PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

GVGjr
23-07-2022, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 19 match against Melbourne for our Round 20 match against Geelong at GMHBA on Saturday Night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2022, 11:47 PM
Hopefully Treloar is OK.

I'd prefer Hunter to McNeil.

I know Bruce will come up and I agree, but the only argument is that it provides Marra with a lesser opponent and we saw what he did tonight. Maybe we just have to 'live' with Bruce?

GVGjr
23-07-2022, 11:59 PM
Hopefully Treloar is OK.

I know Bruce will come up and I agree, but the only argument is that it provides Marra with a lesser opponent and we saw what he did tonight. Maybe we just have to 'live' with Bruce?

In 2020 when he was playing so poorly week after week he was getting bonus points for throwing his weight around and not much else. At some point he has to play a good game. Schache would be crucified for a one kick for the game but for some inventive reasons we will probably tolerate it from Bruce.

Happy Days
24-07-2022, 12:00 AM
No change *!*!*!*! yeah go dogs

MrMahatma
24-07-2022, 12:04 AM
As you were.

Go dogs

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2022, 12:11 AM
In 2020 when he was playing so poorly week after week he was getting bonus points for throwing his weight around and not much else. At some point he has to play a good game. Schache would be crucified for a one kick for the game but for some inventive reasons we will probably tolerate it from Bruce.

I don't disagree. Question is, would opposition just sag off Schache? They tend not to with Bruce. His leadership/ guidance is also far ahead of Schaches.

In raw playing terms I agree, but Schache has had his chances.

GVGjr
24-07-2022, 12:22 AM
I don't disagree. Question is, would opposition just sag off Schache? They tend not to with Bruce. His leadership/ guidance is also far ahead of Schaches.

Knowing how bad Bruce is performing won't defenders just do that to Bruce? Schache was in decent form before Covid.

Bruce gets a lot of credits for things like leadership and throwing his weight around when he is performing poorly.

Before I Die
24-07-2022, 12:22 AM

The most compelling evidence for keeping Bruce in the team is the fact that May played on him all night. If Naughton and Marra were not able to take advantage, it wouldn’t be enough. But for now it is. Also, he has just come back from a full knee reco. It is quite likely that he will come good, and if we make the finals, we will need him in form.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2022, 12:23 AM
Being cheeky and it won't happen. Darcy in for Bruce.:cool:

comrade
24-07-2022, 12:24 AM
Being cheeky and it won't happen. Darcy in for Bruce.:cool:

Now we’re talking.

Mantis
24-07-2022, 12:24 AM
The most compelling evidence for keeping Bruce in the team is the fact that May played on him all night. If Naughton and Marra were not able to take advantage, it wouldn’t be enough. But for now it is. Also, he has just come back from a full knee reco. It is quite likely that he will come good, and if we make the finals, we will need him in form.

May played on Naughton for all but the last 10-15min… Naughton got beaten by May, but to say Bruce was on him is factually wrong.

Bruce was on Tomlinson for most parts and didn’t look like getting near it.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2022, 12:54 AM
Knowing how bad Bruce is performing won't defenders just do that to Bruce? Schache was in decent form before Covid.

Bruce gets a lot of credits for things like leadership and throwing his weight around when he is performing poorly.

Most likely, at which point then it's encumbent on Bruce to actually hurt them or he goes back to VFL.

If they drop him next week I won't be surprised or annoyed by it. He looks so far off it. I'm just playing devils advocate and I wonder if the MC will decide to persist given the flow on effect his inclusion has.

Mantis
24-07-2022, 01:26 AM
Most likely, at which point then it's encumbent on Bruce to actually hurt them or he goes back to VFL.

If they drop him next week I won't be surprised or annoyed by it. He looks so far off it. I'm just playing devils advocate and I wonder if the MC will decide to persist given the flow on effect his inclusion has.

I think we all love what Bruce brings to the team as his passion for his teammates is infectious, but he’s comfortably been our worst player 2 weeks in a row, and based purely on performance we can’t back him in.

The time has come for Bevo to make the call and play Darcy… you know he wants to.

I’m also bringing in O’Brien for Khamis… I like Buku and he had some nice moments in the 2nd half, but he gets caught out of position way too often and playing loose as he does won’t help us against Geelong.

MrMahatma
24-07-2022, 02:26 AM
I think we all love what Bruce brings to the team as his passion for his teammates is infectious, but he’s comfortably been our worst player 2 weeks in a row, and based purely on performance we can’t back him in.

The time has come for Bevo to make the call and play Darcy… you know he wants to.

I’m also bringing in O’Brien for Khamis… I like Buku and he had some nice moments in the 2nd half, but he gets caught out of position way too often and playing loose as he does won’t help us against Geelong.

Yeah but also, 2 of our best wins all year (def our best win!)

Bruce will stay. Sum of the parts and all that.

whythelongface
24-07-2022, 03:01 AM
Hopefully Treloar is OK.

McNeill is under rated. I really like what he brings to the team. Tough, good tackler and has some good skills.

kruder
24-07-2022, 05:19 AM

Would you bring in Schache off his performance yesterday?

GVGjr
24-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Would you bring in Schache off his performance yesterday?

Depends if I thought he could make us better.
Darcy might offer a point of difference.

I'll never really get the differences in standards we hold some players to. Despite some good football before he got Covid, Schache is being judged on what he did yesterday. Two deplorable weeks from Bruce and it's like we have no other options.

josie
24-07-2022, 10:49 AM
If Treloar’s calf strain keeps him out I’d bring in Toby Maclean - was good yesterday in vfl and has been good since his return. I hope MC are not tempted to bring in VDM yet. He looked a fair way off and so with West and Garcia playing well he is not needed at present.

Grantysghost
24-07-2022, 11:05 AM
If Treloar’s calf strain keeps him out I’d bring in Toby Maclean - was good yesterday in vfl and has been good since his return. I hope MC are not tempted to bring in VDM yet. He looked a fair way off and so with West and Garcia playing well he is not needed at present.

Caleb might be back too.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2022, 11:11 AM
Caleb might be back too.

Yes I was hoping for that. Important piece of the puzzle.

kruder
24-07-2022, 11:33 AM

I'll never really get the differences in standards we hold some players to. Despite some good football before he got Covid, Schache is being judged on what he did yesterday. Two deplorable weeks from Bruce and it's like we have no other options.

I judge Schache not off one performance but over his whole career. If you can point out one area of improvement in his game since he joined the club id love to know.

Darcy is lengths ahead of him already IMO, the match committee will be tempted,but I expect Bruce will play again.

Danjul
24-07-2022, 11:36 AM

You are missing the point. As everyone saw in their primary school history class about the Roman Empire, people management cannot be successful without clearly defined good guys and bad guys.

It is not what they do, it’s what they represent. Bruce offers hope for a better future. That’s why woof supporters were demanding his premature return. And he has delivered. We are euphoric.

EasternWest
24-07-2022, 11:37 AM
You are missing the point. As everyone saw in their primary school history class about the Roman Empire, people management cannot be successful without clearly defined good guys and bad guys.

It is not what they do, it’s what they represent. Bruce offers hope for a better future. That’s why woof supporters were demanding his premature return. And he has delivered. We are euphoric.

Do find the name "Biggus Dickus" amusing?

Grantysghost
24-07-2022, 11:42 AM
Do find the name "Biggus Dickus" amusing?

https://media.giphy.com/media/8sOO8FrSOF9iE/giphy.gif

Danjul
24-07-2022, 11:52 AM
I judge Schache not off one performance but over his whole career. If you can point out one area of improvement in his game since he joined the club id love to know.

Darcy is lengths ahead of him already IMO, the match committee will be tempted,but I expect Bruce will play again.
When Schache played well on the backline against Adelaide and then moved to the forward line to kick 2 goals in the second half he was dropped from the 22. That was this season so I am sure you remember it. There’s an improvement - good at both ends of the ground.

Two goals in a half is almost as good as 2 disposals in a game, but clearly not quite. (or should I say 5 disposals in 2 games - a record low).

But you have to admit he was the perfect scapegoat for the 1 point loss. Kept the pressure off the underperforming stars.

azabob
24-07-2022, 11:54 AM
Danjul genuine question. Who are your INs and OUTs this week?

Im utterly confused with what your preferred ruck set up is.

angelopetraglia
24-07-2022, 11:56 AM
Wrong thread. But will throw it out there anyway. Who is making the journey down to Kardina Park next Saturday night? I don't think I have been to a game there for at least a decade now, but have been to many games there on the journey.

Grantysghost
24-07-2022, 11:59 AM
When Schache played well on the backline against Adelaide and then moved to the forward line to kick 2 goals in the second half he was dropped from the 22. That was this season so I am sure you remember it. There’s an improvement - good at both ends of the ground.

Two goals in a half is almost as good as 2 disposals in a game, but clearly not quite. (or should I say 5 disposals in 2 games - a record low).

But you have to admit he was the perfect scapegoat for the 1 point loss. Kept the pressure off the underperforming stars.

Sarcasm aside you have a point re Schache. He does seem to have different standards applied.

I hope we keep him on but it might be better for his career if he was getting regular games somewhere else.

Grantysghost
24-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Wrong thread. But will throw it out there anyway. Who is making the journey down to Kardina Park next Saturday night? I don't think I have been to a game there for at least a decade now, but have been to many games there on the journey (I was there for the two incredible comebacks in the West/Grant/Johnson/Smith era but the one that sticks in my mind is seeing Gary Ablett Snr tear us apart in Joyce's last game before he was sacked).

I was going to, but the cheapest ticket is 60 bucks and I won't give it to those cretins!

GVGjr
24-07-2022, 12:02 PM

Isn't team selection based on putting the best team on the park? If so it should be based more on recent form.
What we have seen from Bruce so far is that he needs another run at the VFL and to hopefully get ready for a finals series.
I get many people are content in waiting for Bruce to start and deliver but at the moment Darcy, Schache, O'Brien or even Cordy would offer more than him.

My guess is the selectors will stick with him but they should give this a lot of thought.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-07-2022, 12:46 PM
Nathan Brown suggests Bruce should go back with Juh and Naughton firing. I am open to it v Cats.

GVGjr
24-07-2022, 12:49 PM
Nathan Brown suggests Bruce should go back with Juh and Naughton firing. I am open to it v Cats.

