PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 21 v Fremantle at Marvel on Saturday

Scraggers
27-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 20 match against Geelong for our Round 21 match against Fremantle at Marvel on Saturday arvo.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
30-07-2022, 05:03 PM
Bump

1eyedog
30-07-2022, 11:04 PM
No idea but Hannan is a witches hat and McComb a turnover merchant so they've gotta go, but they won't and therein lies a part of our problem.

We are dying for Liam Jones in that backline as well. Sad state of affairs.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2022, 11:10 PM
Can we play Darcy and drop Bruce? Or are we completely committed to playing Darcy as a defender?

josie
30-07-2022, 11:11 PM
Out: McComb, Hannan, JJ, possibly Bruce
In: Treloar if fit and McNeil if not, Duryea, Cleary, Schache surely would offer more than Bruce at present

azabob
30-07-2022, 11:12 PM
Can we play Darcy and drop Bruce? Or are we completely committed to playing Darcy as a defender?

BB, your match committee, do as you chose.

josie
30-07-2022, 11:13 PM

I thought same thing but think MC will probably not play him forward. Would be exciting to see him debut in one of our remaining 2 home matches.

Bullies
30-07-2022, 11:13 PM
Can we play Darcy and drop Bruce? Or are we completely committed to playing Darcy as a defender? Would rather have a Dipping Bird at full forward than Bruce at the moment.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 11:15 PM
Wrong thread

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2022, 11:17 PM
I thought same thing but think MC will probably not play him forward. Would be exciting to see him debut in one of our remaining 2 home matches.

I get why we're playing him as a defender from both a personal development perspective and the fact that we have no quality key defenders.

But if he's really THAT good, a unicorn as Bont describes, just play him in his best position. Naughton/Darcy/Marra sounds exciting.

In: Treloar, McLean, Darcy
Out: Hannan or JJ, McComb, Bruce

If we drop JJ, move Hannan forward.

G-Mo77
30-07-2022, 11:24 PM
Darcy, it is time.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Duryea for Hannan
Treloar for McComb
Mclean for JJ

I would like Darcy in for Bruce, but not sure it will happen

azabob
30-07-2022, 11:30 PM
Did Duyrea play today? If not he has to come back via the seconds.

History suggests Treloar will miss more than one week.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 11:31 PM

Yes he played

hujsh
30-07-2022, 11:56 PM
Treloar for McComb

Schache or Darcy if we're feeling spicy for Bruce

Mclean for JJ

Dureya for Hannan

And lastly McSteal to steal back his rightful spot is what I would say but sadly I'm not sure I see an in for him. Just don't make McComb the sub please. I'm begging here.

josie
31-07-2022, 12:22 AM
Treloar for McComb

Schache or Darcy if we're feeling spicy for Bruce

Mclean for JJ

Dureya for Hannan

And lastly McSteal to steal back his rightful spot is what I would say but sadly I'm not sure I see an in for him. Just don't make McComb the sub please. I'm begging here.

I’m feeling spicy.

westbulldog
31-07-2022, 12:40 AM
Bruce and Hannan would have to be the first picked wouldn't they ?

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 12:45 AM
In : Darcy, Treloar, Duryea, McLean
Out : Bruce, McComb, Hannan, Garcia

azabob
31-07-2022, 10:08 AM
In : Darcy, Treloar, Duryea, McLean
Out : Bruce, McComb, Hannan, Garcia

GG, bit rough on Garcia?

merantau
31-07-2022, 10:25 AM
I don't see Bruce turning his form around in a hurry. He looks slow. I'd play Schache instead. Duryea must come in. McLean in. Hannan and McComb out.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Yep Bevo said he wouldn't be surprised if Treloar missed another week.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 10:37 AM
I don't see Bruce turning his form around in a hurry. He looks slow. I'd play Schache instead. Duryea must come in. McLean in. Hannan and McComb out.

Just on his few games it looks like the game has passed him by. I truly hope I am wrong.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 10:54 AM
GG, bit rough on Garcia?

I'm his biggest fan.

I just think McLean gives us more versatility and don't understand why he's not playing.

If Treloar isn't right Garcia stays.

angelopetraglia
31-07-2022, 10:57 AM
Disclaimer. I don't gamble. I despise gambling in the game and believe there should be tighter controls around gambling advertising.

However, opened up the AFL app to look at next week's fixture and it is interesting that the bookies have us at $1.54 favourites next week against Freo. I guess the Geelong performance was on par from what the neutral supporters expected. We are also a different team at Marvel. Freo has to travel and they were horrific against Melbourne on their home deck.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 11:02 AM
Disclaimer. I don't gamble. I despise gambling in the game and believe there should be tighter controls around gambling advertising.

However, opened up the AFL app to look at next week's fixture and it is interesting that the bookies have us at $1.54 favourites next week against Freo. I guess the Geelong performance was on par from what the neutral supporters expected. We are also a different team at Marvel. Freo has to travel and they were horrific against Melbourne on their home deck.

They set the odds to attract the biggest pot.

Those odds for Freo would generate some money flow that way.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 11:07 AM
They set the odds to attract the biggest pot.

Those odds for Freo would generate some money flow that way.

Smart man.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 11:22 AM
Smart man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xYbNcQcQq3V4s/giphy.gif

Scorlibo
31-07-2022, 11:27 AM

Their form has been underwhelming recently, while ours has been strong save for the third quarter last night, and it's our home deck. Personally, I'm expecting to win and not surprised by those odds.

azabob
31-07-2022, 11:57 AM
I'm his biggest fan.

I just think McLean gives us more versatility and don't understand why he's not playing.

If Treloar isn't right Garcia stays.

