PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 21, 2022 vs Fremantle

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-08-2022, 04:34 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this afternoon's round 21 match against Fremantle. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Mofra
06-08-2022, 08:10 PM
Bont's kick in the first to Weightman who marked. Masked a big big problem.

WTF were our three tall forwards doing hoping for a cheapie out the back? Our failure of our forwards to present on multiple occasions slowed our disposal, meaning Freo's defence could cover us easily.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-08-2022, 08:13 PM
Bont running down the wing and Bruce running back to goal. We wanted it easy today and didn’t want to work for it.

GVGjr
06-08-2022, 08:13 PM
It was straight after Bruce's goal when O'Driscoll got goal side of Macrae and ran forward.

That quick response really inserted the thought in me that any comeback we could raise would be answered.

westbulldog
06-08-2022, 08:33 PM
When we refused to man up and allowed Freo to successfully play keepings off for 4 quarters.

jeemak
06-08-2022, 08:45 PM
It was straight after Bruce's goal when O'Driscoll got goal side of Macrae and ran forward.

That quick response really inserted the thought in me that any comeback we could raise would be answered.

Again, it started in the centre in that instance and Jacko was caught out ball watching instead of keeping a defencive mindset when it looked like we weren't going to break even due to being too assertive at the resumption of play.

We're a good clearance team, but get overly exposed when we let it out of the centre time and time again. Wouldn't everyone just understand that halving the contest is the starting point, and prioritise not losing centre clearances? It would give us time to roll a number up and use our superior inside ability to grind forward.

It's terrible that we see it time and again.

jeemak
06-08-2022, 08:46 PM
When we refused to man up and allowed Freo to successfully play keepings off for 4 quarters.

Well it was for a bit over two quarters, though unfortunately we weren't great when we stopped them from doing that because we wouldn't work back hard enough to get goal side when it looked like we were going to cough the ball up going forward.

merantau
06-08-2022, 08:56 PM
English hitting the post with our first shot on goal was the beginning of a conga line of moments in which every member of the team, except Josh Dunkley and Sam Darcy, participated with gay abandon.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:13 PM

Macrae was caught on the overlap there and had no chance of making up the ground as he doesn't have the pace. He was starting on the wing.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:27 PM
Bont running too far and burning his forwards who had busted their arse leading to space.
He then proceeded to berate them for not being in the right spot after he took 2 bounces too many.
Just showed the mindset of the leaders.
I played as a forward. I would've made sure he knew that wasn't cool man!

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Bont running too far and burning his forwards who had busted their arse leading to space.
He then proceeded to berate them for not being in the right spot after he took 2 bounces too many.

We had a good view of that. Bont was clearly beckoning them to lead forward. Naughton ran back instead.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:30 PM
We had a good view of that. Bont was clearly beckoning them to lead forward. Naughton ran back instead.

Because he'd already run 50 metres full tilt to lead. The pass was on after the second bounce.
There's nothing worse than a mid going for a glory run and burning you.

jazzadogs
06-08-2022, 09:42 PM
Because he'd already run 50 metres full tilt to lead. The pass was on after the second bounce.
There's nothing worse than a mid going for a glory run and burning you.

You're really pushing this but I don't agree. Yes Naughton and weightman busted their arse to get to the forward line, but they absolutely should have hit up at him.

But also, Bont could see they weren't hitting up and his kick was inexcusable.

I actually would have liked to see one more bounce and long over the top to West in the hot spot.

jeemak
06-08-2022, 09:50 PM
Yeah in that instance Bont was in the right. Forwards need to look for an angle or spread to open space for each other. Running away from him wasn't doing that and he needed someone to lead at him hard even if that person was ignored in the first place.

I also find it mind boggling that we didn't have running support for him on the inside for him to possibly use to get it to the fat side. Every time Freo got out the back in the second half they had options. We just didn't work hard enough for each other between the arcs today.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:52 PM
You're really pushing this but I don't agree. Yes Naughton and weightman busted their arse to get to the forward line, but they absolutely should have hit up at him.

But also, Bont could see they weren't hitting up and his kick was inexcusable.

I actually would have liked to see one more bounce and long over the top to West in the hot spot.

