PDA

View Full Version : I am a bit P*ssed off - NOT GOOD ENOUGH DOGS

bornadog
31-07-2022, 06:24 PM
We have been in good form beating Melbourne, and we have almost a full list, yet we capitulated in that 3rd quarter.

Yes, we are playing in Geelong against the top of the ladder, we started like a house on fire, yet we didn't give a yelp in the 3rd quarter. 3 Points to 8 goals, weak.

Guys like Macrae have to hardened the *!*!*!*! up, same with Tim English and the rest of your mates. Bruce and JJ with pathetic shots at goal, yet that dud Miers kicks one from the boundary - the worst kicking action in the AFL, and he goals. Caleb Daniel turned the ball over three times for three goals with bad kicking, same as others. Hannan running around with pressure acts, big deal (one for you GG) - FFs mark the ball, attack the ball, pick it up you dope.

Stick your tackles, hurt the opposition, make them earn it.

This team needs to get tougher and make no mistakes, stop turning over the ball, if they want to play finals, as it is no certainty.

Yes, I am not happy we blew it.

azabob
31-07-2022, 06:44 PM
Interesting BAD.

I can’t recall you being this critical of the players. In fact you very much defend them.

chef
31-07-2022, 06:47 PM
I think we just got beat by a better side TBH.

Selwoods 350th which they were never going to lose.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 07:06 PM

Yep they're a far more balanced side and have blooded some good kids.

They had another gear we couldn't match.

It was nice to beat the Demons, but I felt they had us at arms length most of that game we just found some magic from somewhere. It's not going to be there every week.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 07:27 PM
Interesting BAD.

I can’t recall you being this critical of the players. In fact you very much defend them.

They need a kick up the backside.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 07:30 PM

I can accept that to a point, but that 3rd quarter, was just weak. We matched them in the first half, so why not continue the intensity and effort in the second half. 8 goals to 3 points is like a top team played a bottom team, yet we are better than that.

As Bevo said in his post match address to members, we had several players down and bang the whole team is down.

There are players in the team that would struggle to make North's best 22.

azabob
31-07-2022, 07:35 PM
They need a kick up the backside.

They do and have needed one all year.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 07:37 PM
They do and have needed one all year.

We have lost some close ones, and we have been down with some injuries, but this is the business end, and there are no excuses.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-07-2022, 07:42 PM

A better side is a very subjective judgement and does not allow much room for discussion. On the night or all season or at GMBHA etc. We were better than them for the majority of the game.

GVGjr
31-07-2022, 07:42 PM
Thanks for this BAD. Appreciate a 'from the heart' thread because I agree some of the players need a rocket.
There have been two many examples where we switch off for a period of time and allow others sides the opportunity to score quickly against us.

I also like that it's not all doom and gloom and very targeted. Dunkley and West stick their tackles but too often opposition players get through our tackling attemps. We need a lot more vigor around the contests.
Missing shots for goals as you called out is just frustrating especially from senior players.
We have also brought back two players from long term injuries and Bruce is struggling and Daniel put in a shocker.
It must raise questions if we are we making the right assessment on players ability to come into the games without form to support it.

Losing to Geelong is frustrating but not the end of the world. Thought Bevo did an exceptional job until Geelong reset and our players didn't respond.

There is a bit of work to do to extract the potential from this playing group for the balance of the season.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Thanks for this BAD. Appreciate a 'from the heart' thread because I agree some of the players need a rocket.
There have been two many examples where we switch off for a period of time and allow others sides the opportunity to score quickly against us.

I also like that it's not all doom and gloom and very targeted. Dunkley and West stick their tackles but too often opposition players get through our tackling attemps. We need a lot more vigor around the contests.
Missing shots for goals as you called out is just frustrating especially from senior players.
We have also brought back two players from long term injuries and Bruce is struggling and Daniel put in a shocker.
It must raise questions if we are we making the right assessment on players ability to come into the games without form to support it.

Losing to Geelong is frustrating but not the end of the world. Thought Bevo did an exceptional job until Geelong reset and our players didn't respond.

There is a bit of work to do to extract the potential from this playing group for the balance of the season.

Yes it is from the heart and very frustrating to watch goal after goal with no one trying to stop it.

We need the right players as well in the team, and those that don't pull their weight should be dropped. Bevo asked Keath to go back to the VFL and work on certain things. McComb and Hannan as mentioned in other threads, need to also work on their skills and maybe a few other players that don't pull their weight.

