I suppose if want to.

bornadog
08-10-2022, 11:04 PM
I suppose if want to.

Tell you the truth, I don't know what he is worth

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 11:08 PM
Tell you the truth, I don't know what he is worth

Somewhere between their demand (pick 21 somehow off Lions) and our offer of Pick 30.

If for argument sake Lions offer Future First & Player to us. Then a pick/points swap of 21 and later Pick say 55 (assuming 48 is off to the Hawks) for 30 & 39 to secure Lobb with Pick 21, in reality to us is Pick 30 and a 16 pick downgrade (less after Lions exhaust picks, maybe a 12-13 pick downgrade only). That seems about right. Pick 30 and a smidge more. Best case a late future pick back, but it’s not absolutely critical.

Happy Days
08-10-2022, 11:21 PM
He’s worth pick 30. That’s a good pick and also happens to be the age Lobb will be next season. I wouldn’t be paying a cent more.

EasternWest
08-10-2022, 11:25 PM
Sam Landsberger:

Pick 30 isn’t moving Freo to trade Lobb

Do you think if we offer Vezpremi as well it'll get it over the line?

Happy Days
08-10-2022, 11:38 PM

Why would we do that. He’s just about to turn the corner.

jeemak
08-10-2022, 11:43 PM

I wouldn't do it just when he's one pre season away from really coming into his own.

boydogs
09-10-2022, 12:06 AM
If there’s three mature players coming in, and we believe the premiership window is open next year. I would put the Brisbane future first on the table for another good player (in position of need). Try to bring in 4 best 22 players while holding 2022 & 2023 first rounders. We have the trade capital and some cap space. If we are contending then let’s be brave while holding top picks for two years to bring in fresh top talent.

I've seen a lot of talk about whether we are contending and therefore should top up with mature players, or whether we are way off and need to hit the draft. But I haven't seen the salary cap banking system mentioned. Clubs can use between 95-105% of the salary cap. Being brave and going all in to me would include using 105% of the cap, not just what we do with trades and drafting

bulldogtragic
09-10-2022, 08:57 AM
I've seen a lot of talk about whether we are contending and therefore should top up with mature players, or whether we are way off and need to hit the draft. But I haven't seen the salary cap banking system mentioned. Clubs can use between 95-105% of the salary cap. Being brave and going all in to me would include using 105% of the cap, not just what we do with trades and drafting

My understanding of cap banking is that clubs at a minimum, must use 95%. If a club uses the bare 95%, they can bank the 5% for the next two seasons for future use. So whilst it’s 105% in a given year, the average cap over the three years never exceeds 100% of the cap. Clubs can continue to essentially keep rolling they bank ahead by paying players early and having the bank materialise in later years.

If we have some cap banked, then you’re dead right, there’s extra cap space to chase players. Assuming Lobb comes and Dunkley goes (maybe if Hunter moves too) then Power has a few options. He can offer the money for a player/s not linked to us publicly yet, he can bank the cap next year which could be a piggy bank for looking at free agents in 2023 (Ben McKay & Himmelberg look the best potentials), or he can restructure some 2023 contracts (players will be happy to get rich sooner) and push the bank down the road.

Not know the exact cap situation, Sam hasn’t emailed me yet, then I think you’re right generally about being brave if we believe our window open makes sense. Clearly bringing in two 30 years olds (Jones & Lobb) we can assume we think our window is right now so using any bank and money Dunkley rejected for a good player makes sense, as you say. I hope we are trying to pry our Rayner or looking to bring in another best 22/23 player for 2023. If not, restructure for next year, and do what The Doctor wants and shower Ben McKay in cash.

Good pick up.

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 09:54 AM
We made a commitment to Lobb before the trade period but we currently are unlikely to satisfy Freo's request for a pick inside of the first 22. How hard should we push this to try and get a deal over the line? Is it #30 or nothing or do we need to sweeten it?

