PDA

View Full Version : How do we beat Fremantle in Perth

Bulldog Joe
25-08-2022, 10:10 AM
We all have angst around team selection, but what are the tactics we need to employ to get the win.

Personally, I want our midfield to defend when they need to do so, but I would like to see a more open forward line.

Let Naughton and Jamarra have free air for marks rather than competing with each other (and Weightman) for every high ball.

Are then any match ups we should be looking for?

Mofra
25-08-2022, 10:17 AM
I'm more worried about their small forward than their talls, even with Lobb kicking 4 goals last time we played.
All 4 were low percentage shots from outside 50, the chances of him kicking those again are small but our non-KPDs are 'attacking defenders' (apart from Duryea).

I assume we'll set up to lose taps then hope like hell English smokes Sean Darcy around the ground.

Their KPDs are very very good so we will need our mids to kick goals.

1eyedog
25-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Yep we need to match Fremantle's ability and willingness to work both ways. I'm not talking a hard tag anywhere we simply need to run hard defensively and apply pressure. I believe it's all in the head but for some reason there is at times an unwillingness to do it. For me it's a reason why we've been so inconsistent this year, a lack of a solid workrate. It's concerning.

I think we are ok when we get the ball but kicking straight at the pointy end would be useful too!

Axe Man
25-08-2022, 10:38 AM
I assume we'll set up to lose taps then hope like hell English smokes Sean Darcy around the ground.

English doesn't get smashed in hit outs anymore so we can't simply setup to lose them. Last time it was Darcy with 30 v English with 20. We absolutely need him to get to work around the ground and provide that run and link up play he is so good at.

We are the best centre clearance team in the league, the only concern there is when we allow the ball out the front of the stoppage. Freo are actually one of the worst for centre clearance numbers. In stoppage clearances Freo narrowly shade us (2nd v 5th). Last time we won centre clearances 15 v 10 and stoppage clearances 21 v 19.

So I'm ok with our ruck/clearance work, I don't think it's where the game will be won and lost. I am mostly concerned about their keepings off game style and ability to pick through our zone. We like to dominate territory and possession, if Freo are able to deny us those like last time it's going to be tough.

Boots
25-08-2022, 10:41 AM
The commentators at half time in the last Freo game mentioned that their main tactic was to preference an easy kick to any open player - so they weren't looking for specific field position, they were looking for the gaps in our zone. I think it was made to look better than it perhaps was by Lobb's three monster goals.

But, it's a good tactic against us because we have to overcommit to every marking contest. If you can fake out our defenders you'll get an easy kick most times, either by splitting the pack and rendering them ineffective, or getting them to mob the wrong guy.

It's a good tactic to expose the biggest weakness in our game - difficulty defending marks. It paid off more than it perhaps should have.

I feel like the only answer is hard two-way running. You need to defend the whole ground, getting outnumbers everywhere. Exhausting style of play.

Perhaps the only way to support this sort of fatigue-inducing game is to play a possession style when we have it, lots of short chip kicks.

1eyedog
25-08-2022, 10:52 AM
Cordy has to play on Logue surely? Logue is the exact type of player that validates Cordy's selection in the team.

bornadog
25-08-2022, 10:56 AM
Cordy has to play on Logue surely? Logue is the exact type of player that validates Cordy's selection in the team.

Who gets Lobb and Taberner?

Axe Man
25-08-2022, 11:08 AM

Lobb is their most dangerous tall forward so I hope Gardner takes him (was injured last time). Gards size and speed seem our best option for him. Maybe we can threaten to tear up Lobb's contract if he pulls that crap again. ;)

Taberner has been average this year, surely Keath is capable of playing on him if his body is sound?

Go_Dogs
25-08-2022, 11:41 AM
More worried about the Freo defence than their banged up forward line that won’t reproduce the type of impact it did a few weeks back.

Midfields fairly even on paper, Freo perhaps a better mix and more current 2022 form.

They probably have us for speed. Baz super important for us and sense another big finals performance on the cards.

azabob
25-08-2022, 11:55 AM
Tabernar has only played 13 games this year and has missed the last couple of games.

MrMahatma
25-08-2022, 12:11 PM
While we aren’t an old team, we’re experienced in finals. I’m hoping and expecting that will help. The midfield contest will be very important and Dunkley’s form is very promising for him to have a big final (and hopefully finals!)

bornadog
25-08-2022, 12:29 PM
Tabernar has only played 13 games this year and has missed the last couple of games.

