PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2022 vs West Coast

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2022, 05:53 PM
This is the Round 11, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against West Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2022, 11:46 PM
Bankers

1. Tim. Again, the context being an inexperienced West Coast ruck corp, but that is a hell of a performance by Big Chilli. If that's the level he can get to against the big teams, he may very well be positioned to be our most important player.

2. Rhylee West... really making a strong case for best 22. His decision making, incisive handballs in tight to go with his core body strength. Did himself justice by kicking straight with 2 goals.

3. Libba's clearance work was sublime. I could watch highlights of Libba deftly getting a footy out of a pack all day.

Anchors
1. Keath smiling after kicking his second, must surely be the pretext for some karmic correction in some realm. I fear, right now, somewhere in the multiverse, a usually peaceable, pleasant PE teacher has suddenly and inexplicably started maniacally flicking some poor fat kid running last in laps around the gym, with a towel. This is the toll the universe requires as recompense for Keath's irresponsible expression of joy. For shame Keathy, for shame.

bornadog
29-05-2022, 12:15 AM
Bankers

1. Destroying WC with team effort and 16 individual goal kickers.

2. Naughton's marking, love it, even when he looks out of position, he still gets there.

3. Tim English, we missed him and another great game.

Anchors

1. Six set shots missed - unforgivable a couple of them.

That is it.

westbulldog
29-05-2022, 12:27 AM
Bankers
1. Naughton - as dangerous on the ground as in the air.
2. West - possibly his best game, in and under, 2 goals and other goal assists.
3. Williams - is regaining his best form and is a potential weapon coming off the wing.

Anchors
1. agree with Bornadog six set shots missed - unforgivable a couple of them. Could have been 2 or 3 more goals from variously Treloar, Bont, Khamis, Naughton and Weightman
2. Sweet - did nothing tonight, needs to improve on that.

G-Mo77
29-05-2022, 07:44 AM
3. Libba's clearance work was sublime. I could watch highlights of Libba deftly getting a footy out of a pack all day.

There was a kick in the 1st I think, straight out of the middle and looked to come off the side of his boot in real time and hit Dunkley on the chest. Replay showed he meant to do it, I was pretty impressed and really didn't think the commentary team sold it enough.

Mantis
29-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Bankers-

1/ Timmy - About as dominant a performance as you could have… Strong in the ruck and played liked an extra mid. Would like him to find the front position more at the throw-ins, but his improvement this year has been fantastic.

2/ Treloar - ran hard and looked dangerous with ball in hand, probably should’ve kicked 4… putting together a very consistent year.

3/ Bailey Williams - settling in to the wing role and hitting the scoreboard. Good to see him with a smile on his face as I think he was spooked by his bad 1st qtr in the GF… onwards & upwards.

Anchors -

Hard to be too critical after a 100 point win, but I’ll try my best.

1/ Gardner - looked like a rabbit in the headlights with ball in hand. Needs to find some composure.

2/ Sweet & Khamis - on a night to fill your boots they were largely non-existent.

bornadog
29-05-2022, 11:17 AM
1/ Gardner - looked like a rabbit in the headlights with ball in hand. Needs to find some composure.

He better find some form next week with Cameron and Hawkins lurking.

comrade
29-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Probably reading too much into it, but when Williams kicked his first he let out a bit of a primal scream. Given it was the scene of his GF nightmare, hopefully he put some demons to rest last night.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2022, 11:43 AM
He better find some form next week with Cameron and Hawkins lurking.

To me Gardner has improved all round.

Mantis
29-05-2022, 11:44 AM
To me Gardner has improved all round.

He has, but he was poor last night… we need a solid performance from him against Geelong.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2022, 11:47 AM
He has, but he was poor last night… we need a solid performance from him against Geelong.

In his presser Bevo said how important he is to the structure of the team....or words to that effect. Seemed happy with him.

bornadog
29-05-2022, 11:54 AM
In his presser Bevo said how important he is to the structure of the team....or words to that effect. Seemed happy with him.

I agree with Mantis that he wasn't at his best last night and next week is going to be tough. Gave away 3 free kicks which he shouldn't have.

