'Brien offers. There was a reason he struggled for a game at Hawthorn.

bornadog
05-06-2022, 08:12 PM
I agree. You don't have to agree with what he says but i would prefer he says what he thinks rather than the commentators who are not prepared to say what they think becasue they are ex players. Some times the truth hurts and at the moment we deserve it.

He is just a shit stirrer.

Give me Cordy over O'Brien anytime. I still don't see what O'Brien offers. There was a reason he struggled for a game at Hawthorn.

Not when he was moved to the backline

G-Mo77
06-06-2022, 06:59 AM

Oh for god's sake. He hasn't even played 10 games and you want to bury him just because you want to say I told you so to people who dare to question Bevo's selections.

Seriously......

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 09:01 AM
I honestly haven’t caught up with his comments.

By the end of next round it is likely we will be sitting 10th. Simply put, not good enough.

As I have previously said, I don't mind listen to the opinions of Kane Cornes (and I enjoy reading yours for that matter) but they have both drawn the same observation and I'll pay some more attention to it now.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 09:01 AM
I bet Cordy

I tend to agree.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 09:04 AM

I'm not sure dominating in the VFL is a requirement for a promotion, it probably should be, but plenty of players seem to get the call up after couple of decent games.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 09:06 AM

For what it's worth, Bevo shouldn't make those type of comments. I like that he shares more than many other coaches but making comments that involve the wife of someone you are pushing back on should be avoided.

Happy Days
06-06-2022, 09:10 AM
For what it's worth, Bevo shouldn't make those type of comments. I like that he shares more than many other coaches but making comments that involve the wife of someone you are pushing back on should be avoided.

Probably, but also how much of a hater do you have to be to watch that Semi Final and have your take away be how poorly one single player on the winning team played? Kind of sums Cornes and his approach to media work and life up.

G-Mo77
06-06-2022, 09:13 AM

Ahhh, I forgot that one. That was after he took swipes at Treloar right?

Grantysghost
06-06-2022, 09:17 AM

He seems to black list people he can't deal with by ignoring them and then insulting them publicly.

Leadership is dealing with difficult people with professionalism and thats what I'd much rather see from him.

It makes me wonder if he struggles with strong counter points in general.

I'm not a Cornes hater but I don't really enjoy that style of journalism either.

Grantysghost
06-06-2022, 09:19 AM
Ahhh, I forgot that one. That was after he took swipes at Treloar right?
Yep
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/nasty-vindictive-and-distasteful-luke-beveridges-words-used-against-him/news-story/b0619a2a8cc7cbc539736369a5449356?amp=

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 10:08 AM
He seems to black list people he can't deal with by ignoring them and then insulting them publicly.

Leadership is dealing with difficult people with professionalism and thats what I'd much rather see from him.

I'm not a Cornes hater but I don't really enjoy that style of journalism either.

It's a good point you raise. I'm sure our assistants challenge him but I think they would mostly need to tread a fine line.

Regarding Cornes, it's about acknowledging that there is a mix of nonsense and good observations and working out which ones are worth listening to.

Grantysghost
06-06-2022, 10:23 AM
Probably, but also how much of a hater do you have to be to watch that Semi Final and have your take away be how poorly one single player on the winning team played? Kind of sums Cornes and his approach to media work and life up.

It was a bit of a pile on too just re-reading that article.

These ex-footballer journalists are pretty lazy, they get spoon fed some vision on a platter and run with it like it was the entire match.

Bulldog4life
06-06-2022, 10:31 AM

I think Bevo has black listed Fox Footy after Morris said he had the full backing of his employer. Only coach who hasn't been on coaches night on AFL360. Some have been on 2 or 3 times.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2022, 11:36 AM
Interesting convo on a MC thread but I will say I have no issue with Bevo blacklisting the media. The AFL media are gross. they will knowingly go someone with mental health issues. I find it extremely toxic.

The possible/probable issue I have with Bevo and 'blacklisting' though is when it comes to those who matter, those within the four walls, the players. It does seem he can write off players a bit. Idk if fact or fiction, whether he has moved on, whether the list is all Bevo types now etc but that's my issue.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2022, 11:46 AM
I used to know someone who worked for The Footy Show (she hated it ha). Bevo blacklists/ignores on values too. I am not a 100% Bevo fan and just one example but it was about values of the show. I guess the stand is very different depends on POV you take. Tom Browne, The Footy Show... more acceptable to some and vile to others. I am in the latter camp.

bornadog
06-06-2022, 11:49 AM
I used to know someone who worked for The Footy Show (she hated it ha). Bevo blacklists/ignores on values too. I am not a 100% Bevo fan and just one example but it was about values of the show. I guess the stand is very different depends on POV you take. Tom Browne, The Footy Show... more acceptable to some and vile to others. I am in the latter camp.

I don't watch any of the footy shows.

AFL360 is ruined by Slobbo and the others are all the boys club.

Grantysghost
06-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Interesting convo on a MC thread but I will say I have no issue with Bevo blacklisting the media. The AFL media are gross. they will knowingly go someone with mental health issues. I find it extremely toxic.

The possible/probable issue I have with Bevo and 'blacklisting' though is when it comes to those who matter, those within the four walls, the players. It does seem he can write off players a bit. Idk if fact or fiction, whether he has moved on, whether the list is all Bevo types now etc but that's my issue.

I agree I hate the AFL media, however for many members this is a normalised source of connection to the game and their club. So it's a necessary evil and I think the head coach, being probably the main face of the team needs to be able to live in that world.

I do worry about that behaviour internally too.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2022, 11:58 AM
I agree I hate the AFL media, however for many members this is a normalised source of connection to the game and their club. So it's a necessary evil and I think the head coach, being probably the main face of the team needs to be able to live in that world.

I do worry about that behaviour internally too.

Being a bit calmer or planned in his delivery of why he is rejecting such sources an option too.

azabob
06-06-2022, 12:03 PM

The First Crack on a Sunday night isn't too bad. Focuses on the actual game rather than the politics.

GVGjr
06-06-2022, 12:33 PM

I thought 360 had improved but I'm off it now. For whatever reason I don't mind footy classified and as much as I don't like Garry Lyon On the Couch is occasionally worth a watch.

angelopetraglia
06-06-2022, 03:48 PM
Decent highlight reel from Shaq in the VFL https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1533646253694648320?s=20&t=jM90grjNbvDRPYRufy-wOA

comrade
06-06-2022, 04:02 PM
Imagine Schache taking that set shot instead of McComb :o

MrMahatma
06-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Decent highlight reel from Shaq in the VFL https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1533646253694648320?s=20&t=jM90grjNbvDRPYRufy-wOA

Meh... 5 goals in a tight contest. Hit up leads. Contested marks. Whatever...

He looked like he wasn't trying hard enough. So he mustn't be selected.

MrMahatma
06-06-2022, 04:39 PM
But I think we need to play one of either JUH or Schache in the AFL each week. Whichever one is going the best.

WBFC4FFC
06-06-2022, 10:01 PM
But I think we need to play one of either JUH or Schache in the AFL each week. Whichever one is going the best.

Exactly!

The side needs structure up forward.

Khamis/Cordy are a third forward option. Bruce's absence means it is either Schache (more versatile) or JUH.

FrediKanoute
06-06-2022, 10:41 PM
JUH is not ready and as much as we want him to be ready he isn't so we either accept that his output will be up and down (much like Khamis) or we don't pick him.

Schache I think probably deserves a run this week as a replacement for Khamis. He can 2nd ruck if we aren't going to pick Sweet.

Danjul
07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
I saw a comment here somewhere about kicks against the eagles and thought that the team must have had a lot. So I looked it up.

