PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Demons

GVGjr
29-03-2008, 08:54 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go with Giansiracusa

I'm not 100% sure why, but I'm not as confident as the tipsters seem to be. I think we will win by 20 points but it won't be that convincing.

This is a brief summary from the Age

MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
Saturday, March 29, 2.10pm AEDT, MCG

MELBOURNE
B: Paul Wheatley, Nathan Carroll, Colin Garland
HB: Clint Bartram, Daniel Bell, Simon Buckley
C: Brad Green, Brock McLean, Cale Morton
HF: Cameron Bruce, Brad Miller, Lynden Dunn
F: Michael Newton, David Neitz, Russell Robertson
Foll: Jeff White, James McDonald, Nathan Jones
I/C: Isaac Weetra, Colin Sylvia, Aaron Davey, Paul Johnson
EMG: Ben Holland, Ricky Petterd, Brent Moloney

In: Bartram, Dunn, Sylvia
Out: Brent Moloney, Ricky Petterd, Adem Yze

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee, Brian Lake
HB: Ryan Griffen, Cameron Wight, Ryan Hargrave
C: Nathan Eagleton, Scott West, Daniel Cross
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jason Akermanis, Will Minson, Scott Welsh
Foll: Ben Hudson, Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney
I/C: Josh Hill, Shaun Higgins, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dylan Addison
EMG: Tim Callan, Stephen Tiller, Peter Street

No changes

LAST TIME R19, 2007, Melb 19.15 (129) d WBulldogs 12.15 (87) at Telstra Dome
HEAD TO HEAD Melbourne 83 Bulldogs 65 Drawn 0
AT THIS GROUND Melbourne 43, Western Bulldogs 22
IN THE 2000s Melbourne 10, Western Bulldogs 5
COACHES Bailey 0, Eade 0
UMPIRES 4 Farmer, 19 Kamolins, 25 Ryan
BETTING Melbourne $3.10, Western Bulldogs $1.33
TV Channel 10, 3pm
RADIO 3AW, 774ABC, TripleM

As outlandish as it might seem, Melbourne's 2008 season could virtually be dead and buried by 5pm on Saturday. The Demons' embarrassing 104-point defeat by a suspension-depleted Hawthorn side last week demands an immediate riposte from the beleaguered Demons players. Melbourne's youngsters will be better for the run but the example will have to be set by the likes of David Neitz, Brad Green and Cameron Bruce, who were ineffectual in the season-opener. The Bulldogs carved out a three-point win over Adelaide, which will give them confidence. They may be wary of Melbourne's desperation to make amends but they may also realise there is little hope the Demons have the artillery to regroup.

Key The Bulldogs look to have all the answers at the stoppages through the likes of Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Daniel Cross and Scott West.

The Coon Dog
29-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I got Scott Welsh last week. Aker this week. Dogs to win by 23 points.

GVGjr
29-03-2008, 09:08 AM
I got Scott Welsh last week. Aker this week. Dogs to win by 23 points.

As soon as it went through last week I thought you were the only one to select him.

Welsh adds a fair bit to the forward line and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't realise how smart of a footballer he is when he was playing for North and the Crows.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Johnno for me this week. I think the Dogs will get up in a big fashion, by over 30 points.

1eyedog
29-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Mitch Hahn first goal (Geez I hope he starts!):p I think we can win by 42 points today.

Rocket Science
29-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Scrays by 21 points, with Matty Boyd drawing first blood.

Cmon Dogs, make a bloody statement today.

westdog54
29-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I'll take Minson to kick the first goal and a 35 point win.

westdog54
29-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Late Change, Callan in for Nathan Eagleton.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Watching the game live here in Tassie. If the dogs can use their run and minimise their unforced errors they should win this. Cam Wight, not a good start to the game for this player.

whythelongface
29-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I know the conditions aren't great but I thought that was a pretty ordinary first qtr.

hujsh
29-03-2008, 03:44 PM
As soon as it went through last week I thought you were the only one to select him.

Welsh adds a fair bit to the forward line and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't realise how smart of a footballer he is when he was playing for North and the Crows.

I might have picked Welsh. I did on BF

I haven't seen any of the match but my guess is gia if it can still count (same as BF so I'm not cheating;))

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 04:22 PM
If we step it up a level and kick a few on the trot, I really think Melbourne will drop their heads and we can have a good win. Love Welshy in the forward line and I love Josh Hill in the team.