Win the next three and we are in

josie
31-07-2022, 08:26 PM
I’m with BAD. Why try and tap 10m or so from middle when Danger is sharking it time after time? Why not tap to ground and let it be ugly footy in close where Libba excels? Why allow their mids to blanket, grapple, hold Libba at centre clearances without so much as a whelp from the other mids (Libba tried his guts out all night). Why not put McComb or someone on Danger instead of letting him roam pretty much free? I’m really upset with Smith and English especially. Where’s the grit, the determination? Where’s the slow tempo play when we do have the ball just to draw breath and try and break oppo momentum. It just wasn’t there in Q3. This happens too regularly in games and has been for quite a while.

Also why didn’t the coaches do something to stem the tide? Naughton to backline, West to middle, Hannan to F50, JJ to backline, Khamis to ruck, English to shore up backline….something to try and stem the tide. It may not have worked but we did nothing. Also when Weightman was crunched in Q4 who responded? Garcia - and a bit later Bruce. Good on Garcia who is a young pup but where were our mature leaders?

And if players cannot execute basic skills like kicking to a team mate or marking relatively easy ones at least most of the time then why are they chosen week after week? It’s just baffling. Did we not learn from Gowers, Honeychurch experiments? If they cannot execute basic skills reasonably reliably do not choose them and I bet the other players are as baffled as we are. Surely this stuffs up team morale?

angelopetraglia
31-07-2022, 08:48 PM
In the end we only lose by 28 points. Yet we let them DOMINATE us in what Bevo called the POWER PLAY for an entire quarter and kick goals basically without any pressure. We did not give any response. We didn't show any fight. If it was a one off thing you could cop that. Bad night, bad quarter, bad game, bad moments. But this team now has a track record of allowing the opposition to completely dominate us without a response for sustained periods in games. It has happened multiple times this year. It can't be just a talent thing as we can normally compete with these teams at other times within the same game. It's all above the shoulders. They need to get to the bottom of it.

The bulldog tragician
31-07-2022, 09:01 PM
In the end we only lose by 28 points. Yet we let them DOMINATE us in what Bevo called the POWER PLAY for an entire quarter and kick goals basically without any pressure. We did not give any response. We didn't show any fight. If it was a one off thing you could cop that. Bad night, bad quarter, bad game, bad moments. But this team now has a track record of allowing the opposition to completely dominate us without a response for sustained periods in games. It has happened multiple times this year. It can't be just a talent thing as we can normally compete with these teams at other times within the same game. It's all above the shoulders. They need to get to the bottom of it.
I think of it in contrast to a match in 2016. Same venue, same highly fancied seemingly invincible opponent. The week before Wally broke his leg: the team had witnessed his agonising pain. They had every reason to say “not this week, not tonight, not this year.” In match we lost Libba and Macrae. Yet we came close and never ever gave up. Yeah we lost but I remember they made us so proud.

Mentally something is missing with this group. There have been so few 4 quarter performances. More often even when we start well, we wilt too easily under pressure. This is the players, but we must also ask searching questions of our coaching team and those repeated inexplicable selections.

Scorlibo
31-07-2022, 09:15 PM
I'm with you BAD. It's not about the scoreline, it's the way it went down.

When we're at our best we relish taking a body to give ourselves the best look possible, but yesterday in the second and third quarter we looked allergic to body contact.

The last couple of weeks Garcia has been tackled a lot, but I love that he doesn't shy away from it. He'll take on the tackle instead of coughing up the ball. Too many of our players would prefer to avoid being tackled, even when the only alternative is a tiny little handball to the swarming opposition or a quick kick out to their intercept defenders.

Sometimes you have to take the contact and risk having holding the ball go against you, so that the team can potentially get someone out in space. And HTB turnovers might be humiliating for the individual but they feel so much less costly to the team than turnovers in free play. That extra few seconds makes a big difference.

Same goes for taking open space to draw defenders to the ball carrier, before releasing. If you're not doing that then you're not really making them defend, they're only threatening to defend.

Also when Weightman was crunched in Q4 who responded? Garcia - and a bit later Bruce. Good on Garcia who is a young pup but where were our mature leaders?

Spot on Josie, Ceglar's hit was way more than a late arrival to the marking contest - he lined Cody up. His shoulder was driven through Cody's head. We needed to fly the flag in that moment.

boydogs
31-07-2022, 09:21 PM
Bevo called out the mids for not being able to deliver a 4 quarter effort. It was very disappointing after seeing them dominate early to not give a yelp when Geelong fought back

azabob
31-07-2022, 09:25 PM
This problem isn’t new.

These are the same questions that some posters have been asking since the grand final.

