PDA

View Full Version : It's all falling apart for the Dees

The bulldog tragician
07-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Two losses and then this. Could they implode?? We can hope, surely…

Article 1:

Melbourne players Steven May and Jake Melksham have been slammed by the club after an incident at a posh Prahran restaurant.
The players clashed at 9pm Sunday at Entrecote restaurant, on a weekend when May was out with concussion.

He has been suspended for a week by the club.

The Herald Sun put questions to the Demons last night about the incident, with the club releasing a statement just after 11.30am today.

Melbourne general manager of football performance Alan Richardson said the club was incredibly disappointed by the incident.

“Following a dinner on Sunday evening, Jake and Steven informed us of a scuffle that took place after a lighthearted disagreement between the pair escalated,” he said.

“Both Jake and Steven had been drinking at dinner and are incredibly remorseful that things played out the way they did. Melbourne players Steven May and Jake Melksham have been slammed by the club after an incident at a posh Prahran restaurant.

The players clashed at 9pm Sunday at Entrecote restaurant, on a weekend when May was out with concussion.

He has been suspended for a week by the club.

The Herald Sun put questions to the Demons last night about the incident, with the club releasing a statement just after 11.30am today.

Melbourne general manager of football performance Alan Richardson said the club was incredibly disappointed by the incident.

“Following a dinner on Sunday evening, Jake and Steven informed us of a scuffle that took place after a lighthearted disagreement between the pair escalated,” he said.

“Both Jake and Steven had been drinking at dinner and are incredibly remorseful that things played out the way they did.

Article 2:

Demons president Kate Roffey lampooned Melbourne’s coaches and players in a series of brutal text messages fired off during a 2020 form slump.

The SMS conversations between then-director Roffey and then-president Glen Bartlett shed new light on the inner turmoil plaguing the club in the months prior to its march to last year’s premiership.

Texts reveal Roffey accusing the coaches of being too soft and having no idea, saying “feathers need to be ruffled and … some of them probably plucked”, as well as questioning whether the players were too “immature” and couldn’t cope with “critical feedback”.

The emergence of the texts come just weeks after Bartlett launched defamation action against several AFL journalists from The Age and Nine Entertainment.
reveal what was happening behind the scenes at the club.

The view peddled in the aftermath of Bartlett’s exit as president was that he had lost the support of the football department and most directors after he had publicly lambasted the team in mid-2020.

But the Herald Sun revealed in February that from late 2020 until his departure as president in April last year, there had been a major disagreement between Bartlett and other senior club figures, including CEO Gary Pert, regarding concerns about alleged bullying and behavioural issues involving coach Simon Goodwin.

In February 2021, the board even considered standing down Goodwin, amid a major investigation.

AFL chiefs Gillon McLachlan and Richard Goyder met with Bartlett and then vice-president Mohan Jesudason to discuss the crisis.

Now, texts sent by Roffey to Bartlett, who she replaced as president, reveal she had been unrelenting in her criticism of the players in mid-2020.

Despite presenting herself as a unifying figure at the club, the messages expose Roffey also being highly critical of the coaching team, even encouraging Bartlett to remove people within the football department.

At 5.57am on the morning after a heavy loss to Port Adelaide in Brisbane in July, Roffey texted: “Absolutely appalling and no excuse. Something is seriously not working right across the whole system. Time for a reality check I think.”

bornadog
07-06-2022, 03:32 PM
Plus supporters don't bother showing up. Mt Bulla did open a week early :D

Sedat
07-06-2022, 03:47 PM
I'd much rather have seen May's hamstring ripped off the bone after 3-4 Naughton leads in the first 10 mins of the GF last year. I could care less about May's off-field indiscretion in mid 2022 - he's a premiership hero now.

azabob
07-06-2022, 03:51 PM
Two losses and then this. Could they implode?? We can hope, surely…

I heard they were arguing over should the steak be cooked well done, medium or rare.

It then escalated when Melkhsam and May started arguing what the special green sauce was and if it should be served on the side or on the steak.

Rumour has it Easty was also there giving his 2-bobs worth.

bornadog
07-06-2022, 03:57 PM
I heard they were arguing over should the steak be cooked well done, medium or rare.

It then escalated when Melkhsam and May started arguing the special green sauce and if it should be served on the side or on the steak.

When Easty said well done, May threw a punch :D

comrade
07-06-2022, 04:06 PM

It then escalated when Melkhsam and May started arguing the special green sauce and if it should be served on the side or on the steak.

Gotta love it when a WOOF inside joke hits the mark!

Grantysghost
07-06-2022, 04:40 PM

Haha magnificent.

G-Mo77
07-06-2022, 04:40 PM
You'd think they would have given May a bonus fot belting Melksham.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2022, 08:57 PM
The Herald Sun reported May told Melksham: “If you had have played in the granny (grand final) we would have lost.”

“It is claimed that Melksham then “floored” 190cm May with one punch in retaliation,” the report added.

jazzadogs
07-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Haha that's not bad from May.

Let's also not forget premiership heroes Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy were both suspended halfway through 2016 for a similar incident - so the issues might not be as deep as they seem.

Grantysghost
07-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Haha that's not bad from May.

Let's also not forget premiership heroes Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy were both suspended halfway through 2016 for a similar incident - so the issues might not be as deep as they seem.

Didn't Zaine say something about his salary?

GVGjr
07-06-2022, 09:23 PM
It won't impact Melbourne other than suspending May.

G-Mo77
07-06-2022, 09:32 PM
The Herald Sun reported May told Melksham: “If you had have played in the granny (grand final) we would have lost.”

“It is claimed that Melksham then “floored” 190cm May with one punch in retaliation,” the report added.

Hahaha. That one definitely left a burn on Melksham. (If true)

Everyone saying Melbourne are imploding. This incident won't effect them at all in the long run. Those who have played at a footy club there is always someone you don't get along with off field, this appears to be one of those cases.

GVGjr
07-06-2022, 09:35 PM
Hahaha. That one definitely left a burn on Melksham. (If true)

Everyone saying Melbourne are imploding. This incident won't effect them at all in the long run. Those who have played at a footy club there is always someone you don't get along with off field, this appears to be one of those cases.

Agree, it's just a distraction and I doubt it's a deep seated challenge for the club.

jeemak
07-06-2022, 09:44 PM
The big issue here is the Little Paper getting involved in the height debate and quoting May as only being 190cm when everyone knows that whilst not tall enough to be a real key defender he's actually 193cm.

EasternWest
07-06-2022, 10:12 PM
You'd think they would have given May a bonus fot belting Melksham.

Not Jake "really knows how to hold them up" Melksham?

Grantysghost
07-06-2022, 11:24 PM
Not Jake "really knows how to hold them up" Melksham?

Was a junior boxing champion haven't you heard?

EasternWest
07-06-2022, 11:37 PM
Was a junior boxing champion haven't you heard?

Never been mentioned.

azabob
08-06-2022, 09:20 AM
Well clearly Steven May hadn't heard about Jakey boys prowess with boxing.

comrade
08-06-2022, 10:00 AM
Some leader May is, belittling an experienced (albeit fringe) player like that. Similar vibes to them slinging shit at Hannan last year.

Talent wise, their list is the best in the league. Character wise, they’re slumming it.

azabob
08-06-2022, 10:07 AM
Some leader May is, belittling an experienced (albeit fringe) player like that. Similar vibes to them slinging shit at Hannan last year.

Talent wise, their list is the best in the league. Character wise, they’re slumming it.

This is May though. He had the same issues at Gold Coast.

azabob
08-06-2022, 10:31 AM
Now being report Melksham has had to have an operation on his hand due to an infection when he punched May

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Now being report Melksham has had to have an operation on his hand due to an infection when he punched May

How odd.

bornadog
08-06-2022, 10:50 AM

Morons the both of them

1eyedog
08-06-2022, 11:12 AM
Shades of Cordy v Boyd of a few years ago.

MrMahatma
08-06-2022, 01:17 PM

How does it get infected? Unless maybe he got some tooth in there or something? Random.

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 01:24 PM
How does it get infected? Unless maybe he got some tooth in there or something? Random.

I was in a game many years ago where a team mate belted an opposition player and quickly went off with an injury to his hand.
The opposition player was looking around and asking had anyone seen his 'toof' when it was actually embedded in my teams mates hand. He also got off the striking charge as the umpire's report was specific saying he hit him with his right hand when it was his left.

My team mates hand blew up quickly and he missed the following week. Should have got 6 weeks for the punch.

jeemak
08-06-2022, 01:54 PM
It's pretty crook stuff. I mean the Cordy and Boyd stuff wasn't great, but this is on a different level.

A player out of the game due to concussion protocols, gets drunk which isn't ideal when recovering from concussion, and then gets hit in the head which is less than ideal when recovering from concussion.

And the person who did the hitting is having hand surgery due to an infection from the punch (if you believe that).

It's great stuff.

The bulldog tragician
08-06-2022, 03:00 PM
It's pretty crook stuff. I mean the Cordy and Boyd stuff wasn't great, but this is on a different level.

A player out of the game due to concussion protocols, gets drunk which isn't ideal when recovering from concussion, and then gets hit in the head which is less than ideal when recovering from concussion.

And the person who did the hitting is having hand surgery due to an infection from the punch (if you believe that).

It's great stuff.

It's been publicly acknowledged by Melbourne that this is the case.

Dry Rot
08-06-2022, 03:30 PM
This is May though. He had the same issues at Gold Coast.

Hm, tell me more....

Dry Rot
08-06-2022, 03:37 PM
I am defending both Demons players.

The whole team has punchable faces so it was inevitable that this would happen, even by their own team mates.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 03:37 PM
I am defending both Demons players.

The whole team has punchable faces so it was inevitable that this would happen, even by their own team mates.

