PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 18 V St. Kilda At Marvel On Friday Night

Scraggers
17-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 17 match against Sydney for our Round 18 match against St. Kilda at Marvel on Friday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-07-2022, 11:15 PM
Bump

bornadog
08-07-2022, 11:51 PM
In: Bazz Smith, Toby Mclean, Cleary

Out: Bedendo, Williams, Scott

angelopetraglia
08-07-2022, 11:56 PM
Can't even process this at the moment. It will take a couple of days. But I will be at Marvel on Friday night.

GVGjr
09-07-2022, 12:00 AM
In: Bazz Smith, Toby Mclean, Cleary

Out: Bedendo, Williams, Scott

I like these ins but do you think McLean can back up after 5 days given what he has missed or do we give him 2 or 3 quarters on Sunday?

SquirrelGrip
09-07-2022, 12:05 AM
Out Scott (inj) Hunter Bedendo McComb
In B.Smith McLean O’Brien

Bont surely must be season over soon.

bornadog
09-07-2022, 12:05 AM
I like these ins but do you think McLean can back up after 5 days given what he has missed or do we give him 2 or 3 quarters on Sunday?

I forgot they are playing Sunday.

Scraggers
09-07-2022, 12:17 AM
If McComb gets another game I’ll spew up.

There were way too many passengers tonight, a message needs to be sent. There needs to be wholesale changes.

Out:- McComb, Scott (concussion), Bendendo, Hunter
In:- Smith, Buku, Cleary, Vandermeer (if he gets through the Footscray game okay)

bornadog
09-07-2022, 12:20 AM

There were way too many passengers tonight, a message needs to be sent. There needs to be wholesale changes.

In:- Smith, Buku, Cleary, Vandermeer (if he gets through the Footscray game okay)

You need another out as McComb was a medical sub.:)

Scraggers
09-07-2022, 12:31 AM
You need another out as McComb was a medical sub.:)

Can I drop McComb twice?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2022, 12:33 AM
Can I drop McComb twice?

We need a laugh and this was perfect, Scraggers!

The Doctor
09-07-2022, 08:43 AM
I'm looking at next year now

I would leave Bedendo, Jamarra, West in for the rest of the year.

We should look at giving Darcy a run before the season is over. He is the real deal.

We should have a look at a Sweet/English ruck combo. At least give it a try for a few games.

I'd be playing Cleary ahead of others like O'Brien, Cordy, Crozier. He should have played last night

westbulldog
09-07-2022, 09:39 AM
Out Scott (inj) Hunter Keath Hannan McComb
In B Smith Cleary O'Brien Sweet

azabob
09-07-2022, 09:46 AM

I’d give him 2 quarters and play him this week.

whythelongface
09-07-2022, 09:48 AM
I'm looking at next year now

I would leave Bedendo, Jamarra, West in for the rest of the year.

We should look at giving Darcy a run before the season is over. He is the real deal.

We should have a look at a Sweet/English ruck combo. At least give it a try for a few games.

I'd be playing Cleary ahead of others like O'Brien, Cordy, Crozier. He should have played last night

Agree definitely need to give game time to those mentioned. Should also include Khamis and bring back VDM and McNeill. The more experience these guys receive the better of we will be in the long run. I would also keep Schache in till the end of the year. Give him an extended run to see if there is anything consistent and worth keeping. On the stat sheet he took our most marks last night thus at least he is getting into position.

Whilst we are all doom and gloom about our recent performances (and so we should be) we can start building a team around Marra, Naughton, Darcy and English which includes Bont, Daniel, Dale etc. Fix the deficiencies in defence and we are thereabouts in the next 12 to 24 months. Look at the age bracket of that spine. That is a once in a lifetime spine.

azabob
09-07-2022, 09:49 AM

A message should have been sent in the first part of the season. Too late now.

Not sure only dropping Hunter is actually sending a message.

bornadog
09-07-2022, 10:51 AM
A message should have been sent in the first part of the season. Too late now.

Not sure only dropping Hunter is actually sending a message.
trouble is very little to come in. With 12 on injury list in first half there was no one left

Bulldog4life
09-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Agree definitely need to give game time to those mentioned. Should also include Khamis and bring back VDM and McNeill. The more experience these guys receive the better of we will be in the long run. I would also keep Schache in till the end of the year. Give him an extended run to see if there is anything consistent and worth keeping. On the stat sheet he took our most marks last night thus at least he is getting into position.

Whilst we are all doom and gloom about our recent performances (and so we should be) we can start building a team around Marra, Naughton, Darcy and English which includes Bont, Daniel, Dale etc. Fix the deficiencies in defence and we are thereabouts in the next 12 to 24 months. Look at the age bracket of that spine. That is a once in a lifetime spine.

Certainly wasn't our worst and tried hard all night which I liked.

Mofra
09-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Cleary has to come in. Get games into him, there's a bit to work with there.
I don't really care beyond that.

Happy Days
09-07-2022, 03:13 PM
In: McLean, Cleary, Darcy

Out: Hannan, Hunter, Scott

If we are gonna have a player stand 35m out from the other team's goal and not man up anyone I'd rather it be Darcy, who's looked pretty good at it in the VFL and might actually mark something.

I'd also rather we give away the chance to be the sub to one lucky fan in some sort of promotional contest than have it be McComb again.

Grantysghost
09-07-2022, 03:22 PM

If we are gonna have a player stand 35m out from the other team's goal and not man up anyone I'd rather it be Darcy, who's looked pretty good at it in the VFL and might actually mark something.

I'd also rather we give away the chance to be the sub to one lucky fan in some sort of promotional contest than have it be McComb again.

Have a kick off. Whoever can hit the target is sub.

