PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned Round 14 2022 v GWS

Twodogs
16-06-2022, 11:36 AM
Alrighty then. Tell us three things you learner v the plastics tonight.

GVGjr
18-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Bump

westbulldog
18-06-2022, 11:24 PM
1. McComb can hit up a leading forward with his left foot but can't deliver from a set shot 30m directly in front.
2. West continues to improve.
3. Our defence leaks like a sieve.

bornadog
18-06-2022, 11:38 PM
1. The AFL wanted a shoot out and they got it. Is that what people like watching?

2. English gets better every game

3. Many thought Libba was cooked, and he looked it in the first few games, but he has been fantastic this season

Grantysghost
18-06-2022, 11:45 PM
1. English is becoming a complete ruck, dropping back into holes like Scotty Wynd.

2. Rhlyee West is going to make it, not only that he might take over the extractor mantle from Liberatore he just slows the game down and picks great options.

3. We did better in the Pickett / Weightman off. He's going to be a star for us.

Grantysghost
18-06-2022, 11:47 PM
1. The AFL wanted a shoot out and they got it. Is that what people like watching?

2. English gets better every game

3. Many thought Libba was cooked, and he looked it in the first few games, but he has been fantastic this season

Pt 1 - did you hear Carey salivating, left me nauseated. We are stripping the organic nature of the game away for the sake of goals and ads.

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 12:04 AM
Pt 1 - did you hear Carey salivating, left me nauseated. We are stripping the organic nature of the game away for the sake of goals and ads.

Pt 1-most of what Carey does and says leaves me nauseated. Hopefully the fact he's gone from Friday night football to Saturday night football means that the next stop for him is Sunday afternoons and then off the air completely.

MrMahatma
19-06-2022, 12:14 AM
1. Schache delivering into F50 is smoking hot
2. Our team defence is kind of awkward at the moment. End to end stuff killed us.
3. West will win a B&F one year. His profession is great and he’s a skilled and smart footballer

Vred
19-06-2022, 12:24 AM
1. West is currently pouring the cement for our best 22, it hasn't hardened yet but his a few games off cementing it for good

2. Weightman > Pickett

3. Give Naughton support and look what happens, bags.

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 12:29 AM
1. Schache delivering into F50 is smoking hot
2. Our team defence is kind of awkward at the moment. End to end stuff killed us.
3. West will win a B&F one year. His profession is great and he’s a skilled and smart footballer

This is why I hope we hang onto Shaq and he comes good. He can do things with the ball that very few players on the list can do.

The Underdog
19-06-2022, 12:33 AM
This is why I hope we hang onto Shaq and he comes good. He can do things with the ball that very few players on the list can do.

Unfortunately he’s managed to spend 7 years on an AFL list and not get any physically stronger. It’s baffling.

angelopetraglia
19-06-2022, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately he’s managed to spend 7 years on an AFL list and not get any physically stronger. It’s baffling.

His skills are elite. That has never been the question. What is under scutinity is his ability to be hard at contest. To physically impact the game. We have not see that improve much since he came to the club. He either simply doesn't have it or is a late, late bloomer.

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 12:39 AM

It's also a mystery to me that players can do nothing but train full time almost 10 months of the year and their skills deteriorate. How do they become words kicks being on an AFL list?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2022, 12:44 AM
1. West is important; courageous, strong, good at ground level and good in the air. Improvement has been dramatic. Bringing others into the game.

2. We can't make the 8 defending like this.

3. Libba has turned it around. Looked cooked, has been in rare form lately. Great to see.

FrediKanoute
19-06-2022, 01:23 AM
1. Cody is not just a great footballer, he is guts personified....and he does it all with a smile;

2. The Bont just oooozes class. When the heat came in the last quarter he lifter to make sure the lid stayed on;

3. We are a better team with a couple of mobile talls in the F50. It creates havoc for the opposition.

SquirrelGrip
19-06-2022, 02:29 AM
1. Cody is better than Toby Greene until he has a dislocated elbow.

2. Macrae is a hard tackling inside beast.

3. Three tall forwards is best for Naughty.

jeemak
19-06-2022, 03:16 AM

He needs to put on more weight and just go for it if he is to become a regular senior player.

