PDA

View Full Version : Club to Conduct Review

bornadog
05-09-2022, 12:27 AM
According to Channel Seven:

The Bulldogs will conduct a thorough review as pressure mounts on coach Luke Beveridge. He says his players lost concentration during a costly elimination final fade-out against the Dockers.

After two years of shortened pre-seasons due to COVID, the elimination exit will allow the Dogs to undertake a more thorough review of their football program compared to recent campaigns.

jeemak
05-09-2022, 12:34 AM
The media are smelling blood, get ready for a massive massive offer from EFC for Bevo to coach there. I'm not worried about it actually coming to fruition, mind, just think that's the path things will take.

It's good we're undertaking a review, hopefully it produces something we can act upon.

FrediKanoute
05-09-2022, 01:01 AM
The media are smelling blood, get ready for a massive massive offer from EFC for Bevo to coach there. I'm not worried about it actually coming to fruition, mind, just think that's the path things will take.

It's good we're undertaking a review, hopefully it produces something we can act upon.

Agree, but so long as its a proper review and not a witch hunt or a gloss over to keep the supporters happy.

We have some bits and pieces that are not working, but 75% is working so the review really should be how do we bridge that last gap and focus not on Bevo specificallly, but on:

1) List deficiencies
2) Coaching deficiencies
3) Selection policies
4) Gameplan and Tactics - Plan's B, C etc

Not sure there is a lot wrong and mostly they ok. It should be a positive review rather than a bloodletting. Sadly review's tend to end up as bloodletting because the media want someone to blame.

jeemak
05-09-2022, 03:02 AM
Agree, but so long as its a proper review and not a witch hunt or a gloss over to keep the supporters happy.

We have some bits and pieces that are not working, but 75% is working so the review really should be how do we bridge that last gap and focus not on Bevo specificallly, but on:

1) List deficiencies
2) Coaching deficiencies
3) Selection policies

Not sure there is a lot wrong and mostly they ok. It should be a positive review rather than a bloodletting. Sadly review's tend to end up as bloodletting because the media want someone to blame.

It'll be interesting to see how we execute it versus how the noise/ reporting/ supporter wishes expect us to.

If I strip it back what I'm seeing is a club that feels it hasn't been able to really enact thorough process the past two years and now has the clear air to do so. Tick. Two years in hubs going into lockdown versus no hubs and no return to lock down should provide us with sufficient access to everyone we need to have access to when we need it.

We all concentrate on the grand final loss as being a mentally draining event on our players, however, the physical and emotional toll of hubbing to the death after an already exhausting season isn't ever talked about and it should be.

Send me interstate for work for five days and I want to get my stab on.....do it for five weeks without any freedom plus the pressure of winning finals and participating in a grand final and I'm probably searching the dark web for inspiration on how to do all sorts of things.......(I've thought of the things, so you don't have to......and no, I'm not posting those thoughts).

So what would I want to see?

- How do we optimise our soft cap spend
- What support do the players need to enact on-field leadership/ empowerment in alignment with instruction/ the plan
- List assessment/ actions
- General best practice house keeping and process

There's no time for in depth game strategy and tactical reviews, and in honesty, too much in one hit will just get noses out of joint.

G-Mo77
05-09-2022, 05:06 AM
Good to hear we're not sitting on our hands and have higher expectations than what we have delivered this season. It's been disappointing, very disappointing.

azabob
05-09-2022, 09:09 AM
Hold the phone.

I'd like to hope Cleary's source is better than Luke Beveridge press conference.

MrMahatma
05-09-2022, 09:14 AM
I think this is a proactive review and should pretty much be BAU for something like this to happen with a degree of regulatory.

I wouldn’t in any way draw a line between this and Bevo being “under pressure”. And this isn’t like Essendon’s reviews which are desperate and layered with agendas. Ours would be driven by one thing: improve the chances of us winning a flag next year.

Mantis
05-09-2022, 11:12 AM

1) List deficiencies
2) Coaching deficiencies
3) Selection policies

There also needs to be a review of our physical conditioning/ player rehab dept.

We have way too many soft tissue injuries... but they all pretty much all happen at training... why is that? I can think of 4 which happened at key times:

* O'Brien - did a calf in the pre-season which pretty much rail-roaded his season. Started in the VFL and never got going. Given he had an extra 6-8 weeks holiday as Hawthorn's season finished much earlier than ours was his training load impacted? We brought him in for a specific purpose and got nothing out of him at all.

* Keath - hamstring injury at training, never got going afterwards. How did this happen?

* English - did a hamstring at training when coming back from concussion. How did this happen?

* Libba - did a hamstring at training prior to the EF. How the *!*!*!*! did this happen? How good would have he been in greasy conditions on Saturday night.

bornadog
05-09-2022, 11:26 AM
There also needs to be a review of our physical conditioning/ player rehab dept.

We have way too many soft tissue injuries... but they all pretty much all happen at training... why is that? I can think of 4 which happened at key times:

* O'Brien - did a calf in the pre-season which pretty much rail-roaded his season. Started in the VFL and never got going. Given he had an extra 6-8 weeks holiday as Hawthorn's season finished much earlier than ours was his training load impacted? We brought him in for a specific purpose and got nothing out of him at all.

* Keath - hamstring injury at training, never got going afterwards. How did this happen?

* English - did a hamstring at training when coming back from concussion. How did this happen?

* Libba - did a hamstring at training prior to the EF. How the *!*!*!*! did this happen? How good would have he been in greasy conditions on Saturday night.

Is this any different to other clubs? Genuine question, because I don't know and it would be good to compare and give a tick to conditioning.

Needs a review, that is for sure.

azabob
05-09-2022, 11:47 AM

JJ did a calf in the warm up of round 1!!!

I mentioned in another thread it is like we didn't anticipate and train for high intensity speed and pace during the games.

Scorlibo
05-09-2022, 11:48 AM

Fair point... on conditioning generally, in recent games against Fremantle and GWS we applied manic pressure and as a result seemed to get too tired to execute the other way. Our inability to prevent transition and spread across the whole season is also signalling that we could be a lot fitter.

