PDA

View Full Version : Bevo

Twodogs
21-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Becomes the first Footscray/Western Bulldogs coach in 97 years to back up a Grand Final season with a finals appearance.

bornadog
21-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Greatest Bulldogs coach ever. Love Bevo and makes my blood boil when so called supporters want him out.

SonofScray
21-08-2022, 08:41 PM
Was very important that we make it, and we did.

Well done Bevo. Now win the lot, ta.

Twodogs
21-08-2022, 08:56 PM
Greatest Bulldogs coach ever. Love Bevo and makes my blood boil when so called supporters want him out.

Me too. I've always worried (and I still worry) that we will sack him and he will become a 5 time premiership coach with another club.

Essendon would be insane not to throw everything at Bevo to lead them out of the wilderness.

AshMac
21-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Me too. I've always worried (and I still worry) that we will sack him and he will become a 5 time premiership coach with another club.

Essendon would be insane not to throw everything at Bevo to lead them out of the wilderness.

Isn’t he contracted for another 2-3 years?

With loyalty being such a huge driver for him I find it hard to believe he would walk out on this plying group for more money

azabob
21-08-2022, 09:07 PM

With loyalty being such a huge driver for him I find it hard to believe he would walk out on this plying group for more money

End of next year I believe.

Grantysghost
21-08-2022, 09:11 PM
Coach since 15

Finals :

Never been a better coach at the dogs.

Twodogs
21-08-2022, 09:19 PM

Yeah I think that you're probably right. Luckily for us that's the measure of the man

angelopetraglia
21-08-2022, 10:04 PM
Coach since 15

Finals :

Finals now 6 out of 8 years. Incredible record and he has turned over a massive amount of that list in those 8 seasons. We can all be critical of him at times. But he has made finals 6 times in 8 years. 7 finals wins. Two GFs. One Premiership. Bulldogs GOAT.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-08-2022, 10:18 PM
Thankfully this site is more reasonable than some facebook sites. #In Bevo We Trust

Twodogs
21-08-2022, 11:29 PM
Thankfully this site is more reasonable than some facebook sites. #In Bevo We Trust

They can get a bit silly there for sure

comrade
22-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Say what you will about Bevo, but the day he stepped through the door, it’s like the bad juju and cursed history that had settled on the club like a dark cloud just disappeared. Regular finals, the most incredible flag ever, ridiculously unlikely wins, massive 100+ point dominations, weird things going in our favour (JUH, Carlton imploding etc). That sort of shit never happened to us before Bevo.

Some people are change makers and he’s one of them. You’ve got to love the crazy, handsome bastard.

hujsh
22-08-2022, 10:48 AM
Upon reflection I think there is value in making the finals this year. It seems pretty common for a team that gets smashed in a grand final to miss finals alltogether the next year (GSW, Adelaide, Port) so hopefully this helps build the team back up and right whatever has gone wrong.

So credit to Bevo for that.

Mofra
22-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Upon reflection I think there is value in making the finals this year. It seems pretty common for a team that gets smashed in a grand final to miss finals alltogether the next year (GSW, Adelaide, Port) so hopefully this helps build the team back up and right whatever has gone wrong.

I'm happy that Marra, Darcy & Richards will get a finals game under their belt
And we broke a curse with missing the finals a year after making a GF.

Axe Man
22-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Coach since 15

Finals :

Only the second time in history we have made 4 consecutive finals series (1997-2000 was the other).

soupman
22-08-2022, 11:13 AM

Making finals is always the better option, especially when tha alternative is a marginally higher still double digit pick and the false hope that missing out when spur some kind of helpful self reflection on behalf of the club.

Bizarrely I had no confidence in our ability to do the job in the last few home and away games, but am confident we can give the finals a good shake. Bevo has proven he can get us going for the big stuff and this is the weakest top 8 in terms of proven quality in a long time.

Mantis
22-08-2022, 11:14 AM
Only the second time in history we have made 4 consecutive finals series (1997-2000 was the other).