Running and kicking aren't an issue for him, confidence borne from being strong and able to influence a contest is. Load him up, it's time he stopped 'developing'.

jeemak
19-06-2022, 03:30 AM
1. Cody is super tough. What he copped today wasn't a subluxation of a joint, it was a genuine dislocation and having done one myself his went the wrong way if you're going to have one (mine went the other way and was easy to put back in myself with a panicked whack - Cody's was awful)

2. Quick end to end games that see scores produced from errors and lazy defending aren't that much fun to watch. Strategy and team defence is good to watch and the viewing public has overtaken what the AFL and the old farts influencing how the game should be played need to get with the program

3. The unlikableness of Toby Greene increases exponentially if you let him do what he wants. He'll get lauded as a genius for what he did to us today, but really, some honest defending based on fundamentals would have put a stop to his influence in a lot of instances

Additionals.......sorry

4. There might have been a bit in the way we set up early with a few talls playing higher and our smalls getting the job done early. What's said in the media by senior coaches during the week can impact how things pan out

5. What's happening with Keath is between the ears and he'll be fine with some confidence. He shorted an effort on our first goal and we got lucky, and did the same a few times throughout the game. There's something going on with him, not sure whether it's his body or just general form/ confidence, but he isn't cooked. He just just needs to get his head right

Happy Days
19-06-2022, 03:36 AM
https://youtu.be/n5h0qHwNrHk

Then. Now. Forever.

Imagine actually pretending to care about this loser club.

jeemak
19-06-2022, 04:23 AM
https://youtu.be/n5h0qHwNrHk

Then. Now. Forever.

Imagine actually pretending to care about this loser club.

You jackarse....I was going to go to bed but now I need to get the headphones on.

Dancin' Douggy
19-06-2022, 11:50 AM
1. Libba is having a renaissance. It even looks like he has developed a turn of pace. Managed to motor out of congestion more than once. He looks faster to me now than he ever has. And oh those hands and that velvet slipper.
2. Bailey Dale now totally owns the half back distributor/ controller role. Cleans up and organises chaos over and over again. Always feel the pressure valve release when the ball is in his hands. Looks supremely capable and confident.
3. GWS home crowd very poor. Looks like another AFL financial black hole.

ratsmac
19-06-2022, 12:48 PM
1. Defensively we sucked. I hate being a negative Nancy after a good win. But the ease that GWS could transition the ball from D50 to F50 should have alarm bells ringing.

2. West can play the small forward roll we so desperately need. He can take a contested mark and also be great at ground level. He definitely has West blood in those veins

3. 3 prong tall forwards works well. To see Naughts contest 1v1 instead of 1v3 was a sight for sore eyes.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2022, 01:02 PM
1.Both Schache and Marra did their jobs without starring. Schache's 6 marks were important. Set Naughts up for 3 goals between them too.

2. As well as playing a great game Macrae's 9 tackles were sensational. Loved it. Closely followed by Dunkley's 8 tackles and yes wait for it Schache's 6 tackles.

3. During the week on a sportsbet waffle program Goddard presented stats that showed T. Green plays better against the dogs than any other team. How right he was.

azabob
19-06-2022, 01:04 PM
1.Both Schache and Marra did their jobs without starring. Schache's 6 marks were important. Set Naughts up for 3 goals between them too.

2. As well as playing a great game Macrae's 9 tackles were sensational. Loved it. Closely followed by Dunkley's 8 tackles and yes wait for it Schache's 6 tackles.

3. During the week on a sportsbet waffle program Goddard presented stats that showed T. Green plays better against the dogs than any other team. How right he was.

Love all of these B4L.

Schache and Marra need to play the next couple of weeks until Bruce is ready.

Macrae's tackling especially in the third quarter was the catalyst for our five goal run on.

Sportsbet waffle made me laugh!

Bullies
19-06-2022, 02:20 PM
1. Boy we miss Easton Wood more than i thought we would. He can play on both big/small and intercept or punch depending on the situation.

2. West is going to be a midfield beast in years to come.

3. We will miss Doc as well. He is the General down back and a lot of people don't realise the leadership role he plays down back telling players who and when to go.

Mofra
19-06-2022, 04:32 PM
1. Bont is playing hurt - really hurt - but still has his moments that change the game.

2, West has an aerial ability I did not know existed. I've thought of him before as a Viney-type player but he's surpassing my expectations.

3. He's never mentioned with our stars, but I want the ball in Scott's hands when we're in the front half. I think he's a long term attacking wingman and a 100+ game player

azabob
19-06-2022, 04:40 PM
1. Bont is playing hurt - really hurt - but still has his moments that change the game.

2, West has an aerial ability I did not know existed. I've thought of him before as a Viney-type player but he's surpassing my expectations.

3. He's never mentioned with our stars, but I want the ball in Scott's hands when we're in the front half. I think he's a long term attacking wingman and a 100+ game player

I really like Scott. Extremely versatile; can play back, forward and wing. Extremely unassuming they way he goes about it.

jeemak
19-06-2022, 04:49 PM
Scott's finish on the run was a thing of beauty.

Testekill
19-06-2022, 05:55 PM
1. Bont needs to get healed up, he hasn't been himself all year and last night it felt like he was actively hurting us out there.

