PDA

View Full Version : Which player's performance has dropped in 2022?

GVGjr
20-07-2022, 09:09 PM
In a season where we haven't quite hit our straps as a team there has also been a few of our players putting in strong performances.
Which player do you think has failed to live up to your expectations this season?

Hotdog60
20-07-2022, 10:14 PM
Bailey Williams for me if you go on last year he has gone backwards in skill and decision making. May be having trouble adjusting to the wing or he's caring a niggle or two but I'm surprised he hasn't found his way back to the two's.
That might say more on what players performances are below him.
His effective disposals this year to last has gone from on average 13.2 to 11.8 and his one % 3.5 to 1.8.
There seems to be some hesitation in his game and when he gets caught he does little effort and gets binged holding the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately there's quite a few candidates for this list.

Hunter and Keath are right up front. Both had excellent seasons last year, both have given next to nothing this year. Williams similar, save for a few OK weeks on the wing.

Unpopular opinion, but Bont should be on the list. His game v St Kilda was probably the first time this year he was in the top 3 players on the ground. Maybe I'm missing a couple of other games, but regardless of the excuse (Injury) I think he's really underdelivered.

Grantysghost
20-07-2022, 10:24 PM
I went Keath.

Williams and Hunter not far behind.

Being such an important role though I think Keath's drop off has been the most concerning.

Feel like he's aged 5 years in 12 months.

Hopefully he can get back to his best.

FrediKanoute
20-07-2022, 11:00 PM
McNeil - I really though he would push on this year. His zip is missing.

Grantysghost
20-07-2022, 11:07 PM
McNeil - I really though he would push on this year. His zip is missing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/de0xIgxhZgAXJbKGNd/giphy.gif

Swoop
21-07-2022, 12:20 AM
I voted Keath. He's so important to our side that his poor form has been quite noticeable and impacted our side moreso than others.

Other contenders include Williams, although I like him on a wing and I still hope he can make it his own and set himself for a positive 2023.

I think Vandermeer is another who has gone from a promising prospect to the fringe. Next year is going to be a crucial year for his own career so hopefully he can remain injury free.

I believe others like McNeil have stagnated but not necessarily gone backwards.

Marra might be a victim of our own expectations but I would argue he still has improved from last year.

boydogs
21-07-2022, 02:01 AM
1. Keath - moving worse than Stef Martin
2. Bont - his excellent St Kilda game used to be his regular fare
3. Hunter - MIA and average when on the park

bornadog
21-07-2022, 03:55 AM
I voted Williams but easily could have voted for Keath. Hunter had a legit excuse with mental health issues and Bont has been carrying an injury. Williams has no excuses, that we know of.

Although Bont not at his Brownlow best, he still contributes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYEUeX3VQAE7n_e?format=jpg&name=medium

Mofra
21-07-2022, 10:07 AM
Harsh on McNeill, the kid's still developing

I went with Hunter - a former B&F winner

Mantis
21-07-2022, 11:35 AM
I went for Keath. He was in AA form for much of last year when he was taking care of his opponent and then helping out others... he is barely doing his role at present.

Hunter & Williams have dropped away too, but Hunter's form dropped away last year and he's missed a large portion of the year with personal issues.

GVGjr
21-07-2022, 11:55 AM
In order for me it's Keath, Hunter and Williams. There might be good reasons for their decline but if they can return to form soon we might give the finals a real shake.

1eyedog
21-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Dunkley has been poor. He should be impacting games for longer with his experience. He's in his prime now and was touted as an AA two years ago but has stagnated.

He's a middle of the road midfielder and should be better. If we get a first rounder for him we should grab and run.

Happy Days
21-07-2022, 04:37 PM
I’d go with Keath too. He was probably just behind May and Weitering as the best key defender in the AFL last year, but has been more or less a liability this season.

Hunter’s drop off has been astounding but reckon it was beginning last year too. Williams’ first few games on the wing were pretty nice so hopefully he can pick it back up.

josie
21-07-2022, 05:36 PM
Keathy drop in form has been alarming but I went for Williams. IMO his move to the wing looked promising for a few weeks but I reckon his kicking is often poor - OOB, missing targets and I reckon he misses gettable goals.

I wonder if he has hit his ceiling, I hope not but there are others that could snap up his spot if he does not turn things around eg Bedendo, Cleary, Hannan and possibly Schache. Based on what I’ve seen from final series last year to now, I’d prefer Schache to be given games over Williams. I’d also prefer Hunter and Scott as wings which would push Williams out of 22.

Scorlibo
21-07-2022, 06:33 PM
I voted Williams but easily could have voted for Keath. Hunter had a legit excuse with mental health issues and Bont has been carrying an injury. Williams has no excuses, that we know of.

Although Bont not at his Brownlow best, he still contributes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYEUeX3VQAE7n_e?format=jpg&name=medium

Bont is also top 5 for score involvements. (We have 6 players in the top 20 for score involvements, which shows how top heavy the side is right now - Bont, Dunkley, Macrae, Libba, Treloar and Naughton).

IMO it would be nice if he'd had a few more goals to his name given the amount of time he's spent forward this season, particularly early on, and understandably his metres gained game has dropped away while he's been forward. Overall he's still elite this season, but played out of position more often, and definitely with less standout games where everyone jumps on his back.

I voted for Keath. He set the bar very high last season and hasn't got close to that level so far in 2022.

Another who could be in this vote is Cordy. Some will say he's never been at the standard but 100 games to his name says otherwise, and he's only played a bit over half of the games this season. Crozier another who has fallen out of the mix.

Bulldog4life
22-07-2022, 04:40 PM
In order for me it's Keath, Hunter and Williams. There might be good reasons for their decline but if they can return to form soon we might give the finals a real shake.

I love the positive mindset G.