PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 23 v Hawthorn at UTas Stadium on Sunday

Scraggers
27-07-2022, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 22 match against GWS for our Round 23 match against Hawthorn at University of Tasmania Stadium on Sunday arvo.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
13-08-2022, 09:29 AM
Bump

westbulldog
13-08-2022, 05:39 PM
Out
Martin McNeill Cordy

In
Khamis Schache Garcia or McLean

SlimPickens
13-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Out
Vandermeer, Martin and Cordy

In
Keath, Schache and McLean

Scraggers
13-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Out
Martin McNeill Cordy

In
Khamis Schache Garcia or McLean

Agree with this ... If not Schache, Keath

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2022, 08:56 PM
Out - Martin and McNeil

In - Buku and Garcia. They were both unlucky to be dropped IMO

Time for Martin and Keith to hang up the boots.

MrMahatma
13-08-2022, 09:04 PM
Bruce was better this weekend, he’ll come back in.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-08-2022, 09:38 PM
Bruce was better this weekend, he’ll come back in.

Bruce to replace Martin. Buku to sub and Smith out

bornadog
14-08-2022, 12:41 AM
In: Schache, Mclean

Out: Martin, McNeil

Dry Rot
14-08-2022, 12:48 AM
Can someone explain to me how VDM and McNeill get picked ahead of Garcia?

josie
14-08-2022, 01:26 AM
Out: McNeill, VDM, Cordy (talk he might be suspended)
In: Maclean, Garcia, Khamis

The bulldog tragician
14-08-2022, 10:31 AM
In: Schache, McClean

Out: Martin, McNeil

McLean….!!!!! Sorry BAD, could not resist.
Surely they won’t play Martin again…but selections have been so perplexing this year.

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 10:48 AM
I suspect it will be
Out: Martin and Vandermeer
In: Bruce and McLean

O'Brien on standby for Cordy if he is suspended

If Bruce was managed not omitted then he has to come back in this week especially given at the end of next week it's either curtains for the season or there is a week off before finals.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 12:29 PM
I suspect it will be
Out: Martin and Vandermeer
In: Bruce and McLean

O'Brien on standby for Cordy if he is suspended

If Bruce was managed not omitted then he has to come back in this week especially given at the end of next week it's either curtains for the season or there is a week off before finals.

An unfortunate fact is:

The only finals the dogs won in the last 5 years were won without Bruce in the team.

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 12:54 PM
An unfortunate fact is:

The only finals the dogs won in the last 5 years were won without Bruce in the team.

In fairness to Bruce he has been with us just 3 of those 5 years and was injured last year when we got to the GF.
Given his form in 2021 I think we would have been a better side with him available.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 01:20 PM
In fairness to Bruce he has been with us just 3 of those 5 years and was injured last year when we got to the GF.
Given his form in 2021 I think we would have been a better side with him available.
Agree with all of this.

But he is not in 2021 form and bringing him back too early has not helped our chances so far.

The unfortunate consequence of having a messiah complex at the club is that we risk overlooking quality contributions from ‘no-names’ who have contributed success when treated with some respect.

one who comes to mind is Young. Last night he had 18 possessions and 9 marks against Melbourne (a reasonable team). I didn’t see the game so if others say they were crap possessions and marks I can’t argue against that.

anfo27
14-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Out
McNeil, VDM & Martin

In
Garcia, McClean & Bruce

I like McNeil's pace, pressure & tackling but horrible with the ball & a poor finisher. Would he make a good tagger or back pocket player who i think would be good for someone like a Pickett type?

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 01:29 PM
Agree with all of this.

But he is not in 2021 form and bringing him back too early has not helped our chances so far.

The unfortunate consequence of having a messiah complex at the club is that we risk overlooking quality contributions from ‘no-names’ who have contributed success when treated with some respect.

one who comes to mind is Young. Last night he had 18 possessions and 9 marks against Melbourne (a reasonable team). I didn’t see the game so if others say they were crap possessions and marks I can’t argue against that.

We got that wrong and should have 'managed' him at least a week earlier than we did.
Given Martin didn't grasp his chance and Sweet is once again behind in the pecking order late in the season it probably comes down to Bruce or Schache to replace Martin for one last roll of chance to win and maybe make a final.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 01:42 PM
We got that wrong and should have 'managed' him at least a week earlier than we did.
Given Martin didn't grasp his chance and Sweet is once again behind in the pecking order late in the season it probably comes down to Bruce or Schache to replace Martin for one last roll of chance to win and maybe make a final.
In their last 4 games Schache has had twice as many disposals, twice as many hitouts and twice as many goals as Bruce.

He has also made the mistake of bringing unfortunate attention to himself by kicking 10 goals against inferior opponents in his 2 vfl games.

So he is nowhere near a selection option.

Correct me if I’m wrong but last year against Hawthorn in Tasmania it was the ruck that destroyed us, and neither Bruce nor Schache offer anything there.

hujsh
14-08-2022, 01:48 PM
An unfortunate fact is:

Either this is the most useless of all the useless stats you've ever presented us with or you're suggesting that we'd have lost against Essendon in 2021 if Bruce had not been injured. After all Bruce has only been with us for 2 complete seasons making the 5 years point rather misleading.

Which of the two is true?

Danjul
14-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Either this is the most useless of all the useless stats you've ever presented us with or you're suggesting that we'd have lost against Essendon in 2021 if Bruce had not been injured. After all Bruce has only been with us for 2 complete seasons making the 5 years point rather misleading.

We obviously disagree on how to read English.

We have won 3 finals in 5 years. Fact. (Yes, they were last year)
Bruce didn’t play in any of them. Fact. (Yes, he was at the club last year)

Where am I saying
1. Bruce has been there 5 years?
2. Anything about Bruce and Essendon?

So let’s try again.

The club can win important games. Bruce is not necessarily essential for that to happen.

1eyedog
14-08-2022, 04:06 PM

Pretty sure he's just saying that any aspirations to win a final shouldn't / don't hinge on Bruce.

Could also be alluding to the Barry Hall paradox of good players who go missing in big finals. Baz was alright I should have said Gary Rowan but he's not a good player.