Hopefully doesn't play

1eyedog
25-08-2022, 01:17 PM

Gardner and Keath I assume we'll go with a smaller opponent like Richards on Logue and won't play Cordy at all. Worried this will stifle Ed's game and maybe Logue gets off the chain in the air, although Richards is no slouch in the air either. If this happens hopefully Richards can hurt him offensively.

Not 100% that Tabener will play.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-08-2022, 08:38 PM
We just need to turn up. Last time we meet we forgot to show up and play the bulldog way.

Jeanette54
25-08-2022, 08:43 PM
I think a look at any final replay from 2016 will provide the blueprint. Manic defensive pressure and commitment in attack. I wonder what Clay Smith is doing that weekend.

Scorlibo
25-08-2022, 09:38 PM
To put it simply, I reckon we need to keep going with what's been going well, and do better with what's been going poorly.

What's been going well:

Last week our mids put together what I thought was perhaps the best showing this year, albeit against meagre opposition. They smashed Hawthorn at the clearances 49-22 and managed to get some real damage from them especially in the second quarter. The main factor in the demolition job was their willingness to take space away from the Hawthorn mids, with plenty of tackles on the inside and front-on pressure smothering their attempts at clean disposal. Tom Mitchell even resorted to throwing the ball. If we can bring that intensity to win the contest even when the ball's in their hands, it will once again give us first look.

Our rebound from the half back line has been boosted by the form of Ed Richards, who compliments Dale nicely, and Daniel who has been a bit patchy this year but at his best is a genuine asset. We look good on transition from defence to the midfield and we need these three to step up to the plate again.

Tim is probably the dominant ruckman in the competition right now. He's been just marginally off his early season form though. It would be nice if he could really put the foot down and torch Darcy around the ground, like we know he can. Tim getting back to help the defence will be crucial too.

What's been going poorly:

Our contested footy in the forward line. This is what I'm most worried about. We've been poor all year, we've allowed the opposition's interceptors to go to work, and we've looked off the pace when the ball hits the ground. When the mids arrive the forward pressure is better and we can lock it in, but when it's even numbers it's kind of unbelievable how few Bulldogs jumpers you can see in the frame of the broadcast. Our smalls should have one arm across their defenders around high balls because they haven't earned the right to do their own thing. We've also not been getting bang for our buck from our tall forwards in the form of marks inside fifty. Too many occasions where Naughton and Jamarra both go up. We'll rarely get a mark in such situations, so the guys need to spread themselves out. Naughton is the best aerialist in the game, let's give him a clean look at it.

Our one-on-one defending. This one's obvious, we've only been talking about it all year on this forum. We simply don't have the cattle right now. Hopefully Duryea in his second game back can give us a bit more resistance. The back six will have to back themselves to get across and help out their teammates as third man up.

Defending transition. Another obvious one that's been spoken about a lot. We simply can't leave them with the kind of gaping holes that opened in our zone during our last encounter. The blueprint for us was probably in the Giants game in the following week, where we knuckled down to curtail the switch. In that game it probably left us without the petrol tickets to get it done on the inside, so it will be a balancing act.

mjp
26-08-2022, 01:45 PM
How do we beat Fremantle:

1/. TAG Brayshaw. < 4 Handball receives. < 2 uncontested marks. He'll get his, but don't 'GIVE' them to him. He gets very jumpy when he isn't getting the ball and turns it over in those situations.

2/. Serrong is a brilliant stoppage player - he doesn't need a tag but there does need to be an awareness of where he is anywhere forward of centre.

3/. Luke Ryan - ZERO UNCONTESTED INTERCEPT MARKS. Play with an ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

4/. Darcy runs into that hole 35m out from goal...when he does, he needs company. No goals for Darcy.

5/. They want to possess the ball out of D50. DO NOT LET THEM. Take away the outlets by defending boundary side. Take away the corridor hitups by getting an elbow in the chest of half-forwards like Frederick and Schultz.

There are some other one-on-one stuff you would do but big picture, that's it. Target their best players. Don't let them chip it around. Done.

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2022, 02:04 PM

1/. TAG Brayshaw. < 4 Handball receives. < 2 uncontested marks. He'll get his, but don't 'GIVE' them to him. He gets very jumpy when he isn't getting the ball and turns it over in those situations.

2/. Serrong is a brilliant stoppage player - he doesn't need a tag but there does need to be an awareness of where he is anywhere forward of centre.