218. But against Collingwood, a much better opponent, the dogs had 269 in only a nine goal win. And that’s was the most in the first eleven games.

And both Bont and Treloar had their biggest tally for those games. Why is this?

Mantis
07-06-2022, 05:30 PM
I saw a comment here somewhere about kicks against the eagles and thought that the team must have had a lot. So I looked it up.

218. But against Collingwood, a much better opponent, the dogs had 269 in only a nine goal win. And that’s was the most in the first eleven games.

And both Bont and Treloar had their biggest tally for those games. Why is this?

What has this post got to do with team selection against GWS?

G-Mo77
07-06-2022, 05:47 PM
JUH is not ready and as much as we want him to be ready he isn't so we either accept that his output will be up and down (much like Khamis) or we don't pick him.

Schache I think probably deserves a run this week as a replacement for Khamis. He can 2nd ruck if we aren't going to pick Sweet.

Well it's not hard to be 2nd ruck under Bevo. You or I could do it. Don't need height, don't need to jump, don't need to do anything really. I might go down to training this week and throw my hat in the ring.

Scorlibo
07-06-2022, 06:12 PM
I'll go with

In: Roarke, Crozier, Schache
Out: Baz, Gardner, Khamis

Very disappointing from Baz, we don't really have the kind of performances in the VFL midfield that warrant promotion, so he'll leave a hole. Roarke can at least cover the ground in a similar fashion and might be able to assist plug holes down back with his trademark third man up elevation.

If Gardner is alright I'd keep him in, bring Crozier in for Baz, and move Daniel to the midfield rotations (Roarke stays put). Crozier looks to have recaptured some form in recent weeks.

Great development experience for Buku the last month, and he's gone alright, but form dictates that he be replaced by Shaq.

bornadog
07-06-2022, 06:13 PM
I'll go with

In: Roarke, Crozier, Schache
Out: Baz, Gardner, Khamis

Very disappointing from Baz, we don't really have the kind of performances in the VFL midfield that warrant promotion, so he'll leave a hole. Roarke can at least cover the ground in a similar fashion and might be able to assist plug holes down back with his trademark third man up elevation.

If Gardner is alright I'd keep him in, bring Crozier in for Baz, and move Daniel to the midfield rotations (Roarke stays put). Crozier looks to have recaptured some form in recent weeks.

Great development experience for Buku the last month, and he's gone alright, but form dictates that he be replaced by Shaq.

Gardner's Wrist.

Scorlibo
07-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Gardner's Wrist.

Gosh you're quick BAD! Thought I'd got away with the edit before your eagle eyes arrived ;)

Have you heard anything with regard to the severity of said wrist injury?

Danjul
07-06-2022, 06:46 PM
What has this post got to do with team selection against GWS?
Well actually, in my opinion that was our best win for the year. We dominated the other team because we were very good, not because they were very bad. And the fact that a lot of our good players were all kicking suggests something about the game allowed them space and clearance to play a longer dominant game.

Against Geelong they were not kicking, more handball under pressure and a costly loss.

In my opinion it was the ruck/talls selection. And that’s definitely relevant to future games if we are going to make the finals.

Happy Days
08-06-2022, 05:02 PM
I’m the biggest Schache hater in the entire world but that sizzle reel from the VFL was as good as he has ever looked. I think that much more than relief rucking (well, save for when we just concede with a midfielder, and did we actually use Naughton because wow that’s horrible) we need an actual legitimate second key presence in the forward line to command some attention and maybe pose a scoring threat.

I wanted it to be Buku but it just isn’t gonna be. I’m ready to try Schache again but if it isn’t his last chance then it’s his second last at best.

Otherwise geez who knows for Baz. Is Hunter ever coming back or nah.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 05:10 PM
I’m the biggest Schache hater in the entire world but that sizzle reel from the VFL was as good as he has ever looked. I think that much more than relief rucking (well, save for when we just concede with a midfielder, and did we actually use Naughton because wow that’s horrible) we need an actual legitimate second key presence in the forward line to command some attention and maybe pose a scoring threat.

I wanted it to be Buku but it just isn’t gonna be. I’m ready to try Schache again but if it isn’t his last chance then it’s his second last at best.

Schache needs to come back and do something, otherwise Bruce is back in a few weeks and will keep him out.

Mantis
08-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Schache needs to come back and do something, otherwise Bruce is back in a few weeks and will keep him out.

How will you be rating his performances?

Effort or output?

bornadog
08-06-2022, 05:44 PM
How will you be rating his performances?

Effort or output?

Both

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 05:48 PM

Who would know the media are too scared to talk about it. Bevo probably has tapes and photos of all of them!

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Both

Schache deserves an extended time in the ones as a forward.
Let's put him in for the rest of the season and see how it goes. Nothing to lose we already suck and he's standing up.

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 05:53 PM
Who would know the media are too scared to talk about it. Bevo probably has tapes and photos of all of them!

Stevo mentioned on Twitter it wasn't long after the bye he was expected back.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Stevo mentioned on Twitter it wasn't long after the bye he was expected back.

How much sick leave do these guys have?

Bulldog4life
08-06-2022, 05:56 PM
How much sick leave do these guys have?

When it comes to mental health as long as they need.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 05:56 PM

Bruce won't be the same until next year I think.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Let's put him in for the rest of the season and see how it goes. Nothing to lose we already suck and he's standing up.

I went back to the round one game and looked at some comments on Schache. They weren't very flattering at all. :D

I think he has to come in, we don't have much choice and seems to be playing well at VFL level.

Has played a lot in the backline, but last week moved forward and kicked 5.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 06:03 PM
When it comes to mental health as long as they need.

It's a tough one. I am totally on board with your sentence.

However, it can't be indefinite.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 06:04 PM
I went back to the round one game and looked at some comments on Schache. They weren't very flattering at all. :D

I think he has to come in, we don't have much choice and seems to be playing well at VFL level.

Has played a lot in the backline, but last week moved forward and kicked 5.

I've bagged the be jesus out of him.

Bulldog4life
08-06-2022, 06:08 PM
It's a tough one. I am totally on board with your sentence.

However, it can't be indefinite.

Unfortunately Gg as long "as they need" is indefinite as we found out with Tommy Boyd.

Happy Days
08-06-2022, 06:14 PM
Nvm he’s back at the club as of today.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Nvm he’s back at the club as of today.

and looking ok

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUtllBOagAAevCr?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
08-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Plus

https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/286802141_10159806678627487_9103552923361728613_n.jpg?_nc_ca t=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=yopHYWs4LiMAX-u0_vg&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AT8iI20zujPmzUnbcrvWWdlvgPdiI14-vaC1bgfEwZIMPQ&oe=62A6325A

bornadog
08-06-2022, 06:23 PM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/286613456_10159806678557487_1182051170331219605_n.jpg?_nc_ca t=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=amVeA6Ab1gYAX-jk7Ry&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AT_6WxXFBWDdR30Ejz5KBLPyUDDxJkQwMrFKH92EE0p2cA&oe=62A493B9

Danjul
08-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Schache was dropped after the disastrous Adelaide game. He was among the better players that day. Played forward and back. 11 kicks (Bont 7 - it was a bad day generally) and 2 goals. If that didn’t help him stay in the team nothing will.

He was bad in game 1 but not the worst, still deserved criticism but to be banished when the team struggles against any opponent above bottom four is ridiculous.

He and his manager should be shopping that video around so he can get into a positive environment somewhere else.

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 06:45 PM
Schache was dropped after the disastrous Adelaide game. He was among the better players that day. Played forward and back. 11 kicks (Bont 7 - it was a bad day generally) and 2 goals. If that didn’t help him stay in the team nothing will.