One positive is that we don't have many on the sidelines right now, the majority of the list should get a full pre-season.

Boots
05-09-2022, 12:33 PM
The injuries have been a problem for a long time - at least since 2016.

I remember watching a few Saints and North games in 2016, 2017 and 2018 where they did the same 'manic pressure' thing we do and thinking there was a correlation between manic pressure and inconsistency between games because it's so, so costly. Those games it was always who ran out of puff first lost, they were 50/50. You can also end up over-committing energy for limited reward in one game and not regain it before the next game.

There is only one team in the league who's made 'manic pressure' work long-term without constant major injuries and that's Sydney (and that doesn't meant hey get no injuries, just that they are fewer and further between and have less major impact). We have the youth, like the Swans, so it should be possible, but it relies on them taking the 'manic' burden off our older players.

but by this point I'm pretty over manic pressure TBH. I'd rather a smart system that produced pressure when executed well (IE Melbourne or Richmond) rather than a system that relies on player exertion (Swans, Dogs, Saints, North).

But regardless of that, fitness seems to be a really key element and we really need to address it.

Happy Days
05-09-2022, 12:34 PM

This would almost be worth it for the mental gymnastics we’d see out of some media members.

Vred
05-09-2022, 12:52 PM
Needs to be a review conducted from an external source, not internal, I have zero faith in internal reviews anymore, specially if conducted by one of ''the boys''.

G-Mo77
05-09-2022, 12:55 PM

I mentioned this in another thread when the news of Libba broke. As mentioned there was also JJ in the warm ups who got injured. Lot of it is luck, it's just that when you line them up like this it seems it could be an issue with what we're doing or not doing. Our injuries have been crippling for a long time, it wouldn't hurt to clean this area out and bring in some new ideas.

GVGjr
05-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Needs to be a review conducted from an external source, not internal, I have zero faith in internal reviews anymore, specially if conducted by one of ''the boys''.

While it wouldn't hurt to have an 'external' member of any review to ensure integrity it just seems to be a bit harsh to draw a conclusion that there is a boys club in place at the club.
Why do you have zero faith in internal reviews?

Scraggers
05-09-2022, 01:09 PM
For me it's not Bevo per se, but all the coaches. Others on here will have more of an understanding than I do, but our midfield coach needs to be replaced (I know this is his first year, but our midfield was extremely average this year compared to years past - and I'm not talking statistics, I'm talking getting beaten strategically.) On paper, we should be dominating against teams (including Fremantle on Saturday without Libba) but we are not. It's not through lack of effort, it looks from a layman's point of view, like game plan. I would also like to see a senior assistant for Bevo ... someone with end-of-line experience (Leon Cameron et al) that can help guide or give a different perspective.

G-Mo77
05-09-2022, 01:10 PM
While it wouldn't hurt to have an 'external' member of any review to ensure integrity it just seems to be a bit harsh to draw a conclusion that there is a boys club in place at the club.

From experience with the workplace, reviews/audits etc are much easier internally. There are too many internal relationships which clouds judgement or can create a bias.

Happy Days
05-09-2022, 02:02 PM
For me it's not Bevo per se, but all the coaches. Others on here will have more of an understanding than I do, but our midfield coach needs to be replaced (I know this is his first year, but our midfield was extremely average this year compared to years past - and I'm not talking statistics, I'm talking getting beaten strategically.) On paper, we should be dominating against teams (including Fremantle on Saturday without Libba) but we are not. It's not through lack of effort, it looks from a layman's point of view, like game plan. I would also like to see a senior assistant for Bevo ... someone with end-of-line experience (Leon Cameron et al) that can help guide or give a different perspective.

We got absolutely rinsed by King and Hansen leaving after coaching panels were supposedly set for the year (Hansen leaving in December was particularly rough) and sort of had to scramble to get some guys in, and no one is really talking about it.

Like Spangher felt like a jobs for mates style appointment but really what else was out there? Hoping that the recruitment of some quality assistants will be top of the priority list behind the scenes.

azabob
05-09-2022, 05:29 PM
It'll be interesting to see how we execute it versus how the noise/ reporting/ supporter wishes expect us to.

If I strip it back what I'm seeing is a club that feels it hasn't been able to really enact thorough process the past two years and now has the clear air to do so. Tick. Two years in hubs going into lockdown versus no hubs and no return to lock down should provide us with sufficient access to everyone we need to have access to when we need it.

We all concentrate on the grand final loss as being a mentally draining event on our players, however, the physical and emotional toll of hubbing to the death after an already exhausting season isn't ever talked about and it should be.

Send me interstate for work for five days and I want to get my stab on.....do it for five weeks without any freedom plus the pressure of winning finals and participating in a grand final and I'm probably searching the dark web for inspiration on how to do all sorts of things.......(I've thought of the things, so you don't have to......and no, I'm not posting those thoughts).

So what would I want to see?

- How do we optimise our soft cap spend
- What support do the players need to enact on-field leadership/ empowerment in alignment with instruction/ the plan
- List assessment/ actions
- General best practice house keeping and process

There's no time for in depth game strategy and tactical reviews, and in honesty, too much in one hit will just get noses out of joint.

Jee surely we need to also review the strategy and tactics? The players either don't believe in the game plan or don't understand it.

The same issues week after week were on show for all to see.

For mine it would be borderline irrational not to strip the game plan / strategy / tactics back and then build it back up.

If we don't chances 2023 will be worse.

bornadog
05-09-2022, 05:52 PM
For mine it would border on negligence not to strip the game plan / strategy / tactics back and then build it back up.

But that is for the coaches to do, not some other party.

The review needs to work out if the coaches are the right people to take us forward

Grantysghost
05-09-2022, 05:54 PM
We got absolutely rinsed by King and Hansen leaving after coaching panels were supposedly set for the year (Hansen leaving in December was particularly rough) and sort of had to scramble to get some guys in, and no one is really talking about it.

Like Spangher felt like a jobs for mates style appointment but really what else was out there? Hoping that the recruitment of some quality assistants will be top of the priority list behind the scenes.