For a small club like ours it is a nice achievement, but there's a fair chance that in 3 of those 4 years we would've been beaten in an EF which isn't a good return.

Eastdog
22-08-2022, 11:27 AM
I'm happy that Marra, Darcy & Richards will get a finals game under their belt
And we broke a curse with missing the finals a year after making a GF.

Happy we didn’t miss out again after being in the GF the year before.

Scorlibo
22-08-2022, 12:05 PM
Very impressive achievement in an 18 team competition to make finals 6/8 years of Bevo’s tenure. We’re still searching for that top four finish, but we’ve shown the ability to go deep regardless.

Really excited with what we might be able to produce against Freo. A few of our best have been carrying niggles, now they get the chance for a rest. Freo have been beatable at home this year, and despite recent wins their form has been underwhelming. Also highly doubt Lobb can repeat that string of bombs that sunk us last time. We can win this.

dog town
22-08-2022, 12:16 PM
He shouldn’t be immune from criticism but too often the criticism is poorly conceived or lacks understanding behind the drivers of some decisions. Done a great job with a list that has never been as strong as the supporter base likes to believe.

There are some aspects of what he does that I would love to change but the overall package is very good.

hujsh
22-08-2022, 12:43 PM
He shouldn’t be immune from criticism but too often the criticism is poorly conceived or lacks understanding behind the drivers of some decisions. Done a great job with a list that has never been as strong as the supporter base likes to believe.

There are some aspects of what he does that I would love to change but the overall package is very good.

To be fair, it's not like any of us know what those drivers are beyond what we see on field. It's why we tend assume Schache is dropped for lack of pressure/intensity/physicality/not shepherding or something when otherwise he might have been playing okay beforehand. Despite our assumptions we still don't know what the reasons are. That said I think they're better assumptions than just Bevo having favourites or whatever.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 02:16 PM
To be fair, it's not like any of us know what those drivers are beyond what we see on field. It's why we tend assume Schache is dropped for lack of pressure/intensity/physicality/not shepherding or something when otherwise he might have been playing okay beforehand. Despite our assumptions we still don't know what the reasons are. That said I think they're better assumptions than just Bevo having favourites or whatever.

There's still a bit of that type of thinking, and to be fair, all coaches have their favourites it's just rarely for irrational reasons.

Bevo can be frustrating and his methods can be strange from the outside looking in, however, I've taken the view if I don't know and can't control it then I'd best not worry about it.

We've gotten great value out of him.

macca
22-08-2022, 02:25 PM
Coaching is not easy, as there are a number of moving parts, parameters to plug into the team, and an incomplete list due to skills gaps we don't have ( i.e Pure ruckman) or injuries

For what Bevo has achieved with all these limitations compared to the big clubs, its been a great return. Bevo has gotten us to 2 GF in his time, its quiet an achievement .

What I find challenging is how Bevo tries to train the players in multiple positions to address these list gaps . We have a glaring gap for a good long kicking and accurate wingman. A few players have been tried there this year, but it was a role Hunter did so well. I am not sure if some players can do Multi positions i.e Schache, Young could not , Will Sweet be more than just a tap ruckman , what could he become ? Is Bruce now playing dual positions now , with stints in the ruck and backline for chop out ?

Lots of questions and unknowns here.

But I wonder if the list needs to be cut harder to bring in types like Maynard, Johnsonson or Noble type players .
I use Collingwood, as they have done really well out of them this year, and to their credit contributed excellent.
Its very interesting challenge to see players evolve and grow their abilities.

jeemak
22-08-2022, 02:41 PM

The structural issues are there for all to see, but you're right, sometimes not admitted by the supporter base and commentariat when criticism is leveled at our performances.

Bulldog4life
23-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Last week AFL360 advertised all final teams coaches will be on this week and next week. But when they showed photos over the weekend guess whose photo was missing. Looking forward to next weeks shows to see if Bevo has relented.

azabob
23-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Last week AFL360 advertised all final teams coaches will be on this week and next week. But when they showed photos over the weekend guess whose photo was missing. Looking forward to next weeks shows to see if Bevo has relented.

