PDA

View Full Version : Rory Lobb

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Dry Rot
15-09-2022, 07:48 PM
No Lobb trade according to Freo

https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1570340746557018112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1570340746557018112%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 07:50 PM

https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1570340746557018112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1570340746557018112%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Good news, close the thread!

GVGjr
15-09-2022, 08:03 PM

All part of the dance, if they land Jackson it will quickly change

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 08:11 PM
All part of the dance, if they land Jackson it will quickly change

That's pretty unequivocal.

I don't think they're bluffing.

GVGjr
15-09-2022, 08:20 PM

You might be right but Darcy, Lobb and Jackson might be a bit of a balancing act for them.
He's on 700K next season as well.

If Jackson goes to West Coast they will hold onto Lobb. Not convinced they will if he comes to Fremantle.

EasternWest
15-09-2022, 08:28 PM

Guaranteed Lobb isn't there next year.

I'll let you have a free hit at the nets if I'm wrong.

Happy Days volunteers as tribute.

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 08:31 PM
Guaranteed Lobb isn't there next year.

I'll let you have a free hit at the nets if I'm wrong.

Happy Days volunteers as tribute.

You're on.

Remember when you're getting all macho on me :

I can run really adequately and play dead just better than adequately. Weekend at Bernie's got nothing on me.

G-Mo77
15-09-2022, 08:36 PM
Yeah, bit of posturing on Freo's behalf here. If they do hold firm then good on them, he is under contract after all.

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 09:26 PM
Yeah, bit of posturing on Freo's behalf here. If they do hold firm then good on them, he is under contract after all.

They did the same last year.

He wanted out to GWS, they said no in the exact same fashion.

Time to move on to better targets.

Logue to North is annoying, I like him and he's young.

hujsh
15-09-2022, 09:27 PM
In theory Jackson can come into the side and take Logue's spot and would fit in with Lobb but no idea how that works with their salary

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2022, 09:30 PM

From memory that came late so perhaps they run out of time. Plus, Lobb had 2 years to run on his contract.

Logue going potentially complicates it for us, but they'll need space for Jackson and likely need to get back into the draft so I could see them accepting a second round pick

Depends where Freo evaluate their list/window; do they think they can contend in the next 2 years? If not, overpay for Jackson and let a 30 y.o leave and keep building the list (which they're likely to do given they're losing Acres and Logue already).

Mofra
15-09-2022, 09:31 PM
In theory Jackson can come into the side and take Logue's spot and would fit in with Lobb but no idea how that works with their salary
They had cash set aside for Angus Brayshaw, so can fit him in (especially with Logue, Acres & Tucker going).
They've said that they want Jackson to play more like Blicavs than a 2nd forward/ruck

Grantysghost
15-09-2022, 09:36 PM
They had cash set aside for Angus Brayshaw, so can fit him in (especially with Logue, Acres & Tucker going).
They've said that they want Jackson to play more like Blicavs than a 2nd forward/ruck

Yes I think he stays.

Makes sense for Freo to have Jackson and Lobb and the Acres and Logue wages will already offset slightly Jackson.

Axe Man
16-09-2022, 09:14 AM

Time to move on to better targets.

Logue to North is annoying, I like him and he's young.

It wasn't the same. He indicated he wanted to go if they could work something out. GWS couldn't come up with anything satisfactory, so he stayed.

This time Lobb is unequivocal in wanting out and Freo are unequivocal in saying no (at this stage). I remember GWS were pretty unequivocal in saying they weren't going to trade Tom Boyd too. Let's just wait and see with this one.

Axe Man
16-09-2022, 09:22 AM
‘Not sure what has happened’: Rory Lobb’s manager stunned by Freo stance, still hopeful of deal being done (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/fremantle-dockers/afl-trade-news-2022-fremantle-denies-rory-lobb-trade-request-to-western-bulldogs-manager-colin-young-has-not-given-up-hope/news-story/8893307245fa92d4037dd2617f00b431?fbclid=IwAR2b4UpAS8LXmAi1_i Q2Yr9FS7c9ZQSk0ktSTGGafIwWKW3YtAvNAASgl8g)

Fremantle forward Rory Lobb remains determined to land at the Western Bulldogs, despite being left disappointed by the Dockers declaring they “wouldn’t be able to facilitate a trade” for him.

The Dockers will be one of the most active clubs in the trade period this off-season. They’re the favourite to land outgoing Demon Luke Jackson and have interest Suns duo Jeremy Sharp and Josh Corbett, but they’re also set to lose up to a handful of players to rival clubs.

Dockers football boss Peter Bell said his club would work with both Carlton and North Melbourne to strike suitable trades for off-contract players Blake Acres and Griffin Logue respectively. Freo also indicated contracted wingman Darcy Tucker and his management would explore the possibility of a trade with the full support of the club.

Bell also confirmed Lobb this week had indicated he was seeking a trade — a request the club, at this stage, wasn’t prepared to allow.

“We had a conversation with Rory where we informed him that due to his contracted status and also the importance he has for our structure that we wouldn’t be able to facilitate a trade for Rory,” Bell said.

Despite being the subject of ample trade speculation throughout the year, Lobb was crucial to Fremantle’s stunning 2022 surge up the ladder, booting a club-high 36 goals from 21 games in a career-best season.

Rival clubs for months had suggested Lobb, who tried to be dealt back to the Giants in last year’s trade period, wouldn’t be playing for the Dockers next season.

The West Australian reported on Thursday night Lobb was “upset” by the stance the Dockers had taken this week.

Lobb’s manager Colin Young said the Dockers 12 months ago indicated they could trade him at the end of the 2022 season.

“Rory and I absolutely understand that Fremantle can hold him to the last year of his contract, totally understandable,” Lobb’s manager Colin Young told The West Australian.

“Fremantle are entitled to do whatever is in the best in the interest of the club, as they should do. However if trading Rory to the Western Bulldogs secures Luke Jackson, then it could be a win for everyone.

“When the trade period ended last year the conversation that took place between Rory and the club suggested that they could look at trading Rory this season, so I’m not sure what has happened. I hope we can all work together to get the best result for all parties, just as we will look to do with Griffin Logue.”

St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt said he could understand why the Dockers were playing hardball with Lobb.

“They‘re into Luke Jackson up to their eyeballs, so the prospect of getting Luke Jackson over and having a year of Luke Jackson with Rory Lobb, plus you played finals this year … If you’ve got contracted players, given the exodus that has been touted at Fremantle, well then you’re holding on to who you can,” Riewoldt told Fox Footy’s AFL 360 Plus.

Triple premiership Tiger Jack Riewoldt added: “In the first quarter against Collingwood on the weekend, he was probably one of the only players that showed a little bit in terms of being able to damage and play alright in the first quarter.

“Six-foot-six blokes that can mark the ball and kick the ball well, they do not grow on trees. So if you can get him and arguably they‘re going for Jackson as well, they could be a really important duo for Fremantle.”

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 09:34 AM
He aint coming.

Who am I meeting at the nets?

Was HD the proxy EW?

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 09:44 AM
It wasn't the same. He indicated he wanted to go if they could work something out. GWS couldn't come up with anything satisfactory, so he stayed.

This time Lobb is unequivocal in wanting out and Freo are unequivocal in saying no (at this stage). I remember GWS were pretty unequivocal in saying they weren't going to trade Tom Boyd too. Let's just wait and see with this one.

I meant the same as in they denied him.

Last time it was more a reach out and GWS didn't come up with anything worthwhile.

Axe Man
16-09-2022, 09:48 AM
He aint coming.

Was HD the proxy EW?

The bowling machine.

https://i.postimg.cc/hvptGWgV/happy-gilmore-adam-sandler.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 09:57 AM
The bowling machine.

https://i.postimg.cc/hvptGWgV/happy-gilmore-adam-sandler.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Haha... Gold. I'll employ the 5 d's of dodgeball.

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and..... Dodge.

bornadog
16-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Haha... Gold. I'll employ the 5 d's of dodgeball.

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and..... Dodge.

You will need it after HD gets a hold of you :D

Happy Days
16-09-2022, 10:10 AM
He aint coming.

Was HD the proxy EW?

I like you GG. Don’t show up at the nets.

1eyedog
16-09-2022, 10:10 AM

Unequivocal and bluffing are very watery words during the trade period.

Lobb seems the type of guy who is a bit laconic and may not give 100% next year if his head isn't in it. Feel like he'd hold a grudge especially after they said they'll help him out with a trade next season and then go back on that. He is under contract but I think us holding onto Dunkley last year really was a very bold stance.

Typically, if a player wants out bad enough I'm not sure if there is big value in keeping that player at your club. Dunkley is a professional and a premiership player with us so we obviously thought we would get one more push out of him this season in the hope of going deep in the finals. We certainly got 100%. Lobb owes Freo nothing other than the last year of his contract the connection there is much thinner.

Freo probably think they're a shot next year with Jackson and Lobb but I still feel they're a young team who played out of their skin this year and are still 2-3 years away from a consistent top 4 team.

Happy Days
16-09-2022, 10:18 AM
Just the out we need to go get Grundy.

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 10:20 AM
I like you GG. Don’t show up at the nets.

I have read some anime comics that contained Karate.

You ready for that?!

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 10:21 AM
Just the out we need to go get Grundy.

I think with the fresh avatar, a ruck replacement is required in your signature.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2022, 10:58 AM
Grundy and English would be great. English can bide his time as a forward/ruck and learn from Grundy while he gets stronger and more experienced. SO much better than an English/Lobb combo. I really hope we're looking at Grundy.

bornadog
16-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Grundy and English would be great. English can bide his time as a forward/ruck and learn from Grundy while he gets stronger and more experienced. SO much better than an English/Lobb combo. I really hope we're looking at Grundy.

What would he cost in picks?

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2022, 11:15 AM
What would he cost in picks?

Yeah I'm not sure. Flipping #branddunks into Grundy? Would that be a good move? Maybe with a little change.

Happy Days
16-09-2022, 11:24 AM
I think with the fresh avatar, a ruck replacement is required in your signature.

No way. We make that trade and we are 2021 premiers. Never forget what they took from you.

Happy Days
16-09-2022, 11:25 AM
Yeah I'm not sure. Flipping #branddunks into Grundy? Would that be a good move? Maybe with a little change.

McStay to Pies
Dunkley to Lions
Grundy to us

That’ll be whatever Sam Power’s annual salary is thank you.

Mitcha
16-09-2022, 11:35 AM
It's funny that Grundy has become a much better player the longer he has been out injured, not happening anyways.

Axe Man
16-09-2022, 11:50 AM
It's funny that Grundy has become a much better player the longer he has been out injured, not happening anyways.

I would have thought it's the other way around. A slow start to the year and then an injury and everyone seems to have forgotten he has been in the top 2 ruckmen in the league for the past 4 or 5 years and is still only 28. The bloke has absolutely destroyed us on multiple occasions.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2022, 12:30 PM

2 x All Australian
2 x B&F

Are we talking about the same player?

Grantysghost
16-09-2022, 12:37 PM
2 x All Australian
2 x B&F

Are we talking about the same player?

He's a gun.

The Underdog
16-09-2022, 12:46 PM

I don't disagree on the set-up, I quite like it, but English is 25. I reckon it's too late for him to be biding his time. If we don't see him as a first ruck next year, we transition him to the "Lobb" role and make it a thing.