Happy Days
09-10-2022, 10:04 AM
We made a commitment to Lobb before the trade period but we currently are unlikely to satisfy Freo's request for a pick inside of the first 22. How hard should we push this to try and get a deal over the line? Is it #30 or nothing or do we need to sweeten it?

Before anyone points it out, I know it’s logically inconsistent to say that we shouldn’t offer more to satisfy Freo while also saying that Brisbane need to figure out a way to get two firsts for Dunkley. But pick 30 for a 30 year old Lobb is absolutely a reasonable offer and even though I think he’s a good player I’m not so wedded to the deal that we should overpay.

Grantysghost
09-10-2022, 10:05 AM

If we've been orchestrating it and offered him a good contract we need to pony up ;)

Personally I think we just offer 30, however Freo have the extra lever of the contract.

Mofra
09-10-2022, 10:08 AM
Wait and see. Rayner is worth about $450,000, while Dunkley with worth $750,000 (x 6 years) to Brisbane's list manager. I think they would get a future pick back, perhaps as high as our second. But don't accept a Brisbane line that are worth the same on the open market. They themselves see a huge difference between the two.
Raynor is close to their most untouchable player (at least until Ashcroft is on board). McLuggage and Raynor would probably be the two.
We'd need a Tom Boyd deal to get him to us.

Mofra
09-10-2022, 10:09 AM
If we've been orchestrating it and offered him a good contract we need to pony up ;)

Personally I think we just offer 30, however Freo have the extra lever of the contract.
I'd expecting pick swaps get us a mid-20s pick to up the Lobb offer. 30 + 39 and perhaps a swap of future picks.

Topdog
09-10-2022, 10:28 AM

Pick 30 for a bloke that turns 30 before he'd play his first game for us is actually ponying up.

Grantysghost
09-10-2022, 10:38 AM
Pick 30 for a bloke that turns 30 before he'd play his first game for us is actually ponying up.

Sounds about right doesn't it, tenth in their B and F so not like it's their best player.

jeemak
09-10-2022, 10:48 AM
I suggested an early to mid second is his value, about 25-28. Not sure how we get there.

bornadog
09-10-2022, 10:53 AM
I suggested an early to mid second is his value, about 25-28. Not sure how we get there.

That sounds about right. Our 27 has been pushed out to 30 and could go further out.

Mofra
09-10-2022, 09:29 PM
30 + 39 to West Coast for 26?
30 + 39 to St Kilda for 28 and 47?

jeemak
09-10-2022, 09:38 PM

Either of those would be awesome compared to giving up 21 should we receive it. I think if we landed a guy in quality career best form in a tough position to fill at 26-28 we should be happy.

Do either the WCE or StK need points?

bulldogtragic
09-10-2022, 09:42 PM

Options a plenty. Hawks 24 & 52 too.

I like the Saints you suggest if Freo take 28. If Brisbane burn six picks inside the 47 for two matched bids, the net effect is 47 comes into 43.

If WCE get something later that could be good.

How hard do Freo really want to push it. What’s reasonable on our end making sure we respect Lobb’s public call to play for us.

Swoop
09-10-2022, 10:11 PM
I feel like both Freo and the Bulldogs want to get their main deals done in Dunkley and Jackson, before they reasses their hands and finalise the Lobb deal. We may need to shuffle picks but I think ultimately the deal gets done.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Will be interesting to see Freos evolvement here.

They've transitioned from 'we won't trade him' to 'pick 30 isn't enough '.

Getting less for Dunkley and overpaying for Lobb is a hard one to swallow, both look likely. Lobbs worth really is no more than about pick 27-32 IMO.

soupman
09-10-2022, 10:46 PM
I don't think pick 21 for Lobb is unreasonable. Sure he's 30 but even 2 good season playing a difficult rand somewhat unique role in a side that is trying to challenge is probably 70% more likely to be better than anything a pick 21 player produces.

Draft picks are severely overrated, which again is why I'm amazed how cheap players are being traded for. Acres for pick 40 odd is amazing value, Logue for pick 19ish is amazing.