Ok Hansen left - bad.

We let him leave? Why? How does this help us?

Sometimes I really do feel our organisation is individual before whole.

Hansen is a pro surely he realises that's not cool and would honour his deal with us.

bornadog
05-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Ok Hansen left - bad.

We let him leave? Why? How does this help us?

Sometimes I really do feel our organisation is individual before whole.

Hansen is a pro surely he realises that's not cool and would honour his deal with us.

Hansen and King had been with us for a long time. What we could have done is bring in another senior assistant to cover our losses, but instead we got inexperienced guys.

Grantysghost
05-09-2022, 06:01 PM
Hansen and King had been with us for a long time. What we could have done is bring in another senior assistant to cover our losses, but instead we got inexperienced guys.

You're right.

I guess the question as HD has intimated is: did we have time?

Soft cap issues, played all the way to the end in a distorted season.

Sometimes you have to say no.

bornadog
05-09-2022, 06:03 PM
You're right.

I guess the question as HD has intimated is: did we have time?

Soft cap issues, played all the way to the end in a distorted season.

Sometimes you have to say no.

Yeah, it was like a last minute thing to lose Hansen. King excepted a role after the GF.

azabob
05-09-2022, 06:15 PM
But that is for the coaches to do, not some other party.

The review needs to work out if the coaches are the right people to take us forward

The club actually has not confirmed if a review will be happening. If it will be an internal review or an external review.

Either way Beveridge and co need to review our game plan/strategy/tactics.

Don't you agree?

kruder
05-09-2022, 06:32 PM

Stkilda will be after him if we get the wobbles again next year and they continue on their road to no where. Bevo will make an impact where he goes there is no doubt about it.

josie
05-09-2022, 06:45 PM

Having an external review means it’s independent and I’d expect the auditors/reviewers would be chosen only if have a good knowledge for what is best practice or recommend or call upon relevant technical experts eg fitness/conditioning. I think Bevo etc. should be ok with this, and I’m hoping it is external. If I recall correctly Bevo was a tax or compliance auditor of some sort (or similar) and a senior one at that. I reckon he’d be aok with it.

azabob
05-09-2022, 07:14 PM
I still vote for Jimmy Bartel to conduct the review and then be charged with implementing the recommendations.

Anyone else have other suggestions who?

GVGjr
05-09-2022, 07:23 PM
I still vote for Jimmy Bartel to conduct the review and then be charged with implementing the recommendations.

Anyone else have other suggestions who?

It would never happen but Jason Dunstall has the credibility from my perspective. What is Graham Lowe doing now?

bornadog
05-09-2022, 07:29 PM
Having an external review means it’s independent and I’d expect the auditors/reviewers would be chosen only if have a good knowledge for what is best practice or recommend or call upon relevant technical experts eg fitness/conditioning. I think Bevo etc. should be ok with this, and I’m hoping it is external. If I recall correctly Bevo was a tax or compliance auditor of some sort (or similar) and a senior one at that. I reckon he’d be aok with it.

External - I don’t think it has been confirmed

Dry Rot
05-09-2022, 07:36 PM
Like Spangher felt like a jobs for mates style appointment but really what else was out there?

I was available but I missed the call.

SlimPickens
05-09-2022, 07:54 PM
Our high performance team must be part of this review. Management and duration of soft tissue injuries has long been a bugbear of my
mine.

azabob
05-09-2022, 09:03 PM
It would never happen but Jason Dunstall has the credibility from my perspective. What is Graham Lowe doing now?

I initially thought of Lowe but he is known to the club and was Beveridge right hand man. Upon thinking further he certainly would have the trust of Beveridge to undertake a review. It seems he is still a consultant of sorts.

Dunstall would also be a good option.

josie
05-09-2022, 09:48 PM
External - I don’t think it has been confirmed

Yep, agree. My apologies for confusion - my post was in response to why should the review be external. I think it should be.

jeemak
05-09-2022, 10:17 PM
Jee surely we need to also review the strategy and tactics? The players either don't believe in the game plan or don't understand it.

The same issues week after week were on show for all to see.

For mine it would be borderline irrational not to strip the game plan / strategy / tactics back and then build it back up.

If we don't chances 2023 will be worse.

Who do you get to review strategy and game plan, or match day tactics? Is this person going to be a credible person versus our current coaching group? If the strategy, game plan and match day tactics are found to be in need of major overhaul do you then get a second opinion? What if the second opinion doesn't agree with either our coaching team or the reviewer, do we then audit those findings?

All this while you're putting the noses of the coaching team out of joint and overstepping the remit of the committee/ club management anyway?

If you were to include these areas it would either need to be extremely light of touch or all in because you'd need to be committed and prepared to take on the consequences of the coaching group telling you to get *!*!*!*!ed if they didn't agree with the outcome. And then you're out of luck because you need new coaches.

I would understand ensuring there was adequate governance and integrity in the selection process being in the review, but not much more than that as you start to get into really dangerous territory.

1eyedog
05-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Who do you get to review strategy and game plan, or match day tactics? Is this person going to be a credible person versus our current coaching group? If the strategy, game plan and match day tactics are found to be in need of major overhaul do you then get a second opinion? What if the second opinion doesn't agree with either our coaching team or the reviewer, do we then audit those findings?

All this while you're putting the noses of the coaching team out of joint and overstepping the remit of the committee/ club management anyway?

If you were to include these areas it would either need to be extremely light of touch or all in because you'd need to be committed and prepared to take on the consequences of the coaching group telling you to get *!*!*!*!ed if they didn't agree with the outcome. And then you're out of luck because you need new coaches.

I would understand ensuring there was adequate governance and integrity in the selection process being in the review, but not much more than that as you start to get into really dangerous territory.

100% this review is not about pulling Bevo's pants down to bare all.

We need to take a holistic review of Bevo and not be seen to be scrutinising or questioning his ability to coach. The line of inquiry should be what does Bevo do well and where does Bevo need support?

We don't question tactics if we feel Bevo needs support tactically we look at bringing in a specialist assistant
or moving one out and bringing one in for 2023.