It's a decent suggestion if he has the condition to get run around a bit.

mjp
24-07-2022, 12:54 PM
It's a decent suggestion if he has the condition to get run around a bit.

That's the VFL backline you guys are talking about right?

We would be a better side with Sweet giving us 5-mins per quarter and sitting on the bench than we are with Josh right now. I know I am not exactly the leader of the JB fan club but he isn't ready right now. It's hard coming back from a knee. I feel no ill-will towards him as it isn't his fault but he is not ready or prepared to play AFL footy.

EasternWest
24-07-2022, 01:04 PM
but he is not ready or prepared to play AFL footy.

This is straight truth. Personal feelings about Bruce are irrelevant he's simply not conditioned enough for the big league yet.

I'd almost be tempted to play him in the VFL for the remainder of the season and put him through a 20/21 preseason again and have him fit and ready for next year.

GVGjr
24-07-2022, 01:29 PM
That's the VFL backline you guys are talking about right?

We would be a better side with Sweet giving us 5-mins per quarter and sitting on the bench than we are with Josh right now. I know I am not exactly the leader of the JB fan club but he isn't ready right now. It's hard coming back from a knee. I feel no ill-will towards him as it isn't his fault but he is not ready or prepared to play AFL footy.

That's how I see it. We know his best is impressive but he's a long way off it. Is playing him the seniors the best way to achieve that? I don't think so.
The "he draws a good opponent" logic just doesn't ring true to me. Opposition teams will know that he doesn't need the best or second best defender on him at the moment.

Bullies
24-07-2022, 01:45 PM
This is straight truth. Personal feelings about Bruce are irrelevant he's simply not conditioned enough for the big league yet.

I'd almost be tempted to play him in the VFL for the remainder of the season and put him through a 20/21 preseason again and have him fit and ready for next year. Agree with this call. I said previously Bruce looked well and truly under done playing in the 2's. Sides will quickly realise they don't need to play their 1 and 2 defenders on him he is so far off it. Wouldn't surprise if opposition leave him as a loose man on our forward line.

Danjul
24-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Danjul genuine question. Who are your INs and OUTs this week?

Im utterly confused with what your preferred ruck set up is.

I sat on the wing with a perfect view of the centre bounce. Melbourne got a goal 30 seconds after Bruce first went in for his first ruck contest there. That lifted them to their most dominant plays of the evening. He was a liability last night. I don’t blame him because he was brought in before he was ready.

We all saw the difference between the 2020 and 2021 Bruce. The match committee has obviously decided that the rest of the team can carry him as he runs back into the 2021 form. After all, they did get our only 3 final wins in 5 years without him.

We played Geelong recently and I sat through the middle of the game confidently expecting a win. Geelong couldn’t get back into the game and their lead was evaporating. Then English had a rest and the Cats surged. A repeat of the losses earlier in the year when Cordy was second ruck. The use of fill ins for ruck duty sometimes looks good but is usually damaging. We risked it last night and we have lost games earlier in the year with our selection.

So who should play ruck? Someone who has shown that they can play ruck recently is the obvious answer.

Preferably someone who can get more than 2 possessions and 3 hitouts. In his last game Schache got 12 possessions and 5 hitouts, so he can’t be considered. So it looks like Bruce will get the nod there.

boydogs
24-07-2022, 03:02 PM
Sweet in for Bruce

Mantis
24-07-2022, 03:11 PM
Sweet in for Bruce

Check the stats from the Footscray game yesterday and let me know if you’re still happy with this call.

G-Mo77
24-07-2022, 03:21 PM
Check the stats from the Footscray game yesterday and let me know if you’re still happy with this call.

Then you'd look at Martin and you've got the same problem really. English plays what? 85 -90% ruck time. Martin can't play anywhere else, Sweet can't seem to clamp down on it either. It's stay with Bruce or go with Schache? I think we'll keep Bruce in the team.

Mantis
24-07-2022, 03:27 PM
Then you'd look at Martin and you've got the same problem really. English plays what? 85 -90% ruck time. Martin can't play anywhere else, Sweet can't seem to clamp down on it either. It's stay with Bruce or go with Schache? I think we'll keep Bruce in the team.

Agree that neither Martin or Sweet can play as the 2nd ruck as they offer bugger all as forwards. You can’t have Sweet play as he did last week when he only had 61% TOG… you just can’t.

I’m all in on playing Darcy… no bigger game to debut in and at worst it means his Dad will have to hand over the game calling duties to someone else which is a win for footy fans.

josie
24-07-2022, 03:32 PM
Caleb might be back too.

I saw Caleb walking at WO yesterday with some of his friends. They were up the first set of stairs and walking past the coaches box. To my eye he looked like he was walking a bit gingerly. I’m guessing he will not be available for a few more weeks. We’ve missed him. However I think Bailey Dale has become even better in his absence, and has borne the extra responsibility on his shoulders well, so that’s a positive.

Martin looked really good yesterday, including around the ground. If he could only keep that up we might be surprised that talk of his demise is premature.

josie
24-07-2022, 03:33 PM
Agree that neither Martin or Sweet can play as the 2nd ruck as they offer bugger all as forwards. You can’t have Sweet play as he did last week when he only had 61% TOG… you just can’t.

I’m all in on playing Darcy… no bigger game to debut in and at worst it means his Dad will have to hand over the game calling duties to someone else which is a win for footy fans.

I’d love to see this too. But as I say Martin looked pretty good around the ground yesterday.

Grantysghost
24-07-2022, 03:58 PM
I saw Caleb walking at WO yesterday with some of his friends. They were up the first set of stairs and walking past the coaches box. To my eye he looked like he was walking a bit gingerly. I’m guessing he will not be available for a few more weeks. We’ve missed him. However I think Bailey Dale has become even better in his absence, and has borne the extra responsibility on his shoulders well, so that’s a positive.

Martin looked really good yesterday, including around the ground. If he could only keep that up we might be surprised that talk of his demise is premature.

Interesting thanks Josie.

Bevo mentioned this week or next; maybe he was foxing.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2022, 04:09 PM
In: Daniel, Darcy

Out: Treloar, Bruce

If Treloar is right to go, it gets a bit tricky. Maybe McNeil moves to the sub and Daniel comes in.

boydogs
24-07-2022, 09:23 PM

30 hit outs right? Am I missing something?

You don’t want your ruck accumulating the ball and delivering it forward, I would judge him on hit outs, marks and TOG

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1179076/vfl-r18-report-bulldogs-go-down-to-casey

Mantis
24-07-2022, 10:06 PM
30 hit outs right? Am I missing something?

You don’t want your ruck accumulating the ball and delivering it forward, I would judge him on hit outs, marks and TOG

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1179076/vfl-r18-report-bulldogs-go-down-to-casey

Your expectations for someone who is probably only going to play 20-25min in the ruck are completely different to mine… so as you were.

boydogs
25-07-2022, 12:51 AM
Your expectations for someone who is probably only going to play 20-25min in the ruck are completely different to mine… so as you were.

I wouldn't limit it to 20-25 minutes, partly because I think he's a better tap ruckman than English, partly because English displays more intensity when he gets more than 5 mins a quarter breaks, partly because English is better than Sweet up forward

Dry Rot
25-07-2022, 01:18 AM
To my eye JJ was poor.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 01:23 AM
I assume that you are suggesting that Bruce will run into form quickly and get back to his 2021 goals output. But can you justify that?

When we defeated Melbourne in 2020 Bruce had played 11 consecutive games for the Dogs and been goalless in 5.

He had 5 disposals (team lowest), O goals and spent a lot of time in the ruck for 5 hitouts (his best for the season). So he had not run into form yet. In his next 5 games he kicked a total of 2 goals.

So selecting an unfit(?) Bruce as a goal kicker was always a gamble. It might be a gamble again this year. Are we confident that we will make the finals and can take the risk of using coming games as training runs?

Danjul
25-07-2022, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't limit it to 20-25 minutes, partly because I think he's a better tap ruckman than English, partly because English displays more intensity when he gets more than 5 mins a quarter breaks, partly because English is better than Sweet up forward
Why is he removed from the game so much? Genuine question.

He doesn’t ask to go to the bench. He is benched before he can build any momentum and integrate into the game flow. It is a preplanned game strategy.

In both 2021 and 2022 Sweet has played 80+% game time and had more than a dozen disposals in the game . It is not that he can’t it is that he doesn’t.

azabob
25-07-2022, 09:10 AM
To my eye JJ was poor.

It is interesting.

He is playing a hard position of small forward. On Saturday he was swung back when Treloar went off.

Not sure if McNeil is ahead of JJ just yet.

Bullies
25-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Check the stats from the Footscray game yesterday and let me know if you’re still happy with this call. At the moment I would prefer Sweet getting 25 tap outs and no p's to Bruce getting 1 tap out and no p's. At least you know with Sweet his taps give us first use and with Stanley a chance to be out it is a great opportunity to get first use in the middle. At the moment Bruce seems to be in the team to celebrate our goals. I'm sure Sweet could take on that role as well.

Grantysghost
25-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Why is he removed from the game so much? Genuine question.

He doesn’t ask to go to the bench. He is benched before he can build any momentum and integrate into the game flow. It is a preplanned game strategy.

In both 2021 and 2022 Sweet has played 80+% game time and had more than a dozen disposals in the game . It is not that he can’t it is that he doesn’t.

My guess is Bevo doesn't think he can contribute well enough on turnover. He's big on that, mentioned it in regard to Martin last year when he had just returned from injury.

Mantis
25-07-2022, 10:13 AM
At the moment I would prefer Sweet getting 25 tap outs and no p's to Bruce getting 1 tap out and no p's. At least you know with Sweet his taps give us first use and with Stanley a chance to be out it is a great opportunity to get first use in the middle. At the moment Bruce seems to be in the team to celebrate our goals. I'm sure Sweet could take on that role as well.

I have made it clear I would be omitting Bruce from this week's team as he isn't ready physically to contribute... however I don't see Sweet as the likely replacement as he will only get 20-25min of ruck time as English is far too valuable to us as an around the ground follower to be sitting in the FP whilst Sweet rucks and Sweet offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

As I've mentioned I'd be playing Darcy or even Schache who are better suited to the 2nd ruck role as they have natural forward instincts... but maybe that's just me.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 10:20 AM
I’d love to see this too. But as I say Martin looked pretty good around the ground yesterday.
I tried to watch some of the Footscray game on my phone. I couldn’t figure out what Schache was doing. He seemed to be attending ruck contests as a tagger, doing it when both Martin and Sweet were doing the ruck work. Am I correct with this or do I need a bigger phone?

