PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 16 V Brisbane At The GABBA On Thursday Night

Scraggers
17-06-2022, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 15 match against Hawthorn for our Round 16 match against Brisbane at The GABBA on Thursday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
24-06-2022, 10:02 PM
Bump

bornadog
24-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Out: Richards, Sweet

In English, Cleary (depending how he goes tomorrow)

Unknown Hunter - see tomorrow as well

azabob
24-06-2022, 11:00 PM
Out: Richards, Sweet

In English, Cleary (depending how he goes tomorrow)

Unknown Hunter - see tomorrow as well

With such a short turnaround I think English will miss again considering his history.

bornadog
24-06-2022, 11:01 PM
With such a short turnaround I think English will miss again considering his history.

I hope he is ok

whythelongface
24-06-2022, 11:16 PM

I fear you may be right. No doubt that we will be conservative in the management of English. Which is good from a health and well being perspective

GVGjr
24-06-2022, 11:32 PM
The short turnaround complicates things but Hunter for Richards seems like a reasonable chance.
McNeil probably needs a spell at Footscray. I'll be interested to see who puts their hand up tomorrow for a spot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-06-2022, 11:34 PM
In: English, Hunter
Out: Sweet, Richards

Happy Days
24-06-2022, 11:44 PM
In: English, Hunter
Out: Sweet, Richards

Same for me, although I don’t rate O-Mac and could live with another week off for Tim if he really needs it.

bornadog
24-06-2022, 11:45 PM

6 days? not that short

GVGjr
24-06-2022, 11:49 PM
6 days? not that short

Not for English but 5 days for someone like Hunter.

bornadog
24-06-2022, 11:52 PM
Not for English but 5 days for someone like Hunter.

true, but Aza was talking English

azabob
24-06-2022, 11:55 PM
true, but Aza was talking English

It is right on his 12 days and I think the medical team will be conservative with his return. But hey, I said Weightman shouldn’t play during the week, so what do I know.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-06-2022, 11:55 PM
Bruce would have to put in a very hard game tomorrow to come in with Marra and Shache firing up.
They deserve a run at it.

azabob
24-06-2022, 11:56 PM
Bruce would have to put in a very hard game tomorrow to come in with Marra and Shache firing up.
They deserve a run at it.

Bruce is out injured for a week or two with hamstring tightness.

But yes agree Marra and Shaq deserve a run at it.

GVGjr
25-06-2022, 12:03 AM
Pivotal game for us. Have to get the selections right.

bornadog
25-06-2022, 12:54 AM
It is right on his 12 days and I think the medical team will be conservative with his return. But hey, I said Weightman shouldn’t play during the week, so what do I know.

Not saying your wrong and probably right. You were correct about Weightman, but Bevo said he wouldn't play and he did. On English he said he would play, but he probably won't.:)

kruder
25-06-2022, 01:16 AM
Bevo already said English unlikely.

FrediKanoute
25-06-2022, 02:00 AM
Out: MComb, Richards, McNeil, Sweet

In: English, Cleary, Wallis

Bumper Bulldogs
25-06-2022, 07:58 AM
Out - McNeil, Richards Weightman

In - Hunter, Wallis, Roake Smith to tag Neale

GVGjr
25-06-2022, 10:57 AM
There are some articles saying English will miss against Brisbane. I think we need to assume he won't be playing next week.

Bulldog4life
25-06-2022, 11:04 AM

On a positive note Webb said English was around the club during the week. Gave the impression he was feeling better.

Bulldog4life
25-06-2022, 11:05 AM
Todays VFL game will give us a better indication of the changes.

azabob
25-06-2022, 11:07 AM
There are some articles saying English will miss against Brisbane. I think we need to assume he won't be playing next week.

Beveridge pretty much said so I’m his press conference

bornadog
25-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Out - McNeil, Richards Weightman

In - Hunter, Wallis, Roake Smith to tag Neale

You need another out. McNeil was medical sub, or one of your ins should be medical sub

MrMahatma
25-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Beveridge pretty much said so I’m his press conference

Which is what he said about Cody last week.

Really, when it’s injuries or whatever, Bevo’s comments about selection to the media are just answers cause he has to give one. He’s not going to give Brisbane the luxury of planning with more info than they need to have. English may not play, but I’ve no doubt the decision hasn’t been made yet and that Bevo doesn’t care about whether what he says is accurate.

azabob
25-06-2022, 03:22 PM
Which is what he said about Cody last week.

Really, when it’s injuries or whatever, Bevo’s comments about selection to the media are just answers cause he has to give one. He’s not going to give Brisbane the luxury of planning with more info than they need to have. English may not play, but I’ve no doubt the decision hasn’t been made yet and that Bevo doesn’t care about whether what he says is accurate.

Yeah that’s a good call. Bit naive on my part.

azabob
25-06-2022, 03:32 PM
With Duyrea and now Richards are we forced to bring in Cleary?

Lions have a number of medium forwards which can cause grief. Hopefully Zac Bailey is out for another week.

The Underdog
25-06-2022, 03:35 PM
The massive issue for us, is with Duryea and Richards out, we have no small/mid defenders with the capacity to go with Cameron or Bailey. Crozier was ok last night but lacks pace. Scott may go back but I’m less than convinced by him as a defender. Williams maybe, but he’s been much better up the ground this year.
I can’t see anyone else on the 2’s. Cleary has a future but that’d be a big ask.