Ultimately I think he's saying that he doesn't rate Bruce. I prefer Schache over Bruce now too but that's not gonna happen. I wish Schache could have been played as a leading full forward for a year. He's not the big strong aggressive player we've tried to turn him into. He's essentially a 188cm Fritsch type player in a 199cm body.

Agree on Bruce providing a small sample size.

Grantysghost
14-08-2022, 05:09 PM

Where am I saying

So let’s try again.

The club can win important games. Bruce is not necessarily essential for that to happen.

Fun fact Bruce's first final was against the Saints.

He's never played in a winning final.

Grantysghost
14-08-2022, 05:16 PM
Agree with all of this.

Young was very good last night.

hujsh
14-08-2022, 05:51 PM

Where am I saying

So let’s try again.

Given your new focus seems to be Bruce my assumption was that you were taking a pot shot at him. It seemed to be the implication at least given the general context of who was writing it.

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 05:58 PM

Fully agree, I'd also say the same about most players.

Danjul
14-08-2022, 08:06 PM
Given your new focus seems to be Bruce my assumption was that you were taking a pot shot at him. It seemed to be the implication at least given the general context of who was writing it.
My only focus In the last few years has been the team getting the best return in home and away games because that’s what I am paying good money for. And as everyone can see I don’t believe that has happened.

Despite having players with excellent attributes I haven’t seen those talents translate into success often enough for my liking.

Too often I see selection based upon name ( seems to work both for and against) and not current form.

The fact that Bruce, as a recent example, was selected early for 2 and 3 possession games fitted the bill perfectly.

I’m not taking a pot shot at him in any way. He does his best whenever he runs onto the ground. And, when fit, he has delivered admirably.

What I am having a shot at is the selection committee. ( who probably get into games for free)

Mofra
14-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Hawks have a very tall backline - would a third tall forward just play into their hands?
Bruce has been woeful and Schache can't be trusted to compete. Martin is cooked but still been out-performing Sweet.

josie
14-08-2022, 08:53 PM
Hawks have a very tall backline - would a third tall forward just play into their hands?
Bruce has been woeful and Schache can't be trusted to compete. Martin is cooked but still been out-performing Sweet.

How about someone agile like Khamis?

azabob
14-08-2022, 09:10 PM
Surely we bring in Tim O’Brien to intercept every hawks kick inside 50…

Dry Rot
14-08-2022, 11:34 PM
I like McNeil's pace, pressure & tackling but horrible with the ball & a poor finisher. Would he make a good tagger or back pocket player who i think would be good for someone like a Pickett type?

Interesting idea. Has McNeil been tried down back?

Dry Rot
14-08-2022, 11:36 PM
Next game could be more interesting than it appears.

Luke Beveridge's side needs to end a 14-year winless run against the Hawks in Tassie next Sunday

https://www.afl.com.au/news/817746/the-run-home-pies-hit-the-wall-huge-r23-on-the-cards

Sedat
14-08-2022, 11:53 PM
Next game could be more interesting than it appears.

Luke Beveridge's side needs to end a 14-year winless run against the Hawks in Tassie next Sunday

https://www.afl.com.au/news/817746/the-run-home-pies-hit-the-wall-huge-r23-on-the-cards
I was at that game in 2008. Tom Williams had a breakout performance on Buddy Franklin, beating him in several key one-on-one marking contests even though Buddy got 5 dirty Joe the goose cheapies out the back. We smashed them that day and only poor kicking stopped us from getting a big percentage booster. We peaked early that season and ran out of puff by the time finals rolled around, but that performance in Tassie was very powerful.

jeemak
15-08-2022, 12:33 AM
I was at that game in 2008. Tom Williams had a breakout performance on Buddy Franklin, beating him in several key one-on-one marking contests even though Buddy got 5 dirty Joe the goose cheapies out the back. We smashed them that day and only poor kicking stopped us from getting a big percentage booster. We peaked early that season and ran out of puff by the time finals rolled around, but that performance in Tassie was very powerful.

Murphy took one of the most underrated screamers of all time that game as well. Absolutely pure leap running hard at a contest, knee out into ride position and bounce off the player. Lovely.

bornadog
15-08-2022, 09:41 AM
Murphy took one of the most underrated screamers of all time that game as well. Absolutely pure leap running hard at a contest, knee out into ride position and bounce off the player. Lovely.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FaJ93sJakAAWYjV?format=jpg&name=small

GVGjr
15-08-2022, 09:43 AM

We need good distributors of the football in the back line especially from our running defenders.
McNeil would need to improve his kicking skills to fit that criteria.

Mofra
15-08-2022, 10:01 AM
TBH I'd try VDM down back before McNeill.
I like McNeill's pressure, it's an underrated aspect of play. Richmond basically won three flags off forward half pressure

azabob
15-08-2022, 10:51 AM
We need to lock down Bruest and Gunston and that should limit the Hawks scoring opportunities.

Does Duryea need to come in this week to play on Bruest?

Does Gardiner play on Gunston?

Either Keath or Cordy on Koschitzke

azabob
15-08-2022, 11:28 AM
For VFL watchers is Luke Cleary going to be more Dale Morris or more Bailey Dale?

josie
15-08-2022, 12:20 PM
For VFL watchers is Luke Cleary going to be more Dale Morris or more Bailey Dale?

I think more Bailey Dale but not sure he has been given role to lockdown or wear oppo forwards like a glove. He might be able to do so but I think he is more of a distributor & interceptor type from my vfl watching.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2022, 12:39 PM

Neither for mine. More defensive than Dale (even though he is good there) and better disposal than Moz. Not as good a mover I think as Dale nor as elite a defender as Moz.

Maybe like a taller Doc?

soupman
15-08-2022, 12:43 PM
I think he will be basically Bailey Williams as a defender last year pre Grand Final shitshow.

GVGjr
15-08-2022, 12:48 PM

He's an interesting one to raise a question about as I was only talking to another supporter about him and he compared him to Dane Rampe. Soup's Williams comparison might be close to the mark.

FWIW, I don't think he will get close to Morris and he hasn't got Dale's run and hasn't quite shown Dale's penetrating kicking abilities.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2022, 01:24 PM
Without Mitch Lewis, I am not too concerned about the Hawks height up forward. Kosi + Serong who is 19yo and 193cm.

Whatever happens with Zaine, I'd bring in either Khamis. Gardner and Darcy to take on the talls.