3/. Luke Ryan - ZERO UNCONTESTED INTERCEPT MARKS. Play with an ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

4/. Darcy runs into that hole 35m out from goal...when he does, he needs company. No goals for Darcy.

5/. They want to possess the ball out of D50. DO NOT LET THEM. Take away the outlets by defending boundary side. Take away the corridor hitups by getting an elbow in the chest of half-forwards like Frederick and Schultz.

There are some other one-on-one stuff you would do but big picture, that's it. Target their best players. Don't let them chip it around. Done.

Thanks mjp.

I knew you would have the strategy. Lets hope Bevo has an effective plan.

I really believe we should win, but I don't have the same confidence that we actually will.

Grantysghost
26-08-2022, 02:13 PM

Defensively we can't give them the leg rope we did last time.
Those strategies you've described will hopefully nullify that. It has to be a concerted effort across the board, highlighted before the game: just don't allow the easy hitups!

mjp
26-08-2022, 03:30 PM
I knew you would have the strategy.

LOL - strategy shmategy. Footy ultimately comes down to which team is prepared to run with intent to attack and defend for the LONGEST. Doing things like shutting down key oppo play-makers (or just kicking loads of goals) contribute to this as they suck the confidence and hence life out of the other team.

We *MIGHT* win. But I think Freo have been 2-3 games better than us on the season and suspect that will be the case next Saturday night. Defensively they are very tough to overcome which leads to turnovers, frustration and ultimately players 'making stuff up' to try and create a goal rather than just being predictable to one another...

I'm actually not looking forward to the train-ride home. There's some 2021 GF potential except this time rather than being surrounded by a lot of Melbourne wannabes who were 1-game supporters and didn't really care, this time I will be surrounded by some pretty OTT people in Freo regalia telling me how 'starved' of success they have been.

Mofra
26-08-2022, 03:36 PM
Defensively we can't give them the leg rope we did last time.
Those strategies you've described will hopefully nullify that. It has to be a concerted effort across the board, highlighted before the game: just don't allow the easy hitups!
We were absolute poo last time we played them, and it took some freakish Lobb kicks to get them over the line against us.
I'd seriously look at adding a West/McNeill type to our mix as it will be shutting down the huge amounts of space they had against us that will help us win this one. They pretty much walked it out of defence up to their HF line, where they only had to connect that last kick under a little bit of pressure to get a shot on goal.

Those cheap 45s into the hands of Ryan and/or Hayden Young will kill us. Honestly, if I had to pick any HB rebounder in the comp to join the bulldogs I'd take Young over anyone else, including AA squad members.

josie
26-08-2022, 04:27 PM
We were absolute poo last time we played them, and it took some freakish Lobb kicks to get them over the line against us.
I'd seriously look at adding a West/McNeill type to our mix as it will be shutting down the huge amounts of space they had against us that will help us win this one. They pretty much walked it out of defence up to their HF line, where they only had to connect that last kick under a little bit of pressure to get a shot on goal.

Those cheap 45s into the hands of Ryan and/or Hayden Young will kill us. Honestly, if I had to pick any HB rebounder in the comp to join the bulldogs I'd take Young over anyone else, including AA squad members.

Interesting your opinion of Young. I’ve seen very little if Freo but what I have seen I reckon he is a pearler and would love to have him in our team. Is he related to the Lachie Young we had that went to North Melb? (Nowhere near as talented from my recollection including our plastering of thtm last year where he was worst in ground by a mile and a half).

Axe Man
26-08-2022, 04:36 PM
Interesting your opinion of Young. I’ve seen very little if Freo but what I have seen I reckon he is a pearler and would love to have him in our team. Is he related to the Lachie Young we had that went to North Melb? (Nowhere near as talented from my recollection including our plastering of thtm last year where he was worst in ground by a mile and a half).

Brothers. Lachie is in a long line of less talented brothers that have pulled on a Bulldogs guernsey.

jeemak
26-08-2022, 04:48 PM
I'm wondering if Fremantle is capable of changing their strategy/ tactics in ball movement from when we last played them to something more direct and quicker.

Appreciate that they don't want to out smart themselves, however, if it was so obvious they beat us in retaining possession and considered ball movement last time they might expect that we have trained for that and will have a mitigation plan to shut it down. So what else are they capable of?

mjp
26-08-2022, 04:59 PM
I'm wondering if Fremantle is capable of changing their strategy/ tactics......

Well...don’t get beat by what you know. If they change their season long plan and win because of it, good luck to them.