Sedat
16-09-2022, 12:49 PM
I would have thought it's the other way around. A slow start to the year and then an injury and everyone seems to have forgotten he has been in the top 2 ruckmen in the league for the past 4 or 5 years and is still only 28. The bloke has absolutely destroyed us on multiple occasions.
He sleeps in the changerooms the night before playing the Dogs just to make sure he doesn't miss filling his boots against us. From memory he got 3 or 4 consecutive 3-vote Brownlow games up against English, with a number of those games being close with Grundy being pivotal to the outcome.

bornadog
17-09-2022, 04:07 PM
LOBB REPORTEDLY “FURIOUS”, SKIPS PLAYER MEETING AFTER TRADE REQUEST DENIED (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/17/lobb-reportedly-furious-skips-player-meeting-after-trade-request-denied/)

Rory Lobb has reportedly been left “rocked” and “furious” with Fremantle's stance to refuse his trade request.

Lobb confirmed rumours he would seek a trade to Victoria earlier this week, however the club was quick to inform the tall forward he would not move clubs.

In a statement to Fremantle’s website, head of footy operations Peter Bell said: “Rory indicated that he was seeking a trade, we had a conversation with Rory where we informed him that due to his contracted status and the importance that he has for our structure, we wouldn’t be able to facilitate a trade for Rory.”

Lobb is contracted for another season at Fremantle.

SEN’s Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund says Lobb and his management had an understanding that the trade request would be granted.

“Now, Lobb has been wanting out since then (last trade period) and there have been discussions as far back as 10-12 months ago with Fremantle indicating they would trade him this year,” Edmund told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“So Peter Bell saying they wouldn’t sanction a trade has rocked him a fair bit.”

In addition to the disgruntlement, 9 News Perth reported on Friday that Lobb failed to rock up to a compulsory Dockers’ player meeting.

The report states Lobb is “furious” with Fremantle following the tumultuous week.

The Dockers conducted exit interviews this week after being knocked out of the finals by Collingwood, with Blake Acres, Griffin Logue and Darcy Tucker also intending to look for a trade.

Grantysghost
17-09-2022, 04:09 PM
This is why I believe it ain't happening.

Bell is not stuffing about.

If Lobb cracks it hard enough and says he isn't going to play then maybe they'll budge.

But I very much doubt he is going to sit aside from 750k.

Not sure why they are treating him this way tbh.

Happy Days
17-09-2022, 04:12 PM
Well damn we did all we could but sorry Rory what can we do.

Anyone else available?

hujsh
17-09-2022, 04:14 PM
This is why I believe it ain't happening.

Bell is not stuffing about.

If Lobb cracks it hard enough and says he isn't going to play then maybe they'll budge.

But I very much doubt he is going to sit aside from 750k.

Not sure why they are treating him this way tbh.

I wonder if keeping someone there who very is so determined to leave is a good idea.

I know we did with Dunks but we never made any promise to trade him either and he wasn't so upset that it impacted his professionalism.

I think Lobb is trying to force their hand here (and TBH it kind of helps lower his value at the trade table so it's not the worst outcome for us that he's reacting so strongly)

Grantysghost
17-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Well damn we did all we could but sorry Rory what can we do.

Anyone else available?

When we've put in months of work to get Lobb I doubt a mad late scramble will get us anything.

These deals are done way out usually.

jeemak
17-09-2022, 04:20 PM
Peter Bell and Fremantle are looking like massive shitheads, if they told Lobb they would trade him last year.

Players won't be able to deal with them in confidence moving forward, my bet is they'll trade him to us.

bornadog
17-09-2022, 04:22 PM
Peter Bell and Fremantle are looking like massive shitheads, if they told Lobb they would trade him last year.

Players won't be able to deal with them in confidence moving forward, my bet is they'll trade him to us.

hey Jee, realistically what is he worth in picks?

Happy Days
17-09-2022, 04:22 PM
When we've put in months of work to get Lobb I doubt a mad late scramble will get us anything.

These deals are done way out usually.

Sounds like sunk costs fallacy to me my man. There’s a better player available and our stubbornness over the whole deal is infuriating.

jeemak
17-09-2022, 04:24 PM
hey Jee, realistically what is he worth in picks?

A med-high second. By that I mean middle of the second round.

bornadog
17-09-2022, 04:27 PM
A med-high second. By that I mean middle of the second round.

I reckon that sounds about right

Grantysghost
17-09-2022, 04:46 PM
Sounds like sunk costs fallacy to me my man. There’s a better player available and our stubbornness over the whole deal is infuriating.

G-rund?

Happy Days
17-09-2022, 05:10 PM
G-rund?

Yes. Stop being so nice to everyone and get it done Sammy.

G-Mo77
18-09-2022, 07:36 AM
There is another side to the story here. Apparently his contract was heavily front loaded and has wanted to break it and get a new one because it's at the lower end of the deal. I don't blame Freo here if they are standing firm.

It's going to get messy but I think cooler heads will prevail and a deal will be struck.

GVGjr
18-09-2022, 07:41 AM
There is another side to the story here. Apparently his contract was heavily front loaded and has wanted to break it and get a new one because it's at the lower end of the deal. I don't blame Freo here if they are standing firm.

It's going to get messy but I think cooler heads will prevail and a deal will be struck.

That's interesting. From what I have read the last year of his deal is at 750K.
Seems that he and his partner have already purchased a place in South Yarra.

G-Mo77
18-09-2022, 09:13 AM
That's interesting. From what I have read the last year of his deal is at 750K.
Seems that he and his partner have already purchased a place in South Yarra.

Well no one really knows but it's really conflicting. You talk with Freo supporters with a bit of knowledge and they'll tell you it was front ended.

I go back to the Boyd deal, that was massively front loaded from our internal knowledge but the narrative in the public and media was completely different.

We don't know it all but I tend to lean towards what the Freo guys are saying and if that's what it is it's a pretty shitty thing Lobb is doing. A bit like what Collingwood did to Treloar, backend his contract and then try not to pay him when he gets there. Bad business!

Boots
18-09-2022, 10:09 AM
It would be heartbreaking as a Dockers fan to make the semis and then watch as a good chunk of players left or wanted out.

Grantysghost
18-09-2022, 11:39 AM
No deal.

GVGjr
18-09-2022, 12:00 PM
It would be heartbreaking as a Dockers fan to make the semis and then watch as a good chunk of players left or wanted out.

Yes it will be very frustrating for Fremantle supporters to see so many players looking to depart after what was a very successful season.

jeemak
18-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Well no one really knows but it's really conflicting. You talk with Freo supporters with a bit of knowledge and they'll tell you it was front ended.

I go back to the Boyd deal, that was massively front loaded from our internal knowledge but the narrative in the public and media was completely different.

We don't know it all but I tend to lean towards what the Freo guys are saying and if that's what it is it's a pretty shitty thing Lobb is doing. A bit like what Collingwood did to Treloar, backend his contract and then try not to pay him when he gets there. Bad business!

Wouldn't they just have a provision/ protection clause in his contract that would trigger and ensure he doesn't receive in total more than the deal allowed for and balance over the four years instead of five or whatever - with him either having to pay back funds if required or be held to his deal?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Is Jackson worth it for Freo?

It seems they have lowballed a few players (Acres and Logue) and will likely also cough up Lobb (further $$). Not sure I would be overly thrilled about it if I was a fan.

Jackson is likely to never be a genuine week-to-week matchwinner.

bornadog
18-09-2022, 02:17 PM

It seems they have lowballed a few players (Acres and Logue) and will likely also cough up Lobb (further $$). Not sure I would be overly thrilled about it if I was a fan.

Jackson is likely to never been a genuine week-to-week matchwinner.

Jackson was ordinary this year, but he is still young and will improve

The Bulldogs Bite
18-09-2022, 02:32 PM
Jackson was ordinary this year, but he is still young and will improve

Yes, but is he/can he be a bonafide match winner? Because that's what they're paying for.

The only 'ruck' that has been a matchwinner is Max Gawn IMO. Grundy is/was great but I wouldn't even say he's a genuine matchwinner (but hey, I could be swayed).

It's a big gamble by Freo.

G-Mo77
18-09-2022, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't they just have a provision/ protection clause in his contract that would trigger and ensure he doesn't receive in total more than the deal allowed for and balance over the four years instead of five or whatever - with him either having to pay back funds if required or be held to his deal?

Not sure. I'd imagine the contract he's on would be void should he be traded and he'd be free to negotiate a deal with us.

Go_Dogs
18-09-2022, 03:06 PM
I usually agree with you TBB, but Jackson is 20 years old has already played ~40 games including being arguably in the top 3-5 impactful players in a winning GF, and was a pick 2 in the draft. He’s exactly the sort of player that teams expend a huge amount of capital to acquire and Freo would be laughing all the way, even at no doubt the hefty price they’ll pay.

It’s hard to see Jackson being anything but a 200+ gamer with multiple AAs over the course of the next 10-12 years IMO. He’s mobile and flexible enough to play multiple roles / positions, can influence around the contest at ground level and in the air, and will only get better.

GVGjr
18-09-2022, 04:03 PM

Jackson is likely to never be a genuine week-to-week matchwinner.

I don't know how they measure it in terms of being worthwhile but I think most clubs would be very interested to get him.
I don't get the numbers being mentioned though because I don't think any ruck man is worth that sort of investment.

Bulldog4life
18-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Regarding Lobb forward/rucks at 207cm are pretty hard to find.

azabob
18-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Regarding Lobb forward/rucks at 207cm are pretty hard to find.

Funnily enough English is that height and a good option as 2nd forward/ruck.

Bulldog4life
18-09-2022, 06:20 PM
Funnily enough English is that height and a good option as 2nd forward/ruck.

I think I have said this before ironically Tim said when he came to our club his game was modeled on Rory's game.

azabob
18-09-2022, 07:09 PM
I think I have said this before ironically Tim said when he came to our club his game was modeled on Rory's game.

That made me laugh. I had not previously heard that!

bornadog
18-09-2022, 08:33 PM

Therein lies the problem :D

bulldogtragic
24-09-2022, 10:30 AM
Jon Ralph:

Could Fremantle trading Rory Lobb to the Western Bulldogs for pick 29 unlock the Luke Jackson deal? That is what he will be hoping as he remains in Melbourne awaiting movement on a trade the Dockers have said won't happen.

Melbourne says it wants two first-rounders and a second-rounder or two picks within 10 (including one within the first seven picks) for Jackson. But if the Dockers can't find those early top-10 picks the could trade their first-rounder, future first- rounder and secure 29 from the Dogs for Lobb.

GVGjr
24-09-2022, 10:49 AM
Jon Ralph:

Could Fremantle trading Rory Lobb to the Western Bulldogs for pick 29 unlock the Luke Jackson deal? That is what he will be hoping as he remains in Melbourne awaiting movement on a trade the Dockers have said won't happen.

Melbourne says it wants two first-rounders and a second-rounder or two picks within 10 (including one within the first seven picks) for Jackson. But if the Dockers can't find those early top-10 picks the could trade their first-rounder, future first- rounder and secure 29 from the Dogs for Lobb.

I remain convinced we will get Lobb over to the kennel, I'm not as sure we really need him though.

KT31
24-09-2022, 03:12 PM
I remain convinced we will get Lobb over to the kennel, I'm not as sure we really need him though.

Fully agree with you GVGjr.

The Underdog
24-09-2022, 03:36 PM

I’m massively underwhelmed by the prospect.

Grantysghost
24-09-2022, 03:41 PM

What makes you so certain?