This review is an opportunity to assess and identify areas of risk moving forward it's not a review to determine whether Bevo is the right person for the job. We've thrown our lot in with him and he's invested. He looks tired though and it remains to be seen what he can conjure up in 2023.

Grantysghost
05-09-2022, 10:46 PM
100% this review is not about pulling Bevo's pants down to bare all.

Not game plan, would be about chain of command issues if any, communication, work load on Bevo, relationships across the org including coaches to players, support staff, fitness.
You don't tell Bevo how to direct the movie you just make sure we have the right producers, actors, crew and culture to make the film.
Year of the Dog 2 - No snow button.

FrediKanoute
05-09-2022, 10:57 PM

A review doesn't have to be necessarily an in depth critique. If we go down that route we may as well thank the current coaching group for their contribution and part ways. It could be as simple as questioning the coaching team what areas of the game plan are working and looking to them to assess where/how it can be improved and assessing the quality of the response rath than the response itself.

jeemak
05-09-2022, 11:13 PM
A review doesn't have to be necessarily an in depth critique. If we go down that route we may as well thank the current coaching group for their contribution and part ways. It could be as simple as questioning the coaching team what areas of the game plan are working and looking to them to assess where/how it can be improved and assessing the quality of the response rath than the response itself.

I'm fine with this and would expect it is absolutely something that would be done throughout the year anyway with the coach/ football department regularly presenting to the board throughout the year.

GVGjr
05-09-2022, 11:19 PM
This shouldn't be seen as a head hunting exercise and it should be conducted more with a view what can we be doing better more than what did we do that was wrong.

As a starting point lets have a look at:

Coaching and player management
How best do we allocate the additional 500K in soft cap spend?
Are we scouting opposition teams, is that giving us an advantage on game days?
Game plans
Selection processes

Sport Science
How did or medical and strength and conditioning teams perform?
What could we be doing better?

Footscray
What role does our VFL team play in developing and preparing players to become senior footballers?

I don't think there need to be any changes to personnel but just determining if we are at the cutting edge of a footy industry that moves quickly and what do we need to do as a club to get there.

Bevo might be stubborn on a few things but lets not underestimate that he wants us to win. He will listen to those who are well researched.

azabob
06-09-2022, 08:31 AM

I didn't suggest an external party review the game plan / strategy.

You mentioned in your first post that there wouldn't be time to review in game strategy and tactical reviews which I disagree with.

Luke Beveridge and the wider football department would undertake the strategy and game plan.

I'm not stupid enough to think we bring in a third party to pick apart Luke Beveridge's game plan as that approach would certainly end badly.

MrMahatma
06-09-2022, 08:33 AM
It’ll be a review of process and people. Can’t be a review of game plan etc.

azabob
06-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Hold the phone.

I'd like to hope Cleary's source is better than Luke Beveridge press conference.

Other than a grab from channel 7 has anyone heard or read elsewhere a review is actually happening or is it pure speculation?

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2022, 11:22 AM
I'm not stupid enough to think we bring in a third party to pick apart Luke Beveridge's game plan as that approach would certainly end badly.

We have most of the players and personnel at the club we need - but its absolutely worth having a process of review when you fall short of what you want to achieve - to think about all of the issues GVGjr raises

Agreed - part of the reason for doing a review is to help the key personnel within the footy club learn and evolve. To get them all on the same page and feel buy in to whatever changes are being implemented.

If they feel they are being reviewed as part of a witch hunt, that will be far less constructive. There may be a need for some robust feedback, but thats not uncommon within footy clubs, and Im sure they can deal with it.

azabob
06-09-2022, 11:38 AM
Change incoming for Western Bulldogs after 'deer in the headlights' finals meltdown

The Western Bulldogs' stunning exit in the first week of the finals could be followed by a reshuffling in the coaches' box after a year filled with inconsistencies.

After finishing second to Melbourne last year, the Bulldogs were never able to put together a string of consistent football this season, only sneaking into the finals on the final day of the home and away season after a collapse from Carlton.

Luke Beveridge's side coughed up a 41-point lead to Fremantle in Saturday's elimination final, and according to The Age's Caroline Wilson, the finals loss is more evidence the 2016 premiership-winner needs help.

The Bulldogs' season began with a bang when Beveridge infamously clashed with then-Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris, and Wilson said the 52-year-old continued to be too preoccupied with leaks

"They absolutely need to bring in fresh coaches," she told Nine's Footy Classified.

"He (Beveridge) needs some new assistants and he needs some stronger people around him.

"There's been a view, for me, that he has too big a say. He tries to run too much at that footy club, he worries too much about what's getting out in the media. I think he needs to stop worrying about all that stuff.

"I hope the CEO is standing up to him, but I think they sort of creep around him sometimes."

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd was highly critical of the Bulldogs' performance, saying the loss was more damaging than the one in last year's grand final.

"They've been way off the pace," he told Footy Classified.

"Against top-eight sides, (they're) three wins and eight losses."

"I think this is a worse loss than last year. Melbourne were a great side and they just fell apart in the last quarter.

"But this one, against a young Fremantle side who had four blokes who'd played finals (previously), they looked like they were a deer in the headlights.

"The defence was not worked out all year. I don't think Liam Jones is going to fix it, I don't think Rory Lobb is going to fix it, I think it's a system issue for the Western Bulldogs."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2022-western-bulldogs-luke-beveridge-set-for-assistant-coach-reshuffle-after-finals-exit/c1ac29d7-aa95-4100-962f-a1b2c431e7fb?ocid=Social-AFLFS

azabob
06-09-2022, 11:39 AM
No mention of a review on footy classified last night. Just a reshuffle in the coaches box.

Grantysghost
06-09-2022, 12:22 PM
You know you're heading in the right direction when Matthew Lloyd says you aren't.

Topdog
06-09-2022, 12:56 PM
You know you're heading in the right direction when Matthew Lloyd says you aren't.

was about to say I very rarely agree with him but he is spot on here

azabob
11-09-2022, 06:12 PM
Has anyone seen or heard anything offical from the club saying there will be a review ( internal/external) or is it still just media speculation from Mitch Cleary and Sam Edmund?