Top 30 draft picks are important in getting talent onto your list, but in and of themselves they are a lucky dip that is rigged against the club.

I'd honestly be surprised if there is even a statistically big difference between pick 21 and 30.

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 10:46 PM

The Saints can bid on McKenzie if he slides past their pick can't they? They might think 28 and 47 will help them land him

Swoop
09-10-2022, 10:58 PM
I believe under the new rules they can only bid if he slides beyond Pick 40, similar to Essendon with Munkara. It's safe to say McKenzie won't be sliding that far!

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 11:01 PM
I believe under the new rules they can only bid if he slides beyond Pick 40, similar to Essendon with Munkara. It's safe to sat McKenzie won't be sliding that far!

Yes, I should have known that.

Grantysghost
09-10-2022, 11:02 PM
Yes, I should have known that.

Crazily I spoke to the man himself about that we coined it the Marra rule. AKA can’t have the Dogs benefiting rule.

Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew due to it, he was their nga player.

Edit : Now I remember it was about one of his brothers who he thinks is very good but won’t get to us due to his rule.

Stevo
10-10-2022, 08:00 AM
Can we give them a F3 as well?

Why would we do that? Why overpay?

Topdog
10-10-2022, 09:44 AM
I don't think pick 21 for Lobb is unreasonable. Sure he's 30 but even 2 good season playing a difficult rand somewhat unique role in a side that is trying to challenge is probably 70% more likely to be better than anything a pick 21 player produces.

Draft picks are severely overrated, which again is why I'm amazed how cheap players are being traded for. Acres for pick 40 odd is amazing value, Logue for pick 19ish is amazing.

Top 30 draft picks are important in getting talent onto your list, but in and of themselves they are a lucky dip that is rigged against the club.

I'd honestly be surprised if there is even a statistically big difference between pick 21 and 30.

He has 2 seasons with over 20 goals so honestly feel that 21 is too much. Having said that agree with your thoughts on it being a bit of pot luck. These are 2014 - 2020 drafts for picks 20-22 and 29-31. Putting in spoiler tags as it takes up a lot of space and not everyone will be interested.

20 Jayden Laverde Essendon
21 Hugh Goddard St Kilda
22 Daniel McKenzie St Kilda
29 Touk Miller Gold Coast
30 Brayden Maynard Collingwood
31 Daniel Howe Hawthorn

20 Brayden Fiorini Gold Coast
21 Ben McKay North Melbourne
22 Kieran Lovell Hawthorn
29 Alex Morgan Essendon
30 Mason Redman Essendon
31 Ryan Clarke North Melbourne

20 Isaac Cumming Greater Western Sydney
21 Will Hayward Sydney
22 Jordan Ridley Essendon
29 Shai Bolton Richmond
30 Sam McLarty Collingwood
31 Josh Begley Essendon

20 Callum Coleman-Jones Richmond
21 Oscar Allen West Coast
22 Lachie Fogarty Geelong
29 Charlie Spargo Melbourne
30 Tom De Koning Carlton
31 Bayley Fritsch Melbourne

20 Riley Collier-Dawkins Richmond
21 Ely Smith Brisbane Lions
22 Xavier O'Halloran GWS Giants
29 Will Kelly Collingwood
30 Will Hamill Adelaide
31 Luke Foley West Coast

20 Sam Philp Carlton
21 Thomson Dow Richmond
22 Deven Robertson Brisbane Lions
29 Finn Maginness Hawthorn
30 Harrison Jones Essendon
31 Charlie Comben North Melbourne

20 Max Holmes Geelong
22 Bailey Laurie Melbourne
21 Jake Bowey+ Melbourne
29 Seamus Mitchell Hawthorn
30 Caleb Poulter Collingwood
31 Liam McMahon Collingwood

bornadog
10-10-2022, 09:44 AM
Why would we do that? Why overpay?

I was thinking pick swaps?