Scorlibo
15-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Cleary's kicking reminds me of Shane Biggs, not especially damaging and a bit awkward but mostly very effective.

His biggest strength seems to be his decision making, chooses good options.

GVGjr
15-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Cleary's kicking reminds me of Shane Biggs, not especially damaging and a bit awkward but mostly very effective.

His biggest strength seems to be his decision making, chooses good options.

Yep, Footy smarts. I think he has a decent future with us but working out his role might be could be a challenge.

josie
15-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Neither for mine. More defensive than Dale (even though he is good there) and better disposal than Moz. Not as good a mover I think as Dale nor as elite a defender as Moz.

Maybe like a taller Doc?

Well said & agree-I thought of Doc too.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-08-2022, 02:06 PM
We have to own the stadium.

azabob
16-08-2022, 08:25 PM
I can feel a sick joke coming on and Cordy will be dropped.

Jeanette54
16-08-2022, 08:47 PM

Nooooooooooooo !!!

Mantis
17-08-2022, 10:47 AM

Who does he play on from Haw? He wouldn't be nimble enough to go with Gunston would he?

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 11:00 AM
Who does he play on from Haw? He wouldn't be nimble enough to go with Gunston would he?

That would be a hard match-up for him.

azabob
17-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Maybe Koschitzke.

As I said earlier in this thread Duyrea needs to come in to play on Bruest.

Gardner or Richards on Gunston?

bornadog
17-08-2022, 12:55 PM
Maybe Koschitzke.

Not Richards.

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 01:36 PM
Maybe Koschitzke.

Breust and Moore might be a handful for us.

Gardner on Gunston, Cordy on Kosi and I can't find a match-up for Darcy unless it's Darcy on Kosi.
Impey, O'Meara, Breust and Moore were the other forwards last week.
Would O'Brien or a fit Khamis be a better option than Darcy for this round?

Matching up on the smaller forwards could be a challenge for us.

bornadog
17-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Breust and Moore might be a handful for us.

Gardner on Gunston, Cordy on Kosi and I can't find a match-up for Darcy unless it's Darcy on Kosi.
Impey, O'Meara, Breust and Moore were the other forwards last week.
Would O'Brien or a fit Khamis be a better option than Darcy for this round?

Matching up on the smaller forwards could be a challenge for us.

Drop Martin and move Darcy to Fwd/Ruck and bring in either TOB or Buku for the backline.

Axe Man
17-08-2022, 04:41 PM
Drop Martin and move Darcy to Fwd/Ruck and bring in either TOB or Buku for the backline.

Why on earth would we throw Darcy into a role he hasn't been playing at any level in recent times in such an important game?

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2022, 05:02 PM
Why on earth would we throw Darcy into a role he hasn't been playing at any level in recent times in such an important game?

I am certainly not opposed to it. He has done it at VFL very effectively, just not since Martin has been back playing.

Could we play him as second ruck but with a backline role when not in the ruck.

He could take the resting ruckman when in the backline. A bit of time on McEvoy might be good for the experience.

bornadog
17-08-2022, 05:03 PM
I am certainly not opposed to it. He has done it at VFL very effectively, just not since Martin has been back playing.

He could take the resting ruckman when in the backline. A bit of time on McEvoy might be good for the experience.

Yes, good alternative

GVGjr
17-08-2022, 05:17 PM

Without Lewis, the Hawks went in with just two taller forwards last week, Kosi and Gunston.
Do you think he would be a decent option for Kosi?

If Martin gets dropped I think Bruce will be his replacement.

azabob
17-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Yes, good alternative

Not really.

Hawks used Koschiitzke as back up ruck last week.

Not sure Darcy will succeed as a lockdown defender - Yet.

Bulldog Joe
17-08-2022, 09:14 PM
Without Lewis, the Hawks went in with just two taller forwards last week, Kosi and Gunston.
Do you think he would be a decent option for Kosi?

If Martin gets dropped I think Bruce will be his replacement.

Not sure that Darcy should be considered as pure defender.
His strength is really aerial balls, but he won't defend leads very well.

He really needs to have licence to go for marks rather than defend a player. The benefit of playing against someone like McEvoy is learning how to get to contests more effectively.

dog town
18-08-2022, 08:16 AM
Interested to see where we are heading with our small forwards from a selection integrity POV. Weightman and West pressure well when it is in their direct area but their total pressure numbers are quite frankly not up to scratch recently, they are KPP numbers. Our inability to apply pressure is putting pressure on our team defence and our ability to play multiple key forwards. McNeil numbers were down last week as well.

I find both Weightman and West hard to judge because they bring so many other assets but they are simply not closing down enough space defensively at the moment. The narrative is they are both going well and I see lots of upside but if this is going well then we will be behind other teams from a pressure point of view.

Nobody really banging the door down so I’m not sure what the solution is but it needs to improve rapidly.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 10:19 AM
Interested to see where we are heading with our small forwards from a selection integrity POV. Weightman and West pressure well when it is in their direct area but their total pressure numbers are quite frankly not up to scratch recently, they are KPP numbers. Our inability to apply pressure is putting pressure on our team defence and our ability to play multiple key forwards. McNeil numbers were down last week as well.

I find both Weightman and West hard to judge because they bring so many other assets but they are simply not closing down enough space defensively at the moment. The narrative is they are both going well and I see lots of upside but if this is going well then we will be behind other teams from a pressure point of view.

Nobody really banging the door down so I’m not sure what the solution is but it needs to improve rapidly.

Weightman plays more like a mid sized forward getting his goals more from marks than most smaller forwards do. Thanks for the insights into the team defence.

hujsh
18-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Over what period?

I ask because I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers are down at least in part due to the strategies of the two teams we've recently played where they both spend long periods just retaining the ball moving it slowly and safely around.

mjp
18-08-2022, 12:38 PM
Weightman plays more like a mid sized forward getting his goals more from marks than most smaller forwards do. Thanks for the insights into the team defence.

Ummm.

Is that because he is a mid-sized forward?

Everytime I read or hear that Weightman is a small forward I realise I must be watching a different player. I am not criticising Weightman by saying this...but if we are expecting him to be Kozzy Pickett when he is (to use a player comparison I really don't like to make a point) Bailey Fritsch is frustrating.