Round 1 v Melbourne, RD2 V Carlton, against Geelong earlier this year, against Sydney, against the lions, the loss to Adelaide.

I’m not surprised or pissed off with last night, I expected to happen.

merantau
31-07-2022, 09:29 PM
There's a lot of dismay and anger as a result of that non-performance in the second half - and rightly so. It was a really limp effort. The points made about paralysis in the coaching box are all valid.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 09:33 PM
My dismay was mostly around the panic that seemed to overtake the team when the tide turned.

Caleb running up the line trying to do what I don't know, and kicking it straight to the opposition.

Game sense. It's non existent. Bont and Macrae as the formal leaders need to set the tone in these moments.

We just kept playing the same way!

Actually Bevo said we either stopped going off the line (the 45 inside or around the back) or we kept screwing it up under pressure.

It's clear they're being told what to do but just can't do it in real heat.

SonofScray
31-07-2022, 09:39 PM

I’m not going to put the boots into Bevo (acknowledging that I certainly have across the journey at times) but this scenario is a real key frustration I have with his tenure. These moments in games where the opposition clearly have adjusted to what we are doing and we just either don’t respond in kind, or it takes far too long. Sometimes all it needs is some tempo footy, and the blame there falls on the players. The Cats game last year is an example. But last night, the lion’s share has to sit with the coaches. These situations keep happening and we keep grinding to halt on the scoreboard.

I want to see a few things:

1 Clear direction to disrupt the opposition: our star midfield are too confident in their own game at times. They back themselves into get it done on their terms. Against Melbourne, when the heat was white hot, Bont played a defensive game and rather than chase the big moment, just put himself between the Dees and their chance to win. I’m not convinced that type of decision comes easily to the group, so perhaps the direction needs to be firmer and more explicit.

2 panic button - Naughton swings back briefly, which we did late in the Melbourne game. I feel like we need to be more prepared to pull the trigger on moves like this to help the defensive system when the momentum shifts. The system works when supported by a midfield controlling the game and transitions, but when we break down and the ball flies out the front of the contest, our small defenders are out of the equation and we’re asking a lot of Gardy/Cordy/Chief/Buku. N.B I want Naughty to contribute as a key forward by default.

3. Go after their prime mover. Don’t just reflect and say Danger did the damage. Of course he did. Mess with him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-07-2022, 10:17 PM
Geelong has stolen a march on teams like the WB in the quality of players recruited.
The additions of players like Cameron Smith Dangerfield Rohan and Stengle compared with our cast offs like O’Brien Hannan and Keath is chalk and cheese by comparison.Treloar has been an exception but on a highly inflated Contract compared to the likes of Bont Macrae and Liberatore who are better players. The Cats drafting of de Koning as a key defender is far superior in comparison we our own.
Our Club needs an urgent review of both its Match Committee and Recruiting Group, a task to be carried out by Luke Darcy, Board member and Chris Grant in his position as Football Manager.

Grantysghost
31-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Interesting call re De Koning.

We took Weightman at 15, De Koning went 19 in 2019 draft.

MrMahatma
31-07-2022, 11:19 PM
Same sh1t, different day. Teams killing us out of centre square. It’s embarrassing, and it happens most matches.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 11:48 PM
Same sh1t, different day. Teams killing us out of centre square. It’s embarrassing, and it happens most matches.

We are the number 1 Centre Clearance team

MrMahatma
31-07-2022, 11:57 PM

Cool stat.

Time and time again teams exit out the front and get easy goals against us.

The bulldog tragician
01-08-2022, 12:02 AM

I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do.

Happy Days
01-08-2022, 12:41 AM
I didn’t see a second of the game and never will but it must’ve been horrific to make BAD do this sort of heel turn.

Scorlibo
01-08-2022, 01:16 AM
I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do.

It would be nice to have access to the same data as they refer to on Fox, ie. scores from stoppage/turnover/kick-ins

From a spectator's viewpoint it does seem that we let the opposition out the front of the centre clearance way too often. I thought we'd remedied this somewhat earlier this season (after the GF), by getting primarily Dale (and now sometimes Richards) to push up and apply front-on pressure. It was working by and large, but Melbourne and Geelong in successive weeks have been able to find the overlap handball to beat the defender pushing up.

Another stat that relates to the above, learned from a Twitter footy statistician, is that our defenders are #18 in the competition in 1v1 contests, which makes it extra important that we stem this bleed.

FWIW I still think that our midfield when looked at in totality has performed to a very high level this year, and we have bigger fish to fry at either end.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2022, 04:04 AM
I didn’t see a second of the game and never will but it must’ve been horrific to make BAD do this sort of heel turn.