He was bad in game 1 but not the worst, still deserved criticism but to be banished when the team struggles against any opponent above bottom four is ridiculous.

He and his manager should be shopping that video around so he can get into a positive environment somewhere else.

He spent the better part of the pre-season training as a defender and we lined him up on a wing. We did something similar to Bailey Williams a couple of seasons back.

Schache should have done better but we might as well give him a chance to establish himself as he has performed well at Footscray.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 06:51 PM
He spent the better part of the pre-season training as a defender and we lined him up on a wing. We did something similar to Bailey Williams a couple of seasons back.

Schache should have done better but we might as well give him a chance to establish himself as he has performed well at Footscray.

Like when Easton Wood and Lewy Young played forward? I don't know how these things happen tbh.

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 07:12 PM
Like when Easton Wood and Lewy Young played forward? I don't know how these things happen tbh.

I guess things happen but a natural forward trains as a defender which seemed to be a good part of his development. The merits of lining up on a wing is a bit harder to fathom though.

jazzadogs
08-06-2022, 07:18 PM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/286613456_10159806678557487_1182051170331219605_n.jpg?_nc_ca t=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=amVeA6Ab1gYAX-jk7Ry&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AT_6WxXFBWDdR30Ejz5KBLPyUDDxJkQwMrFKH92EE0p2cA&oe=62A493B9

I'm loving that we have fit trim Brucey coming back in to the side. I know he won't be 100%, and will likely fatigue quickly, but I'm hoping we'll be getting closer to 2021 Bruce than 2020 can't-get-off-the-ground Bruce.

G-Mo77
08-06-2022, 08:20 PM

You know how these things happen. :)

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 09:18 PM
I'm loving that we have fit trim Brucey coming back in to the side. I know he won't be 100%, and will likely fatigue quickly, but I'm hoping we'll be getting closer to 2021 Bruce than 2020 can't-get-off-the-ground Bruce.

Agree super exciting imagine if he was playing in the GF !!! Argh... we were the best team last yar.

EasternWest
08-06-2022, 09:21 PM

His papers are stamped. If he doesn't make it with us he's not making it.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 09:23 PM
His papers are stamped. If he doesn't make it with us he's not making it.

Word.

Danjul
08-06-2022, 09:31 PM

Too late.

We have seen what he can do and he should spend 100% of his energy getting out.

As late as round 19 last year he played 2nd ruck to English. Both were poor, English 14 hitouts and Schache 4. Interestingly both had 17 disposals, English 6 kicks 2 marks and Schache 12 kicks and 6 marks. But that’s got no value for him at the Dogs.

He also had as many contested possessions as Naughton. (2 less than English).

Ask anyone here on Woof if Schache has ever had more marks in a game than English and the answer will be no. He is only remembered for a few mistakes. (and being dropped for 6 months at a time)

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 09:37 PM
Hi I don't know where to put this..

I won this seriously with ticket 54 at a Cairns game in 2016.

I've asked the club to give me a certificate of authentication a d they said no (dicks).

Anyway. Can you guys help me with the signatures?

https://i.postimg.cc/pT87XM1h/20220608-204041.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/HLFRgk31/20220608-204047.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/0NzFFwYC/20220608-204052.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/KctSmBdq/20220608-204057.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Yes 2016. And the club won't verify it.

EasternWest
08-06-2022, 09:50 PM
Hi I don't know where to put this..

I won this seriously with ticket 54 at a Cairns game in 2016.

I've asked the club to give me a certificate of authentication a d they said no (dicks).

Anyway. Can you guys help me with the signatures?

https://i.postimg.cc/pT87XM1h/20220608-204041.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/HLFRgk31/20220608-204047.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/0NzFFwYC/20220608-204052.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/KctSmBdq/20220608-204057.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Sure, but I don't know what good my signature will do.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 11:06 PM
Sure, but I don't know what good my signature will do.
There’s space.

Between Tom Campbell and Zaine Cordy xD

Im mainly showing off my footy here if you guys haven’t noticed!

I just was being lazy and wanted signature deciphering help :)

bornadog
09-06-2022, 12:16 AM
There’s space.

Between Tom Campbell and Zaine Cordy xD

Im mainly showing off my footy here if you guys haven’t noticed!

I just was being lazy and wanted signature deciphering help :)

HINT: Just look at the jumper numbers next to the signatures

Grantysghost
09-06-2022, 08:39 AM
HINT: Just look at the jumper numbers next to the signatures

ha thanks bad xD

Some don’t have them.

Should I kick it?

Anyway I’ve completely gone off thread apologies.

JJ and Schache in.

Not sure about outs other than baz.

bornadog
09-06-2022, 10:04 AM
ha thanks bad xD

Should I kick it? .

Being a 2016 Footy, it might be worth a few bob

1eyedog
09-06-2022, 10:40 AM
ha thanks bad xD

Some don’t have them.

Should I kick it?

JJ and Schache in.

I've got all sigs from 2016 with numbers if you post up individual sigs I may be ablebto help.

Grantysghost
09-06-2022, 10:57 AM
I've got all sigs from 2016 with numbers if you post up individual sigs I may be ablebto help.

Legend thanks!

Bulldog4life
09-06-2022, 11:05 AM

And playing Naughty all pre season as a defender then swinging him forward. What a disaster.:rolleyes:

comrade
09-06-2022, 11:11 AM
And playing Naughty all pre season as a defender then swinging him forward. What a disaster.:rolleyes:

Finally, someone agrees!

GVGjr
09-06-2022, 12:13 PM

In fairness that move with Naughton was a more of a spur of the moment decision to address an injury.
Better list planning would have had negated the need to do that.
Wood being moved forward was due to more of an experiment we wanted to do.

Danjul
09-06-2022, 12:26 PM
The problem is not where a champion plays but how you treat them. Naughton has always been seen as a saviour for the club and treated that way, and he remained a champion who occasionally has an off day. Have 5 disposals and 0 goals- no problem. Just try again and have a great game next time. Club benefits enormously.

Others are not viewed as favourably (and given a raw deal in my opinion), to the club’s disadvantage.

One such case was Bailey Williams in 2018. He had 20+ possessions in nine consecutive games and got dropped. Never understood it. Serious long term injury? Not that I recall.

Never got back to that form and struggled to get a game for years.

And that’s been the case with others. One player was dropped after 20 goals in 10 games. Had to reinvent himself as a backman. Had good games but first bad one and he’s out to reinvent himself as a ruckman or a wingman and next as a drink carrier.

The club suffers, and spends years missing out on badly needed success. Look at the membership situation. 2 grand finals but everyone sees them as accidents. Not seen as professional if you experiment and the wins dry up.

The Doctor
10-06-2022, 01:28 PM
My team for the GWS clash.

B: O'Brien, Gardner, Daniel

HB: Dale, Keath, Richards

C: Williams, Macrae, Hunter

HF: Dunkley, Bontempelli, Johannisen

F: Weightman, Naughton, Schache

R: English, Libba, Treloar

INT: Duryea, Bedendo, West, Crozier

EMG: Khamis, Scott, McNeil, Wallis

GVGjr
10-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Doc, you don't think Junter will need some time at Footscray?

5 ins would be a big adjustment for the MC.

The Doctor
10-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Doc, you don't think Junter will need some time at Footscray?

5 ins would be a big adjustment for the MC.

Possibly, depends on whether or not he has maintained appropriate fitness levels. If he has I'd play him.

We have 10 games to go. We need 6-4 minimum if not 7-3 win loss ratio with a tough draw ahead to make the finals I would think. So I want our best players on the field playing together as much as we can make it happen.