G-Mo77
09-07-2022, 03:24 PM
Cleary has to come in. Get games into him, there's a bit to work with there.
I don't really care beyond that.

This one right here. I was a bit sceptical because he's still a real thin kid but he's got some real potential and will be a long time player for us IMO.

Bullies
09-07-2022, 04:19 PM
Can I drop McComb twice? Can we just play one short

bornadog
09-07-2022, 04:32 PM
Can we just play one short

We do

MrMahatma
09-07-2022, 06:38 PM
I’m not sure changing any of the players is gonna make much of a difference. We flat out sucked last night, more or less across the board. I’d drop McComb cause I don’t think he should be on a list, but he’s not the reason we lost and won’t be the reason we win or lose next week.

Jeanette54
09-07-2022, 07:42 PM

No GG, whoever can hit the target is our new forward line kicking coach.

bornadog
09-07-2022, 08:53 PM
I’m not sure changing any of the players is gonna make much of a difference. We flat out sucked last night, more or less across the board. I’d drop McComb cause I don’t think he should be on a list, but he’s not the reason we lost and won’t be the reason we win or lose next week.

At minimum Scott out and Baz in

jeemak
10-07-2022, 02:11 AM

The guy who at half time against the Hawks stood in the goal square to take marks for Mission Foods dollars would be my choice.

jeemak
10-07-2022, 02:16 AM
We need to try and keep wining games. Hunter stays in, he was always going to be rusty for his first couple back after his layoff. Of any of the poor performers he is the most likely to actually come good.

Hannan stays, but plays forward in his usual forward-defencive role. Again, after a long layoff he was always going to take a bit of time to get back into it, it was idiocy of the MC to try and generate something different in his game because let's face it, he's not the smartest player but can contribute if given continuity in a role he's familiar with.

I don't know anything more than that right now. Just my initial thoughts, with obviously Baz coming in.

Out - McComb, Scott
In - Baz, TBC

MrMahatma
10-07-2022, 08:16 AM
The guy who at half time against the Hawks stood in the goal square to take marks for Mission Foods dollars would be my choice.

Big lad who dropped $1500 of chest marks!?

azabob
10-07-2022, 10:01 AM
Jee, McComb was the sub; he can’t be an out, only an IN.

Do we need an extra tall defender to play on Marshall, King and Membrey?

Happy Days
10-07-2022, 11:24 AM
Totally forgot Baz is back. Bring him in over McLean I guess but I’m also sure there’s someone else to drop if McLean turns it on today.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2022, 11:33 AM
After todays match hopefully we will have a better idea who to bring in.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 04:18 PM
After todays match hopefully we will have a better idea who to bring in.

In: Cordy, Mclean, Bruce, Baz Smith

Out: Scott, Williams, Bedendo, Garcia

azabob
10-07-2022, 04:27 PM

Very tall team you’ve picked; I think maybe one or two talls too many.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 04:29 PM
Very tall team you’ve picked; I think maybe one or two talls too many.

Saints under sized in defence, and so are we

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2022, 04:40 PM

Baz a given if ready, the rest deserve it on today's game.
The team deserves some surgery after Swans. The injured are returning and Darcy is versatile, professional and a very good mark and kick.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Baz a given if ready, the rest deserve it on today's game.
The team deserves some surgery after Swans. The injured are returning and Darcy is versatile, professional and a very good mark and kick.

Still early for Darcy. A few more games and he may get a go, although VFL have the bye next week.

Grantysghost
10-07-2022, 05:20 PM
In : McLean, Smith, Bruce
Out: Scott, Hunter, Ugle-Hagan

azabob
10-07-2022, 05:22 PM
In : McLean, Smith, Bruce
Out: Scott, Hunter, Ugle-Hagen

GG you think we are still in finals mode?

Grantysghost
10-07-2022, 05:24 PM

Didn't like Garcia? I reckon he's got something that kid I'd love to stick with him for the season in the ones.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 05:24 PM

until it is mathematically impossible, then why not? Why give up?

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2022, 05:26 PM
Still early for Darcy. A few more games and he may get a go, although VFL have the bye next week.
Too early for his best but Tim Watson debuted as15 yo...
I have little doubt Sam woul cause prob's JUH and Scache are not quite yet. Sam would not be outmarked.

Grantysghost
10-07-2022, 05:26 PM

I personally don't think we've got much chance, however I'd still be picking my best side. Get some momentum going into next season.
Essendon are no chance but they'll be feeling a hell of a lot better right now than we are.

azabob
10-07-2022, 05:27 PM
until it is mathematically impossible, then why not? Why give up?

Fair call, I’d prefer Ugle-Hagen to play and Bruce to ruck.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 05:28 PM
Didn't like Garcia? I reckon he's got something that kid I'd love to stick with him for the season in the ones.

I did like him but he did fade out. I was just trying to pick the best team in a desperate bid for a win.

azabob
I personally don't think we've got much chance, however I'd still be picking my best side. Get some momentum going into next season.
Essendon are no chance but they'll be feeling a hell of a lot better right now than we are.

Fair enough. I think JUH is getting better each week and deserves to keep his spot.

bornadog

I didn't drop him GG did :D

Grantysghost

I tossed up between Schache and Ugle-Hagan. I think we need to see out the season with Josh and see if he can be a consistent AFL player.

We drop him now it's probably curtains with us.

Marra has time.

bornadog
10-07-2022, 05:29 PM
I tossed up between Schache and Ugle-Hagan. I think we need to see out the season with Josh and see if he can be a consistent AFL player.

Schache can also go back if needed.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2022, 05:52 PM

Bob I don't think Bruce would have the stamina to ruck at the moment.