Happy Days
25-06-2022, 03:48 PM
The massive issue for us, is with Duryea and Richards out, we have no small/mid defenders with the capacity to go with Cameron or Bailey. Crozier was ok last night but lacks pace. Scott may go back but I’m less than convinced by him as a defender. Williams maybe, but he’s been much better up the ground this year.
I can’t see anyone else on the 2’s. Cleary has a future but that’d be a big ask.

Especially this week against Cameron and Bailey. This small defender crisis could not have come at a worse time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-06-2022, 04:00 PM
As much as I have really liked the move of Williams to the wing, I think moving him back for 1 game is probably the move that causes the least disruption to the team. Williams knows what they're trying to do down there and I think could step into the role with more effect than Cleary could.

If Hunter has capacity (given the 5 day break for him) then I'd bring him in to play wing. McComb can maybe alternate with him if his fitness is an issue?

bornadog
25-06-2022, 09:02 PM
Ed has been ruled out for next week.

If English misses, then one change.

In Hunter

Out: Richards

BornInDroopSt'54
25-06-2022, 10:02 PM
Ed has been rules out for next week.

If English misses, then one change.

In Hunter

Out: Richards
Yep and switch Williams back.

Go_Dogs
26-06-2022, 03:12 PM
In: Darcy
Out: Brisbane

bornadog
26-06-2022, 04:55 PM
Yep and switch Williams back.

Nah, Scott takes over Richards role like he did on Friday. Hunter to wing.

Insufficient Intent
27-06-2022, 06:37 PM
Nah, Scott takes over Richards role like he did on Friday. Hunter to wing.

Scott does seem to be improving strongly at this time. A bit hard for me to judge accurately with only the TV to go by, but his kicking accuracy is up a notch, he does get into the right places to be effective and he does go the distance; our top rated GPS tracker last game. MC have continued to field him, so he must be ticking their boxes.

The Doctor
28-06-2022, 12:10 PM
I'll go with this

B: Crozier, Gardner, Cordy

HB: Dale, Keath, Daniel

C: Hunter, Libba, Williams

HF: Treloar, Schache, JJ

F: West, Naughton, Jamarra

R: Sweet, Bont, Macrae

INT: Scott, Dunkley, Weightman, Bedendo

EMG: McComb, O'Brien, Khamis

We still have a few best 22 to come back = English, Smith, Richards, Duryea, Bruce, Maclean, Hannan

Mantis
28-06-2022, 12:16 PM
I'll go with this

We still have a few best 22 to come back = English, Smith, Richards, Duryea, Bruce, Maclean, Hannan

Why Cordy over O'Brien?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2022, 12:20 PM
Why Cordy over O'Brien?

You could have stopped after the first two words ;)

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 12:35 PM
I'll go with this

So the ins are Cordy, Hunter and Bedendo and the outs are Richards, McComb and O'Brien

angelopetraglia
28-06-2022, 12:41 PM
From the presser today.

The West Australian trained over the weekend and at the Whitten Oval on Tuesday morning and is yet to be ruled out officially, but Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said English is more likely to return against Sydney at the SCG next weekend.

"We will probably give him another week (to recover)," Beveridge told reporters on Tuesday morning.

"He is training now and seems to be fine. Hopefully he’ll be available for the Sydney game."

The Doctor
28-06-2022, 01:04 PM
Why Cordy over O'Brien?

O'Brien was very disappointing v Hawthorn. Cordy has been playing well at Footscray and the Lions have the 3 big guys Daniher, Hipwood & McStay waiting for us. No other options really.

Axe Man
28-06-2022, 01:17 PM
'We will probably give him another week': Dogs' ruck call (https://www.afl.com.au/news/789202/-we-will-probably-give-him-another-week-dogs-ruck-call)

WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Tim English is set to miss a second straight game due to the delayed concussion he suffered in the round 13 win over Greater Western Sydney.

The 24-year-old, who inked a two-year contract extension last week, was ruled out of last Friday night’s game against Hawthorn after reporting delayed concussion symptoms after arriving back from Sydney.

English exits concussion protocols on Thursday morning, theoretically in time for Thursday night’s crunch game against Brisbane at the Gabba, but the club is expected to take a cautious approach with English given his recent history with concussion.

The West Australian trained over the weekend and at the Whitten Oval on Tuesday morning and is yet to be ruled out officially, but Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said English is more likely to return against Sydney at the SCG next weekend.

"We will probably give him another week (to recover)," Beveridge told reporters on Tuesday morning.

"He is training now and seems to be fine. Hopefully he’ll be available for the Sydney game."

English missed four games last year due to concussion after copping a brutal knee to the jaw from teammate Aaron Naughton in April, after being the first player ruled out under the AFL’s concussion protocols following a head knock in an intra club match in February 2020.

The ruckman has only featured in eight of the first 15 rounds due to hamstring, illness and concussion issues, which have hampered an otherwise impressive 2022 campaign, but is expected to be right to face Sydney at the SCG next weekend.

Ed Richards is in concussion protocols and won’t make the trip to Brisbane after being substituted out of last Friday night’s win over Hawthorn.

Josh Bruce’s return to AFL level will be delayed by another week with the key forward to miss a second VFL game after injuring his hamstring following his return from a knee reconstruction earlier this month.

The 30-year-old has played one game in the VFL but needs to play at least a full game for Footscray before he is cleared to return to the senior side for the first time since rupturing his ACL in round 20 last season.

