PDA

View Full Version : The Treloar trade : a retrospective

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:21 AM
It's October 2020.

We've just been blown out of the finals in a pretty insipid performance against the Aints at the Gabba.

We've got the number 1 pick through the NGA in my main man Marra about to come to the kennel.

We head into the trade period with list issues that have long plagued Beveridge sides.

Namely a key defender, ruck and small forward.

You're the list manager; you've got some cash to splash and a senior player in Dunkley wanting out what do you do?

N. B. : I've been thinking about Treloar of late, how he pretty much fell into our lap and we gave him a 5 year deal on decent coin. It wasn't the plan going into trade week and I thought a nice little retrospective would be a fun exercise.
It's not Adam bashing; he's a very good player. It's analysing the list management aspect of the deal.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:23 AM
A had a poll! It didn't work :(

Maybe a mod can fix it for me.

It was

1. Trade for Aliir Aliir
2. Trade for Tom Hickey
3. Trade for Peter Wright
4. Trade for Ben Brown
5. Other
6. I love the bromance, it completes me.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:26 AM
For me, considering the biggest list hole we have is that intercept defender I'd have traded out Dunkley and traded in Aliir.
We probably didn't have the draft capital without moving on Dunks, considering the points needed for Marra and Darcy.

EasternWest
03-07-2022, 11:28 AM
I'm actually a big wrap for all of the guys you've mentioned, despite Ben Brown's hair.

I was keen on Peter Wright all along, so I'll stick with him.

Happy Days
03-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Aliir is horribly miscast at Port as their primary stopper to let Tom Jonas do whatever it is he allegedly does. He'd be perfect for us in a Lever role.

Happy Days
Also if we traded for Ben Brown then I would find something else to do with my weekends.

Grantysghost
I'm actually a big wrap for all of the guys you've mentioned, despite Ben Brown's hair.

The hair and the run up xD

2MP would certainly fill that second ruck / forward role perfectly.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:32 AM
Aliir is horribly miscast at Port as their primary stopper to let Tom Jonas do whatever it is he allegedly does. He'd be perfect for us in a Lever role.

Agree, I can imagine in the GF (from what I've heard of the game) he would've been pretty handy when they had that run on.

Sedat
03-07-2022, 11:37 AM
His hair is bad but at least it is not mediocre and completely forgettable like Finlayson's

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:39 AM
His hair is bad but at least it is not mediocre and completely forgettable like Finlayson's

You're voting for the bromance Sedat? ;)

EasternWest
03-07-2022, 11:43 AM

Au contraire, Finlayson's is rememberable for all the RIGHT reasons. For example, when the great pretender has another 1 possession big game you can remind him about how he had 1 possession and also has shit hair. It's like a weapon that there's no armour for.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2022, 01:11 PM

If I remember we were into Peter Wright in his draft year with pick 6 but passed it on to GWS with the Griffin/ Boyd scenario.

GVGjr
03-07-2022, 01:34 PM
Poll options added.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 01:39 PM
Poll options added.

Thanks GVG.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 02:14 PM
If I remember we were into Peter Wright in his draft year with pick 6 but passed it on to GWS with the Griffin/ Boyd scenario.
I think he's a westy too.

Have to say I thought he was a dud at the Suns I definitely wouldn't have wanted him over Treloar.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2022, 02:35 PM
I think he's a westy too.

Have to say I thought he was a dud at the Suns I definitely wouldn't have wanted him over Treloar.

Another one of the "big men need time" scenarios.

MrMahatma
03-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Brown didn’t cost much. So you’d go for Aliir and Brown and prob still have change.

But pretty sure Port were working on Aliir for a long time.

I love Ads also.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Brown didn’t cost much. So you’d go for Aliir and Brown and prob still have change.

But pretty sure Port were working on Aliir for a long time.

I love Ads also.

I think Port identified a list gap and put in the leg work to get it across the line.
I hope we were at least in the conversation.

See if you can work this out (Brown trade)

https://www.draftguru.com.au/trades/2020-ben-brown

So net Brown cost 470 draft index points which is approx pick 38. Decent trading.

jeemak
03-07-2022, 04:36 PM
I went for other. And I'm not disclosing what I mean by that.

bornadog
03-07-2022, 04:50 PM
Treloar fell into our arms and I am more than happy he did. It wasn't as if the whole draft we were chasing him.

We were mainly concerned about getting enough draft points to get Jamarra. In the meantime Port traded for Aliir Aliir and not long after that Sydney picked up Hickey.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 04:53 PM
I went for other. And I'm not disclosing what I mean by that.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vz1JaadGpBDwsSSJTi/giphy.gif

MrMahatma
03-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Was it known Aliir or Hickey were up for grabs?