Axe Man
26-08-2022, 05:13 PM
Well...don’t get beat by what you know. If they change their season long plan and win because of it, good luck to them.

Weren't Freo a little more daring with the ball earlier in the season? Seems like they have played slower and more deliberately in the second half which has coincided with a drop off in form.

jeemak
26-08-2022, 05:14 PM

That's what I've been thinking. In saying that, I will be mightily annoyed if we end up getting beaten the same way without being more assertive in how we close space/ their loose players in transition.

bornadog
26-08-2022, 05:25 PM
That's what I've been thinking. In saying that, I will be mightily annoyed if we end up getting beaten the same way without being more assertive in how we close space/ their loose players in transition.

One of our issues last time was the number of times we turned it over coming out of our backline.

The other thing I would like to see is if a player is in kicking range of the goals to just have a shot. Stop trying to find some one 20m out from goal. If you can kick the distance, bloody well have a shot, who cares what angle you are on. VDM is one that is very guilty as has been Macrae. I prefer to see a shot at goal, rather than turn the ball over and the opposition take the ball end to end.

jeemak
26-08-2022, 05:44 PM
One of our issues last time was the number of times we turned it over coming out of our backline.

The other thing I would like to see is if a player is in kicking range of the goals to just have a shot. Stop trying to find some one 20m out from goal. If you can kick the distance, bloody well have a shot, who cares what angle you are on. VDM is one that is very guilty as has been Macrae. I prefer to see a shot at goal, rather than turn the ball over and the opposition take the ball end to end.

We heap the pressure on our defenders when we turn it over, or if we don't enter the forward fifty deeply.

bornadog
26-08-2022, 05:57 PM
We heap the pressure on our defenders when we turn it over, or if we don't enter the forward fifty deeply.

Some of the players are in the 50, but maybe 30/40 m out and they are trying to find someone in a better position. For gods sake, take the responsibility and have a ping

Grantysghost
26-08-2022, 06:04 PM

Freo had all the exits blocked and were pretty much man on man when we were exiting.. Well everyone was close to a man it wasn't a traditional zone.
We need more run from behind to create the overlap and draw their defenders off their man.
We also need to back in our forwards one on one and get it to them quickly, with a kick to advantage before a third man up can arrive. We really ran ourselves in circles not wanting to kick to a contest.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hannan come in as a forward for this reason. Bigger body in one on ones.

josie
26-08-2022, 07:02 PM
Freo had all the exits blocked and were pretty much man on man when we were exiting.. Well everyone was close to a man it wasn't a traditional zone.
We need more run from behind to create the overlap and draw their defenders off their man.
We also need to back in our forwards one on one and get it to them quickly, with a kick to advantage before a third man up can arrive. We really ran ourselves in circles not wanting to kick to a contest.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hannan come in as a forward for this reason. Bigger body in one on ones.

Agreed with everything you said except 2nd last sentence. Got a funny feeling Bevo might agree with you.

Mofra
26-08-2022, 07:33 PM
Yep, brothers as mentioned. Lachie was a rookie pick by us and Hayden was at the pointy end, for good reason.
He's 21 and would be ahead of Bailey Dale right now, let alone in a couple of years, An absolute beauty.

Mofra
26-08-2022, 07:35 PM
I'm wondering if Fremantle is capable of changing their strategy/ tactics in ball movement from when we last played them to something more direct and quicker.

Appreciate that they don't want to out smart themselves, however, if it was so obvious they beat us in retaining possession and considered ball movement last time they might expect that we have trained for that and will have a mitigation plan to shut it down. So what else are they capable of?
Retaining possession and using those cheap 45s that we just give up on the mark means they retain the ball right up until the last kick - GWS used the same tactic, as a bottom 4 side, and almost beat us.

We just don't pressure the opposition ball carrier well enough for a team to want to take riskier options against us when we're giving them 60-80 uncontested marks per game.

westbulldog
27-08-2022, 10:50 AM
Put intense pressure, no easy exits, on their defence which is their strength. i.e their points against (1486) is up with Geelong (1488) and Melbourne (1483).
B Aish Cox Clark / HB Young Pearce Ryan,

Sedat
27-08-2022, 11:48 AM
If we bring the F50 heat that we brought to the Hawthorn game (25 tackles in F50), they will be forced to find other avenues to score other than retaining possession by foot and slicing through our zone like they did last time.