Bailey Smith is back in 2 weeks so I'd give Bedendo a taste following his good form at Footscray. Schache and Crozier have been dominant at Footscray and deserve a recall. On paper this looks a strong team to me. Only Smith and possibly Bruce and Hannan arguably could make it stronger if they can come back with good form.

I doubt the MC will make 5 changes as well.

azabob
10-06-2022, 03:00 PM
We have 10 games to go. We need 6-4 minimum if not 7-3 win loss ratio with a tough draw ahead to make the finals I would think. So I want our best players on the field playing together as much as we can make it happen.

DOC, I think your team is one key forward or 2nd ruck short. We need some height down forward in an effort to stop Naughton being double teamed.

I agree with your thinking on our having our best team out there week in week out and along those lines I'd prefer Bontempelli to play midfield rather than forward.

SquirrelGrip
10-06-2022, 03:53 PM
This is my team if no injuries, no suspensions and everyone in form:

C: B.Smith, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Treloar, Naughton, Johannisen
F: Weightman, Bruce, Ugle-Hagan
R: English, Bontempelli, Libba

INT: Dunkley Duryea, West, Williams

EMG: Schache McLean Hannan McNeil Khamis Wallis McComb Parker Sweet Jones Butler Vandermeer Bedendo Crozier Cleary Raak Scott R.Smith

For GWS, with the target to eventually get to my best, I would have:

HF: Treloar, Naughton, McNeil
F: Weightman, Schache, Dunkley

INT: Sweet, Duryea, West, Bedendo

U-H needs to knock the door down one more week, JJ needs to play full minutes at Footscray first, as does Hunter

The Doctor
10-06-2022, 04:26 PM
DOC, I think your team is one key forward or 2nd ruck short. We need some height down forward in an effort to stop Naughton being double teamed.

I agree with your thinking on our having our best team out there week in week out and along those lines I'd prefer Bontempelli to play midfield rather than forward.

yes I agree, but the options are a bit thin at the moment. We looked unbeatable last year when we had Naughton, Bruce and English as our King Ghidora up front, but that is gone.

Jamarra is next in line but not quite there yet based on Footscray form. He's improving and had he played a good game last week I would have named him. He had another almost game instead. Half a sec off the pace. Otherwise we have Martin (inj), Sweet (can't play forward), Cordy (defender) and Khamis (on L plates) as alternate options. This is why I mentioned Bruce who could be that player. But he is a few weeks away at least.

Schache can 2nd ruck and is clearly a better forward than the other options. We have Bont & O'Brien as other tall options til Bruce or someone else forces their way in. Wallis perhaps for Bedendo to give us another forward target but I want to see Bedendo given a chance as I have been encouraged by his Footscray form.

Danjul
10-06-2022, 05:10 PM

U-H needs to knock the door down one more week, JJ needs to play full minutes at Footscray first, as does Hunter
Looks like a carefully thought out team.

plenty of support in each zone, flexibility to move players to respond to circumstances. Structured to Players strengths, keeps any opposition on edge. Well done.

[/QUOTE]

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2022, 06:40 PM
Looks like a carefully thought out team.

plenty of support in each zone, flexibility to move players to respond to circumstances. Structured to Players strengths, keeps any opposition on edge. Well done.

A balanced side picked to maximise their strengths.

Can't see the MC going with anything as predictable as that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-06-2022, 09:50 PM

C: B.Smith, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Treloar, Naughton, Johannisen
F: Weightman, Bruce, Ugle-Hagan

INT: Dunkley Duryea, West, Williams

EMG: Schache McLean Hannan McNeil Khamis Wallis McComb Parker Sweet Jones Butler Vandermeer Bedendo Crozier Cleary Raak Scott R.Smith

Good to see your selection of two genuine ruck men and key forwards which has been sadly lacking by the MC. I believe though that Cordy is a better option than O’Brien who was very poor against Geelong.
Would also play Wallis instead of McNeil

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:27 PM
ha thanks bad xD

Some don’t have them.

Should I kick it?

JJ and Schache in.

Definitely, and then lose it at Lum Reserve because you're a stupid dickhead thirteen year old like I did with the signed Hawthorn footy I won in U/12s for being best on in a losing semi final after not playing the week before because I went skiing instead of training.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:28 PM
Being a 2016 Footy, it might be worth a few bob

Yep, most Bob's are getting old and useless these days. You could definitely trade the footy for a few people named Bob.

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:31 PM
In fairness that move with Naughton was a more of a spur of the moment decision to address an injury.
Better list planning would have had negated the need to do that.
Wood being moved forward was due to more of an experiment we wanted to do.

A bit like Bailey Dale and Ed Richards who Bevo played when he could because he knew they were just good footballers and could play. I guess it's only Bevo who gets shit for having a crack at something different and pulling it off, right?

It's actually tiring this whole "yeah but he did only because" bullshit to be honest. The fact of the matter is he did, and we benefitted from it. A less innovative coach wouldn't have done it.

bornadog
10-06-2022, 11:33 PM
Definitely, and then lose it at Lum Reserve because you're a stupid dickhead thirteen year old like I did with the signed Hawthorn footy I won in U/12s for being best on in a losing semi final after not playing the week before because I went skiing instead of training.

Funny, I won a signed Hawthorn footy in a raffle in the past players room. Mate's father played for Hawks and a few of us were invited in the pass players room at the G after Hawks v Dogs match. I had a choice of the signed footy or a pair of signed training shorts worn by Everrit. (yuk)

Used the footy to kick around in the park with my daughter, pretty sure she still has it

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:38 PM
Need to get Schache in, and Buku out. Schache to toil as second ruck.

JJ for Smith.

EasternWest
10-06-2022, 11:49 PM

I'm glad you're not carrying any of this with you.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-06-2022, 11:50 PM
Need to get Schache in, and Buku out. Schache to toil as second ruck.

JJ for Smith.

Schache would be just as ineffective in the ruck as Buku. Maybe a bit better up forward but even that's debatable.

Don't let Schaches 'flexibility' fool you into thinking he can make us better. Sounds harsh, and I like him, but surely we know what he is by now.

You're not gonna like it jee, but FFS, can we just play Sweet?

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:55 PM
I'm glad you're not carrying any of this with you.

It was a triggering post, I've stopped rolling around on the ground in sufficient time to piss and moan about other things.

However, I do remember rocking up to the rooms at the quarter final and the coach just looking at me and shaking his head to suggest I'm not on the board......but that definitely hasn't hurt me long term!

jeemak
10-06-2022, 11:59 PM
Schache would be just as ineffective in the ruck as Buku. Maybe a bit better up forward but even that's debatable.

Don't let Schaches 'flexibility' fool you into thinking he can make us better. Sounds harsh, and I like him, but surely we know what he is by now.

You're not gonna like it jee, but FFS, can we just play Sweet?

I'm trying to operate within the confines of what I think is possible, and I think Schache should get the nod for his performance as a forward/ ruck which is what we need given English is going to be the first ruck and we're not going to pick a true first ruck (which is what Sweet is) to play second ruck.

And to be honest TBB, you might have been able to tell that I really don't think picking either makes much of a difference given how we play and the best 22 we have at the moment. So we may as well reward performance in the twos, after all, that's what the twos are for. If we don't at least keep some integrity in that area it becomes difficult to keep people trying.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 08:54 AM
I'm trying to operate within the confines of what I think is possible, and I think Schache should get the nod for his performance as a forward/ ruck which is what we need given English is going to be the first ruck and we're not going to pick a true first ruck (which is what Sweet is) to play second ruck.