The way he reportedly reacted to the news made me belie e it was doneski.

Happy Days
24-09-2022, 03:57 PM
I’m not gonna not be a member or stop going to games or anything like that, but we pay a cent more than pick 29 for Lobb and I’m gonna egg and maybe tag up Whitten Oval hold me to it.

Grantysghost
24-09-2022, 04:01 PM
I’m not gonna not be a member or stop going to games or anything like that, but we pay a cent more than pick 29 for Lobb and I’m gonna egg and maybe tag up Whitten Oval hold me to it.

I'll help.

We hitting Skinner too?

GVGjr
24-09-2022, 04:01 PM
What makes you so certain?

The way he reportedly reacted to the news made me belie e it was doneski.

A few things:
He's purchased a home in South Yarra
Fremantle will need some picks to help them land Jackson
As a club they will not want to piss off his mega player agent
Do they really need Lobb if they land Jackson

Lets see if that theory holds up :)

bornadog
24-09-2022, 04:13 PM
At this stage, there is no one else to play that Ruck, Fwd role and he is an upgrade on whatever we can dish up.

Swoop
24-09-2022, 04:23 PM
What are the alternatives?

If we develop Darcy and Jamarra in our forward line, it makes it hard for us to be competitive late in September.

What other realistic ruck/forwards are out there that can contribute immediately? Joel Amartey from Swans was overlooked for the Grand Final, can we offer him better job security?

I understand Lobb isn't everyone's preference, but what's the realistic solution?

EasternWest
24-09-2022, 06:28 PM

But how can we when we are not narcs?

Grantysghost
24-09-2022, 06:32 PM
A few things:
He's purchased a home in South Yarra
Fremantle will need some picks to help them land Jackson
As a club they will not want to piss off his mega player agent
Do they really need Lobb if they land Jackson

Lets see if that theory holds up :)

There has been some talk they were going to play Jackson in a Blicavs style role.

So they'd still need Lobb.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 06:34 PM
But how can we when we are not narcs?

It's not being a narc if you're asked to do it.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 06:38 PM
I really don't see what the fuss is all about, and how we could think we couldn't use him.

Any expectations of consistency on Darcy or JUH are still premature, and I reckon if Bruce doesn't fire a shot next year which is more than a chance we'll be regretting not doing something about it.

Lobb is the only competent player available who can provide cover for all of those players mentioned (let's not kid ourselves that Grundy is a chance to come to us), and he's just come off a career best year. If everyone's playing well and it means we have to develop Darcy back as an interceptor while he matures then that's fine as well.

A mid to high second round pick is about right.

Mofra
24-09-2022, 06:39 PM
A late pick back to use on the two rounders for Dunkley deal?

GVGjr
24-09-2022, 06:39 PM
At this stage, there is no one else to play that Ruck, Fwd role and he is an upgrade on whatever we can dish up.

It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it. Bruce can still provide that 5 minute chop out but no doubt Lobb would be an upgrade on that. I'm not convinced we need him but I think we will strike a late deal.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 06:43 PM
It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it. Bruce can still provide that 5 minute chop out but no doubt Lobb would be an upgrade on that. I'm not convinced we need him but I think we will strike a late deal.

How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021? I really like him, he works hard and when it's going well for him the team functions so much better. However, given his form with us and that after his peak in that time he suffered a serious knee injury taking only him as the viable forward/ ruck next year is asking for trouble.

And it's the toughest position on the field to find someone competent in. A cursory glance at Sydney and Sam Reid these past few years and these past couple of weeks demonstrates how critical it is to get right.

If Lobb wasn't on the table this year, and Bruce fell away next year via a recurrence of injury or form how do you think we'd react around here if nothing was done and we left things up to JUH and Darcy?

bornadog
24-09-2022, 06:46 PM
How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021? I really like him, he works hard and when it's going well for him the team functions so much better. However, given his form with us and that after his peak in that time he suffered a serious knee injury taking only him as the viable forward/ ruck next year is asking for trouble.

And it's the toughest position on the field to find someone competent in. A cursory glance at Sydney and Sam Reid these past few years and these past couple of weeks demonstrates how critical it is to get right.

If Lobb wasn't on the table this year, and Bruce fell away next year via a recurrence of injury or form how do you think we'd react around here if nothing was done and we left things up to JUH and Darcy?

and Tim English was injured

GVGjr
24-09-2022, 06:52 PM

Fairly confident he can get back to 85% of his 2021 form. He never really had a chance this year and it was exceptionally poor planning on our behalf to have not covered it in the last trade period.
I don't think Josh Bruce is a spent force for us. With a good pre-season behind him he can still play a part.

F'scary
24-09-2022, 06:57 PM
How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021?

I'm more confident of him returning to his 2020 form.

Swoop
24-09-2022, 06:58 PM
I agree with you GVGjr, Bruce is a known quantity and he was always going to take this season just to rebound. A full preseason running with Jack Steele will lay the foundation for a strong and consistent season in 2023.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, he needs to be able to compete with quality opponents and he makes Naughton and Marra better around him.

The question is whether he regains his 2021 form and Marra continues to improve, how does Lobb fit into a functioning forward line?

hujsh
24-09-2022, 06:59 PM

Is the way we use it determined by tactics or personnel available? Might having a player like Lobb alter the way we use our ruck/2nd ruck somewhat?

EasternWest
24-09-2022, 07:00 PM
It's not being a narc if you're asked to do it.

Good point.

bornadog
24-09-2022, 07:08 PM
It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it.

Have a look at the way Geelong use their rucks. Maybe we start Tim and Lobb in the centre with Tim playing a Blicavs role. ;)

bulldogtragic
24-09-2022, 07:15 PM
Have a look at the way Geelong use their rucks. Maybe we start Tim and Lobb in the centre with Tim playing a Blicavs role. ;)

Why not go harder to get Grundy then? Get a real first ruck and gave Tim in that role? With the four tall forwards, maybe keep Schache as depth/insurance on minimal dollars?

bornadog
24-09-2022, 07:21 PM
Why not go harder to get Grundy then? Get a real first ruck and gave Tim in that role? With the four tall forwards, maybe keep Schache as depth/insurance on minimal dollars?

As much as I would love that, I don't think we are talking to him - but you never know.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 07:26 PM

I reckon everyone would love Grundy and have Tim play the forward ruck role which he could do at an all time elite level - but given you haven't been around you may have missed the chatter about Tim pretty much signing on conditional upon being played as a first ruck.

If it were me I'd just play Tim where I wanted him to play and get Grundy in. Tim might crack the shits but if he wanted a great deal in two years time he'd have to play well anyway, so it would be a win win and by the time he did (if - you know, kicking goals and being awesome is addictive, he just hasn't had enough tastes yet) choose to leave he'd have played great footy for us and Darcy and JUH would be ready to get into their careers.

But it's unlikely to happen and that's what I'm discussing here. I am a proponent of Bruce but I don't think he's a better than even chance of getting back to his best form. And contrary to GVGjnr I think that if we have the right person playing the second ruck role we move the ball so much better and look more dangerous.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2022, 07:28 PM
As much as I would love that, I don't think we are talking to him - but you never know.

The theory you have is interesting, like Freo getting Jackson for the same role. But they have Darcy holding up the first ruck. Getting Lobb wouldn’t be good enough for it to work. We’d need a Grundy or other mature first ruck for it to work. Lobb to me seems to reaffirm Tim is the first ruck, and Lobb is an upgrade chop out ruck than Bruce, Schache or Cordy etc.

Not as inspiring or interesting as your idea.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2022, 07:32 PM
I reckon everyone would love Grundy and have Tim play the forward ruck role which he could do at an all time elite level - but given you haven't been around you may have missed the chatter about Tim pretty much signing on conditional upon being played as a first ruck.

If it were me I'd just play Tim where I wanted him to play and get Grundy in. Tim might crack the shits but if he wanted a great deal in two years time he'd have to play well anyway, so it would be a win win and by the time he did (if - you know, kicking goals and being awesome is addictive, he just hasn't had enough tastes yet) choose to leave he'd have played great footy for us and Darcy and JUH would be ready to get into their careers.

But it's unlikely to happen and that's what I'm discussing here. I am a proponent of Bruce but I don't think he's a better than even chance of getting back to his best form. And contrary to GVGjnr I think that if we have the right person playing the second ruck role we move the ball so much better and look more dangerous.

Like when Luke Darcy threaten to walk if we didn’t do something stupid like Peter Street for Pick 20. Good things happen when rucks dictate list management decisions…

I don’t think any first ruck would entertain us, including Grundy. I wouldn’t if I were them. More so to BADs suggestion of moving English around. Lobb as first ruck is not a good idea I wouldn’t have thought. As above, Lobb to seems like a reaffirmation of the status quo.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-09-2022, 07:57 PM
My concern with Bruce isn't fitness, he can get that back, it's mobility and his ability to jump.

He couldn't get off the ground this year, not sure I'm banking on that returning.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Like when Luke Darcy threaten to walk if we didn’t do something stupid like Peter Street for Pick 20. Good things happen when rucks dictate list management decisions…

I don’t think any first ruck would entertain us, including Grundy. I wouldn’t if I were them. More so to BADs suggestion of moving English around. Lobb as first ruck is not a good idea I wouldn’t have thought. As above, Lobb to seems like a reaffirmation of the status quo.

That's the point, we're looking at someone like Lobb purely because we don't need/ want a first ruck according to the footy department and Tim. Tim to the footy department and Tim is all we need, and are likely to have on the list as a first ruck.

Lobb is purely coming to us as a forward/ ruck, but one we probably think can cover up to 40-50% of ruck duties if called upon to do so.

So I agree with you, we're unlikely to entertain getting someone like Grundy and the question then turns to whether we think Lobb and Bruce is a better outcome for a crack next year over Bruce and Darcy or some other available player yet to be identified over Darcy.

To me Lobb makes perfect sense for us right now. Yes, having him for 2022 would have been awesome but we didn't, and that shouldn't mean we ignore the issue anyway.

A bit like Barry Hall. He would have been great for us when everything was going right in 2009 - but that doesn't mean we should have ignored him in 2010. If you can fix a weakness, build a contingency and make your options stronger for success at an affordable price then you should just do it.

Swoop
24-09-2022, 08:24 PM
Is too much being made of this whole English insists on playing as our ruckman? He plays there because he's our best option. I have no issue with him being our ruckman, and he has shown that he can become elite. Admittedly his form has dropped the past two years after missing a chunk of games but that's understandable.

I thought he was crucial for us salvaging the contest against Brisbane last year against Big O in the semi final. Yes, he has been beaten in some important contests but he wasn't alone. There were some big names in the centre square against Melbourne in the GF and Freo this year.

Much is made of what he can't do but we don't really acknowledge what he can do. Not many in the league can spread from the contest like Tim, nor be as damaging around the ground. His second half against Melbourne in Round 19 is an example of what he will begin to do on a more consistent basis going forward.

We've done the hard yards developing him, now is not the time to go cold but rather embrace what he's about to become. There s very few ruckmen I would want ahead of Tim, and I hope he can show everyone that in 2023.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 08:34 PM
Is too much being made of this whole English insists on playing as our ruckman? He plays there because he's our best option. I have no issue with him being our ruckman, and he has shown that he can become elite. Admittedly his form has dropped the past two years after missing a chunk of games but that's understandable.

I thought he was crucial for us salvaging the contest against Brisbane last year against Big O in the semi final. Yes, he has been beaten in some important contests but he wasn't alone. There were some big names in the centre square against Melbourne in the GF and Freo this year.

