PDA

View Full Version : Who has witnessed us winning at Kardinia?

chef
25-07-2022, 01:04 PM
My dad is a Geelong member so Im lucky(lol) enough to have seen us play at least a dozen times at Geetroit and I've never seen us win. I missed the game in the 00s(doh) and I can't remember us winning any other time.

I remember having to hide my Bulldog gear while standing in line back in the 80s as they let the Geelong fans in first haha. Pricks.

Happy Days
25-07-2022, 01:06 PM
Like I would ever go to Geelong without being forced to.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 01:09 PM
My dad is a Geelong member so Im lucky(lol) enough to have seen us play at least a dozen times at Geetroit and I've never seen us win. I missed the game in the 00s(doh) and I can't remember us winning any other time.

I remember having to hide my Bulldog gear while standing in line back in the 80s as they let the Geelong fans in first haha. Pricks.

The one the stands out in my mind was in 1985. Very high scoring match which we won by 3 or 4 goals without looking it up.

chef
25-07-2022, 01:14 PM
The one the stands out in my mind was in 1985. Very high scoring match which we won by 3 or 4 goals without looking it up.
Damn, that was just before my dad started taking me.

Grantysghost
25-07-2022, 01:18 PM

How did you end up being way smarter than your dad and follow the mighty Dawgs?? :)

My dad was a pies man, I'm glad Mum wore the pants!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-07-2022, 01:24 PM
1985 was the last win I saw there I swore off going there in the nineties

Axe Man
25-07-2022, 01:28 PM
First game I went to there was the win in 1995, Kym Koster and Libba stared.

In more recent times have been twice more (I think) but we predictably lost those.

Mantis
25-07-2022, 01:30 PM
I can remember going in 1995 and getting over the line with a god awful team.... we won with the likes of Daryl Griffin, Scott Allen, Peter Quill, Brad Nicholson, Ben Sexton, etc. running around.

It was less than 2 weeks after EJ's passing and after being touched up by Geelong by 88pts earlier in the season at the Western (Whitten) Oval the footy world gave us no chance... but on the back of our midfield of Libba, Koster & West having huge games we got over the line.

I was also there in 2001 when we came back from 6 goals down at 1/4 time to run over the top of Geelong... pretty sure it was Gia's first game too.

chef
25-07-2022, 01:38 PM
How did you end up being way smarter than your dad and follow the mighty Dawgs?? :)

My dad was a pies man, I'm glad Mum wore the pants!

My family is all over the shop, Dad a cat, Mum a Bomber, 3 brothers who are North, Bombers and Hawks. My girls are Lions but luckily my son is a Dog.

GVGjr
25-07-2022, 01:51 PM

Some of the worst Footy experiences I have had have been at Geelong.

I forget what year it was (at a guess it was mid or late 80's or so) I went down to watch a game with a Geelong mate.
Now back then a pie, chips and a drink at half time was typically $7.00 or 7.50 at the footy or $5.50 elsewhere at a cafe.
We got there early and standing in the outer with just some terrible Geelong supporters I needed a breather and went a bit early to get a half time meal. Pie, chips and can of coke was $10.50 and I asked the lady to check again, sure enough it was $10.50.
I also asked if there was a phone as I needed to call the police, she asked why and I said I had just been robbed. She didn't really have a sense of humor.

As a spectator we used to have to watch us get soundly beaten most times so whenever I saw a win there it was pretty special.
In 2003 when we had Johnson, Smith and Darcy lighting them up was special.

The bulldog tragician
25-07-2022, 02:51 PM
I remember 4 wins.

We beat them in consecutive years 98 and 99. I don’t recollect which one but I think Rohan smith got poleaxed by a rampaging Gary Ablett. On at least one of those occasions, perhaps even both, I stood on a milk crate in the outer! Can you imagine that!And I barely saw a thing even so, but family commentated around enough that I got the gist of it!

Also saw the ‘comeback’ wins in the early 2000s, I particularly remember when Jono starred and took a screamer. This was also the famous (!!) occasion where my sister & I were dubbed the Libba Sisters by a Geelong wit.

Many more miserable memories however. It is now the worst ground to watch footy, full stop. Exorbitant tickets to be unable to make out the play. The parochial country cockies, the blatant umpire bias. You’re ripped off at every point. And then those miserable trips home whether by car or train where you vow and declare never to visit the hellhole again.