Hold on, you can’t be McNeil and Garcia’s biggest fan!

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 12:19 PM
Hold on, you can’t be McNeil and Garcia’s biggest fan!

I can and I will!

Rocco Jones
31-07-2022, 12:37 PM
I think Bevo will see Bruce as having improving. I do not think he should be playing, however I also believe we don't have a quality option for R2/fwd role. I'd be giving Schache more ruck time and Sweet as much forward time as possible in the VFL to see as good as a view as we can.

McComb is a tough one to get. I actually like Bevo's reward for the worker type as a benchmark for the side, like the greater good for expectations set but he just isn't good enough.

Hannan I think needs a pre-season down back. We have other options. Maybe Bevo just waiting for Doc.

In: Adz, Doc
Out: McComb, Hannan

Hannan or Cleary as the sub.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 01:34 PM
I think the ins will considered from Treloar, McLean, Dureya, Keath and possibly Darcy. The outs McComb, Hannan and not sure who else.

kruder
31-07-2022, 03:32 PM
In

Tim English and the midfield group play an accountable 4 quarter performance, they were pathetic last night after quarter time.

If not, then English goes forward and Sweet comes in to ruck, while Bruce gets some form in the seconds.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-07-2022, 07:48 PM
In - Darcy who plays back and the swing man Cordy replaces Juicy on the forward 50

Sweet has to come in for Hannan. Floats between ruck/forward/bench

McClean in for McComb. I’d move Jj back behind the ball and play McClean forward

Sorry can’t see a spot for Kieth, Hunter or Bruce for the last two games

If Doc is ready. I’ld drop Daniel purely as he looked so under done it wasn’t funny

1eyedog
31-07-2022, 10:04 PM
I think Bevo will see Bruce as having improving. I do not think he should be playing, however I also believe we don't have a quality option for R2/fwd role. I'd be giving Schache more ruck time and Sweet as much forward time as possible in the VFL to see as good as a view as we can.

How about English forward? Great mark, great kick, smart player. English could be a dominant forward.

I mean do we want to win or do we want to keep English happy?

hujsh
31-07-2022, 10:55 PM
How about English forward? Great mark, great kick, smart player. English could be a dominant forward.

I mean do we want to win or do we want to keep English happy?

Great mark behind the ball.

Great field kick.

Smart in many aspects of play.

As a forward I think he's okay, his marking is less good presenting at the ball and he doesn't seem a natural forward as far as finding space/leading goes. His set shot kicking doesn't strike me as super reliable despite being a good field kick.

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit from a team balance perspective but I don't think he's as good a forward as he is a ruck (when he's on, which is an issue it seems)

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-07-2022, 10:55 PM
In - Darcy who plays back and the swing man Cordy replaces Juicy on the forward 50

Sweet has to come in for Hannan. Floats between ruck/forward/bench

McClean in for McComb. I’d move Jj back behind the ball and play McClean forward

Sorry can’t see a spot for Kieth, Hunter or Bruce for the last two games

If Doc is ready. I’ld drop Daniel purely as he looked so under done it wasn’t funny
Daniel is too good a player to be dropped. We do not have enough of his class. Richards is better suited to the half back line leaving Daniel to play in the last line of defence. He was under done against Geelong but is a far better player than that.

MrMahatma
31-07-2022, 11:27 PM
In:
Adz, Doc, Darcy

Out:
McComb, Hannan, Bruce

bornadog
31-07-2022, 11:50 PM

Great field kick.

As a forward I think he's okay, his marking is less good presenting at the ball and he doesn't seem a natural forward as far as finding space/leading goes. His set shot kicking doesn't strike me as super reliable despite being a good field kick.

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit from a team balance perspective but I don't think he's as good a forward as he is a ruck (when he's on, which is an issue it seems)

I agree. We all carry on about his forward craft, but he has actually done nothing up forward to date.

Scorlibo
01-08-2022, 12:55 AM

That's the key point I reckon. English is our best option in the ruck, but is the marginal advantage he provides versus a Sweet or Martin bigger than the marginal advantage he provides as a forward versus a Bruce or Schache? I'm leaning towards keeping him in the ruck and bringing Schache in for the forward/ruck, but on current form at both levels this combination isn't that much more appealing than Martin (ruck) / English (forward) in my view. Martin's been having a big impact around the stoppages the last two weeks in the VFL, and we know that Tim will clunk a few inside fifty if provided enough time up there. Plus against Darcy the man mountain this week, could be nice to have two genuine ruckmen.

On VFL form, Hunter should have been in the side to face Geelong, so there must be something else at play keeping him out. It's a shame because I think he's a key connection player for us when up and about.

I love Toby McLean and he's working hard in the VFL but I'm not sure if he's shown enough quality in his game yet to warrant a return. From what I've seen he hasn't been super clean with his touches.

Duryea - given how disorganised and unaccountable our small defenders looked against the Cats, his leadership could be valuable.

Sam Darcy doesn't sound close to a debut based on Bevo's comments. Seems we are still in the process of trying him in a range of roles. I think he'd acquit himself okay, he's such a presence in the VFL, but can understand that he's not had much continuity in any given role, which makes it hard to throw him in the deep end with confidence that he'll swim. If we were out of contention maybe it would be an affordable luxury.

So for me it's -

In: Treloar, Schache, Duryea
Out: McComb, Bruce, Hannan

with a mind to bringing Keath and Hunter in before the end of the regular season, and keeping a close watch on the ruck dynamic at both levels.

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 02:22 AM
For what it's worth, the indication is Treloar won't be or at least is very unlikely to playing against Fremantle.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 10:30 AM
For what it's worth, the indication is Treloar won't be or at least is very unlikely to playing against Fremantle.