Much is made of what he can't do but we don't really acknowledge what he can do. Not many in the league can spread from the contest like Tim, nor be as damaging around the ground. His second half against Melbourne in Round 19 is an example of what he will begin to do on a more consistent basis going forward.

We've done the hard yards developing him, now is not the time to go cold but rather embrace what he's about to become. There s very few ruckmen I would want ahead of Tim, and I hope he can show everyone that in 2023.

You've just booked yourself a session at the Yarraville Nets Swoop!

I actually love Tim as a first ruck sometimes, and want him to succeed. But too often he does get beaten by better stoppage contesting rucks, and the good teams have the rucks who do it to him/ us.

To me he would be the best forward ruck in the competition and it boggles my mind as to why he wouldn't want to be. But I'm a broken record on that....

bornadog
24-09-2022, 09:08 PM
You've just booked yourself a session at the Yarraville Nets Swoop!

I actually love Tim as a first ruck sometimes, and want him to succeed. But too often he does get beaten by better stoppage contesting rucks, and the good teams have the rucks who do it to him/ us.

To me he would be the best forward ruck in the competition and it boggles my mind as to why he wouldn't want to be. But I'm a broken record on that....

What I like about Tim is not just he can play forward, but his around the ground work, taking marks and even running and bouncing and his field kicking is pretty good. If we can get a mature ruckman that can work with him who can take the stoppage work but can also be effective around the ground, then that would be ideal. You look at Geelong and who is first or second ruck? They are a team and that is the difference.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2022, 09:16 PM
That's the point, we're looking at someone like Lobb purely because we don't need/ want a first ruck according to the footy department and Tim. Tim to the footy department and Tim is all we need, and are likely to have on the list as a first ruck.

Lobb is purely coming to us as a forward/ ruck, but one we probably think can cover up to 40-50% of ruck duties if called upon to do so.

So I agree with you, we're unlikely to entertain getting someone like Grundy and the question then turns to whether we think Lobb and Bruce is a better outcome for a crack next year over Bruce and Darcy or some other available player yet to be identified over Darcy.

To me Lobb makes perfect sense for us right now. Yes, having him for 2022 would have been awesome but we didn't, and that shouldn't mean we ignore the issue anyway.

A bit like Barry Hall. He would have been great for us when everything was going right in 2009 - but that doesn't mean we should have ignored him in 2010. If you can fix a weakness, build a contingency and make your options stronger for success at an affordable price then you should just do it.

I’m not completely anti-Lobb for that reason. 36 goals this year, who’s also played a lot of ruck minutes in the AFEL. Like you I’m price sensitive about the potential. I’m not accepting inflation in this discretionary spend.

I do wonder if there’s any dissenting or even merely challenging voices about Tim and only Tim being the answer.

jeemak
24-09-2022, 09:44 PM
I’m not completely anti-Lobb for that reason. 36 goals this year, who’s also played a lot of ruck minutes in the AFEL. Like you I’m price sensitive about the potential. I’m not accepting inflation in this discretionary spend.

I do wonder if there’s any dissenting or even merely challenging voices about Tim and only Tim being the answer.

100% there would be and that's not any different to there being dissenting voices about Dunkley, Treloar, Bont and everyone in our side who is a good player but has flaws in their games.

But that would be the same at every club, the only difference with Tim is his management went public with it and it's been all but mentioned by our coach in press conferences. So it means that while what is being said about Tim is probably par for the course, that it seems it's come from his management and our coach makes it much more telling.

Happy Days
25-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Good point.

It’s true you’re exempt from ACAB if I invite you inside my house

GVGjr
25-09-2022, 07:59 AM

Lobb is obviously a good footballer and would provide that quality chop out whenever English isn't rucking and I agree that getting him at the right price both in salary and draft pick perspective is the key.
Assuming he arrives at the kennel we will have a bit of a logjam up forward and it will be an interesting challenge for the MC to manage.

GVGjr
25-09-2022, 08:05 AM

I think so Swoop, I don't doubt it was something that was his absolute preference but he would also be very aware that there is a challenge for the club and something has to give. I'm confident he would welcome support.

The Underdog
25-09-2022, 08:37 AM
Lobb is obviously a good footballer and would provide that quality chop out whenever English isn't rucking and I agree that getting him at the right price both in salary and draft pick perspective is the key.
Assuming he arrives at the kennel we will have a bit of a logjam up forward and it will be an interesting challenge for the MC to manage.

And I think at this point we can all agree that we have huge faith in the Match Committee to make the right choices and manage things perfectly well.

Aside from this side of it, while Lobb is theoretically a good fit, I have reservations about a player with historically questionable effort levels being recruited in on what is likely his final decent contract. Prove me wrong Rory.

EasternWest
25-09-2022, 09:30 AM
It’s true you’re exempt from ACAB if I invite you inside my house

Wait am I a vampire now?

GVGjr
25-09-2022, 12:01 PM
I agree with you GVGjr, Bruce is a known quantity and he was always going to take this season just to rebound. A full preseason running with Jack Steele will lay the foundation for a strong and consistent season in 2023.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, he needs to be able to compete with quality opponents and he makes Naughton and Marra better around him.

The question is whether he regains his 2021 form and Marra continues to improve, how does Lobb fit into a functioning forward line?

His challenges when he returned this year weren't as much physical and it it was more or less his timing of leads and marking attempts.
I think this can be resolved. if he can get back to somewhere near his 2021 we will be a stronger team.
He's going to need plenty of work but I think he can regain his form.

Lobb is a very handy player but bringing him in will create a logjam for key forwards and now the MC manages that will be challenging.

Dogs 24/7
25-09-2022, 12:04 PM

Timbo doesn't have Blicavs run. Geelong are very creative with the way they set up and it's often about creating that mismatch in the back line. We don't appear to have that level of flexibility in our set-up.

EasternWest
25-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Timbo doesn't have Blicavs run. Geelong are very creative with the way they set up and it's often about creating that mismatch in the back line. We don't appear to have that level of flexibility in our set-up.

To be fair, Blicavs is a pretty unique athletic set up and a straight comparison is unfair.

Great to have you back Dogs 24/7.

bornadog
25-09-2022, 10:57 PM
To be fair, Blicavs is a pretty unique athletic set up and a straight comparison is unfair.

Great to have you back Dogs 24/7.

Exactly. We need to think out of the box and I was only trying to come up with a better solution than the current setup.

GVGjr
26-09-2022, 04:45 PM
From SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/26/this-could-be-a-win-for-fremantle-the-key-to-unlocking-lobb-trade-according/)

Rory Lobb’s manager Colin Young maintains hope his client will get to the Western Bulldogs despite Fremantle so far denying a trade request.

Lobb was one of a number of Dockers who requested a trade in the week after the club’s semi-final loss to Collingwood, but Fremantle was quick to insist that the tall forward would not be transferred.

“We had a conversation with Rory where we informed him… we wouldn’t be able to facilitate a trade,” Fremantle head of footy operations Peter Bell said at the time.

Despite Lobb also requesting a trade last year, the Dockers say he is a required player given his contract status and importance to the side, but Young is counting on Fremantle’s pursuit of Melbourne young gun Luke Jackson to allow Lobb to depart.

Jackson has requested a trade to a Western Australian club, with Fremantle tipped as his likely destination.

“I will be trying to work with Fremantle, naturally they’re going to say that (the trade is refused) because he has got one year to go, but they’ve been fully aware he was going to ask for the trade one week after the trade period last year,” Young told AFL Trade Radio’s Trade Exchange.

“We know where it sits and we’re just hoping if Jackson goes to Fremantle there’s an opportunity where Rory can help Fremantle land Jackson by way of maybe picks that can help (in a trade).

“It’s going to be great for Fremantle if they can get Jackson because he’s probably going to set them up for the next 10 years, so we’re just hoping there is an opportunity along the way where we can jump on a trade that assists Fremantle.”

Young added: “I’d like him to be (at the Western Bulldogs in 2023) and he wants to be there, we’ll just work with Fremantle to try and get it done.

“I know at this point in time they’ve said no, but we’ve all been through this a fair few times and sometimes there’s a little bit of an opportunity there.

“He’s got one year to go… this could be a win for Fremantle if they get some really good picks that help them get Jackson, so we’re hoping that’ll be the case.”

Young, of Corporate Sports Australia, also manages Lobb’s teammate Griffin Logue.

Logue has requested a trade to Fremantle and is expected to reach his preferred destination.

But Young confirmed Fremantle had advised him that the club wouldn’t let both Lobb and Logue depart given the cross-over in the duo’s attributes.

He added that the two potential trades were unlikely to coincide with each other.

2022 was Lobb’s fourth season at Fremantle and arguably his best in his nine years at the top level, with the 29-year-old booting a career-high 36 goals.

Young said Lobb’s intentions are family based.

“A myriad of reasons (for wanting to leave), but the main reason was that last year his partner was living on the east coast and at that stage, Fremantle probably wasn’t in as strong a position pushing towards a flag that they are now,” he said.

“Obviously his partner is now living in Melbourne and he’s bought a property in Melbourne based on some discussions last year that he might be playing here.

“We’ve bumped into the Bulldogs over the journey when they’ve been in town, and he wants to live in Melbourne. It’s about the postcode and finishing his career with the Western Bulldogs and starting a family over here, hopefully.”

Meanwhile, on the Dogs’ sell to Lobb, Young said: “He’s played a few more games, he’s been around a lot, so from my understanding, he’ll be the main focus point (of the forward line).

“It just frees up (Aaron Naughton) to be the second or third (tall forward) with Jamarra (Ugle-Hagan), it just frees them all up.”

Former Fremantle star Paul Hasleby recently questioned if Bulldog Josh Schache could be the key to unlocking the trade for Lobb, with the talented key forward seemingly on the outer at Whitten Oval.

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 04:51 PM
Time to start the welcome to the Bulldogs Rory Lobb thread G!

MrMahatma
26-09-2022, 07:11 PM
Naughton is a way better fwd than Lobb. And is 100% the main man next year. Lobb may be taller but Naughton is the man.

whythelongface
26-09-2022, 07:18 PM
Naughton is a way better fwd than Lobb. And is 100% the main man next year. Lobb may be taller but Naughton is the man.

Does it matter who the ‘main man’ is? It’s a team game where both can thrive to play roles that will benefit the team. I mean if Cameron and Hawkins can play in a team without being the ‘main man’ surely Lobb and Naughton can as well.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Naughton as the second forward with Lobb #1 is laughable.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-09-2022, 08:42 PM
The media speculation is still very strong that Fremantle will trade Lobb and we are in the box seat to take him
Lobb will give us a productive tall forward capable of kicking goals but also the luxury of knowing that when English is having a rest we will have a very competitive chop out to replace him.

How keen are you to get Rory Lobb to the club?

And if so, what is a reasonable pick to part with to get him?
Our recruiting compared to a Club like Geelong is highly questionable. Lobb comes to us on a highly questionable salary. Hardly in the class of Cameron Dangerfield Smith and Stengle when it comes down to quality recruiting.

hujsh
26-09-2022, 08:49 PM
Our recruiting compared to a Club like Geelong is highly questionable. Lobb comes to us on a highly questionable salary. Hardly in the class of Cameron Dangerfield Smith and Stengle when it comes down to quality recruiting.