Just like Hogan in the NWO days no less.

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Geelong has stolen a march on teams like the WB in the quality of players recruited.
The additions of players like Cameron Smith Dangerfield Rohan and Stengle compared with our cast offs like O’Brien Hannan and Keath is chalk and cheese by comparison.Treloar has been an exception but on a highly inflated Contract compared to the likes of Bont Macrae and Liberatore who are better players. The Cats drafting of de Koning as a key defender is far superior in comparison we our own.
Our Club needs an urgent review of both its Match Committee and Recruiting Group, a task to be carried out by Luke Darcy, Board member and Chris Grant in his position as Football Manager.

NBP, I think it's clear that Geelong have done very well at developing some of their more unknown players from the rookie list and have done well with their investments with taller players.

Tom Atkins was drafted as a rookie in 2018 as a mature aged player and has now played more than 70 senior games.
Bradley Close was also taken as a rookie in 2019 and is nearing 50 senior games.
Lachlan Henderson is another rookie from the same year and has already had 35 senior games.
Sam De Koning was taken in 2019 (along with Cooper Stephens) inside the top 20 of the draft and has become a terrific defender for them.
In 2020 they invested in Shannon Neale a 202cm ruckman and Max Holmes is getting some senior experience.
And of course they are getting great value with Tyson Stengle.

We all know that they keep topping up with experienced players each year but their development program is also getting rewards for them as well. The players they have are also appear to be reasonable with their financial demands because they know they are going to be around the mark in terms of finals each year.

It's a different model they're using and it doesn't appear other clubs are looking to match it. You have to wonder if it's giving them a competitive edge or not.

The challenge for our football department is about how do we become a club that more players want to come to and how do we better develop the talented players we draft.

Bullies
01-08-2022, 09:43 AM
I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do. There is also a difference in the type of clearance as well. The type of clearance we get with a Sweet tap to advantage and an English smash and grab under pressure are completely different outcomes although we get the same stat. We also beat up on the weaker mid fields as you said. When the going gets tough we struggle and it shows where we are at. Probably to late to turn it around this year but plenty to work with if they make the approriate changes and get a good mid field coach in.

Boots
01-08-2022, 10:10 AM

It's funny, I know you are right and I agree with you but that just makes me dislike Dangerfield, Cameron, Rohan & co even more intensely.

Chris Scott is undoubtedly an excellent coach and some of his players are really brilliant. But Geelong wouldn't be half as good if they didn't keep managing to attract already excellent players from all over the place seemingly at will. I'd never want him in the side but imagine what we'd look like if we had Cameron.

Geelong is absolutely playing on easy mode.

Bullies
01-08-2022, 10:12 AM
It's funny, I know you are right and I agree with you but that just makes me dislike Dangerfield, Cameron, Rohan & co even more intensely.

Chris Scott is undoubtedly an excellent coach and some of his players are really brilliant. But Geelong wouldn't be half as good if they didn't keep managing to attract already excellent players from all over the place seemingly at will. I'd never want him in the side but imagine what we'd look like if we had Cameron.

Geelong is absolutely playing on easy mode. They also have players who are prepared to take a pay cut to get good players in and be a good side and play for success. We at the minute have guys who are holding out for more $$$$.

Boots
01-08-2022, 10:16 AM
Time and time again teams exit out the front and get easy goals against us.

This (and fast coast-to-coast play against us) has been the most frustrating thing to watch all year. We grind and scrap and push hard for every goal, with repeat entries and two-way running costing masses of energy and effort - and teams like Melbourne and Geelong waltz it out of the front of the pack in ten seconds. It's more efficient and way more sustainable.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 10:27 AM

Watch the first quarter and then ask, why can't we do this for 4 quarters. We have the talent, but do we have the mental capacity?

As Bevo said, we are still immature.

Mantis
01-08-2022, 10:47 AM
Watch the first quarter and then ask, why can't we do this for 4 quarters. We have the talent, but do we have the mental capacity?

I'm in the same boat as HD in that I haven't seen of the game... well I tell a lie. I saw Miers kick an impossible goal from the boundary line in the 3rd qtr walking past a bar and that was enough for me.

But there is absolutely no use watching the 1st qtr and seeing what we did well without watching the rest to see what we did poorly.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 10:48 AM

Geelong's pressure went through the roof and they changed some things tactically to read Tim's taps or where he was putting it apparently (gleaned from the presser).

Not sure the maturity argument comes into it? A lot of these guys have played in multiple finals, and even a GF.