Topdog
25-07-2022, 10:36 AM
At the moment I would prefer Sweet getting 25 tap outs and no p's to Bruce getting 1 tap out and no p's. At least you know with Sweet his taps give us first use and with Stanley a chance to be out it is a great opportunity to get first use in the middle. At the moment Bruce seems to be in the team to celebrate our goals. I'm sure Sweet could take on that role as well.

I'd probably prefer that too but in reality Bevo isnt going to play Sweet in the ruck for that long and is looking for a 2nd fiddle ruck.

Bruce was literally non existent on Saturday night and it often felt that we were playing a man down. He also played as the 2nd ruck which Bevo called out wouldnt happen anytime soon so who knows what is going on.

I cant see them dropping Bruce this week.

GVGjr
25-07-2022, 10:49 AM
I tried to watch some of the Footscray game on my phone. I couldn’t figure out what Schache was doing. He seemed to be attending ruck contests as a tagger, doing it when both Martin and Sweet were doing the ruck work. Am I correct with this or do I need a bigger phone?

I think at times we tried to play him as a midfielder. It was confusing how we used him.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 11:06 AM
I think at times we tried to play him as a midfielder. It was confusing how we used him.
Thanks, so I will keep the old phone.

Grantysghost
25-07-2022, 11:30 AM
I'd probably prefer that too but in reality Bevo isnt going to play Sweet in the ruck for that long and is looking for a 2nd fiddle ruck.

Bruce was literally non existent on Saturday night and it often felt that we were playing a man down. He also played as the 2nd ruck which Bevo called out wouldnt happen anytime soon so who knows what is going on.

I cant see them dropping Bruce this week.

The only thing working in Bruce's favour is he's actually running really well.

He's covering the ground quite ok.

On a similar note I see Gardner covered the second most k's in the game (only behind Langdon) 15k (equal with Bont).
Hannan was 3rd for sprints for the game.

GVGjr
25-07-2022, 12:08 PM
Who's in the mix to come in this week?

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Daniel, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 12:16 PM
I have made it clear I would be omitting Bruce from this week's team as he isn't ready physically to contribute... however I don't see Sweet as the likely replacement as he will only get 20-25min of ruck time as English is far too valuable to us as an around the ground follower to be sitting in the FP whilst Sweet rucks and Sweet offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

As I've mentioned I'd be playing Darcy or even Schache who are better suited to the 2nd ruck role as they have natural forward instincts... but maybe that's just me.

No me too. But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week....unless injured.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 12:20 PM

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Dale, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?

He is in G.

GVGjr
25-07-2022, 12:27 PM
He is in G.

I'll fix it, I meant Daniel :)

Danjul
25-07-2022, 12:42 PM
No me too. But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week....unless injured.
But why?

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 12:47 PM
But why?

Because it is not up to us but the MC that is why.

Bullies
25-07-2022, 01:00 PM
The only thing working in Bruce's favour is he's actually running really well.

He's covering the ground quite ok.

On a similar note I see Gardner covered the second most k's in the game (only behind Langdon) 15k (equal with Bont).
Hannan was 3rd for sprints for the game. Josh Bruce - the one who is struggling to make a contest and make no impact when he does. Can't agree with you on that one.

GVGjr
25-07-2022, 01:12 PM
But why?

I thought in 2020 we played him regardless of his form was because it would have been very difficult to explain why a big name player was dropped. I'm not sure that is still the case now but clearly some players really need to convince the selectors they should be dropped. With us Bruce probably falls into that category.
I don't expect him to be dropped but based on his two games so far he has been a liability. If we were to lose closely against Geelong this week and Bruce didn't perform again he might come under more scrutiny.

I'd give him a week at Footscray. I realise he is a very important player for us if we are to make the finals and if we were two games clear at the top of the ladder we should stick with him but we need to win 3 of the next 4 games and he isn't contributing.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 01:34 PM
I thought in 2020 we played him regardless of his form was because it would have been very difficult to explain why a big name player was dropped. I'm not sure that is still the case now but clearly some players really need to convince the selectors they should be dropped. With us Bruce probably falls into that category.
I don't expect him to be dropped but based on his two games so far he has been a liability. If we were to lose closely against Geelong this week and Bruce didn't perform again he might come under more scrutiny.

I'd give him a week at Footscray. I realise he is a very important player for us if we are to make the finals and if we were two games clear at the top of the ladder we should stick with him but we need to win 3 of the next 4 games and he isn't contributing.

So giving Bruce a chance to show something seems to be our number one priority. And let’s risk our chances of playing in finals.

On Friday, a stand out game by JUH saved us. In the last quarter he got 3 goals which cancelled out the fact that Bruce had his first and only kick for the night (despite having 80% game time).

2 possessions in 80% game time is the worst return from player selection in this century. Oh I forgot, Weightman’s 1.

What’s going on?

The selection committee is not putting our best team on the field. They seem to be gambling on getting the biggest ‘feel good’ outcome..

We frequently pay our dollars to see a champion team hobbled by diabolical selection. The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected.

hujsh
25-07-2022, 01:45 PM
So giving Bruce a chance to show something seems to be our number one priority. And let’s risk our chances of playing in finals.

On Friday, a stand out game by JUH saved us. In the last quarter he got 3 goals which cancelled out the fact that Bruce had his first and only kick for the night (despite having 80% game time).

2 possessions in 80% game time is the worst return from player selection in this century. Oh I forgot, Weightman’s 1.

What’s going on?

The selection committee is not putting our best team on the field. They seem to be gambling on getting the biggest ‘feel good’ outcome..

We frequently pay our dollars to see a champion team hobbled by diabolical selection. The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected.

Only you could witness the best H&A win we've had in years and conclude the AFL needs to intervene to remove the people who don't pick the team the way you would.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 02:13 PM
Only you could witness the best H&A win we've had in years and conclude the AFL needs to intervene to remove the people who don't pick the team the way you would.
Stick to the point.

Why is Bruce being selected and putting our ‘team’ success at risk.

Jamara’s brilliant game should not be used to cover up the selectors failures. That’s cowardly.

Explain what is happening by all means, I’m looking for explanation, but constantly attacking the messenger seems pretty weak.

My point:

Bruce was not ready to play AFL standard against the Saints ( 3 possessions) and the Demons (2 possessions).

As a result our quest for finals was put at risk.

Your response:

Great win.

adjudicator: ????

Mantis
25-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Stick to the point.

Jamara’s brilliant game should not be used to cover up the selectors failures. That’s cowardly.

Explain what is happening by all means, I’m looking for explanation, but constantly attacking the messenger seems pretty weak.

My point:

Bruce was not ready to play AFL standard against the Saints ( 3 possessions) and the Demons (2 possessions).

Your response:

Great win.

You're preaching to the wrong crowd here dude... go stand on a box in front of AFL house or Whitten Oval and demand a response.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Because it is not up to us but the MC that is why.
Your comment:
But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week

My comment: But why?

Your comment (above)

my new comment: you have given no indication of why the match committee should select him.

(I do think you are correct - but I want to know what will guide their decision

I hope that he kicks lots of goals - but that’s a different matter))

Danjul
25-07-2022, 02:27 PM
You're preaching to the wrong crowd here dude... go stand on a box in front of AFL house or Whitten Oval and demand a response.
Looks like I will have to. There’s no explanation to be had from ‘the crowd’

Rocco Jones
25-07-2022, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty much always with Mantis on team selection, idk what that says ha.

I don't mind Sweet but it's what best compliments the team. I have Sweet as a better individual player or whatever we want to go with at the moment than Schache and he is more senior footy ready than Sam Darcy but the spot is about complimenting English. As a R1, I am fine with Sweet and think we are actually in a good spot having him as R1 back up.

English seems to want the R1. Whatever he wants, I think he is best suited to a bit closer to a 50/50 split but I love what he does around the ground when in the ruck. It's very different to a forward role. I don't think he is suited to R2/fwd role which would be the only way to really fit Sweet in. If Sweet was a gun ruck, we make that compromise. But he isn't.

The role will be mainly forward. The possible options:
- Schache: can kick goals and be very neat forward but can be non-competitive. Probably the most suited to the role atm but trust in being competitive in such a tough game is low. Not going him for being soft etc, just loses confidence so quickly and badly
- Bruce: perfect for the role pre ACL and it was pleasing to see him even compete in the ruck after an ACL but he just isn't near it. I get why we are playing him but he just isn't doing nearly enough
- Sweet: he is getting opportunities out of the ruck in the VFL but contributes next to nothing at VFL level in the forward line. After all this, I would have him over Bruce as at least he offers something tangible.
- Sam Darcy. His game sense and ability to remain competitive whilst being moved around in the VFL is really impressive. I have faith in him not being overawed. My main doubt is whether it's best for his development.

I'd go with Sam but I get why we would leave it to next year. There's no real great/easy option.

Grantysghost
25-07-2022, 02:35 PM
Looks like I will have to. There’s no explanation to be had from ‘the crowd’

I would say if you look at capability as a spectrum, Bruce has a lot of room to scale up to his best.

So a 70 percent Bruce getting game time towards 80, 90, 100 percent and his full capacity (which is better than his replacements) must be more appealing.

Not saying that's right, but that's my gut feel as to the "why".

I'd think he needs to get up to 90 in the twos personally then come in but they've gone a different way.

He does seem to have a bit of a team lifting/leadership affect but I'm not sure if that comes into calculation

hujsh
25-07-2022, 03:34 PM
Stick to the point.

My point:

Your response:

Great win.

Oh I am sticking to the point. Not quite as much as you who seems to stick to the same 2-3 points but nevertheless.

When Sweet plays and gets 7 hit outs and 3 disposals (I'm not looking up the exact stats I don't care that much) the only issue for you is he didn't get enough time on ground but clearly he's working as part of team structure because clearances. The team can only fail Sweet. But Bruce plays and contributes sweet FA on the stat sheet and the best argument for him playing is that Jamarra got free and its "The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected." It's a double standard. You'll probably say in response "it's actually the selectors with a double standard because Schache got these stats and was dropped" but that's the selectors failing to follow your rules, not their own.