Yeah, Bevo said that.

I hope he can come up.

Scraggers
01-08-2022, 11:49 AM
I agree. We all carry on about his forward craft, but he has actually done nothing up forward to date.

Has he been given a run up forward? Genuine question
I have seen him drift up forward after a centre bounce and lead well and kick straight, but I haven't seen him start up forward at a centre bounce.

hujsh
01-08-2022, 12:12 PM
I have seen him drift up forward after a centre bounce and lead well and kick straight, but I haven't seen him start up forward at a centre bounce.

He absolutely did last year. At the start and at the end of the H&A season. The highlight was the Brisbane game in Ballarat but I don't think he was super impactful aside from that.

azabob
01-08-2022, 12:25 PM
He absolutely did last year. At the start and at the end of the H&A season. The highlight was the Brisbane game in Ballarat but I don't think he was super impactful aside from that.

From rounds 1 to 6 last year he kicked 9 goals and then was concussed and didn't play again till like round 11.

Martin would have been first ruck and English the third tall forward.

I think 9 goals from six games as the resting ruckman you would take that every day of the week.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 01:39 PM

From rounds 1 to 6 last year he kicked 9 goals and then was concussed and didn't play again till like round 11.

I think 9 goals from six games as the resting ruckman you would take that every day of the week.

When Bruce went down, English played full time forward and Lewis Young was asked to play ruck for the remainder of the season.

English kicked 2 v Port, and that is it

Scorlibo
01-08-2022, 01:57 PM
When Bruce went down, English played full time forward and Lewis Young was asked to play ruck for the remainder of the season.

English kicked 2 v Port, and that is it

My recollection is that he shared ruck duties pretty evenly with Young and then Stef Martin for the last two H&A games and finals series? Except for the Port H&A game, where he kicked 2 playing primarily as a forward.

The game against Brisbane in Ballarat he looked unstoppable forward. Kicked 3.3 and nabbed the three Brownlow votes.

On exposed form this season he's obviously a better ruck than he is a forward, but he's also a better forward than Bruce, Sweet or Cordy. Probably Schache too.

hujsh
01-08-2022, 03:37 PM

For sure that is a very good average as a resting ruck. What we'd give to get that from Sweet so he could be the second ruck. But if you're playing English forward on the basis that he could be 'dominant' down there then I think it's a mistaken assessment of his capabilities.He has enough to be a nice forward who occasionally has a good or very good game but his overall output will decrease for sure.

1eyedog
02-08-2022, 10:11 AM

Great field kick.

Fair enough. I'm struggling to think of a better set shot kick for goal this year than English. I feel very assured when he has the ball 40 metres out, perhaps Weightman is the only one.

I get that English works hard to drop back and he has saved us many times on the last line. Wish we had two of him. I'm not English forward at all costs particularly given the meteoric rise of Marra these past few weeks.

I'm worried about Naughton though who seems to have lost touch.

bornadog
02-08-2022, 10:20 AM

Seems to be down on confidence.

Rocco Jones
02-08-2022, 10:31 AM
Naughts has been through a lot this season.

He jarred his knee in R9 and then again in R17. Naughts constantly puts his body on the line and I am guessing he isn't at '100%'.

josie
02-08-2022, 11:00 AM
Naughts is banged up I reckon. He bashes, crashes, in and under. Could do with a break which unfortunately might be sooner than we would like.

hujsh
02-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Fair enough. I'm struggling to think of a better set shot kick for goal this year than English. I feel very assured when he has the ball 40 metres out, perhaps Weightman is the only one.

I get that English works hard to drop back and he has saved us many times on the last line. Wish we had two of him. I'm not English forward at all costs particularly given the meteoric rise of Marra these past few weeks.

That would be ideal. English is both our best ruck and our best 2nd ruck/forward. A frustrating position to be in.

Axe Man
02-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Naughts is banged up I reckon. He bashes, crashes, in and under. Could do with a break which unfortunately might be sooner than we would like.

He will get a break between our last game of the home and away season and our first final. ;)

westbulldog
02-08-2022, 11:04 AM
Just as an aside Saturday might be possibly the last time you can see David Mundy in action. Whilst I of course want us to win Mundy has had a fine 19 year career and as a player, totally unflappable and somewhat of a rolls royce in the Pendlebury mode, top bloke too by all accounts. I heard on the radio this morning that we recruited Steven Koops when we could have had Mundy (?)

bornadog
02-08-2022, 11:23 AM
Just as an aside Saturday might be possibly the last time you can see David Mundy in action. Whilst I of course want us to win Mundy has had a fine 19 year career and as a player, totally unflappable and somewhat of a rolls royce in the Pendlebury mode, top bloke too by all accounts. I heard on the radio this morning that we recruited Steven Koops when we could have had Mundy (?)
Yeaks !!!

I see Josh Kennedy at WC also retiring.

Axe Man
02-08-2022, 11:48 AM

Yep, in 2003 we traded pick 19 for Koops (Mundy) and pick 20 for Peter Street (Sam Butler - West Coast premiership player +150 games).

Of course we may have drafted duds instead of those 2 if we kept the picks but it isn't pretty reading.

We also traded out Nathan Brown and did the Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings in the PSD. The whole thing was a disaster.

Happy Days
02-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Yep, in 2003 we traded pick 19 for Koops (Mundy) and pick 20 for Peter Street (Sam Butler - West Coast premiership player +150 games).

Of course we may have drafted duds instead of those 2 if we kept the picks but it isn't pretty reading.

We also traded out Nathan Brown and did the Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings in the PSD. The whole thing was a disaster.