All teams have young kids.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 10:51 AM
I'm in the same boat as HD in that I haven't seen of the game... well I tell a lie. I saw Miers kick an impossible goal from the boundary line in the 3rd qtr walking past a bar and that was enough for me.

But there is absolutely no use watching the 1st qtr and seeing what we did well without watching the rest to see what we did poorly.

The first quarter was pretty much the perfect advertisement for Bevo ball.

Quick movement from stoppages, overlap, precision ball movement including lots of corridor use on the 45, space in the forward line in first phase, numerous second phase/lock in opportunities as the press worked to perfection and marks inside 50 in dangerous spots.

Then Geelong decided they didn't want to be witches hats any more.

Vred
01-08-2022, 10:53 AM

Bevo can go jump.
We're not immature, we made a *!*!*!*!ing GF from 5th last year.
We're badly coached this year
We make selections that are mind-numbingly confusing
We've had a huge drop off in form from some players (and leaders)
Our game plan is exposed and slow
The list goes on.

Saying we're immature is a cop out after the 2021 season and what our team did to other teams, putting them away by 100+ points on the regular, taking the fight, the push and shove, putting teams to the sword, hardly immature, this year? Yeah, maybe it is a bit between the ears but we have much bigger glaring holes elsewhere as well, solely blaming it on 'immaturity' is not on, Bevo is nuts...

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 11:03 AM
NBP, I think it's clear that Geelong have done very well at developing some of their more unknown players from the rookie list and have done well with their investments with taller players.

Tom Atkins was drafted as a rookie in 2018 as a mature aged player and has now played more than 70 senior games.
Bradley Close was also taken as a rookie in 2019 and is nearing 50 senior games.
Lachlan Henderson is another rookie from the same year and has already had 35 senior games.
Sam De Koning was taken in 2019 (along with Cooper Stephens) inside the top 20 of the draft and has become a terrific defender for them.
In 2020 they invested in Shannon Neale a 202cm ruckman and Max Holmes is getting some senior experience.
And of course they are getting great value with Tyson Stengle.

We all know that they keep topping up with experienced players each year but their development program is also getting rewards for them as well. The players they have are also appear to be reasonable with their financial demands because they know they are going to be around the mark in terms of finals each year.

It's a different model they're using and it doesn't appear other clubs are looking to match it. You have to wonder if it's giving them a competitive edge or not.

The challenge for our football department is about how do we become a club that more players want to come to and how do we better develop the talented players we draft.

Close was "Close" to best on.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 11:08 AM

I don't blame you, I wouldn't watch it either.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Geelong's pressure went through the roof and they changed some things tactically to read Tim's taps or where he was putting it apparently (gleaned from the presser).

Not sure the maturity argument comes into it? A lot of these guys have played in multiple finals, and even a GF.

All teams have young kids.

Pretty sure he means mature leadership to tackle these situations, not as in young team.

You know the saying, when the going gets tough.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 11:11 AM
Bevo can go jump.
The list goes on.

Saying we're immature is a cop out after the 2021 season and what our team did to other teams, putting them away by 100+ points on the regular, taking the fight, the push and shove, putting teams to the sword, hardly immature, this year? Yeah, maybe it is a bit between the ears but we have much bigger glaring holes elsewhere as well, solely blaming it on 'immaturity' is not on, Bevo is nuts...

I know you are a Bevo hater, but coaching is not the issue.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Pretty sure he means mature leadership to tackle these situations, not as in young team.

You know the saying, when the going gets tough.

Ah yes - that makes sense. Maturity to sense the moments and make the right decisions from leaders.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 11:14 AM
Bevo can go jump.
The list goes on.

He mentioned it very briefly to be fair VRED.

Many other things were the reason for him.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 11:25 AM
This (and fast coast-to-coast play against us) has been the most frustrating thing to watch all year. We grind and scrap and push hard for every goal, with repeat entries and two-way running costing masses of energy and effort - and teams like Melbourne and Geelong waltz it out of the front of the pack in ten seconds. It's more efficient and way more sustainable.

Boots - l like your work.

What I don't like, is your avatar game.

So I've harnessed the power of AI and SuperCompute to generate you something...something I think will work for you juuuuuust fine.

Enjoy ! (The singularity is coming).

https://i.postimg.cc/m2ncFWVQ/craiyon-102324-bulldog-wearing-boots-in-a-field-on-a-sunny-day-painting-br.png (https://postimg.cc/fJxW6FGL)

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Bevo can go jump.
The list goes on.