Bulldog Revolution
29-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hill sounds like he is just continuing on where he left off last week.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Hill sounds like he is just continuing on where he left off last week.

Hill really deserves a NAB rising star nomination this week. Looks so comfortable out there. The dogs really seem to be enjoying playing together this year. There's a look about them that was missing last year. I know it's only round 2 but the signs lokk encouraging. Really enjoying my Saturday Afternoon's viewing!!

whythelongface
29-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Hill really deserves a NAB rising star nomination this week. Looks so comfortable out there. The dogs really seem to be enjoying playing together this year. There's a look about them that was missing last year. I know it's only round 2 but the signs lokk encouraging. Really enjoying my Saturday Afternoon's viewing!!

Yep. Since qtr time the boys have played pretty well. Mid you the Dees are very ordinary but to be 70pts up at 3/4 time is a great effort - no matter whom the opposition.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Yep. Since qtr time the boys have played pretty well. Mid you the Dees are very ordinary but to be 70pts up at 3/4 time is a great effort - no matter whom the opposition.

Yep totally agree. One of the coms on tv just made a very valid point. He said that the dryer it has got, the better we have got. Wight has improved, Addison has been good, Callan has been good, Aker has gotten better as the game has gone on, Murphy is a gun, I could go on. Do you want me to go on??:D

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Great win, glad we punished them although it would've been nice to crack the 100+ barrier. Once again too many good players to name, although the majority weren't consistently good all game, seemingly a lot of players playing well in patches. Lake and Morris were pretty good down back, West, Crossy and Boyd were fantastic workers today and barely used a ball badly, Gilbee, Griffen, Cooney were excellent, Murph was great, Hahn, Hill, Welsh, Johnno, Akermanis, Addison even showed quite a bit in the second half, particularly his work in tight contests and attack on the ball/body.

Wight probably broke even by the end of the day too, which was pleasing given that he didn't start to well but maintained his focus.

Although it was against a disappointing opposition, I think we can still take a lot out of today's performance as it is the sort of game that often we'd struggle to win, and certainly wouldn't really punish a team like we did today especially after a relatively close first qtr.

Let's really hope we can back up next week against the Saints, going to be a ripper.

Mantis
29-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Excellent after qtr. time.

Intensity was excellent which helped create turnovers, then run and carry allowed us to create scoreboard pressure. Thought Gilbee was fantastic all day, hardly waste's a kick. Midfield domainated and forwards were lively, loved Murf's game.

Good contribution across the board.

Only sour note was the injury to Higgins, any update on extent of this?

Big test next week.

hujsh
29-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Great news people...we're on top of the ladder;)

Hahn was really good today. Back to some sort of form again which is excellent news for us.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 06:49 PM
For those who were at the game, probably missed the Rocket interview - it was interesting where he commented on Hill and basically said that last year he didn't get a good grasp of the professionalism required to make it, and this year has completely turned it around. Very pleasing that we've been able to develop that hunger and work ethic in him.

hujsh
29-03-2008, 06:58 PM
For those who were at the game, probably missed the Rocket interview - it was interesting where he commented on Hill and basically said that last year he didn't get a good grasp of the professionalism required to make it, and this year has completely turned it around. Very pleasing that we've been able to develop that hunger and work ethic in him.

Would have been interesting to see his face when they said Addison was one who played well. I think there may have been a little smile

GVGjr
29-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Just walked in the door and it was a solid 4 quarter effort by the boys. Plenty of positives and the only negative is the injury to Higgins.

Just some quick notes.

Really happy that Cross answered his critics from the previous week and in fairness he needed to. Great marking and 3 last quarter goals a highlight.
Gilbee was damaging on the wing and his quality kicking into the forwards was great.
Murphy was very good all day especially his marking and his poise.
Hahn also answered the critics with a solid display.
Addison had his best game and whilst he might not have troubled the stats guys that much he showed plenty.
Hill had another great game but probably ran out of condition towards the end as his kicking started to lack depth.
Boyd, Akermanis and West were all better than solid players and Giansiracusa and Griffen were in good touch.
Tim Callan performed well and was a good replacement for Eagle.

bornadog
29-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Only sour note was the injury to Higgins, any update on extent of this?.

