GVGjr
03-09-2022, 11:29 PM
Bump

hujsh
03-09-2022, 11:45 PM
This feels cruel

EasternWest
03-09-2022, 11:49 PM
3. Some of Bontempelli's body language in the second half was really poor and I'm not sure I've seen that from him before.
2. We have to sign Dunkley.
1. We desperately need a lead up forward.

SonofScray
03-09-2022, 11:50 PM
Bevo has taken them as far as he can. He can’t come back from the last two finals collapses and a very mediocre season.

josie
03-09-2022, 11:55 PM
Bevo has taken them as far as he can. He can’t come back from the last two finals collapses and a very mediocre season.

I wonder if he’ll pull up stumps if not this year then next year when his contract is up. Cannot see us as top 4 next year. Maybe scrape into the 8.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2022, 11:56 PM
1. Bevo and this group are done. Mentally weak. There's no way back from here.

2. If Dunkley goes can we trade Treloar too? Tongue in cheek but his year has been putrid and his effort and body language is appalling.

3. Rebuild the list. There's no other way. Don't want Lobb, don't want Jones. Rebuild it.

Grantysghost
04-09-2022, 12:00 AM
Point 2 hallelujah. The guy looks like he's just happy to cook some Mission Fajitas and take his pay check.

He still loves Collingwood.

Bullies
04-09-2022, 12:26 AM
3. Some of Bontempelli's body language in the second half was really poor and I'm not sure I've seen that from him before.

the body language walking off at half time was dreadful. You could see they were cooked.

SonofScray
04-09-2022, 12:27 AM
the body language walking off at half time was dreadful. You could see they were cooked.

That was creeping in from about half way through the season. I recall the other week at half time noting the number of blokes down on the haunches, or with heads slumped as they went to the huddle. Bad, bad look.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2022, 12:31 AM
That was creeping in from about half way through the season. I recall the other week at half time noting the number of blokes down on the haunches, or with heads slumped as they went to the huddle. Bad, bad look.

Is it fitness or are they mentally done?

SonofScray
04-09-2022, 12:36 AM
Is it fitness or are they mentally done?

We've looked off the mark physically all year and had players playing hurt. That has to be a factor. But this grinding to a halt, failing to find anything extra under duress is really emblematic of them now.

whythelongface
04-09-2022, 12:54 AM
1. We need a decent off season with plenty of self reflection.
2. All is not doom and gloom. Bevo is still the man to take us forward- we came out firing and had a plan. Obviously we didn’t execute to the end but we still have the coach to take us forward. Just need a few more pieces in the puzzle for us to get back to the top.
3. Our forwards let us down tonight but give them a preseason or two with some forward craft coaching then we will really hit our straps.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2022, 01:02 AM
1. We need a decent off season with plenty of self reflection.
2. All is not doom and gloom. Bevo is still the man to take us forward- we came out firing and had a plan. Obviously we didn’t execute to the end but we still have the coach to take us forward. Just need a few more pieces in the puzzle for us to get back to the top.
3. Our forwards let us down tonight but give them a preseason or two with some forward craft coaching then we will really hit our straps.

Agree. We need some food forward coaches! We need to bolster the coaching ranks.

MrMahatma
04-09-2022, 02:11 AM
1. We have sooooo much talent that we can be 6 goals up against the best defensive team in the league… in the first qtr!
2. We have sooooo many average footballers on our list. They love it when it’s going their way and can’t change it when it’s not.
3. I’m shitty but also… kinda happy. Something’s gotta give. This season has been sh[t and we need to fix it. 2023 we need to be in the mix. 2022 is a disgrace. I love Bevo. I’m on the record that I think Power gets a pass on everything. Those 2 need to sort this list out, or 1 needs to leave.

Pottz
04-09-2022, 09:32 AM

He looked genuinely annoyed whenever he was in forward 50 and the ball came in, he turned and remonstrated with the kicker almost every time. Considering the game he had it’s easy to understand why. Poor guy was probably wondering why he bothers.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 09:33 AM
He looked genuinely annoyed whenever he was in forward 50 and the ball came in, he turned and remonstrated with the kicker almost every time. Considering the game he had it’s easy to understand why. Poor guy was probably wondering why he bothers.