How would you sell this club as being a better destination than Geelong or say Richmond? What do we have that will convince Cameron and Dangerfield that of all the Melbourne clubs we're the best destination for them.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2022, 08:51 PM

It’s also a matter of their volume. Other acquisitions included Dahl & Scott Selwood as a FA, but they offered ok-to-good picks for Josh Jenkins, Higgins, Jack Steven, Krueger, Ceglar, Zac Smith etc (Varcoe for Mitch Clark too). They miss a bit. But they’re seemingly a lot more active overall. The lesson might be try to be more proactive?

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 09:03 PM
How would you sell this club as being a better destination than Geelong or say Richmond? What do we have that will convince Cameron and Dangerfield that of all the Melbourne clubs we're the best destination for them.

Nothing, and that's why I guess we don't try and compete with them its pointless. Different stratosphere.

hujsh
26-09-2022, 09:04 PM
It’s also a matter of their volume. Other acquisitions included Dahl & Scott Selwood as a FA, but they offered ok-to-good picks for Josh Jenkins, Higgins, Jack Steven, Krueger, Ceglar, Zac Smith etc (Varcoe for Mitch Clark too). They miss a bit. But they’re seemingly a lot more active overall. The lesson might be try to be more proactive?

Is it maybe a luxury they have that doesn't extend to other clubs?

First they draft very well. How much of that is GFL vs other factors is hard to say. They draft well to the point that they don't need to rely on top end picks to consistently bring in AFL quality players, instead bringing high end talent from other clubs and skipping the development phase of their careers.

Second they have what I believe I might have seen described once or twice as their 'pissant toy ground' that all but guarantees a few wins each year, allowing them some buffer room if they rack up more misses than hits over a couple years.

jeemak
26-09-2022, 09:11 PM
I like how the best forward from a team that beat us in a final wanting to come to us is somehow seen as a bad thing. We deride our own position in the league, yet when someone of actual quality does want to get to us we convince ourselves we don't need him, the price is too much, or we should be aiming higher for some unicorn that isn't on the market.

If he's the first forward, or main man or the second or third isn't really relevant. He'd free up Naughton to explore more of the ground and get involved when he's quiet, he'd take pressure of JUH. He'd also provide an adequate alternative and/ or support to Sweet if Tim is out of the side which has been a relatively regular occurrence these past couple of years.

It's all upside if it can get done but for some reason we want some view of perfection get in the way of tangible and affordable improvement.

hujsh
26-09-2022, 09:22 PM
I like how the best forward from a team that beat us in a final wanting to come to us is somehow seen as a bad thing. We deride our own position in the league, yet when someone of actual quality does want to get to us we convince ourselves we don't need him, the price is too much, or we should be aiming higher for some unicorn that isn't on the market.

If he's the first forward, or main man or the second or third isn't really relevant. He'd free up Naughton to explore more of the ground and get involved when he's quiet, he'd take pressure of JUH. He'd also provide an adequate alternative and/ or support to Sweet if Tim is out of the side which has been a relatively regular occurrence these past couple of years.

It's all upside if it can get done but for some reason we want some view of perfection get in the way of tangible and affordable improvement.

If the club was serious they'd have developed the technology to clone Luke Darcy and he'd be our second ruckman now.

NGL I actually couldn't think of a better second ruck/forward for us without going back to David Hale so I figured at that point may as well clone Luke.

Is there a current player would be a better second ruck (not Grundy, I'm asking who could partner with English as the first ruck)?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-09-2022, 09:22 PM

Ha, the life of a pessimistic Dogs fan!

I like Lobb. He would be a dangerous pairing with Naughton and Marra, all 3 are very agile and most sides don't have 3 defenders capable of covering all 3. I've swayed back and forth on us getting him, but that's more to do with our ability to contend than it is him as a quality player/good fit.

What we REALLY need, if we get Lobb, is a quality crumbling small forward. I sincerely hope we draft one.

jeemak
26-09-2022, 09:23 PM
If the club was serious they'd have developed the technology to clone Luke Darcy and he'd be our second ruckman now.

NGL I actually couldn't think of a better second ruck/forward for us without going back to David Hale so I figured at that point may as well clone Luke.

Is there a current player would be a better second ruck (not Grundy, I'm asking who could partner with English as the first ruck)?

Better than Lobb?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2022, 09:23 PM
Is it maybe a luxury they have that doesn't extend to other clubs?

First they draft very well. How much of that is GFL vs other factors is hard to say. They draft well to the point that they don't need to rely on top end picks to consistently bring in AFL quality players, instead bringing high end talent from other clubs and skipping the development phase of their careers.

Second they have what I believe I might have seen described once or twice as their 'pissant toy ground' that all but guarantees a few wins each year, allowing them some buffer room if they rack up more misses than hits over a couple years.

I agree, at some point they became a ‘destination club’. And their mythology seems to keep growing year on year. I don’t know how we really ever become like they are. After 2016 our big signing was a washed up Trav Cloke while we lost some handy players. After finals and then a GF last year our big signing was Tim O’Brien, while average players like Jon Ceglar barely humoured our pitch. Yes we needed points for Darcy.

But once upon a time they were the ‘hand baggers’ who choked in every Grand Final. They built this thing off a low base. But as you say, they draft very well as the spine to their strategy and are very active. They trade out very well too, often getting very good trades (see Tim Kelly especially). Location and untapped government welfare for their home ground helps them undoubtedly and it shits me to tears, along with seeing them win it again. If we could get their recipe for going from ‘handbaggers’ to ‘destination club’ I’d be very happy.

hujsh
26-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Better than Lobb?

Yes. Better second ruck and/or a better second ruck in pairing with English.

MrMahatma
26-09-2022, 09:25 PM
Does it matter who the ‘main man’ is? It’s a team game where both can thrive to play roles that will benefit the team. I mean if Cameron and Hawkins can play in a team without being the ‘main man’ surely Lobb and Naughton can as well.

It doesn’t “matter” who is. It makes no difference. It’s just that Naughton is.

jeemak
26-09-2022, 09:29 PM
I agree, at some point they became a ‘destination club’. And their mythology seems to keep growing year on year. I don’t know how we really ever become like they are. After 2016 our big signing was a washed up Trav Cloke while we lost some handy players. After finals and then a GF last year our big signing was Tim O’Brien, while average players like Jon Ceglar barely humoured our pitch. Yes we needed points for Darcy.

But once upon a time they were the ‘hand baggers’ who choked in every Grand Final. They built this thing off a low base. But as you say, they draft very well as the spine to their strategy and are very active. They trade out very well too, often getting very good trades (see Tim Kelly especially). Location and untapped government welfare for their home ground helps them undoubtedly and it shits me to tears, along with seeing them win it again. If we could get their recipe for going from ‘handbaggers’ to ‘destination club’ I’d be very happy.

I reckon having the period between 2005-2011 they did with a substantial amount of media cheer leaders in their corner has done plenty for them.

Additionally, they get a fierce home ground advantage and a god given right to play in the big games at the MCG year on year whilst being the darlings of a hick town with a fairly substantial population. Not taking anything away from how well they're managed, but all of those things count.

jeemak
26-09-2022, 09:30 PM
Yes. Better second ruck and/or a better second ruck in pairing with English.

Not that I can think of.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2022, 09:32 PM

From what I can see from only stats, he took the best defender and still kicked 36. If Naughton has the best defender, and forward entries are as good as Freo’s, in theory Lobb has more upside than this year.

Or they man up Lobb leaving Naughton on a lesser defender. Than whatever left for Bruce/Marra/Darcy. Great, it’s a team sport. As long as they kick straight, who cares who kicks them.

Genuine crumbing small forward/s with such height seems the equal priority.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2022, 09:34 PM
I reckon having the period between 2005-2011 they did with a substantial amount of media cheer leaders in their corner has done plenty for them.

Additionally, they get a fierce home ground advantage and a god given right to play in the big games at the MCG year on year whilst being the darlings of a hick town with a fairly substantial population. Not taking anything away from how well they're managed, but all of those things count.

True that.

whythelongface
26-09-2022, 09:49 PM
It doesn’t “matter” who is. It makes no difference. It’s just that Naughton is.

But you don’t need a ‘main man’. As Jeemak has highlighted extremely well the point of Lobb is that he is a quality tall that provides that additional target. This frees up Naughton as well as Marra. This was tried with Bruce late in the season but obviously didn’t work. We don’t actually need a main man. We need three quality talls as our main targets with some quality small to feed off these three.

bornadog
26-09-2022, 10:16 PM

Yet it took them 11 years (since last one) to win a GF.

We have recruited well and have some real talent. just need to plug some holes and we can win another one.

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 10:17 PM
Yet it took them 11 years (since last one) to win a GF.

We have recruited well and have some real talent. just need to plug some holes and we can win another one.

And stay competitive.

A 2021 Dogs side would give this year a big shake.

bornadog
26-09-2022, 10:19 PM
And stay competitive.

A 2021 Dogs side would give this year a big shake.

You can stay competitive, but you still need to win the GF.

MrMahatma
26-09-2022, 10:27 PM
But you don’t need a ‘main man’. As Jeemak has highlighted extremely well the point of Lobb is that he is a quality tall that provides that additional target. This frees up Naughton as well as Marra. This was tried with Bruce late in the season but obviously didn’t work. We don’t actually need a main man. We need three quality talls as our main targets with some quality small to feed off these three.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing.

I think Naughton is a better fwd and thus, counter Lobb’s agent’s comments that Lobb would be “the main man”.

Nothing I’ve said, nor anyone I believe has said, is suggesting we want only “one” key fwd. So, highlighting that Lobb is an additional target, or he frees up other guys is like… no kidding?

I just think Naughton is the main man, the top dog. The big cheese/kahuna.

jeemak
26-09-2022, 10:40 PM
I’m not sure what you’re arguing.

I think Naughton is a better fwd and thus, counter Lobb’s agent’s comments that Lobb would be “the main man”.

Nothing I’ve said, nor anyone I believe has said, is suggesting we want only “one” key fwd. So, highlighting that Lobb is an additional target, or he frees up other guys is like… no kidding?

I just think Naughton is the main man, the top dog. The big cheese/kahuna.

I actually agree with you, but in honesty without the help of an in form Bruce, and English or possibly in the future a Lobb he is still without elements within his game that may develop, but haven't yet, to break through in some games and really stand on his own two feet. He needs help.

A player agent talking up his player as the main focal point is just part and parcel of trying to position that player to get the best possible pick for him and get the deal done. He could have easily said Lobb would be recruited as the anchor to stay at home and help out in the ruck and let Naughton run free and that would have been fine too - but he's a player manager saying player manager things.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 09:37 AM
There is a fair bit if speculation that the AFL will ditch the sub rule for next season.
Would this mean clubs could potentially play 2 ruckman rather than 1 and a back-up?

I think Lobb's main appeal is that he provides a decent back up for when English needs a spell but if we could play English and Sweet does that minimise his appeal for us?

Swoop
28-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Bevo has been outspoken about this in the past. He thinks it would be difficult to rotate 5 players off the bench so it would be likely that he's happy to carry the fifth as a genuine ruck.

Does that make someone like Soldo more appealing?

bornadog
28-09-2022, 09:47 AM
There is a fair bit if speculation that the AFL will ditch the sub rule for next season.
Would this mean clubs could potentially play 2 ruckman rather than 1 and a back-up?

I think Lobb's main appeal is that he provides a decent back up for when English needs a spell but if we could play English and Sweet does that minimise his appeal for us?