"Josh will do a bit of training today. He did injure his hamstring. It’s only minor. We don’t anticipate he will be out for too long. He won’t play this week," Beveridge said.

Beveridge said the Dogs will consider recalling premiership wingman Lachie Hunter for his first game since taking personal leave after round five.

Hunter returned at VFL level a fortnight ago and has been one of the better performers for Footscray, collecting 26 disposals, six inside 50s and five clearances against the Box Hill Hawks on Saturday.

"Lachie’s name will be spoken about. He played quite well in the victory here against Box Hill," he said.

"Played in a different role to make sure he could have the most impact at state league level and he played well. We are likely to have a couple of changes."

Mantis
28-06-2022, 01:18 PM
O'Brien was very disappointing v Hawthorn. Cordy has been playing well at Footscray and the Lions have the 3 big guys Daniher, Hipwood & McStay waiting for us. No other options really.

I probably didn't watch him as closely as others, but what made you feel this way?

azabob
28-06-2022, 02:13 PM

Do you think that was because there was no obvious match up? It seems he can't play on smalls, only talls.

Sedat
28-06-2022, 02:14 PM
Bedendo confirmed in this week. Really looking forward to seeing him in action at AFL level.

angelopetraglia
28-06-2022, 02:19 PM
Bedendo confirmed in this week. Really looking forward to seeing him in action at AFL level.

Super exciting. Looking forward to him strutting his stuff at the GABBA on Thursday night.

angelopetraglia
28-06-2022, 02:19 PM
These videos never get old. Love it. https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1541619332064563200?s=20&t=AN7zfqZBcVdIm0r7D83AeQ

hujsh
28-06-2022, 02:23 PM
These videos never get old. Love it. https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1541619332064563200?s=20&t=AN7zfqZBcVdIm0r7D83AeQ

Love watching Bont react to the initial build up

Grantysghost
28-06-2022, 02:30 PM

Wowee that's awesome he looks a real talent.

Happy Days
28-06-2022, 02:32 PM
Big game for a debut but good luck to him. Assuming this means Williams to the backline?

Grantysghost
28-06-2022, 02:33 PM

Bont officially worst ever poker face xD

Grantysghost
28-06-2022, 02:33 PM
Big game for a debut but good luck to him. Assuming this means Williams to the backline?

Haven't you learnt by now?

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-06-2022, 02:42 PM
Do you think that was because there was no obvious match up? It seems he can't play on smalls, only talls.

The obvious match up on the smaller mobile Moore was either Duryea or Richards.
The placement of. O’Brien on Moore was an odd choice.

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 02:44 PM

It's a fair observation and probably why he was moved forward for a period of time. Given his athleticism I was hoping he had a better range of opponents than just the ability to play on the taller guys.

azabob
28-06-2022, 02:51 PM

Options are Williams, Scott (he was ok on Friday night) or JJ.

I hope not JJ as his game on Friday night was extremely good.

azabob
28-06-2022, 02:52 PM
It's a fair observation and probably why he was moved forward for a period of time. Given his athleticism I was hoping he had a better range of opponents than just the ability to play on the taller guys.

I'm also surprised at his lack of ability of playing small.

If he isn't able to play small it does limit us with what we can do flexibility wise.

Happy Days
28-06-2022, 02:58 PM
Was the issue to anyone actually with Williams’ defending? To me he was just trying to do way too much in tight and coughing up goals on turnover, rather than any actual defensive lapses.

Lions aren’t exactly the best pressure team in the world so could be a sound move.

azabob
28-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Was the issue to anyone actually with Williams’ defending? To me he was just trying to do way too much in tight and coughing up goals on turnover, rather than any actual defensive lapses.

Lions aren’t exactly the best pressure team in the world so could be a sound move.

I'm in more of the camp lets keep Williams on the wing as I'm liking his progression and upside.

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2022, 03:06 PM

We all know Bevo.

Bedendo straight to the ruck :cool:

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 03:08 PM
I'm in more of the camp lets keep Williams on the wing as I'm liking his progression and upside.

Given Bedendo is in and Hunter a chance does that change your thinking?

Happy Days
28-06-2022, 03:08 PM

Definitely, but there’s a mini crisis on for small defenders right now and we really need to win this one. If we’re gonna “try” Scott then I think we should do it in a week where the other team doesn’t have Charlie Cameron and Zac Bailey.

hujsh
28-06-2022, 03:19 PM
We all know Bevo.

Bedendo straight to the ruck :cool:

You jest but I did see him take a ruck contest or two on the weekend

azabob
28-06-2022, 03:21 PM
Given Bedendo is in and Hunter a chance does that change your thinking?

Definitely, but there’s a mini crisis on for small defenders right now and we really need to win this one. If we’re gonna “try” Scott then I think we should do it in a week where the other team doesn’t have Charlie Cameron and Zac Bailey.

Yes, Bedendo in does change my thinking. I hadn't actually processed it yet.

I think Williams back is probably the best option as he has been there and done it before.

Just on Scott he went back on Friday night and didn't disgrace himself, he also went back against Sydney and did well.

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 03:39 PM

If I ever get ho-hum about watching club video's like this it's time to give following the club away.
Genuine excitement from the players and the supporters.

bornadog
28-06-2022, 03:42 PM

I think Williams back is probably the best option as he has been there and done it before.

Just on Scott he went back on Friday night and didn't disgrace himself, he also went back against Sydney and did well.

Any chance Williams is dropped? I don't think he has played well the last two weeks?

Bedendo has been playing wing, but can play forward as well.