West also isn't really a small forward. He has played that role reasonably well throughout the season but his instinct remains 'ball' rather than 'space' which is something the best pure forwards seem to have ingrained.

bornadog
18-08-2022, 01:18 PM
Sounds like Bruce to play this week and maybe one other change

Bulldog Joe
18-08-2022, 02:23 PM

If Bruce is picked we are not determined to do everything we can to win.

jeemak
18-08-2022, 02:38 PM
I guess the board needs a bit of a rev up, it's been somewhat flat for a few days.

ReLoad
18-08-2022, 03:01 PM

I''m already spewing up at the thought of it.

hujsh
18-08-2022, 03:10 PM
I guess the board needs a bit of a rev up, it's been somewhat flat for a few days.

I'm sure we'll be hearing quite a bit if Bruce is picked. If he's picked and we lose it'll be a looooooong summer.

Mantis
18-08-2022, 03:30 PM

Given the commentary from Bevo after he was left out of the team that faced GWS it was obvious he would be back this week.

What I don't get is how they can continue to pick a player who can't *!*!*!*!ing move?

MrMahatma
18-08-2022, 03:46 PM
It's pretty difficult to understand what Bruce is doing to get picked, and how Schache can be essentially a lock for a delisting.

DOG GOD
18-08-2022, 04:17 PM
Bruce is liked by Bevo. Schache isn’t.

bornadog
18-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Bruce is liked by Bevo. Schache isn’t.

It all has to do with effort and intensity. Unfortunately, as has been discussed on this board, Schache lacks the intensity.

DOG GOD
18-08-2022, 04:23 PM
It all has to do with effort and intensity. Unfortunately, as has been discussed on this board, Schache lacks the intensity.

And this is what confuses me about Schache.

He had the same intensity at Brisbane, yet we get him to our club.
He’s been on the list for how long? And played all of fwd, ruck and back, and still lacks the intensity required.
He obviously just doesn’t have that mental staple in his DNA

Should’ve been delisted years ago, if it was all about intensity.

Mantis
18-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Since his return there has been plenty of examples of Bruce walking/jogging when trying to apply offensive pressure.. does Bevo miss those examples and just notice how Bruce splits packs? (And there's been f-all pack splitting either... or possessions... or goals... or impact!)

bornadog
18-08-2022, 04:50 PM
Since his return there has been plenty of examples of Bruce walking/jogging when trying to apply offensive pressure.. does Bevo miss those examples and just notice how Bruce splits packs? (And there's been f-all pack splitting either... or possessions... or goals... or impact!)

Yeah, I am not backing Bruce, because he doesn't have the fitness level at this stage to be playing.

As mentioned earlier, I would put Darcy up forward, if we want the three talls, and bring in either Buku or TOB for the backline.

Danjul
18-08-2022, 05:28 PM
Bruce demands the best backman- - therefore we win.
Bruce straightens up the forward line - therefore we win.
Bruce mentors our forwards - therefore we win
Bruce can chop out in the ruck - therefore we win.
Bruce is a club man - therefore we win.

Obviously first choice.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 05:31 PM
Ummm.

Is that because he is a mid-sized forward?

Everytime I read or hear that Weightman is a small forward I realise I must be watching a different player. I am not criticising Weightman by saying this...but if we are expecting him to be Kozzy Pickett when he is (to use a player comparison I really don't like to make a point) Bailey Fritsch is frustrating.

West also isn't really a small forward. He has played that role reasonably well throughout the season but his instinct remains 'ball' rather than 'space' which is something the best pure forwards seem to have ingrained.

It's why I don't think a players height means that much in assessing the value of a player. As an example a 200cm defender is only good if he plays like you would expect a 200cm defender to play.

Weightman is more or less a mid sized forward because that is the way he plays with a playing style more based on marking than generating genuine crumbing goals like Kosi Pickett might offer.

bornadog
18-08-2022, 05:33 PM
It's why I don't think a players height means that much in assessing the value of a player. As an example a 200cm defender is only good if he plays like you would expect a 200cm defender to play.

Weightman is more or less a mid sized forward because that is the way he plays with a playing style more based on marking than generating genuine crumbing goals like Kosi Pickett might offer.

Be interesting to see how many goals he has kicked from set shots compared to crumbing. Both Weightman and Kosi have kicked 34 goals to date.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 05:34 PM

He was after all managed not dropped.
Bringing him back makes sense, if everything goes well this weekend with the results going our way he gets another week off after that.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Be interesting to see how many goals he has kicked from set shots compared to crumbing. Both Weightman and Kosi have kicked 34 goals to date.
He does crumb some goals but without knowing the stats behind each goal this season I'd say he would see himself more as a marking forward. He must be hard to match up on at times.

Bulldog Joe
18-08-2022, 05:51 PM
He was after all managed not dropped.
Bringing him back makes sense, if everything goes well this weekend with the results going our way he gets another week off after that.

and if he performs like he has since his return it is entirely probable he can take it easy with the rest of the list until pre-season.

angelopetraglia
18-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Sounds like Bruce will be back in. Martin out. That is one change from Bevo's presser you can have confidence in (Bevo mentioned that Bruce can pinch hit in the ruck).

1eyedog
18-08-2022, 05:58 PM

Why on earth would we provide a send off game for a cooked ruckman who has zero forward craft in such an important game?

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 05:59 PM
and if he performs like he has since his return it is entirely probable he can take it easy with the rest of the list until pre-season.

I don't agree with playing Bruce but it was always likely to happen. We measure his value very different to what we do with others.

Axe Man
18-08-2022, 06:01 PM
Why on earth would we provide a send off game for a cooked ruckman who has zero forward craft in such an important game?

I can't recall where I have called for Martin to remain (or Bruce to return) so not sure why you are addressing this to me? I simply don't think throwing Darcy forward at this stage is a good move.

hujsh
18-08-2022, 06:11 PM
I can't recall where I have called for Martin to remain (or Bruce to return) so not sure why you are addressing this to me? I simply don't think throwing Darcy forward at this stage is a good move.

Yeah it's not doing him any favours. Though he might just be good enough to pull it off despite that

jeemak
18-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Given the commentary from Bevo after he was left out of the team that faced GWS it was obvious he would be back this week.