Just a shame it wasn't Fritsch.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 04:03 PM
Hm, tell me more....

Gold Coast sacks Campbell Brown after assault on teammate Steven May - https://www.afl.com.au/news/58998

MrMahatma
08-06-2022, 04:30 PM
And this:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-steven-may-to-apologise-to-melbourne-players-after-drinkingrelated-indiscretion/news-story/ff231391d19de476b5324a65889ced2f

Happy Days
08-06-2022, 04:54 PM
I think May is the best player in the entire competiton, but he seems like a meathead bully. Remember him bagging Mitch Hannan for playing at Casey? It’s the exact same mean-spirited “banter” that only goes one way where the target doesn’t really have a right of reply, and I think the Dees not suspending Melksham for clipping him shows that this might be a pattern of behaviour that the team is sick of.

Or maybe its just that no one wants Melksham’s hands. Who knew that he can actually throw?

bornadog
08-06-2022, 05:09 PM
I think May is the best player in the entire competiton, but he seems like a meathead bully. Remember him bagging Mitch Hannan for playing at Casey? It’s the exact same mean-spirited “banter” that only goes one way where the target doesn’t really have a right of reply, and I think the Dees not suspending Melksham for clipping him shows that this might be a pattern of behaviour that the team is sick of.

Or maybe its just that no one wants Melksham’s hands. Who knew that he can actually throw?

All the players received the same punishment for the indiscretion, ie community service.

May was suspended for a game because he was under concussion protocols and wasn't allowed to drink.

From the outside looking in, May looks like he is always an angry man. I think he has other issues floating in his head, but this is just a guess.

Grantysghost
08-06-2022, 05:53 PM

He maybe wanted to fight the dogs at the Perth nightclub. He's a dickhead.

azabob
08-06-2022, 08:21 PM
The more that comes out the more it seems like May is a terrible teammate

GVGjr
08-06-2022, 08:59 PM
So Melksham stepped in because the comment was made to Smith not him.

EasternWest
08-06-2022, 09:25 PM

If only it had been broadcast at some point.

So wait, I have to like Melksham now?

azabob
08-06-2022, 09:56 PM

I’m also reading between the lines that May was having a go at most of the players there.

bornadog
09-06-2022, 12:18 AM
I’m also reading between the lines that May was having a go at most of the players there.

Is he secretly Stringer

ratsmac
10-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Going by what May said I wish Melksham have of played in the GF!

Jeanette54
10-06-2022, 02:04 PM
Melbourne, courtesy of May and Melksham, are getting a few column inches at present, but also drawing more because of an internal stoush some time ago which, apparently, involved the AFL and Melbourne's management. Luckily for them the premiership will paper over the cracks, and whatever the incident was will be forgotten.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2022, 12:54 PM
People in glass houses.....

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 02:06 PM
Call me a millennial bozo but punching on with teammates at Entrecôte is way more toxic and gross than taking a selfie with a packet.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 02:09 PM
Call me a millennial bozo but punching on with teammates at Entrecôte is way more toxic and gross than taking a selfie with a packet.

I agree entirely. But footy's an old fashioned game, and boys will be boys after all.

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 02:38 PM

I agree with you but can I still call you a millennial bozo anyway?

Bulldog4life
11-06-2022, 02:48 PM
Last year 3 Melbourne Storm players were suspended for one match and a fine after video of them and the white powder.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2021-melbourne-storm-white-powder-video-ceo-justin-rodksi-response-001637172.html

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 02:52 PM
I agree with you but can I still call you a millennial bozo anyway?

Sorry but no. You either have to agree with me or fight me in a wanker restaurant.

Bulldog4life
11-06-2022, 02:55 PM
Last year 3 Melbourne Storm players were suspended for one match and a fine after video of them and the white powder.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2021-melbourne-storm-white-powder-video-ceo-justin-rodksi-response-001637172.html

Sorry wrong thread.

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Sorry but no. You either have to agree with me or fight me in a wanker restaurant.

Honestly I'd be happy to do both those things.

azabob
11-06-2022, 03:43 PM

Honestly I'd be happy to do both those things.

Are the Yarraville cricket nets wanker enough?

EasternWest
11-06-2022, 03:49 PM

We will make it so.

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 03:51 PM

Depends if the BBQ is on.

ReLoad
11-06-2022, 04:14 PM

But the herb sauce on the steak frites is Devine………..

Grantysghost
11-06-2022, 04:26 PM
I didn’t realise you were a millennial.

Happy Days
11-06-2022, 09:28 PM
I didn’t realise you were a millennial.

I think I am but I’m not certain where the cutoff is. I need Greystache to come back and pot me for supporting gay marriage or something to be sure.

jeemak
11-06-2022, 10:01 PM
I think I am but I’m not certain where the cutoff is. I need Greystache to come back and pot me for supporting gay marriage or something to be sure.

I got a belly laugh out of that.

Grantysghost
12-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Banter is a part of footy clubs but this seems like a particularly toxic version. Kind of validates for me what we've known about these guys for a while and that "freedfromdesiregate" was a thing.
Also makes me annoyed at our Rd 1 effort.

“There was a comment when they sat down which was made to Joel Smith saying ‘this (dinner) is the best thing you’ve done all year’, made tongue in cheek,” McClure said on 3AW’s Sportsday.

“Then a different teammate to the person who made the first comment stepped in and said ‘I’ll go further than that, it’s the best thing you did since you were injured in the final’ because (Smith’s injury) opened doors for other players to come in (and play in the Grand Final).

“That’s where Jake Melksham said to pull (the comments) back and it’s there where Steven May took umbrage with the Jake Melksham comment and basically said ‘how would you know (how we talk to each other), you usually play in the twos’.”

soupman
12-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Geez they sound fun

MrMahatma
12-06-2022, 12:12 PM
Can this thread still exist?

bornadog
12-06-2022, 02:46 PM
Geez they sound fun

So immature.

hujsh
14-06-2022, 05:10 PM
I got a belly laugh out of that.

I think it's why I logged back onto WOOF.

bornadog
14-06-2022, 06:12 PM
Gawn today, moon boot and sore back

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVMVwyWUAAA1_gI?format=jpg&name=medium

azabob
14-06-2022, 07:39 PM
Reports indicating a potential syndesmosias for Gawn.

That would be a massive long term out if he’s fractured that bone.

Twodogs
14-06-2022, 08:47 PM
I was in a game many years ago where a team mate belted an opposition player and quickly went off with an injury to his hand.
The opposition player was looking around and asking had anyone seen his 'toof' when it was actually embedded in my teams mates hand. He also got off the striking charge as the umpire's report was specific saying he hit him with his right hand when it was his left.

My team mates hand blew up quickly and he missed the following week. Should have got 6 weeks for the punch.

I got my tooth caught in the back of my mates head when I was a little kid. We were playing a game when he stood up suddenly while I had my mouth wide open (I started that habit early) and my front teeth actually dug into his skull bone. Because he jumped around so much half of one of my teeth snapped off and as far as I know it's still there.

comrade
14-06-2022, 08:55 PM
Reports indicating a potential syndesmosias for Gawn.

That would be a massive long term out if he’s fractured that bone.

It’s a shame we chose this year to be ****house.

Grantysghost
14-06-2022, 09:01 PM
It’s a shame we chose this year to be ****house.

Can see Carlton or St kilda snatching one.

comrade
14-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Can see Carlton or St kilda snatching one.

Wouldn’t surprise if one of them made it to the GF, but can’t see either winning it. Brisbane obviously a huge chance if they can avoid Melbourne.

Grantysghost
14-06-2022, 09:26 PM
Wouldn’t surprise if one of them made it to the GF, but can’t see either winning it. Brisbane obviously a huge chance if they can avoid Melbourne.

Brisbane couldn't even win one at the Gabba! I'd back them both at the G against the Lions.

Happy Days
15-06-2022, 12:13 AM
Yeah unfortunately for Brisbane you actually have to win some finals to win a premiership.

jeemak
15-06-2022, 02:09 AM
Yeah unfortunately for Brisbane you actually have to win some finals to win a premiership.

Could you imagine the shit they'd be getting if they weren't a northern state club?

They have a structure and quality level that should warrant better performances these past couple of years.

azabob
15-06-2022, 09:13 AM
Could you imagine the shit they'd be getting if they weren't a northern state club?

They have a structure and quality level that should warrant better performances these past couple of years.

They do. Not sure what they actually lack? Coach?

Happy Days
15-06-2022, 09:56 AM
They do. Not sure what they actually lack? Coach?

Short of Neale their midfield is a little soft, and they don’t have any quality rucks to help them out. They’re trying to bring Rayner in to win more ball but any gains he brings are mitigated both by Lyons’ regression and Rayner’s own defensive weaknesses.

Its making them give up more points than ever, and Andrews hasn’t seemed to be coping with quicker ball coming in from what I’ve seen (despite being 200cm tall BAD).

I dunno. They’re still very good with the ball but I don’t trust them or anyone that could lose a final to us.

azabob
15-06-2022, 10:02 AM
Short of Neale their midfield is a little soft, and they don’t have any quality rucks to help them out. They’re trying to bring Rayner in to win more ball but any gains he brings are mitigated both by Lyons’ regression and Rayner’s own defensive weaknesses.

Its making them give up more points than ever, and Andrews hasn’t seemed to be coping with quicker ball coming in from what I’ve seen (despite being 200cm tall BAD).

I dunno. They’re still very good with the ball but I don’t trust them or anyone that could lose a final to us.