If Hunter comes in, who is dropped?

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Any chance Williams is dropped? I don't think he has played well the last two weeks?

The Doc's team look's about right to me although I wouldn't have added Cordy

Richards is a definite out and McComb a chance albeit he will be a touch unlucky.

bornadog
28-06-2022, 03:46 PM

Richards is a definite out and McComb a chance albeit he will be a touch unlucky.

I can't see Cordy coming in either

The Doctor
28-06-2022, 03:54 PM

Ohhhh Bedendooooo You Beauty

azabob
28-06-2022, 03:56 PM

I'd back Williams in another week.

Hunter and McComb are a straight swap.
Bedendo and Richards appear to be the other change.

Bullies
28-06-2022, 07:41 PM

Richards is a definite out and McComb a chance albeit he will be a touch unlucky. McComb unlucky. I would say he has been lucky to hold his spot as long as he has. I still have no idea what he offers and people are tossing up Hunter or McComb. A half fit Hunter will do.

Insufficient Intent
28-06-2022, 09:00 PM

I think Scott did a reasonable job filling in for injured Ed. He's developing as a versatile type. Moves well, covers ground and seems to have plenty between the ears.

azabob
28-06-2022, 09:11 PM
I think Scott did a reasonable job filling in for injured Ed. He's developing as a versatile type. Moves well, covers ground and seems to have plenty between the ears.

I’m a big fan of Scott. Agree with everything you’ve said. He also is a very good kick for goal.

If you have a look at Naughtons highlight package against the giants you will be amazed how often Scott appeared in the chains of play.

bornadog
28-06-2022, 11:56 PM
I’m a big fan of Scott. Agree with everything you’ve said. He also is a very good kick for goal.

If you have a look at Naughtons highlight package against the giants you will be amazed how often Scott appeared in the chains of play.

There was a stat where Scott was in the top 10 in AFL for being in chains of play resulting in goals. Bont was 4th

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 09:03 AM
Finishing work early today to take the family to the open training session this arvo at the GABBA.
If the kids don't distract me I'll try and post some observations later today or tomorrow.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 02:05 PM
Callum Twomey predicting Schache and Richards out for Bedendo and Hunter.

Surely Schache stays in.

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 02:12 PM
Callum Twomey predicting Schache and Richards out for Bedendo and Hunter.

Surely Schache stays in.

Interesting. Not sure why Schache would be dropped based on his performances.

Grantysghost
29-06-2022, 02:17 PM

Darcy? It's time.

If those are the changes who is second ruck?

hujsh
29-06-2022, 02:37 PM
Darcy? It's time.

Already named. Bedendo. Baptism of fire

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 02:40 PM
Darcy? It's time.

I hate to say it but probably Naughton but I'll believe it when I see it.

mjp
29-06-2022, 02:40 PM

I would love to be inside enough to know the answer to this.

Sometimes selections that are obvious from the inside are mystifying from the outside (thinking of my own club right now)...I would be very surprised at Schache missing but he does seem to be on an exceptionally short leash.

Happy Days
29-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Not to say that it won’t happen, but Twomey is just guessing and rarely nails these changes.

If Hunter comes in then it’s gotta be for McComb. How do you change a forward line with 260 points over 2 weeks.

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 02:48 PM
I would love to be inside enough to know the answer to this.

Sometimes selections that are obvious from the inside are mystifying from the outside (thinking of my own club right now)...I would be very surprised at Schache missing but he does seem to be on an exceptionally short leash.

I thought his performances over the last couple of weeks have been more than encouraging. Just as importantly his form at Footscray was strong the weeks before that.

From my perspective it would be a hard omission to explain if true.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Not to say that it won’t happen, but Twomey is just guessing and rarely nails these changes.

If Hunter comes in then it’s gotta be for McComb. How do you change a forward line with 260 points over 2 weeks.

Agree Twomey just guessing

Happy Days
29-06-2022, 03:01 PM
Just saw that Lyons has been ruled fit to play, meaning that the Lions injury list is down to Darcy Gardiner (who sucks anyway).

Meanwhile, the brave, courageous, generally handsome Bulldogs are missing 5 best 22 players plus whatever you think LVDM is, and are travelling interstate off consecutive 6 day breaks.

Brisbane would wanna win this one.

josie
29-06-2022, 04:05 PM
I’ll be upset if Schache is dropped. Showing real promise and dropping him now would dent his confidence. Has done enough to be retained, plus forward line works better with him in it. I think West & he have some chemistry based on watching replay last night.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Fellas are running behind schedule. Still yet to appear on the GABBA. Meant to kick off 25 mins ago.

jeemak
29-06-2022, 04:36 PM
It'll be nice to see Danjul again if that's the case.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 04:41 PM
They just starting to come out now.
Was advertised as 3 to 4pm, so have only paid for parking til 4:30pm,vso may not be able to stay for the full session.

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 04:47 PM
They just starting to come out now.
Was advertised as 3 to 4pm, so have only paid for parking til 4:30pm,vso may not be able to stay for the full session.

We don't take supporter engagement seriously enough. I saw them entering the ground on Twitter about 40 minutes ago.

Happy Days
29-06-2022, 04:50 PM
It'll be nice to see Danjul again if that's the case.

Think he’s busy staking out Fawkner Cemetery looking for signs of life.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 04:55 PM
Bevo just came over and thanked the approx 100 people who came to watch.
He wasn't aware that they'd told fans it was a 3-4pm session, and he apologised for them being late. Said they won't be doing much today.
It's drizzling a bit here now.