There is no movement here strongly supporting Bruce's spot in the team. If he gets dropped there might be some surprise but likely zero outrage. You are the one who after a fun, hope inspiring win, is still calling for heads to roll. We get it. You'd pick the team by looking at the stats each week (unless it's Sweet). We'd all also love more insight into who gets picked and why. Clearly Bruce is not ready for AFL if he's being out bodied by... was it Salem? Yet from a team perspective we kicked over 100 points against probably still the best team defence in the league. Does that not suggest something is working at least? Do we really think these people who see Bruce 5-6 times a week don't know what condition he is in? Do you actually, honestly think something nefarious is happening at team selection? For what purpose?

We all share the confusion around Bruce. There are a number of great points and suggestions about how to fill his role and what the reason might be for his section. You just go a step too far and it's weird that you've escalated after a win. Do you not see that? Then there's the fact you've said I'm "weak" for "attacking the messenger". Did you notice I had nothing to say to Mantis? He wants Bruce out for Darcy. He gave fair reasons for his preference and honestly it's hard to argue with them. Yet for some reason the message is only attackable when you're the messenger? Why would that be I wonder?

There are people here who value what you contribute to the forum Danjul. I say that because I've seen people write that in response to you in the past. You provide a different perspective even if a lot of us don't agree with the way you choose to evaluate certain players. But you do yourself a disservice at times with how you put your point across. People will have something to say when you call for a Royal Commission into Selection Integrity and saying their response to that laughable suggestion makes them weak will only hurt your own credibility.

Enjoy the win, unless being vindicated is more important to you than the result, because unless there's another finals miracle it may just be the best we see all year.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2022, 03:38 PM
Josh Bruce - the one who is struggling to make a contest and make no impact when he does. Can't agree with you on that one.

Bruce himself said he is rusty but he is happy with the fitness of his legs.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2022, 03:40 PM

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Daniel, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?

You would think minimal change courtesy of the win.
My ego is not sufficient to challenge the MC nor do I ever feel inclined. Daniel if ready is a must so maybe Truck or McNeil out.
I accept Bruce may or may not play. I would consider him playing back to defend the airways v Cameron and Hawkins.

Topdog
25-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Your comment:

Your comment (above)

my new comment: you have given no indication of why the match committee should select him.

You didnt do yourself any favours initially with the extreme sidetracking that you did referencing collusion to lose games.

Having said that why will we pick him? What guides the MC?

I would say we will continue to pick him because they believe that having Bruce in the side straightens us up and gives Marra a bit more freedom from the opposition defence.

I'm not entirely convinced of the decision to play him and do believe he came back too early.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 04:37 PM
Your comment:

Your comment (above)

If I knew that I would have to get into the minds of the MC. I have a lot of gifts but that is not one of them. Wish it was though.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 05:11 PM
If I knew that I would have to get into the minds of the MC. I have a lot of gifts but that is not one of them. Wish it was though.
We seem similar there. Except I missed out on the gifts.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 05:24 PM
You didnt do yourself any favours initially with the extreme sidetracking that you did referencing collusion to lose games.

Having said that why will we pick him? What guides the MC?

I would say we will continue to pick him because they believe that having Bruce in the side straightens us up and gives Marra a bit more freedom from the opposition defence.

I'm not entirely convinced of the decision to play him and do believe he came back too early.
Fair enough. Others think that too so it might well be correct.

Personally, I can’t get to that stage. I think the team is strong enough to carry him for a while so I hope he comes good. A few goals this week would be a welcome sign.

(I didn’t refer to collusion to lose games. But I believe I can see evidence of not fielding the best possible team at all times. And that idea is shared by other members - or should I say some ‘ex members’.)

bornadog
25-07-2022, 05:24 PM
Unless Treloar doesn’t come up then no change

Danjul
25-07-2022, 05:35 PM
I would say if you look at capability as a spectrum, Bruce has a lot of room to scale up to his best.

So a 70 percent Bruce getting game time towards 80, 90, 100 percent and his full capacity (which is better than his replacements) must be more appealing.

Not saying that's right, but that's my gut feel as to the "why".

I'd think he needs to get up to 90 in the twos personally then come in but they've gone a different way.

He does seem to have a bit of a team lifting/leadership affect but I'm not sure if that comes into calculation

you have probably nailed it.

Danjul
25-07-2022, 06:01 PM
Oh I am sticking to the point. Not quite as much as you who seems to stick to the same 2-3 points but nevertheless.

When Sweet plays and gets 7 hit outs and 3 disposals (I'm not looking up the exact stats I don't care that much) the only issue for you is he didn't get enough time on ground but clearly he's working as part of team structure because clearances. The team can only fail Sweet. But Bruce plays and contributes sweet FA on the stat sheet and the best argument for him playing is that Jamarra got free and its "The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected." It's a double standard. You'll probably say in response "it's actually the selectors with a double standard because Schache got these stats and was dropped" but that's the selectors failing to follow your rules, not their own.

There is no movement here strongly supporting Bruce's spot in the team. If he gets dropped there might be some surprise but likely zero outrage. You are the one who after a fun, hope inspiring win, is still calling for heads to roll. We get it. You'd pick the team by looking at the stats each week (unless it's Sweet). We'd all also love more insight into who gets picked and why. Clearly Bruce is not ready for AFL if he's being out bodied by... was it Salem? Yet from a team perspective we kicked over 100 points against probably still the best team defence in the league. Does that not suggest something is working at least? Do we really think these people who see Bruce 5-6 times a week don't know what condition he is in? Do you actually, honestly think something nefarious is happening at team selection? For what purpose?

We all share the confusion around Bruce. There are a number of great points and suggestions about how to fill his role and what the reason might be for his section. You just go a step too far and it's weird that you've escalated after a win. Do you not see that? Then there's the fact you've said I'm "weak" for "attacking the messenger". Did you notice I had nothing to say to Mantis? He wants Bruce out for Darcy. He gave fair reasons for his preference and honestly it's hard to argue with them. Yet for some reason the message is only attackable when you're the messenger? Why would that be I wonder?

There are people here who value what you contribute to the forum Danjul. I say that because I've seen people write that in response to you in the past. You provide a different perspective even if a lot of us don't agree with the way you choose to evaluate certain players. But you do yourself a disservice at times with how you put your point across. People will have something to say when you call for a Royal Commission into Selection Integrity and saying their response to that laughable suggestion makes them weak will only hurt your own credibility.

Enjoy the win, unless being vindicated is more important to you than the result, because unless there's another finals miracle it may just be the best we see all year.
All reasonable comments.

I don’t believe we have reliably fielded our best team. That’s my opinion. I think it explains some unexpected losses when we have a remarkable playing group . But it’s not widely shared.

I do believe we have had some remarkable wins. And I enjoy them. I would not pay to sit in the cold and hope to see one otherwise.

These are two separate things. Or at least to me. Or should I say only to me. Both are relevant to how I see games, because I don’t believe in miracles.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 06:04 PM
All reasonable comments.

I don’t believe we have reliably fielded our best team. That’s my opinion. I think it explains some unexpected losses when we have a remarkable playing group . But it’s not widely shared.

I do believe we have had some remarkable wins. And I enjoy them. I would not pay to sit in the cold and hope to see one otherwise.

These are two separate things. Or at least to me. Or should I say only to me. Both are relevant to how I see games, because I don’t believe in miracles.

After 2016 I do.:)

Dry Rot
25-07-2022, 07:30 PM
News from the Cats

Big Cat sidelined for up to a month, scans confirm damage
Rhys Stanley has suffered minor cartilage damage and bone bruising to his knee

https://www.afl.com.au/news/806981/big-cat-sidelined-for-up-to-a-month-scans-confirm-damage

bornadog
25-07-2022, 08:14 PM
News from the Cats

Big Cat sidelined for up to a month, scans confirm damage
Rhys Stanley has suffered minor cartilage damage and bone bruising to his knee

https://www.afl.com.au/news/806981/big-cat-sidelined-for-up-to-a-month-scans-confirm-damage
One down 21 to go

kruder
25-07-2022, 09:32 PM
Bruce will play but Darcy is bloody close. That kid is well ahead of JUH at the same stage.

Mofra
25-07-2022, 11:18 PM
Bruce will play but Darcy is bloody close. That kid is well ahead of JUH at the same stage.
I'm not sure he's quite up to the pace yet, despite showing really good signs.
I'm expecting either Daniel/Duryea to come in for Treloar (depends who tests best).

Wouldn't be surprised if McComb goes back to Footscray and McLean is the medi-sub

Not expecting Hunter to play.

1eyedog
25-07-2022, 11:40 PM
Daniel in, McNeil or JJ to sub.

boydogs
26-07-2022, 12:46 AM
We've been struggling against small-mid forwards since Daniel & Duryea left the side, I think they both have to come back hearing they're available now

I'm liking Khamis as a 3rd tall back there given Keath limping around, maybe Hannan and Treloar move up the ground

FrediKanoute
26-07-2022, 01:04 AM
Leave Bruce where he is. A 3 pronged attack, even with the Juice on one leg works much better and opens up space for all the forwards to work in. He is a smart footballer and having him tell JUH where and when to go will be invaluable. Also notice alst week that Bruce and NAught's were the decoys, defensive forwards.

If Treloar is not right then I think you bring in either Hunter or Cleary. Hunter is if you want to move JJ back to half back; Cleary if you want a tall running defender.

jeemak
26-07-2022, 02:57 AM
Fair enough. Others think that too so it might well be correct.

Personally, I can’t get to that stage. I think the team is strong enough to carry him for a while so I hope he comes good. A few goals this week would be a welcome sign.

(I didn’t refer to collusion to lose games. But I believe I can see evidence of not fielding the best possible team at all times. And that idea is shared by other members - or should I say some ‘ex members’.)

PROOF! They've left in disgust, or some other type of misguided and personal reason.........

jeemak
26-07-2022, 03:01 AM
I'm putting Schache in for Bruce. The latter gets a week to go back and get a bit of footy in his hands, the former gets his chance to prove he is what we need alongside Naughton and JUH, whilst also being versatile as a ruck and defender if needed.