This right here is why we didn’t win the premiership in 2008-2010.

mjp
02-08-2022, 12:13 PM
This right here is why we didn’t win the premiership in 2008-2010.

It's never as simple as that but when we are giving up list spots and long-ish term contracts to ageing players (Martin, apparently Jones) then we are in jeopardy of making similar comments about the 2021-2024 years when Bont was at his peak and Naughton was sitting on everyone's shoulders.

The bulldog tragician
02-08-2022, 03:51 PM
It's never as simple as that but when we are giving up list spots and long-ish term contracts to ageing players (Martin, apparently Jones) then we are in jeopardy of making similar comments about the 2021-2024 years when Bont was at his peak and Naughton was sitting on everyone's shoulders.
Sometimes we need a “dislike” button.

bornadog
02-08-2022, 04:23 PM
It's never as simple as that but when we are giving up list spots and long-ish term contracts to ageing players (Martin, apparently Jones)

We offered him a salary over two years but he wanted more salary - so we said you can have the salary but over 3 years.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Rawlings did not want to come to us plus Veale was no deal, a very unlike Bulldog shifty deal.
And we could've had Mundy! Woah!
We lost snakes and ladders.

mjp
02-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Sometimes we need a “dislike” button.

Why don't you like my post?

I know I tend to see the gloomy side of some recent trades - Martin, Treloar, O'Brien and now Jones - but I'm actually NOT against recruiting players...I just want to recruit the right ones. 30 year old CHB's who wouldn't have played in 18-months and voluntarily sat out of footy seems like a bad bet to be placing.

mjp
02-08-2022, 04:43 PM
We offered him a salary over two years but he wanted more salary - so we said you can have the salary but over 3 years.

This seems like the dumbest logic ever.

bornadog
02-08-2022, 04:48 PM

I know I tend to see the gloomy side of some recent trades - Martin, Treloar, O'Brien and now Jones - but I'm actually NOT against recruiting players...I just want to recruit the right ones. 30 year old CHB's who wouldn't have played in 18-months and voluntarily sat out of footy seems like a bad bet to be placing.

I think BTT was talking about what the club did (you mentioned in your post)

The bulldog tragician
02-08-2022, 06:24 PM

I should have made clear I was disliking this prospect which is quite depressing:
then we are in jeopardy of making similar comments about the 2021-2024 years when Bont was at his peak and Naughton was sitting on everyone's shoulders.

EasternWest
02-08-2022, 11:51 PM
He will get a break between our last game of the home and away season and our first final. ;)

So you think he's not going to play for the bulk of 2023?

BornInDroopSt'54
02-08-2022, 11:54 PM

I ignored it cos I don't think she meant it.
I think she meant dislike of a the 3 yr contract?

SonofScray
04-08-2022, 02:21 PM
IN: Sam Darcy

Great scenes listening to Bevo announce he will make his debut. Feels like a big moment for the Club.

Bullies
04-08-2022, 02:27 PM
This seems like the dumbest logic ever. Agreed it sets you up for failure.

bornadog
04-08-2022, 02:32 PM
Agreed it sets you up for failure.

How?

Bullies
04-08-2022, 02:49 PM
How? Someone at that age wants 2 years at a certain salary which is fair enough but we say no you can have the salary but it will be over 3 when he will be 34. Only the elite can play until 34. Surely we would say 2 and lets see how you are travelling.

bornadog
04-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Someone at that age wants 2 years at a certain salary which is fair enough but we say no you can have the salary but it will be over 3 when he will be 34. Only the elite can play until 34. Surely we would say 2 and lets see how you are travelling.

Or, we spread the salary over three and if he is no good in year 3 doesn't matter as our salary cap is balanced. Downside, it does take up an additional spot.

G-Mo77
04-08-2022, 03:30 PM
It's a 2 year deal split over 3 years; so lets say his asking price is $1m total, we're paying him that at $330k over 3. I don't think that is too bad to be honest. That was my understanding of the 3 year deal anyway?

But yeah Sam Darcy is in!

Topdog
04-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Or, we spread the salary over three and if he is no good in year 3 doesn't matter as our salary cap is balanced. Downside, it does take up an additional spot.

List spots are gold. We give them up too easily in my opinion.

Mofra
04-08-2022, 03:39 PM
A list spot is still a $250-$300k pa investment before you take into account salary and match fees. And the opportunity cost.
I'm not comfortable with the three year deal.

Reading between the lines, we've been asking the question all year of KPDs and the cupboard is bare for anyone half-decent who is gettable. I suspect we end up with Lobb, Jones, and maybe a fringe role player from our trades that infuriates us but we picked up for the optics.

SquirrelGrip
04-08-2022, 04:01 PM
Bevo said Bruce is playing, but I couldn't see him with the rest of the team when they made the announcement about Darce.

This is a real historic moment for the club.

angelopetraglia
04-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Bevo said Bruce is playing, but I couldn't see him with the rest of the team when they made the announcement about Darce.

This is a real historic moment for the club.

Bruce was definitely there.

SquirrelGrip
04-08-2022, 04:06 PM
Bruce was definitely there.

Sorry I take that back, he appeared right at the end of the video from the back corner to give Sam a noogie on his head.

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Sorry I take that back, he appeared right at the end of the video from the back corner to give Sam a noogie on his head.

A chance for an "The Office" quote
Ryan Howard: "And if they knew how much I was paying for my haircut now, they wouldn't be giving me a noogie"

bornadog
04-08-2022, 04:43 PM
I think Hunter may come in.