Bulldog4life
10-07-2022, 05:54 PM

We drop him now it's probably curtains with us.

Marra has time.

Schache had the most marks for us. 7. Definitely wasn't our worse.

azabob
10-07-2022, 07:02 PM
INs for mine; Sweet, McLean, B.Smith and maybe Cleary.

Under consideration to be dropped Schache, Williams, Hannan, JJ, Bedendo and obviously Scott (injured).

bornadog
10-07-2022, 10:56 PM
INs for mine; Sweet, McLean, B.Smith and maybe Cleary.

Under consideration to be dropped Schache, Williams, Hannan, JJ, Bedendo and obviously Scott (injured).

Are you happy with Sweets performance today around the ground, ie 5 disposals, no marks?

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-07-2022, 12:47 AM
Bob I don't think Bruce would have the stamina to ruck at the moment.

The 64 dollar question is will Bevo ever have a change of heart and play two genuine ruck men in Sweet and English

azabob
11-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Are you happy with Sweets performance today around the ground, ie 5 disposals, no marks?

Not really. I think in the seniors Sweet would get a bit more footy.

I think we are a better football team when we have two ruckman playing.

I still hold the view our best football over the past two years is when Martin was rucking and English was playing as the 3rd tall.

DOG GOD
11-07-2022, 11:11 AM
The best we have looked the last few years is ..

3 KPF
2 rucks
3 KPD

And when Martin got injured early last year it all went to shit, when all the arrogant MC had to do was a like for like.

G-Mo77
11-07-2022, 12:39 PM

I still hold the view our best football over the past two years is when Martin was rucking and English was playing as the 3rd tall.

Agree. Sweet ruck, English Fwd/Ruck. Ain't going to happen though.

The results went our way so we just have to go for it. Just play Bruce, McLean, Baz even Cordy.

There are plenty that can be dropped and we should just go balls out for a win. Lose and we're pretty much done so the bullshit experiments can wait, blood players if that happens as well.

Danjul
11-07-2022, 01:10 PM
To be fair, he was playing against the best ruckman we have thrown away.

bornadog
11-07-2022, 02:21 PM
To be fair, he was playing against the best ruckman we have thrown away.

and one who also struggles at AFL level

azabob
11-07-2022, 02:30 PM
and one who also struggles at AFL level

Lets forget about disposals for a moment and focus on what the job of a ruckman is.

As a ruckman who contests the ruck, when it comes to man on man combat English is bog average.

I'm still dumbfounded how he barely broke even with Sam Reid and Joel Amarty?

English should've dominated the hit outs and taken 10+ marks

bornadog
11-07-2022, 02:38 PM
Lets forget about disposals for a moment and focus on what the job of a ruckman is.

As a ruckman who contests the ruck, when it comes to man on man combat English is bog average.

I'm still dumbfounded how he barely broke even with Sam Reid and Joel Amarty?

English should've dominated the hit outs and taken 10+ marks

One game coming back from concussion.

Overall for the season he is averaging 21 disposals, 6 marks and 24 hitouts. Yes hitouts aren't huge, but the modern ruckman is not just hitouts.

The bulldog tragician
11-07-2022, 03:06 PM
Anyone know why Keath was on the bench for a while? He didn’t seem to be being assessed for an injury but it was longer than just a rotation??

Danjul
11-07-2022, 03:10 PM
One game coming back from concussion.

Overall for the season he is averaging 21 disposals, 6 marks and 24 hitouts. Yes hitouts aren't huge, but the modern ruckman is not just hitouts.

You knew that, I knew that, everyone knew that. Except the selection panel who simply assumed he would immediately play career best footy.

I was happy with English’s non ruck game, but not anticipating a ruck problem was another selection blunder.

Grantysghost
11-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Anyone know why Keath was on the bench for a while? He didn’t seem to be being assessed for an injury but it was longer than just a rotation??

I noticed that too BT. Was nearly 10 minutes from memory in the 3rd?

I get the feeling they were so exasperated with the back-line function they were trying anything and everything.

Might have served as a little kick up the pants too.

bornadog
11-07-2022, 04:08 PM
I noticed that too BT. Was nearly 10 minutes from memory in the 3rd?

I get the feeling they were so exasperated with the back-line function they were trying anything and everything.

Might have served as a little kick up the pants too.

He had his boot off, so may have an injury, although did get back on the ground.

Scraggers
12-07-2022, 01:37 AM

It's an interesting point you make, and whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I attended the Eagles v Carlton game and watched with interest the role Silvani played in the win. With Silvani as a forward and pinch hitting ruck, Carlton have dominated the clearances and look to sew up a double chance. It is not just us going into games with one dedicated ruckman (not saying that you suggested that), but it seems to be the way of the world right now.

azabob
12-07-2022, 08:54 AM
It's an interesting point you make, and whilst I don't necessarily disagree, I attended the Eagles v Carlton game and watched with interest the role Silvani played in the win. With Silvani as a forward and pinch hitting ruck, Carlton have dominated the clearances and look to sew up a double chance. It is not just us going into games with one dedicated ruckman (not saying that you suggested that), but it seems to be the way of the world right now.

I think the key does your second ruckman provide a consistent contest. This is the difference with Silvangi compared to say Schache.

The other question is from a team viewpoint is English more suited to the ruck role or 2nd ruck/ forward role?

comrade
12-07-2022, 09:46 AM
I think the key does your second ruckman provide a consistent contest. This is the difference with Silvangi compared to say Schache.

The other question is from a team viewpoint is English more suited to the ruck role or 2nd ruck/ forward role?

If we had a decent, physical number 1 ruck (not a world beater, Tom Hickey level for example) with Tim doing 30% rucking/70% high forward and roaming around, we’d be much, much better off in the forward half than Timmy as #1 and the rotating support cast of misfits we are currently trying to shoe horn in.

