PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Elimination Final 2022 vs Fremantle

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2022, 06:40 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this evening's Elimination Final against Fremantle. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2022, 12:30 AM
There was a few tonight. But probably the Richards miskick and turnover. Thought we were cooked after that. The Vanda 50m pen was also a big moment in a tight game.

Grantysghost
04-09-2022, 12:59 AM
When Cordy told one of the Freo players to look at the score board early in the second.

That or when I posted the Freo guitar guy joke.

Scorlibo
04-09-2022, 12:59 AM
When Dunkley wrestled with Shultz, and four of our guys came over while the ball was thrown back into play. Fremantle waltz out of the stoppage, Amiss marks and goals, scores level in the last quarter. Showed our heads weren't in it.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2022, 01:01 AM
When Dunkley wrestled with Shultz, and four of our guys came over while the ball was thrown back into play. Fremantle waltz out of the stoppage, Amiss marks and goals, scores level in the last quarter. Showed our heads weren't in it.

Agree. Massive moment. Dunks wanted to intimidate him and he took his focus off the game. That was a coach killer. Bevo was furious.

jeemak
04-09-2022, 01:12 AM
Bont's miss in the second.

I'll sound like a broken record but past deeds don't make up for moments missed. A goal then would have been an absolute dagger and our best player and supreme leader missed.

jeemak
04-09-2022, 01:13 AM
Agree. Massive moment. Dunks wanted to intimidate him and he took his focus off the game. That was a coach killer. Bevo was furious.

It wasn't Dunks. He can handle himself and should have been left to do so. It was the five on two and the lack of game awareness that did it.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2022, 01:13 AM
Dunkley kicked a goal not too long after that. It was a bad miss. But in the context of the game it wasn’t the difference. He also kicked two sensational goals under pressure before that.

jeemak
04-09-2022, 01:25 AM
Dunkley kicked a goal not too long after that. It was a bad miss. But in the context of the game it wasn’t the difference. He also kicked two sensational goals under pressure before that.

I won't die on the hill for it, but it would have made a massive statement.

A goal is kicked, momentum is there and the future changes.

MrMahatma
04-09-2022, 01:38 AM
Bont’s miss… I guess.

Maybe Darcy hitting the post?

Maybe Vandermeer every time he handed it to Freo players?

SonofScray
04-09-2022, 01:54 AM
Dunkley deciding to be a tough guy.

jeemak
04-09-2022, 01:58 AM

What would you have done with some arsehole in your grill?

SonofScray
04-09-2022, 02:00 AM
What would you have done with some arsehole in your grill?

Left cross on the chin, get suspended for 8 weeks, play under another name for a few, get caught and never play again.

MrMahatma
04-09-2022, 02:03 AM
Dunks was our best.

We’ll trade him.

We’ll cry cause we don’t win a flag in the next 10 years.

We lost. We’re losers. (So are the Pies BTW)

Bumper Bulldogs
04-09-2022, 08:17 AM
Selection of Vandermare. He really doesn’t deserve a spot on the list.

chef
04-09-2022, 10:25 AM
Maybe Libba getting injured. Freo wouldn't have found it so easy if he was playing.

The bulldog tragician
04-09-2022, 10:25 AM
When Libba did his hammy.

DOG GOD
04-09-2022, 10:35 AM
13 mins to go in the 3rd and English was out of legs. Couldn’t chase thru the centre square. I knew then our team was shot.

1eyedog
04-09-2022, 10:44 AM
Bont's miss in the second.

I'll sound like a broken record but past deeds don't make up for moments missed. A goal then would have been an absolute dagger and our best player and supreme leader missed.

This was the one. Freo kicked 3 or 4 of these and all I could think was why Bont?

Mantis
04-09-2022, 10:54 AM
This was the one. Freo kicked 3 or 4 of these and all I could think was why Bont?

Freo also missed plenty of them too.

I think it’s ridiculous to think the Bont miss was the moment… it was at the start of the 2nd qtr FFS and we kicked the next goal.

There were about 5 of 6 more important moments than this one.

1/ Vandermeer dropped a sitter on the boundary line. From the next bit of play Walters kicks a goal.
2/ Darcy rushing when he took a mark on the goal line and hit the post.
3/ The 5 on 2 fight.
4/ Keath getting caught HTB when we had the flow on. Lobb kicked a goal from the following bit of play.
5/ Marra spoiling McLean when going back with the flight. They clear the ball and score a goal.
6/ Richards getting run down by Frederick and gifting Walters a goal.

Should I go on?

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 10:59 AM

I think it’s ridiculous to think the Bont miss was the moment… it was at the start of the 2nd qtr FFS and we kicked the next goal.

Should I go on?

This was in the first quarter. If Bont's miss isn't the moment for the reason you stated then neither is this.

Mantis
04-09-2022, 11:10 AM
This was in the first quarter. If Bont's miss isn't the moment for the reason you stated then neither is this.