And to be honest TBB, you might have been able to tell that I really don't think picking either makes much of a difference given how we play and the best 22 we have at the moment. So we may as well reward performance in the twos, after all, that's what the twos are for. If we don't at least keep some integrity in that area it becomes difficult to keep people trying.
Well said.

azabob
11-06-2022, 09:39 AM

Selection integrity. That’s funny. Surely Sweet didn’t deserve to be dropped in the first place?

Sweet, Schache and Marra should be in this week.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Selection integrity. That’s funny. Surely Sweet didn’t deserve to be dropped in the first place?

1 kick, 5 handballs and 1 mark against the Eagles - great game

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 10:20 AM
It was a triggering post, I've stopped rolling around on the ground in sufficient time to piss and moan about other things.

However, I do remember rocking up to the rooms at the quarter final and the coach just looking at me and shaking his head to suggest I'm not on the board......but that definitely hasn't hurt me long term!

If it makes you feel any better I was second top scorer in the entire league in under 16's and when I rocked up to play the Grand Final in a 1 v 2 showdown the officials wouldn't let me play because I didn't sign the score sheet after the first game of the season.

Not that it keeps me awake at night.

Bulldog Joe
11-06-2022, 10:25 AM

Sweet did deserve to be dropped.
English is so far ahead as first ruck that Sweet needs to be forward/second ruck and he is not effective at that.

Schache performed exceptionally well at Footscray as forward/second ruck and deserves the spot over Buku. Sweet shouldn't even be in the conversation.

azabob
11-06-2022, 10:33 AM
1 kick, 5 handballs and 1 mark against the Eagles - great game

How’d our forward line operate against Geelong with only Naughton as a target?

Rather than focus on Sweets stats I focus on what else he brings to the team. Interestingly the one stat you should judge Sweet on is one you neglected to mention. 16 hit outs.

Focusing only on disposals is an extremely selfish way to play a team game.

azabob
11-06-2022, 10:35 AM
English is so far ahead as first ruck that Sweet needs to be forward/second ruck and he is not effective at that.

Schache performed exceptionally well at Footscray as forward/second ruck and deserves the spot over Buku. Sweet shouldn't even be in the conversation.

So your happy with our forward structure with Naughton as our sole target inside 50?

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:10 AM
If it makes you feel any better I was second top scorer in the entire league in under 16's and when I rocked up to play the Grand Final in a 1 v 2 showdown the officials wouldn't let me play because I didn't sign the score sheet after the first game of the season.

Man that sucks.

Tiddlywinks has always been known for being over-officiated but that's just ridiculous.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:13 AM

That's shizen! When little people get power they go a bit crazy.

I was leading goal kicker 1998,1999.

No trophy.

Didnt affect me, at all, I mean nothing, I'm fine, who needs a trophy anyway?

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:13 AM

I think he did very little against WCE to maintain his place, barely contributing in a 100 point win against two very ordinary rucks.

Schache forward helps out Naughton, and while he won't get many hit outs he can at least cover the ground relatively quickly all day which I don't think Sweet can.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:14 AM

Rather than focus on Sweets stats I focus on what else he brings to the team. Interestingly the one stat you should judge Sweet on is one you neglected to mention. 16 hit outs.

Structure wise you have a point. That forward line was a joke against the cats. Even when we had control it was useless.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:16 AM
I think he did very little against WCE to maintain his place, barely contributing in a 100 point win against two very ordinary rucks.

Schache forward helps out Naughton, and while he won't get many hit outs he can at least cover the ground relatively quickly all day which I don't think Sweet can.

Schache has definitely earned a crack now.

Sweet probably had similar stats to other forwards? I haven't looked.

Edit : Khamis had similar stats in the WCE game without the hit outs.
West, McComb, Weightman and McNeil had better games with multiple goals.

Bulldog Joe
11-06-2022, 11:30 AM
So your happy with our forward structure with Naughton as our sole target inside 50?

Schache would be more of a forward target than Sweet.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:30 AM
Structure wise you have a point. That forward line was a joke against the cats. Even when we had control it was useless.

It did kick 3, 2 and 4 goals in three quarters against a side that parked the bus. Which if you look at the averages trended at the same rate an apparently super-effective forward line did across the game. People underrate how easy Geelong's task was after quarter time and how difficult ours was, but we almost pinched the game after a disgusting effort in the first quarter.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:35 AM
It did kick 3, 2 and 4 goals in three quarters against a side that parked the bus. Which if you look at the averages trended at the same rate an apparently super-effective forward line did across the game. People underrate how easy Geelong's task was after quarter time and how difficult ours was, but we almost pinched the game after a disgusting effort in the first quarter.

Well you could argue with a better structure we would've kicked more considering the inside 50s.

Agree re cats. I hate the we got close bs to be honest I hear it so often.
Yes we got close, then guess what. Geelong did what they had to do a sealed it after defending for two quarters or more.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Well you could argue with a better structure we would've kicked more considering the inside 50s.

Yes we got close, then guess what. Geelong did what they had to do a sealed it after defending for two quarters or more.

You could also argue with a different structure we wouldn't have closed the ground down as well as we did.

Anyway, we messed things up in the first quarter and suffered the consequences of doing so.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:51 AM
You could also argue with a different structure we wouldn't have closed the ground down as well as we did.

Anyway, we messed things up in the first quarter and suffered the consequences of doing so.

touché

azabob
11-06-2022, 11:51 AM

BJ, Schache should play as a permanent forward.

I’m advocating for both to play this week. I’ve been very consistent with that in this thread.

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Man that sucks.

Tiddlywinks has always been known for being over-officiated but that's just ridiculous.

Chess you philistine. I'm an intellectual.

That's shizen! When little people get power they go a bit crazy.

I was leading goal kicker 1998,1999.

No trophy.

Didnt affect me, at all, I mean nothing, I'm fine, who needs a trophy anyway?

The guy who was the top scorer played in the other team, and the season head to head was 1-1 so it was predicted to be a rumble.

Also, they weren't going to let one of our big guys play because he wasn't wearing socks. Can you believe that? Even after I gave him my socks, they still were reluctant to let him play.

Oddly enough, the top scorer on the other team? It was his Mum that was the head official of the league and was the one making these calls. Just, what are the chances?

I've got a bunch of trophies at home, I can send you one if you like?

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:55 AM
I threw my trophies out, if I'd have known GG I'd have sent them your way.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 11:58 AM
Chess you philistine. I'm an intellectual.

The guy who was the top scorer played in the other team, and the season head to head was 1-1 so it was predicted to be a rumble.

Also, they weren't going to let one of our big guys play because he wasn't wearing socks. Can you believe that? Even after I gave him my socks, they still were reluctant to let him play.

Oddly enough, the top scorer on the other team? It was his Mum that was the head official of the league and was the one making these calls. Just, what are the chances?

I've got a bunch of trophies at home, I can send you one if you like?

How deep does the u/16 eastern league conspiracy go..! Mein gott.

Look thanks for all the trophy sharing but I've moved on... I don't even think about it.

Maybe send a picture just in case I change my mind.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2022, 01:01 PM
When Schache plays poorly, I eagerly await the calls to drop him.

I'm not saying Sweet is a great option - clearly that isn't the case - but posters using his stats v WCE don't seem to hold others to that same account (Khamis has barely touched it for weeks, Cordy still has his defenders despite never touching it).

Last week Buku played solely as second ruck - pointless.
Even if Schache spends time forward, rest assured he won't be as effective because we're also asking him to ruck (where, frankly, he sucks).