Will have scans to determine extent. Good news is Eagles almost played today and will be ok for next week.

Mantis
29-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Will have scans to determine extent. Good news is Eagles almost played today and will be ok for next week.

Saw a replay of the incident. Didn't look good.

Ankle ligament damage for sure. Hopefully he doesn't miss too many games.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't know how true this is but my old man said Higgins has minor ligament damage and should only miss 1 oe 2 weeks. That would be a good result considering how it looked on replay from behind.

katemeehan
29-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Havnt seen the replay of Higgins inury but his face said enough for me.

bornadog
29-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Great win and it was pleaseing to see a bulldogs team committed with tackling, especially in the forward line and midfield area. Although this game is hard to judge as far as individual players are concerned, as they all performed well all be it against a week opposition. It was a real team effort.

Impressed with some of the lesser lights:

Hahn - did what we all expect him to do
Addison - this kid is all guts and still learning the game
Wight - beat his man at CHB, even thou poor opponents.
Minson - No a star but again, is doing what the coach is asking him to do.
Hargarve - Solid and consistent performance
Hill - Exciting young guy and lots of potential.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I was a bit critical of Hargrave - wasn't beaten by any means by his direct opponent but I worried every time he had possession of the ball as he seemed like he was turning it over and kicking to poor options more often than not. That said he did have a bit of it and at times moved the ball pretty well. I'd like to see him play a bit further up the field still, and use his height and athleticism to better advantage.

fish
29-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Didnt manage the 3am-5.45am radio slot this week... so a couple of questions.

Three goals for Cross is always a turn up - what sort of goals, marks and set-shots? Or coming from scrambles. Would be very nice if it is marks, as Cross is good overhead, and could be a dangerous option floating forward (if he can have confidence in his kicking).

GVGjr - you said Callan did well and was a good replacement for Eagle, what sort/style of game did he play. Purely defensive? Or did he manage to replace some aspect of Eagles run?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to reading all the bits and pieces on the game.

The Coon Dog
29-03-2008, 08:50 PM
This comment might cop a degree of criticism & I'll wear that, but I kind of came out of the ground today feeling flat. I know we put Melbourne to the sword & good teams must do that, but really Melbourne were the most appalling team I think I've ever seen!

Our pressure was fantastic, but Melbourne gave us no real true indication of just how good we are. It was like watching men against boys. Right now I'd hate to be a Melbourne supporter, there's not a lot to look forward too.

They dead set folded the minute any sort of pressure was applied!

What it will hopefully do is give our guys a significant confidence boost, not to mention a nice little percentage kick along too.

I guess you can only play as well as the opposition allow you to, so from that point of view we played well.

How good have Hudson & Welsh been & gee, they add so much to our team. Enormous contributors & leaders out there again today.

Murph was back to his best today, shimmieing one way & scooting off the other & some of his contested marking terrific.

Though it was Dylan Addison's best game for the club, just seemed like he belonged out there.

Gotta admire the work Adam Cooney does when he doesn't have the ball, chasing, tackling, harrassing etc... just what we want to see from Coons.

Lindsay Gilbee's field kicking (not that early kick out) is sublime. As a forward you would drool if you saw Gilbs heading your way with the pill.

Mitch Hahn was back to his bullocking best today, great to see him playing like that, when some of us were questioning whether the game might have passed him by.

After last night's game at the Gabba where the media had declared Nathan Brown a monty for the Rising Star this week, good to see the effort by Josh Hill today, just to let everyone know it's not a one horse race this week. I thought Brown did well on J. Brown but was aided by the conditions & poor conversion for goal.

West, Cross & Boyd seemed to have it a fair bit today. Interesting to see how the three of them go against the Saints next week. Hopefully they can produce to a similar standard.

Ernie, I took The Coon Pup over for a chat with Roddy Vargas at 3/4 time. Barracks for Calrton, but is a terrific bloke!

aker39
29-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I had a chat with Roddy at the bar. Yes, he is a Carlton supporter, and was going to Telstra Dome after our game.

His wife is good friends with Brad Millers wife, hence why he was at the game.

He said Archie is out for about 6 weeks.