I think there are some very reasonable points you have raised but surely we have to make some allowances for Bevo in a post game press conference? He's clearly as frustrated as so many of the fans but he has to manage what he says to keep the playing list and the fans motivated. For what it's worth I think Bevo has performed so much better with the media in the last 6 weeks or so than he did early in the season and his explanation for the loss on Saturday night seemed fine with me.

From a playing list perspective there isn't a lot we can cut them slack for because we were such a strong side last year and genuinely deserved our GF position.

From a coaching perspective we have brought in 2 fresh faces and voices and I can't really tell how they're performing. With extra resources next year there won't be many excuses that we can offer up.

Team selections have again been baffling throughout the year although on Saturday night we have to concede that Cordy did perform pretty well.

I agree there is something missing with our leadership from time to time. Lets hope this can be addressed.

Vred, it all comes down to the remaining games. If we can somehow win all 3 we should be well pleased.

Mantis
01-08-2022, 11:32 AM
I think there are some very reasonable points you have raised but surely we have to make some allowances for Bevo in a post game press conference? He's clearly as frustrated as so many of the fans but he has to manage what he says to keep the playing list and the fans motivated. For what it's worth I think Bevo has performed so much better with the media in the last 6 weeks or so than he did early in the season and his explanation for the loss on Saturday night seemed fine with me.

From a playing list perspective there isn't a lot we can cut them slack for because we were such a strong side last year and genuinely deserved our GF position.

From a coaching perspective we have brought in 2 fresh faces and voices and I can't really tell how they're performing. With extra resources next year there won't be many excuses that we can offer up.

Team selections have again been baffling throughout the year although on Saturday night we have to concede that Cordy did perform pretty well.

I agree there is something missing with our leadership from time to time. Lets hope this can be addressed.

Vred, it all comes down to the remaining games. If we can somehow win all 3 we should be well pleased.

You might be well pleased, but I would think the general consensus is that it will have been another wasted season.

There are a number of reasons to why we haven't been able to perform at our best for long enough this year, but to go from a GF team to either just making or missing out on a top 8 spot isn't where we should be. It seems we didn't address the GF loss from last year, and brushed it off as having run out of puff/ a bad 45min, but the issues remain within the team which is both frustrating & disappointing.

To me it seems this group have gone as far as they can go and we need a clean-out.. I will watch on with great interest to how we react to a disappointing season.

azabob
01-08-2022, 11:41 AM
You might be well pleased, but I would think the general consensus is that it will have been another wasted season.

There are a number of reasons to why we haven't been able to perform at our best for long enough this year, but to go from a GF team to either just making or missing out on a top 8 spot isn't where we should be. It seems we didn't address the GF loss from last year, and brushed it off as having run out of puff/ a bad 45min, but the issues remain within the team which is both frustrating & disappointing.

To me it seems this group have gone as far as they can go and we need a clean-out.. I will watch on with great interest to how we react to a disappointing season.

I don't disagree Mantis. The season panning out this way could be seen very earlier on in the year.

I thought we already had the refresh / rebuild between 2017/18/19/20 which makes 2022 even more of a bitter pill to swallow.

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 11:49 AM

I'm disappointed we are in the position we are at the moment but if we are to win the last 3 we have a chance to make amends in the finals. That would salvage something from the season. This team shouldn't be outside of the 8.

We need to make an honest assessment of this playing list at the end of the season to see if topping up with a couple of experienced types like Jones and Lobb will result in a top 4 finish in 2023 or if we should look at making some playing list changes will serve us best. Do we have it in us as a club to make the hard calls?
My guess is we will try a hybrid version of topping up and maintaining an early pick so that we are still draft relevant.

We should have done a lot better this year so we have to start questioning if the playing list, especially the more experienced types, are still hungry enough.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 12:10 PM
I'm disappointed we are in the position we are at the moment but if we are to win the last 3 we have a chance to make amends in the finals. That would salvage something from the season. This team shouldn't be outside of the 8.

We need to make an honest assessment of this playing list at the end of the season to see if topping up with a couple of experienced types like Jones and Lobb will result in a top 4 finish in 2023 or if we should look at making some playing list changes will serve us best. Do we have it in us as a club to make the hard calls?
My guess is we will try a hybrid version of topping up and maintaining an early pick so that we are still draft relevant.

We should have done a lot better this year so we have to start questioning if the playing list, especially the more experienced types, are still hungry enough.

Why we can't be good enough for long enough "in season" since what 2010 needs to be addressed.

Two teams have won the flag from outside the top 4 in final 8 era. Adelaide in 1998 (old system), and us in 2016.

You simply must make top 4.