Sweets value to the side is that it allows us to keep KPP in their preferred spots.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 03:15 PM

Agree, bring Schache in

Needs to do more than 16 hitouts

No BJ said Schache to come in and support in the Fwd line

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's nice we weren't belted but comes across as fools gold and people put stock in that.

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Needs to do more than 16 hitouts

So let's drop him and not let him play again. That will do his development wonders won't it.

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 03:52 PM

I'm not saying Sweet is a great option - clearly that isn't the case - but posters using his stats v WCE don't seem to hold others to that same account (Khamis has barely touched it for weeks, Cordy still has his defenders despite never touching it).

Even if Schache spends time forward, rest assured he won't be as effective because we're also asking him to ruck (where, frankly, he sucks).

Sweets value to the side is that it allows us to keep KPP in their preferred spots.

That's it right there. If the measuring stick is Khamis last week or Cordy in half a season. Why was Sweet's game against West Coast a get him the f out of the team situation for you guys? We get nothing anyway, why not use that to develop someone so it's something.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 03:52 PM

Khamis, who I think has potential, got 3 goals when Sweet opened up the midfielders and they got the ball into the forward line quickly. What was Sweet’s reward? Being replaced in the ruck by Khamis who had never rucked at that level.

Let’s just face reality. At the club Sweet is a nonevent.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 03:57 PM
So let's drop him and not let him play again. That will do his development wonders won't it.

I just think 6 disposals is not enough in the role he plays. He can develop in the VFL, and may come good as he matures.

In 8 games of AFL, he is averaging 8 disposals a game.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 04:00 PM
Let’s just face reality. At the club Sweet is a nonevent.

If he was why would we contract him till end of next year? We need him to develop at VFL level at this stage.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 04:11 PM
I think Schache should not have been dropped after being one of the better players against Adelaide. But he got results as a forward and backman.

So now we want him as a ruckman? Schache is not a ruckman. Putting him in the ruck for 25% of the game will do two things.

1. rob the forward line of some talent.

2. give the opposition rucks a boost.

It will also put him off his game for the rest of the game (negative) and justify sending him back to the seconds for the rest of the season (a positive for the thousands who thought dropping him last time was smart).

So before I go let me simply spell it out. Schache is not a ruckman.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 04:17 PM
If he was why would we contract him till end of next year? We need him to develop at VFL level at this stage.
I watched a Vfl game earlier in the year and Martin did all the ruck work and Sweet stood in the forward pocket (approximately) and the ball didn’t go near him.

The best way to develop him is to have him as the only passenger in the firsts. Huge upside potential.

It is a fact that we have been happy to carry multiple passengers in our recent losses.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 04:20 PM
I watched a Vfl game earlier in the year and Martin did all the ruck work and Sweet stood in the forward pocket (approximately) and the ball didn’t go near him.

The best way to develop him is to have him as the only passenger in the firsts. Huge upside potential.

It is a fact that we have been happy to carry multiple passengers in our recent losses.

Perhaps in that game we were trying to develop his forward craft?

Danjul
11-06-2022, 04:25 PM
I just think 6 disposals is not enough in the role he plays. He can develop in the VFL, and may come good as he matures.

And the team has won 7 of those 8 games by an average of 9 goals.

Never happened before in the history of the club. (Made that up, should be easy to use evidence to dismiss the claim).

(The loss was 5 goals)

Danjul
11-06-2022, 04:56 PM

Sorry, my previous reply was not relevant to this comment (I misread things lately).

In 9 consecutive games this year McNeil has averaged 8 disposals a game and is in no danger of being dropped. 8 is not enough to get some players dropped.

Take out his results against the bottom teams and his disposals contribution is significantly less. ( actually he is doing worse than last year in disposals).

5 disposals in a game has been sufficient for Weightman, Scott, McNeil…… in losses. All have stayed in the team and settled and contributed more in later games. That type of patience and faith might not be wasted on Sweet either, especially when he is the only one who can fix the problem which is destroying our season.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 06:39 PM
Sorry, my previous reply was not relevant to this comment (I misread things lately).

In 9 consecutive games this year McNeil has averaged 8 disposals a game and is in no danger of being dropped. 8 is not enough to get some players dropped.

Take out his results against the bottom teams and his disposals contribution is significantly less. ( actually he is doing worse than last year in disposals).

5 disposals in a game has been sufficient for Weightman, Scott, McNeil…… in losses. All have stayed in the team and settled and contributed more in later games. That type of patience and faith might not be wasted on Sweet either, especially when he is the only one who can fix the problem which is destroying our season.

* McNeil has kicked 9 goals in 9 games and is top 15 in AFL, for tackles inside 50*
* Weightman 16 goals plus 3 GA
* Scott top 10 in AFL for linking from backline to goal

These guys play a different role than Sweet. When you are in the ruck you are roaming all over the ground and have plenty of opportunity to get alot more of the ball, and when you rest in the pocket, you have to do something not just stand there.

Even Buku in 6 games has kicked 6 goals and 13 marks.

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 07:41 PM
Not just stand there? What a joke of a thing to say!

Maybe more than 1 whole dam game playing that role he may get more opportunity to not just stand there.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 07:56 PM
Not just stand there? What a joke of a thing to say!

Maybe more than 1 whole dam game playing that role he may get more opportunity to not just stand there.

Don't take it literally.

Don't get me wrong, I just can't see it yet with Sweet.

His record

2022 Games Log for Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
D
M
G
B
T
HO

Round 11
May-28
Eagles
Win 161-60

Round 10
May-21
Suns
Win 106-87

Round 9
May-13
Magpies
Win 99-51

Round 10
May-22
Saints
Win 144-33

Round 9
May-15
Power
Win 96-77

Round 8
May-09
Blues
Win 107-91

Round 5
Apr-17
Suns
Win 118-56

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Show the stats of the players playing that backup role. It wouldn't be any better, probably worse. Also maybe disect what our midfield does when we have a real backup ruckman playing as opposed to just some random player filling in. Scores for against etc. I guarantee that small portion of Sweet vs Cordy/Khamis/Hannan we are playing better with a natural ruck.

Using invidual stats don't show the whole story and is pointless

bornadog
11-06-2022, 08:15 PM
Show the stats of the players playing that backup role. It wouldn't be any better, probably worse. Also maybe disect what our midfield does when we have a real backup ruckman playing as opposed to just some random player filling in. Scores for against etc. I guarantee that small portion of Sweet vs Cordy/Khamis/Hannan we are playing better with a natural ruck.

Using invidual stats don't show the whole story and is pointless

I am not a Cordy fan, Khamis has kicked 6 goals in 5 games and taken 13 marks.

Just accept we have a difference in opinion

G-Mo77
11-06-2022, 08:18 PM

Again I don't really care about his stats overall. Khamis is not a ruckman, not a backup ruckman either and shouldn't even be considered there. Did our team perform better when Khamis was playing ruck last week?

Danjul
11-06-2022, 08:19 PM
Don't take it literally.

Don't get me wrong, I just can't see it yet with Sweet.

His record

2022 Games Log for Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
D
M
G
B
T
HO

Round 11
May-28
Eagles
Win 161-60

Round 10
May-21
Suns
Win 106-87

Round 9
May-13
Magpies
Win 99-51

Round 10
May-22
Saints
Win 144-33

Round 9
May-15
Power
Win 96-77

Round 8
May-09
Blues
Win 107-91

Round 5
Apr-17
Suns
Win 118-56

In 7 games as first ruck he has had a 14 and 13 disposals game. That’s better than I had thought.

And none of them were the role we want him to improve in. He has only had 1 go at that.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 08:32 PM

3 of the Khamis goals were a result of Sweet’s ruck work and when he was playing as a forward. I think he has a better future, and so does the team, when he specialises as a forward.