2. West has gotten much better at the team things.

3. This forward structure works; Schache is smart enough to lead away from Naughton so that he drags his man away from the contest while Jamarra had an almost game. We need to keep with a three tall structure like this so that Naughton not only can have more opportunities one out but also so that Weightman isn't expected to play as the defacto third tall.

DOG GOD
19-06-2022, 06:19 PM
1. Bont is injured and has been carrying all year. To go deeper we need the Bont of 2021

2. Our defence is as shaky as a barn in a tornado. Gardner/O’Brien is no better than Gardner/Cordy when it comes to brain fades. We desperately need a QUALITY KPD.

3. West WILL make it as long as Bevo doesn’t drop him after 2 bad performances.

azabob
19-06-2022, 06:21 PM
1. Bont is injured and has been carrying all year. To go deeper we need the Bont of 2021

2. Our defence is as shaky as a barn in a tornado. Gardner/O’Brien are no better than Gardner/Cordy when it comes to brain fades. We desperately need a QUALITY KPD.

3. West WILL make it as long as Bevo doesn’t drop him after 2 bad performances.

West will make; hopefully it is with us and not another club.

GVGjr
19-06-2022, 06:24 PM
1. Bont needs to get healed up, he hasn't been himself all year and last night it felt like he was actively hurting us out there.

He's just come off a break as well. His 2nd half was vastly better than his first.

GVGjr
19-06-2022, 06:26 PM
West will make; hopefully it is with us and not another club.

Even with the form he has displayed over the last few weeks you think we might lose him?

azabob
19-06-2022, 07:10 PM
Even with the form he has displayed over the last few weeks you think we might lose him?

If he plays for the remainder of the season I think he stays, but if we play chook lotto with selections he will leave. From the outside looking in I think he has been hard done by.

Opposition clubs would be sounding out his management for sure.

whythelongface
19-06-2022, 07:26 PM
If he plays for the remainder of the season I think he stays, but if we play chook lotto with selections he will leave. From the outside looking in I think he has been hard done by.

Opposition clubs would be sounding out his management for sure.

It is up to him if he stays in the team. If he continues to play like he has over the last month then he will. He has been excellent and will only continue to develop. It is a relief that he is starting to show some consistency. Looks like he has also put on some size.

whythelongface
19-06-2022, 07:32 PM
Nothing new learnt but:

1. As others have mentioned Schache and Marra provide Naughton with more freedom for one on one contests. Great to have them back if they continue this role.
2. On Schache whilst quiet on the first half he started to get more involved in the 3rd. Looks like he can continue to have a role with the team even when Bruce returns.
3. Macrae was the difference last night. Tackled his guts out and just kept on going (like he always does)

Bullies
19-06-2022, 09:07 PM
He's just come off a break as well. His 2nd half was vastly better than his first. Even whe he is breaking tackles or running down the ground he looks hurt. It is impacting his decision making. He also looks heavier than in the past.

Dry Rot
19-06-2022, 09:23 PM
1. Over the years, it has been easy to focus on Shache's deficiencies rather than his attributes. Last night he showed his attributes - terrific field kicking and forward craft, perhaps the best in the team at these. Hope he stays in the team.

2. West continues to surprise, showing some forward and aerial abilities aside from his hardness. Like to see him have some good time in the midfield.

3. Giants still have some very good players, but after failing in 2016 they have been in decline. Time for a rebuild.

Grantysghost
19-06-2022, 09:52 PM
1. Over the years, it has been easy to focus on Shache's deficiencies rather than his attributes. Last night he showed his attributes - terrific field kicking and forward craft, perhaps the best in the team at these. Hope he stays in the team.

2. West continues to surprise, showing some forward and aerial abilities aside from his hardness. Like to see him have some good time in the midfield.

3. Giants still have some very good players, but after failing in 2016 they have been in decline. Time for a rebuild.

And West doesn't take a backwards step either. No surprise to see Libba and West involved here flying the flag for English.
Preuss got a week for that tackle.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd2G6Zgc/Screenshot-20220619-204948-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
19-06-2022, 10:19 PM
And West doesn't take a backwards step either. No surprise to see Libba and West involved here flying the flag for English.
Preuss got a week for that tackle.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd2G6Zgc/Screenshot-20220619-204948-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Has he been charged?

Grantysghost
19-06-2022, 10:23 PM
Has he been charged?

Yes. GWS RUCKMAN Braydon Preuss has been hit with his third suspension of the year, this time for a dangerous tackle on the Western Bulldogs' Tim English.

Preuss slung English to the ground in a tackle during the Giants' 20-point loss on Saturday night, causing his opponent's head to hit the turf.