So why pick out the Bont one then?

I would think that the conversion rate would be much higher for the Darcy kick compared to the Bont kick as well.

Mantis
04-09-2022, 11:23 AM
As well as Libba missing with a hammy, Duryea missing due to personal reasons was a huge loss as we missed a calm influence in defence.

All players should be having protected sex in the off-season so we don’t run into these issues. ;)

Bullies
04-09-2022, 11:41 AM
In the 2nd when we had all the momentum and Roarke took on a couple of Freo players on the half forward line instead of giving it off. The turnover resulted in their first goal.

merantau
04-09-2022, 11:56 AM

1/ Vandermeer dropped a sitter on the boundary line. From the next bit of play Walters kicks a goal.
3/ The 5 on 2 fight.
4/ Keath getting caught HTB when we had the flow on. Lobb kicked a goal from the following bit of play.
5/ Marra spoiling McLean when going back with the flight. They clear the ball and score a goal.

Should I go on?

Exactly. Neither victory nor defeat are solo affairs. It's a team game and the outcome, whatever it is, is borne by the team.

Mitcha
04-09-2022, 12:01 PM
When smart arse Zaine Cordy pointed a Freo player towards the score board during our early domination which was about two minutes before he was comprehensively outpointed in a 1 v 1 aerial contest with a skinny as a rake second gamer Amiss who somehow managed to hit the post from the goalsquare. All down hill from there.

bornadog
04-09-2022, 12:07 PM

3/ The 5 on 2 fight.

Should I go on?

Agree

I would add free kick against Ed for a slight holding Walters arm when Walters was the one facing Ed and holding him and pushing him off and then turned to try and mark the ball, Ed tried to push him off - result goal. Then ball goes back to centre, they clear it have a shot for goal, and Ed is being held in the goal square unable to defend the low ball coming in. Umpires clearly biased here. Those two quick goals changed the momentum as they got a sniff.

1eyedog
04-09-2022, 12:09 PM

3/ The 5 on 2 fight.

Should I go on?

Bont misses JJ lucks one through and everything after that turns to shit you're right. I watched Freo flush them from 50 again and again sure they miss some easy ones but I kept thinking about that Bont goal everytime they flushed them from the 50. Could have should have made a Captain's statement. It's my moment, I need to pick one, no need to go on.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 12:17 PM
So why pick out the Bont one then?

I would think that the conversion rate would be much higher for the Darcy kick compared to the Bont kick as well.

I don't think I did, did I? I can't remember I'm getting old.

But there's a symbolism behind the captain banging that one home that sends a message.

Largely I agree - moments early in the game generally have enough time to be covered that they're not really the moments.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2022, 01:33 PM
There was a few tonight. But probably the Richards miskick and turnover. Thought we were cooked after that. The Vanda 50m pen was also a big moment in a tight game.

These for me too. Two goals given away which were the difference in the result. Both could have very easily been avoided. Vanda was just plain dumb no awareness of the rules of the game. Ed was jogging, bouncing the ball across goals like he was back playing in the under 13's again. He didn't seem to have a plan or any idea of what he was going to do. Noticed a woman in the grandstand too turn to someone 3 seats up and grab her own throat in a choking gesture. Just like Alistair Lynch did all those years ago. Hate to admit it she was right.

Grantysghost
04-09-2022, 01:35 PM
Actually it has to be when Naughton's headband came partially off and he pulled it down like a muzzle in the heat of battle.
The head band can go now please.

Scorlibo
04-09-2022, 01:41 PM
In the 2nd when we had all the momentum and Roarke took on a couple of Freo players on the half forward line instead of giving it off. The turnover resulted in their first goal.

I didn't mind that, we were stuffing around in a mad scramble in our forward half and he took the initiative to try and create some space. It didn't work out but it's what was required for us to score I reckon.

Agree

I would add free kick against Ed for a slight holding Walters arm when Walters was the one facing Ed and holding him and pushing him off and then turned to try and mark the ball, Ed tried to push him off - result goal. Then ball goes back to centre, they clear it have a shot for goal, and Ed is being held in the goal square unable to defend the low ball coming in. Umpires clearly biased here. Those two quick goals changed the momentum as they got a sniff.

Umpires had purple glasses on all night. That ^ run of umpiring was despicable.

I'd add the HTB frees against Caleb and Dunks (when O'Driscoll kicked the sealer) weren't there because neither had prior.

mjp
04-09-2022, 01:52 PM
I'm going to go with a different sort of 'MOMENT'.

When young Amiss - who quite literally NEVER misses, he is a complete dead-eye of the T. Dickson variety - hit the post on quarter time and we got into him, that really seemed to give the Freo players some resolve. They had a different approach to the contest after that and it was as if they went from playing a 'game' to being desperate to win.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 01:54 PM
I'm going to go with a different sort of 'MOMENT'.