Prince Imperial
25-07-2022, 03:11 PM
I was there in 85 but was overseas in 95. I went to five wins in a row there from 98 to 03 but other than that it's been an utter nightmare on so many occasions.

Bulldog Revolution
25-07-2022, 03:19 PM
Likek Bulldog Tragician I remember being down there and beating them in the Wallace years - I think it was Paul Hudson, who soccerred the ball that was going out of bounds in our right forward pocket - and it bounced up and he hit it like a great cross in soccer to Luke Darcy who cant have been too far from the goal square who marked and goaled late in the game that guaranteed us a win

That might be the only win I can recall having been at, at Kardinia Park

angelopetraglia
25-07-2022, 03:19 PM
We have only won 14 games against Geelong at Kardina Park in our history. It has been nearly 20 years since our last win at that ground. I think I was at three of the below games. 2002. 2001. Both of those were significant come from behind wins. In 2002 we were 40 points down half way through the second quarter. In 2001 we were 18 points behind at three quarter time and piled on six goals straight in the last quarter to win the game with many of those very late in the game.

Rnd Opponent F A R M Crowd Date
R16 Western Bulldogs 81 99 L -18 22067 Sun 20-Jul-2003 1:10 PM
R9 Western Bulldogs 105 117 L -12 22033 Sat 25-May-2002 2:10 PM
R12 Western Bulldogs 87 94 L -7 22771 Sat 16-Jun-2001 2:10 PM
R17 Western Bulldogs 91 98 L -7 19951 Sat 24-Jul-1999 2:10 PM
R4 Western Bulldogs 79 94 L -15 26301 Sat 18-Apr-1998 2:10 PM
R21 Footscray 110 125 L -15 25057 Sat 26-Aug-1995 2:10 PM
R14 Footscray 124 146 L -22 19616 Sat 29-Jun-1985 2:10 PM
R3 Footscray 90 98 L -8 17158 Sat 19-Apr-1975 2:10 PM
R6 Footscray 80 98 L -18 15305 Sat 12-May-1973 2:10 PM
R7 Footscray 108 111 L -3 16836 Sat 13-May-1972 2:10 PM
R1 Footscray 77 77 D 0 34844 Mon 22-Apr-1957 2:15 PM
R13 Footscray 80 97 L -17 6000 Sat 14-Jul-1945 2:30 PM
R12 Footscray 77 101 L -24 7000 Sat 22-Jul-1944 2:30 PM
R8 Footscray 78 93 L -15 5000 Sat 21-Jun-1941 2:30 PM

Twodogs
25-07-2022, 03:28 PM
What year was it when we just got over the line due to a goal when Luke Darcy kicked the ball in midair from a boundary throw in and Johnno marked it in the goal square?

My biggest memory is getting into a punch on after the game with some locals in the mid 80s
They were calling us western suburbs scum and we were calling them sheep *!*!*!*!ing farm boys and it took off from there.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2022, 03:30 PM
I have never considered going there as I go solo and have no GFC mates. We were in front when the siren went last time.

angelopetraglia
25-07-2022, 03:34 PM
We have played them at Kardina Park 59 times. We have only won 14 times for a win rate of 23.7%. We have lost the last 10 games against them at the ground by an average of five goals.

Super interesting is that prior to losing those 10 straight we had won five in a row at the ground by an average margin of 11 points with the biggest victory being 18 points.

Hopefully come Saturday we can bring some of that 1998 to 2003 spirit and magic.

josie
25-07-2022, 03:36 PM
OK I’ll fess up. Hubby and me drove to game at kardinia park vs cats - it must have been the 2001 game. Could hardly see a thing. Fans were so parochial and unfriendly. I think we were standing. Horrible conditions. We were down by 21 points part way through last quarter. So inhospitable hubby and me gave up and drove home with radio on. Scott West turned it on in midfield and Johnno kicked a few and we won. We felt simultaneously elated and guilty about leaving early. We have hardly walked out of an AFL game early since then - maybe two max and only when siren about to blow even if we are being thrashed.

Been to at least 3 or 4 since then and of course every one a loss. Seated but dreadfully windy and wrecked a pair of binoculars in miserable rainy and cold weather one of them. Hate the place. Difficult to navigate, bleak, muddy and none of the attraction of a vfl match where at least you can stand on boundary line close to action and move away from any ferals. Thought about going this week but ticket price I thought was too high and hate to think of cats benefitting from my hard earned.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2022, 04:00 PM
I remember the two comeback games.