Anyone here call for them to be brought in?

Can anyone tell me now the guys available this trade period who won’t cost much but will be good players next year? There’ll be a couple. I’m ok with you giving me just one name.

Grantysghost
03-07-2022, 11:36 PM

Can anyone tell me now the guys available this trade period who won’t cost much but will be good players next year? There’ll be a couple. I’m ok with you giving me just one name.

Lobb?

My understanding is agents float them to list managers during the season.

azabob
04-07-2022, 08:53 AM

From what I picked up it was savvy list management by the Swans and Power.

Aliir still had a year to run on his contract. He was in and out of the Sydney team and rotating ruck and forward. Power identified they needed a key defender and approached Aliir and said he is our offer and this is the position we want you to play. The rest is history.

The Hickey one from memory was purely for back up as they had traded out Darcy Cameron to the pies

In both cases the clubs identified a need an chased the player they thought fit it best.

boydogs
07-07-2022, 12:17 AM
I don’t get the Ben Brown hate. Totally worth pick 38

Sedat
07-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Pale, gangly, pasty, gets frees simply for being unco, bad hair.

Jokes aside, he's no superstar but he can perform a role under the right system.

Happy Days
07-07-2022, 10:59 AM

He’s terrible, the least fun player to watch that I can ever think of seeing, offers no positional versatility for some reason despite being 200cm, and completely useless outside of That One Thing He Does (lead at the ball, extend his arms, drop the ball and get a free kick because no one could possibly look that bad on purpose). Also his run up is intentionally antagonistic.

I feel like I’m getting a different version of him to everyone else.

bornadog
07-07-2022, 11:25 AM
He’s terrible, the least fun player to watch that I can ever think of seeing, offers no positional versatility for some reason despite being 200cm, and completely useless outside of That One Thing He Does (lead at the ball, extend his arms, drop the ball and get a free kick because no one could possibly look that bad on purpose). Also his run up is intentionally antagonistic.

That is how I see him too. Can't stand the way he falls over all the time and gets a free kick in front of goals.

josie
07-07-2022, 12:35 PM
I don’t hate Ben Brown but cannot help but laugh a little at his clown like goal kicking run up technique and his silly side show Bob hair. I don’t like the way he flops around like a hooked fish to receive free kicks but to be fair he is not the only player who does it. Part of me says good on you for winning a premiership after north let him go. Would I want him on our list? Probably not, but prefer him to thug green or smirk face Jeremy. And given our poor goal kicking accuracy has bitten us a fair bit for some years, both could teach some of our boys how to kick for goal more reliably.

GVGjr
31-07-2022, 05:05 PM
There has been mixed reactions to Treloars move to the back line but credit to him as he seems to have handled it well.

Do you think this is this a move we are likely to stick with next season or use from time to time? Or will he slot back into a wing or half forward role?

hujsh
31-07-2022, 05:10 PM
There has been mixed reactions to Treloars move to the back line but credit to him as he seems to have handled it well.

Do you think this is this a move we are likely to stick with next season or use from time to time? Or will he slot back into a wing or half forward role?

I think he was giving us more than Daniel has this year. If Daniel is not making good decisions and picking through the zone then he's just slowing down our movement and Treloar's dash and longer kicking is of much more value to our rebound.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 05:33 PM
We certainly missed Adam this week.

GVGjr
31-07-2022, 05:34 PM
We certainly missed Adam this week.

And it's likely we will miss him again next week.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 06:28 PM
I was contemplating our midfield after the game.

Is it as good as everyone tells us?

I think we've got one absolute A grader and there's little surprise that with him being down all year so has the side.

Look at the last two weeks as a microcosm of the season.

Bont had his best game against the Demons, we had our best result.
This week he's injured early and the midfield is destroyed.

I think Treloar is/was an A grader when he played midfield.

I'd like to use the off season to get him back in there permanently.
He gives us a point of difference with his pace and ability to separate along with Smith.

Macrae could be used in a Brayshaw role as a defensive wing / half back.

Only issue is his injury history for me.

A core midfield of Bont, Libba, Treloar, Smith, Dunkley looks balanced to me.

Edit : Libba is A grade/b+++

azabob
31-07-2022, 07:22 PM
GG I think it is very clear that our midfield as individuals are very good. When they have to work as a team; we are mid table.

GVGjr
31-07-2022, 07:30 PM
I think our midfield is close to being excellent but we lack that lock down player that we could move in there when opposition sides are lifting.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 07:31 PM
GG I think it is very clear that our midfield as individuals are very good. When they have to work as a team; we are mid table.