I would’ve thought after the way our year ended we would’ve received some sort of member communication from KWW, Blains or Grant.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2022, 11:00 PM
I would’ve thought after the way our year ended we would’ve received some sort of member communication from KWW.

The Phantom President?

I'm not even sure she exists.

bornadog
11-09-2022, 11:49 PM
Has anyone seen or heard anything offical from the club saying there will be a review ( internal/external) or is it still just media speculation from Mitch Cleary and Sam Edmund?

I would’ve thought after the way our year ended we would’ve received some sort of member communication from KWW, Blains or Grant.

Early days.

macca
12-09-2022, 01:35 AM
Has someone from that panel been reading woof ? Coincidence now they talk about bringing in assistant coaches, when we been raising this for months .

GVGjr
12-09-2022, 06:35 AM
Has someone from that panel been reading woof ? Coincidence now they talk about bringing in assistant coaches, when we been raising this for months .

I'm not so sure Macca, the increase to the soft cap would be the main reason why we and most other teams would be looking to beef up their coaching panels.

FrediKanoute
13-09-2022, 07:47 PM
Chris Maple has gone so that would suggest that the first shots in the review have been fired.

The Doctor
14-09-2022, 08:33 AM
here's a few ideas

https://www.facebook.com/paul.oconnor.5682

Welcome to Ocker’s Coaches Corner - Elimination Final 2022
The Claytons Leadership Group is from all teams I played in at the Doggies in 1976,7, 8 and 80, Macca was our coach in 77 and 78. There is a lot of knowledge in this fraternity and at the end of the day we all will stand and fight to the death behind our beloved Bulldogs. The credit and blame can go to many older Doggies – Woof Woof.
Macca is on the mend; he is still being ‘managed’ but is home with his leg in a plaster cast. His email of the match report was titled “THE END 2022”.
We had a huge turnout of supporters from VIC and all over W.A. and a gang of the WA Bulldogs Past Players at the Inglewood Hotel on Friday night. This set the tone for our second consecutive year of finals football. This is a great feeling for one who went through the 70’s when just making the finals was a monumental achievement. Many of us could get used to this, but WE MUST do better to finish higher on the ladder and have the interstaters fly all the way to take us on.
What a sad way to ‘end’ the season!
Let us start by stating the obvious, you should never lose a final after being 41 points up at the 20-minute mark of the 2nd quarter, this is unacceptable!
We have given serious thought how we should approach the Corner for the Elimination Final. We could go into great detail as we usually do or, provide a summary of what happened and go into detail where we need to improve in 2023.
We chose the latter option. Here is a summary of last week’s elimination final:
• We started the game by placing pressure on the ball carrier and limited the extent of zoning only to go back to the old zoning ways of minding grass in the 2nd half.
• Deep defenders folded back to the goal square allowing their direct opponent to take uncontested marks 25-30m out costing us 3 goals.
• An emphasis on spoiling as opposed to intercept marks. It is pointless spoiling as the primary method of defence if you are giving the opposition a 50/50 chance of winning the ball back.
• The lack of a defensive system that restricts the opposition walking the ball to their forward line.
• Lack of aggressively manning the mark and putting pressure on the ball carrier.
• Bombing the ball into the forward line and key forwards lacking separation when leading for the ball.
• Small forwards forgetting their role is to crumb and not fly for marks with our key forwards
• The lack of genuine experienced 2nd ruckman - forward
• Selection of underperforming players.
• Flawed team plan and team structure i.e., emphasis on bringing ball to ground in back half and relying on winning the 50/ 50 contested ball.
The past player fraternity has been discussing these issues long before the finals, it has been a common theme the last 2+ years.
So how do we improve? We start with a review of what has changed since our 2016 success and have included suggestions for improvement.
Review of Football Department
We acknowledge that the executive said there will be a review of the football department. The review needs to be truly independent undertaken by someone outside of the club if we are to improve in 2023. The Adelaide approach in 2019 is a good model, they appointed Jason Dunstall and Matthew Pavlich to conduct a review of their football operations. What we do not need is the rubberstamping of the status quo.
List management
List management needs a change in approach. Elevating 26 & 27-year-old VFL listed players to the AFL list has not worked. The VFL players must be at AFL level, (e.g., Marlion Pickett at the Tigers), or what is the point! There should not be the requirement to give them 30 or 40 games to develop. This has come at the expense of giving our younger players experience and game continuity, e.g., Khamis, West, Bedendo, Sweet and Butler etc.
Bringing in struggling mature age players from other clubs has been at the expense of trading out 23-year old’s that were not given the same opportunities. Two of the players traded out have blossomed at their respective new clubs. It is no surprise they commented in interviews that continuity of games and the coaches showing confidence in them has allowed them to be in the best players most weeks for their new clubs.
This brings us to the upcoming trade talk. Whilst Jones is likely to be a good asset down back, its baffling we would give a 32-year-old a 3-year contract, if this is true as speculated. What is the logic bringing Lobb? He is a 30-year-old forward / ruck looking at his 3rd club who has been a very inconsistent player throughout his career. We should not be blinded by his 4 goals against the dogs in Round 21. They were the result of uncontested lead up marks under no pressure. Tall forwards are not lacking at the dogs. We have had a young ruckman on our list for 4-years, he has been given very few opportunities at senior level. Let us not see him go the way of Lipinski and Young to shine at another club.
We need to reflect on the past to move forward to improve. Many of our 2016 premiership list; Bontempelli, JJ, Caleb Daniel, McLean, Boyd, Roberts, Stringer, McCrae, Hamling, and Clay Smith were recruited by Simon Dalrymple. Sydney is now benefiting from his experience and knowledge with a youth-based recruitment strategy. The Swans are a genuine premiership chance in 2022.
Giving his success recruiting young players to help teams get to the pointy end of the season, it calls into question the current strategy of recruiting mature age VFL players and AFL discards from other clubs.
Except for Jamara and Sam Darcy, we have placed an emphasis on recruiting small to mid-sized players, failed to target intercept marking defenders and continue to recruit speculative older players as short-term fixes.
It is time for a change in recruiting strategy.
Coaching department