What I don't get is how they can continue to pick a player who can't *!*!*!*!ing move?

Bevo commented on that, basically saying with key forwards you just don't know when they'll get their timing/ form back. They thought it could have been last week but they opted to rest him, and now hope it's this week.

Grantysghost
18-08-2022, 07:01 PM
Bevo commented on that, basically saying with key forwards you just don't know when they'll get their timing/ form back. They thought it could have been last week but they opted to rest him, and now hope it's this week.

He is certainly being picked on potential not form.

I think I'm ok with that considering it's a final in August.

Comparisons to Bruce 2020 are unfair he's in good shape just hasn't got his timing yet.

bornadog
18-08-2022, 07:25 PM
McNeil omitted
Bruce, Doc, TOB , McComb

azabob
18-08-2022, 07:25 PM
ROUND 23 TEAM
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 21 August, 1.10pm AEST
UTAS

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Zaine Cordy
HB: Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Bailey Dale
C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Josh Dunkley
F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Bruce
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
Int: Taylor Duryea, Lachie Hunter, Stefan Martin, Robbie McComb, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith, Rhylee West

In: Josh Bruce, Taylor Duryea, Tim O’Brien, Robbie McComb
Out: Lachlan McNeil (omitted)

azabob
18-08-2022, 07:27 PM
Bruce a certainty to play.

jeemak
18-08-2022, 07:32 PM
The Bruce McComb quinella FTW! Yeeha!

Scraggers
18-08-2022, 07:32 PM
Jacob Koschitzke omitted ??

Scraggers
18-08-2022, 07:34 PM
How can we have Steph Martin and Josh Bruce in the same team? It wont work

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 07:37 PM
Comparisons to Bruce 2020 are unfair he's in good shape just hasn't got his timing yet.

The comparison with 2020 are more around how Bruce was being picked despite being in very poor form.
I think he was managed not dropped that year as well.

I don't think we have any other option but to play him this week because we appear to be very reluctant to select Schache despite a BOG at Footscray.

Grantysghost
18-08-2022, 07:39 PM
The comparison with 2020 are more around how Bruce was being picked despite being in very poor form.

I don't think we have any other option but to play him this week because we appear to be very reluctant to select Schache despite a BOG at Footscray.

But BAD told me he was fat in 2020.

josie
18-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Why oh why McComb instead of Maclean on extended bench? Hope West is not dropped.

What are woofers guesses on who the 4 from interchange that will play? I’m hoping Duryea, Hunter, West and Smith, especially if wet weather. Guessing O’Brien is backup if one of our defenders is injured.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 07:51 PM
Some good ins and a predictable out.
Hawks have gone very small in their forward line and maybe Lynch might have to play forward.

They could be a genuine challenge for us.

hujsh
18-08-2022, 08:03 PM
Why oh why McComb instead of Maclean on extended bench? Hope West is not dropped.

What are woofers guesses on who the 4 from interchange that will play? I’m hoping Duryea, Hunter, West and Smith, especially if wet weather. Guessing O’Brien is backup if one of our defenders is injured.

I'd love to see McLean in but he hasn't played the last two weeks as a sub and with the VFL bye so sadly I think he's missed his chance for this year

Happy Days
18-08-2022, 08:11 PM
Even having McComb on the emergencies is absolute spew. As always if he’s selected I won’t be watching, the Carlton game is better anyway.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 08:14 PM
Even having McComb on the emergencies is absolute spew. As always if he’s selected I won’t be watching, the Carlton game is better anyway.

I really do admire your principles.

azabob
18-08-2022, 08:24 PM

Williams will be unlucky to miss.

I like your bench but swap Williams for Smith.

azabob
18-08-2022, 08:26 PM
Some good ins and a predictable out.
Hawks have gone very small in their forward line and maybe Lynch might have to play forward.

They could be a genuine challenge for us.

Also Hawks will push us in the ruck now they are playing 2 genuine ruckman.

Will be interesting how this all plays out.

G-Mo77
18-08-2022, 08:28 PM
I know they probably won't play but McComb and O'Brien on the extended bench?

bornadog
18-08-2022, 08:33 PM
I predict:

In Bruce, Doc

out McNeil, Martin

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 08:49 PM
I predict:

In Bruce, Doc

out McNeil, Martin

I think you've nailed it.

G-Mo77
18-08-2022, 09:11 PM
I predict:

In Bruce, Doc

out McNeil, Martin

It'd have to be, surely it couldn't be anything else. Right? Please reassure me.

Scraggers
18-08-2022, 09:27 PM
I predict:

In Bruce, Doc

out McNeil, Martin

I’d be happy with that

josie
18-08-2022, 09:41 PM
Williams will be unlucky to miss.

I like your bench but swap Williams for Smith.

Makes sense, Williams and Hunter as our wings. Smith or (gulp) McComb as sub.

Danjul
18-08-2022, 09:45 PM

Schache’s game against Adelaide was good. Played back and forward. Kicked as many goals as Naughton. Team highest number of marks. Dropped from the 22.

Then back for 4 games. Played well, got some goals. Team highest number of marks, equal highest and third highest.

Hasn’t looked soft in either the AFL or VFL in the second half of the season.

Hard to drop after that, thank god for Covid protocols.

1eyedog
18-08-2022, 10:00 PM
How can we have Steph Martin and Josh Bruce in the same team? It wont work

We won't. McComb won't play either. He simply can't.

hujsh
18-08-2022, 10:14 PM
Schache’s game against Adelaide was good. Played back and forward. Kicked as many goals as Naughton. Team highest number of marks. Dropped from the 22.

Then back for 4 games. Played well, got some goals. Team highest number of marks, equal highest and third highest.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/626/271/ec1.jpg

BornInDroopSt'54
18-08-2022, 11:51 PM
I really do admire your principles.

Haha.
Happy Days spitting it :)

Bullies
19-08-2022, 12:42 AM
The Bruce McComb quinella FTW! Yeeha! That was paying $101 on Sportsbet. Bevo cleaned up.

GVGjr
19-08-2022, 12:46 AM
While of course wanting a big Bulldogs win I also really want Naughton to kick at least 2 goals against the Hawks, to get to 50 goals in a season would be a nice achievement for him.