If Treloar is out then I don't really know what to do because he has been awesome this year. He was immense Saturday night, and has shown he can play wherever we want him to.

Maybe it's just as simple as

In - Schache, Daniel
Out - Bruce, Treloar

NB - if Duryea is good to go then I think with his body he comes through the twos. That's just me, we have time up our sleeve.

azabob
26-07-2022, 08:27 AM
We've been struggling against small-mid forwards since Daniel & Duryea left the side, I think they both have to come back hearing they're available now

I'm liking Khamis as a 3rd tall back there given Keath limping around, maybe Hannan and Treloar move up the ground

So boydogs you've done the old trick of bringing two players in but not dropping anyone!

mjp
26-07-2022, 02:23 PM
So boydogs you've done the old trick of bringing two players in but not dropping anyone!

That's how most media outlets do it!

Does anyone know if Stewart is playing for the Cats?

Stanley is out right? Does that mean Ceglar plays or will they just play the kid (Neale)?

The Underdog
26-07-2022, 02:24 PM

Stanley is out right? Does that mean Ceglar plays or will they just play the kid (Neale)?

Pretty sure Stewart's suspension ended after last round, so he'll be back to gather 25 intercept marks.

GVGjr
26-07-2022, 02:40 PM

Stewart is back from all accounts and I think Stanley will miss. I wonder if they'll go with Blicavs and support from Hawkins for the ruck.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2022, 02:42 PM
Stewart is back from all accounts and I think Stanley will miss. I wonder if they'll go with Blicavs and support from Hawkins for the ruck.

They've got Ceglar after a few games the VFL too.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2022, 02:46 PM

Plus Esava Ratugolea is right to go too. Plenty to choose from.

Mantis
26-07-2022, 03:07 PM

I reckon they'll stick with Blicavs as a midfielder and he'll follow Bont around.

As B4L mentioned Ceglar has had a few games back and I think he's the obvious replacement for Stanley.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-07-2022, 03:27 PM
C'mon Daniel has to come in surely if fit.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2022, 03:37 PM
C'mon Daniel has to come in surely if fit.

I would think so too BID.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Daniel should play if fit as his ability to use the ball so effectively is as good as we have.
The big concern previously against Geelong was the lack of accountability in matching up with players like Cameron and Stewart who were given far too much space and latitude. I doubt whether Bevo will leave out Bruce after two ordinary games.
A lot of pressure again on English to continue as our sole ruck man. The idea of having our key forwards in Naughton and Bruce is placing too much expectation on their forward roles. Williams may well need to be matched up on Smith to limit his influence.
I hope Treloar is fit to play as his pace is important to assist our midfield which holds the key to winning at Geelong which will prove to be our most important success this year.

boydogs
27-07-2022, 02:18 AM

Williams & JJ maybe

Mantis
27-07-2022, 09:40 AM
Daniel should play if fit as his ability to use the ball so effectively is as good as we have.
The big concern previously against Geelong was the lack of accountability in matching up with players like Cameron and Stewart who were given far too much space and latitude. I doubt whether Bevo will leave out Bruce after two ordinary games.
A lot of pressure again on English to continue as our sole ruck man. The idea of having our key forwards in Naughton and Bruce is placing too much expectation on their forward roles. Williams may well need to be matched up on Smith to limit his influence.
I hope Treloar is fit to play as his pace is important to assist our midfield which holds the key to winning at Geelong which will prove to be our most important success this year.

Can you please expand on what you mean with this statement?

Bulldog4life
27-07-2022, 11:32 AM

Best in the league in the stats David King had.

Bullies
27-07-2022, 03:32 PM
Best in the league in the stats David King had. I've liked the drive Treloar has given of half back. I wold be happy to see Daniel up forward causing havoc. He reads the ball so well and his finishes are first class. Mix it up and Geelong wont expect it.

MrMahatma
27-07-2022, 05:28 PM
I've liked the drive Treloar has given of half back. I wold be happy to see Daniel up forward causing havoc. He reads the ball so well and his finishes are first class. Mix it up and Geelong wont expect it.

I think for the past few years our biggest issues have been the ball coming in clean to the fwd line (lots of inside 50s and not proportionately enough shots) and shot accuracy (too many points). This year D50 entries turning into scores is our biggest issue.

I guess we should put the best players in the best spots to help/change those areas of concern. I'd say Daniel is best served delivering into F50 rather than receiving. He's a smart defender also. I'd keep him half back and push Treloar to wing. It's probably McNeil or Hannan who make way. I liked what both brought last week in parts but also haven't focussed on them too much to know if they're doing some parts well and others poorly.

I think Truck stays in and starts to become a bit more of a defensive wing/run with guy. Kept Landon to 13 on the weekend, when he'd had 24 and 21 in previous weeks.

Bullies
28-07-2022, 09:12 AM
I think for the past few years our biggest issues have been the ball coming in clean to the fwd line (lots of inside 50s and not proportionately enough shots) and shot accuracy (too many points). This year D50 entries turning into scores is our biggest issue.

I guess we should put the best players in the best spots to help/change those areas of concern. I'd say Daniel is best served delivering into F50 rather than receiving. He's a smart defender also. I'd keep him half back and push Treloar to wing. It's probably McNeil or Hannan who make way. I liked what both brought last week in parts but also haven't focussed on them too much to know if they're doing some parts well and others poorly.

I think Truck stays in and starts to become a bit more of a defensive wing/run with guy. Kept Landon to 13 on the weekend, when he'd had 24 and 21 in previous weeks. It also why we need Scott on one of the wings as he sets up most of our goals with his ball use.

The Underdog
28-07-2022, 10:06 AM

I think Truck stays in and starts to become a bit more of a defensive wing/run with guy. Kept Landon to 13 on the weekend, when he'd had 24 and 21 in previous weeks.

You couldn't drop Williams on last weeks form. If not his best game of the year, it was close. Langdon has killed us in the past.
Changes this week are definitely heavily dependent on the fitness of Treloar, Daniel & Scott. First 2 are easily first 22, but thought McNeil, Williams, Garcia and Hannan were good enough to hold their spots. Maybe Hannan gives way in that scenario, but his ability in the air could be helpful against the Cats.
The Bruce debate is a valid one, but I'd be surprised if they did a Bruce for Sweet swap or even Martin. Just doesn't seem to be the route they want to go down. Schache in to play a defensive forward game on Stewart, a la Allir in the Prelim last year?

Mantis
28-07-2022, 12:33 PM
From twitter:

Caleb Daniel & Adam Treloar are training today and are expected to play against Geelong.

Axe Man
28-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Bulldogs set to bolster backline (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1183007/bulldogs-set-to-bolster-backline?fbclid=IwAR3C9aXb6Wv1NcfxtumZT0jLqX-2pKlNmLabIgrjUNnf1OlCRJMm3ymomk0)

The Western Bulldogs could bolster their defensive stocks for Saturday night’s clash against Geelong, with All Australian Caleb Daniel a chance to return to the line-up.

Coach Luke Beveridge indicated Daniel should return to availability following Thursday’s training session, alongside Adam Treloar who was subbed off early in the fourth quarter of last weekend’s win.

“(Caleb) should be available. He’ll train today, but we anticipate he’ll be fine and will head down the highway to play the Cats,” Beveridge told media.

“We think (Adam) will be okay. Again, he’ll train and if there’s any doubt at all we won’t play him, but we think he’ll be fine.”

With Treloar enjoying more time in the backline to help offset the loss of Daniel, Beveridge said he was yet to determine whether Treloar would return to a full-time midfield role.

“It creates a healthy headache for us – our midfield depth has been there for a while, and to now have some depth across that half-back area is good for us,” he said.

“We’ll work through it. The important thing is that they play the phases well together, in whatever roles they are in.

“We have to land that in the right place.”

Beveridge was also pleased with the way Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan gelled against Melbourne.

“Obviously ‘Marra got the lick of the ice-cream and really stood out as far as hitting the scoreboard,” Beveridge said.

“The other two lads will come into this game wanting more – they probably didn’t achieve what they set out to achieve last week.

“That’s encouraging for us - to kick 110 points with Brucey and even Naughts not being at their absolute best.

“’Marra probably benefitted from what those boys were doing and how hard they worked to get to the areas they were putting themselves in, and also their encouragement and direction.

“That’s not taking away from how impactful ‘Marra was in his own domain, but they’ll help each other. It’ll hopefully make our forward-line a little bit harder to play against.”

The Bulldogs will confirm their round 20 team at 6.20pm AEST tonight.

Rocco Jones
28-07-2022, 01:18 PM
From twitter:

Caleb Daniel & Adam Treloar are training today and are expected to play against Geelong.

Lovely.

I think Bevo/MC will just go with Caleb for McNeil, who becomes sub.

Grantysghost
28-07-2022, 01:20 PM
Lovely.

I think Bevo/MC will just go with Caleb for McNeil, who becomes sub.

Surely you jest.

azabob
28-07-2022, 07:22 PM
Cleary saying Keath dropped

Sedat
28-07-2022, 07:23 PM
Keath omitted. Wowsers.

whythelongface
28-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Interesting selection Cordy in for Keath

What does that say about Keath?

azabob
Geelong v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 29 July, 7.25pm AEST
GMHBA Stadium

B: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis
HB: Mitch Hannan, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale
C: Ed Richards, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Jason Johanissen, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
Int: Rhylee West, Robbie McComb, Caleb Daniel, Riley Garcia
Emer: Stefan Martin, Lachlan McNeil, Luke Cleary, Alex Keath

In: Robbie McComb, Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy
Out: Adam Treloar (calf), Alex Keath (omitted), Lachlan McNeil (omitted)

EasternWest
interesting selection cordy in for keath

wtf.

azabob
28-07-2022, 07:25 PM
McComb, why o why.

Mantis
28-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Cordy & McComb in... Bevo, you're the gift that keeps on giving.

FMD!

G-Mo77
28-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Is it April fools day?

kruder
28-07-2022, 07:31 PM
Zaine has had his best two games of the year at VFL level. I like Keath on Hawkins though but he has had an average year like a few of his teammates.

GVGjr
28-07-2022, 07:32 PM
Interesting selection Cordy in for Keath

What does that say about Keath?