Obviously doesn’t help our defensive woes too much but it would probably have a flow on effect where they’re not exposed as much.

Now that English has signed a multi year deal, we should just go and recruit a proper ruck and tell Timmy to play forward and suck it up for the better of the team. If we start winning, he won’t leave.

DOG GOD
12-07-2022, 11:24 AM
Any chance that if we get Lobb, Timmy will take centre bounce and move to defensive 50 arc, with Lobb playing more a CHF role ?

hujsh
12-07-2022, 11:42 AM
If we had a decent, physical number 1 ruck (not a world beater, Tom Hickey level for example) with Tim doing 30% rucking/70% high forward and roaming around, we’d be much, much better off in the forward half than Timmy as #1 and the rotating support cast of misfits we are currently trying to shoe horn in.

Obviously doesn’t help our defensive woes too much but it would probably have a flow on effect where they’re not exposed as much.

Now that English has signed a multi year deal, we should just go and recruit a proper ruck and tell Timmy to play forward and suck it up for the better of the team. If we start winning, he won’t leave.

Wasn't it just 2? Getting him to Free agent status.

Boy I wish some thread existed where I could check a detail like that. Maybe it's up on Footywire?

Grantysghost
12-07-2022, 11:49 AM

Boy I wish some thread existed where I could check a detail like that. Maybe it's up on Footywire?

afltables.

Vred
12-07-2022, 12:08 PM
Keath not listed on our injury list, but Naughton is set to test.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1170663/?fbclid=IwAR0xSJYFN_mnwf2fok1WJkT_duFhAkeIsgmtHA8-ZFQUIvFx_scU5ZEb9Do

I'd be bringing in Cleary, Bruce and McLean at this point, nothing to lose

comrade
12-07-2022, 12:13 PM

2 is multi year isn’t it? ;)

azabob
12-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Keath not listed on our injury list, but Naughton is set to test.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1170663/?fbclid=IwAR0xSJYFN_mnwf2fok1WJkT_duFhAkeIsgmtHA8-ZFQUIvFx_scU5ZEb9Do

I'd be bringing in Cleary, Bruce and McLean at this point, nothing to lose

Who are you dropping?

Vred
12-07-2022, 12:17 PM
Who are you dropping?

Hannan, McComb/Scott, Schache

azabob
12-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Hannan, McComb/Scott, Schache

About right I reckon.

Maybe JJ and push Hannan forward.

Vred
12-07-2022, 12:21 PM
About right I reckon.

Maybe JJ and push Hannan forward.

Would prefer JJ forward over Hannan to be honest, JJ also is a norm smith winning backman? Zero idea why he wasn't swung back and Hannan played forward last game. Did we seriously rate a one-VFL game forward Hannan playing on a small back vs JJ who has a history of doing it? It makes no sense to me.

The Doctor
12-07-2022, 12:32 PM
B: Cleary, Gardner, Richards

HB: Williams, Keath, Dale

C: Hunter, Libba, Bedendo

HF: JJ, Jamarra, West

F: Weightman: Naughton, Schache

R: English, Bont, Macrae

INT: Smith, Treloar, Dunkley, Hannan

EMG: Darcy, Garcia, McLean, Khamis

azabob
12-07-2022, 12:35 PM

You love not putting your INs and OUTs!

Garcia and Scott OUT?
Smith and Cleary IN?

any other changes?

hujsh
12-07-2022, 01:13 PM
2 is multi year isn’t it? ;)

You are indeed technically correct... the best kind of correct.

GVGjr
12-07-2022, 01:35 PM
I think Darcy will be getting the call up this week. If not this week then very soon.

DOG GOD
12-07-2022, 01:37 PM
I think Darcy will be getting the call up this week. If not this week then very soon.

Would you feed him to the wolves knowing Melb and Geel are coming up ?

GVGjr
12-07-2022, 01:39 PM
Would you feed him to the wolves knowing Melb and Geel are coming up ?

Don't think it matters but this week does make more sense.
My only concern is based more around if he is physically ready

The Doctor
12-07-2022, 01:42 PM
Don't think it matters but this week does make more sense.
My only concern is based more around if he is physically ready

I would have picked him in my team for this week had it not been for the fact he was coming off a 5 day break.

GVGjr
12-07-2022, 02:06 PM
I would have picked him in my team for this week had it not been for the fact he was coming off a 5 day break.

The 5 day break is certainly a consideration.

SquirrelGrip
12-07-2022, 02:25 PM
B: Darcy, Gardner, Richards

HB: Treloar, Keath, Dale

C: Williams, Libba, B. Smith

HF: JJ, Naughton, West

F: Weightman, Bruce, Jamarra

INT: Garcia, Dunkley, Cleary, McLean

IN: B.Smith, Darcy, Bruce, McLean, Cleary
OUT: Scott (conc), Hannan, Schache, Hunter, Bedendo

Scraggers
12-07-2022, 02:39 PM

I don't mind this ... I would have Buku as the sub.

soupman
12-07-2022, 03:42 PM
I'd be looking at working Darcy into the side. I'd start him in the intercept defender type role and try and give him 5 games this year to get a feel for the level. My long term plan for him would be to keep him in that defensive role until Lobb/Bruce retire, then he takes their spot forward and as a relief ruck. Gives him an easier path into the league, gets him to 40ish games by then, and means we aren't making our talent (him and JUH) fight eachother for much needed match experience. Also we are desperate for anything resembling a quality tall in defence so if he can not be terrible then it's hardly costing us anything.