I also noted this and thought wonder if B4L saw this also.

Bulldog4life
23-08-2022, 03:30 PM
I also noted this and thought wonder if B4L saw this also.

Hopefully Bevo bites the bullet Aza. He is a stubborn bastardo though.

azabob
23-08-2022, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Bevo bites the bullet Aza. He is a stubborn bastardo though.

Stubborn and if you cross him or someone close to him...

azabob
23-08-2022, 04:25 PM
Happy Birthday Bevo!

Twodogs
23-08-2022, 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday Bevo!

Happy birthday to Bevo
Happy birthday to Bevo
Haaappppy birthday dear Beh-vo!
Happy birthday to him!

boydogs
23-08-2022, 09:17 PM
Very impressive achievement in an 18 team competition to make finals 6/8 years of Bevo’s tenure. We’re still searching for that top four finish, but we’ve shown the ability to go deep regardless.

Really excited with what we might be able to produce against Freo. A few of our best have been carrying niggles, now they get the chance for a rest. Freo have been beatable at home this year, and despite recent wins their form has been underwhelming. Also highly doubt Lobb can repeat that string of bombs that sunk us last time. We can win this.

We didn’t have Sam Darcy in the forward line then either. Our turn for 4 easy mark-kick-goals

Bulldog4life
24-08-2022, 10:37 AM
Stubborn and if you cross him or someone close to him...

Announced on last night's AFL360 that Bevo will be on next week. Bulldogs directive? AFL directive? Or has Bevo softened?

GVGjr
24-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Announced on last night's AFL360 that Bevo will be on next week. Bulldogs directive? AFL directive? Or has Bevo softened?

Perhaps a combination of all 3. Bevo's attitude with the media clearly changed in the 2nd half of the season.

Bulldog4life
24-08-2022, 10:47 AM
Perhaps a combination of all 3. Bevo's attitude with the media clearly changed in the 2nd half of the season.

Agree but it has taken him a long time to appear. I also notice that Bevo is no longer a member of the coaches association. Didn't rejoin earlier this year. I wonder if he is the only one to do so.

mjp
24-08-2022, 10:55 AM
Agree but it has taken him a long time to appear. I also notice that Bevo is no longer a member of the coaches association. Didn't rejoin earlier this year. I wonder if he is the only one to do so.

Is it also true that 17 coaches attended the annual Gillon dinner and Bevo did not??

As Michael Warner likes to say, Bevo isn't 'house trained'.

I'm glad he's going on AFL 360 though...I feel like I have seen enough of the likes of Stewie Dew...we have a coach who has taken us to 2x GF's in 6 years and I want to be able to see more of him.

Bulldog4life
24-08-2022, 10:58 AM
Is it also true that 17 coaches attended the annual Gillon dinner and Bevo did not??

I'm glad he's going on AFL 360 though...I feel like I have seen enough of the likes of Stewie Dew...we have a coach who has taken us to 2x GF's in 6 years and I want to be able to see more of him.

That is true although I am not sure about all interstate coaches. Like you MJP I am looking forward to seeing Bevo next week as well. For our supporters sake.

bornadog
24-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Announced on last night's AFL360 that Bevo will be on next week.

Do you know what day? Every time I put that show on and Robbo starts to speak, I change the channel.

Bulldog4life
24-08-2022, 11:24 AM
Do you know what day? Every time I put that show on and Robbo starts to speak, I change the channel.

I only watch it when we win so not all the time. Even then we might not get a mention. Not sure what day next week.

G-Mo77
24-08-2022, 03:08 PM

You mean when Robbo starts to slur.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-08-2022, 03:13 PM

Yeah I had up until last year been a fairly regular watched of AFL 360.. but Robbo's whining and propensity to go off on his 'everyman style rant' just took it's toll. I just cannot watch anymore.

EasternWest
24-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Are these two things not concurrent?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-08-2022, 03:41 PM
I used to watch AFL 360 but Robbo is like the bloke at the pub after 8 beers who thinks he knows everything about the game.

Some of his comments / opinions are so outdated that even Wheatley cringes.