We have lost several important assistant coaches and support staff over the last 3 years, Steven King, Ashley Hansen, Corey Enright, Gia, Jordan Russell, Dale Morris to name but a few. Notwithstanding the soft cap issues, such a high turnover of quality staff would normally raise concerns at an executive level. We acknowledge Luke’ s frustration with the extent of soft cap cuts but it has not stopped teams in the finals race recruiting experienced assistants. You only need to look at the four teams left in the finals; their assistants have extensive AFL experience outside the clubs they are now involved. For example, Craig McRae has two ex- AFL coaches in Leppitsch and Bolton as assistants, John Longmire has Dean Cox and Don Pyke as assistants and, have just signed Leon Cameron to head up their football academy. Their football directors also come from outside the club. Damien Hardwick benefited during the Tigers premiership years having Lippitsch, Williams, Carecella and Ben Rutten as assistants.
We have a couple of playing legends in senior roles at the club. Would they benefit by getting experience at another AFL club to gain a new perspective and experience outside of the Dogs bubble? Bob Murphy is at Fremantle in the Football Directors role. Matty Boyd, previously at the Pies and now at Fremantle as a senior assistant, is looking after defence. No surprises Freo are ranked in the top 3 for defence. We need strong minded assistants that will challenge ideas and provide alternative solutions.
Is it time to bring in new ideas from experienced AFL assistant coaches?
Game plan
The current game plan is not working. It is based on restricting the ball from getting into the oppositions forward line and getting players back to support our backline. We are one of the lowest ranked teams for defending one on ones in our backline and highest scored against from turnovers. The current game plan places little emphasis on putting pressure on the ball carrier, and we continue to peel off outside 5 when standing the mark.
One of the key issues in the back-half is we continue to zone off our immediate player regardless of the game scenario. As we saw in the GF last year, a zone is useless at a centre bounce when it comes straight out the front of the square. A zone also does not work if the opposition move the ball quickly out of their defence and our mids or half forwards cannot get back to zone into the space. When our deep backs are guarding space on an opposition break and, there is no pressure on the ball carrier, the opposition forwards get uncontested opportunities.
The other issue with our back half is it appears our deep backs are instructed to fold back to guard the goal square or, space in an arc in front of the goal square, rather than go with the leading player. As we saw in the Freo games in Round 21 and the Elimination Final, Fremantle had uncontested marks resulting in goals as result of no pressure on the ball carrier or defensive pressure on the forward leading.
Whilst the Pies took the outside 5 approach on Saturday night, (surprising our backline analyst), several mids and half forwards got back quickly to guard space and whilst others put immense pressure on the ball carrier in open play. The Swans take a more man on man approach. What is widely acknowledged is that defence wins finals and there are various iterations how to successfully defend, ours isn’t one of them.
Regardless of the iterations it involves, pressure on the ball carrier and receiver in some form and having an exceptionally good intercept mark down back is a requirement for success: e.g., the McCartin brothers at the Swans, Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe who combined for 21 intercepts against Freo, Tom Stewart at Geelong, May and Lever at the Dees.
The dogs game plan relies on spoiling creating 50/50 scenarios at best with small to medium sized players required to win the ball and run it out of our backline. This is at the expense of marking and controlling the ball. Our strategy is always going to put our defence under pressure. This game plan has also influenced our list management with an over emphasis on recruiting small to mid-sized players.
Let’s look at the game plan that worked for us in 2016, improve on it (see team structure and selection below), learn from the teams that have won the premiership since and those that are contesting the premiership this year.
Team structure / selection and players played out of position
When Luke came onboard, he was the beneficiary of Brendan McCartney placing importance on winning the contested ball, defence first and the sound recruiting by Simon Dalrymple.
Whilst we acknowledge the reasons behind Brendan’s departure, we have difficulty understanding the drastic change in team plan and structure that served as so well in 2016, the basics remain the same.
Our team structure for the GF in 2016 was based on 2 ruckman - forwards, Jordan Roughhead and Tom Boyd, notwithstanding the 3rd man up rule was still applicable. Our defence was based around 3 talls, Joel Hamling, Fletcher Roberts, and Dale Morris. They were supported by an intercept mark in Easton Wood, running backs JJ, Biggs and hard nut and defensive organiser Matty Boyd. Joel Hamling was traded back to Freo for family reasons, Roberts, Mathew Boyd and Roughhead were relegated to playing most of the 2017 season in the VFL. Our team structure has not looked anything like that since.
There is also a concern with players put in roles that does not match their skill set. JJ won a Norm Smith medal paying at halfback but has played as a wingman and half- forward since 2018 with only the occasional success.
Libba, the best clearance player in the competition in 2021 / 2022 spent the first 3-games on a half forward flank in 2022! Ed Richards made his mark in his first season playing of the halfback line. Like JJ he was moved to a wing and half forward with little impact. It is no surprise Ed’s breakout season this year is after he was moved back to the position, he played the majority of his junior footy.
Some of the past players had concerns with the recruitment of Mitch Hannan and elevation of Anthony Scott and others to the AFL list at the expense of young developing players. That said, it was unreasonable to expect Mitch and Anthony to be thrown into the half-backline, positions they have rarely played before and expect them to have an impact.
Some players are position specialists and that is where they provide the most benefit to the team. The philosophy of every player being able to play multiple positions does not always apply.
The Premiers since 2016, have a common theme. The team is built around the spine, a dominant ruckman supported by a 2nd tall with ruck craft, one or two intercept marks and defensive pressure.
We love seeing the Dogs playing finals and we want more, as all supporters do. What we do not want is wasting a season as we have done this year due to poor recruiting, poor game plan, lack of an effective defensive system and the lack of game continuity for the young and emerging players.
This can be a quick and simple fix, it just takes a change of philosophy from our coaches in the game plan, bring in one or two experienced assistant coaches that will challenge the status quo, replicate one or more aspects of the defensive systems of the teams playing off in the preliminary finals and, give our younger players greater game continuity. If this is done, we are of the belief we can push for a top four spot and go deep into the finals next year.