Clearly he is still a rake but I think he has assets we don't have available to us to deploy down back, and much like how Daniel isn't "exposed" for his height I don't think we will be caught out too often with him not being strong enough. SDK has a similiar build ( stronger after 3 years in the system but not a beast by any stretch) and is doing just fine, I'd be happy to ride it out with Darcy.

GVGjr
12-07-2022, 05:47 PM
I'd be looking at working Darcy into the side. I'd start him in the intercept defender type role and try and give him 5 games this year to get a feel for the level. My long term plan for him would be to keep him in that defensive role until Lobb/Bruce retire, then he takes their spot forward and as a relief ruck. Gives him an easier path into the league, gets him to 40ish games by then, and means we aren't making our talent (him and JUH) fight eachother for much needed match experience. Also we are desperate for anything resembling a quality tall in defence so if he can not be terrible then it's hardly costing us anything.

Clearly he is still a rake but I think he has assets we don't have available to us to deploy down back, and much like how Daniel isn't "exposed" for his height I don't think we will be caught out too often with him not being strong enough. SDK has a similiar build ( stronger after 3 years in the system but not a beast by any stretch) and is doing just fine, I'd be happy to ride it out with Darcy.

This is the only thing that concerns me and why I just have some hesitancy in playing him too early.
He's missed so much footy in the last two years and I wonder if he is really ready. Talent wise I've got no doubts about him.

soupman
12-07-2022, 05:51 PM
This is the only thing that concerns me and why I just have some hesitancy in playing him too early.
He's missed so much footy in the last two years and I wonder if he is really ready. Talent wise I've got no doubts about him.

I think we can manage him through it.

Key back is probably the least physically demanding of the three obvious options (key back, key forward, ruck). I mean I am a long way from a sports scientist but surely if we aimed for him to play 2 out of every three games that would reduce the volume of work going through his body, and we have often had one or two players play less than 70% gametime so I don't see why he couldn't be that guy.

Axe Man
12-07-2022, 06:16 PM

Apparently De Koning basically spent his first 2 years on the cats list eating as much as he possibly could to gain weight. It worked and he is 15kgs heavier now than when he was drafted. He only played 1 game prior to this season so 2022 De Koning certainly isn't comparable to 2022 Darcy.

I don't mind the idea of giving some games to Darcy but I don't expect to see him lining up regularly until 2024.

kruder
12-07-2022, 10:33 PM
I have this bad feeling that Vandermeer will be back this week, the match committee love him. I just don't think he is a forward I would be trying to turn him in to a back pocket.

I'm expecting Bruce to play.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2022, 10:49 PM
Easy one is Scott out for Baz.

Tobias and Juice are in our best 22 whether it's this week or whenever they are deemed ready. 5 day break but not sure how their minutes were managed and whether the toll of VFL is different. Really hard to know but if they are ready, they are in. I would not take a risk with them both coming back from ACLs. Maybe Tobias as a sub with the VFL bye.

Sam Darcy you'd think only comes in as R2/fwd. Surely we'd play him in defence last week if that was the possibility for this week. Maybe a hard one physically for him with the Saints having two legit rucks. I thought Schache was okay last week and I think whatever we do, it should be for Darcy's long term development. I'd give him another week at least in the VFL but can understand if we play him and will be a lot more excited about the game if he was selected.

Marra has been alright but might need to go if Juice and/or Darcy play. Bendendo I like the look of but probably the next guy out if we are still focusing on winning. Truck next I guess.

DOG GOD
13-07-2022, 01:49 PM
I personally wouldn’t be putting Darcy in the eyesight of Melb and Geel. If he plays, I’d be leaving it to the last 2-3 games.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 02:09 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like there has been a death in the family?
No blame from me, but we have a game to win.
Either Bruce or Darcy to come in to replace JUH or Schache.
Bails Smith to replace Scott.

Axe Man
13-07-2022, 02:36 PM
Bevo has confirmed Smith will return (well, duh) but also:

As well as Smith, the Bulldogs could be boosted by the return of Josh Bruce for his first senior match of the season.

The key forward took another step in his recovery from a long-term knee injury by kicking 4.5 in the VFL last week.

"It's not great timing – five-day break after a state league game – but he seems like he's come through that game," Beveridge said.

"He's healthy and he should be available for selection.

"There's every chance his name will be added to the teamsheet."

Beveridge expects fellow goalkicker Aaron Naughton to overcome a sore knee, while Anthony Scott (concussion) will miss at least one match.

bornadog
13-07-2022, 02:37 PM
Is it just me or does it feel like there has been a death in the family?
No blame from me, but we have a game to win.
Either Bruce or Darcy to come in to replace JUH or Schache.
Bails Smith to replace Scott.

the only thing I am worried about with Bruce is he is coming back from a knee reco and hamstring and had played two games over the three weeks in a VFL, plus a 5 day turnaround

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 03:12 PM
the only thing I am worried about with Bruce is he is coming back from a knee reco and hamstring and had played two games over the three weeks in a VFL, plus a 5 day turnaround
Personally I would prefer Darcy now, for the team's sake.
Young man Uncle Sam needs you.
Season on the line. Darcy will take marks, is smart, composed and a very good kick albiet a young beanpole.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Jon Pierik in The Age claiming Bruce will return:
"Bailey Smith will return for the Bulldogs this week after serving four matches in suspension. Josh Bruce will also return, from injury".