Yeah fair calls. McCluggage is a soon to be jet but needs to become more damaging on the scoreboard.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Yeah fair calls. McCluggage is a soon to be jet but needs to become more damaging on the scoreboard.
What a shame Essendon went for a midget with their undeserved number 1. Not dodos fault though!

comrade
15-06-2022, 11:31 AM
They lost to us by a point in a game that could have gone either way and would have smashed Port just like we did. They also would have put up a better fight in the GF.

bornadog
15-06-2022, 11:37 AM
They lost to us by a point in a game that could have gone either way and would have smashed Port just like we did. They also would have put up a better fight in the GF.

Although Melbourne were pretty hot last year. They demolished Geelong in the prelim by 83 points, and also beat them in round 23 when they were almost 6 goals behind at 3/4 time and produced one of those GF quarters at Kardinia Park to storm home and win by 4 points. They also beat Brissie by 33 points in the qualifying - played in Adelaide

Happy Days
15-06-2022, 11:47 AM

Based on my rough calculations they would have lost the GF by at least 75 points.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 11:53 AM

They've lost a few finals at the Gabba they shouldn't have.

That prelim v the cats mein gott!

comrade
15-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Although Melbourne were pretty hot last year. They demolished Geelong in the prelim by 83 points, and also beat them in round 23 when they were almost 6 goals behind at 3/4 time and produced one of those GF quarters at Kardinia Park to storm home and win by 4 points. They also beat Brissie by 33 points in the qualifying - played in Adelaide

Yeah, no one was beating Melbourne during the finals. They were the best side by quite a margin.

Happy Days
15-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Gawn’s out for maybe 2 months with a beard strain. How devastating.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 12:28 PM
Gawn’s out for maybe 2 months with a beard strain. How devastating

Fitzroy has an official day of mourning tomorrow.

Grantysghost
15-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Yeah, no one was beating Melbourne during the finals. They were the best side by quite a margin.

Finishing top was an extra bonus last year with the limited travel.
It was a pretty compromised finals series.

comrade
15-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Finishing top was an extra bonus last year with the limited travel.
It was a pretty compromised finals series.

It was a bonus but they earned it, clearly the best side throughout the year (and they were helped even further by the second best side imploding in the last month of the H&A).

And that finals series was as dominant as we’ve seen in recent times.

Hotdog60
15-06-2022, 06:56 PM
Will Gawn be out when we play them next?

bornadog
15-06-2022, 11:13 PM
Will Gawn be out when we play them next?

Looks like it

jeemak
15-06-2022, 11:35 PM

Agree that game could have gone either way, but again like the year before, they couldn't get it done on their home turf.

We played one of the best away preliminary finals ever seen, a bit like Adelaide's 1998.

Are you suggesting if they did get through they'd have been fresher for the grand final? That half way through the third they'd have been up by three goals (or more) and not prone to getting dismantled like we did due to fatigue and a lack of discipline?

Apart from the last forty-five minutes of the main dance our finals run was an amazing effort across the board and whilst I'll always be gutted by what happened in the grand final I won't ever take credit away from the club for putting it together.

Twodogs
16-06-2022, 11:34 AM
Agree that game could have gone either way, but again like the year before, they couldn't get it done on their home turf.

We played one of the best away preliminary finals ever seen, a bit like Adelaide's 1998.

Are you suggesting if they did get through they'd have been fresher for the grand final? That half way through the third they'd have been up by three goals (or more) and not prone to getting dismantled like we did due to fatigue and a lack of discipline?

Apart from the last forty-five minutes of the main dance our finals run was an amazing effort across the board and whilst I'll always be gutted by what happened in the grand final I won't ever take credit away from the club for putting it together.

Exactly. We travelled all over the country, overcame injuries (as opposed to Melbourne who had a charmed run most of the season) and were still 23 points up before it all caught up with us and they came over the top.

Props to the Dees they were the best team all year but to downplay our effort is a bit rough.

jazzadogs
26-08-2024, 09:16 PM
I'm sure Petracca is being discussed in trade thread but let's talk about the Dees as an organisation...I've got questions!

Does Max still think there are no cultural issues?
Why hasn't Goodwin been sacked yet?
How many years until they win a 'real premiership at the MCG in front of their fans'?

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2024, 09:29 PM
I'm sure Petracca is being discussed in trade thread but let's talk about the Dees as an organisation...I've got questions!

Does Max still think there are no cultural issues?
Why hasn't Goodwin been sacked yet?
How many years until they win a 'real premiership at the MCG in front of their fans'?

Maybe Max is the cultural issue

angelopetraglia
26-08-2024, 09:40 PM
The below is an excerpt form an article that Sam Landsberger wrote in 2000. Some of those issues that were highlighted in this piece are starting to rear their head now. Interesting obversation on X from Daniel Cherny.

Red flags emerged on Petracca.

Former Saints list manager Ameet Bains and recruiter Tony Elshaug started to question whether Petracca would fit their environment.

Why did the psych test reveal an eagerness for Petracca to promote himself ahead of teammates? Were there selfish traits?

Did his antics at the 3km time-trial ? ensuring everybody knew he was sore ? highlight immaturity? A lack of mental strength?

How come he completed extra training in isolation instead of with teammates?

Petracca seemed to enjoy attention. Would his personality blend in at St Kilda?

?We take the view that the character assessment is critical,? Bains said at the time.

?And with pick one you go to deeper lengths in terms of the people you speak to, in terms of ensuring cross references as you see it, psychologist?s reports, personality reports, interviews, speaking to whoever you think might be relevant.?

bulldogtragic
26-08-2024, 10:02 PM
So Bains isn’t after Trac then.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 10:07 PM
The below is an excerpt form an article that Sam Landsberger wrote in 2000. Some of those issues that were highlighted in this piece are starting to rear their head now. Interesting obversation on X from Daniel Cherny.

Former Saints list manager Ameet Bains and recruiter Tony Elshaug started to question whether Petracca would fit their environment.

Why did the psych test reveal an eagerness for Petracca to promote himself ahead of teammates? Were there selfish traits?

Did his antics at the 3km time-trial ? ensuring everybody knew he was sore ? highlight immaturity? A lack of mental strength?

?We take the view that the character assessment is critical,? Bains said at the time.

?And with pick one you go to deeper lengths in terms of the people you speak to, in terms of ensuring cross references as you see it, psychologist?s reports, personality reports, interviews, speaking to whoever you think might be relevant.?

Wow Bains must have an eagle eye if he scouted Petracca when he was 4!

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 10:07 PM

Petracca must get those qualities from his self proclaimed best friend Ben Simmons.

angelopetraglia
26-08-2024, 10:23 PM
Apologies.

Sam Landsberger wrote the article in 2020.

comrade
27-08-2024, 12:06 AM
To a lesser extent, we've been through all this with Dunkley. Both love the socials, and both love the US sports machine with all the player movement that goes on.

Both scenarios involved whispers around professionalism and they also both happened to play with Lachie Hunter, but perhaps that's just a coincidence...

angelopetraglia
27-08-2024, 09:26 PM
I thought the Baz stuff was bad at the Dogs. Petracca and Melbourne, hold my beer. This story has just gone nuclear in the 48 hours.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Apologies.

Sam Landsberger wrote the article in 2020.

Sorry mate, you can't take it back. You've had it in for a toddler all this time.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 10:22 PM
To a lesser extent, we've been through all this with Dunkley. Both love the socials, and both love the US sports machine with all the player movement that goes on.

Both scenarios involved whispers around professionalism and they also both happened to play with Lachie Hunter, but perhaps that's just a coincidence...

Both players have a penchant for authentic blandness as well. I saw on a cooking advert Petracca put red wine into a Bolognese after the tomatoes. Now I could understand doing so after the tomato paste, just, but after the tomatoes is just pure simple bullshit.

One of my favourite quotes on WOOF was when HD referred to Dunkley as a Netflix menu enjoyer. He and Petracca are peas in a pod.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 10:25 PM
And I appreciate how my comments above may seem superfluous, but if you just dig a bit deeper into who these people are, you realise a bit about them.

If Petracca, who if I'm not mistaken occasionally promotes his Italianism can't at least pay enough attention to detail on how to make an authentic Bolognese, then how much authentic character does he really have within him? Not much. Cheaping out on heritage for a buck.

You have to let the alcohol burn off FFS. I'm contacting Vincenzo's Plate right now to let him rage on about this.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2024, 10:34 PM
And I appreciate how my comments above may seem superfluous, but if you just dig a bit deeper into who these people are, you realise a bit about them.

If Petracca, who if I'm not mistaken occasionally promotes his Italianism can't at least pay enough attention to detail on how to make an authentic Bolognese, then how much authentic character does he really have within him? Not much. Cheaping out on heritage for a buck.

You have to let the alcohol burn off FFS. I'm contacting Vincenzo's Plate right now to let him rage on about this.

Mate if he hung out in circles with Ben Simmons it tells you all you need to know.

Grantysghost
27-08-2024, 11:43 PM

He doesn't even get constipated when he eats crostoli.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 12:05 AM
He doesn't even get constipated when he eats crostoli.

Yeah, but I still reckon he goes to the Leggos shop to make it.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 12:07 AM
Mate if he hung out in circles with Ben Simmons it tells you all you need to know.

That's ultimate shallowness. It's like he's doing the opposite when admiring down instead of punching.

G-Mo77
28-08-2024, 03:59 PM

Maybe we sent over Lachie to be our Trojan Horse?

This is a cluster**** for Melbourne. A covid cup to hang their hat on and failure after failure after carrying on like their 2021 run was like the Chicgo Bulls dynasty.

comrade
28-08-2024, 04:33 PM

This is a cluster**** for Melbourne. A covid cup to hang their hat on and failure after failure after carrying on like their 2021 run was like the Chicgo Bulls dynasty.

Some organisations just aren't set up for sustained success. Melbourne seems to fit that bill (and unfortunately, we could also be tarred with the same brush though to a lesser extent). No long term home base is such a killer, I'm so grateful to all those involved who had the vision and have made Whitten Oval the facility it has become.