Clearly says he is struggling. Cordy given a chance ahead of O'Brien is another message.
Great to have Daniel back.

The bulldog tragician
28-07-2022, 07:33 PM
Keath has been disappointing..but … Bevo, what the hell?

We will never understand. But if this lineup succeeds it will be his greatest coaching masterstroke.

FrediKanoute
28-07-2022, 07:35 PM
O'Brien is a bust - needs to get fitter like Bruce otherwise he is gone.

Keath out is a surprise.....omitted....

Think McNeil going out is harsh on the kid. He was good against the Dees and not convinced McComb is the answer.

azabob
28-07-2022, 07:44 PM
I don’t know how so don’t ask me, wonder if Cordy for Keath is game plan related?
Keath has seemed to struggle physically for 12 months and maybe he can no longer fill the role we need him to on Saturday night?

angelopetraglia
28-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Keath has been disappointing back season. No where near his elite defending and marking from last year after an injury interrupted start. I’m not sure if Cordy gives you more … but it can’t be that much worse.

Happy Days
28-07-2022, 07:47 PM
Man Bevo makes it really hard sometimes. Those changes are horrible.

ratsmac
28-07-2022, 07:49 PM
Has Bevo conceded defeat already. I know Keath has been off form wise but surely he's better than the alternative. And McComb over McNeil after McNeil played his part in last week's win is really puzzling. It must be match ups.

I'd love to get a look at each players KPI's that the coaching staff rate their game by. It must tell a different story to what we notice during a game.

comrade
28-07-2022, 07:51 PM
I’m fine, this is fine.

GVGjr
28-07-2022, 07:54 PM
This is the first time Keath has been dropped with us despite his poor form this season so it's curious why it's against Geelong.
Lets hope a week at Footscray gets him prepared for the balance of the season.

Bullies
28-07-2022, 07:55 PM
McComb -I don't get it. Would rather play one short. His experiment with McComb has failed. Move on.

McNeill was up and about last week with his defensive efforts and keeping the ball in the forward line.

azabob
28-07-2022, 07:57 PM
Emergency list is also bizarre - Martin and Keath. With Cleary and McNeil

Surely McNeil is the sub?

Sedat
28-07-2022, 08:00 PM
More annoyed at McNeil being omitted than Keath. We just look better balanced in the front half with him in there pressuring the opposition rebounders.

Keath has been playing like a busted and is a horrible match-up, on current form, for either of Hawkins and Cameron. If Cordy has been in good form at Footscray, he deserves a shot.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-07-2022, 08:16 PM
Keith appears to be not right. I bet it’s more he can’t play than he is out of form

Also think that the Cordy in is not bad. Sends a message to others but also he will come out breathing fire and wanting to show that he still has it. Anyway with our midfield running into form now the back six will have a easy night

Go Dogs!

MrMahatma
28-07-2022, 08:27 PM
So Cordy on Cameron?

We need a supreme midfield domination!

whythelongface
28-07-2022, 08:36 PM
So Cordy on Cameron?

We need a supreme midfield domination!

Probably. At least he can keep up with him. No disrespect to Zaine but this probably shows where our key defensive stocks are at right now. We really need to dominate the midfield.

Grantysghost
28-07-2022, 08:37 PM
Interesting they dropped McNeil for the shorter McComb.

Wonder if there's a specific role in mind.

Mantis
28-07-2022, 08:37 PM
Keath has been playing like a busted and is a horrible match-up, on current form, for either of Hawkins and Cameron. If Cordy has been in good form at Footscray, he deserves a shot.

Cordy hasn’t played a game for the senior team as a defender all season, but is given a run against the best key forward combo in the competition.

Not asking much of him are we?

whythelongface
28-07-2022, 08:39 PM
Keith appears to be not right. I bet it’s more he can’t play than he is out of form

Also think that the Cordy in is not bad. Sends a message to others but also he will come out breathing fire and wanting to show that he still has it. Anyway with our midfield running into form now the back six will have a easy night

Go Dogs!

I really hope our mids are up for the battle. If we aren’t switched on from the get go then we will really struggle. But this is a real backs against the wall scenario and generally the type of environment we thrive in, thus do expect us to give a really good showing.

whythelongface
28-07-2022, 08:40 PM
Cordy hasn’t played a game for the senior team as a defender all season, but is given a run against the best key forward combo in the competition.

Pretty sure he was in defence earlier this year before being switched forward.

Scorlibo
28-07-2022, 08:43 PM
More annoyed at McNeil being omitted than Keath. We just look better balanced in the front half with him in there pressuring the opposition rebounders.

Ditto. Can only think that it must have been a plan for McNeil and McComb to alternate roles week to week (pressure forward / sub).

I reckon the Keath omission is more to do with Cordy's form than his own. Bevo was probably waiting for either O'Brien or Cordy to put their hand up, and Zaine was close to our best in the VFL on the weekend. Hopefully Keath can find some form at the lower level to return with some confidence going into finals.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-07-2022, 08:44 PM
I really hope our mids are up for the battle. If we aren’t switched on from the get go then we will really struggle. But this is a real backs against the wall scenario and generally the type of environment we thrive in, thus do expect us to give a really good showing.

Has a Bevo Special all over it.

Testekill
28-07-2022, 08:45 PM
Cordy has been playing really well in the VFL and Keath has been pretty awful so happy with that change.

Don't like McComb for McNeil, McNeil was one of a handful of players actually coping with the pressure early on last week and his forward pressure was great. McComb did play well when he came on but McNeil shouldn't be out.

josie
28-07-2022, 08:47 PM
Maclean has been good in vfl for 3 matches now. I’d prefer Tobes over McComb however it is what it is. Hope Robbie does really well and proves us wrong.

I feel sad for Schache. Hope he gets another chance before end of season.

hujsh
28-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure he was in defence earlier this year before being switched forward.

Nah he was even training as a forward pre season. Was always looking set for the role of our second ruck for the first part of the year

The Adelaide Connection
28-07-2022, 09:01 PM
I suspect the pissed off PE teacher needs a week off. Has looked like a battered unit in the last few weeks- very ginger and slow to get himself off the ground on at least half a dozen occasions.

Hopefully English can get a hold Ceglar and *hopefully* we make Stewart accountable. Our forward line could be a real problem to them.

DOG GOD
28-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Lol

Cordy in just shows how absolutely putrid our KPD ranks are, and if nothing is done for next year then heads need to roll.
I’m lost for words, but then I’m not.

Farcical.

Cameron and Hawkins will be licking their lips.

Oh and McComb ? FFS

Sedat
28-07-2022, 09:20 PM

Both options are not great, but I'd rather go with the player the MC think can better run the ground and get from contest to contest - Keath just doesn't look right physically and will get destroyed by Hawkins (Cordy probably will too, sigh). We'll need Khamis and Hannan to peel off and chop out, which exposes us to crabs like Rohan getting off the chain. Gardner matches up well on Cameron physically but he doesn't have the smarts. Then there's Dangerfield to take care of, and their 2 smalls Close and Stengle are in white hot form. It's a deadly F50 line-up they have at the moment.

DOG GOD
28-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Both options are not great, but I'd rather go with the player in better form who can more effectively run the ground and get from contest to contest - Keath just doesn't look right physically and will get destroyed by Hawkins (Cordy probably will too, sigh). We'll need Khamis and Hannan to peel off and chop out, which exposes us to crabs like Rohan getting off the chain. Gardner matches up well on Cameron physically but he doesn't have the smarts. Then there's Dangerfield to take care of, and their 2 smalls Close and Stengle are in whote hot form. It's a deadly F50 line-up they have at the moment.

If Geel win the midfield they’ll kick 20 goals.

Sedat
28-07-2022, 09:24 PM
If Geel win the midfield they’ll kick 20 goals.
What's the weather forecast? It's rubbish in Melbourne tonight, so if there's more rain tomorrow it mitigates their aerial advantage somewhat.

DOG GOD
28-07-2022, 09:25 PM
What's the weather forecast? It's rubbish in Melbourne tonight, so if there's more rain tomorrow it mitigates their aerial advantage somewhat.

It needs to be Torrential ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
28-07-2022, 09:27 PM
Cordy has balls so does Cameron, and kicked our first goal in our premiership.

OK by me.
We live or die by these selections amongst other things.
Just do not kick it OOB on GMBHA narrow flank or give a free for lack of intent or POQ!

MrMahatma
28-07-2022, 09:30 PM

And what of our fwd line of Naughton, JUH and Bruce? And English around the ground.

I’m not sure cats have an aerial advantage. They do in their fwd line but we’re no mugs.

angelopetraglia
28-07-2022, 09:33 PM

Overnight low in Geelong of 1c. Morning frost. Light winds. 10% chance of rain on the surf coast early. Sounds like a still perfect winter night. It could be dewy.

At 8pm the prediction is for it to be 7c with 7km/h winds. So cold. Still. Perfect night for footy.

DOG GOD
28-07-2022, 09:34 PM
And what of our fwd line of Naughton, JUH and Bruce? And English around the ground.

I’m not sure cats have an aerial advantage. They do in their fwd line but we’re no mugs.

They’ve got Stewart. We don’t have anyone in that caliber unfortunately

Sedat
28-07-2022, 09:34 PM

Naughts is a competitive bugger and Bruce might go from 3 possessions to 2 as a result of the weather. JUH is quite nimble and looks like he can handle the slop. The rain also negates their rebound marking in D50, whereas we don't possess those weapons at the best of times. I reckon the rain helps us and plays to our strengths to keep it more of a ground ball game.

SlimPickens
28-07-2022, 09:38 PM
Keath has been going JUST, think it’s irrelevant if it’s him or Cordy. Both are/have been poor this year.

Game will be won in the midfield. English chopping out the defence will be crucial.

MrMahatma
28-07-2022, 09:40 PM
Gotta say, as I thought about changes this week, not a single time for even a millisecond did names Cordy or McComb enter my mind.

I reckon I could’ve run the full squad list and still not found a reason or way to get them in. This is intense.

jeemak
28-07-2022, 10:32 PM
Lol

Cordy in just shows how absolutely putrid our KPD ranks are, and if nothing is done for next year then heads need to roll.
I’m lost for words, but then I’m not.

Farcical.

Cameron and Hawkins will be licking their lips.

Oh and McComb ? FFS

We just beat Melbourne with Keath out of form.......and this is what you come up with?