SquirrelGrip
04-08-2022, 05:03 PM
My team for this week:

B Darcy Gardner Duryea
HB Richards Cordy Dale
C Daniel Bontempelli Williams
HF Bazlenka Naughton Johannisen
F Jamarra Bruce Weightman
Foll English Macrae Liberatore

Int Dunkley Garcia West Buku

Sub Hunter

In: Darcy, Duryea, (Hunter)
Out: Hannan, McComb (McNeill)

1eyedog
04-08-2022, 05:26 PM

Thanks heaps for that.

1eyedog
04-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Someone at that age wants 2 years at a certain salary which is fair enough but we say no you can have the salary but it will be over 3 when he will be 34. Only the elite can play until 34. Surely we would say 2 and lets see how you are travelling.

Jones isn't that banged up, had a year off as well. Also has a touch of Mr Elastic re. Dustin Fletcher about him.

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 05:42 PM
Jones isn't that banged up, had a year off as well. Also has a touch of Mr Elastic re. Dustin Fletcher about him.

While I remain hopeful regarding Jones I've mentioned before that having a year off didn't help Crameri that much.

azabob
04-08-2022, 05:47 PM
While I remain hopeful regarding Jones I've mentioned before that having a year off didn't help Crameri that much.

You have mentioned this a lot and I agree it is a very valid point. One that Bevo and co should have very front and centre of mind.

bornadog
04-08-2022, 05:50 PM

Was Crameri allowed to step on a football ground during that period? At least Jones has been playing

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 05:59 PM
Was Crameri allowed to step on a football ground during that period? At least Jones has been playing

From memory he was training with other team mates and even hired a PT. I wouldn't think the level that Jones has been playing at is anywhere near what's needed. He now needs to get some serious work done in August and September to ready himself to the rigors of AFL pre-season training. I don't think it's a case of him flicking a switch.

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2022, 06:10 PM
From memory he was training with other team mates and even hired a PT. I wouldn't think the level that Jones has been playing at is anywhere near what's needed. He now needs to get some serious work done in August and September to ready himself to the rigors of AFL pre-season training. I don't think it's a case of him flicking a switch.

There would have been a huge mental toll for Crameri as well though…the turmoil of the legal action, the stigma, and knowing he’d have almost certainly played in a flag.

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 06:13 PM
There would have been a huge mental toll for Crameri as well though…the turmoil of the legal action, the stigma, and knowing he’d have almost certainly played in a flag.

Perhaps but I'm challenging the notion that because Jones has had a year off he will be freshened up. It may turn out that way but he's moving back into a highly professional environment and needs to start working harder now.

jeemak
04-08-2022, 06:38 PM
Crameri played the first two games of the season after his suspension and then struggled with hip soreness that resulted in him having season ending surgery. He wasn't great in his two games that year, granted.

Not sure playing football in 2016 would have been great for his hip either, so don't think he's a great example to use on how Jones will come back.

Bullies
04-08-2022, 06:59 PM
While I remain hopeful regarding Jones I've mentioned before that having a year off didn't help Crameri that much. The other issue is once you get over 30 the game catches you up very quickly. It is only the elite still going at 33/34 at the level. Hope to be proven wrong but 2 years for me would be sufficient.

azabob
04-08-2022, 07:21 PM
ROUND 21 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Saturday 6 August, 4.35pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Bailey Williams, Alex Keath, Zaine Cordy
HB: Adam Treloar, Sam Darcy, Bailey Dale
C: Ed Richards, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Jason Johanissen, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
Int: Rhylee West, Lachlan McNeil, Caleb Daniel, Riley Garcia

In: Adam Treloar, Sam Darcy, Lachlan McNeil, Alex Keath
Out: Buku Khamis (omitted), Robbie McComb (omitted), Mitch Hannan (omitted), Ryan Gardner (calf)

azabob
04-08-2022, 07:23 PM
According to this emergencies are

Stefan Martin, Laith Vandermeer, Toby McLean and Buku Khamis.

azabob
04-08-2022, 07:25 PM
Gardner with a calf injury will be missed. He’s obviously been in good form.

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 07:28 PM
ROUND 21 TEAM

Marvel Stadium

B: Bailey Williams, Alex Keath, Zaine Cordy
HB: Adam Treloar, Sam Darcy, Bailey Dale
C: Ed Richards, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Jason Johanissen, Josh Bruce, Josh Dunkley
F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
Int: Rhylee West, Lachlan McNeil, Caleb Daniel, Riley Garcia

Out: Buku Khamis (omitted), Robbie McComb (omitted), Mitch Hannan (omitted), Ryan Gardner (calf)

Mixed emotions, great to have Treloar and Darcy as the ins but losing Gardner with an injury and Khamis being omitted is a blow.
I though Khamis has been performing fairly well and Gards would have been handy against them

hujsh
04-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Mixed emotions, great to have Treloar and Darcy as the ins but losing Gardner with an injury and Khamis being omitted is a blow.
I though Khamis has been performing fairly well and Gards would have been handy against them

I guess this indicates Darcy is taking the role Buku was playing. It's a role I wouldn't hate moving Keath into if Gardner can come back quickly.

bornadog
04-08-2022, 07:36 PM
Gardner with a calf injury will be missed. He’s obviously been in good form.
Calf could take some time

1eyedog
04-08-2022, 07:36 PM

True but many of the Essendon boys came back hard. I think they won 12 matches in 2017 after coming off the banned 12 month period. To be fair the peds may still have been coursing through their rotted veins.

Prince Imperial
04-08-2022, 07:45 PM
After watching the VFL last weekend it is mindboggling that Vandermeer has been named as an emergency.

josie
04-08-2022, 07:59 PM
After watching the VFL last weekend it is mindboggling that Vandermeer has been named as an emergency.