Rocket Science
28-08-2024, 05:18 PM

https://i.ibb.co/6P5rS30/Screen-Shot-2024-08-28-at-4-16-42-pm.png (https://ibb.co/0M3mLgy)

jeemak
28-08-2024, 10:24 PM
I'm probably enjoying this too much......or maybe the right amount:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/petracca-airs-grievances-in-private-meeting-of-dees-leaders-20240828-p5k60z.html

Petracca airs grievances in private meeting of Dees leaders

Christian Petracca took aim at the culture of the Melbourne Football Club in a three-hour meeting of the Demons’ on-field leaders on Saturday, venting his disappointment that key people at the club had not supported him enough in the two-week period that followed his life-threatening football injury.

The meeting at a wine bar owned by Melbourne captain Max Gawn – Motor, in Hawthorn – was not arranged specifically because of the furore surrounding Petracca, who has made it clear he wants to be traded to a rival Victorian club despite having five years remaining on his contract, but it provided a forum for the superstar Demon to air his grievances with the club.

According to a source with knowledge of the meeting, who would not be identified because it was a private gathering, the meeting ended about 3pm with hugs, handshakes and high-fives, but left those in attendance with little confidence that Petracca will be a Melbourne player in 2025.

Gawn, vice captain Jack Viney, Tom Sparrow and Petracca were at the restaurant. Star defender Jake Lever would have been in attendance but was ill (he missed the round 24 loss to Collingwood the night before due to gastro).

Petracca’s concerns included his belief that Melbourne people did not check in with him enough in the aftermath of his King’s Birthday injury, the pending departure of teammate Alex Neal-Bullen, and previous culture issues.

Three teammates, who have spoken to this masthead on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic, remain concerned that while Petracca’s grievances have now been aired several times to the players, they are not sure how the problems can be fixed.

Petracca suggested the pending departure of premiership player Neal-Bullen could have been avoided if the environment was better at the Dees.

However, Neal-Bullen has told the club he would like to return home to South Australia for family reasons.

Saturday’s was one of several meetings that Petracca has had with teammates and club leaders, but they have done little to sway his view that he wants to play for a rival Melbourne powerhouse club in 2025.

The 28-year-old reiterated his position in his exit review meeting on Monday, although he has not formally requested a trade.

He has told coach Simon Goodwin and other senior figures that he is frustrated with continuously playing in front of small crowds.

In two of Melbourne’s last three home games, the crowds have been 16,246 (against Greater Western Sydney) and 17,867 (against Port Adelaide).

He has also told them that representing a larger club could increase his brand and marketability. Petracca’s representatives have denied that personal brand issues are having any impact on his decision-making.

I love that we got Bont, and the Demons got him.

Happy Days
28-08-2024, 10:46 PM
Let me know when we reach the feats of strength.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:07 PM
Let me know when we reach the feats of strength.
Christian, until you pin me down, whingefest is not over.

GVGjr
28-08-2024, 11:37 PM
Former Chairman Glen Bartlett questioned the culture of the club and was then voted out. I wonder how he is viewing all this at the moment.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 11:45 PM
He has also told them that representing a larger club could increase his brand and marketability.

Wouldn't trade a packet of chips for this guy.

MrMahatma
29-08-2024, 12:10 AM
http://https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/kysaiah-pickett-homesick-as-fresh-trade-rumour-rocks-demons-to-its-core/news-story/e13ec1d49f9245eb95e8267aae966044 (https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/kysaiah-pickett-homesick-as-fresh-trade-rumour-rocks-demons-to-its-core/news-story/e13ec1d49f9245eb95e8267aae966044")

And now Kozzie wants out.

Just inject this stuff directly into my veins please.

jeemak
29-08-2024, 01:29 AM
He has also told them that representing a larger club could increase his brand and marketability.

Wouldn't trade a packet of chips for this guy.

That's what stood out most to me and I'd literally spit my scotch all over him and ight a match and flick it at him if he said this to me in a meeting.

What an insufferable shithead he must be. Does he not know how much of a free run he already gets as being part of Melbourne Football Club?

Sedat
29-08-2024, 11:20 AM
All this Melbourne imploding stuff just makes me dirtier for what happened late in the 2021 GF.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2024, 11:47 AM
All this Melbourne imploding stuff just makes me dirtier for what happened late in the 2021 GF.

Thinking the same.

Why couldn't this have happened in 2021.

azabob
29-08-2024, 11:53 AM
Thinking the same.

Why couldn't this have happened in 2021.

It did. Early on in 2021 but they moved on Glenn Bartlett and rode through it.

Happy Days
29-08-2024, 11:55 AM
If they don’t win the flag in 2021 maybe they’re necessarily humbled to the degree that none of this happens.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2024, 11:56 AM
If they don’t win the flag in 2021 maybe they’re necessarily humbled to the degree that none of this happens.

Good point. And now it is happening because of it and all over a flag equivalent to an Ansett Cup. Glorious.

comrade
29-08-2024, 12:03 PM
Yeah, if they don't win in 2021 Clayton doesn't try to snort everything in his path and they probably win back to back flags in 2022 and 2023.

Sedat
29-08-2024, 12:04 PM
It did. Early on in 2021 but they moved on Glenn Bartlett and rode through it.
Yep. They also had elite talent, traded perfectly for specific needs and were easily the best team in 2021 - talent can hide a lot of sins.

Irrespective of their talent, we had them on toast with 37 minutes to go in that GF and the rest is history. It shits me more now than it did at the time (the reverse GG). I'm not comforted by the fact that it was a Covid premiership and "didn't count" - it did.

I get that had they lost in 2021 they might well have saluted in 2022/23 (their talent was obvious and they would have been even more focused/determined to atone) - we still fumbled a gilt-edged chance at a flag, and we all know those chances haven't come around often in our history.

comrade
29-08-2024, 12:10 PM
Roffey just gave one of the worst crisis management interviews in footy history. Strong presidents are so important during these times and thank god we had Gordo at the helm in 2014.

Sedat
29-08-2024, 12:13 PM
Roffey just gave one of the worst crisis management interviews in footy history.
She makes KW-W look like Eddie Everywhere. She's been completely unsighted since the premiership, which she had virtually nothing to do with as she was parachuted in when they unceremoniously turfed Bartlett out earlier in the year.

comrade
29-08-2024, 12:19 PM
She makes KW-W look like Eddie Everywhere. She's been completely unsighted since the premiership, which she had virtually nothing to do with as she was parachuted in when they unceremoniously turfed Bartlett out earlier in the year.

Speaking of KWW, I somehow lucked into a ticket to the President's Luncheon for our game vs the Roos a few weeks ago. Great set up...free drinks and food, heard from Timmy English after his contract signing, Luke Darcy was swanning around while his son kicked 7 and Bains gave a good speech. Unfortunately, he did have to announce that the President was unable to make it to the President's Luncheon due to some Disney related obligations. I had a little chuckle and thought of you.

Bring back Gordo.

Axe Man
29-08-2024, 12:27 PM
Tom Morris
@tommorris32
Understand Kysaiah Pickett told Melbourne officials if he is to be traded, his preference is WA & not SA. This places West Coast, where cousin Liam Ryan is a premiership player, at the front of the queue.

It’s not unusual for Kozzy to flirt with moving clubs and being a touch unsettled. The Dees confident they can hold onto him.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2024, 12:39 PM
Yep. They also had elite talent, traded perfectly for specific needs and were easily the best team in 2021 - talent can hide a lot of sins.

Irrespective of their talent, we had them on toast with 37 minutes to go in that GF and the rest is history. It shits me more now than it did at the time (the reverse GG). I'm not comforted by the fact that it was a Covid premiership and "didn't count" - it did.

I get that had they lost in 2021 they might well have saluted in 2022/23 (their talent was obvious and they would have been even more focused/determined to atone) - we still fumbled a gilt-edged chance at a flag, and we all know those chances haven't come around often in our history.

Hey I'll keep telling myself it didn't count. It helps me sleep at night.

When I think back to how screwed around we were by the afl that finals series it's the only logical conclusion I can draw. Melbourne vacationed freely around in Perth for nearly a month. Got a cats team that was food poisoned whilst we were sent flying around the country stuck in hotels. At least the year before everyone was in the same set-up. But us being quarantined in the lead up whilst they could live normal lives felt bullshit.

And yeah, despite all that we had them on the ropes. It's disappointing we didn't kill them off and it's equally disappointing how we handled (or didn't handle) that loss. But I just can't imagine had we won it, I would look back on it the way I would 2016 or the way I might 2024. I dunno. That whole year just felt weird.

Sedat
29-08-2024, 12:45 PM
Hey I'll keep telling myself it didn't count. It helps me sleep at night.

When I think back to how screwed around we were by the afl that finals series it's the only logical conclusion I can draw. Melbourne vacationed freely around in Perth for nearly a month. Got a cats team that was food poisoned whilst we were sent flying around the country stuck in hotels. At least the year before everyone was in the same set-up. But us being quarantined in the lead up whilst they could live normal lives felt bullshit.

And yeah, despite all that we had them on the ropes. It's disappointing we didn't kill them off and it's equally disappointing how we handled (or didn't handle) that loss. But I just can't imagine had we won it, I would look back on it the way I would 2016 or the way I might 2024. I dunno. That whole year just felt weird.
I actually go the opposite path. It would have been the single greatest premiership in VFEL/AFEL history (and by some margin) with what we had to overcome, not just in terms of onerous travel but also having to endure dickhead state premiers/CHO's who had a hard-on for their newly beefed-up power and forced us locked up in our hotel rooms like we were lepers.