Why would the sub rule effect the ruck situation?

Besides, Sweet at this stage is only good at tapouts, and nothing else.

Swoop
28-09-2022, 09:53 AM
The argument currently being made is that there should be 5 players available on the bench for each club to manage as they see fit. The extra player allows cover for injuries or for tactical purposes.

I know Bevo has stated it would be difficult managing 5 players so he may be more likely to carry a tall which would alleviate the need to have a ruckman that can also play other positions. If that's the case, does the need for Lobb diminish?

bornadog
28-09-2022, 10:18 AM
The argument currently being made is that there should be 5 players available on the bench for each club to manage as they see fit. The extra player allows cover for injuries or for tactical purposes.

I know Bevo has stated it would be difficult managing 5 players so he may be more likely to carry a tall which would alleviate the need to have a ruckman that can also play other positions. If that's the case, does the need for Lobb diminish?

We don't have any other ruckman at that level. What happens if Tim has an injury again?

Swoop
28-09-2022, 10:21 AM
Stef Martin...

bornadog
28-09-2022, 10:37 AM
Stef Martin...

Cooked

chef
28-09-2022, 10:43 AM
Stef Martin...

May as well give Lade a list spot too haha

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 12:08 PM
May as well give Lade a list spot too haha

Would help take pressure off the off field soft salary cap! We could get an extra assistant coach!

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:23 PM
Why would the sub rule effect the ruck situation?

Besides, Sweet at this stage is only good at tapouts, and nothing else.

Instead of 4 players on the bench and a medical sub the speculation is that there will just be 5 players. No increase of interchanges though from what I understand.
I'm asking the question if that will mean a team like ours could now play 2 ruck man instead of 1 and a chop out option.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:25 PM

Yes, I'm wondering if that will come into our planning.
Before the trade period clubs will need to know the direction of the sub or 5 man IC bench

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Instead of 4 players on the bench and a medical sub the speculation is that there will just be 5 players. No increase of interchanges though from what I understand.
I'm asking the question if that will mean a team like ours could now play 2 ruck man instead of 1 and a chop out option.

With 5 on the bench I don't see why not.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 02:32 PM
Yes, I'm wondering if that will come into our planning.
Before the trade period clubs will need to know the direction of the sub or 5 man IC bench

I wonder if the extra tall is a Leigh Brown ‘Jack if tall trades’ type to take some ruck minutes, and offer coverage in rotations or injury insurance for a KPD or KPF. Someone like a late 2021 version of Schache.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:34 PM
I wonder if the extra tall is a Leigh Brown ‘Jack if tall trades’ type to take some ruck minutes, and offer coverage in rotations or injury insurance for a KPD or KPF. Someone like a late 2021 version of Schache.

I was thinking of a Sweet as a pure ruckman or a Schache play a bit everywhere type.

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 02:37 PM
I was thinking of a Sweet as a pure ruckman or a Schache play a bit everywhere type.

I'll be amazed if Schache is with us next year.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:42 PM
I'll be amazed if Schache is with us next year.

Same here, Schache type doesn't necessarily mean Schache.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 02:46 PM

I know what you are saying, but why can't we do the same now with 4 players?

At the end of the day, English needs to rest and someone is needed to replace him during that time. What am I missing?

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 02:50 PM

Yep. A tall that is competent enough to take minutes while English, Naughton or Keath is taking a breather, or injured in game. No world beater. Even like late 2021 Lewis Young.

If Darcy isn’t in the starting 18, even playing him off the bench across the ground as needed. You can then roll the dice to bring him on and plug a hole down back (not 6-6-6 start) or throw him forward and go insanely tall as a change up strategy if required.

Five smalls on the bench doesn’t make a heap of sense. The extra flexibility in height as you rightfully point out G could be something of strategic importance.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 02:53 PM
Yep. A tall that is competent enough to take minutes while English, Naughton or Keath is taking a breather, or injured in game.

That is why we are targeting Rory. We don't have any one that can do it.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:54 PM
I know what you are saying, but why can't we do the same now with 4 players?

At the end of the day, English needs to rest and someone is needed to replace him during that time. What am I missing?

I'm really not sure what I'm missing.
In the past the sub has typically been a versatile midfield type. Depending on the change to a 5 man bench clubs like us might now need to consider how they want to structure the 5th player.
Do you want him to be a Sweet pure ruck man type or a jack of all trades type or do they just want to add another runner?
Lobb is forward who is very handy in the ruck so is that still the best fit for us or would a player like Sweet come into the decision making.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 02:55 PM
I'm really not sure what I'm missing.
In the past the sub has typically been a versatile midfield type. Depending on the change to a 5 man bench clubs like us might now need to consider how they want to structure the 5th player.
Do you want him to be a Sweet pure ruck man type or a jack of all trades type or do they just want to add another runner?
Lobb is forward who is very handy in the ruck so is that still the best fit for us or would a player like Sweet come into the decision making.

Sweet is not good enough at this stage.

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 02:59 PM
Sweet is not good enough at this stage.

He wasn't good enough 12 months back and yet we put our faith in Martin as the back up.
If Sweet only has to ruck for 50% that might assist him.

Lobb is not the answer as the 2nd ruck man ie a full time ruck man.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 03:10 PM
He wasn't good enough 12 months back and yet we put our faith in Martin as the back up.
If Sweet only has to ruck for 50% that might assist him.

Lobb is not the answer as the 2nd ruck man ie a full time ruck man.

Martin is a proven ruckman, albeit passed it

Who says we need a 2nd full time ruckman on the ground

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 03:11 PM
Martin is a proven ruckman, albeit passed it

Who says we need a 2nd full time ruckman on the ground

Certainly not you.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 03:13 PM
Certainly not you.

You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you

The Bulldogs Bite
28-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Certainly not you.

You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you

Take it to the nets!

Bulldog4life
28-09-2022, 03:25 PM
Take it to the nets!

This is one I'd pay to see.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 03:35 PM
This is one I'd pay to see.

Don't know why

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 04:02 PM

Yep. A tall that is competent enough to take minutes while English, Naughton or Keath is taking a break.

Oh sure, but to be honest I'm done with "Schache types" (as much as I wish Josh could make it) and if we're talking about filling that spot then let's do it at least with a "Lobb type" who's proven he can actually play and actually play that role.

I wonder if Rory Lobb is available? He seems a Lobb type.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 04:07 PM
Oh sure, but to be honest I'm done with "Schache types" (as much as I wish Josh could make it) and if we're talking about filling that spot then let's do it at least with a "Lobb type" who's proven he can actually play and actually play that role.

I wonder if Rory Lobb is available? He seems a Lobb type.

I’d have Lobb in the starting 18 if he gets here.

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 04:10 PM
I’d have Lobb in the starting 18 if he gets here.

Me too probably, but in place of whom?

hujsh
28-09-2022, 04:13 PM

Bruce or Darcy.

If they can force Lobb or JUH out then good for them.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 04:16 PM
Bruce or Darcy.

This.

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 04:19 PM
Bruce or Darcy.

Good point really. Darcy the obvious candidate for mine. Bruce who knows what we'll get.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2022, 04:29 PM
Good point really. Darcy the obvious candidate for mine. Bruce who knows what we'll get.

The old taller utility like Leigh Brown. Bruce started as a KP defender, if he still knows how to do the job, and his mobility isn’t completely shot he might be the closest thing I can actually think of. Collingwood won a flag with Brown toiling away as a tall utility right across the ground. Everything old is new again?

Grantysghost
28-09-2022, 04:36 PM

Dunkley

bornadog
28-09-2022, 04:39 PM
Dunkley

Beautiful

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 04:43 PM
Dunkley
https://i.postimg.cc/c4J0GsHq/you-are-the-man-jim-carrey.gif (https://postimages.org/)

hujsh
28-09-2022, 04:44 PM
JUH to finally get those midfield minutes

kruder
01-10-2022, 09:38 AM
I wonder if one day we could use JUH more like Jeremy Cameron, the cats have done a brilliant job in utilising his talents rather than kick it long to him and hope for the best.

Bulldog4life
01-10-2022, 09:39 AM
I wonder if one day we could use JUH more like Jeremy Cameron, the cats have done a brilliant job in utilising his talents rather than kick it long to him and hope for the best.

Could happen after a few more seasons of building up his tank.

Axe Man
03-10-2022, 11:37 AM
Freo still talking tough on Lobb

Dockers stand firm on Lobb (https://www.afl.com.au/news/853648/trade-talk-live-freo-holds-firm-on-lobb-blue-seeks-trade-grundy-latest)

Fremantle's head of list management and player personnel, David Walls, has faced the media to pour cold water on any hopes the Western Bulldogs might have of luring Rory Lobb to Victoria.

"We've had some conversations but we've got no intention of trading Rory," Walls said.

"A 206cm key forward who kicks two goals a game and can go through the ruck, they're very hard to find. We expect Rory to be with us next year. He's a professional, and he'll be able to come back and work with us and we'll support him to have a repeat of the season he had this year."

Walls said Lobb had shown after his failed request to move to GWS last year that he was able to put disappointment aside and play good football with the Dockers.

Walls flagged Fremantle's interest in Gold Coast pair Josh Corbett and Jeremy Sharp, but said the Corbett deal would have no bearing on Lobb's future.

"I can't see how Rory won't be playing for Fremantle next year," he said.

Asked what would tempt Fremantle to deal Lobb to the Bulldogs, Walls set the bar high.

"Naughts (Aaron Naughton) and Bont (skipper Marcus Bontempelli)," he said with a laugh.

kruder
03-10-2022, 01:02 PM
Freo can be as firm as they like, we will not be overpaying on this one because of the big Unicorn in the room. Sam Darcy :)

Power will only do this one if the price is right make no mistake.

Happy Days
03-10-2022, 01:07 PM
I like Lobb as a player, and think he will make us better next year, but I’m not losing sleep if we miss him either.

We all know the move we should be making instead.

Grantysghost
03-10-2022, 01:36 PM
I like Lobb as a player, and think he will make us better next year, but I’m not losing sleep if we miss him either.

We all know the move we should be making instead.

This is why I really really hope we had more irons in the fire.

Happy Days
03-10-2022, 01:38 PM

Pretty much. 2020 was an incredible feat of negotiation but at what point does Power get a rep for sitting on his hands.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2022, 02:02 PM
Pretty much. 2020 was an incredible feat of negotiation but at what point does Power get a rep for sitting on his hands.

Power wouldn't have the final say on how we balance the list and who we target. He's largely responsible for leading the discussions and negotiations both internally and then externally, but there would be a collective that would need to tick off on who we do/don't go after so I don't think it's correct to blame him for that.

Our last list manager literally left because he was overruled.

GVGjr
03-10-2022, 02:14 PM

I'd be confident that Power has cast a wide net. Finding a suitable replacement won't be easy though.

Mofra
03-10-2022, 02:24 PM
I'd be confident that Power has cast a wide net. Finding a suitable replacement won't be easy though.
Last year we had no Soldo or Payne replacement when those deals didn't pan out. I'm not sure there are too many 'gettable' types in the positions we're looking for

GVGjr
03-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Last year we had no Soldo or Payne replacement when those deals didn't pan out. I'm not sure there are too many 'gettable' types in the positions we're looking for

Both of them would have been good additions. Hopefully Power has some irons in the fire.

jeemak
03-10-2022, 03:14 PM
Power wouldn't have the final say on how we balance the list and who we target. He's largely responsible for leading the discussions and negotiations both internally and then externally, but there would be a collective that would need to tick off on who we do/don't go after so I don't think it's correct to blame him for that.