Grantysghost
24-08-2022, 03:54 PM
I used to watch AFL 360 but Robbo is like the bloke at the pub after 8 beers who thinks he knows everything about the game.

Some of his comments / opinions are so outdated that even Wheatley cringes.

He really has sold his soul young Gerard. But, a man needs to make a living.

That whole odd couple shtick is so indicative of where AFL media sits in the grand scheme of things.

jeemak
24-08-2022, 04:20 PM
That is true although I am not sure about all interstate coaches. Like you MJP I am looking forward to seeing Bevo next week as well. For our supporters sake.

Wasn't it a dinner at Gillon's house that Bevo didn't attend due to the short notice of the invite? And at the dinner some of the rules were discussed with broad agreement from coaches who did attend, but Bevo thought they were BS?

Can't find a link.....

bornadog
24-08-2022, 04:30 PM
Wasn't it a dinner at Gillon's house that Bevo didn't attend due to the short notice of the invite? And at the dinner some of the rules were discussed with broad agreement from coaches who did attend, but Bevo thought they were BS?

Can't find a link.....

They have the dinner every year. Not sure which year MJP is referring to.

Bevo was very vocal at the 2019 meeting regarding runners

Axe Man
24-08-2022, 04:42 PM
They have the dinner every year. Not sure which year MJP is referring to.

Bevo was very vocal at the 2019 meeting regarding runners

Fair enough too. You can't turn up to a fancy dinner at Gil's house in a dirty old pair of Asics.

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2022, 04:43 PM

Stewie Dew's mirror has seen enough of Stewie Dew (probably too much)

azabob
24-08-2022, 06:08 PM
In Bevo’s Brief he pointed out

1) We’ve beaten 3 teams in the top 4. My add to that is we should’ve beaten all 4.
2) Our brand is designed to win finals (contested ball)and he mentioned obviously we have some areas to work on.

I’ve been wondering over the past few weeks would we prefer to be say Geelong and dominate H&A but fail at finals; or follow our path of up and down during the season but knowing our system does work during finals.

Ideally we’d loved to have a better balance during the H&A.

Thoughts?

bornadog
24-08-2022, 06:11 PM
In Bevo’s Brief he pointed out

1) We’ve beaten 3 teams in the top 4. My add to that is we should’ve beaten all 4.
2) Our brand is designed to win finals (contested ball)and he mentioned obviously we have some areas to work on.

I’ve been wondering over the past few weeks would we prefer to be say Geelong and dominate H&A but fail at finals; or follow our path of up and down during the season but knowing our system does work during finals.

Ideally we’d loved to have a better balance during the H&A.

Thoughts?

Of course we don't want to fail in finals, but I would say we want a more consistent effort.

The first time we played Geelong, we really stuffed up in the first quarter and played catchup, only to lose by 13 points.

We have been up and down this year but only won 3 less than last year.

Twodogs
24-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Of course we don't want to fail in finals, but I would say we want a more consistent effort.

The first time we played Geelong, we really stuffed up in the first quarter and played catchup, only to lose by 13 points.

We have been up and down this year but only won 3 less than last year.

That really surprises me. It feels like we were much more dominant last year

G-Mo77
24-08-2022, 07:41 PM

We really dropped off late in the season, from memory we were top 4 for most of 2021. I think we've been average this season and extremely lucky to be playing finals.

Twodogs
24-08-2022, 08:02 PM
We really dropped off late in the season, from memory we were top 4 for most of 2021. I think we've been average this season and extremely lucky to be playing finals.

We missed out on the top 4 by a few points to West Coast in that game when the last quarter went for an hour and a half and finished 2 seconds after West Coast had covered the spread.

GVGjr
24-08-2022, 08:28 PM

We got off to a fast start last year (Bulldog Joe predicted it) and just tapered away later in the year whereas this year we haven't been convincing.

3 Wins difference doesn't sound a lot but it is.

Twodogs
24-08-2022, 08:33 PM
We got off to a fast start last year (Bulldog Joe predicted it) and just tapered away later in the year whereas this year we haven't been convincing.

