PDA

View Full Version : Cody Weightman Appreciation Thread - My word that was TOUGH!!

mjp
19-06-2022, 11:22 AM
Just a bit of respect for the young fella.

Bad injury.

In the moment - looked at it (it looked bad) - didn't yell out, didn't withdraw...held his elbow and waited for the medicos to come and assist.

Strapped it up and WENT BACK ON. You could see the joint swelling through the strapping tape. It would have been very painful.

I actually can't believe we needed him to go back on but this isn't about that - it's about the determination shown by a young player to keep contributing in spite of a serious injury.

Much respect.

Happy Days
19-06-2022, 11:25 AM
+1 from me. What he did was psychotically courageous and I guarantee you won’t hear shit about it from the gang of idiots who were all too willing to pile on for his, lets say, playing style.

I love Cody man. He makes the game so much more fun.

bornadog
19-06-2022, 11:37 AM
Very courageous indeed, just got on with it and no whinging.

I love his enthusiasm and the great big smile when we kick goals. Even on the bench, next to the coach he is jumping up and down when we kick a goal.

21 goals so far in 11 games, becoming a very important forward.

Grantysghost
19-06-2022, 11:46 AM
When I initially saw the angle and my wife covered her face I thought that's a long term injury.

For him to deal with it the way he did shock wise and not only that come back on and play a part was simply outstanding.

We've got a ripper there.

azabob
19-06-2022, 11:59 AM
Amazing effort. He actually looked like he was going to kick another couple of goals after half time.

Beveridge said in his press conference he actually didn't get pain relief to come back on.

GVGjr
19-06-2022, 12:03 PM
He's a very determined young man who just loves playing football.
We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field. He's a mark and kick burst type forward for us.
For the older Bulldogs supporters I rate Cody's effort last night as very Stephen Power like

Jeanette54
19-06-2022, 12:17 PM
For the older Bulldogs supporters I rate Cody's effort last night as very Stephen Power like

I hope all the Essendon supporters who piled on Cody after last year's elimination final, were watching last night. Your club is in dire need of this type of selfless grit. It would certainly be much the better for it.

ps. Love the reference to Stephen Power, one of my favourite Bulldogs (along with John Jillard) of days gone by.

mjp
19-06-2022, 12:21 PM
Beveridge said in his press conference he actually didn't get pain relief to come back on.

Yeah - I don't think taking pain management then returning to play is a good plan after an injury like that...you kind of have to either 'do it or not do it'. Taking pain meds to mask a potentially 'serious' injury is kind of a no go.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2022, 12:25 PM
He's a very determined you man who just loves playing football.
We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field.

Yes G he was as tough as they come. And Power used to remind me of John Jillard for his toughness and I suppose playing in the similar position helped too.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2022, 12:26 PM
I hope all the Essendon supporters who piled on Cody after last year's elimination final, were watching last night. Your club is in dire need of this type of selfless grit. It would certainly be much the better for it.

ps. Love the reference to Stephen Power, one of my favourite Bulldogs (along with John Jillard) of days gone by.

Didn't see this Jeanette when I posted. Loved both of those players too.

azabob
19-06-2022, 12:27 PM
Yeah - I don't think taking pain management then returning to play is a good plan after an injury like that...you kind of have to either 'do it or not do it'. Taking pain meds to mask a potentially 'serious' injury is kind of a no go.

Thanks. I can't recall but someone on the fox coverage last night said he'd be "juiced up to his eyeballs"

Bulldog4life
19-06-2022, 12:29 PM
What a gutsy and purely tough effort by Cody. He's a beauty. Kicked 5 goals too. What more do you want in a player?

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 12:41 PM
He's a very determined young man who just loves playing football.
We didn't quite get the small forward crumber we were hoping for when we drafted him but he typifies the old Bulldog spirit of getting patched up and back on to the field. He's a mark and kick burst type forward for us.

I missed the game but from the highlights I've seen he looked to me to have started the game at full forward leading out of the square and it seemed to throw the plastics defence completely. I love that he can do things like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he can add playing as the crumbling small forward as well as a marking mid sized flanker depending on match ups and team needs as his career develops.

azabob
19-06-2022, 01:02 PM
I missed the game but from the highlights I've seen he looked to me to have started the game at full forward leading out of the square and it seemed to throw the plastics defence completely. I love that he can do things like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he can add playing as the crumbling small forward as well as a marking mid sized flanker depending on match ups and team needs as his career develops.