Mantis
29-05-2022, 12:05 PM

He’s very importantly to our structure, but when in congestion last night he either got caught or turn the ball over… wasn’t costly against an extremely poor team, but he needs to be surer against the good teams.

hujsh
29-05-2022, 12:31 PM
Bankers-

1/ Timmy - About as dominant a performance as you could have… Strong in the ruck and played liked an extra mid. Would like him to find the front position more at the throw-ins, but his improvement this year has been fantastic.

2/ Treloar - ran hard and looked dangerous with ball in hand, probably should’ve kicked 4… putting together a very consistent year.

3/ Bailey Williams - settling in to the wing role and hitting the scoreboard. Good to see him with a smile on his face as I think he was spooked by his bad 1st qtr in the GF… onwards & upwards.

Anchors -

Hard to be too critical after a 100 point win, but I’ll try my best.

2/ Sweet & Khamis - on a night to fill your boots they were largely non-existent.

Yeah. I don't hate him trying to take on the game and be a bit creative but he needs to take the first option more rather than get caught out in dangerous positions.

azabob
29-05-2022, 01:03 PM
Bankers

1. Aaron Naughton. I love the way he goes about it. I love the fact that he loves it when his fellow forwards kicks a goal just as much as when he kicks it himself. Josh Bruce has certainly had a positive impact on Naughton as a player and as a teammate.

2. Adam Treloar: I don't think we realise how good this bloke is.

3. Tom Liberatore: Gee whiz... isn't this bloke meant to be on his last legs?

Anchors

1. Gee whiz Ryan Gardner is extremely slow to dispose of the ball in congested traffic

2. Jeemak for not truly agreeing with me on Rylee West team first mentality. Out of interest Jee what did you see that you didn't like about young Rylee's game?

SquirrelGrip
29-05-2022, 05:16 PM

Gardner shut out Kennedy last night whilst Keath struggled to spoil Darling. Gardner isn’t measured about when he has ball in hand, it’s his spoils and defence that count.

Bullies
29-05-2022, 08:40 PM
Gardner shut out Kennedy last night whilst Keath struggled to spoil Darling. Gardner isn’t measured about when he has ball in hand, it’s his spoils and defence that count. It wouldn't matter if we lost and Gardner wasn't playing they would still blame him.

One of the most improved players going around in his position for the number of games played.

Mantis
29-05-2022, 10:21 PM
It wouldn't matter if we lost and Gardner wasn't playing they would still blame him.

One of the most improved players going around in his position for the number of games played.

Who is ‘they’?

bornadog
30-05-2022, 12:03 AM
It wouldn't matter if we lost and Gardner wasn't playing they would still blame him.

Every player can cop some criticism. No one is saying Gardner wasn't any good. He made some mistakes, gave away several free kicks, so he needs to tighten up next week, as Cameron or Hawkins will make us pay.

1eyedog
30-05-2022, 12:18 AM

Still panics in high pressure situations. Is improving defensively though.

ratsmac
30-05-2022, 02:37 AM
Bankers

1. Putting a team like West Coast to the sword. The boys still have that killer instinct when it's there for the taking. We needed the percentage boost and the boys delivered

2. Rhylee West for being a chip off the old block. His hands in tight are so good. Often spots a target out of congestion. The goal assist to doc was sublime.

3. McNeil for making me eat my words from a couple weeks ago where I said I didn't care if he pulled on our jumper ever again. He has had a solid couple of weeks in a position that is hard to play.

Anchors

1. Sweet. Struggled to get involved. I know he's only young but coming off last week where I thought he played his role well, I thought he was too quiet.

2. Buku. A bit like Sweet, he's young and couldn't get involved. It's harsh to Anchor pups but trying to find negatives when you win by a 100+ is difficult.

Ozza
30-05-2022, 02:14 PM
Bankers:

West - The biggest factor holding him back from getting games is that he can turn the ball over. Currently he's going at 88% which is 6th in the league. Well done on the improvement here. He'll never be a penetrating kick or silky distributor, but he has clearly listened and worked on it. We all know about his toughness, which was awesome on the night. 2 goals and 3 goal assists.

Williams - Doing a great job adjusting to a role on the wing.

Treloar - Is flying the last few weeks.

Anchors:

Sweet - just doesn't have a position if he isn't first ruck. Understandable that he had to play given English being a risk after being out for a while.

Extra Banker: Good effort from the club having Arthur Jones head over and toss the coin. The kid was ecstatic and the way the players got around him a brilliant showing of how they are as a group.