Agree. What would Cleary, Butler, Bedendo & Maclean (even though he too is an emergency) be thinking? VDM to my eye is a panic/turnover merchant and an extremely unreliable girl kick. Hope he proves me totally wrong.

jeemak
04-08-2022, 08:08 PM
See! I told you Bevo said key defence wasn't a priority for us in the presser!

Only two key defenders came in. Plus a small defender. See!

GVGjr
04-08-2022, 08:13 PM

Agree. What would Cleary, Butler, Bedendo & Maclean (even though he too is an emergency) be thinking? VDM to my eye is a panic/turnover merchant and an extremely unreliable girl kick. Hope he proves me totally wrong.

Same here but Martin is also an interesting emergency.

hujsh
04-08-2022, 08:15 PM

haha

Grantysghost
04-08-2022, 08:16 PM
My video to Bevo worked.

https://youtu.be/unNsaaCJSC4

josie
04-08-2022, 08:39 PM

Agree. However to contrast with VDM, Martin’s form in vfl from prior 2 matches to most recent (which I did not watch) has been very good, incl. around the ground work and even kicking a goal or two.

SquirrelGrip
04-08-2022, 08:41 PM

That’s two weeks in a row he’s been named there. Only reason is back up for English. I wonder if Tim is carrying something?

kruder
04-08-2022, 09:03 PM

Just goes to show you were Hunter is at.

Grantysghost
04-08-2022, 09:43 PM

Will he play again for the dogs is the big question.

MrMahatma
04-08-2022, 09:57 PM
ROUND 21 TEAM

Marvel Stadium

Buku a shame and hopefully Gardner not out too long. On balance though, the team is much stronger.

kruder
04-08-2022, 10:06 PM
Still got my fingers crossed for Buku, has improved a lot this year with plenty to work on still. I think we have given him enough opportunity this year that he can start to believe that is is good enough to be a best 22 player.

Like many, massive year next year for him.

Dry Rot
04-08-2022, 10:33 PM

The non-election of O'Brien over the last 2 weeks does not bode well for him.

Scorlibo
04-08-2022, 10:46 PM
Buku seems very stiff, but I suppose that's the price you pay to get Sam Darcy in the side. I think Buku could offer more than Bruce in the forward/ruck role right now, but will very happily be proven wrong.

bornadog
04-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Other than Gardner not playing, is this the strongest Bulldog team we could possibly put on the park?

Scorlibo
04-08-2022, 10:53 PM
Other than Gardner not playing, is this the strongest Bulldog team we could possibly put on the park?

Definitely close to our best. Hunter would be an improvement on paper.

1eyedog
04-08-2022, 11:06 PM

100%

MrMahatma
04-08-2022, 11:32 PM
100%

Doc?

1eyedog
04-08-2022, 11:33 PM
Doc?

Forgot about Doc. What I do like though is Richards on a wing.

Grantysghost
04-08-2022, 11:35 PM
Doc?

Treloar has his spot.

jeemak
05-08-2022, 01:16 AM
Doc would be a walk up if he could walk properly.

A fit in body and mind Hunter plays as well, as does Gardner. Outside of those three it's about as close as we can get to putting the strongest team we can on the park.

Now it's just up to the players to not shit the bed for extended periods of the game. We have to win three to be a chance of making finals, and we should win all three if we play our best footy.

Mantis
05-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Forgot about Doc. What I do like though is Richards on a wing.

I actually hate even the thought of him playing anywhere other than in defence.

Grantysghost
05-08-2022, 09:16 AM
Doc would be a walk up if he could walk properly.

A fit in body and mind Hunter plays as well, as does Gardner. Outside of those three it's about as close as we can get to putting the strongest team we can on the park.

Now it's just up to the players to not shit the bed for extended periods of the game. We have to win three to be a chance of making finals, and we should win all three if we play our best footy.

Duryea two weeks in the VFL, be interesting to see if he's there another week as that would indicate selection to me. Treloar going back might be favoured.
Duryea looked fine last week to me.

azabob
05-08-2022, 09:23 AM
I actually hate even the thought of him playing anywhere other than in defence.

Yep, we've tried Richards HF, wing and it just doesn't work for whatever reason.

1eyedog
05-08-2022, 09:30 AM
His confidence is sky high reckon he'll have a big one. Hoping he stays there it suits his skill set although may detract from his intercepting ability.

azabob
05-08-2022, 09:40 AM
His confidence is sky high reckon he'll have a big one. Hoping he stays there it suits his skill set although may detract from his intercepting ability.

Yes wing does suit Richards skill set, but when he has been played there he literally struggles to get the ball more than 15 times.

Scorlibo
05-08-2022, 10:27 AM
Richards is our best intercepting player in a year where we're ranked nearly last for intercepts. Hope he stays behind the ball personally.

Axe Man
05-08-2022, 10:45 AM
The flip side of Richards on the wing is Williams back. It's a lose/lose situation.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2022, 10:46 AM
The flip side of Richards on the wing is Williams back. It's a lose/lose situation.

Realistically the selection on paper position wise means very little for Bevo.

Axe Man
05-08-2022, 10:53 AM
Realistically the selection on paper position wise means very little for Bevo.

For sure, I don't expect them to line up like that, was just agreeing with the comments that Richards should stay back.

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2022, 11:24 AM

Who is playing the other wing at present?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2022, 11:30 AM
I'm a little disappointed Buku has been dropped.

His form has been one of the highlights in recent weeks.

bornadog
05-08-2022, 11:32 AM
I'm a little disappointed Buku has been dropped.