Hand on heart it sounds like I'm pushing it but I was just so dissapointed in that play.

When Bont got it, there was no one up ahead. So he ran and it was a thing of beauty.
Naughton and Weightman were central and both absolutely sprinted to make an option.
I'm not sure if Marcus didn't see them after the second bounce (I can't remember mightve been the first) but there was space in front of them where the ball should've been put.
But he bounced it again.
I love Bont I'm not trying to shoot Bambi but his reaction to that was my biggest issue.
Of course it's because he bleeds for the team and feels it so much and was super frustrated but I personally felt on that occasion the two forwards did the right thing.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Yeah in that instance Bont was in the right. Forwards need to look for an angle or spread to open space for each other. Running away from him wasn't doing that and he needed someone to lead at him hard even if that person was ignored in the first place.

I also find it mind boggling that we didn't have running support for him on the inside for him to possibly use to get it to the fat side. Every time Freo got out the back in the second half they had options. We just didn't work hard enough for each other between the arcs today.

Freo went man on man when we were exiting, it really killed our overlap.
Man they were coached well.
But I'm going to die on this hill, Bont screwed it!

jeemak
06-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Watch it again. You'll find there was plenty of opportunity for someone to be hit up.

Bont should/ could have executed the longer kick which is something many of the players failed to do for whatever reason today. But, one of those guys in that instance should have gone at him.

If you get burned as a forward you try again, you don't stubbornly run backwards hoping for it to come over the top.

jeemak
06-08-2022, 09:55 PM
Additionally, where Naughton was running to was as low a percentage a place for him to kick at goal from as anywhere on the field.

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Freo went man on man when we were exiting, it really killed our overlap.
Man they were coached well.
But I'm going to die on this hill, Bont screwed it!

I think we’re showing more passion in debating this issue than our team showed all day.

There was a flatness and heaviness about the way we played that was really disappointing.

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:57 PM
I think we’re showing more passion in debating this issue than our team showed all day.

There was a flatness and heaviness about the way we played that was really disappointing.

Haha it's true. I walked to the ground really hopeful, man it was crushed quickly!

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 09:59 PM
Watch it again. You'll find there was plenty of opportunity for someone to be hit up.

Bont should/ could have executed the longer kick which is something many of the players failed to do for whatever reason today. But, one of those guys in that instance should have gone at him.

If you get burned as a forward you try again, you don't stubbornly run backwards hoping for it to come over the top.

I had a good view. Plus I may change my mind if I watch it again.

Dancin' Douggy
06-08-2022, 10:00 PM
Yes. I call them the 'glory' bounces. Looks great for you there in the spotlight, but they are selfish bounces that throw everyone ahead of you out of sync. Can't believe I'm criticising Bont, but the glory bounce utterly gives me the SH&%$#ts.

jeemak
06-08-2022, 10:02 PM
I had a good view. Plus I may change my mind if I watch it again.

NO! I want to see you die on that hill! You promised!

Grantysghost
06-08-2022, 10:02 PM
NO! I want to see you die on that hill! You promised!

Haha.

Dancin' Douggy
06-08-2022, 10:21 PM
The first time Freo went coast to coast started the alarm bells ringing. I thought straight away.....it's gonna be one of THOSE games..... and it was. I never ever ever felt for one second we were gonna win today when the game started. I was confident as hell on the way in on the train.

bornadog
07-08-2022, 12:22 AM

What I hated was Keath was running along with him, but instead of sheparding Bont, it forced Bont to run harder until he was fatigued and delivered a shocker. If Keath blocked and taken the pressure off, the result would have been different

kruder
07-08-2022, 02:37 AM
The last 2 minutes of the first half was the moment for mine. Elite pressure for 2 mins of an 80 min contest says it all.

I reckon Collingwood brought that kind of pressure for 60 mins last night.

SonofScray
07-08-2022, 02:48 AM
Hand on heart it sounds like I'm pushing it but I was just so dissapointed in that play.

When Bont got it, there was no one up ahead. So he ran and it was a thing of beauty.
Naughton and Weightman were central and both absolutely sprinted to make an option.
I'm not sure if Marcus didn't see them after the second bounce (I can't remember mightve been the first) but there was space in front of them where the ball should've been put.
But he bounced it again.
I love Bont I'm not trying to shoot Bambi but his reaction to that was my biggest issue.
Of course it's because he bleeds for the team and feels it so much and was super frustrated but I personally felt on that occasion the two forwards did the right thing.