Good to see you've shaken the COVID off and you're back to your regular self! :)

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2022, 11:28 PM
We all know I'm not a Cordy fan, but I agree with Sedat - Keath has been diabolical. I've watched him closely for a while and he's dreadful. It's one of the biggest falls from elite form I've ever seen. He was arguably the best defender in the league for most of last year, and he now rightfully has been dropped from a very undersized, ordinary back half. That speaks volumes. I hope our list management team take note and plan for 2023 without Keath.

Good luck to Cordy.

I wish Bevo would give up his McComb experiment but this is his typical see-it-through for the year case study.

Did TOB sign for 2 years? Hope it wasn't 3.

Good to see Daniel back.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-07-2022, 11:35 PM
They’ve got Stewart. We don’t have anyone in that caliber unfortunately

Dale recently rated in media as a better HBF than Stewart and others.

jeemak
28-07-2022, 11:47 PM
Let's spin the wheel and see how it goes I guess.

Disappointed McNeil is out, the play where he hit up Marra was enough to keep him in the side for mine. Smaller forwards don't get many opportunities to impact the game when the good sides are letting rip, and he took an opportunity to influence the contest when it was his turn so I'm disappointed for him.

Keath has been struggling and it's not going to hurt him dropping down and get a reality check. Hopefully it's not only his face that looks pissed off and he does something about it.

I wish Cordy well, to me he's more maligned than he needs to be and he can run all day which is what we lacked from our defenders last time we faced Geelong.

Rocco Jones
28-07-2022, 11:51 PM
Keath has been struggling and it's not going to hurt him dropping down and get a reality check. Hopefully it's not only his face that looks pissed off and he does something about it.

I don't believe it would be to give him a reality check. Keath seems to be as serious as it gets and pretty competitive. I think he is just really struggling and it's about getting the best 22.

jeemak
28-07-2022, 11:59 PM
I don't believe it would be to give him a reality check. Keath seems to be as serious as it gets and pretty competitive. I think he is just really struggling and it's about getting the best 22.

Possibly. Some of his defencive efforts have been poor and to me as much to do with a lack of concentration as much as physical inability to impact the game how he might like.

The fifty he gave away Saturday is a case in point. Unthinking and cost us a goal (and ultimately nothing like the JJ situation afterwards).

Happy Days
29-07-2022, 12:31 AM
Keath has had a really poor year but no way in hell is he, even in his current no knee joint having form, a worse option to defend Tom Hawkins than Zaine is.

jeemak
29-07-2022, 01:17 AM
Keath has had a really poor year but no way in hell is he, even in his current no knee joint having form, a worse option to defend Tom Hawkins than Zaine is.

Says you.

You only need to look at the last Geelong game to see that none of us have any real idea or can agree on who was on Hawkins and who was on Cameron. We play a team defence that didn't stand up last time. Perhaps this time it might with the personnel we have selected.

Dropping Keath wouldn't have been a decision made lightly. For whatever reason it's happened, but it wouldn't have been done just for shits and giggles.

dog town
29-07-2022, 05:34 AM
McComb over McNeil and Cordy over Keath is highly unlikely to be the gap in the game. The game last time swung each qtr with the contested ball numbers, we were smashed early then evened them up and our runners got on top. Late in the game Geelong got back on top around the ball. Need to beat them in the phone box and have a plan to avoid the interceptors, that’s the game in my view.

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball.

Bullies
29-07-2022, 09:13 AM
McComb over McNeil and Cordy over Keath is highly unlikely to be the gap in the game. The game last time swung each qtr with the contested ball numbers, we were smashed early then evened them up and our runners got on top. Late in the game Geelong got back on top around the ball. Need to beat them in the phone box and have a plan to avoid the interceptors, that’s the game in my view.

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball. I actually thought with getting back to a full list we would not see McComb again. How you can justify dropping McNeill after his effort last week. It is exactly what you need against the Geelong defence - defensive pressure. They will turn it over with pressure. If you let Bews and co run and carry they will cut you up but they are no good when going the other way.

McNeill is also very good with his skills and McComb is the opposite.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2022, 09:47 AM
I actually thought with getting back to a full list we would not see McComb again. How you can justify dropping McNeill after his effort last week. It is exactly what you need against the Geelong defence - defensive pressure. They will turn it over with pressure. If you let Bews and co run and carry they will cut you up but they are no good when going the other way.

McNeill is also very good with his skills and McComb is the opposite.

I am confident that they've not done it for shits and giggles.. They're not the changes that immediately sprang to my mind, but I am 100% sure the MC would've use hard data to support any proposed personnel changes. So I can accept that there is probably, in the MC's collective mind anyway, data that supports dropping McNeil.

Again McNeil was not one I thought would lose his spot. The onus is now on those selected to repay the MC's faith.

These are the sorts of calls though, if you win, no one lauds the changes.. but if you lose, your judgment gets questioned. Hard caper to be in.

Grantysghost
29-07-2022, 09:56 AM
I am confident that they've not done it for shits and giggles.. They're not the changes that immediately sprang to my mind, but I am 100% sure the MC would've use hard data to support any proposed personnel changes. So I can accept that there is probably, in the MC's collective mind anyway, data that supports dropping McNeil.

Again McNeil was not one I thought would lose his spot. The onus is now on those selected to repay the MC's faith.

These are the sorts of calls though, if you win, no one lauds the changes.. but if you lose, your judgment gets questioned. Hard caper to be in.

Its puzzling but must be matchup related?

McNeil had 18 pressure acts last week, more than double other small forwards.

I know I've got the running joke going with him, but this time I'm truly bewildered.

GVGjr
29-07-2022, 09:58 AM

I'm sure we would have done our analysis and think this is the best option to secure a win. These aren't huge changes but losing Treloar hurts so but Daniel back helps offset that. Lets back the MC

Keath makes it a big name as he has never been dropped by us before but that is about it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2022, 10:01 AM
Its puzzling but must be matchup related?

McNeil had 18 pressure acts last week, more than double other small forwards.

I know I've got the running joke going with him, but this time I'm truly bewildered.

I wonder if there was any data though going the other way, was he a contributor to a break down in zones at times? Was he getting into poor positions that broke play down? I have no idea, but given the positive contributions he made, that you've highlighted, I'm really intrigued as to what the critical factors might be for his demotion this week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-07-2022, 10:02 AM
The decision to play Zaine Cordy as a defender is long overdue given the fact that both O’Brien and Keath allowed Cameron too much space in our recent defeat to Geelong.
Cordy has proved his versatility in playing as a forward in our great win to take the 2016 flag and then to be used by Bevo on a number of occasions as a back up ruck man.
Like his Father, Brian, he is a competitive defender and will give his all.

Grantysghost
29-07-2022, 10:25 AM
I wonder if there was any data though going the other way, was he a contributor to a break down in zones at times? Was he getting into poor positions that broke play down? I have no idea, but given the positive contributions he made, that you've highlighted, I'm really intrigued as to what the critical factors might be for his demotion this week.

Yeah exactly its so scientific these days they can map the gps data to ball position etc so maybe there was an issue.

I'm actually warming to McComb I think he's ok.

Bulldog4life
29-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Overnight low in Geelong of 1c. Morning frost. Light winds. 10% chance of rain on the surf coast early. Sounds like a still perfect winter night. It could be dewy.

At 8pm the prediction is for it to be 7c with 7km/h winds. So cold. Still. Perfect night for footy.

Yep that's why I left Melbourne.:)

Bulldog4life
29-07-2022, 10:51 AM

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball.

Took the words right out of my mouth dog town. Not fussed with the changes. Happy Daniel is in so better team than last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2022, 10:59 AM
Surprised the love McNeil is getting.

Played ok last week with some defensive efforts, but typically offers little and doesn't impact. I'm fine with his omission, I just don't get the MC's obsession with McComb.

hujsh
29-07-2022, 11:01 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth dog town. Not fussed with the changes. Happy Daniel is in so better team than last week.

Treloar missing though. He has been good off half back

SlimPickens
29-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Yeah exactly its so scientific these days they can map the gps data to ball position etc so maybe there was an issue.

I'm actually warming to McComb I think he's ok.

He would have to be close to the worst kick I've ever seen in a bulldogs jumper.

Mantis
29-07-2022, 11:33 AM
The decision to play Zaine Cordy as a defender is long overdue given the fact that both O’Brien and Keath allowed Cameron too much space in our recent defeat to Geelong.
Cordy has proved his versatility in playing as a forward in our great win to take the 2016 flag and then to be used by Bevo on a number of occasions as a back up ruck man.
Like his Father, Brian, he is a competitive defender and will give his all.

I know you have a serious love affair with Cordy, but to say he's versatile by playing other roles is a fallacy. The GF was 6 years ago and since then when Zaine has been played in the forward & ruck role he's been extremely poor when doing so.... he was actually horrible in the GF, but hey, he's a premiership CHF.

He's a limited defender as he doesn't have the size & strength to play on bigger opponents or mobility for more agile players... but Bevo loves his ability to ''compete'' so here we are with him in again... hope he goes well.

bornadog
29-07-2022, 11:42 AM
He would have to be close to the worst kick I've ever seen in a bulldogs jumper.
His skills are awful. Not sure why he hasn’t made it back to VFL. He had been sub a few times but not dropped.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2022, 11:43 AM

Aside from the Dunkleys, I'm not sure I've seen a worse kick period.

bornadog
29-07-2022, 11:43 AM
I know you have a serious love affair with Cordy, but to say he's versatile by playing other roles is a fallacy. The GF was 6 years ago and since then when Zaine has been played in the forward & ruck role and has been extremely poor when doing so.

He's a limited defender as he doesn't have the size & strength to play on bigger opponents or mobility for more agile players... but Bevo loves his ability to ''compete'' so here we are with him in again... hope he goes well.

I presume he picks up Cameron.

Happy Days
29-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Says you.

You only need to look at the last Geelong game to see that none of us have any real idea or can agree on who was on Hawkins and who was on Cameron. We play a team defence that didn't stand up last time. Perhaps this time it might with the personnel we have selected.

Dropping Keath wouldn't have been a decision made lightly. For whatever reason it's happened, but it wouldn't have been done just for shits and giggles.