Bullies
19-08-2022, 12:47 AM
Even having McComb on the emergencies is absolute spew. As always if he’s selected I won’t be watching, the Carlton game is better anyway. I'm with you. I don't get it. You wouldn't think it is a must win game with both McComb and Bruce up for selection. That caps off our year i guess. I would rather Humphrey Bear at Full Forward the way Bruce is moving and reading the play.

Bullies
19-08-2022, 12:51 AM

What are woofers guesses on who the 4 from interchange that will play? I’m hoping Duryea, Hunter, West and Smith, especially if wet weather. Guessing O’Brien is backup if one of our defenders is injured. Please tell me this does not mean McComb will be left on the list for next year. I honestly thought he was never to be seen again once we have had our full list back.

hujsh
19-08-2022, 03:07 AM
Please tell me this does not mean McComb will be left on the list for next year. I honestly thought he was never to be seen again once we have had our full list back.

Nah he's played 13 games which considering he didn't play til round 6 means he has been a regular fixture in the team. If anything there's a non-zero chance he gets upgraded from rookie status to the main list (which hurts me to write)

kruder
19-08-2022, 09:52 AM
VDM better not be infront of West. Now that would be an injustice.

Axe Man
19-08-2022, 10:36 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/wvhSDwbj/horse.gif (https://postimages.org/)

1eyedog
19-08-2022, 10:51 AM

Nope certainly wasn't addressed at you I just leveraged off your post. It was used as an example to highlight just how bat crazy our MC is. Anything and everything is on the table.

I don't think Darcy forward is the go either, but I also didn't think bringing in Martin was a good idea either, but what do I know!

SquirrelGrip
19-08-2022, 10:52 AM

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2022, 11:12 AM
I'd really love to know WTF Beveirdge sees in McComb.

Best case scenario for me is that this is one of his 12-month love childs that ends up in the wilderness a short time after.

He simply shouldn't be on an AFL list.

azabob
19-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Best case scenario for me is that this is one of his 12-month love childs that ends up in the wilderness a short time after.

Yeah but we are stuck with them on the list for 12-48 months!!

Scorlibo
19-08-2022, 11:38 AM

My guess is that Bevo sees him as inside midfield depth. We don't have a heap of true inside types, players that will burrow in with a couple hanging off them and feed out, it's really just McLean at VFL level at the moment. I'd say the pecking order is Libba - Bont - Dunks - West - McComb - McLean. Perhaps with Bont running around injured and West playing well up forward Bevo sees McComb as the insurance policy, just spitballing.

bornadog
19-08-2022, 11:59 AM
My guess is that Bevo sees him as inside midfield depth. We don't have a heap of true inside types, players that will burrow in with a couple hanging off them and feed out, it's really just McLean at VFL level at the moment. I'd say the pecking order is Libba - Bont - Dunks - West - McComb - McLean. Perhaps with Bont running around injured and West playing well up forward Bevo sees McComb as the insurance policy, just spitballing.

Agree. He regularly gets 30 plus disposals in the VFL, so hard to ignore. If his skill level was better, he would be ok.

Mofra
19-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Agree. He regularly gets 30 plus disposals in the VFL, so hard to ignore. If his skill level was better, he would be ok.
He is a mature body on base salary, I'm comfortable with him. His kicking is not good but he can get the ball out while an opponent is hanging off him so can be useful.

Bullies
19-08-2022, 01:41 PM
Yeah but we are stuck with them on the list for 12-48 months!!Seriously would rather play one short on the list. Heis awful and wont improve as he is 28 next season.

Bullies
19-08-2022, 01:42 PM
He is a mature body on base salary, I'm comfortable with him. His kicking is not good but he can get the ball out while an opponent is hanging off him so can be useful. they don't hang off him they let him get the ball as they know he will butcher it.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2022, 02:00 PM
He is a mature body on base salary, I'm comfortable with him. His kicking is not good but he can get the ball out while an opponent is hanging off him so can be useful.

Mature body kind of implies he has a big body and uses it. He has the former, he doesn't use it.

At 27-28, there are far better options.

bornadog
19-08-2022, 06:03 PM
Final team

Out: McNeil, West and Martin

In: Bruce, R Smith and Doc

Surprised West out

dog town
19-08-2022, 06:04 PM
West out this week, saw that coming a mile away. Three tall forwards plus Weightman/West simply hasn’t been working. We probably need to find a way to get him some midfield time in 2023.

ReLoad
19-08-2022, 06:04 PM
Final team

Surprised West out

Sorry cant type, too busy SPEWING UP. our MC is utterly bonkers.

bornadog
19-08-2022, 06:05 PM
ROUND 23 TEAM
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 21 August, 1.10pm AEST
UTAS

B: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Zaine Cordy
HB: Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Bailey Dale
C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Laitham Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Josh Dunkley
F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Bruce
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
Int: Taylor Duryea, Lachie Hunter, Bailey Williams, Roarke Smith
Emg: Rhylee West, Stefan Martin, Tim O’Brien, Robbie McComb

In: Josh Bruce, Taylor Duryea, Roarke Smith
Out: Lachlan McNeil (omitted), Rhylee West (omitted), Stefan Martin (omitted)

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 06:06 PM
Final team

Surprised West out

Have you checked his pressure acts?

LVDM 19 v West 9.

This is how you can pick the side.

whythelongface
19-08-2022, 06:07 PM
I just don’t get the West omission. Sure he has tapered off slightly over the last couple of weeks but he brings hardness that we need.

GVGjr
Final team

Surprised West out

Same here BAD, I don't understand why he would be dropped but hopefully Roarke has a good game.
The other two were as you predicted.

bornadog
West out this week, saw that coming a mile away. Three tall forwards plus Weightman/West simply hasn’t been working. We probably need to find a way to get him some midfield time in 2023.

Last couple of weeks he has been poor, but I would prefer him in.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Anyone checking Scott's socials?

Axe Man
19-08-2022, 06:09 PM
Hawks with 2 debutants and have dropped Liam Shiels. Surely we can't drop this one. Surely.*

*I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

whythelongface
19-08-2022, 06:09 PM

LVDM 19 v West 9.

Wondering if that is the stat his omission is based on. What defines a pressure act - chasing a player? smother?

GVGjr
19-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Anyone checking Scott's socials?