The Match Review Officer assessed the action as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2022, 10:53 PM
1. Rhylee West, if he keeps on this path, he could really develop into a serious AFL player. The club has really held him to a high standard since he was drafted in 2018. He's not had anything handed to him, and on what he's shown this year, he looks increasingly primed to take the next leap in his development. He looks ready to be an impactful player at this level now!

2. We have to persevere with this forward set up from here on in. Its now a great opportunity for either Schache or Jamarra to stake their claim to the one tall forward position that will be on offer once Bruce is fit and ready to go in hopefully a few week's time. I know 'One swallow does not a summer make', but prima facie the whole forward line looked better equipped to have an impact in multiple tactical scenarios on Saturday night. It looked way more balanced with Schache and Jamarra up there, and we need to test this again.

3. I think our need to find a top line key defender outweighs our need for forward/ruck role player. As much as I love seeing us be involved in the draft in a meaningful capacity, I really think this is the year Sam Power's strategy will move heavily towards a more trade focused posture. We've been fortunate to land 2 very high draft picks in the last couple of years through NGA and F/S respectively: we should now be trying to prioritise strategic needs for the now come season's end.

bornadog
19-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Yes. GWS RUCKMAN Braydon Preuss has been hit with his third suspension of the year, this time for a dangerous tackle on the Western Bulldogs' Tim English.

Preuss slung English to the ground in a tackle during the Giants' 20-point loss on Saturday night, causing his opponent's head to hit the turf.

The Match Review Officer assessed the action as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact

Did he hit his head on the ground? I thought he didn't as I watched carefully as I was worried about concussion and missing next week.

However, typical GWS, they try and hurt by ramming you into the turf. Similar to Richmond and they just get away with it.

Grantysghost
19-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Did he hit his head on the ground? I thought he didn't as I watched carefully as I was worried about concussion and missing next week.

However, typical GWS, they try and hurt by ramming you into the turf. Similar to Richmond and they just get away with it.

I believe he did yes.

macca
20-06-2022, 03:09 AM
1. Schache field kicking is elite and forward craft on the lead. We really should play him on the wing, like the way Richardson did in his last season for the tigers. The only thing that makes me nervous is his lack of aggression and how he gets out positioned by smaller opponents.

2. Growth in our players: West is going to make it. His got size ( 182 cm /85 kg) , skill and football smarts. His first quarter was outstanding. English all round game went to another level tonight.

3. The back 6 makes me nervous at times. Duryea is so important as the general marshalling the guys to the correct spots. There were glimpses of Garnder taking good intercept marks.

kruder
20-06-2022, 09:53 PM
Loving the Westy comments, he has blown away my expectations I didn't think he was clean enough to make it at the level. It's only early but he also looked more natural forward than a player like Vandermeer, he chose the right options, added the right amount of aggression and more importantly finished off his work. He is my biggest learning from the weekend.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-06-2022, 10:13 PM
Nothing new learnt but:

1. As others have mentioned Schache and Marra provide Naughton with more freedom for one on one contests. Great to have them back if they continue this role.
2. On Schache whilst quiet on the first half he started to get more involved in the 3rd. Looks like he can continue to have a role with the team even when Bruce returns.
3. Macrae was the difference last night. Tackled his guts out and just kept on going (like he always does)
If we play to Schache’s strengths given his ability to play as a leading forward and excellent goal kicking talent he should become a regular fixture including as a back up ruck man to English.
Our defence is still a concern given the way Cameron and Toby Greene were given far too much latitude. If Bruce Schache and Marra were to give us a new look forward line together with Weightman it would then free up Naughton to stabilise a shaky defence with Bailey Dale the only regular stand out.
Duryea having played in 2 Premierships at Hawthorn is a big loss and hard to replace.
Whilst Macrae was outstanding again in our win against GWS, both English and Liberatore also were outstanding in giving us first use of the ball in the midfield.

Mantis
21-06-2022, 08:44 AM
If we play to Schache’s strengths given his ability to play as a leading forward and excellent goal kicking talent he should become a regular fixture including as a back up ruck man to English.
Our defence is still a concern given the way Cameron and Toby Greene were given far too much latitude. If Bruce Schache and Marra were to give us a new look forward line together with Weightman it would then free up Naughton to stabilise a shaky defence with Bailey Dale the only regular stand out.
Duryea having played in 2 Premierships at Hawthorn is a big loss and hard to replace.
Whilst Macrae was outstanding again in our win against GWS, both English and Liberatore also were outstanding in giving us first use of the ball in the midfield.

Bailey is a strong offensive weapon from defence... but I question his ability to actually defend which is a key part of his role. He needs to improve as a 1:1 defender... like the rest of our back 6.

Bulldog4life
21-06-2022, 10:17 AM

No no no no NBP. He's close to winning the Coleman. What did Jack Dyer say. Champs to the forward line dills to the backline...or words to that effect.