1eyedog
10-10-2022, 04:02 PM

As a player 21 is definitely unreasonable but he's contracted and he's worth what we are prepared to pay. Pick 21 and Freo are making out like bandits but we may need to do it because we're reasonable and we seem to be really into him.

Jasper
10-10-2022, 04:43 PM
Does Freo need Lobb as much now that the Jackson trade has gone through?
It will be the land of the Giants if it's Lobb, Jackson, Tabener and Treacy. Fyfe likely to spend more time forward as well.

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 04:57 PM
Does Freo need Lobb as much now that the Jackson trade has gone through?
It will be the land of the Giants if it's Lobb, Jackson, Tabener and Treacy. Fyfe likely to spend more time forward as well.

It's a good question. I had heard that were thinking of playing him in a Blicavs type role so if that's true that may be able to keep them all.
Be interesting.

GVGjr
10-10-2022, 05:05 PM
It's a good question. I had heard that were thinking of playing him in a Blicavs type role so if that's true that may be able to keep them all.
Be interesting.

Does he have a Blicavs type tank?

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 05:08 PM

Not sure anyone does :)

I think his endurance is pretty good for a big guy?

1eyedog
10-10-2022, 05:09 PM

I don't think he has. Very few do. Blicavs is also good defensively and I think Lobb is a bit more two dimensional.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Freo now have Pick 44.

Assuming they want more than Pick 30. Now Pick 30 & 39 for Lobb & 44. That huge five pick upgrade is ‘more’ than just pick 30. Barely, but it is.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 09:27 PM
Freo now have Pick 44.

Assuming they want more than Pick 30. Now Pick 30 & 39 for Lobb & 44. That huge five pick upgrade is ‘more’ than just pick 30. Barely, but it is.

Yep - about as far as we should be willing to go.

I still think this trade gets done. Freo know he really doesn't want to be there, once declined via a trade happens, but twice? Has that ever happened?

It's not like they dont have options with Amiss, Treacy, Jackson and Tabener. Lobb is ahead of at least 3, but for the sake of 'moving on' I think they'll pull the trigger.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2022, 09:41 PM
Yep - about as far as we should be willing to go.

I still think this trade gets done. Freo know he really doesn't want to be there, once declined via a trade happens, but twice? Has that ever happened?

It's not like they dont have options with Amiss, Treacy, Jackson and Tabener. Lobb is ahead of at least 3, but for the sake of 'moving on' I think they'll pull the trigger.

Right now their first pick is 44. Lobb goes on my post, they’re now got two picks inside 40. They have to take it if we’re generous enough to offer it.

So we go 11, 45, 69, Lobb & Jones - with Dunkley ??

mjp
10-10-2022, 10:20 PM

Have you heard of a little fella called 'Josh Dunkley'??

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 10:22 PM

More like Dosh Junkley... Am I right ?!

https://media.giphy.com/media/R0TrhAtNeUC0E/giphy.gif

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 10:33 PM

I would be surprised if it didn't get done, wouldn't you?

mjp
10-10-2022, 10:37 PM

Nope.

I think we are genuinely prepared to dig our heels in.

GVGjr
10-10-2022, 10:46 PM

I won't be. Not convinced we are chips in with getting him across. The valuations of both teams seems to be further apart than just a slight compromise might be able to close.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2022, 10:53 PM
Nope.

I think we are genuinely prepared to dig our heels in.

I won't be. Not convinced we are chips in with getting him across. The valuations of both teams seems to be further apart than just a slight compromise might be able to close.

I'm absolutely all for it, mind you.

bornadog
10-10-2022, 10:58 PM
Jon Ralph

Rory Lobb trade now cranks into motion. There is growing momentum for a move as the Dockers try to extract maximum compensation if they do trade him to the Dogs, having got their man Jackson

and

Callum Twomey

Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs expected to discuss Rory Lobb tomorrow, with the Dockers forward remaining adamant on a move to the Dogs with a year to go on his contract.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:37 AM
Peter Ryan reports:

Rory Lobb remains one of the most intriguing players on the trade table, with the 29-year-old desperate to get to the Western Bulldogs.