Our problem is what the opposition does when English is not in the ruck. Personally I don’t care how much or how little Sweet does as a forward (just stay out of the way of the professional forwards). He can sit on the bench, we can carry him and be better. By that I mean not lose to Carlton, Adelaide and Port immediately after a grand final appearance. That’s a 9:3 half season. We missed out because of the second ruck policy.

azabob
11-06-2022, 08:43 PM
This season Sweet averages more hit outs than English.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2022, 08:52 PM

But Cordy / Khamis / Schache will all deliver the same output, with less ability to impact the ruck.

What's your solution?

jeemak
11-06-2022, 08:54 PM
This season Sweet averages more hit outs than English.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6345&pid2=6684&fid1=S&fid2=S

Probably a good indication of why we don't just rely on one stat alone to compare players.

My thoughts are with Sweet vs. West Coast was that he didn't really offer any help around the ground in a game we had ascendency in from the word go. On the eye he looked to spill opportunities to handle the footy, but that's my hazy memory.

I would suggest he struggles to do the running required as a second ruck/ forward (at the right pace), which is why I suspect we also saw Khamis play such little time and won't see him in the second ruck role again (hopefully). I don't think Schache is a great option as a second ruck but he can run all day and has the tank to stay on the ground and get up and down the ground on the ball or forward.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 08:56 PM
But Cordy / Khamis / Schache will all deliver the same output, with less ability to impact the ruck.

What's your solution?

I just posted my reasoning why I think Schache might be selected, and why Sweet and Khamis shouldn't. We also know Cordy can run all day but struggles to get his hands on the footy when playing forward and isn't a great ruck either.

Right or wrong the way we play requires the second ruck/ forward to be extremely mobile, and I think that counts against Sweet.

Now if English wasn't holding us over a barrel as I suspect he might be, he'd be the perfect second ruck but we are where we are.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2022, 09:01 PM
I just posted my reasoning why I think Schache might be selected, and why Sweet and Khamis shouldn't. We also know Cordy can run all day but struggles to get his hands on the footy when playing forward and isn't a great ruck either.

Right or wrong the way we play requires the second ruck/ forward to be extremely mobile, and I think that counts against Sweet.

Now if English wasn't holding us over a barrel as I suspect he might be, he'd be the perfect second ruck but we are where we are.

I agree in why Schache fits the mould but why hasn't he been selected so far? WTF were we thinking last week with Khamis? You can almost guarantee Schache won't work so I wonder how long until we change it up again?

Every week we make it up. I wish we'd settle on a structure we can work on. It doesn't mean it'll work every week, but put confidence into something sustainable.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2022, 09:03 PM
Just on Schache, his ability to cover the ground is overrated IMO - maybe not in terms of distance as I'd need to check the facts - but I feel he's got this tag as somebody who can run all day... But I've never really seen it. He's also one of the slowest at the elite level.

azabob
11-06-2022, 09:17 PM
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6345&pid2=6684&fid1=S&fid2=S

Probably a good indication of why we don't just rely on one stat alone to compare players.

My thoughts are with Sweet vs. West Coast was that he didn't really offer any help around the ground in a game we had ascendency in from the word go. On the eye he looked to spill opportunities to handle the footy, but that's my hazy memory.

I would suggest he struggles to do the running required as a second ruck/ forward (at the right pace), which is why I suspect we also saw Khamis play such little time and won't see him in the second ruck role again (hopefully). I don't think Schache is a great option as a second ruck but he can run all day and has the tank to stay on the ground and get up and down the ground on the ball or forward.

Jee, this post was purely tongue in cheek to show the stupidity of using stats to justify why a certain player plays or not.

Stats and money are the root of all evil!

jeemak
11-06-2022, 09:17 PM
I agree in why Schache fits the mould but why hasn't he been selected so far? WTF were we thinking last week with Khamis? You can almost guarantee Schache won't work so I wonder how long until we change it up again?

Every week we make it up. I wish we'd settle on a structure we can work on. It doesn't mean it'll work every week, but put confidence into something sustainable.

I think we've been trying to find a mix that works. Or, comes as close to working as possible.

English going out probably meant Sweet was given games when he mightn't have been, and was then tried in the ruck/ forward role to the dissatisfaction of the MC. Khamis was up next, Cordy had already been tried.

Guess it's Schache's turn now.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 09:18 PM

I see what you are saying about Schache, but he has never been anything other than a total failure in the ruck. He has been a serious asset as a forward and then as a backman.

Last year the Dogs defeated Melbourne at the MCG. If I remember correctly Schache had a very good defensive role with about 17 possessions. That’s in a weakened team. Gardner was out, Keath went down in the opening minutes, and one of the good running players was out ,Treloar.

What Schache was asked to do was within his skill set and he did it well. There’s too much risk of wasting his talent if he is wasting his time in the ruck.

In that game English had 6 kicks, 11 handball and 14 hitouts .Yes, this was a poor day for him but nobody cared. We won.

Use Schache forward or back, and give Sweet some time to learn how to be second ruck. If English is half as good as people say he is this year I don’t see any risk against GWS.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 09:19 PM
Jee, this post was purely tongue in cheek to show the stupidity of using stats to justify why a certain player plays or not.

Stats and money are the root of all evil!

Sorry mate. I have a family WhatsApp group going bananas at rival uncle and auntie level that is blowing my mind over the Smith white substance affair, so there's not a lot of capacity leftover to figure out what's going on here when it comes to subtlety.

Danjul
11-06-2022, 09:25 PM
I think we've been trying to find a mix that works. Or, comes as close to working as possible.

English going out probably meant Sweet was given games when he mightn't have been, and was then tried in the ruck/ forward role to the dissatisfaction of the MC. Khamis was up next, Cordy had already been tried.

Guess it's Schache's turn now.
I can see what we are doing. We are proving nobody is suitable apart from Daniel who will be the last player standing.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 09:26 PM
I see what you are saying about Schache, but he has never been anything other than a total failure in the ruck. He has been a serious asset as a forward and then as a backman.

Last year the Dogs defeated Melbourne at the MCG. If I remember correctly Schache had a very good defensive role with about 17 possessions. That’s in a weakened team. Gardner was out, Keath went down in the opening minutes, and one of the good running players was out ,Treloar.

What Schache was asked to do was within his skill set and he did it well. There’s too much risk of wasting his talent if he is wasting his time in the ruck.

In that game English had 6 kicks, 11 handball and 14 hitouts .Yes, this was a poor day for him but nobody cared. We won.

Use Schache forward or back, and give Sweet some time to learn how to be second ruck. If English is half as good as people say he is this year I don’t see any risk against GWS.

Conversely, when Sweet was asked to do something outside of his skill set he did poorly. When asked to do something within it, he did relatively well.

Unfortunately we have a guy who clearly won't want to play for us if he doesn't play first ruck, and that means we need to find somebody to play the role he actually excels at, which is ruck/ forward. If we knew this before the trade period it'd be disappointing to learn we didn't do enough about it, but I guess we'll never know that.

In the meantime we have to find something that works, and with the way we play I just think that someone as immobile as Sweet is too much of a risk as forward/ ruck.

If you think differently, that's fine.

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 09:31 PM
Sorry mate. I have a family WhatsApp group going bananas at rival uncle and auntie level that is blowing my mind over the Smith white substance affair, so there's not a lot of capacity leftover to figure out what's going on here when it comes to subtlety.

Not to reduce this to Bigfooty but maybe you should post some WhatsApp screenshots?

Danjul
11-06-2022, 09:33 PM
Conversely, when Sweet was asked to do something outside of his skill set he did poorly. When asked to do something within it, he did relatively well.