We probably won't hang around for too much longer unfortunately.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 05:02 PM
Looks like Sam Darcy has made the trip.

azabob
29-06-2022, 05:06 PM
Looks like Sam Darcy has made the trip.

VFL team is playing on Friday. Friday July 1st at 12.05pm, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex

Mantis
29-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Looks like Sam Darcy has made so would assume the trip.

The VFL team are playing on Friday so would assume the full contingent have made the trip… maybe giving Sam a taste of the pre match experience.

Mantis
29-06-2022, 05:17 PM
I’d be pretty disappointed if we dropped Schache… if so it screams of different rules for different fools.

Happy Days
29-06-2022, 05:23 PM
Schache for Bruce (eventually) - sure

Schache for Hunter - in what world. McComb is right there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 05:33 PM
No Caleb. Bailey Dale just mentioned he was crook.

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 05:35 PM
No Caleb. Bailey Dale just mentioned he was crook.

At training or playing?

BTW not sure why we are worried about a name a journo has plucked for his weekly ins and outs report. They are as reliable as something you would find on Big Footy. I saw it earlier and thought absolutely nothing of it. Might wait until the teams come out before we storm the Capitol.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 05:43 PM
At training or playing?

BTW not sure why we are worried about a name a journo has plucked for his weekly ins and outs report. They are as reliable as something you would find on Big Footy. I saw it earlier and thought absolutely nothing of it. Might wait until the teams come out before we storm the Capitol.

Are the teams announced tonight?

If Caleb is out then Hunter in for Caleb. McComb survives

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 05:47 PM
At training or playing?

Bailey indicated he was not playing and was left back in Melbourne.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Schache is only an out if injured. Bevo praised him and Marra after the game last week.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2022, 05:49 PM
Bailey indicated he was not playing and was left back in Melbourne.

Caleb and Richards both out are difficult to replace. Can imagine Brisbane sits on Dale.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 05:51 PM
The VFL team are playing on Friday so would assume the full contingent have made the trip… maybe giving Sam a taste of the pre match experience.

Do you know if the emergencies and Med sub can play in VFL ( if they don't play AFL of course)

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 05:52 PM
Are the teams announced tonight?

If Caleb is out then Hunter in for Caleb. McComb survives

Yes of course.

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Do you know if the emergencies and Med sub can play in VFL ( if they don't play AFL of course)

The emergencies always play in the VFL. I'm fairly sure I have heard of unused medical subs playing VFL when the game is after the AFL game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Not much to report from the session. Very light, and mainly shooting for goals, after a short series of drills.
Was funny when Bedendo nailed a shot on goal, they all got around him like they will if he gets one tomorrow night.

The guys were awesome after the run, all staying back, signing stuff and posing with fans for photos.
My son was absolutely starstruck getting to meet his heroes especially Naughts.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-06-2022, 07:20 PM
Was Daniel training scuttlebutt says he’s out

angelopetraglia
29-06-2022, 07:22 PM
In: Dom Bedendo, Lachie Hunter
Out: Ed Richards (concussion), Caleb Daniel (knee), Lachie McNeil (medi-sub)

Last week’s sub: L. McNeil (replaced E. Richards)

What’s wrong with Caleb’s knee?

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 07:24 PM

Last week’s sub: L. McNeil (replaced E. Richards)

What’s wrong with Caleb’s knee?

Conflicting reports but the ins were expected. Shame about Daniel. We will miss his decision making and accurate kicks.

angelopetraglia
29-06-2022, 07:26 PM
I don’t think the Lions have a single player missing from their best 22. They only have three players on their injury list.

angelopetraglia
29-06-2022, 07:31 PM
In two weeks we have lost three short/mid sized defenders in Caleb, Richards and Doc. That’s hard to cover.

azabob
29-06-2022, 07:32 PM
ROUND 16 TEAM
Brisbane v Western Bulldogs
Thursday 30 June, 7.20pm AEST
Gabba

B: Hayden Crozier, Ryan Gardner, Tim O’Brien
HB: Bailey Williams, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Jason Johanissen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Jordon Sweet, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Rhylee West, Dom Bedendo, Robbie McComb, Josh Schache
Emer: Sam Darcy, Buku Khamis, Lachie McNeil, Riley Garcia.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 07:37 PM
Hope Caleb's knee is ok. He has been troubled with it all season.

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 07:38 PM
I don’t think the Lions have a single player missing from their best 22. They only have three players on their injury list.

Zorko and Lyons are playing so they only have 1 player (Darcy Gardiner) out at the moment. He probably is best 22 in that he mostly plays, but not sure they lose much with Payne in his place as the third tall defender.

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 07:39 PM

They've got some credits on the bank over the last few years with their ability to keep their players on the ground.

bornadog
29-06-2022, 07:41 PM
Is this the tallest team we have fielded this year?

Axe Man
29-06-2022, 07:43 PM

Taking Caleb out raises the average height by 5cm. ;)

G-Mo77
29-06-2022, 07:48 PM
Not surprised Lachie is back. He played one of those games when they just looked too good at that level, was a class above anyone else on the ground. Mclean was similar but I doubt they'll rush him back in.

Daniel out hurts a lot! I would have promoted Cleary again but Benendo seems like they have deserved a shot at the big time.