When young Amiss - who quite literally NEVER misses, he is a complete dead-eye of the T. Dickson variety - hit the post on quarter time and we got into him, that really seemed to give the Freo players some resolve. They had a different approach to the contest after that and it was as if they went from playing a 'game' to being desperate to win.

He looks like he'll be a good player.

bornadog
04-09-2022, 04:20 PM
I didn't mind that, we were stuffing around in a mad scramble in our forward half and he took the initiative to try and create some space. It didn't work out but it's what was required for us to score I reckon.

Umpires had purple glasses on all night. That ^ run of umpiring was despicable.

I'd add the HTB frees against Caleb and Dunks (when O'Driscoll kicked the sealer) weren't there because neither had prior.

Totally agree

Raels_d
04-09-2022, 06:42 PM
The quarter time siren! Two different teams came out to play from the 2nd quarter on.

boydogs
06-09-2022, 01:30 AM
Giving up their first goal - the monkey was well and truly on their back at that point, and we let them off the hook. The crowd instantly got involved, they all got a spring in their step and kept the momentum for the rest of the game

FrediKanoute
06-09-2022, 02:47 AM
The selection of VdM on Thursday night...... (joke)

I think the tide was turning in the 2nd quarter and it really was not a moment but a 10 minute patch where we just didn't recognise the danger - 2 goals in quick succession following be another 2 and the margin went from 42 points to 14 at half time. From then on we were playing catch up.

I'd also add kicking 5-5 in a final in the 1st quarter. If the scoreline is 8-2, its game over.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2022, 04:04 PM
Giving up their first goal - the monkey was well and truly on their back at that point, and we let them off the hook. The crowd instantly got involved, they all got a spring in their step and kept the momentum for the rest of the game

It was a dicey free too. Imagine if Naughty got frees similar.

bornadog
06-09-2022, 04:13 PM
I saw on twitter the 50m penalty dished out against VDM was incorrect as he was well outside the 10m zone.

I think it was that one that put them in front.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2022, 04:18 PM
I saw on twitter the 50m penalty dished out against VDM was incorrect as he was well outside the 10m zone.

I think it was that one that put them in front.

I thought English was told to stand by the ump before VDM got there. Stand to be corrected.

Scraggers
06-09-2022, 04:48 PM
Agree

This was the one for me as well. This was Freo's first goal for the match and the first of a run of four. 5 minutes of disgraceful umpiring (and if you know me, I never abuse umpires ... I even tell my son off for booing or geering) cost us the momentum and ultimately the match. This run on brought back the nightmare that was 2021 GF.

On top of this, the Dockers supporters throwing full beers on us, teasing and mimicking a five (ish) year old for crying when her team (Bulldogs) started to lose the plot, and copping it from my family on the bus on the way home.

bornadog
06-09-2022, 05:39 PM
On top of this, the Dockers supporters throwing full beers on us, teasing and mimicking a five (ish) year old for crying when her team (Bulldogs) started to lose the plot, and copping it from my family on the bus on the way home.

Gee Scraggers that is so bad. Feel so bad for the kids, it can put them off going.

Grantysghost
06-09-2022, 06:33 PM
This was the one for me as well. This was Freo's first goal for the match and the first of a run of four. 5 minutes of disgraceful umpiring (and if you know me, I never abuse umpires ... I even tell my son off for booing or geering) cost us the momentum and ultimately the match. This run on brought back the nightmare that was 2021 GF.

Classy. That purple looks so calming and non aggressive too.

My mum was harassed on the train home from Windy Hill one day in the 80s.
Drunk dons fans said they were going to throw me and my brother off the train as we were in dogs gear.
I just remember walking for miles to my dads garage in Williamstown as we had to get off the train with mum crying most of the way.
Fair to say they're lucky my Dad couldn't find them.
Those colours have triggered me ever since.

Scraggers
06-09-2022, 06:34 PM
Gee Scraggers that is so bad. Feel so bad for the kids, it can put them off going.

Mostly, Dockers supporters are fine; I've not had issue with them before. But for some reason the bay we were sitting next to were feral. After the four goal second quarter they started getting antsy ... half way through the third, they were full on. Thankfully I was sitting up the back of my bay with my son and therefor missed the ferocity of their zeal. But watching Bulldogs supporters getting covered in (thrown drinks - beer mainly), mocking kids for getting upset, giving us the bird (or fist) every time they scored ... it got a bit much. My wife and daughter were three bays over and witnessed nothing (thank god) so it must have just been this section.

F'scary
07-09-2022, 02:05 PM

Like Daniel on Max Gawn?

Happy Days
07-09-2022, 02:19 PM
Like Daniel on Max Gawn?

That was actually sick as and a big part of the reason why I’m mad we’re lost is that I can’t get a giant framed version of it to hang in my living room.