I remember Chris Grant kicking one from the pocket late - I would have been about 10!

It's been a long time between drinks.

Topdog
25-07-2022, 04:14 PM
I wont be fooled into this trick question, we never win at Geelong.

Sedat
25-07-2022, 04:17 PM
I remember the two comeback games.

I remember Chris Grant kicking one from the pocket late - I would have been about 10!

It's been a long time between drinks.
Plough had some success there from 1998-2001. Otherwise it has been very slim pickings at that $300m taxpayer funded pork barrell pissant toy ground with no wings shithole.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 04:27 PM
What year was it when we just got over the line due to a goal when Luke Darcy kicked the ball in midair from a boundary throw in and Johnno marked it in the goal square?

My biggest memory is getting into a punch on after the game with some locals in the mid 80s
They were calling us western suburbs scum and we were calling them sheep *!*!*!*!ing farm boys and it took off from there.

I had a similar experience during that time.But during the game and no punch on. Just verbal. These 3 block heads were continually calling shorty Daniels a poo jammer. I was standing directly behind them...always an advantage in an altercation. I was giving them heaps at every opportunity. Hand bag side etc etc, running down their team, shouting loudly in their ears after a goal. Always on the attack. I remember as they turned around each time to give me a bit back I would condescendingly say "don't look at me look at the game look at the game"...really irritated them. It was great and we won. Must have been 1985. Ah the good old days.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2022, 04:32 PM
Plough had some success there from 1998-2001. Otherwise it has been very slim pickings at that $300m taxpayer funded pork barrell pissant toy ground with no wings shithole.

In the stands last year as that cheating, typically big-game-failing floghorn kicked the goal after the siren was nearly the end of me.

Sedat
25-07-2022, 04:32 PM
I had a similar experience during that time.But during the game and no punch on. Just verbal. These 3 block heads were continually calling shorty Daniels a poo jammer. I was standing directly behind them...always an advantage in an altercation. I was giving them heaps at every opportunity. Hand bag side etc etc, running down their team, shouting loudly in the ears after a goal. Always on the attack. I remember as they turned around each time to give me a bit back I would condescendingly say "don't look at me look at the game look at the game"...really irritated them. It was great and we won. Must have been 1985. Ah the good old days.
Same game Andrew Bews kicked goal of the year from memory. The one where he took possession of the ball and then left it behind on the ground, went and got it again, and then baulked about 5 separate players before snapping it just out of Michael Ford's reach on the goaline. Was a sensational goal.

What a great year 1985 was, we even beat the filth at Vic Park.

Bulldog4life
25-07-2022, 04:42 PM
Same game Andrew Bews kicked goal of the year from memory. The one where he took possession of the ball and then left it behind on the ground, went and got it again, and then baulked about 5 separate players before snapping it just out of Michael Ford's reach on the goaline. Was a sensational goal.

God you have a memory and a half Sedat. I couldn't remember if Ford played that game. Unfortunately I tend to remember the champs of that period. Yes 1985 would have to be my second best year of all time. 2016 the best. Because I went to most games in those years they stand out more than last year.

angelopetraglia
25-07-2022, 04:53 PM
God you have a memory and a half Sedat. I couldn't remember if Ford played that game. Unfortunately I tend to remember the champs of that period. Yes 1985 would have to be my second best year of all time. 2016 the best. Because I went to most games in those years they stand out more than last year.

I was 10. I went to nearly every game that year too. Simon Beasley kicking bags every week. Hawkins running amok on the wing. Brad Hardie reinventing the back pocket position. Seriously tough players across the field with Kennedy, Foster, Edmond, Wallis and McPherson to name a few. Purser was a star and Choco was an elite goal kicking rover. Great team. Great memories. Childhood heroes for me.

Vred
25-07-2022, 04:55 PM
So what your saying is, don't catch the Vline down to Geelong to see the game this weekend?

Sedat
25-07-2022, 05:04 PM
I was 10. I went to nearly every game that year too. Simon Beasley kicking bags every week. Hawkins running amok on the wing. Brad Hardie reinventing the back pocket position. Seriously tough players across the field with Kennedy, Foster, Edmond, Wallis and McPherson to name a few. Purser was a star and Choco was an elite goal kicking rover. Great team. Great memories. Childhood heroes for me.
You forgot Lally kicking 50 goals playing Robin to Beaser's Batman.

angelopetraglia
25-07-2022, 05:16 PM
You forgot Lally kicking 50 goals playing Robin to Beaser's Batman.