Our last list manager literally left because he was overruled.

Is it unusual for list managers to be overruled regularly by whoever else is also on the panel and whoever has to actually play the players being selected?

It's a genuine question, I don't know the answer to it.

From what I recall it was the selection of Gowers at the 2017 rookie draft that's reported to have done it, but it wouldn't or couldn't have just been this incident. I wonder if it still happens, but the money makes it more tolerable.

Mofra
03-10-2022, 03:20 PM
From what I recall it was the selection of Gowers at the 2017 rookie draft that's reported to have done it, but it wouldn't or couldn't have just been this incident. I wonder if it still happens, but the money makes it more tolerable.
We went for Clay Smith over Hayden Crozier at B-Mac's insistence, or at least that's the story

jeemak
03-10-2022, 03:26 PM
We went for Clay Smith over Hayden Crozier at B-Mac's insistence, or at least that's the story

I heard that one as well.

azabob
03-10-2022, 03:30 PM
Is it unusual for list managers to be overruled regularly by whoever else is also on the panel and whoever has to actually play the players being selected?

I heard Caleb Daniel say on a podcast he believes Bevo pushed for him to be drafted. Unsure if actual timing fits the narrative though as Bevo hadn't even coached a senior game when Daniel was drafted. .

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2022, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't think it's unusual. It would happen at every club to varying degrees.

I actually agree with it. For important club based decisions, not any one figure should be solely responsible BUT clearly the head Coach should have a big say. The Head Coach is the one that ultimately settles on a gameplan and then needs/wants players who are going to help bring that gameplan to fruition, so it only makes sense they recruit accordingly.

To use a specific example, Power would have identified Lobb and taken that to the 'selection panel' who then tick it off. It's then Power's role to satisfy Freo, which looks like being a hard task. His 'success' can be judged on this, rather than whether or not we're interested/go after Grundy.

jeemak
03-10-2022, 04:07 PM
I heard Caleb Daniel say on a podcast he believes Bevo pushed for him to be drafted. Unsure if actual timing fits the narrative though as Bevo hadn't even coached a senior game when Daniel was drafted. .

It fits in with what apparently happened with Smith and Bmac though, I guess. New coach comes in and makes a call based on who he thinks can take the club forward.

Rocket Science
03-10-2022, 06:41 PM
I'm of the view Lobb doesn't move the needle for us nearly enough, but the Freo posturing reads as just that. He's absolutely getting dealt, this is simply role playing over final value.

You don't hit the airwaves lauding your 'wantaway' player's attributes if you have zero interest in parting with them.

Grantysghost
03-10-2022, 06:45 PM
I'm of the view Lobb doesn't move the needle for us nearly enough, but the Freo posturing reads as just that. He's absolutely getting dealt, this is simply role playing over final value.

You don't hit the airwaves lauding your 'wantaway' player's attributes if you have zero interest in parting with them.

Didn't we do that with Dunkley?

Stevo
03-10-2022, 07:00 PM

I'm hearing we are still somewhat confident a deal will be done. Fremantle will accept a second and a third round pick for him.

EasternWest
03-10-2022, 08:12 PM
I'm hearing we are still somewhat confident a deal will be done. Fremantle will accept a second and a third round pick for him.

Yeah I don't buy any if the wharrgarrbl over it. He wants out and they will try to get their best result by talking 'ardball.

Then it'll all fizzle out late on the last day for what you've said I reckon, Stevo.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2022, 09:05 PM
As an aside, if Freo committed to Lobb and his manager they would trade him this year, and as a result his missus moved to Melbourne after buying a house (at peak price) and then backtracked in the promise. I’d have already burnt my bridges publicly with Freo. Freo haven’t denied that promise was made, just now they don’t want to.

I wonder what that does for other players at Freo, or players thinking of request a trade to Freo, if their word doesn’t mean anything. Or perceived as meaningless through this public commentary?

G-Mo77
04-10-2022, 04:37 AM
Yeah I don't buy any if the wharrgarrbl over it. He wants out and they will try to get their best result by talking 'ardball.

Then it'll all fizzle out late on the last day for what you've said I reckon, Stevo.

Agree or we may just send them Bont and Naughton for him.

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 09:33 AM
WILL RORY LOBB GET TO THE WESTERN BULLDOGS? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-hq/afl-trades-2022-the-eight-big-questions-of-this-years-exchange-period/news-story/02daf6833b39542af1b477e0d30e1690)

Fremantle has stated outright it won’t be trading Lobb, who the Dogs committed to long before Sam Darcy stated his case as a 2023 weapon of choice.

So what it comes down to is whether the Dockers need a Dogs draft pick to broker the Luke Jackson deal, and how much do the Dogs actually want Lobb?

Given Melbourne wants a pick at 7 or better and a future first – or two top-10 picks – for Jackson, the Dockers have plenty on their plate trying to assemble that suite of picks.

They might only get the Liam Jones compo pick in the third round for Acres, they might only get a future second-rounder for Griffin Logue.

Surely the Roos would be prepared to hand over the future second and third-rounders they secured in their special assistance package for both Logue and Darcy Tucker.

But Fremantle also wants Gold Coast’s Jeremy Sharp as the wingman to replace Acres, so it might eventually need the Dogs’ pick.

The unanswered question is whether a Bulldogs side which has lost Josh Dunkley’s 18 goals and could get multiple picks for him from the Lions is prepared to offer more than its current second-rounder at pick 30.

If they think they have enough forward cover, letting Lobb go might be as easy as standing on their digs with the current offer.

Mofra
04-10-2022, 09:37 AM
But Fremantle also wants Gold Coast’s Jeremy Sharp as the wingman to replace Acres, so it might eventually need the Dogs’ pick.
Hmmmm..... 3 team deal potential?

GVGjr
04-10-2022, 02:27 PM
With Freo's position of being a firm no at this stage about trading Lobb how long should we wait to see if that stance softens at all?
Do we see it right through to the deadline end or do we put a stop watch on it so that we might be able to get involved in other deals?

Given we have committed to Lobb and that we would treat that commitment seriously I think we will hold out as long as we can but there will have to come a time when it's deal or no deal.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 02:30 PM
With Freo's position of being a firm no at this stage about trading Lobb how long should we wait to see if that stance softens at all?
Do we see it right through to the deadline end or do we put a stop watch on it so that we might be able to get involved in other deals?

Given we have committed to Lobb and that we would treat that commitment seriously I think we will hold out as long as we can but there will have to come a time when it's deal or no deal.

Leave an open offer for them accept up to trade time. I.e.Pick 30 and future 3rd.

Then move on. They will accept it or not. No extra effort will change the end result.

G-Mo77
04-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Leave an open offer for them accept up to trade time. I.e.Pick 30 and future 3rd.

Then move on. They will accept it or not. No extra effort will change the end result.

This, no point in going back and forth, put best offer there and leave it for them to decide later. I think they're bluffing personally.

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Freo haven't traded Meek to the hawks yet and won't if Lobb leaves. Whilst Meek remains there is still life in a potential Lobb deal.

GVGjr
04-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Assuming Freo land Josh Corbett and Jeremy Sharp from Gold Coast then Luke Jackson from Melbourne I think their position with Rory Lobb might soften.

Dancin' Douggy
04-10-2022, 06:16 PM
I’m really hoping this one falls over. Has a touch of the Kingsley Hunter’s about it.

Axe Man
05-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Rory Lobb’s manager hits out as Freo dig in (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-live-all-australian-ruckman-and-brownlow-medallist-set-for-moves-after-late-breakthrough-c-8448528?utm_campaign=liveblog&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=clipboard&tid=1664924864883&fbclid=IwAR02_n3NB68J79NdERpAyEV-RXGP5UC_oDQx22pEqWczRXNXwEheGuwaR6o#3437)

Fremantle are showing no signs of letting up on blocking Rory Lobb’s desired move to the Western Bulldogs - and the footballer has similarly dug his heels in.

Lobb, under contract with the Dockers for 2023, was so intent on switching clubs this year he bought a house in South Yarra that settled for $1.85m in August.

His manager Colin Young told 7NEWS Melbourne’s Tom Browne on Tuesday the plans stemmed from firm comments after last year’s trade period, with more recent public remarks by Freo now raising eyebrows.

“He’s obviously frustrated and disappointed that the discussions have been made through the media about where he sits at Freo, when he thought there probably would be a trade happening this year after discussions after trade period last year,” Young said.

“That’s probably why he bought the house, thinking that a trade would happen.”

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 12:51 PM
Rory Lobb’s manager hits out as Freo dig in (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-live-all-australian-ruckman-and-brownlow-medallist-set-for-moves-after-late-breakthrough-c-8448528?utm_campaign=liveblog&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=clipboard&tid=1664924864883&fbclid=IwAR02_n3NB68J79NdERpAyEV-RXGP5UC_oDQx22pEqWczRXNXwEheGuwaR6o#3437)

Fremantle are showing no signs of letting up on blocking Rory Lobb’s desired move to the Western Bulldogs - and the footballer has similarly dug his heels in.

Lobb, under contract with the Dockers for 2023, was so intent on switching clubs this year he bought a house in South Yarra that settled for $1.85m in August.

His manager Colin Young told 7NEWS Melbourne’s Tom Browne on Tuesday the plans stemmed from firm comments after last year’s trade period, with more recent public remarks by Freo now raising eyebrows.

“He’s obviously frustrated and disappointed that the discussions have been made through the media about where he sits at Freo, when he thought there probably would be a trade happening this year after discussions after trade period last year,” Young said.

Does anyone know Lobb? Is he a bit thick?

Axe Man
05-10-2022, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know Lobb? Is he a bit thick?

https://i.postimg.cc/yYGNP1VQ/mcfly.gif (https://postimages.org/)

EasternWest
05-10-2022, 01:04 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/yYGNP1VQ/mcfly.gif (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/44hSb9Zb/homer-simpson.gif (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 01:08 PM

If Young and his team weren't checking in with Freo during this season to gauge this then they've done Lobb a disservice.
There is still a fair chance this deal will get done and this is just more posturing to get a better return from us.

bornadog
05-10-2022, 01:14 PM
Acres on Lobb: “The conversations he had with them, I feel like he was really ready to move and I suppose he thought Fremantle were on the same page as him, that he would be traded to Victoria.” “He has the house and his partner is living there. I hope for his sake he gets the trade done. I know he is desperate to get to Victoria. I feel for the guy, but he is contracted.”

Swoop
05-10-2022, 05:28 PM
I believe Freo's stance won't change until they have secured Jackson.

GVGjr
05-10-2022, 05:36 PM
I believe Freo's stance won't change until they have secured Jackson.

Good call Swoop, lets see how committed they are once they have to cough up for Jackson.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 08:11 AM
Just reading that Freo's offer to Blake Acres was 180K and this was due to salary cap pressures.
We have to be a bit more confident that the Lobb deal could get done given it's speculated he's on 750K next season.

G-Mo77
06-10-2022, 08:24 AM
Just reading that Freo's offer to Blake Acres was 180K and this was due to salary cap pressures.
We have to be a bit more confident that the Lobb deal could get done given it's speculated he's on 750K next season.

Talking with some people who are Freo supporters a few weeks back say that it's a front ended deal and his last 2 years were on the lower scale. If that is correct I doubt it would be 750k

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 08:49 AM

180k! That's insulting for the year he had.