3 more wins still wouldn't have given us a top 4 finish

jeemak
24-08-2022, 11:00 PM
We missed out on the top 4 by a few points to West Coast in that game when the last quarter went for an hour and a half and finished 2 seconds after West Coast had covered the spread.

That didn't happen and there were absolutely no issues with time keeping that day.

Twodogs
24-08-2022, 11:35 PM
That didn't happen and there were absolutely no issues with time keeping that day.

Had my team's around the wrong way, it was Brisbane that overtook us when Charlie Cameron kicked a goal in the 40th minute of the last quarter. Strangely enough the siren blew 3 seconds later. Cameron goals at 40.08, siren blows at 40.11. Naaaah! Nothin' strange about that

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2021/181920210821.html#prog

jeemak
24-08-2022, 11:41 PM
Had my team's around the wrong way, it was Brisbane that overtook us when Charlie Cameron kicked a goal in the 40th minute of the last quarter. Strangely enough the siren blew 3 seconds later. Cameron goals at 40.08, siren blows at 40.11. Naaaah! Nothin' strange about that

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2021/181920210821.html#prog

You don't recall the bit where the umpire called time on and the time keeper didn't run the clock for about half a minute?

Twodogs
24-08-2022, 11:48 PM
You don't recall the bit where the umpire called time on and the time keeper didn't run the clock for about half a minute?

Would that have made the quarter longer or shorter? I didn't pay a lot of attention in maths class. Too busy with conspiracy theories.

jeemak
25-08-2022, 12:00 AM
Would that have made the quarter longer or shorter? I didn't pay a lot of attention in maths class. Too busy with conspiracy theories.

It makes the quarter longer! :D

Twodogs
25-08-2022, 12:08 AM
It makes the quarter longer! :D

Correct! You passed the test...

So the quarter would have been even longer than the 40.11 it says on AFLtables?

bornadog
25-08-2022, 12:10 AM
Correct! You passed the test...

So the quarter would have been even longer than the 40.11 it says on AFLtables?

I thought it should have been shorter?

Twodogs
25-08-2022, 12:21 AM
I thought it should have been shorter?

Troublemaker

Bulldog4life
30-08-2022, 12:42 PM

Bevo DEFINITELY will be on AFL360 tonight. Promoted last night. Hilarious if he doesn't show up. Nah he'll be there.

mjp
30-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Bevo DEFINITELY will be on AFL360 tonight. Promoted last night. Hilarious if he doesn't show up. Nah he'll be there.

I hope they don't make a big deal over him not coming on much, not attending Gillon's dinner etc...I think he will want to talk about the footy - players and club - and not himself...I'm not sure he'll get that chance.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2022, 01:00 PM
I hope they don't make a big deal over him not coming on much, not attending Gillon's dinner etc...I think he will want to talk about the footy - players and club - and not himself...I'm not sure he'll get that chance.

Don't think they will. Heard Kingy say to Gerard on radio that they hadn't seen Bevo much this year. There was no malice in it.

bornadog
30-08-2022, 06:55 PM
Bevo on AFL360 tonight

The Underdog
30-08-2022, 07:07 PM

We also had a percentage 20% higher. Our best form last year was vastly better than this year.

azabob
30-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Bevo on AFL360 tonight

Thanks Sandra. B4L was well ahead of you on this one! Post #63!

GVGjr
30-08-2022, 11:23 PM
Bevo was great tonight. Really enjoyed the interview, he will get this team motivated and focused on this final.

bornadog
30-08-2022, 11:35 PM

Thanks missed it

GVGjr
30-08-2022, 11:51 PM

Was the Sandra mention Sandra Sully of late news fame?

azabob
31-08-2022, 07:18 AM
Was the Sandra mention Sandra Sully of late news fame?

Yeah it was. Glad you picked it up GVGjr

azabob
31-08-2022, 07:26 AM
Bevo was great tonight. Really enjoyed the interview, he will get this team motivated and focused on this final.

He was good. Kept to his own agenda. I wish it was a bit longer.