Sedat
29-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Roffey just gave one of the worst crisis management interviews in footy history. Strong presidents are so important during these times and thank god we had Gordo at the helm in 2014.
Didn't hear the interview but the rusted-on celebrity Dees supporters likes Titus O'Reilly and Ralph Horowitz have absolutely teed off and want her gone today. Apparently she hasn't spoken to Petracca or any of his family since the injury - that is completely unforgivable and shows a lack of basic understanding of the role of footy club president (it is so much more than balance sheets and board meetings), let alone respect for your greatest asset and his family, at a time when his life (let alone career) was in jeopardy. Eddie cops a lot but he would have been giving Petracca panadols every 4 hours and tucking him up in bed every night from King's Birthday onwards if he was Dees president.

Petracca is your rolled gold jet/single biggest asset at your club, and he is a total pro on and off the field to boot. We're all giving him a bit of stick about Brand Petracca and the insta cooking stuff (it's a bit cringe), but he has clearly been woefully treated by the club, and from the very top down.

Ozza
29-08-2024, 02:54 PM
So, when should the red wine go in?

Mantis
29-08-2024, 03:25 PM
So, when should the red wine go in?

After the meat has been browned.

Add the wine and then simmer down until a 1/3 remains.

Add your tomato based products (and milk) and let it simmer for as long as you want.

Ozza
29-08-2024, 03:33 PM
After the meat has been browned.

Add the wine and then simmer down until a 1/3 remains.

Add your tomato based products (and milk) and let it simmer for as long as you want.

Thank you.

You see, this is what I come to WOOF for.

Ozza
29-08-2024, 03:34 PM
Also all this doom and demise at Melbourne is really bringing me up. They deserve all of it.

Happy Days
29-08-2024, 03:34 PM
Tin foil hat time but I reckon this “brand Petracca” stuff is being planted by Melbourne to try and win the public opinion battle, and being given oxygen by journos because Petracca won’t talk to them.

I think he’s just super pissed about, you know, nearly dying.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2024, 03:40 PM
Tin foil hat time but I reckon this “brand Petracca” stuff is being planted by Melbourne to try and win the public opinion battle, and being given oxygen by journos because Petracca won’t talk to them.

I think he’s just super pissed about, you know, nearly dying.

I tend to agree but the buzz around only wanting to go to big clubs won't help his cause. Although most players who "want out" always want to go to big clubs anyway.

mighty_west
29-08-2024, 03:48 PM
Can't say i'm too upset with Melbourne FC Dee-stroying itself, you can't blame Trac for wanting out however, he also sounds like a bit of an "excuse maker" if what was reported is 100% accurate.

One excuse because Alex Neal-Bullen wants back to SA, really? all clubs lose players at certain stages for various reasons, what the!

Doesn't get to play in front of big crowds? i mean yeah, but why sign a massive deal recently if that was the case? He's only been there for how long, and now it's an issue?

Team Petracca.....mmmmkay! World Police, someone shout out MATT DAMON! That's a ripper.

He admits to choosing to stay on the ground which was just dumb and absolutely the medical staff should have carried him off and taken him straight to hospital given the nature of the injury and especially how much pain he was in trying to hobble off, the club not being in contact? Didn't the hospital continue to block them away with only immediate family visits only, at that time?

They're just a mess of a club atm and the rest of us are enjoying our popcorn, really can't see him staying, both club and player really are damaged goods, would i want him at the Dogs, hell yeah!!! Awesome player and as he's damaged his own "brand" he just sounds like a decent enough bloke who needs good people and strong leaders around him.

comrade
29-08-2024, 04:00 PM
The Brand Petracca stuff is purely cover for the shit show that must be going on within the 4 walls of?wherever they?re based?

He had no problems with crowd numbers or exposure 3 years ago when he signed a mega deal.

If he really wants out, he should drop the hammer and reveal how bad it really is within the club. Give us the tea on Clarry and Hunter, tell us about Goody?s betting habits, regale us with tales of Gawn?s dickheadedness. Then they?ll let him go.

Rocket Science
29-08-2024, 04:07 PM
This Dees implosion is so tasty I'm willingly subjecting myself to SEN just to savour them wringing every miserable drop out of it.

SquirrelGrip
29-08-2024, 04:41 PM
One excuse because Alex Neal-Bullen wants back to SA, really? all clubs lose players at certain stages for various reasons, what the!

Trac is on a newly released Howie Games podcast with Cody and Izak Rankine, in the lead up to Cody's art show and focusing on life outside football.

Mark Howard asked each player who they admired as a team mate and Trac said Alex Neal-Bullen for his work ethic. It was genuine admiration and they clearly have a close connection. Based on that, ANB leaving the Dees would definitely impact Trac.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2024, 04:43 PM
Trac is on a newly released Howie Games podcast with Cody and Izak Rankine, in the lead up to Cody's art show and focusing on life outside football.

Mark Howard asked each player who they admired as a team mate and Trac said Alex Neal-Bullen for his work ethic. It was genuine admiration and they clearly have a close connection. Based on that, ANB leaving the Dees would definitely impact Trac.

That article in the age mentioned ANB leaving was a key point in Trac wanting to leave. The same article that mentioned he wants a big club to help build his brand.

G-Mo77
29-08-2024, 05:58 PM
Tin foil hat time but I reckon this ?brand Petracca? stuff is being planted by Melbourne to try and win the public opinion battle, and being given oxygen by journos because Petracca won?t talk to them.

I think he?s just super pissed about, you know, nearly dying.

I think it's the other way personally. The whole brand thing is new but not uncommon, lots said the same thing about Dunkley while he was here and one of the reasons he left. I believe this whole brand nonsense is true. Nearly died? Did he really? I mean he was very badly hurt sure but wanted to go out on the ground himself. Mad at the club but wants to leave? Ok sure. The Doctors should have got this right and said no, you're not going back out there so be mad at the club and try to leave but choose "big clubs" only?

Like most things the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle but it's glorious seeing this club implode! I used to have a soft spot for them but after 2021 and the venom these arseholes aimed at our players for just turning up alone was very poor. Karma is a bitch and they have got one Covid Cup to show for it.

Axe Man
29-08-2024, 06:34 PM
Mark Robinson: Weirdness surrounds Christian Petracca’s future, but will he actually move? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-weirdness-surrounds-christian-petraccas-future-but-will-he-actually-move/news-story/d0b804fcdc3c2bd8d1bcb5a72e01b508)

The rustic Marion Wine Bar in Gertrude St, Fitzroy, was the scene for a peculiar little gathering of Melbourne players on Tuesday night.

Clearly, the players didn’t seem to care – or they thought they couldn’t be heard – by the table of serious football fans sitting at the next table.

The pleasant surprise seeing AFL players on a windy Tuesday night was one thing, their astonishment at what the players – clearly frustrated – were saying about Christian Petracca was another.

So much so, notes were taken.

Words such as “weird” were heard, and how Petracca’s “weirdness” was accepted at Melbourne, but would not be accepted at another club.

And that it was hoped that “Lamby” – presumably list boss Tim Lamb – didn’t muck up the trade deal, either for Petracca or “Nibbler”, which is the nickname for Alex Neal-Bullen, who has requested a trade to Adelaide.

The players, it was noted, also expressed hope the club would come out of this period OK.

This citizen journalism is the latest layer of discontent surrounding Petracca.

The whole situation is weird.

It’s weird for those who have not suffered serious trauma to comprehend Petracca’s emotional state.

It’s also weird that he hasn’t spoken publicly.

It’s weird the “Petracca Brand” is being offered as a reason he wants to play for a bigger club.

It’s weird that nobody at Melbourne can properly explain what is happening, and exactly why the Demons’ Norm Smith medallist wants to break a seven-year contract.

It’s weird trying to determine if Petracca is being selfish and whether his trade request is ripping the club apart or the club has ripped him apart.

The bombshell breakdown between the club and the player not only perplexes the football world, it also paints the football club as a basket case.

It’s bad headline after bad headline.

First, Petracca wants out, then Neal-Bullen wants out, and Kysaiah Pickett tells the club he is homesick, which suggests he’d also be open to a trade.

That’s not the sound of alarm bells ringing at Melbourne, it’s a tornado warning.

Finally, club president Kate Roffey broke her silence, interviewed on SEN on Thursday.

She defended her lack of public utterances, and stressed she had been talking to coterie groups, the leadership group, the coaches, and to parents.

But not to Petracca’s parents more recently, nor to Petracca.

To be fair, it’s believed she had reached out but not gotten a response.

Which made her next comment – “we don’t think it’s a stand-off” Roffey said – plainly ridiculous because while there has been some positive vibes this week, Petracca is yet to tell the club he wants to be there in 2024.

Unbelievably, Roffey said she wasn’t aware of Petracca’s grievances and even alluded to a belief that it was all media-driven. Now that was drivel.

The interview was evasive and lacked authority, and probably did more harm than good at a time when Melbourne supporters were looking for reassuring leadership.

Certainly, the club is buoyed by the fact Petracca joined his teammates for end-of-season drinks at the Terminus Hotel on Wednesday.

The club believes Petracca is warming to addressing the issues he has with the club, because if he didn’t want to and wanted a trade, he wouldn’t have joined his teammates at such a team-bonding environment like the post-season sip.

It shows the connection between the players is not broken.

More cuddles are required, however, because Petracca is still frustrated – and the players, while more understanding of Petracca’s emotional state, are frustrated with him.

To be honest, everyone at Melbourne is frustrated.

In her interview, Roffey denied the club was in crisis, a comment that beggars belief.

For two years Melbourne has been neck-deep in controversy. There was the punch-up between Steven May and Jake Melksham. There was Glen Bartlett and his legal stoush, Joel Smith and his cocaine, Clayton Oliver with all his issues and throughout, coach Simon Goodwin has swatted away rumours about himself.