No doubt they're our strongest line, I do think however it still needs work.
Very one paced and lack the top end talent of the best.

azabob
31-07-2022, 07:33 PM
No doubt they're are strongest line, I do think however it still needs work.
Very one paced and lack the top end talent of the best.

Strongest line or weakest link; very fine line.

Half a dozen clubs have a better midfield.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 08:08 PM
I think our midfield is close to being excellent but we lack that lock down player that we could move in there when opposition sides are lifting.

If you were tasked with improving it, what would you do GVG?
We clearly can't match it with the best for long enough.

Watching the Cats toy with us brought instant comparisons to the GF.

It's clearly now an issue.

Frightening we've never been good enough for long enough in seasons under Bevo to make top 4.

That's where you win flags from. If the Pies make it with that list... I dont know.

GVGjr
31-07-2022, 08:17 PM
If you were tasked with improving it, what would you do GVG?
We clearly can't match it with the best for long enough.

Watching the Cats toy with us brought instant comparisons to the GF.

It's clearly now an issue.

Frightening we've never been good enough for long enough in seasons under Bevo to make top 4.

That's where you win flags from. If the Pies make it with that list... I dont know.

I mentioned last year that a player like Hewett could bring a slightly improved defensive option for us and I do think we could find similar types or shape one of own players to play that sort of role from time to time.
I just don't think it's in our DNA for the way we want to set-up. We can look very good and a bit jaded depending on the how the game is panning out.
I'd really like to hear Marc Webb's view on what we might be able to do a bit differently and I'm sure it's a regular discussion between all the coaches. Rohan Smith must dread seeing the ball heading into our back line so quickly.

FrediKanoute
01-08-2022, 04:51 PM
Garcia and West to take more of a midfield role - they are definite points of difference to what we have at the moment. As great as Westy has beeen as a defensive forward, having him as the Libba relief in the midfield would be amazing. Garcia, could be anything, is the classic inside-outside mid.

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 05:15 PM
Garcia and West to take more of a midfield role - they are definite points of difference to what we have at the moment. As great as Westy has beeen as a defensive forward, having him as the Libba relief in the midfield would be amazing. Garcia, could be anything, is the classic inside-outside mid.

Is Garcia capable of being a high possession winner or a solid defensive option on other teams mids? I'm not so sure.
I'm also not sure about West being a full time mid in the short term. He's done really well in the role he currently has but in time a move to the midfield on a more regular basis seems likely.

kruder
01-08-2022, 07:20 PM

Dunkley should be that player, but he would pack his bags if he had to tag. Many of his teammates are they same.

kruder
01-08-2022, 07:22 PM
Just on Treloar he was talking on his podcast that Matty Boyd is a really good coach. It pricked my ears a little, thought it was worth mentioning.

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 07:45 PM
Dunkley should be that player, but he would pack his bags if he had to tag. Many of his teammates are they same.

I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps not every week but I think he would thrive on a challenge. We just don't like using the tagging option.

He could be leaving us having not been asked to do that :)

kruder
01-08-2022, 07:53 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps not every week but I think he would thrive on a challenge. We just don't like using the tagging option.

He could be leaving us having not been asked to do that :)

Happily disagree. There is an underlying selfishness within the group and he is part of it.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 11:55 PM

Happily disagree. There is an underlying selfishness within the group and he is part of it.

I am accused on this forum for sticking up for the Club and players.

Well Kruder, when people make this stuff up like above (unless you have inside info), I am forced to call it out.

kruder
02-08-2022, 07:10 PM
I am accused on this forum for sticking up for the Club and players.

Well Kruder, when people make this stuff up like above (unless you have inside info), I am forced to call it out.

Please don't tell my mum. I beg you.

Twodogs
05-08-2022, 07:14 PM
Pale, gangly, pasty, gets frees simply for being unco, bad hair.

Jokes aside, he's no superstar but he can perform a role under the right system.

That is how I see him too. Can't stand the way he falls over all the time and gets a free kick in front of goals.

I don’t hate Ben Brown but cannot help but laugh a little at his clown like goal kicking run up technique and his silly side show Bob hair. I don’t like the way he flops around like a hooked fish to receive free kicks but to be fair he is not the only player who does it. Part of me says good on you for winning a premiership after north let him go. Would I want him on our list? Probably not, but prefer him to thug green or smirk face Jeremy. And given our poor goal kicking accuracy has bitten us a fair bit for some years, both could teach some of our boys how to kick for goal more reliably.

And he's a vegan