Darcy must be close which is getting me excited!

bornadog
29-06-2022, 08:05 PM
Taking Caleb out raises the average height by 5cm. ;)

Very funny :D

Happy Days
29-06-2022, 08:19 PM
Daniel rinsed Brisbane in that final last year. He’s a bad out.

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 08:28 PM

When we played both Sweet and English we might have been taller.

kruder
29-06-2022, 10:08 PM
Hope Caleb's knee is ok. He has been troubled with it all season.

Yeah I thought there has been something wrong hasn't been at his best all year

MrMahatma
29-06-2022, 10:14 PM
Was hoping for English a surprise in. Hopefully Sweet can get it done in the middle.

mjp
29-06-2022, 10:32 PM
We don't take supporter engagement seriously enough. I saw them entering the ground on Twitter about 40 minutes ago.

Bevo just came over and thanked the approx 100 people who came to watch.
He wasn't aware that they'd told fans it was a 3-4pm session, and he apologised for them being late. Said they won't be doing much today.

I'm literally exhausted by the club continually dishing up this sort of stuff.

"I didn't know" is such a crap excuse. Are you trying to tell me there was no itinerary for the trip OR that it hadn't been shared with the senior coach??

Yep - we have been in Queensland a bit over the past couple of seasons with hubs and finals and what not, but going forward it will be a once every season thing AT BEST. You would think 'WE' (the club) would want to foster good relationships with what is an already disconnected supporter group. How hard is it???

GVGjr
29-06-2022, 11:52 PM

"I didn't know" is such a crap excuse. Are you trying to tell me there was no itinerary for the trip OR that it hadn't been shared with the senior coach??

Yep - we have been in Queensland a bit over the past couple of seasons with hubs and finals and what not, but going forward it will be a once every season thing AT BEST. You would think 'WE' (the club) would want to foster good relationships with what is an already disconnected supporter group. How hard is it???

It's been a real bug bear of mine for a number of years and while the Covid years would have been difficult there is no real excuse now. While there is always a caveat along the lines of 'training times are approximate and subject to change' when they advertise for those meet the players opportunities we should be able to stick to the schedule or at least get out there early and advise the supporters of the delay.
In a lot of instances we could be doing so much better.

Grantysghost
29-06-2022, 11:56 PM
It's been a real bug bear of mine for a number of years and while the Covid years would have been difficult there is no real excuse now. While there is always a caveat along the lines of 'training times are approximate and subject to change' when they advertise for those meet the players opportunities we should be able to stick to the schedule or at least get out there early and advise the supporters of the delay.
In a lot of instances we could be doing so much better.

Just noticed an invite to a training session for Player Sponsors next week.

Be nice if they put the date! Considering it's during work hours and all.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 12:06 AM
Just noticed an invite to a training session for Player Sponsors next week.

Be nice if they put the date! Considering it's during work hours and all.

I saw that, we play interstate again next week on Friday so I would imagine it's Tuesday.
It will also likely be part of a bigger event not Player Sponsor specific as the invitation sort of reads. It's coming across as an after thought for the sponsors to gauge their interest.
How do they miss putting a date on an invitation?... I'm really not expecting an answer :)

jeemak
30-06-2022, 02:08 AM
I don't think this is malicious intent, rather, incompetence/ lack of systems or process etc. It's still not great and needs to be fixed.

jeemak
30-06-2022, 02:12 AM
I look at our side and still think it's pretty strong. It should be able to put up a good fight.

If Brisbane are a bit off and we're on look out.

However, as this seems to be publicly considered our last chance to really be considered as finals contenders I expect we'll lose by about nine goals and put just that little bit of extra pressure and angst into the rest of the season.

The footy Gods haven't forgotten the favour they did us in 2016, but have seemingly forgotten the previous times in which we had been forsaken at their hands. This is the thing about religion, one good thing in the eyes of a believer can make up for many a shit thing.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 02:50 AM
I don't think this is malicious intent, rather, incompetence/ lack of systems or process etc. It's still not great and needs to be fixed.

Yes, it's certainly not malicious or even incompetence. It probably reflects more around an on going disconnect between the club engaging the supporters.
If we are looking at membership numbers then the club is doing very well, if the focus was more on supporter engagement then there appears to be a lot of missed opportunities.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 02:52 AM
I look at our side and still think it's pretty strong. It should be able to put up a good fight.

If Brisbane are a bit off and we're on look out.

However, as this seems to be publicly considered our last chance to really be considered as finals contenders I expect we'll lose by about nine goals and put just that little bit of extra pressure and angst into the rest of the season.

The footy Gods haven't forgotten the favour they did us in 2016, but have seemingly forgotten the previous times in which we had been forsaken at their hands. This is the thing about religion, one good thing in the eyes of a believer can make up for many a shit thing.

If we are switched on we can win this comfortably and I'm expecting a good and close game.
There are some doubts on if Brisbane can stand up when it counts and we should be able to pressure them.

Topdog
30-06-2022, 07:20 AM
If we are switched on we can win this comfortably and I'm expecting a good and close game.
There are some doubts on if Brisbane can stand up when it counts and we should be able to pressure them.