It's pretty clear the game plan isn't sustainable for long periods. We need to develop a plan that allows us to win games dirty/ugly more often.

Starts with defence for me. My team in the PL, now flush with cash have rebuilt from defence first which I hope we are doing at the Dogs.

To be fair in 2016, we won 15 which makes top 4 most years! Actually in 2017, 15 wins and a draw was top spot.

bornadog
01-08-2022, 01:45 PM
Why we can't be good enough for long enough "in season" since what 2010 needs to be addressed.

Two teams have won the flag from outside the top 4 in final 8 era. Adelaide in 1998 (old system), and us in 2016.

It's pretty clear the game plan isn't sustainable for long periods. We need to develop a plan that allows us to win games dirty/ugly more often.

Starts with defence for me. My team in the PL, now flush with cash have rebuilt from defence first which I hope we are doing at the Dogs.

To be fair in 2016, we won 15 which makes top 4 most years! Actually in 2017, 15 wins and a draw was top spot.

We missed top 4 last by a few %. Brisbane 133.27% to us 132.84% - in fact a couple of goals

GVGjr
01-08-2022, 02:02 PM

I think the bigger challenge since Bevo has arrived is around why we can't back up after very good seasons?
We were really making some progress in 2015, won it in 2016, fall backwards in 2017 and then fell back even further in 2018.
We made finals in 2019 and 2020 but never progressed and a GF in 2021 after dominating for a lot of the year.
Of course the 2022 season has been a struggle and we don't know where we might land but it hasn't been a successful season.

Why does our performances yo-yo and why can't we achieve what the Tigers and Cats have in recent years by being a finals relevant clubs for a sustained period?

Off field we have navigated through a couple of Covid impact seasons and have become a profitable club with an increasing membership base. We have achieved so much off field that I really think should have resulted in better performances on field.

Danjul
01-08-2022, 02:03 PM
We missed top 4 last by a few %. Brisbane 133.27% to us 132.84% - in fact a couple of goals
If the dogs had scored 2 more behinds in the last game they would have drawn with Port and gained 2 points on the ladder, guaranteeing a top 4 finish.

Why didn’t they, when port kicked only 1 goal in the first half?

Because we were experimenting with the ruck. Port had three times as many hitouts and dominated the clearances.

A bit like the Geelong game really.

mjp
01-08-2022, 02:34 PM

What's triggered this post BAD?

I feel like you have been largely immune from the frustration so many people have been feeling...but then a loss in what is currently the toughest task in footy (Geelong at KP) sends you over the edge?

Forget the % in your quote above...maybe losing games to Hawthorn, Essendon etc was the thing that really cost us last season. This year? Take your pick.

Too many players want things on their own terms.

chef
01-08-2022, 02:50 PM
I guess we only have to win 7 in a row now and not 10.

Boots
01-08-2022, 02:55 PM
This is completely brilliant and I'll wear it with pride

bornadog
01-08-2022, 04:19 PM

I was answering a question from GG. The end result after the H&A series was were equal 4th but missed by %

I feel like you have been largely immune from the frustration so many people have been feeling...but then a loss in what is currently the toughest task in footy (Geelong at KP) sends you over the edge?

Not immune at all.

Just disappointed at the pointy end we put up that rubbish in the 3rd quarter

mjp
01-08-2022, 04:41 PM
I was answering a question from GG. The end result after the H&A series was were equal 4th but missed by %.

I structured my question poorly...I was referring primarily to the op. I used the % line as this has been more typical of the approach you have taken (we are doing well, we are close etc). Sorry but I was in a rush and it all made sense in my head!

bornadog
01-08-2022, 05:07 PM
I structured my question poorly...I was referring primarily to the op. I used the % line as this has been more typical of the approach you have taken (we are doing well, we are close etc). Sorry but I was in a rush and it all made sense in my head!

The OP was to get some discussion going :D in an otherwise miserable week.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 05:22 PM
This is completely brilliant and I'll wear it with pride

You've got the best avatar on the forum now.

Plus it's one of kind original AI artwork....

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 05:23 PM

But I'm technically correct, the best kind of correct :)

It was that bloody Gabba timekeeper!!

bornadog
01-08-2022, 05:29 PM
But I'm technically correct, the best kind of correct :)

It was that bloody Gabba timekeeper!!

Forgot about the bloody timekeeper

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 05:38 PM
I think the bigger challenge since Bevo has arrived is around why we can't back up after very good seasons?
We were really making some progress in 2015, won it in 2016, fall backwards in 2017 and then fell back even further in 2018.
We made finals in 2019 and 2020 but never progressed and a GF in 2021 after dominating for a lot of the year.
Of course the 2022 season has been a struggle and we don't know where we might land but it hasn't been a successful season.