Thought that was terrible play from our forwards who were cheating all night looking for ones over the top. Bont worked hard to take the ground, come up and meet the footy ffs. Someone had to push up and give him the clear option, or keep pushing up to create the overlap.

GVGjr
07-08-2022, 11:09 AM
There was a telling moment early in the game with that drilling low kick from Williams to Bruce who couldn't complete the mark eneded up being a bittersweet moment.
It highlighted that Bruce wasn't in the type of form needed because it was that's how most forwards would want the ball coming in but fortunately VDM was able to pick up the slack and kick the goal.

jeemak
07-08-2022, 11:12 AM
There was a telling moment early in the game with that drilling low kick from Williams to Bruce who couldn't complete the mark eneded up being a bittersweet moment.
It highlighted that Bruce wasn't in the type of form needed because it was that's how most forwards would want the ball coming in but fortunately VDM was able to pick up the slack and kick the goal.

That ball had a vicious twang on it and went to the defencive side. It typified the crap and ill-considered kicking our forwards have had to put up with all year.

It's been super noticeable at Marvel this year where our forwards are going into space and the ball is put behind them.

Grantysghost
07-08-2022, 11:31 AM
That ball had a vicious twang on it and went to the defencive side. It typified the crap and ill-considered kicking our forwards have had to put up with all year.

It's been super noticeable at Marvel this year where our forwards are going into space and the ball is put behind them.

Omg yes.

Seriously I don't know how my wife hasn't left me (or why she actually married me in the first place) but I constantly deride the delivery.
Its very very rarely to advantage. If I was the coach l I'd be saying "see how you kick it to the defenders? Do that but to our guys".
Bont is one of the worst. He has no depth control.

Libba is by far the best.

jeemak
07-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Omg yes.

Seriously I don't know how my wife hasn't left me (or why she actually married me in the first place) but I constantly deride the delivery.
Its very very rarely to advantage. If I was the coach l I'd be saying "see how you kick it to the defenders? Do that but to our guys".
Bont is one of the worst. He has no depth control.

Libba is by far the best.

Bont goes for kicks mere mortals just can't pull off, and they look great when he does.....and shit when they don't.

He's only going at ~71.5% efficiency this season which is pretty ordinary but again he's taking on a lot of territory on average at ~430m a game, which is pretty amazing given he played much of the first half of the season forward.

What I did see yesterday was signs of the likes of Cody being ignored a few times by our mids and the taller forwards when they had the footy, and it annoyed me. We got away with it once when Marra kicked it deep and ignored a perfect small forward lead from Cody, but didn't many other times.

FrediKanoute
07-08-2022, 10:02 PM
For me the moment was the Keath brush off that was deemed high. Poor kick put him under pressure and he brushes the freo guy off and gets pinged. Ironic that a similar free doen the other end was missed.

josie
08-08-2022, 12:38 AM
Healthy debate about Bont’s kick and whether forwards ran to right spots. Thanks GG, Jeemak, JazzaD, BTrag. Informative and sometimes illuminating to read posts from those that have played or watched and analysed the game longer then others. That’s why I love woof.

What I’ve noticed is, as Jeemak said, Cody leading multiple times and twisting his oppo player inside out and being ignored. I think the really good forwards lead multiple times, twisting oppo player inside out and working with their fellow forwards more cohesively (Geelong, Richmond) than we do. Perhaps Marra, Naughts, Bruce, Weightman still finding the recipe for working together.

Anyway, back to thread topic. I’m with Westbulldog - when we made no effort to adjust to Freo’s keeping’s off footy and kept playing the zone was my moment.

And off thread again…it annoys me no end that English punches 15 to 20m clear of centre clearance or ball up around ground when we are struggling and oppo often run away with it. If oppo are on top tap it straight down to ground and our mids should play man on man and make it a rugby scrum. Ugly as but make it a scrap where we might be able to match it with them rather than them streaming away and inevitably heading towards an easy, uncongested F50 entry.