The Petracca bomb topped them all.

Either Melbourne has been terribly unlucky and is being over scrutinised, or something is not right at the footy club. We suspect it’s the latter, although the Demons have made it known there’s been no other issues in-season other than the Petracca situation.

The Demons maintain they won’t trade their prized No. 5, but they also know that total reconciliation can’t occur unless Petracca comes to the table. Not necessary with a peace offering but with a mind to shed the past and forge into the future.

Work needs to be done, and it won’t be easy, and despite all the weirdness, the odds of Petracca playing at Melbourne next year are better than what they were a week ago.

Happy Days
29-08-2024, 06:51 PM
I broke my phone after reading the first two lines what does the rest of it say

comrade
29-08-2024, 07:31 PM
I broke my phone after reading the first two lines what does the rest of it say

Yes, this meeting was definitely not leaked by anyone and was somehow overheard by a table of serious football fans. Very serious.

ledge
29-08-2024, 09:54 PM
I heard it all when we played Casey at whitten oval and Tomlinsons old man was Ropable with Melbourne and how they treated his son and a few of the players in the VFL.
The Petracca injury just blew it all out in the open.
It was simmering all year.

jeemak
29-08-2024, 10:49 PM
Yes, this meeting was definitely not leaked by anyone and was somehow overheard by a table of serious football fans. Very serious.

It's just all a big coincidence and definitely they spent so much time all talking as a group about how weird their team mate is and definitely about how no other club would be able to handle his weirdness.

Not leaked at all.

jeemak
30-08-2024, 12:28 AM

We were cooked mate. Had nothing left in the tank.

The last fifteen minutes of the third was an unforgiveable shit show but they'd have gotten us in the last anyway.

They can have it. If we won it's a win for the ages, them winning after their preferable treatment is just an asterisk on the competition's history.

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 10:12 AM
Michael Warner: Kate Roffey?s trainwreck interview shows fans where Dees? problems truly lie
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-warner-kate-roffeys-trainwreck-interview-shows-fans-where-dees-problems-truly-lie/news-story/2d4a85a4fc74d15d5ec92714fe5bde1c)
Amid a backdrop of crisis and backstabbing in April 2021, Kate Roffey took over the Demons. But Thursday?s trainwreck display showed how inept the club?s leadership is, writes Michael Warner.

Kate Roffey?s presidency of Melbourne has always been tainted and now the moment of reckoning has arrived.

Amid a backdrop of crisis and backstabbing in April 2021, it was Roffey who was installed suddenly as Glen Bartlett?s replacement by a group of plotters (inside and outside the club) determined to cover-up fears over a festering off-field culture.

Bartlett and at least one other Melbourne director had sounded the alarm in a secret meeting with AFL chairman Richard Goyder and then league boss Gillon McLachlan just weeks before the Roffey coup was hatched.

It?s ironic that a premiership so desperately sought by the Demons faithful would follow just a few months later, allowing club powerbrokers to portray Bartlett as nothing but a man of sour grapes.

But the truth in football always comes out eventually.

The current crisis enveloping Melbourne goes directly to those responsible for the Bartlett assassination and the failure to address the cultural issues later exposed by former club doctor-turned whistleblower Zeeshan Arain and others in a Sports Integrity Australia investigation.

Roffey?s trainwreck interview on SEN radio on Thursday morning might finally be the moment Melbourne fans wake up to the true cause of the endless headlines and scandals that have plagued the club over the past three years: inept leadership.

Only chief executive Gary Pert?s now infamous SEN interview last October in which he declared the Melbourne culture to be ?the best I?ve seen in 40 years? could top Roffey?s performance of denial, bordering on delusion.

According to the president, calls for an independent review at Melbourne are unfounded.

There?s nothing to see here other than the issues that affect all football clubs, she said.

It?s all media rhetoric. I?m at the club and I talk to the parents of our players and they all love us. (Does that include Joel Smith?s parents or Christian Petracca?s mum and dad?)

?Trac? is a contracted player, she said. I haven?t spoken to him yet but we?re going to get there with a resolution. Kosi?s just homesick ? it?s not a trade thing. (But isn?t Alex Neal-Bullen also homesick and aren?t they going to trade him?)

And regarding the long-running legal dispute with Bartlett ? ?we just have to deal with that? and ?defend ourselves from those accusations?, she said.

But Bartlett has stared them down and refused to go away and the tide has turned in a boardroom war that has cost the Demons far more than just mounting legal costs.

That glorious premiership of 2021 will always be special to Melbourne supporters, but how many more flags could a generational list have bagged if the club had faced up to the cultural issues that have since derailed the careers of Clayton Oliver, Smith and now Petracca?

Club chiefs who remain unconvinced about Petracca?s desire to leave would be wise to start work on a deal with a rival club instead of risking the airing of further dirty laundry at a hearing before the AFL grievance tribunal.

The club?s separate and unnecessary court fight with board challenger Peter Lawrence has also exposed the club?s constant state of denial.

Eleven years ago, the AFL intervened at Melbourne in the wake of the tanking fiasco, cleaning out the board and putting veteran administrator Peter Jackson in as CEO and Bartlett in charge as president.

One wonders how long it will be until Andrew Dillon and the AFL Commission lose patience with the club again.

ReLoad
30-08-2024, 10:17 AM
Why do i get the feeling this is much worse than our crisis from years ago. Coach and captain going was gnarly, but this is really deep in the club type stuff.

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 10:20 AM
Mark Robinson: Former Melbourne president Joe Gutnick backs calls for a full-scale review of embattled Demons (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-former-melbourne-president-joe-gutnick-backs-calls-for-a-fullscale-review-of-embattled-demons/news-story/9636566a415bf3fefa9d5d4aad9b4cd5)

With focus on the Dees at an all-time high for the wrong reasons, a former president has backed calls for a full-scale independent review of the club in the wake of the Christian Petracca stand-off.

Former Melbourne president “Diamond” Joe Gutnick has supported calls for a full-scaled review of the embattled football club.

Distressed by the Christian Petracca stand-off, and other recent controversies, Gutnick said he was disillusioned having to watch the club “fall apart and disintegrate” in recent weeks.

Gutnick’s concerns comes as the Herald Sun can reveal Petracca’s partner Isabella Beischer – formerly a lawyer at the Hall & Wilcox legal firm, is now the business manager of Trac 5 Pty Ltd.

She is the key driver of “Brand Petracca”, which reportedly is one of reasons influencing Petracca’s desire to pursue a trade to a big Melbourne club.

She became Petracca’s business manager in April this year, two months prior to Petracca being severely injured in the King’s Birthday clash with Collingwood.

Gutnick said he would be moved to support a potential challenge to the Demons’ board, but would not be part of any ticket.

“I’m not interested in becoming president again – I’m a supporter, a member, and I’m concerned the whole club is falling apart and disintegrating in front of the AFL world,“ he said.

“Something is wrong and it’s incumbent on the board to make an independent review.

“Whether it’s the coach’s fault, whether it’s the board’s fault, or the football department … is there is not enough unity at the club? All these questions are being asked.

“Most importantly, there’s no one in the Melbourne Football Club who doesn’t like Petracca – he’s been a super player and a super representative of the football club, so why is he so adamant about leaving? It’s perplexing. There’s something wrong somewhere and we have to get to the bottom of it.”

Melbourne board challenger Peter Lawrence this week joined former great David Schwarz in calling for a full-scale independent review of the club’s operations.

Demons’ president Kate Roffey on Thursday rejected such a move.

“No, I don’t think so,” Roffey told SEN. “We’re always looking at reviewing, we’ve been constantly working on all sorts of things throughout the year. That’s never a stagnant process.”

Gutnick said: “She is wrong. I think (a review) is needed. Why won’t she have one? People are disillusioned.”

Asked if he had faith in Roffey, Gutnick said: “I can’t really comment, I don’t want to be critical of any individual, the coach or the president. I don’t know what the real issues are, and I don’t think too many do know, and that’s why we need an independent inquiry. We need to get to the bottom of it for the sake of the supporters, the sake of the players, and the sake of the future of the club.

“Maybe that can save the rift with Petracca, that would be the best outcome for everybody.”

Gutnick, who was Demons’ president from 1996-2001, said he had this week written an email to Roffey, chief executive Gary Pert, board members, coach Simon Goodwin and captain Max Gawn expressing concerns – and had not received back a single response.

“Being an ex-president, I thought I would have got something,’’ he said.

Gutnick said he did not have details about former president Glen Bartlett’s legal battle with the club.

“But to dismiss a president in the middle of the year, and he has all these gripes, and they haven’t been able to resolve it, and all these issues with (Joel) Smith and drugs, and this and that … it’s just not right,’’ he said.

“We were in such a good position in 2021 and it’s gone downhill. There’s this disunity, disillusionment with supporters, something is wrong.’’

Dry Rot
30-08-2024, 10:36 AM
I now wonder whether there was more to Jackson leaving for Freo than we thought at the time.

Sedat
30-08-2024, 10:59 AM
We were cooked mate. Had nothing left in the tank.

The last fifteen minutes of the third was an unforgiveable shit show but they'd have gotten us in the last anyway.

They can have it. If we won it's a win for the ages, them winning after their preferable treatment is just an asterisk on the competition's history.
Respectfully disagree Jee. We kicked 8 of the last 9 to go 19 points up, and Melbourne were were completely devoid of answers and didn't look like scoring for the first 20 minutes of the 3rd qtr. All we needed was a bit of composure and time management to slow the game down for a few minutes - Melbourne would have inevitably chased the game and become over-aggressive in their set-up, and we would have broken them with another couple of goals on the counter. Instead we did the opposite, going super aggressive at stoppage and keeping the game going at light speed which totally played into their hands.