I think he learned a lesson.

bornadog
19-08-2022, 06:12 PM

LVDM 19 v West 9.

GG you are spot on :D

kruder
19-08-2022, 06:13 PM
VDM luckiest player on the list no doubt about it.

bornadog
19-08-2022, 06:13 PM
VDM luckiest player on the list no doubt about it.

agree there

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2022, 06:17 PM
I'm not surprised about West. He's been ordinary for a while, save for a few small pieces in games.

Roarke back from oblivion is kind of... Weird. Martins omission obvious, and makes his selection last week all the more dumb.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 06:19 PM
GG you are spot on :D

Everything can be reduced to a few hand picked stats right ?!

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 06:21 PM
Wondering if that is the stat his omission is based on. What defines a pressure act - chasing a player? smother?

I found it somewhere before I'll see if I can dig it up again, I can't work out the search on here.

It has a few components.

I was being slightly facetious, I'm sure it's a few things. It's one thing Vandermeer does bring though that intensity without the pill.

West, I'm not as surprised as others I had him out the week before, has hit a bit of a wall but that's just age and experience I think.

Edit:

This is a deep dive into them : https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/34373379/afl-2022-champion-data-deep-dive-afl-best-pressure-players

This has the definition : https://www.championdata.com/glossary/afl/

angelopetraglia
19-08-2022, 06:22 PM
In: Daniel Howe, Jack Saunders, Max Lynch, Ned Long
Out: Emerson Jeka (Omitted), Jacob Koschitzke (Omitted), Jai Serong (Omitted), Jarman Impey (Injured), Liam Shiels (Omitted)
New: Ned Long, Jack Saunders

Hawks making a lot of changes and giving two debuts.

hujsh
19-08-2022, 06:33 PM

Last week I felt like a number of opportunities we had were the result of West's pressure or intelligence. Don't get it at all.

Dry Rot
19-08-2022, 06:38 PM
I just don’t get the West omission. Sure he has tapered off slightly over the last couple of weeks but he brings hardness that we need.

If I was West I would seek a trade to another club who might appreciate him.

Swoop
19-08-2022, 06:40 PM

Apparently only his dad can feel this way...

whythelongface
19-08-2022, 06:44 PM

Maybe he is just being freshened up for finals. Either that or doesn’t like Tasmanian scallops.

Mofra
19-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Out: Emerson Jeka (Omitted), Jacob Koschitzke (Omitted), Jai Serong (Omitted), Jarman Impey (Injured), Liam Shiels (Omitted)

Ned Long is a tall - throwing him in defence?
I liked Max Lynch as a ruck last year. Decent tank for a ruck.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 07:07 PM
Any idea how we fit all of Treloar, Duryea, Daniel, Dale into the back half?

Maybe Treloar will go back to a wing but Williams and Hunter were there most of last week.

Be interesting to see.

josie
19-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Hope West is sub.

dadsgirl16
19-08-2022, 07:23 PM
Got a message from friend about West omission with lots of expletives LOTS!
Will pass on the pressure act stats…not sure how I’ll go

mjp
19-08-2022, 07:36 PM
Got a message from friend about West omission with lots of expletives LOTS!
Will pass on the pressure act stats…not sure how I’ll go

West has had an improved season and offers 'something'...but are we being too precious here.

He plays forward and hasn't kicked a goal in a month.
He plays forward and hasn't kicked more than 1 goal in a game in 2-months...in fact, he has kicked 2 goals total in the past 6 weeks.
He had BETTER be playing forward as he hasn't had more than 11 touches in a game since (ironically) the last time we played Hawthorn.

I think you will find I have been a huge supporter of West and earlier in the year called for him to be given assurances that he would get the next 6-8 games to play and WOULD NOT be dropped under any circumstances...well, he's had that chance and he's been OK but he hasn't been great lately, he just hasn't.

Please spare me the pressure act stats. The ball goes inside our 50m area enough and at some point if you want to stay in the side you have to actually get it/impact with ball in hand.

whythelongface
19-08-2022, 07:36 PM
Hope West is sub.

Named in the VFL team

G-Mo77
19-08-2022, 08:02 PM
You've got to be kidding me. West dropped? These guys are taking the piss. Out of contact as well I believe, I'd be looking at other options. This MC is a joke!!!

azabob
19-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Named in the VFL team

Aren’t all the emergencies?

Scraggers
19-08-2022, 08:06 PM

Have they gone smaller too? Koschitzke? Serong?

whythelongface
19-08-2022, 08:09 PM
Aren’t all the emergencies?

Ah ok. Sorry not sure - just noticed his name there. My bad.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 08:11 PM
West has had an improved season and offers 'something'...but are we being too precious here.

He plays forward and hasn't kicked more than 1 goal in a game in 2-months...in fact, he has kicked 2 goals total in the past 6 weeks.
He had BETTER be playing forward as he hasn't had more than 11 touches in a game since (ironically) the last time we played Hawthorn.

I think you will find I have been a huge supporter of West and earlier in the year called for him to be given assurances that he would get the next 6-8 games to play and WOULD NOT be dropped under any circumstances...well, he's had that chance and he's been OK but he hasn't been great lately, he just hasn't.

Please spare me the pressure act stats. The ball goes inside our 50m area enough and at some point if you want to stay in the side you have to actually get it/impact with ball in hand.

You're joking right?

They even have a pressure gauge icon on the AFL website.

It's 2022 MJP. If you want your 1980s footy stats like kicks and handballs then you're going to be sadly left behind.
https://i.postimg.cc/nz79Qc2K/Screenshot-20220819-190936-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Next you'll tell me kick in play on is a useless stat.

kruder
19-08-2022, 08:30 PM

He has tailed off agree but what has VDM done to be in the side? He was woeful in the VFL prior to being brought in, solid first week, average at best last week. I can understand West getting dropped not VDM to playing infront of him.

azabob
19-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Ah ok. Sorry not sure - just noticed his name there. My bad.

Don’t apologise!

I didn’t mean to come across like a jerk.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Don’t apologise!

Cmon this is a safe space

mjp
19-08-2022, 08:45 PM
He has tailed off agree but what has VDM done to be in the side? He was woeful in the VFL prior to being brought in, solid first week, average at best last week. I can understand West getting dropped not VDM to playing infront of him.