I also spoke to Nathan Eagleton after the game, and he will be right for next week.

After a poor 1st quarter, I was very happy with our performance. As the TCD said Melbourne are crap, but I certainly wasn't flat after the game, mainly because we had managed to put a team away for the 1st time in a long time, and maybe because I had been in the bar all day.

Friday nights game is a chance to get some respect back from the football public. Our last few games on prime time TV have been a disgrace. Bring IT ON

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Friday nights game is a chance to get some respect back from the football public. Our last few games on prime time TV have been a disgrace. Bring IT ON

Agreed, i will most likely be going to the game with some mates that go for the saints.. and i need the doggies to win because i have copped some crap from them in recent times.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I went today and braved the terrible conditions..

Going in with the rain and the fact we were playing a team we struggle against i wasnt very optimistic...that first quarter i expected the game to go like that for the rest of the day in a low scoring affair...

But we turned it on in the 2nd n 3rd quarter..

You couldnt pick a bad player in our performance (except Lake who didnt have the better of his opponent) - Gilbee impressed me greatly today, he is def the best if not top 3 kicks in the competition, hitting so many targets. And Welshy...couple goals a week from him and he was worth the pickup for sure.

Loved the work by Crossy, Murphy, Aker and little Joshy Hill - this kid deserves that rising star nom hands down, and ill be irrate if he doesnt get it.

It is such a good feeling to beat a team we have struggled with in recent times (not always struggled) but we have never had a big win over them like this...we have some good confidence going into friday night vs Saints which will be a HUGE one and show us where we're at.

One last note is Adam Cooney - this kid is only gunna get better from here on..Im a big fan of Cooney but dissapointed that he hasnt played at his potential untill now..hes had 2 fantastic games and this year i believe he'll become a major problem for the other clubs :D Thats my rant....GO DOGGIES

Mantis
29-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah CD, they were pathetic, but our intensity was very impressive.

Agree with your points especially Cooney's game. Not flashy by any sense, but he worked hard and that's all you can ask for.

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Was at the game today, haven't watched the replay yet. Welsh's handball under pressure to Wight who then goaled stuck in my mind. Good thinking and enjoyable to watch.

firstdogonthemoon
29-03-2008, 11:23 PM
This comment might cop a degree of criticism & I'll wear that, but I kind of came out of the ground today feeling flat. I know we put Melbourne to the sword & good teams must do that, but really Melbourne were the most appalling team I think I've ever seen!

You are a big sook.

Take your four colour pen and go home ( I note you didnt call me before the game and offer me a lift either! Bastard!)

I agree that this is not a good indicator (Sts and Bombers will determine our season rather than this game) but really,I will take a 95 point win over any AFL team any day, even one as bad as the dees.

G-Mo77
30-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Just an all out excellent performance today!

The thing that stands out to me is how more than one or two players are willing to put their head ove rthe ball and go and get it. Adam Cooney is one who I have been critical of over his first few seasons for standing back but today he seemed to throw his body in every time he went for the ball. Our players look a lot stronger and our tackling was superb.

I'm going to throw out a few names here who I felt came under a fair bit of critcism last week in some cases I thought was pretty unfair.

If Cross does not get 3 votes for the brownlow I'll eat my hat and scarf. The guy was everywhere today and worked his ass off right until the final siren. Just kept getting the pill and marked everything that came near him. The 3 goals at the end were icing on the cake and a nice reward for doing so well. Well done Crossy!

Mitch Hahn! I couldn't believe the amount of people throwing him under a bus after last week, he has missed a lot of football over the past couple of seasons but today is exactly why he is so valuable to this side.

Dylan Addison. I love this kid. Not the best skills on the team but I just love the way he is prepared to put his body on the line. He was very good today.

The only negatives I have is the parking at the MCG is appaling! I hate travelling there give me the comforts of the Dome any day! Also the traffic on the way home. It took me well over around an hour and a half to get past Calder Park were nearly every Nuff Nuff in the city seemed to be. :o

I'm not overly excited though, it's a huge test next week if we can roll St. Kilda I'll start to feel a little more confident. It's going to be tough!

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 10:37 PM
im so happy hahn, cross, murph and Griff appear to be back from injures and playing some of there best footy. Was a little worried some of them wouldnt come back as good as they had been.