Why does our performances yo-yo and why can't we achieve what the Tigers and Cats have in recent years by being a finals relevant clubs for a sustained period?

Off field we have navigated through a couple of Covid impact seasons and have become a profitable club with an increasing membership base. We have achieved so much off field that I really think should have resulted in better performances on field.

We've kind of done that with the last few years? Slowly progressing.

2018 : 8 wins
2019 : 12 wins
2020 : 10 (17) extrapolated to 22 games its 13 wins.
2021 : 15

It's more a linear progression in the last 4 seasons than yo-yo.

I do get what you mean though.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 05:42 PM

Forget the % in your quote above...maybe losing games to Hawthorn, Essendon etc was the thing that really cost us last season. This year? Take your pick.

Too many players want things on their own terms.

I think the third quarter triggered everyone's GF PTSD.

Plus. Geelong.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 05:45 PM
If the dogs had scored 2 more behinds in the last game they would have drawn with Port and gained 2 points on the ladder, guaranteeing a top 4 finish.

Why didn’t they, when port kicked only 1 goal in the first half?

Because we were experimenting with the ruck. Port had three times as many hitouts and dominated the clearances.

A bit like the Geelong game really.

Do you need my avatar services Danj?

Axe Man
01-08-2022, 06:13 PM
Boots - l like your work.

What I don't like, is your avatar game.

So I've harnessed the power of AI and SuperCompute to generate you something...something I think will work for you juuuuuust fine.

Enjoy ! (The singularity is coming).

https://i.postimg.cc/m2ncFWVQ/craiyon-102324-bulldog-wearing-boots-in-a-field-on-a-sunny-day-painting-br.png (https://postimg.cc/fJxW6FGL)

Why is there a random nose in the bottom right?

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 06:15 PM
Why is there a random nose in the bottom right?

It's a very good question. Ask it in binary and I'll pass it on.

EasternWest
01-08-2022, 07:36 PM
It's a very good question. Ask it in binary and I'll pass it on.

01010111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01100001 01101110 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 01110100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01110010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00111111

Danjul
01-08-2022, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the offer but until I have something significant to say it’s better that I stay incomplete.

josie
01-08-2022, 07:55 PM
01010111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01100001 01101110 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 01110100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01110010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00111111

Is this a binary solo?

Enjoy a bit of Kiwi humour:
https://youtu.be/2IPAOxrH7Ro

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the offer but until I have something significant to say it’s better that I stay incomplete.
Everyone’s opinion is significant.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 08:56 PM

01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100001 01100011 01110100 01110101 01100001 01101100 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110000 01110010 01100101 01110100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110100 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110111 00100000 01010011 01110101 01100011 01101011 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100111 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 01101001 01100001 00101110 00100000

The Underdog
01-08-2022, 09:15 PM

Bet you could come up with something pretty Sweet.

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Bet you could come up with something pretty Sweet.

https://i.postimg.cc/Jntcj24y/craiyon-204150-sweet-bulldog-illustration-in-a-poppy-field-on-a-sunny-day-br.png (https://postimg.cc/DJkXT5GF)

hujsh
01-08-2022, 09:56 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Jntcj24y/craiyon-204150-sweet-bulldog-illustration-in-a-poppy-field-on-a-sunny-day-br.png (https://postimg.cc/DJkXT5GF)

I tried Jordan Sweet Premiership (https://ibb.co/LJV7v0r)and the results were... strange

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 09:58 PM
I tried Jordan Sweet Premiership (https://ibb.co/LJV7v0r)and the results were... strange

Nightmare fuel!

EasternWest
01-08-2022, 11:11 PM
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100001 01100011 01110100 01110101 01100001 01101100 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110000 01110010 01100101 01110100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110100 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110111 00100000 01010011 01110101 01100011 01101011 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100111 01100101 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 01101001 01100001 00101110 00100000

https://i.postimg.cc/GtdZVQHW/download-3.jpg

Grantysghost
01-08-2022, 11:52 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/GtdZVQHW/download-3.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/26tjZsCAK4UZOVKaA/giphy.gif

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2022, 02:10 PM
We've kind of done that with the last few years? Slowly progressing.

2018 : 8 wins
2019 : 12 wins
2020 : 10 (17) extrapolated to 22 games its 13 wins.
2021 : 15

It's more a linear progression in the last 4 seasons than yo-yo.

I do get what you mean though.

Regrettably this trend occurred following our 1954 flag and again after being runners up in 1961.