DOG GOD
13-07-2022, 04:20 PM
Why do people think Darcy will all of a sudden come in, be taking marks in defence and making something. AFL is a massive step up from VFL. Imagine him in defence against the Geel fwds…no thanks.

bornadog
13-07-2022, 04:37 PM
Why do people think Darcy will all of a sudden come in, be taking marks in defence and making something. AFL is a massive step up from VFL. Imagine him in defence against the Geel fwds…no thanks.
He won’t play yet. Early days for him

Bullies
13-07-2022, 05:01 PM
the only thing I am worried about with Bruce is he is coming back from a knee reco and hamstring and had played two games over the three weeks in a VFL, plus a 5 day turnaround Agree. Another week or two for me as he still looks like he is lumbering and he looks slow enough when he is match fit. He also had no opposition last week as the Saints had no key defenders left. I would like Darcy but it appears Bruce will be in. Maybe with Howard and Clark out they fell they can stretch the Saints defence.

bornadog
13-07-2022, 05:21 PM
Agree. Another week or two for me as he still looks like he is lumbering and he looks slow enough when he is match fit. He also had no opposition last week as the Saints had no key defenders left. I would like Darcy but it appears Bruce will be in. Maybe with Howard and Clark out they fell they can stretch the Saints defence.
With VFL having a bye this week maybe that has swayed the decision

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 06:50 PM
I personally wouldn’t be putting Darcy in the eyesight of Melb and Geel. If he plays, I’d be leaving it to the last 2-3 games.
Typically conservative from you, fair enough.

DOG GOD
13-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Typically conservative from you, fair enough.

Not sure why. How many games has he played in the VFL?
We may as well coz our season will be done and dusted by the time we reach Geel, but I sure as hell wouldn’t wanna see him up against the likes of Cameron and Hawkins…if you would, then that’s good for you.

Not sure I’d wanna see him torn apart when there will be nothing to gain from it.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 07:46 PM
We may as well coz our season will be done and dusted by the time we reach Geel, but I sure as hell wouldn’t wanna see him up against the likes of Cameron and Hawkins…if you would, then that’s good for you.

Not sure I’d wanna see him torn apart when there will be nothing to gain from it.
I see conservatives as primarily motivated by fear like you just exhibited again. Me opposite but respect you and our common love.
I am coming out as a depressed optimist.

soupman
13-07-2022, 09:09 PM

No one is suggesting he plays a lockdown role on either of them.

I just think he's worth getting some games into in a role that will hopefully give him a chance to get a feel for the level.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2022, 09:46 PM

I just think he's worth getting some games into in a role that will hopefully give him a chance to get a feel for the level.
After seeing Sam play v Zebras, I know what I saw, brains, unbeatable marking, vulnerable inherited knees, kicking like legendary David Darcy and tall, very tall and mobile with brains.
He may not play sax have a Phd or speak German but his brains are for football.
Yes to him playing v Saints.

Bullies
14-07-2022, 09:02 AM

I just think he's worth getting some games into in a role that will hopefully give him a chance to get a feel for the level. Agree with this as I would say if they did play Darcy he would be the intercept defender meaning he actually wouldn't play on anyone seeing Geelong/Melbourne play a few behind the ball. He would basically fill the hole down the back so have no issue with him getting that kind of experience. Good way to pick up the pace of the game and good experience for next year.

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 09:19 AM
Agree with this as I would say if they did play Darcy he would be the intercept defender meaning he actually wouldn't play on anyone seeing Geelong/Melbourne play a few behind the ball. He would basically fill the hole down the back so have no issue with him getting that kind of experience. Good way to pick up the pace of the game and good experience for next year.

I think he'd be second ruck forward and Schache would go back if he played.

azabob
14-07-2022, 09:27 AM
I will be very disappointed if Ugle-Hagan is dropped for Josh Bruce.

JUH is a confidence player and he is making small improvements each and every week.

Actually I will be disappointed if Ugle-Hagan is dropped full stop.

Bulldog Joe
14-07-2022, 09:41 AM
I think he'd be second ruck forward and Schache would go back if he played.

I believe this is the only role we could give Darcy a go at.

Schache to the backline makes some sense. He was ok there last year and it certainly has more merit against the St Kilda talls than any use of Hannan.

Not sure how we bring in both Bruce and Darcy. Certainly want JUH retained and don't believe there is justification to drop Schache.

soupman
14-07-2022, 11:09 AM
I reckon the ruck forward role is tough and way too physically demanding to expect Darcy to have any kind of impact in.

Plus if we wanted to swing Schache back we would have already done so. IIRC he spent the whole pre season training there (really not sure on that) and has not played a single minute in defence this season.

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 11:28 AM
I reckon the ruck forward role is tough and way too physically demanding to expect Darcy to have any kind of impact in.

Plus if we wanted to swing Schache back we would have already done so. IIRC he spent the whole pre season training there (really not sure on that) and has not played a single minute in defence this season.

As far as I know, he did spend the pre-season training with the defensive unit and lined up on a wing in round one. I think he has spent a little time there this year but he's most be used in that forward role.

Bulldog Joe
14-07-2022, 11:32 AM
As far as I know, he did spend the pre-season training with the defensive unit and lined up on a wing in round one. I think he has spent a little time there this year but he's most be used in that forward role.
Schache played back in the first half against Adelaide.

Swung forward after half time to kick 2 goals and was rewarded by getting dropped to Footscray.

Bulldog Joe
14-07-2022, 11:35 AM

If we look at what Darcy has done at Footscray, he has performed best as ruck/forward.

When he played back he was not winning 1x1 contests and was too slow against leading forwards.

If he is picked it should be where he is performing best.

Mantis
14-07-2022, 11:55 AM
I will be very disappointed if Ugle-Hagan is dropped for Josh Bruce.

JUH is a confidence player and he is making small improvements each and every week.

Actually I will be disappointed if Ugle-Hagan is dropped full stop.

Agree with this.. he needs to continue to play.

Danjul
14-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Schache played back in the first half against Adelaide.