Yeah - but isn't this about West not about whoever else has been selected?

I get the whole "for one person to be happy, someone else has to be sad" argument (clearly VDM is the happy one in this synopsis) but at the same time when you've had 14 games this season to cement your spot but haven't had more than 11 possessions in a game in almost 2-months it isn't about others.

As an aside, I'm not sure I would have left him out but pointing at others is not really the point - Rhylee has not been performing well in recent times and if he has been left out then it is about HIS performances not those of his team-mates...I know I probably sound like a peanut when I say things like this but the selection (or otherwise) of the rest of the side should really have no bearing on whether or not any individual does/doesn't play. They need to justify their own inclusion in the squad through their efforts on the track (those who haven't been in the side) or between the white lines (those who have). I'm not sure anyone could say that West has been living up to his side of the bargain lately and I suspect he would have been receiving feedback pointing this out...at some point that feedback reaches this point - omission.

I'm not sure how anyone could argue he has really been earning his spot and having a 'better' season does not mean he should be picked every week.

DOG GOD
19-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Maybe he’s already asked…

1eyedog
19-08-2022, 10:43 PM
Roarke for West?

bornadog
19-08-2022, 10:49 PM
You're joking right?

They even have a pressure gauge icon on the AFL website.

It's 2022 MJP. If you want your 1980s footy stats like kicks and handballs then you're going to be sadly left behind.
https://i.postimg.cc/nz79Qc2K/Screenshot-20220819-190936-AFL.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Next you'll tell me kick in play on is a useless stat.

As I have said previously - great to have pressure act, but you have to actually get the ball and kick some goals in the forward line.

1eyedog
19-08-2022, 11:28 PM
Don’t apologise!

Sometimes it just comes out

anfo27
20-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Disappointed like many that West was dropped. Yeah he has been tapering off of late but would rather the ball in his hands than VDM. Also think he is the best tackler in that forward line.

Mantis
20-08-2022, 09:52 AM
West hasn’t been great recently, but how the *!*!*!*! does Roarke get back in? His form doesn’t warrant selection at all.

SquirrelGrip
20-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Scott West was on my plane to Launceston last night. My bet is Rhylee is sub.

No clouds in the sky today and forecast is no rain until Monday.

GVGjr
20-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Disappointed like many that West was dropped. Yeah he has been tapering off of late but would rather the ball in his hands than VDM. Also think he is the best tackler in that forward line.

It's a fine line the selectors face, do they push through with players down on form or try and bring in someone that can perform better.
I haven't seen enough positives in what VDM brings us at the moment but West does appear to be a bit unlucky to be dropped for Roarke Smith.

bornadog
20-08-2022, 12:11 PM
West hasn’t been great recently, but how the *!*!*!*! does Roarke get back in? His form doesn’t warrant selection at all.
Agree Roarke’s form has been ordinary

Grantysghost
20-08-2022, 12:29 PM

He must have a role to play.

Who would we be trying to stop I really don't know a lot about the Hawks this season.

Scorlibo
20-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Who would we be trying to stop I really don't know a lot about the Hawks this season.

Maybe Sicily or Moore.

Testekill
20-08-2022, 01:01 PM
West's performances have dropped a bit over the last month and he got to play something like 14 games in a row, there's no shame in resting a young player from the seniors especially after two games where he didn't really do much.

Happy Days
20-08-2022, 01:11 PM
West's performances have dropped a bit over the last month and he got to play something like 14 games in a row, there's no shame in resting a young player from the seniors especially after two games where he didn't really do much.

Pretty much. Like I probably wouldn’t have dropped him but geez we can get a little hyperbolic about the treatment of players at selection.

The Underdog
20-08-2022, 01:15 PM

It’d be good if this time we didn’t let Scrimshaw take 1000 intercept marks, but not sure that would be Roarke’s role.

josie
20-08-2022, 01:40 PM

My opinion is a bit different. To my eye in vfl Roarke has played the team game, maybe not getting a lot of touches but he has been ok. Wish him well as it would be great to have a big bodied shutdown type player who can lay a decent tackle and is dour. Roarke’s disposal not too bad however sometimes he tries too much or is a bit slow especially at senior level. I don’t mind him and hope he does well. Hope West is sub. If it McComb I’ll be puzzled (again).

GVGjr
20-08-2022, 01:42 PM
Looks like we might have taken all 4 emergencies to Tas.
I can't see Martin, O'Brien, McComb or West playing for Footscray.

Bullies
20-08-2022, 02:03 PM
He has tailed off agree but what has VDM done to be in the side? He was woeful in the VFL prior to being brought in, solid first week, average at best last week. I can understand West getting dropped not VDM to playing infront of him. If pressure acts are so important then why not just get someone from Melbourne Storm. I know he won't have any idea about getting the ball but it will put him on par with VDM.

ReLoad
20-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Bumped into libba in ascot vale. Poor guy walking like a 95 year old cowboy. :/ (and a Mo to match!)

Bullies
20-08-2022, 02:05 PM
Agree Roarke’s form has been ordinary Surley Roarke will not be on the list next year

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Surley Roarke will not be on the list next year

I was thinking farewell game for Roarke

GVGjr
20-08-2022, 02:19 PM
Surley Roarke will not be on the list next year

Perhaps but I wouldn't bet on it.

Grantysghost
20-08-2022, 03:05 PM
Bumped into libba in ascot vale. Poor guy walking like a 95 year old cowboy. :/ (and a Mo to match!)

He's great Tony.

I had a long chin wag with him at a season launch really open and friendly guy.

Real shame the reputation he got under Wallace.

Mofra
20-08-2022, 03:29 PM
West is still a bit "see ball, get ball" but I just love his endeavor. I'd prefer him in the side rather than out of it

Mofra
20-08-2022, 03:30 PM
He's great Tony.

Yeah a mate played Superrules with him and couldn't speak highly enough of Libba Snr. Non-bulldog supporter too. Scott Lucas another good one of the old timers.

azabob
20-08-2022, 03:48 PM
He's great Tony.

So it wasn’t Tom, ReLoad was referring to?

1eyedog
21-08-2022, 09:40 PM

Ah cause he'll win the game for us down there?

bornadog
21-08-2022, 11:10 PM
Ah cause he'll win the game for us down there?

and he did :)