What a year he had. 51 goals for a small forward is good going. Pity he had so many injuries after that break out year.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Is it really Selwood’s 350th this week? How unlucky are we?

EasternWest
25-07-2022, 06:53 PM

Sedat I've put up with this for long enough. If you're going to keep singing the praises of Kardinia Park and not acknowledge the blatant advantage it gives Geelong you're gonna have to go.

SonofScray
25-07-2022, 07:09 PM
A few during Plough’s run and this weekend coming,

dalek
25-07-2022, 07:35 PM
I remember being there for the come from behind wins in the early 2000's.

Eastdog
25-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Robodog jumper we could wear a week earlier to inspire us :D

Eastdog
25-07-2022, 09:35 PM
My family is all over the shop, Dad a cat, Mum a Bomber, 3 brothers who are North, Bombers and Hawks. My girls are Lions but luckily my son is a Dog.

I can relate chef. A mixed bag in my family as well. Mum is a Demon, Dad isn’t a big footy follower, younger brother is a Magpie.

Twodogs
25-07-2022, 09:42 PM

That game has one of the great bits of commentary by Tim Lane when he was still at channel 2. In the last quarter Collingwood with their last real chance gets the ball to Brian Taylor. Taylor has a set shot and kicks it straight into Rick Kennedy on the mark. Lane's commentary goes something like "oh no. Kennedy handballs to Hardie, over the top to Daniels, this is how it should be done, to Edmond, takes a bounce and delivers to BEAS-LEY! Game over"

Twodogs
25-07-2022, 09:47 PM
I have never considered going there as I go solo and have no GFC mates. We were in front when the siren went last time.

It's strange but I've got no Geelong supporting mates either. I've got mates who support all the other Victorian clubs but not Geelong.

That probably says a lot about the average Geelong supporter.

Twodogs
25-07-2022, 09:52 PM
Sedat I've put up with this for long enough. If you're going to keep singing the praises of Kardinia Park and not acknowledge the blatant advantage it gives Geelong you're gonna have to go.

Yeah it really is time to stop faffing about and let us know how you feel about the handbaggers. Enough dillydalling around I reckon

jeemak
25-07-2022, 10:36 PM
I've never been!

Bulldog4life
26-07-2022, 10:36 AM
Yeah it really is time to stop faffing about and let us know how you feel about the handbaggers. Enough dillydalling around I reckon

I think The handbaggers name should be resurrected when talking about Geelong now. I used to love yelling that out at the footy when playing Geelong. Used to get their followers really pissed off. Isn't that what footy's about?

Bulldog4life
26-07-2022, 10:36 AM
I've never been!

Saturday night?

jeemak
26-07-2022, 11:00 AM
I had a similar experience during that time.But during the game and no punch on. Just verbal. These 3 block heads were continually calling shorty Daniels a poo jammer. I was standing directly behind them...always an advantage in an altercation. I was giving them heaps at every opportunity. Hand bag side etc etc, running down their team, shouting loudly in their ears after a goal. Always on the attack. I remember as they turned around each time to give me a bit back I would condescendingly say "don't look at me look at the game look at the game"...really irritated them. It was great and we won. Must have been 1985. Ah the good old days.

That's so agricultural.

merantau
31-07-2022, 09:58 AM

I was at that game. Les Bamblett kicking a marvellous running goal to the opposite end of the city end - I have no idea what they call it, have no desire to know what they call it either. In fact, I have no desire to know anything about Geelong. I first learnt the meaning of the word "hoodoo" in the 1960s as it was always mentioned by the scribes when previewing Dogs v Cats games.

I was at the game when Bews kicked goal of the year against us. I also witnsessed a loss when the late Dennis Collins kicked a long bomb on the siren that just missed.

angelopetraglia
31-07-2022, 11:23 AM
I fear my children will never see the Dogs win at Kardinia Park in their lifetime at this rate.

Mitcha
31-07-2022, 02:15 PM
I fear my children will never see the Dogs win at Kardinia Park in their lifetime at this rate.

Never fear, we have to play there each and every year unlike most other Victorian sides.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 04:00 PM
Never fear, we have to play there each and every year unlike most other Victorian sides.

When was the last time Collingwood played there - AFL are a joke

HOSE B ROMERO
31-07-2022, 07:28 PM
went there 15-20 times pre 2000 for one victory. I used to get a really good parking spot in the lane behind the takeaway on Latrobe terrace. small win..