SonofScray
27-08-2022, 01:10 PM
If we can manage to score more than the opposition in the allocated time for play, I reckon we’re in with a chance.

whythelongface
27-08-2022, 06:17 PM
It all comes down to our inside 50’s and if we can convert. We need to have clear one on ones and not have our talks spoil each other. Cody needs to lead or crumb rather than pack mark. Having Darcy forward will provide a great option. It will then be up to our mids to provide clean delivery. Freo’s defence is good but three tall mobile targets will stretch them.

Bullies
29-08-2022, 03:42 PM
I think the first 5 - 10 minutes will tell if we are on. You can usually tell early with us.

The rest will certainly help Bont/Macrae/Libber who appeared a bit banged up by the end of season.

Not sure what we will get to be honest.

Freo completely dominated us a few weeks ago and the score flattered us although they did take the foot of the pedal.

Boots
29-08-2022, 04:21 PM
I think the first 5 - 10 minutes will tell if we are on. You can usually tell early with us.

This is the most depressingly true thing in the whole thread

GVGjr
29-08-2022, 04:27 PM

The rest will certainly help Bont/Macrae/Libber who appeared a bit banged up by the end of season.

Not sure what we will get to be honest.

Freo completely dominated us a few weeks ago and the score flattered us although they did take the foot of the pedal.

While that is true, I think the same can be said for the last 5 minutes of the first quarter. Just as important for us not to cough up a couple of late goals and maybe hit the scoreboard ourselves.

Axe Man
29-08-2022, 04:33 PM
This is the most depressingly true thing in the whole thread

Disagree. There have been plenty of games this year where the first 5 - 10 minutes have been in no way indicative of how the game is going to go. Of course there will be games where you start poorly and continue that way for most of the game, but there have been plenty of examples of good (or at least reasonable) starts that have turned south and vice versa.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2022, 10:11 PM
How does the weather forecast change the game strategy? It looks like it will be a very different game to the perfect conditions of Marvel if this comes true.

Perth - BOM Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds easterly 25 to 35 km/h. Chance of rainfall 90%. 4 to 8mm. Min 11c. Max 20C.

MrMahatma
29-08-2022, 10:45 PM
How does the weather forecast change the game strategy? It looks like it will be a very different game to the perfect conditions of Marvel if this comes true.

Perth - BOM Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds easterly 25 to 35 km/h. Chance of rainfall 90%. 4 to 8mm. Min 11c. Max 20C.

I guess that’d make their short kicking/high possession game more risky. It’d also mean a Naughty, Marra, Darcy fwd line may not work.
Cody to kick 5?

westbulldog
29-08-2022, 11:15 PM
Brayshaw must also be negated, put Bailey Smith on him and make him accountable for Smith.

Mantis
30-08-2022, 10:07 AM
Brayshaw must also be negated, put Bailey Smith on him and make him accountable for Smith.

Smith is less impactful (and accountable) than Brayshaw as a mid so I can’t see how we win this battle.

westbulldog
30-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Smith is less impactful (and accountable) than Brayshaw as a mid so I can’t see how we win this battle.

You forget Bailey Smith's brilliant finals series last year, Brayshaw hasn't been in that territory.

Happy Days
30-08-2022, 11:25 AM
I think I know what you’re getting at with “as a mid” but I don’t know if less impactful is the right way to put it. Smith has shown a devastating burst of speed and goal scoring ability that Brayshaw really hasn’t.

We’re gonna have to outgun them to win, I don’t hate the suggestion.

Mantis
30-08-2022, 01:23 PM
You forget Bailey Smith's brilliant finals series last year, Brayshaw hasn't been in that territory.

Smith was mainly playing on a HFF in the finals last year.

westbulldog
30-08-2022, 01:51 PM
Smith was mainly playing on a HFF in the finals last year.

So who do you put on Brayshaw to counter his obvious importance to Freo ?

Mantis
30-08-2022, 02:03 PM
So who do you put on Brayshaw to counter his obvious importance to Freo ?

Given we never try to curb the influence of the oppositions best mid I doubt we will change our ways this week so it's a pointless exercise.

Scorlibo
30-08-2022, 02:10 PM
Maybe this is misguided but I'm more concerned with Serong than Brayshaw. Serong is their source midfielder, clearance specialist and is in form. Brayshaw is more an uncontested player who works extremely hard on the spread as well as to negate opposition opportunities. He'll be influential defensively regardless of how we play him I suspect, but if we limit Serong's influence on the inside we stop it getting to the outside in the first place.