Fair point. It's not like he doesn't carry his end of the bargain.

westbulldog
04-09-2022, 10:16 AM
1. The posts from those expecting Marcus Bontempelli to do everything perfectly are disrespectful, misplaced, plainly wrong and imo idiotic.
2. The selection panel needs a total overhaul, whoever is on it has outdone themselves and bewildered supporters all year. e.g The ridiculous selections late in the year of Bruce and Vandermeer (vdm over West and Garcia), the non selection of Sweet for 2 years - never given a decent run at it to prove or disprove his worth....the examples in 2022 are endless.
3. The coaching panel needs change. The results don't suggest Webb and Spangher have been successes whilst Boyd, Corey, (Murphy and Garlick) are at the Dockers and we don't have Dale Morris.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 10:30 AM
1. The posts from those expecting Marcus Bontempelli to do everything perfectly are disrespectful, misplaced, plainly wrong and imo idiotic.

Firstly, show me anywhere that anyone said he needs to do everything perfectly? If you're going to call people idiotic for expressing legitimate criticisms then you're going to be called idiotic for being so hyperbolic.

I can't speak for other people, but the two observations I made re Bontempelli were: in the second half some of his body language was poor. That's a fact, go back and watch again if you disagree.

He missed a relatively straight forward set shot. That's a fact.

I don't think he should do everything perfectly - I mean that's a ridiculous impossibility anyway - but do I think our million dollar a year captain who is a remarkable kick on both feet should kick relatively simple set shot goals? Yes, and I don't think that's unfair.

I'm not the boss of this forum so I don't tell people what they can or can't say, but I strongly disagree with the use of the word idiotic for valid criticism.

And before you reply with "but what about" for balance sake I thought Bont was or best/2nd best last night and never question his effort or desire.

bornadog
04-09-2022, 12:23 PM
1. We have had an inconsistent year and last night showed our best and worse with no 4 quarter performance.

2. We lack genuine defenders and small crumbers in the forward line.

3. We need to rethink our game plan for 2023 and make tweaks, we can't play the same style as this year.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2022, 01:40 PM

Lobb?

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 01:47 PM
Lobb?

I was thinking Tory Dickson.

Scorlibo
04-09-2022, 01:57 PM
1. We've been talking about our key defensive woes all year but under the lights in a final it was our forward line that failed to fire a shot. The good news is we have the talent, the bad news is they're not yet ready to perform when the heat is on, and possibly aren't being given the right instructions. Four goals from our forwards, including two to JJ first game back, it's just not enough.

2. It's taken me all year but I've finally learned that Ryan Gardner is at the level. He might never be elite as a key but 16 spoils in a final was immense (next best 4). He just kept on smacking it away against an avalanche of repeat entries. He needs support now from someone who can consistently intercept mark. Keath played this role okay, but we need a plan long-term for this post.

3. As a team we're complacent within games and don't have the killer instinct of 2021. The guys don't look like they're enjoying their footy, negative mindsets and finger pointing abound. Never thought I'd see that in a Bevo side.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 02:01 PM
2. It's taken me all year but I've finally learned that Ryan Gardner is at the level. He might never be elite as a key but 16 spoils in a final was immense (next best 4). He just kept on smacking it away against an avalanche of repeat entries. He needs support now from someone who can consistently intercept mark. Keath played this role okay, but we need a plan long-term for this post.

He was pretty secure with the ball in his hand too. Thought he was even a bit stiff to have the free paid against him to Lobb when they were both wrestling.

Absolutely earnt his spot the hard way.

SonofScray
04-09-2022, 10:08 PM
3. As a team we're complacent within games and don't have the killer instinct of 2021. The guys don't look like they're enjoying their footy, negative mindsets and finger pointing abound. Never thought I'd see that in a Bevo side.

They haven’t looked like they’ve had fun outside that run to the 2019 EF and the finals last year much at all. We play a very joyless, mechanical game. Here’s our best, show us yours and we’ll see what happens.