Sedat
30-08-2024, 11:13 AM
Michael Warner: Kate Roffey?s trainwreck interview shows fans where Dees? problems truly lie
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-warner-kate-roffeys-trainwreck-interview-shows-fans-where-dees-problems-truly-lie/news-story/2d4a85a4fc74d15d5ec92714fe5bde1c)
Amid a backdrop of crisis and backstabbing in April 2021, Kate Roffey took over the Demons. But Thursday?s trainwreck display showed how inept the club?s leadership is, writes Michael Warner.

Kate Roffey?s presidency of Melbourne has always been tainted and now the moment of reckoning has arrived.

Amid a backdrop of crisis and backstabbing in April 2021, it was Roffey who was installed suddenly as Glen Bartlett?s replacement by a group of plotters (inside and outside the club) determined to cover-up fears over a festering off-field culture.

Bartlett and at least one other Melbourne director had sounded the alarm in a secret meeting with AFL chairman Richard Goyder and then league boss Gillon McLachlan just weeks before the Roffey coup was hatched.

It?s ironic that a premiership so desperately sought by the Demons faithful would follow just a few months later, allowing club powerbrokers to portray Bartlett as nothing but a man of sour grapes.

But the truth in football always comes out eventually.

The current crisis enveloping Melbourne goes directly to those responsible for the Bartlett assassination and the failure to address the cultural issues later exposed by former club doctor-turned whistleblower Zeeshan Arain and others in a Sports Integrity Australia investigation.

Roffey?s trainwreck interview on SEN radio on Thursday morning might finally be the moment Melbourne fans wake up to the true cause of the endless headlines and scandals that have plagued the club over the past three years: inept leadership.

Only chief executive Gary Pert?s now infamous SEN interview last October in which he declared the Melbourne culture to be ?the best I?ve seen in 40 years? could top Roffey?s performance of denial, bordering on delusion.

According to the president, calls for an independent review at Melbourne are unfounded.

There?s nothing to see here other than the issues that affect all football clubs, she said.

It?s all media rhetoric. I?m at the club and I talk to the parents of our players and they all love us. (Does that include Joel Smith?s parents or Christian Petracca?s mum and dad?)

?Trac? is a contracted player, she said. I haven?t spoken to him yet but we?re going to get there with a resolution. Kosi?s just homesick ? it?s not a trade thing. (But isn?t Alex Neal-Bullen also homesick and aren?t they going to trade him?)

And regarding the long-running legal dispute with Bartlett ? ?we just have to deal with that? and ?defend ourselves from those accusations?, she said.

But Bartlett has stared them down and refused to go away and the tide has turned in a boardroom war that has cost the Demons far more than just mounting legal costs.

That glorious premiership of 2021 will always be special to Melbourne supporters, but how many more flags could a generational list have bagged if the club had faced up to the cultural issues that have since derailed the careers of Clayton Oliver, Smith and now Petracca?

Club chiefs who remain unconvinced about Petracca?s desire to leave would be wise to start work on a deal with a rival club instead of risking the airing of further dirty laundry at a hearing before the AFL grievance tribunal.

The club?s separate and unnecessary court fight with board challenger Peter Lawrence has also exposed the club?s constant state of denial.

Eleven years ago, the AFL intervened at Melbourne in the wake of the tanking fiasco, cleaning out the board and putting veteran administrator Peter Jackson in as CEO and Bartlett in charge as president.

One wonders how long it will be until Andrew Dillon and the AFL Commission lose patience with the club again.
Michael Warner doesn't miss. When the likes of Robbo and Barratt are clearly being directed to push the Brand Petracca/selfish narrative (they obviously have better sources within Melbourne for future content), it's best to assume the complete opposite is happening.

As this drags on my sympathies are moving far more towards the Petracca camp. I bet he has actually underplayed how bad things have been at that club, rather than exaggerated it. Being left alone and uncontacted for 2 weeks in ICU while nearly dying would give anybody clarity about just how expendable they are. Melbourne treated Petracca very poorly when he was at his most vulnerable and needed the club leaders to have his back. Instead his president hasn't even bothered to contact him or his family since June.

jazzadogs
30-08-2024, 11:20 AM
Gutnick’s concerns comes as the Herald Sun can reveal Petracca’s partner Isabella Beischer – formerly a lawyer at the Hall & Wilcox legal firm, is now the business manager of Trac 5 Pty Ltd.

She is the key driver of “Brand Petracca”, which reportedly is one of reasons influencing Petracca’s desire to pursue a trade to a big Melbourne club.

She became Petracca’s business manager in April this year, two months prior to Petracca being severely injured in the King’s Birthday clash with Collingwood.

Ah, I should have known this whole thing was the girlfriends fault!

Sedat
30-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Ah, I should have known this whole thing was the girlfriends fault!
I'm sure Petracca and his family would be thrilled with club insiders continuing to dig dirt on those closest to him. I fully expect to see him eventually nominate "anybody but Melbourne", or whoever has the best draft capital.

I have no intel whatsoever but it would not surprise in the slightest to see him at Punt Rd next season. They will have ample draft capital to burn and could also offer Lynch as a virtual freebie to Melbourne. Not a bad Dusty replacement. It's getting to the stage now where Petracca likely wants nothing to do with Melbourne and would happily live with 2-3 years of rebuilding just to get out of the joint - he will also have greater off-field commercial opportunities at Richmond and get to stay in Melbourne.

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 11:39 AM
I'm sure Petracca and his family would be thrilled with club insiders continuing to dig dirt on those closest to him. I fully expect to see him eventually nominate "anybody but Melbourne", or whoever has the best draft capital.

I have no intel whatsoever but it would not surprise in the slightest to see him at Punt Rd next season. They will have ample draft capital to burn and could also offer Lynch as a virtual freebie to Melbourne. Not a bad Dusty replacement. It's getting to the stage now where Petracca likely wants nothing to do with Melbourne and would happily live with 2-3 years of rebuilding just to get out of the joint - he will also have greater off-field commercial opportunities at Richmond and get to stay in Melbourne.

Hmm Tigers, god he'd have to be pretty desperate!! :)

Bombers might be an option? They must have cash.

comrade
30-08-2024, 11:41 AM
Melbourne going down the Yoko Ono route isn?t going to end well for them.

Sedat
30-08-2024, 11:42 AM
Bombers might be an option? They must have cash.
Those sprung floors at The Hangar are also a key selling point. Has he spoken to Coons?

ledge
30-08-2024, 11:47 AM
I think the media made up the Petracca “brand “ thing. Who the hell names themselves as a brand ?
I see it as issues all round at the club and Petracca treatment has bought it to the surface.
Somehow the media is turning it into a Petracca issue and making it about him.
I do believe Petracca is a loyal and good person but when your treated like shit you come to a stage you realise the club is toxic and you have to get out.
This bloke has had a serious injury and some parts of the media are going at him, then the same media go on about mental health of players, not sure if I would want to play footy again after that scare.
Some of the Media and Melbourne should be wrapping their arms around this bloke not have a go at him.

Happy Days
30-08-2024, 11:54 AM
Barrett absolutely embarrassing himself in his sliding doors “column” today about Petracca.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 11:57 AM
I think the media made up the Petracca “brand “ thing. Who the hell names themselves as a brand ?
I see it as issues all round at the club and Petracca treatment has bought it to the surface.
I do believe Petracca is a loyal and good person but when your treated like shit you come to a stage you realise the club is toxic and you have to get out.
This bloke has had a serious injury and some parts of the media are going at him, then the same media go on about mental health of players, not sure if I would want to play footy again after that scare.
Some of the Media and Melbourne should be wrapping their arms around this bloke not have a go at him.

We're seeing it with Bailey Smith ourselves! Dunkley tries but all he could ever sell is vanilla ice cream.

Personal branding is a thing and will only get bigger and worse for us fans. This is what social media has done to the world.

Thank f**k we have Bont.

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 11:58 AM

It's that Australian cultural thing of bringing down anyone who's not humble.
Petracca seems like a reasonable guy trying to maximise his earning in the short window he has left as a player.

The president not speaking to him after a life threatening injury is unforgivable.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Barrett absolutely embarrassing himself with in his sliding doors “column” today about Petracca.

What did Petracca do to him? Have lunch with Bevo?

On the flip side, Barrett is in love with Bont.

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 12:18 PM
We're seeing it with Bailey Smith ourselves! Dunkley tries but all he could ever sell is vanilla ice cream.

Personal branding is a thing and will only get bigger and worse for us fans. This is what social media has done to the world.

Thank f**k we have Bont.

Miriam Margolyes on her series Impossibly Australian is hilarious when she meets an "Influencer" from Byron Bay. She just can't possibly comprehend what it is he does.

Sedat
30-08-2024, 12:25 PM
Barrett absolutely embarrassing himself in his sliding doors “column” today about Petracca.
After reading that, I wished Bevo had finished the job off in the toilets in 2015.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 12:36 PM
Miriam Margolyes on her series Impossibly Australian is hilarious when she meets an "Influencer" from Byron Bay. She just can't possibly comprehend what it is he does.

I can't comprehend how people are influenced by influencers.

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 12:37 PM
I can't comprehend how people are influenced by influencers.

Always been the case, it's just the medium that has changed.

Humans love to "follow".

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 12:42 PM

Humans love to "follow".

Like Brian of Nazareth.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 12:45 PM

Humans love to "follow".

I agree. But it's always been celebrities or the rich and famous. But these influencers start as nobodies selling crap and then become huge. I don't get it. But then I've never followed anyone so I'll probably never get it.

hujsh
30-08-2024, 12:48 PM
I agree. But it's always been celebrities or the rich and famous. But these influencers start as nobodies selling crap and then become huge. I don't get it. But then I've never followed anyone so I'll probably never get it.