Unfortunately we have a guy who clearly won't want to play for us if he doesn't play first ruck, and that means we need to find somebody to play the role he actually excels at, which is ruck/ forward. If we knew this before the trade period it'd be disappointing to learn we didn't do enough about it, but I guess we'll never know that.

In the meantime we have to find something that works, and with the way we play I just think that someone as immobile as Sweet is too much of a risk as forward/ ruck.

If you think differently, that's fine.I’m afraid you might be correct.

And if you are it’s cost us the season (or at least heading that way).

jeemak
11-06-2022, 09:34 PM
Not to reduce this to Bigfooty but maybe you should post some WhatsApp screenshots?

It's a conservative egalitarian and a Sky News acolyte conservative going at each other.

It'd set you back a bit mate, I wouldn't do it to you.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 09:37 PM
I’m afraid you might be correct.

And if you are it’s cost us the season (or at least heading that way).

Trust me, if putting two and two together and not coming up with twelve and thinking that English has done that (put us over a barrel), it puts him well back in my estimation.

I want players who will do whatever is reasonably asked of them playing for us. And being asked to play ruck/ forward versus first ruck isn't like we've asked him to sit at full back and be a dour stopper or whatever is completely different to his preferred role.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 10:07 PM

What's your solution?
I don’t believe the Ruck is our main issue.

We are the number one clearance team. We have other issues.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 10:08 PM
I don’t believe theRuck is our issue.

Isn't it OK to say it's an issue, but not the only one?

Because it can be an issue when we come up against a decent ruck combo, and it is an issue if our ruck is better suited for the team as a ruck/ forward but won't play there or he'll leave.....

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 10:32 PM
It's a conservative egalitarian and a Sky News acolyte conservative going at each other.

It'd set you back a bit mate, I wouldn't do it to you.

Pearl clutchers tears are like blood is to Dracula for me. Post away.

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 10:35 PM
Pearl clutchers tears are like blood is to Dracula for me. Post away.

I just clutched my pearls.

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 10:48 PM
I just clutched my pearls.

https://i.postimg.cc/8cZqCtdM/michael-jackson-dance.gif (https://postimages.org/)

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:03 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/8cZqCtdM/michael-jackson-dance.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Innocent. I mean I get he explicitly told everyone he was bad in a song and named an album to get the message across.........but he was the victim.

bornadog
11-06-2022, 11:03 PM
Isn't it OK to say it's an issue, but not the only one?

Because it can be an issue when we come up against a decent ruck combo, and it is an issue if our ruck is better suited for the team as a ruck/ forward but won't play there or he'll leave.....

Ok, added the word main issue.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 11:05 PM
Ok, added the word main issue.

Thank you. Now get back to work.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-06-2022, 11:16 PM
I don’t believe the Ruck is our main issue.

Good successful teams clearly have an advantage playing two genuine ruck men.
I agree with you that we have other problems by playing just one tall forward and the lack of a quality key defender.
The off field behaviour of both Hunter and now Bailey Smith is not helping our cause.

merantau
13-06-2022, 08:08 AM
I'm usually an optimist but I'm starting to think that this is going to be another wasted year. We started poorly and have struggled all year to date. The same old problems haunt us - ruck, goal kicking, game plan, injuries, delivery inside fifty, being easy to score against - and now Bailey Smith is gone for a month.

In addition some of our big guns have not had the expected impact for whatever reason - Bont, Naughton, Daniel.

Furthermore, two players who I think can play, and should be played until they prove they can't play, are not being picked. I'm talking Schache and JUH. I'ts not as if others are knocking the door down so why not stick with them for the rest of the year? At least we will find out if they are going to make it and we won't have to repeat the exercise next year.

Fact is, from now on in, every game is a must win. The next few months are going to be exhausting for emotionally invested souls. Come on Dogs. Let's get rolling.

MrMahatma
13-06-2022, 02:40 PM
Only starting to think it's going to be a waste of a year?

I still think we can get going and HOPE we make finals. However, it's felt like a likely waste of a year since about round 4 or 5.

merantau
13-06-2022, 08:44 PM
Only starting to think it's going to be a waste of a year?

I still think we can get going and HOPE we make finals. However, it's felt like a likely waste of a year since about round 4 or 5.

I said I was an optimist! I really thought we were going to beat Geelong and that would have put us in a reasonable position at half way. Games aren't going our way either. The Swans beat Melbourne. Collinwood won today. Richmond won. Hawthorn lost. Carlton won. Only the St. KILDA result went our way.
We are becoming more and more reliant on upsets. I'm not happy.

MrMahatma
13-06-2022, 09:29 PM
I said I was an optimist! I really thought we were going to beat Geelong and that would have put us in a reasonable position at half way. Games aren't going our way either. The Swans beat Melbourne. Collinwood won today. Richmond won. Hawthorn lost. Carlton won. Only the St. KILDA result went our way.
We are becoming more and more reliant on upsets. I'm not happy.

We either don’t make finals or we win the flag, cause if we get there will be legit in form!

bornadog
15-06-2022, 10:27 AM
From AFL.com.au

The Dogs will make at least one change with suspended superstar Bailey Smith to miss the next two rounds and possibly more after photos emerged of him with an illicit substance. Coming off the bye, the Dogs have no new injuries, but Luke Beveridge might look at mixing things up after a disappointing loss to Geelong last start. An extra tall to give Tim English a chop out in the ruck might be on the cards with Jordon Sweet and Josh Schache potential options. Experienced heads Mitch Wallis, Hayden Crozier and Jason Johannisen will also be in the mix, although the latter may need an extra week in the VFL. Buku Khamis, Lachlan McNeil, Anthony Scottand Robbie McComb were all quiet against the Cats and might be squeezed out.

R12 medical substitute: Mitch Wallis (unused)

Verdict: Schache, Wallis and Crozier in for Smith, McNeil and Khamis – Ben Sutton

Happy Days
15-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Hunter and Bruce are both back…in the VFL.

Missed if Bevo got asked about who would replace Baz in amongst the 100 or so questions about how his head is doing.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 11:27 AM

Missed if Bevo got asked about who would replace Baz in amongst the 100 or so questions about how his head is doing.

Good to hear Hunter and Bruce back

G-Mo77
15-06-2022, 05:50 PM

He didn't say, I'm listening to it now.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 06:15 PM
McNeil and TOB back today after missing a week due to Covid.

Do they play?

G-Mo77
15-06-2022, 06:39 PM

Do they play?

If it was anything like the week I went through with Covid then no.

Seriously though, it sounded like it was just precautionary and not actually Covid.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2022, 07:22 PM
A Bulldogs FB site claiming we have won 7 out of 8 games that Sweet played.

G-Mo77
15-06-2022, 07:31 PM

It's true I believe

Danjul
15-06-2022, 07:32 PM
By an average of 9 goals per game.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2022, 07:37 PM
It's true I believe

Interesting site claiming two anonymous greats from 60s picking the side. Clearly they do not agree with the clubs team selections.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 07:37 PM
He's the magic man!

G-Mo77
15-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Interesting site claiming two anonymous greats from 60s picking the side. Clearly they do not agree with the clubs team selections.

Not many do.

Danjul
15-06-2022, 09:01 PM
Don't buy a bulldog until breed is reshaped
headline on BBC website today.

Axe Man
16-06-2022, 10:10 AM

Do they play?

If it was anything like the week I went through with Covid then no.

Seriously though, it sounded like it was just precautionary and not actually Covid.

I just had Covid and was barely sick at all. Such a wide range of symptoms and experiences for different people so hard to say. Chances are being young and fit they should be ok.