His form has been one of the highlights in recent weeks.

I agree. I think he has been solid in defence.

Who would you drop for Buku?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2022, 11:35 AM
I agree. I think he has been solid in defence.

Who would you drop for Buku?

Bruce and play Darcy forward.

I'd prefer Buku to Cordy too. One is potentially our future, one is not.

Axe Man
05-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Who is playing the other wing at present?

Bazlenka has been named there.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2022, 11:52 AM
For sure, I don't expect them to line up like that, was just agreeing with the comments that Richards should stay back.

Yep agree also. Has had an excellent season there.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 12:55 PM
Laith Vandermeer will come into our 22 for the Retro Round clash against Fremantle, with Jason Johannisen (ankle) to miss.

kruder
05-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Laith Vandermeer will come into our 22 for the Retro Round clash against Fremantle, with Jason Johannisen (ankle) to miss.

Oh no

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2022, 12:58 PM

This does not excite me. He has been somewhat underwhelming since injury in the VFL.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 01:00 PM
This does not excite me. He has been somewhat underwhelming since injury in the VFL.

It's interesting that he is ahead of both Hunter (not one of the list emergencies) and McLean in team selection.

bornadog
05-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Agree. I would have preferred Scott in

Axe Man
05-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Would have preferred McLean. Toby to be the sub?

Axe Man
05-08-2022, 01:03 PM
Agree. I would have preferred Scott in

He hasn't played in a month, needs to return via the VFL.

G-Mo77
05-08-2022, 01:04 PM
McLean? What's he got to do? Far out.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Would have preferred McLean. Toby to be the sub?

Looks more likely now doesn't it but it could be McComb.

Happy Days
05-08-2022, 01:07 PM
I don't seem to mind LVDM as much as the rest of you, and it makes sense for him to come in for JJ given the role that JJ was playing.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 01:11 PM
I don't seem to mind LVDM as much as the rest of you, and it makes sense for him to come in for JJ given the role that JJ was playing.

It's a good way of looking at it but his form in the VFL hasn't really screamed that he should be promoted.
I don't think the difference between JJ and VDM will mean that much in the scheme of things.

Scorlibo
05-08-2022, 01:11 PM

For sure, on a like for like basis he's the best replacement.

I don't mind him, he's played some good games up forward and always seems to bring energy, but as others have pointed out his VFL form hasn't been great.

hujsh
05-08-2022, 01:23 PM
JJ hasn't really contributed much either anyway

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2022, 01:25 PM

He is one of the few players with genuine foot speed.

The Underdog
05-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Bruce and play Darcy forward.

I'd prefer Buku to Cordy too. One is potentially our future, one is not.

Sure but they also don’t play the same role. So if you drop Cordy and keep Buku, you’re short a key defender. I like Buku in that 3rd defender role but also reckon he was found out to a degree last week. Expect Darcy plays that role this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2022, 01:48 PM
Sure but they also don’t play the same role. So if you drop Cordy and keep Buku, you’re short a key defender. I like Buku in that 3rd defender role but also reckon he was found out to a degree last week. Expect Darcy plays that role this week.

I get it but our back half is a shambles so at this point my priority would be to play players who can potentially offer us something in the future. I guess that's me giving this year away to a degree.

I expect if we lose v Freo, Buku comes straight back in and plays the last two.

josie
05-08-2022, 01:58 PM
He is one of the few players with genuine foot speed.

Who is one of worst goal kicks in side and to my recollection turns ball over a bit. He has had some good games in past in seniors so go the Flying Dutchman!!

Scraggers
05-08-2022, 02:00 PM

Same ... I like his speed

Go_Dogs
05-08-2022, 03:27 PM
Great to see Darcy selected. He’ll take some time to adjust but he’s looked great in the bits and pieces (admittedly not heaps) I’ve seen of him at VFL level this year.

Buku out is tough - he’s coming along nicely. He needs a bit more strength in the contest, but has shown he’s a player we should continue to develop and play, providing he keeps improving.

VDM for JJ makes sense. Similar role and similar way of typing their name.

I’m mainly glad McNeil is back in. I know he’s not a star, but his defensive work has been important for us and he’s comfortable to play that role and not ball hunt. We need it.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 03:45 PM
Great to see Darcy selected. He’ll take some time to adjust but he’s looked great in the bits and pieces (admittedly not heaps) I’ve seen of him at VFL level this year.

Buku out is tough - he’s coming along nicely. He needs a bit more strength in the contest, but has shown he’s a player we should continue to develop and play, providing he keeps improving.

VDM for JJ makes sense. Similar role and similar way of typing their name.

I’m mainly glad McNeil is back in. I know he’s not a star, but his defensive work has been important for us and he’s comfortable to play that role and not ball hunt. We need it.

If getting possession numbers up were that important to Bevo he would have Hunter and McLean as straight ins but clearly he sees some value in McNeil and Vandermeer with what they will bring.

kruder
05-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Just watching Daniels highlights over his 150 games I'd love to see him forward for a few weeks. With the structure up there now and with JJ out, I think we need to add a little quality going inside 50 with the talent we have there.

GVGjr
05-08-2022, 04:17 PM
Just watching Daniels highlights over his 150 games I'd love to see him forward for a few weeks. With the structure up there now and with JJ out, I think we need to add a little quality going inside 50 with the talent we have there.

He's a terrific back man and his ability to get us out of tight situations is invaluable but I do think he could really add something to our forward line. Good suggestion Kruder.

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2022, 04:27 PM
Who is one of worst goal kicks in side and to my recollection turns ball over a bit. He has had done good games in past in seniors so go the Flying Dutchman!!