For mine, they need a shake up and some opportunities to explore the game and their talent from a different perspective. Quickly.

AshMac
05-09-2022, 07:27 AM
1. We’ve been cooked since round 3, always nice to play finals but we were making up the numbers and freo are a better team

2. With our list it’s time for some deep reflection and a complete overhaul of the assistant coaching panel. Would be a top 3 list IMO

3. Probably the most disappointing thing is the complete collapse of so many good players seasons - Keath, Williams, Hunter

bornadog
05-09-2022, 10:27 AM
3. Probably the most disappointing thing is the complete collapse of so many good players seasons - Keath, Williams, Hunter

For me, the most puzzling is Williams. Hunter had the mental health issues, and Keath's body is banged up, but we just don't know what has happened to Williams.

Mantis
05-09-2022, 10:33 AM
For me, the most puzzling is Williams. Hunter had the mental health issues, and Keath's body is banged up, but we just don't know what has happened to Williams.

He had 2 absolutely awful games against Melbourne and it’s clearly affected his confidence… since then he’s been dropped and when he returned he’s played numerous roles and probably doesn’t know if he’s coming or going.

Bevo loves to throw the magnets around and whilst there’s been some positives (Daniel & Dale come to mind) it’s failed many more times.

ReLoad
05-09-2022, 10:36 AM

Overall I think its fair to say that we've had more players have a "down year" than those that have had an "up year".

our bottom 6 players on the field at any one time are so far off its not funny, we have a complete lack of "role" players.

We are not capable of playing any sort of dour football. All we had to do after getting 6 goals up was sit on Sarong and Brayshaw and they would have not been capable of bridging that back.

Mantis
05-09-2022, 10:45 AM
Overall I think its fair to say that we've had more players have a "down year" than those that have had an "up year".

our bottom 6 players on the field at any one time are so far off its not funny, we have a complete lack of "role" players.

We are not capable of playing any sort of dour football. All we had to do after getting 6 goals up was sit on Sarong and Brayshaw and they would have not been capable of bridging that back.

The space that Bailey Smith gave Serong & Brayshaw at stoppages was astounding.

Baz is a very talented, but gives no *!*!*!*!s about his opponent and he needs to if he is to become the player we think he can.

Sedat
05-09-2022, 10:47 AM
He had 2 absolutely awful games against Melbourne and it’s clearly affected his confidence… since then he’s been dropped and when he returned he’s played numerous roles and probably doesn’t know if he’s coming or going.

Bevo loves to throw the magnets around and whilst there’s been some positives (Daniel & Dale come to mind) it’s failed many more times.
Bevo is definitely of the Malcolm Blight/Terry Wallace school of instinctive coaching and off-field themes/inspiration, seeking to alter the course during matchdays, as opposed to having a clear, rigid game style and structure that the players all know and understand their role within. He came up against Justin Longmuir, who is very much in the latter mould. I'm not sure which is actually better - Bevo brilliantly manipulated a hostile away final with his method in the first 40 minutes, but Longmuir just as brilliantly took away from our strengths and kept his team focused on all their respective roles until they wore us down. Bevo similaly achieved fantastic results in-game for almost 2 quarters in the GF last year until it all spectactularly fell apart, again against a rigid and more methodical coach.

Some players love the flexibility but some would really struggle with it - it looks like Williams is one who needs structure and role definition.

AshMac
06-09-2022, 08:24 AM
The space that Bailey Smith gave Serong & Brayshaw at stoppages was astounding.

Baz is a very talented, but gives no *!*!*!*!s about his opponent and he needs to if he is to become the player we think he can.

He’s another one that fell off a cliff. Never came back from those 4 weeks off with the same impact

AshMac
06-09-2022, 08:25 AM

I love Williams - think he is a genuine AA player at his best. His season last year felt like the second coming, I thought he’d explode and become our most important defender.

Went the other way. I think a lot of it is between the ears but also think he’s a player that really shines when in absolute peak fitness and I question whether he was this year