The Doctor
14-09-2022, 08:33 AM
cont.

We always put the feelers out to our crew to get a range of views. One of the very learned past players with extensive coaching experience shares his views on where we can improve.
Paul
“ I thought the Corner opening comments and Macca’s were excellent. A few thoughts of my own:
• The four remaining teams have built their teams around strong defences. We have struggled to do so with Gardner, Keath and O’Brien, being cast offs from other Clubs.
• Consideration should be given to playing Naughton and Darcy as key defenders.
• Our small forwards do not kick goals which requires urgent attention.
• English struggles as a knock ruck man and could be better utilised as a key forward together with either Bruce or Schache, with Ugle Hagen as a backup. Bontempelli also should spend more time forward, similar to Dusty Martin.
• Why not use Sweet and Lobb as our two ruckmen.
• The thought of losing Dunkley is a disaster in my opinion as both he and Liberatore have the physical presence that needs to be seen as an asset.
• More thought needs to be given to the likes of Bailey Smith and Macrae to dispose of the ball quicker and with greater accuracy.
• I would like to see Caleb Daniel with his better disposal becoming more effective in the midfield than played out of defence.
• Points in summary:
o Need to play two genuine ruckmen
o Need to establish two quality key defenders.
o Recruitment of small forwards who can kick goals.
o Consider new roles for Naughton Darcy English and Daniel.
o Do all possible to retain Dunkley.”
Whilst it has not been the year we expected, thank you to our great supporters who have given their all supporting the club this year. Let us not forget to support the AFLW team as they sit undefeated to date.
With all the above said, work needs to be done as our Premiership Window is closing!
Maintain the faith and the belief.
CEDE NULLIS
Together WE ARE BULLDOGS.
Go Doggies
Macca

FrediKanoute
15-09-2022, 02:35 AM
That's pretty comprehensive!

mjp
15-09-2022, 08:20 AM
This can be a quick and simple fix.

I like the sound of that...

- It just takes a change of philosophy from our coaches in the game plan.
- Bring in one or two experienced assistant coaches that will challenge the status quo,
- Replicate one or more aspects of the defensive systems of the teams playing off in the preliminary finals.
- Give our younger players greater game continuity.

Ummm.
- OK. If that is 'SIMPLE' I would love to hear what a complicated solution might be.

I don't actually disagree with much of what has been written but I do think the whole 'this is simple'/'totally change the plan' stuff that is being thrown around is just a bit dismissive of the extent of effort that is going to be required to move from 8th spot back into the top 4. I think it's perfectly fine to say we have a number of things to fix...but I don't think we should be saying it is going to be easy or simple. Reality? We were a top 4 team from the first half of 2021 but have been basically 50-50 since then...that needs a LOT of fixing, not a 'bit'.

OH - suggesting that we replicate the defensive style of other 2022 teams going into 2023? I'm not sure that is the way to go...we need to be at the head of the next wave not at the end of the previous one. You could argue that the Melbourne '3-headed monster' of tall defenders (Petty, May, Lever) was undone due to INJURY (Big Oscar) and Joe Daniher's partner going into labour...basically, Brisbane were forced to go small which messed with Melbourne's structure...BUT these players and the Melbourne intercepting style which is so in vogue right now...well, there is no guarantee that it is as effective in the FUTURE as it was in the past...

Topdog
15-09-2022, 08:37 AM
Melbourne went 6-8 to end the season and a lot of that was due to their game plan being worked out. It's bloody hard to make these big changes to your style of play and you really should never copy what someone else is doing. If anything you should look at what others are doing and work out ways to counter that going forward but again easier said than done.

The one thing that never changes with winning teams is having complete buy in from players, everyone working together

Happy Days
15-09-2022, 12:31 PM
Melbourne went 6-8 to end the season and a lot of that was due to their game plan being worked out. It's bloody hard to make these big changes to your style of play and you really should never copy what someone else is doing. If anything you should look at what others are doing and work out ways to counter that going forward but again easier said than done.

The one thing that never changes with winning teams is having complete buy in from players, everyone working together

I honestly believe it was because their best player told the rest of the team that he thinks they suck and then got sparked by one of those guys who he thinks sucks. They sound completely toxic.

bornadog
15-09-2022, 12:34 PM
I honestly believe it was because their best player told the rest of the team that he thinks they suck and then got sparked by one of those guys who he thinks sucks. They sound completely toxic.

Who celebrates like this after round 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2fDt-PLko

Happy Days
15-09-2022, 12:37 PM

They must’ve been saving the Entourage-themed celebration for the Grand Final

SquirrelGrip
15-09-2022, 02:18 PM
OH - suggesting that we replicate the defensive style of other 2022 teams going into 2023? I'm not sure that is the way to go...we need to be at the head of the next wave not at the end of the previous one. You could argue that the Melbourne '3-headed monster' of tall defenders (Petty, May, Lever) was undone due to INJURY (Big Oscar) and Joe Daniher's partner going into labour...basically, Brisbane were forced to go small which messed with Melbourne's structure...BUT these players and the Melbourne intercepting style which is so in vogue right now...well, there is no guarantee that it is as effective in the FUTURE as it was in the past...

Absolutely it's about the future. We want to be ahead of the game not replicating what the last few Premiers looked like. That was us in 2015-16, and arguably Collingwood and Sydney now. They have systems and fitness that has helped them finished higher than what it would at first seem from their playing list.

What's our next strategic advantage since Handball Club, or where can we find improvement from players in different roles? Analyse our list deeply and determine what physical/athletic advantage we may have over others and design our gameplan around that.

EasternWest
15-09-2022, 02:22 PM

Who celebrates like that full stop?

POC
15-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Thanks for Posting this Doctor, I am PAUL O'CONNOR, I was advise by a fellow Past Player. I will be posting regularly n Past Player actives as I am the official photographer for this group. I will post the original with pictures if I can. Cheers, POC and a copy of this has been sent to the CEO.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2022, 04:39 PM
Thanks for Posting this Doctor, I am PAUL O'CONNOR, I was advise by a fellow Past Player. I will be posting regularly n Past Player actives as I am the official photographer for this group. I will post the original with pictures if I can. Cheers, POC and a copy of this has been sent to the CEO.