I did say he can run fast.
Hoping at some point that he finds a second skill of some sort.

bornadog
05-08-2022, 04:33 PM
I did say he can run fast.
Hoping at some point that he finds a second skill of some sort.

I am not sold on him yet. He has proven zero.

In 29 games he has kicked 18 goals and has had 2 tackles a game. Hardly small forward material

Grantysghost
05-08-2022, 05:00 PM

Good news love his pressure.

Prince Imperial
05-08-2022, 05:11 PM
13 disposals, one goal and one tackle recorded in VDM's last two VFL matches. The lowest ranked and second lowest ranked player for fantasy points in these games.

I know stats aren't everything but with not many injuries on our list, I am astounded.

Mantis
05-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Good news love his pressure.

I love that he always gets injured. :rolleyes:

Grantysghost
05-08-2022, 05:14 PM
13 disposals, one goal and one tackle recorded in VDM's last two VFL matches. The lowest ranked and second lowest ranked player for fantasy points in these games.

I know stats aren't everything but with not many injuries on our list, I am astounded.

What were his pressure acts?

bornadog
05-08-2022, 05:15 PM
What were his pressure acts?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xT9DPJVjlYHwWsZRxm/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47guxqkdjnkjltnymiado5c2zzy5ua6vc2ctaslu k0&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

:D:D

Grantysghost
05-08-2022, 05:17 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/xT9DPJVjlYHwWsZRxm/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47guxqkdjnkjltnymiado5c2zzy5ua6vc2ctaslu k0&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

:D:D

Gold.

Grantysghost
05-08-2022, 05:18 PM
I love that he always gets injured. :rolleyes:

I remember the prelim early doors, man he was good. Just need to harness his madness.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-08-2022, 09:04 PM

Naughton and JUH agree also

FrediKanoute
05-08-2022, 09:09 PM
The in's this wee are interesting:

Darcy - form has been good and with finals a possibility getting him a game wont be easy so good to see what he can offer. Be interesting where he plays;

Keath - is he a swap for Gardiner or a swap for Khamis? Would he have gotten a game if Gardiner hadn't been injured?

Treloar - fair enough - was missed last week and has been in good form;

McNeil - almost an admission that they got his dropping last week wrong.

In terms of who is out, Khamis to me is the most interesting - he has gone from being praised for his efforts v Melbourne to playing in the 2's after a trip to Geelong where the coach indicated that it wasn't the backline's fault....

Also interesting is who didn't get picked - Hunter and McLean not selected. Are their cards stamped?

azabob
05-08-2022, 09:12 PM
The in's this wee are interesting:

Darcy - form has been good and with finals a possibility getting him a game wont be easy so good to see what he can offer. Be interesting where he plays;

Keath - is he a swap for Gardiner or a swap for Khamis? Would he have gotten a game if Gardiner hadn't been injured?

Treloar - fair enough - was missed last week and has been in good form;

McNeil - almost an admission that they got his dropping last week wrong.

In terms of who is out, Khamis to me is the most interesting - he has gone from being praised for his efforts v Melbourne to playing in the 2's after a trip to Geelong where the coach indicated that it wasn't the backline's fault....

Also interesting is who didn't get picked - Hunter and McLean not selected. Are their cards stamped?

My take is Darcy for Khamis and Keath for Gardiner.

On Hunter and McLean, maybe. Hopefully McLean stays on the list ahead of say McComb.

mjp
05-08-2022, 09:31 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the match-ups will be but forward for Freo will be:

Taberner and Lobb + a bit of the Darcy/Logue combo at times.
- I'm not sure Khamis is a match up for any of them.

Frederick - who I don't think Khamis is a good match-up for at all - he's all leg speed and up and back.
Schultz - who is kind of the opposite of an opponent I would want for Khamis - just all physicality and 'smarts' and being annoying and drawing free kicks and tap ons etc.
Walters - who I think Khamis *could* play on but he is a really smart player who prob needs an experienced defender.

Outside of that, I think you will see resting mids like Mundy, Serong, O'Driscoll (who is back in) and even Tucker and Brayshaw going through there - again, I don't think those resting mid types are the sort of players we want to play Khamis against at this stage of his development. The way they slide from forward to mid constantly and change roles can be tricky for young players and from what I've seen we are trying to use Khamis as a bit of an anchor (eg. vs Fritsch) when he plays back.

I'm prob off-base but I just think with young players when the role isn't clear it's very hard for them to be successful - and to me vs the Freo front half mish-mash it would be very tricky finding a suitable match-up.

FrediKanoute
06-08-2022, 02:08 AM
Fair enough MJP. Makes sense though your analysis scares the sh*t out of me.

Who/where will our Darcy play?

mjp
06-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Fair enough MJP. Makes sense though your analysis scares the sh*t out of me.

Who/where will our Darcy play?

How come? Freo aren’t great forward of centre...I just think Khamis needs to play on an oppo mid sizer who is a stay at home forward at this stage...more 3rd tall types than small...

I assume Darcy plays back...prob high-ish vs Lobb.

Mutz
06-08-2022, 02:26 PM
I'm excited to see how our forward line works with Cody, Westie and VDM. Have all 3 played together before?

jeemak
06-08-2022, 02:31 PM
I'm excited to see how our forward line works with Cody, Westie and VDM. Have all 3 played together before?

It's a good question - and after a quick look it doesn't appear so. If all bring some pressure, along with McNeil, Fremantle should find it tough to clear the area. Hopefully they can on the end of some as well, we'll need a good spread of goal kickers to win today.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-08-2022, 02:33 PM

Me too our fiery threesome. I don't believe they've been in the ones together before so look out for our tenacious flying midgets.