You build a following, doesn't matter what you're doing, develop a parasocial relationship, give insights into your life and people will feel a deeper connection to you than a regular celebrity, then leverage that trust to sell stuff.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 12:51 PM
You build a following, doesn't matter what you're doing, develop a parasocial relationship, give insights into your life and people will feel a deeper connection to you than a regular celebrity, then leverage that trust to sell stuff.

How do people not see through it?

I probably have trust issues.

Now Bont could sell ice to Eskimos.

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 12:51 PM

The waves of internet gen coming through who have known nothing but.

I agree it's odd to us pre-webs :)

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 12:52 PM

You were given the gift of critical thinking. Now harness it to take from the less perceptive! That's the human way :cool:

bulldogsthru&thru
30-08-2024, 12:54 PM
You were given the gift of critical thinking. Now harness it to take from the less perceptive! That's the human way :cool:

Hahaha. I've always been torn if I should despise influencers for their greed or admire them for their ability to milk from the dumb.

hujsh
30-08-2024, 01:03 PM

No one is immune to propaganda. It's just a new angle but we all get got in one way or another even if we think we're special (not me though I'm actually special)

hujsh
30-08-2024, 01:07 PM

FWIW I do believe there are some people who might be considered 'influencers' that do avoid shilling things they don't believe in. For the most part though most people understand it's just an add.

That said some creators with young audiences really do be taking the piss. Watching the Mr.Beast take downs recently I had no idea how much his content and 'brand' was all around making kids think Mr.Beast was going to give them money directly if they engaged with and bought his stuff.

jeemak
30-08-2024, 04:18 PM
After reading that, I wished Bevo had finished the job off in the toilets in 2015.

What's the deal with the AFL protection racket that means everyone just jumps behind Melbourne Football Club? Is it the ties and dependence to the MCC that does it?

ledge
30-08-2024, 04:55 PM

Thank f**k we have Bont.

But at least we know Bailey is with cotton on and he is connecting with them as a ?brand ?

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 04:57 PM
But at least we know Bailey is with cotton on and he is connecting with them as a ?brand ?

Baz does a lot more than Cotton On. He's probably got the biggest personal brand in the AFL and promotes a range of products.

ledge
30-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Baz does a lot more than Cotton On. He's probably got the biggest personal brand in the AFL and promotes a range of products.

Yes he is a legit brand but the AFL love the word at the moment so use it at every chance, a bit like the idiotic “ a world record” with statistics a few years ago.

bornadog
31-08-2024, 08:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GWS36JJXIAEksfn?format=jpg&name=900x900

mighty_west
31-08-2024, 09:24 PM
So basically does that mean Trac's manager has told him that getting a trade done to satisfy Melbourne would be impossible, so he's had no choice but to stay? That's my gut feel.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2024, 10:33 PM
So basically does that mean Trac's manager has told him that getting a trade done to satisfy Melbourne would be impossible, so he's had no choice but to stay? That's my gut feel.

I don't know. After what he went through, if he felt the dees did him wrong, he wouldn't just get over it so easily. It's an interesting turn of events.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2024, 10:47 PM
Too damaging to “Brand Petracca” to move maybe.

Ah well.

Until the next Melbourne headline…

Hotdog60
31-08-2024, 10:50 PM
They handed him a brown paper bag under the table to make him feel better.

bornadog
01-09-2024, 12:10 AM

That is how I see it as well

MrMahatma
01-09-2024, 12:46 AM
They handed him a brown paper bag under the table to make him feel better.

It’s either culture or finances isn’t it? And they (theoretically) can’t be solved by one another.

I’m not putting this to bed. Reckon he still goes.

jeemak
01-09-2024, 01:35 AM
An article today had brand management industry people saying he'll lose as many fans as he gains when switching to a bigger club.

Maybe that's advice he received Thursday after he was right of reply checked before the article went to print yesterday.

He'll only go so far if he puts the red wine in after the tomatoes in a Bolognese, no matter what he decides. I'm just annoyed the fun's over for now.

The Adelaide Connection
01-09-2024, 03:23 AM
An article today had brand management industry people saying he'll lose as many fans as he gains when switching to a bigger club.

Maybe that's advice he received Thursday after he was right of reply checked before the article went to print yesterday.

He'll only go so far if he puts the red wine in after the tomatoes in a Bolognese, no matter what he decides. I'm just annoyed the fun's over for now.

It would have been great if a bunch of our rivals were distracted away from any other potential players by going all in trying to get him.

ledge
01-09-2024, 11:08 AM
So was it all a media beat up and now he has put out a statement saying he isn’t going anywhere the media look like idiots and need to make a story to save face ?
Media were huge on Naughton , English and Jamara going at the start of the year, slowly they got signed and all these clowns move on to another made up story.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2024, 12:30 PM
So was it all a media beat up and now he has put out a statement saying he isn’t going anywhere the media look like idiots and need to make a story to save face ?
Media were huge on Naughton , English and Jamara going at the start of the year, slowly they got signed and all these clowns move on to another made up story.

Whether our players or others I'm happy seeing more players remaining loyal (Petracca and Melbourne aside). The NBA is starting to see young stars remain loyal to smaller markets (by nba standards). Seems the generation of LeBrons and Durants is cooling.

mighty_west
01-09-2024, 12:37 PM
I don't know. After what he went through, if he felt the dees did him wrong, he wouldn't just get over it so easily. It's an interesting turn of events.

It sounds like the club absolutely did the wrong by him, so many aspects, even the Pres had not been in contact with player or his family what so ever since his life threatening injury, that's just shithouse! That said Christian by the sounds of things also came across with a lack of maturity during this time, some very weird takings from both sides.

I have no doubt if the Pies had two top 10 picks to have in their kit bag he'd be playing for them next year.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 06:15 PM
Their president has resigned effective immediately.

comrade
06-09-2024, 06:16 PM
Their president has resigned effective immediately.

She was never going to survive that train wreck interview.

Grantysghost
06-09-2024, 06:17 PM
Petracca stays she goes that was the deal.

hujsh
06-09-2024, 06:29 PM
She was never going to survive that train wreck interview.

Danny's gossip from Gawn was spot on

ledge
06-09-2024, 07:00 PM
She was that bad at an interview imagine what she was like in her job ?
I have seen some terrible managers in my life and you seriously shake your head and wonder how they got there, gift of the gab tends to work for a while but they get found out and move to the same role at another company just before shit hits fan

Axe Man
10-09-2024, 10:29 AM
Michael Warner: Why Gary Pert can’t spin his way out of Melbourne Demons’ ‘sh--show’ despite reviews (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-warner-why-gary-pert-cant-spin-his-way-out-of-melbourne-demons-shshow-despite-reviews/news-story/4a9ba9747d5eb16b9d9e2ad333597e6c)

The Demons announced an external review into the ‘sh--show’ at the club. The problem, writes MICHAEL WARNER, is the review is about as external as your intestines.

Buried away in a Supreme Court affidavit is a claim that Melbourne chief executive Gary Pert can get football journalists “to run with anything I want”.

“The one thing I can do is control the media, I can control the media and the messaging, that is the one thing I can do,” Pert is said to have declared amid the murky exit of Demons’ president Glen Bartlett in April 2021.

But surely not even Pert can spin his way out of the latest Melbourne sh--show.

Revelations on Channel 7 on Sunday night that the board had backflipped and agreed to an “external review” into its operations, led by All Blacks leadership consultant Darren Shand, were met with applause by frustrated Demons fans.

At least until the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark revealed an hour later that Pert and interim Demons president Brad Green would sit alongside Shand on the review panel, which makes it about as external as your intestines.

There’s a sense that Pert and the club’s top brass believe they can survive the fallout from another season of hell due to Kate Roffey’s decision to walk away on Friday night.

Pert, we are told, successfully completed an internal review at the end of season 2020, resulting in a glorious premiership.

It’s a good line, but overlooks the fact that Pert’s review also triggered legal action from the club’s long-time doctor Zeeshan Arain, who was sacked just days after blowing the whistle on the club’s alleged cultural problems.

When Bartlett became aware of Dr Arain’s allegations an investigation was launched, resulting in a six-figure payout to the doctor before a group of plotters inside and outside the club turned their guns on the president – igniting a three-year legal battle that continues to rip the club apart today.

Green is admired by Dees supporters, but has been on the club’s board since November 2020.

Shand, too, is already familiar with the club having spent time with senior Demons figures in the past 12 months.

So who appointed the review panel and what are its terms of reference?

And why should Pert, the man who recently got it so incredibly and wildly wrong when he declared that Melbourne boasted “the best culture I’ve seen in 40 years” – despite a litany of off-field incidents – be anywhere near the review?

It was footy’s version of Bob Hawke’s “no Australian child will be living in poverty”.

The saga continued on Monday evening with the news that the man identified as Roffey’s long-term replacement, former Melbourne Cricket Club president Steven Smith, had declined an offer to join the board.

The culture can at Melbourne has been kicked down the road for years and only a genuinely independent, warts-and-all review – one that may well find the CEO has been a part of the problem – can get to the bottom of the mess at the Demons.

SquirrelGrip
10-09-2024, 10:37 AM
[B][U][URL="https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-warner-why-gary-pert-cant-spin-his-way-out-of-melbourne-demons-shshow-despite-reviews/news-story/4a9ba9747d5eb16b9d9e2ad333597e6c"]
The culture can at Melbourne has been kicked down the road for years and only a genuinely independent, warts-and-all review – one that may well find the CEO has been a part of the problem – can get to the bottom of the mess at the Demons.

Given Pert is one of the three conducting the review, it would be a surprise that it's going to find the truth, that indeed is part of the problem.