Unfortunately I think the issue will ultimately lie with our defence. Missing 3 of your defenders is hard to cover and Brisbane can score heavily. Will need to be really clean going into F50 and as you mentioned apply loads of pressure.

azabob
30-06-2022, 08:30 AM

As a Melbourne based member I also feel the most disconnected from the club I have been in all my years supporting the club. I’m not really too sure where to from here and I only live a suburb or two from the ground.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2022, 08:51 AM

Agree with all of that.
Bevo walked over before the boys all came out and walked over to the supporter group. An elderly supporter was speaking with him, and he must've picked up that thnigs were not on schedule as he then asked the group with a quizzical look on his face 'how long have you guys been waiting, have you been here a while?' When I said we were told gates open 2:30 and training will run from 3pm to 4pm, he grimaced, apologised and then said 'Please, blame me, I had the boys in meetings'.

Thankfully, after the light run, the players and Bevo were very good with their time and interaction with all the fans. The group were fantastic, and the entire group were really proactive in ensuring every kid, adult were given some time.

My 9yr old and 6 yr old were absolutely on cloud 9 afterwards, getting up close with their heroes. It's these things that rust on support from a young age.
Grateful Brisbane City Council weren't razor sharp on checking parking meters, as even though I allowed an extra 45 minutes on the meter, we were still 25 minutes late... no ticket!

So in the end whilst no immediate harm, you're right, these are simple things, and in isolation they're nothing, but collectively they do take away from the customer engagement experience. If we really want to push membership numbers, we simply have to get this side of the equation right.

On a different side, gee, you notice how much the soft cap restrictions bite when one you see how much of the little things the coaching staff do. Rohan Smith running drills and talking to the players one minute then walking around picking up plastic cones and packing up equipment. No different to how we run Auskick & jnr training at my son's footy club.

Bullies
30-06-2022, 09:01 AM
I'm literally exhausted by the club continually dishing up this sort of stuff."I didn't know" is such a crap excuse. Are you trying to tell me there was no itinerary for the trip OR that it hadn't been shared with the senior coach??Yep - we have been in Queensland a bit over the past couple of seasons with hubs and finals and what not, but going forward it will be a once every season thing AT BEST. You would think 'WE' (the club) would want to foster good relationships with what is an already disconnected supporter group. How hard is it??? Agreed. The club invited supporters to the open training session so they would have known. Bevo spinning it like one of his press conferences.

azabob
30-06-2022, 09:38 AM
Thankfully, after the light run, the players and Bevo were very good with their time and interaction with all the fans. The group were fantastic, and the entire group were really proactive in ensuring every kid, adult were given some time.

From what I can tell after games we win the players are extremely generous with the fans.

mjp
30-06-2022, 09:46 AM
On a different side, gee, you notice how much the soft cap restrictions bite when one you see how much of the little things the coaching staff do. Rohan Smith running drills and talking to the players one minute then walking around picking up plastic cones and packing up equipment. No different to how we run Auskick & jnr training at my son's footy club.

Well...if you're smart, you get the players to bring the cones in after each drill...you can even make a game out of it AND run a daily points total. Any Auskick/junior coach who picks up a single marker simply lacks imagination!

At AFL level, I don't think an assistant coach (or even senior coach) picking up cones is a bad thing or representative of the soft cap. Sure - a couple of extra hands on deck at every training session would be great in terms of ACTUAL COACHING, but whether Bevo or the 'development coach yet to be named' picks up the markers, I don't think it's a big deal. It is also a great opportunity to wander along with a player and have a one-on-one chat: "come and walk with me whilst I grab these markers" is an EASY way to get some time with a player away from the rest of the group.

I still think the limits of the soft cap should be seen as an opportunity for innovation rather than a threat. I have said this before but 'PICK' what area you want to be EXCELLENT in and emphasise that...you don't have unlimited resources and therefore you can't do everything. So DON'T. Anyway, I am out of step with many people on this...to me, there is a reason why smaller organisations with less cash and less resources are able to take on multi-nationals and win in multiple injuries - they HAVE to pick their lane (they don't have the bodies or the cash to fight in every arena) and become EXCELLENT at what they do. Where things go wrong? Too big, try to do too much, burdened by systems and process...

bornadog
30-06-2022, 09:52 AM
As a Melbourne based member I also feel the most disconnected from the club I have been in all my years supporting the club. I’m not really too sure where to from here and I only live a suburb or two from the ground.

Why is that?

What do you expect the club to do?

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 10:21 AM
In two weeks we have lost three short/mid sized defenders in Caleb, Richards and Doc. That’s hard to cover.

Yes Angelo I was thinking the same thing last night. Williams and Scott look like they might have to play back. From what seemed dozen of half backs available we are now short.

mjp
30-06-2022, 10:38 AM
Why is that?

Here's an idea.

They called me about the raffle last week or the week before. I buy tix every year and they are a couple of hundred bucks each. No stress. Anyway, my wallet was in my car, they weren't allowed to charge my credit card on file for membership (fine - whatever) so I said - no worries...call me back tomorrow and I'll pay over the phone then. Of course they tell me, no problems sir.

I'll wait. I suspect I'll wait forever. So now I feel disgruntled about not being able to give them money for a raffle I'm wasn't going to win anyway.

I know what you're saying BAD but there are pages of posts on this site about how and why we feel member engagement has declined in recent seasons.

bornadog
30-06-2022, 10:56 AM
Here's an idea.

They called me about the raffle last week or the week before. I buy tix every year and they are a couple of hundred bucks each. No stress. Anyway, my wallet was in my car, they weren't allowed to charge my credit card on file for membership (fine - whatever) so I said - no worries...call me back tomorrow and I'll pay over the phone then. Of course they tell me, no problems sir.

I'll wait. I suspect I'll wait forever. So now I feel disgruntled about not being able to give them money for a raffle I'm wasn't going to win anyway.