Good that you joined Paul. Looking forward to some pics.

bornadog
15-09-2022, 04:53 PM

Welcome Paul.

Lots of good ideas on WOOF, and we are the number one Bulldog forum as we have mature discussions, even though we don't all agree with each other, it makes for good discussions.

mjp
15-09-2022, 06:46 PM
I am PAUL O'CONNOR.

Am I allowed to say "No, I'm Paul O'Connor".

We could go on like this all day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0

FrediKanoute
15-09-2022, 08:21 PM
Am I allowed to say "No, I'm Paul O'Connor".

We could go on like this all day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0

Great movie......due a remake

Axe Man
16-09-2022, 10:17 AM
Great movie......due a remake

By Michael Bay, with maximum explosions.

The Doctor
16-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Thanks Paul, I really enjoyed your post. This is a great site for analysing and discussing our footy team. There are some terrific contributors here and we look forward to hearing more from you and your colleagues.

azabob
16-09-2022, 07:09 PM
Any truth to the rumour we are getting Jimmy Bartel in a senior footy ops role?

GVGjr
16-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Any truth to the rumour we are getting Jimmy Bartel in a senior footy ops role?

I'm scared to ask but is that floating around anywhere creditable?

azabob
16-09-2022, 07:36 PM
I'm scared to ask but is that floating around anywhere creditable?

Unfortunately not. I was hoping if I keep saying it enough it will happen.

Bartel has publicly said he wants to move into footy ops full time.

I’d love for us to be bold enough to go after him and get him.

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately not. I was hoping if I keep saying it enough it will happen.

Bartel has publicly said he wants to move into footy ops full time.

I’d love for us to be bold enough to go after him and get him.

He will land at the cats or a big club.

jeemak
16-09-2022, 07:49 PM
Matt Spangher as forward line coach without coaching experience is a no-no but Jimmy Bartel heading a footy department without football administration experience is a good idea?

GVGjr
16-09-2022, 08:17 PM
Matt Spangher as forward line coach without coaching experience is a no-no but Jimmy Bartel heading a footy department without football administration experience is a good idea?

This is not directed at you but I don't quite get the criticism that is often directed towards Spangher. He was missing Bruce, JUH took a long time to establish himself and Darcy was working though injury challenges for the first half of the season. Naughton and Weightman needed a bit more support.

I'll judge him more about how the forward line functions next season.

azabob
16-09-2022, 08:22 PM

Bartel is football director at GWS and has worked at Brisbane in list management.

I’d say that is relevant experience.

azabob
16-09-2022, 08:24 PM
Further to this jee, what experience did Chris Grant have prior?

MrMahatma
16-09-2022, 08:41 PM
This is not directed at you but I don't quite get the criticism that is often directed towards Spangher. He was missing Bruce, JUH took a long time to establish himself and Darcy was working though injury challenges for the first half of the season. Naughton and Weightman needed a bit more support.

Dare say our defence and midfield went backwards this year.

Fwd line can get better but that wasn’t what hurt us.

jeemak
16-09-2022, 08:58 PM
Bartel is football director at GWS and has worked at Brisbane in list management.

I’d say that is relevant experience.

Good question, and how do we think he's going?

I'm not too phased about Bartel, and to be honest my question was more about Spangher and the shit he cops around here rather than Bartel himself.

jeemak
17-09-2022, 01:25 AM

It's fine G, nor do I and my post was intended to point to the bullshit he's copped all year. Aza's infatuation :) with Jimmy the dream boat was just a vehicle to do so!

Our coaching team was ripped apart late last year and never recovered, and as you point out the personnel within the forward line probably didn't help.

1eyedog
17-09-2022, 03:33 AM

He was a rad player and we love him don't question the gods.

Chris has seen Bevo get us into two grannys in 5 years he's vibing and knows it's a good bet that Bevo can win another one before he's done.

Rightfully so I say.

p.s. Grant is a legend! He is our James Hird minus the cheating bit.

jeemak
17-09-2022, 06:21 AM
He was a rad player and we love him don't question the gods.

Chris has seen Bevo get us into two grannys in 5 years he's vibing and knows it's a good bet that Bevo can win another one before he's done.

Rightfully so I say.

p.s. Grant is a legend! He is our James Hird minus the cheating bit.

This rad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLuySHQkPU

Chris is fine, most likely. We wouldn't ever know anyway because footy clubs are footy clubs.

1eyedog
18-09-2022, 10:03 AM
This rad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLuySHQkPU

Chris is fine, most likely. We wouldn't ever know anyway because footy clubs are footy clubs.

He's rad but you're asking a lot here.

azabob
07-10-2022, 10:41 PM
Ive asked this a couple of times and I still wonder if this is actually happening?

No mention if Maple is being replaced or did we use his salary to help bring in Lade.

Listening to Liam Jones it seems Rohan Smith is staying on as backline coach.

Anyone else heard anything?

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Ive asked this a couple of times and I still wonder if this is actually happening?

No mention if Maple is being replaced or did we use his salary to help bring in Lade.

Listening to Liam Jones it seems Rohan Smith is staying on as backline coach.

Anyone else heard anything?

OK I've heard a bit today. Smith very likely to stay in the same role. Lade is an extra and Maple will be replaced.
2 more resources into the footy department as well but not sure what that looks like.

Happy Days
07-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Wasn’t Maple replaced by Lade?

Axe Man
07-10-2022, 11:07 PM

No Maple was coach, development and operations manager. Lade will be midfield coach, Webb stoppages and opposition strategy.

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 11:07 PM

Lade is going to be the midfield coach and Webb is sliding over to stoppage and opposition analysis duties.

jeemak
08-10-2022, 12:52 AM
No Maple was coach, development and operations manager. Lade will be midfield coach, Webb stoppages and opposition strategy.

Check out Axe pretending he knows stuff about the club and it's employees.