Swung forward after half time to kick 2 goals and was rewarded by getting dropped to Footscray.
But, to be fair, only for 6 games. Last year it was 10. So the selection committee is obviously warming to him.

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 12:07 PM
I’d be surprised if Marra was dropped for Bruce. Bevo spoke pretty consistently about wanting to have Bruce to play alongside him last season so it’s obviously the mix that he thinks will let us get the most out of Marra.

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 12:25 PM
I’d be surprised if Marra was dropped for Bruce. Bevo spoke pretty consistently about wanting to have Bruce to play alongside him last season so it’s obviously the mix that he thinks will let us get the most out of Marra.

Marra has been a bit underwhelming this year but we might as well try and get more games into him.
If Bruce coming back questions Marra's place in anyway you have to wonder what might happen if we have Naughton, Bruce and Lobb next year?

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 04:57 PM
I think there is a chance Schache might be the sub this week just in case Bruce can't run out of the full game.

Mantis
14-07-2022, 05:01 PM
I think there is a chance Schache might be the sub this week just in case Bruce can't run out of the full game.

You can't pick a sub based mainly on just one scenario... if there's doubts on Bruce he shouldn't be playing.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2022, 05:05 PM
You can't pick a sub based mainly on just one scenario... if there's doubts on Bruce he shouldn't be playing.

Yep. And if Juice is struggling and Schache has to replace a runner, we make our problems worse.

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 05:11 PM

You shouldn't pick a sub that way but it's just some speculation from my part. I'd keep Schache in the side/ We will know in a couple of hours.

azabob
14-07-2022, 07:26 PM
ROUND 18 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
Friday 15 July, 7.50pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis
HB: Mitch Hannan, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae
HF: Rhylee West, Josh Bruce, Bailey Smith
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Jason Johannisen, Riley Garcia, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Lachlan McNeil
Emer: Tim O’Brien, Roarke Smith, Luke Cleary, Jordon Sweet.

In: Bailey Smith, Josh Bruce, Buku Khamis, Lachlan McNeil
Out: Lachie Hunter (H&S protocols), Josh Schache (H&S protocols), Anthony Scott (concussion), Dom Bedendo (omitted), Robbie McComb (medi-sub)

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 07:27 PM
So only one player omitted from that disaster?

azabob
14-07-2022, 07:29 PM
So only one player omitted from that disaster?

Yep and 2 gamer at that.

hujsh
14-07-2022, 07:30 PM
Buku to defense after one game. Vaguely following the Hannan model but at least he's played there exclusively (to my knowledge) before this year

josie
14-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Good to see MC rewarding good vfl form. Pity Schache & Hunter are out due to h&s protocols. No McComb. Great to see them leave Marra in. To see Marra, Bruce & Naughts together for first time this year will be good.

josie
14-07-2022, 07:32 PM
Buku to defense after one game. Vaguely following the Hannan model but at least he's played there exclusively (to my knowledge) before this year

And can ruck a bit, might be important with Schache out of side.

MrMahatma
14-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Looking forward to seeing The 3 headed monster! Bruce, Marra, Naughton

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 07:44 PM
I reckon Hunter got covid on purpose. Galaxy brained stuff.

No McComb anywhere at least.

Scraggers
14-07-2022, 07:52 PM
Pretty happy McComb got dropped twice. Not happy McNeill is back in though. Would have rather had Bendendo stay

whythelongface
14-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Was hoping Tobes would come in but maybe another week at VFL level is good for his confidence.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bruce makes a big difference in our ability to convert our inside 50s.

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 07:57 PM
Pretty happy McComb got dropped twice. Not happy McNeill is back in though. Would have rather had Bendendo stay

Thin ice Scraggers....THIN ICE!

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 07:58 PM
Yep and 2 gamer at that.

I reckon Hunter is fine. It's all a ruse.

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 08:09 PM
Was hoping Tobes would come in but maybe another week at VFL level is good for his confidence.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bruce makes a big difference in our ability to convert our inside 50s.

No VFL this week but another week to work on his fitness won't hurt.
We probably didn't want to risk two underdone players.

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 08:11 PM
Naughton now out.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-07-2022, 08:11 PM
Naughton out (H&S) Sweet in

Smads57
14-07-2022, 08:12 PM
AFL site showing Naughton also out (HS) and Sweet into the team to replace him

azabob
14-07-2022, 08:14 PM
English forward; Sweet to ruck.
Unlikely, but I can hope.

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 08:18 PM
Naughton now out.

Thats a huge blow.

azabob
14-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Naughton now out.

Also… McComb is now an emergency…

Mantis
14-07-2022, 08:23 PM

Dislike!

Hopefully he’s emergency number 4.

Grantysghost
Naughton now out.

Season gone.

G-Mo77
Oh boy :(

angelopetraglia
We can’t take a trick!!!!!

josie
14-07-2022, 08:25 PM

I know he is hard at it and I wish him well but Cleary, Bedendo and definitely Maclean should all be picked before him. Especially as we have Smith back in.

josie
14-07-2022, 08:31 PM
At least Naughton out with h&s protocols so not long term but sheesh!! Noticed 2 of Saints players out with h&s protocols too, likely not in roles as crucial as Naughton’s us for us. Presuming it’s covid this shows how widespread covid is in community which is what news has been saying.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-07-2022, 08:37 PM
As the AFL lift vaccination requirements

josie
14-07-2022, 08:41 PM
Anyone else find it interesting Windscreens O’Brien listed as one of emergencies and not Cordy (Cordy was good in vfl, O’Brien ok too but I thought Cordy better). Mind you, with h&s protocols considering 3 out already quite possible that more players might need replacing before tomorrow’s match.

josie
14-07-2022, 08:45 PM

Does seem odd. Perhaps they had legal advice to do so. But with expert doctors recommending we wear masks indoors, 4th shots encouraged for over 50’s, a lot of outbreaks in aged care, our emergency services and ED hospitals struggling and operations about to be postponed you’ve got to wonder why AFL did not keep this requirement in a little longer.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-07-2022, 08:46 PM
Especially with finals coming soon

GVGjr
14-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Anyone else find it interesting Windscreens O’Brien listed as one of emergencies and not Cordy (Cordy was good in vfl, O’Brien ok too but I thought Cordy better). Mind you, with h&s protocols considering 3 out already quite possible that more players might need replacing before tomorrow’s match.