I watched it and yes he started deep forward.

I'm still puzzled how Cody Weightman kicked five goals without a single free kick. I thought he only kicked goals when he got free kicks...

GVGjr
19-06-2022, 01:55 PM

You might have missed this one

Power (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?20301-A-Blast-from-the-Past-Stephen-Power)

Enjoy

Jeanette54
19-06-2022, 05:55 PM
You might have missed this one

Power (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?20301-A-Blast-from-the-Past-Stephen-Power)

Enjoy

Thank-you. Power and Thorpe, I bet the opposition wingmen weren't looking forward to playing the 'Dogs in those days.

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 07:29 PM
I watched it and yes he started deep forward.

Thangyewverymuch.

I'm still puzzled how Cody Weightman kicked five goals without a single free kick. I thought he only kicked goals when he got free kicks...

Ah well you see. They have cunningly figured out a way to give Cody free kicks without anyone else in the stadium or watching on TV noticing.

That mark he too on the lead at the start of the game? It was actually paid as a free kick. See how they do it?

The Underdog
19-06-2022, 07:48 PM
The crazy part is he was still flying and laying tackles including one that should have resulted in him having a shot at goal in the last. His best and most important game of his career yet.

Twodogs
19-06-2022, 08:00 PM
21 goals so far in 11 games, becoming a very important forward.

Kicked his 50th career last night. I'm kind of disappointed it was in Sydney. If it was in Melbourne we could have run out on the ground to celebrate.

Eastdog
20-06-2022, 12:31 AM
Great match from Cody. Was great to watch him in that forward line last night. Battled really hard particularly with that injury and to still come on and be hard at it was very courageous.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2022, 11:48 AM
The crazy part is he was still flying and laying tackles including one that should have resulted in him having a shot at goal in the last. His best and most important game of his career yet.

This.

I cringed every time for him, he was relentless.

Huge effort.

1eyedog
20-06-2022, 11:54 AM
You just know he's going to do a fitness test on Thursday and say he's right to go even if he's not.

Love him.

azabob
20-06-2022, 11:55 AM
You just know he's going to do a fitness test on Thursday and say he's right to go even if he's not.

Love him.

I hope not. Many examples of it not ending well.

1eyedog
20-06-2022, 11:58 AM

Slightly tongue in cheek, the implication is that he'd play at any cost such that he loves to be out there.

The medicos will make the right call on him.

MrMahatma
20-06-2022, 12:13 PM
I was watching with 2 mates and I was saying just after doing it "You know, he may not miss that much footy cause sometimes they put it back in and strap it up, but how nasty... imagine the pain". They were saying "Um... nah, that is really bad... that's a long lay off". Then he comes back on!

Guts. 3 votes, C Weightman.

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2022, 03:10 PM

With the injury he suffered I don't see any extra risk.
If he is right on movement and pain he can play.

azabob
20-06-2022, 04:23 PM
With the injury he suffered I don't see any extra risk.
If he is right on movement and pain he can play.

I'm not thinking extra risk, more so he won't get near it and will struggle to impact the game.

Flamethrower
20-06-2022, 08:34 PM
As skillful as Brad Johnson (more reliable in front of goals than Johnno too), as tough as Clay Smith...a great combination for a long, successful career.

1eyedog
20-06-2022, 11:13 PM
I'm not thinking extra risk, more so he won't get near it and will struggle to impact the game.

Pure speculation.

azabob
21-06-2022, 08:12 AM
Pure speculation.

Yep, for sure.

Like 95% of our discussions!

Grantysghost
21-06-2022, 10:04 AM
Yep, for sure.

Like 95% of our discussions!

It's 96 xD

The Underdog
22-06-2022, 07:09 PM
It's 96 xD

That's pure speculation. Back it up with facts.

1eyedog
23-06-2022, 10:56 AM
It's 96 xD

Be realistic though pretty sure BAD and Danjul post more than 4% on this forum.

Happy Days
23-06-2022, 11:10 AM
Be realistic though pretty sure BAD and Danjul post more than 4% on this forum.

Depends if we win or not.

1eyedog
23-06-2022, 05:19 PM
True dat.