I know what you're saying BAD but there are pages of posts on this site about how and why we feel member engagement has declined in recent seasons.

I was just wondering why Azabob feels that way, and what does he expect. We all have different expectations, and it is good to compare.

On the raffle. I normally get a call every year, but haven't been contacted at all this year, so not sure what it going on there.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 11:02 AM
I was just wondering why Azabob feels that way, and what does he expect. We all have different expectations, and it is good to compare.

On the raffle. I normally get a call every year, but haven't been contacted at all this year, so not sure what it going on there.

I think they outsource the raffle from memory to another mob. Maybe they hired a cheaper more useless one!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2022, 11:10 AM
Agreed. The club invited supporters to the open training session so they would have known. Bevo spinning it like one of his press conferences.

There wasn't any Bevo spin. Apologies if my post made it seem that way. He did seem to be affected when he heard how long we were waiting, but immediately told us to blame him, and he apologised.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 11:55 AM
Why is that?

For one thing I'd like the club to send me my membership pack... I've rang them 4 times to enquire where it is and it still hasn't been received. I've given up on it now.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 12:10 PM
For one thing I'd like the club to send me my membership pack... I've rang them 4 times to enquire where it is and it still hasn't been received. I've given up on it now.

That's really really poor, again probably an outsourced function that's done on the cheap.

azabob
30-06-2022, 12:12 PM
That's really really poor, again probably an outsourced function that's done on the cheap.

I reckon AFL house have sub contracted all this stuff out on behalf of the clubs.

mjp
30-06-2022, 12:42 PM
...and he apologised.

Don't be sorry.
Be Better.

I'm being a bit harsh now I know but we just see the same stuff dished up with regards making members feel they are important. Closed training sessions etc etc.

Yep - I'm still bitter after getting in trouble for chatting to Josh Schache at an admittedly closed training session last year...but I went to NZ and America with him on AIS trips - he was just saying hello...and the closed session happened to be at a ground where I happen to work...

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Don't be sorry.
Be Better.

I'm being a bit harsh now I know but we just see the same stuff dished up with regards making members feel they are important. Closed training sessions etc etc.

Yep - I'm still bitter after getting in trouble for chatting to Josh Schache at an admittedly closed training session last year...but I went to NZ and America with him on AIS trips - he was just saying hello...and the closed session happened to be at a ground where I happen to work...

Tell us more MJP.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 01:06 PM
While it seems an overreaction I can see why a closed training session is treated seriously.
I'd question if we have needed so many sessions that lock away supporters but that's not an argument that can be won.

Surely a quick chat to the player to clarify would have been in order but it's one of those fine lines that could have been avoided with some basic communication.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Tell us more MJP.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Don't be sorry.
Be Better.

I agree be better, but in the event of a mistake, owning and apologising is still important. Then do better.

mjp
30-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Surely a quick chat to the player to clarify would have been in order but it's one of those fine lines that could have been avoided with some basic communication.

I didn't approach the players. I sat there happily watching training whilst maybe 8 security guards (I think COVID related) observed the ZERO spectators.

A couple of players who I have coached called out to me and jogged over for a chat. I stood where I was and didn't go near the ground (COVID)...Josh S hung around and we jabbered back and forth...

That's really the end of it apart from being yelled at to 'bugger off, you know it's a closed session' etc by a nameless official. Anyway, a casual observer could have easily identified we knew each other so I thought at the time a casual "C'mon Josh, time to go" with a wave would have done the same job as yelling at me...

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 01:48 PM
I didn't approach the players. I sat there happily watching training whilst maybe 8 security guards (I think COVID related) observed the ZERO spectators.

A couple of players who I have coached called out to me and jogged over for a chat. I stood where I was and didn't go near the ground (COVID)...Josh S hung around and we jabbered back and forth...

That's really the end of it apart from being yelled at to 'bugger off, you know it's a closed session' etc by a nameless official. Anyway, a casual observer could have easily identified we knew each other so I thought at the time a casual "C'mon Josh, time to go" with a wave would have done the same job as yelling at me...

Yep, a "lets go Josh" would have been sufficient.

We've been a bit too Colonel Flagg with our training sessions for a while now.

G-Mo77
30-06-2022, 04:02 PM

For some reason I got sent 3 kids memberships? I'm happy to mail out the Members football so you can give it to your kid/s. The rest of the stuff has my sons name on it so not much use for that.

Mantis
30-06-2022, 05:54 PM
For some reason I got sent 3 kids memberships? I'm happy to mail out the Members football so you can give it to your kid/s. The rest of the stuff has my sons name on it so not much use for that.

Thanks for the offer, but my 2 boys got their membership packs as there’s is attached to my parents account.

It was just me who missed out…. A simple follow up call after I’d rang numerous times to enquire wouldn’t be out of place I would’ve thought given the number of years I’ve been a member.

Hotdog60
30-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Ahh so it's mjp that has had Josh in the bad books no wonder he gets dropped at the tip of a hat. :D

GVGjr
04-07-2022, 01:23 PM
I saw that, we play interstate again next week on Friday so I would imagine it's Tuesday.
It will also likely be part of a bigger event not Player Sponsor specific as the invitation sort of reads. It's coming across as an after thought for the sponsors to gauge their interest.
How do they miss putting a date on an invitation?... I'm really not expecting an answer :)

Picked it. An open training invitation for everyone which is good but poorly planned.
Got a response to an email saying that they're waiting on number confirmations.