I know they wouldn't have made the decision without method, but I really thought the bold part was a huge issue last time and probably what ended up costing us the game. The team defence left way too many different guys isolated on Cameron when really we only have one guy (Gardner) with the athleticism and size to deal with him. I really think ensuring we have dedicated match ups will be of more benefit than an intricate switching system, Geelong are just too dangerous to allow for concentration lapses like we saw last time. We know Gards' GPS numbers are fantastic and he should be able to work up the ground when Cameron does within reason, rather than a hand off to a Williams type that won't work anyway and creates an extra decision.

As for the other guy, my main issue with Keath's season has been his mobility - he still can run quick-ish in a straight line but his lateral movement has regressed badly. If there is one superstar key forward who will not punish that too badly it's Hawkins, who is typically a one-on-one grappler relying on his physical strength and apparent sui generis interpretation of the in the back rule. Cordy might have a better shuttle run score but this is not the week for us to *!*!*!*! around and find out.

Anyway. I just learnt that apparently Sam Darcy was one day old last time we won down at Goomba Stadium. All personnel changes are moot, this is not an achievable task.

bornadog
29-07-2022, 11:46 AM
Aside from the Dunkleys, I'm not sure I've seen a worse kick period.

The actual ball leaves his boot beautifully but he can’t judge the distance and it either drops short or over the players head. Handballs are at players feet.

Sedat
29-07-2022, 11:46 AM
I presume he picks up Cameron.
Wouldn't Gardner be a better match-up for Cameron? He's an athletic beast who can blunt Cameron's athletic prowess. Maybe Buku could as well? But he is very green and might get torched early on.

We take our chances with Cordy on Hawkins, with ample 3rd man up support from Buku/Hannan and the defensive wings/mids to clog the space inside D50.

MrMahatma
29-07-2022, 12:18 PM
McComb going to run with someone? He's a bigger body and maybe that's the reason for the inclusion?

Mantis
29-07-2022, 12:56 PM
McComb going to run with someone? He's a bigger body and maybe that's the reason for the inclusion?

He hasn't played a run with role thus far so it would be a stretch to do so.

Who would you suggest he runs with?

MrMahatma
29-07-2022, 02:20 PM
He hasn't played a run with role thus far so it would be a stretch to do so.

Who would you suggest he runs with?

I'm definitely clutching for some sort of reason for his inclusion.

Maybe he'll be a cooler on Selwood. Not really sure. I just find it hard to think of Robbie in the team with "win ball" his first objective... cause it's usually "win ball, give to opposition".

I kind of forget why Bevo cops it about selections at times. This week is a genuine surprise to me though! We have hardly any injuries.

SquirrelGrip
29-07-2022, 02:53 PM

Some interesting comments by Tom Boyd in the latest DannyBoyd podcast - they were interviewing Fletcher Roberts and said how they always played team defence except when they played Geelong and Fletch would just man up on Hawkins. (Fletch was then usually dropped a week or two straight after)

Is that what we are up to this week - ignore the team defence for the big Geelong forwards and match up one on one the whole time? Or are we potentially doing the exact opposite and Zaine and RG provide more mobility to cover off team defence better?

GVGjr
29-07-2022, 03:00 PM

Maybe he'll be a cooler on Selwood. Not really sure. I just find it hard to think of Robbie in the team with "win ball" his first objective... cause it's usually "win ball, give to opposition".

I kind of forget why Bevo cops it about selections at times. This week is a genuine surprise to me though! We have hardly any injuries.

McComb seems to be the slightly more contentious decision especially when there is the likes of Hunter and McLean around the mark and of course McNeil. We will know straight after the game if it's worked.

Axe Man
29-07-2022, 03:08 PM
Some interesting comments by Tom Boyd in the latest DannyBoyd podcast - they were interviewing Fletcher Roberts and said how they always played team defence except when they played Geelong and Fletch would just man up on Hawkins. (Fletch was then usually dropped a week or two straight after)

Is that what we are up to this week - ignore the team defence for the big Geelong forwards and match up one on one the whole time? Or are we potentially doing the exact opposite and Zaine and RG provide more mobility to cover off team defence better?

Whatever they did with Cameron last time, lets not do that.

Mantis
29-07-2022, 03:12 PM

I can't see why you would bother sending someone to Selwood... just let our mids go at them H2H... however the 2 players I would like us to try and quell are Smith & Duncan. Would think that Williams would go to Smith given he did a good job on Langdon last week, which leaves Duncan who is the outside link player who when left to do his own thing can hurt with his elite foot skills.

mjp
29-07-2022, 04:21 PM
Whatever they did with Cameron last time, lets not do that.

I would be very (VERY) tempted to do the following crazy things:

1/. McComb - Run with role on Blicavs (if he goes to Bont which I expect he will).
2/. Williams - Plays on Cameron across Half-Forward. If they send him deep the Cordy/Gardner pairing deal with him.
3/. Garcia - Plays on Tom Stewart. He puts an elbow in his back. He doesn't lead. He makes EVERY contest Stewart goes to one where he cannot jump at the ball.

The problem with players like Stewart is the forwards who play on them think they are good players - so they try to lead and provide a target etc...it's a waste of time as the Stewarts/Levers of the world read the game SOOO much better than everyone else they only 'honour' the lead (seemingly) when the ball is kicked there. Forget the footy. Play with your elbow in his back, force a contest, don't let him get a jump at the ball and THEN work to win it.

My fear? We try to play straight up with Gardner vs Cameron and Cordy vs Hawkins with Khamis as nominal 3rd man-up support. I just think we get killed in that scenario.

MrMahatma
29-07-2022, 04:27 PM

Did we ever win against Geelong doing it that way?

DOG GOD
29-07-2022, 05:05 PM
We just beat Melbourne with Keath out of form.......and this is what you come up with?

Good to see you've shaken the COVID off and you're back to your regular self! :)

Actually, I’m still fighting post Covid with no end in sight..
And I don’t know why I bother….

I’m done.

Bulldog4life
29-07-2022, 06:03 PM

I’m done.

Chin up DG you'll get through it mate. Hope it is soon for you.

GVGjr
29-07-2022, 07:55 PM

I’m done.

Please stick with us DG and I hope you can shake off the effects of Covid.

mjp
29-07-2022, 08:18 PM

I've been lucky to dodge it mate but am still battling with breathing 8 weeks post flu...

There's some nasty stuff going around mate - hoping you feel better soon.

Grantysghost
29-07-2022, 09:21 PM

I’m done.

Get well soon mate, I've got something at the moment that's knocked me for 6 hoping it's not the spicey cough!

boydogs
29-07-2022, 10:29 PM
As much as I wouldn’t have dropped McNeil for McComb, I’m surprised by everyone genuinely stuck trying to imagine why, McComb is much more of a mid whereas McNeil is a small forward

kruder
30-07-2022, 12:03 AM
Very interesting that Hunter isn't an emergency.

MrMahatma
30-07-2022, 12:16 AM
As much as I wouldn’t have dropped McNeil for McComb, I’m surprised by everyone genuinely stuck trying to imagine why, McComb is much more of a mid whereas McNeil is a small forward

None of the questions are positional. All of them are capability based.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 01:48 AM
Wouldn't Gardner be a better match-up for Cameron? He's an athletic beast who can blunt Cameron's athletic prowess. Maybe Buku could as well? But he is very green and might get torched early on.

We take our chances with Cordy on Hawkins, with ample 3rd man up support from Buku/Hannan and the defensive wings/mids to clog the space inside D50.

Hawkins is a big bugger, hope Cordy can keep up

angelopetraglia
31-07-2022, 10:49 AM
Bevo in the presser was asked the question about Keath being dropped.

Journo basically said that a lot of Bulldog supporters were surprised. Bevo asked him how he would know that. Journo said talkback and social media. Bevo said it is the bell curve. The vast majority understand and the ones at the end are emotional and speak out.

He also did say that Keath talk it extremely well and that he is an amazing human being and that he played well in the VFL.

hujsh
31-07-2022, 11:31 AM
Bevo in the presser was asked the question about Keath being dropped.

Journo basically said that a lot of Bulldog supporters were surprised. Bevo asked him how he would know that. Journo said talkback and social media. Bevo said it is the bell curve. The vast majority understand and the ones at the end are emotional and speak out.

He also did say that Keath talk it extremely well and that he is an amazing human being and that he played well in the VFL.

I dunno. Even if you thought Keath has been bad it's still surprising. I think Bevo might have been dodging the question a bit there.

That said Cordy wasn't bad and was not the reason we lost so it wasn't such a bad call.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 11:33 AM
He mentioned rewarding Zaine too so there was another element.

Rocco Jones
31-07-2022, 12:00 PM
He mentioned rewarding Zaine too so there was another element.

Zaine was good I thought and I wanted him delisted last week.

An element with Keath surprise from fans is going to games I think. He is so off the pace at times that he doesn't even make screenshot. I rate/rated Keath extremely highly, one of the best KPDs last year and like I said, wanted Zaine delisted, but I was with the call last week as at least Zaine offers some sort of competitiveness.

Hopefully a good reset from Keath. Definitely don't think he is a type who has a poor attitude/complacent and needs a wake up call but perhaps a bit of a reset with less pressure.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Zaine was good I thought and I wanted him delisted last week.

An element with Keath surprise from fans is going to games I think. He is so off the pace at times that he doesn't even make screenshot. I rate/rated Keath extremely highly, one of the best KPDs last year and like I said, wanted Zaine delisted, but I was with the call last week as at least Zaine offers some sort of competitiveness.

Hopefully a good reset from Keath. Definitely don't think he is a type who has a poor attitude/complacent and needs a wake up call but perhaps a bit of a reset with less pressure.

Spot on. It was mentioned by Bevo how well he took it and what an incredible person he is.
He also said he played well at Werribee so I think a reset is an appropriate description.

kruder
31-07-2022, 01:02 PM
wrong thread

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 01:26 PM
Spot on. It was mentioned by Bevo how well he took it and what an incredible person he is.
He also said he played well at Werribee so I think a reset is an appropriate description.

John Schultz said do not change your Avatar again Granty.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 02:27 PM
John Schultz said do not change your Avatar again Granty.

Fair point, I'll be better.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 04:00 PM
McNeil said do not change your Avatar again Granty.

Fair point, I'll be better.

Fixed