Gave Gerard a direct drive bye in a 30 second monologue on why the pre finals bye doesn't hinder the top 4. Whately is still banging on how the pre finals bye favours the bottom four.

Subtly dropped in we have beaten the top 3 of the top 4 and I think he isn't happy the team has been kicked off the Whitten Oval because of the construction.

Also gave Aaron Naughton a huge pump up as he is playing is 100th game on the weekend.

I'd like to add those three above points Bevo raised and not the hosts.

Robbo tried to get him to bite on Bontempelli and Macrae missed AA. Bevo basically said internally they didn't expect any of our players to make the final team.

Scorlibo
31-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Gave Gerard a direct drive bye in a 30 second monologue on why the pre finals bye doesn't hinder the top 4. Whately is still banging on how the pre finals bye favours the bottom four.

Glad he weighed in. Gerard keeps on going on about how after 22 rounds the ladder is the ultimate reflection of where teams stand. Yet in recent history there's often been only 1 game or 1 and a half games between the top four and 6th or 7th. And as Bevo pointed out, while playing 5 teams twice, some draws are much tougher than others. You'd think in the name of fairness that equalising the draw would be a higher priority than scrapping the pre-finals bye.

bornadog
31-08-2022, 10:03 AM
Glad he weighed in. Gerard keeps on going on about how after 22 rounds the ladder is the ultimate reflection of where teams stand. Yet in recent history there's often been only 1 game or 1 and a half games between the top four and 6th or 7th. And as Bevo pointed out, while playing 5 teams twice, some draws are much tougher than others. You'd think in the name of fairness that equalising the draw would be a higher priority than scrapping the pre-finals bye.

Don't we want to see the best of the players in finals? The Bye helps freshen up the players as well as allows any with concussion to see out their rest period.

Topdog
31-08-2022, 10:05 AM
Bulldogs / Bevo stuff starts at 25 minutes and 30 seconds for those who want to watch as little as possible of Robbo

jeemak
31-08-2022, 10:26 AM
Is Robbo genuinely hammered on that show?

I've not watched it for ages and he seemed to be slurring and leering all over the place, unable to get questions out coherently.

Bevo was good, I too noticed all the points Aza listed and thought the interview was well controlled from Bevo's side.

bornadog
31-08-2022, 10:32 AM
Is Robbo genuinely hammered on that show?

I've not watched it for ages and he seemed to be slurring and leering all over the place, unable to get questions out coherently.

He is the reason I don't watch that garbage. I don't even know what he was going on about when talking about Dani Laidley.

Scorlibo
31-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Don't we want to see the best of the players in finals? The Bye helps freshen up the players as well as allows any with concussion to see out their rest period.

Yeah, I'm pro-bye for that reason. It does suck the momentum out of the season slightly but I think the trade-off is worth it.

If anything I think the advantage given to the QF winners was too extreme and the finals have been much more exciting in the last six years since the pre-finals bye was introduced. Of course as Dogs supporters we've been the main beneficiaries so not sure our views count for much!

bornadog
31-08-2022, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I'm pro-bye for that reason. It does suck the momentum out of the season slightly but I think the trade-off is worth it.

If anything I think the advantage given to the QF winners was too extreme and the finals have been much more exciting in the last six years since the pre-finals bye was introduced. Of course as Dogs supporters we've been the main beneficiaries so not sure our views count for much!

The best advantage, as it should be, is finishing top 4 and the opportunity to go straight into a prelim

Topdog
31-08-2022, 11:26 AM
2 byes in 3 weeks isnt good. It has helped us before but lets stop pretending its a good thing.

Overall I like the pre finals bye but feel like they need to tweak something else in the finals structure to make it work.

azabob
31-08-2022, 11:34 AM
2 byes in 3 weeks isnt good. It has helped us before but lets stop pretending its a good thing.

Overall I like the pre finals bye but feel like they need to tweak something else in the finals structure to make it work.

Since when does the AFL care about fairness?

Dog eat dog world.

Bevo has been playing us all on a break, it is now obvious why we never finish top four.