I did, I wonder if it's more of a sign that Cordy's days are numbered.

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 08:52 PM
If Naughton can’t play the least he could do is go kiss Max King on the mouth.

josie
14-07-2022, 08:52 PM
I did, I wonder if it's more of a sign that Cordy's days are numbered.

That’s what I was thinking too.

josie
14-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Thanks for making me smile HD. Muchos Gracias.

EasternWest
14-07-2022, 09:04 PM

That's my fetish.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2022, 09:07 PM

Far out I can't believe it as the virus is spreading.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2022, 09:12 PM
Bruce to FF, JUH or English to CHF?

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 09:18 PM
https://youtu.be/__m90SnNjvM

Happy Days
14-07-2022, 09:19 PM
That's my fetish.

Was obviously meant to reply to this.

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 09:53 PM
Does seem odd. Perhaps they had legal advice to do so. But with expert doctors recommending we wear masks indoors, 4th shots encouraged for over 50’s, a lot of outbreaks in aged care, our emergency services and ED hospitals struggling and operations about to be postponed you’ve got to wonder why AFL did not keep this requirement in a little longer.

It's probably a handful of players.

Most settings have dropped the vaccine mandate including schools.

kruder
14-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Are we allowed to play Tim in the forward line this week? Or is it not in his contract?

Grantysghost
14-07-2022, 10:13 PM

It could be worse than that HD...

He was out to dinner with English and Lipinski during the week.

Bullies
14-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Are we allowed to play Tim in the forward line this week? Or is it not in his contract? I would say Tim will be CHF with Sweet coming in

jeemak
14-07-2022, 10:20 PM
Are we allowed to play Tim in the forward line this week? Or is it not in his contract?

I'm sure there'd be a stipulation within the document to say that he's allowed to play primarily as a forward 25% of games.

Eastdog
14-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Don’t normally post much on the match committee threads more a reader.

Naughton is a big out. Great to have Josh Bruce and Bailey Smith. We have missed Bruce this season. Was having a great 2021 until the injury. Baz will come back and give our midfield a spark. Good to see Khamis get another go.

bornadog
15-07-2022, 06:13 AM
It could be worse than that HD...

He was out to dinner with English and Lipinski during the week.

Tim doesn't live to Naughton any more

azabob
15-07-2022, 08:33 AM
Tim doesn't live to Naughton any more

GG said they were out for dinner. Not eating dinner at home!

Enjoy your holiday and log off! Following the dogs from abroad on holiday only leads to arguments with who you are travelling with!

azabob
15-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Do we think it is likely will have one or two more come down with H&S protocols today or over the weekend?

Grantysghost
15-07-2022, 09:23 AM
GG said they were out for dinner. Not eating dinner at home!

Enjoy your holiday and log off! Following the dogs from abroad on holiday only leads to arguments with who you are travelling with!

Yes they were out at a restaurant with their partners. It was on Naughts' instagram feed yesterday but abruptly disappeared.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2022, 10:04 AM
That's my fetish.

You devil.

G-Mo77
15-07-2022, 11:27 AM
Do we think it is likely will have one or two more come down with H&S protocols today or over the weekend?

Possibly, it could also mean Naughton misses next week as well.

Axe Man
15-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Possibly, it could also mean Naughton misses next week as well.

Why would he miss next week?

G-Mo77
15-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Why would he miss next week?

If he's positive he could miss more time. I'm just speaking on how it effected my family, there was no way I could have run around after 7 days. Granted I'm no athlete but still, it effects people differently.

Axe Man
15-07-2022, 12:20 PM
If he's positive he could miss more time. I'm just speaking on how it effected my family, there was no way I could have run around after 7 days. Granted I'm no athlete but still, it effects people differently.

For sure it's different for everyone - personally I could have played footy, didn't really effect much me at all.

I haven't really heard much about many players being adversely effected. Seems like the majority come through it OK which is to be expected being young, fit and immunized.

Rocco Jones
15-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Yes they were out at a restaurant with their partners. It was on Naughts' instagram feed yesterday but abruptly disappeared.

It disappeared as it was an instagram story, which only lasts 24 hours. I hate that I know that.

Grantysghost
15-07-2022, 12:25 PM
It disappeared as it was an instagram story, which only lasts 24 hours. I hate that I know that.

Ahh thanks RJ!

Also : shame.

G-Mo77
15-07-2022, 12:30 PM
For sure it's different for everyone - personally I could have played footy, didn't really effect much me at all.

I haven't really heard much about many players being adversely effected. Seems like the majority come through it OK which is to be expected being young, fit and immunized.

The next problem is if it's transmitted to more players. We could be like the Weagles next week. The only Marvel game I have attended will be next week. Hahaha.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2022, 04:54 PM
COACHES VOTES

Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Callum Wilkie (STK)
5 Tom Liberatore (WB)
3 Ryan Gardner (WB)
2 Jason Johannisen (WB)
2 Bailey Dale (WB)
1 Jack Macrae (WB)

Bulldog4life