They've moved on 3 players now might be enough to keep Lobb.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 09:15 AM

Wow.

That's not quite Collingwood levels of incompetence, but it's poor management of your list (which honestly isn't that good) to need to offer Acres 180K and lose two other senior players for next to nothing.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 09:30 AM
Wow.

That's not quite Collingwood levels of incompetence, but it's poor management of your list (which honestly isn't that good) to need to offer Acres 180K and lose two other senior players for next to nothing.

I'm confident it's not incompetence just that things are tight and they believe they can cover him with other players.
I don't agree with this approach but Carlton offered Acres twice the amount and a 3 year deal and Freo chose not to match it.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2022, 09:36 AM
I'm confident it's not incompetence just that things are tight and they believe they can cover him with other players.
I don't agree with this approach but Carlton offered Acres twice the amount and a 3 year deal and Freo chose not to match it.

For mine it says they clearly overpay their top end too much, and more specifically, what they are going to pay Jackson is beyond his actual worth.

soupman
06-10-2022, 12:41 PM
Also even on twice that much the offer we had to beat was $360K at Carlton and a future third round pick in a position we have no clear AFL level players in and are discussing trying to convert Schache into?

I really hope we at least had a go.

Axe Man
06-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Does Freo bringing in Corbett from Gold Coast help ever so slightly? Different players but more forward depth. Obviously we need the Jackson domino to fall, but maybe there is still a chance.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 01:09 PM
Does Freo bringing in Corbett from Gold Coast help ever so slightly? Different players but more forward depth. Obviously we need the Jackson domino to fall, but maybe there is still a chance.

I think it might factor into their thinking. Not sure if it's enough to get the conversations flowing though.

GVGjr
06-10-2022, 10:32 PM
I saw a news report that we had offered pick 30 for Lobb but instead of a refusal they said they wanted something in the 15 to 22 range. I assume that is to help satisfy Melbourne. Need to hold firm on this one as well.

If we trade 30 and something else much later for Brisbane's pick 21 we could probably get this deal over the line.

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino
·
2h
The Rory Lobb deal to @westernbulldogs is yet to develop.

Current offer of pick 30 from the Dogs has been rejected by @freodockers - if that remains the offer, Lobb would remain at Freo.

Dockers likely to command a pick in the 15-22 range for their contracted forward.

bornadog
06-10-2022, 10:50 PM
I saw a news report that we had offered pick 30 for Lobb but instead of a refusal they said they wanted something in the 15 to 22 range. I assume that is to help satisfy Melbourne. Need to hold firm on this one as well.

If we trade 30 and something else much later for Brisbane's pick 21 we could probably get this deal over the line.

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino
·
2h

Current offer of pick 30 from the Dogs has been rejected by @freodockers - if that remains the offer, Lobb would remain at Freo.

Dockers likely to command a pick in the 15-22 range for their contracted forward.

BY rejecting 30 and talking about 15 to 21 means they will trade at the right price

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 11:01 PM

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino
·
2h

If 21 is the clincher, then we should do it.

Pick 21 = 878 DP’s into Pick 30 (Brisbane -249 DPs)
Pick 56 into out Pick 39 (Brisbane + 252 DP’s plus Pick 69 for 49 DP’s = Brisbane +52 Dp’s)

Swap our 30 & 39 - for - 21 & 56

Dogs: 11, 21, 56

- Keep 11
- Lobb (Pick 21 & Future 4th - for - Lobb & Future 4th tied to North (upgrading our future 4th))
- Jones
- Player (Rayner, Lohmann etc, holding first round value)
- Hunter pick?
- Pick 56

- Future First
- Future 4th upgrade above from Freo
= 2023 First x 2, Second, Third, Fourth (North as good as a late third rounder)

Brisbane help us get Lobb while getting 52 more DP’s. Future First. Player of First Round Value. Everyone walks away with something.

Edit:

Brisbane have all their draft points needs covered.
By burning so many mix round picks, the downgrade from Pick 39 to 56 will likely mean the pick is a little bit higher for us to use. So the difference isn’t as great.

hujsh
06-10-2022, 11:05 PM
21 is overs for a forward whose career best season was kicking 36 goals and who is now 29 years old. Ruck ability fills a need and makes him more valuable than just the goals but... it's overs by a fair way. 30 is marginally over TBH but once bids and stuff come in it's probably about right.

Grantysghost
06-10-2022, 11:08 PM
21 is a little high, but you have to pay so do it I say.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2022, 11:09 PM
21 is overs for a forward whose career best season was kicking 36 goals and who is now 29 years old. Ruck ability fills a need and makes him more valuable than just the goals but... it's overs by a fair way. 30 is marginally over TBH but once bids and stuff come in it's probably about right.

Perhaps but if that’s the price this year, they can give a little next year since they’re holding a heap of picks. They’ve got North 4th next year, I’d want that swapped at a minimum. I’d ask for the 3rd, but settle for the 4th. That would begin to balance things out.

But if they need it for Jackson, and this Lobb and we can get it for a points trade effectively, then I’d do it with something back next year.

Happy Days
07-10-2022, 12:33 PM
30 is fair. 21 is too much.

Also what happened to not wanting to trade him?

EasternWest
07-10-2022, 12:34 PM
30 is fair. 21 is too much.

Also what happened to not wanting to trade him?

Almost like it was a total load of crap

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2022, 12:55 PM
How's everyone's thoughts on Lobb now?

For me it is still dependent on price, but the fact we've got Jones (30+ y.o) suggests we're aiming to contend.

If we could nab Lobb/Rayner, I'm prepared to overpay for Lobb. If all we get are speculative picks for Dunkley, then I don't think we've improved enough to consider ourselves a contender (potentially also losing Hunter) and I'd rather not bother with Lobb.

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 12:59 PM

For me it is still dependent on price, but the fact we've got Jones (30+ y.o) suggests we're aiming to contend.

If we could nab Lobb/Rayner, I'm prepared to overpay for Lobb. If all we get are speculative picks for Dunkley, then I don't think we've improved enough to consider ourselves a contender (potentially also losing Hunter) and I'd rather not bother with Lobb.

I don't think it's going to add too much.

We have other areas that need work.

Don't understand what our strategy is at this point.

But Sam hasn't let us down so far.

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 01:01 PM

Nothing has changed with Lobb from my perspective but we will likely overpay for his services. I'm not sure we need him but we have committed to him.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Good question, and even better observation.

If there’s three mature players coming in, and we believe the premiership window is open next year. I would put the Brisbane future first on the table for another good player (in position of need). Try to bring in 4 best 22 players while holding 2022 & 2023 first rounders. We have the trade capital and some cap space. If we are contending then let’s be brave while holding top picks for two years to bring in fresh top talent.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2022, 02:19 PM
Good question, and even better observation.

If there’s three mature players coming in, and we believe the premiership window is open next year. I would put the Brisbane future first on the table for another good player (in position of need). Try to bring in 4 best 22 players while holding 2022 & 2023 first rounders. We have the trade capital and some cap space. If we are contending then let’s be brave while holding top picks for two years to bring in fresh top talent.

Our best players will be in their most productive years over next 5 years and the team is in the window so recruiting mature players is a proven path in this window. I agree recruit rather than draft now.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Our best players will be in their most productive years over next 5 years and the team is in the window so recruiting mature players is a proven path in this window. I agree recruit rather than draft now.

Dunkley leaving for something like Rayner (or to a lesser extent Lohmann) and a Future First rounder means we can do both' trade for the now and still invest in the future. Keep our own 2022 and 2023 First Rounders for the best kid we can get, while putting into the market first (future), second and third rounders for the right players of need. A semi-decent Dunkley deal is going to be a great opportunity for the short, medium and long term if we play our cards right.

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 02:53 PM
Dunkley leaving for something like Rayner (or to a lesser extent Lohmann) and a Future First rounder means we can do both' trade for the now and still invest in the future. Keep our own 2022 and 2023 First Rounders for the best kid we can get, while putting into the market first (future), second and third rounders for the right players of need. A semi-decent Dunkley deal is going to be a great opportunity for the short, medium and long term if we play our cards right.

Rayner was a #1 pick it would just be a straight swap I reckon BT.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Rayner was a #1 pick it would just be a straight swap I reckon BT.

Wait and see. Rayner is worth about $450,000, while Dunkley with worth $750,000 (x 6 years) to Brisbane's list manager. I think they would get a future pick back, perhaps as high as our second. But don't accept a Brisbane line that are worth the same on the open market. They themselves see a huge difference between the two.

So looking at say the Dylan Shiel trade. It was Pick 9 and a Future First to GWS, GWS gave Essendon their future Second back.

My thoughts are similar. Rayner to the value around being inside the Top 10 as a stand alone trade (value). They swap their future first, for our future second. Which puts the trade on par with Dylan Shiel.

I'm happy to gift them a solid 250 Draft Points extra draft points to help them with Ashcroft and Fletcher. With our Picks 30, 39 & 69 for their 21 & 56. (21 on traded to get Lobb). So they're a bit ahead of the Shiel trade with the Draft Points trade.

Optimistic maybe. But we've demanded two first rounders, or one first rounder and a player of first round value. This would tick our boxes, and while Brisbane is getting back a Second Rounder and 250 Draft Points. They clearly want something back, and we need give them something.

Edit/add:

Taranto 12 & 19 as a comparison.

Say Brisbane get the GF and it gets pushed back by bids/compo to pick 19 (their future first). Then the above is the equivalent of Pick 12 & Second Rounder & 250 Draft Points for Rayner. If you accept Taranto and Dunkley are equal players. If Dunkley is a better player, then Brisbane do better again.

Rocket Science
07-10-2022, 04:29 PM
Yeah. For all Rayner's pedigree and unrealised potential he's still very much a positional tweener on a contending club, albeit robbed a year of development.

Conversely, Dunkley's a versatile, well established mid entering his absolute prime who's got flags and B&Fs on his resume.

I know which one's more likely to have a bigger impact in a premiership push. And so do they.

jeemak
07-10-2022, 05:54 PM

Not sure how many competent rucks who play forward can kick a couple of goals a game there are in the competition, but I'd definitely like to know I have at least one (who's willing to play there) on our list.

Grantysghost
07-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Not sure how many competent rucks who play forward can kick a couple of goals a game there are in the competition, but I'd definitely like to know I have at least one (who's willing to play there) on our list.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qLogsdN71M9mo/giphy.gif

kruder
07-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Lobb will be at the Bulldogs next year I reckon.

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Lobb will be at the Bulldogs next year I reckon.

Do you mean he will stay in Fremantle until his contract expires or that the trade will be made by Wednesday?

1eyedog
07-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Lobb will be playing at the Bulldogs next year. I agree the news is suggesting Freo are open to it and are holding out on a 20-25 if they can get that.

kruder
07-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Do you mean he will stay in Fremantle until his contract expires or that the trade will be made by Wednesday?

Just classic rhetoric this one, if Jackson is done then Lobb will be coming. They haven't wanted him all year.

MrMahatma
08-10-2022, 12:13 AM
Just classic rhetoric this one, if Jackson is done then Lobb will be coming. They haven't wanted him all year.

To be fair, Jackson isn’t playing most of Lobb’s role. If I was Freo, I’d be holding onto Lobb (and prob offering Schache a min contract also cause FML he’s gonna kick 50 a year with them fo sho!)

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 09:36 PM
Sam Landsberger:

Pick 30 isn’t moving Freo to trade Lobb