He has already moved to Melbourne in the expectation of being traded, which sources said was a reasonable expectation because the Dockers indicated at the end of last year’s trade period they would be happy to move him on this season, despite one year remaining on his contract.

The Bulldogs and the Dockers will meet on Tuesday to thrash out the options. That could go either way but it at least gives Lobb some hope.

Mofra
11-10-2022, 11:53 AM
Peter Ryan reports:

Rory Lobb remains one of the most intriguing players on the trade table, with the 29-year-old desperate to get to the Western Bulldogs.

He has already moved to Melbourne in the expectation of being traded, which sources said was a reasonable expectation because the Dockers indicated at the end of last year’s trade period they would be happy to move him on this season, despite one year remaining on his contract.

The Bulldogs and the Dockers will meet on Tuesday to thrash out the options. That could go either way but it at least gives Lobb some hope.
30 & 39 to either Freo, or to a third party for a pick int he 20s.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2022, 11:57 AM
God I’m so unenthusiastic about this trade. Let’s hope another club ‘swoops’ on him.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Anyway to trade 30 and 39 for a 20s pick with a lil something coming back? Still need to draft a third kid

Mofra
11-10-2022, 12:00 PM
Anyway to trade 30 and 39 for a 20s pick with a lil something coming back? Still need to draft a third kid
Can always trade back into this draft with a future pick too.
I'm sure we'll canvas pick trades between now and draft day

F'scary
11-10-2022, 12:17 PM
God I’m so unenthusiastic about this trade. Let’s hope another club ‘swoops’ on him.

I find the prospect of the Ruck/Forward tandem with English very enticing.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 12:55 PM
Trade raisin twitter

"It is progressing in the right way. The Dunkley deal will probably need to be done first to initiate the Lobb deal to Dog. Pick 21 plays a role in both deals here I am told. It could go the distance."

- @JoshGabelich on the progression of the Lobb deal.

1eyedog
11-10-2022, 05:15 PM
Trade raisin twitter

"It is progressing in the right way. The Dunkley deal will probably need to be done first to initiate the Lobb deal to Dog. Pick 21 plays a role in both deals here I am told. It could go the distance."

- @JoshGabelich on the progression of the Lobb deal.

As suspected we'll take unders and then give overs by the sounds of it.

jazzadogs
11-10-2022, 05:25 PM
I saw on twitter, think it was trade radio via Sam Edmund, that are our latest offer includes a future second. So sounds like it's getting more complex than just 21 or 30 or whatever.

G-Mo77
11-10-2022, 05:28 PM
As suspected we'll take unders and then give overs by the sounds of it.

Looking likely. 2 picks for Lobb is overs, I understand he is under contract and Freo can ask for 10 picks but surely we haven't thrown all our eggs in one basket and now reek of desperation to get a deal. I want Lobb, I think he'll be really good for us if it comes at to higher cost we should just walk away.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 05:40 PM
I saw on twitter, think it was trade radio via Sam Edmund, that are our latest offer includes a future second. So sounds like it's getting more complex than just 21 or 30 or whatever.

39 + f2 on our end. Not sure if something coming back

1eyedog
11-10-2022, 05:42 PM
Looking likely. 2 picks for Lobb is overs, I understand he is under contract and Freo can ask for 10 picks but surely we haven't thrown all our eggs in one basket and now reek of desperation to get a deal. I want Lobb, I think he'll be really good for us if it comes at to higher cost we should just walk away.

2 picks for Schache in hindsight was overs too. Hopefully Lobb plays more than Schache.

Topdog
11-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Paying more for Lobb than Grundy would really top off this last 12 months for the Bulldogs nicely

Happy Days
11-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Did they seriously ask for 11? Why even bother?

G-Mo77
11-10-2022, 06:02 PM

Smart play, ask a ridiculous price to show they're not bluffing rival club offers more than he's worth if you believe the reports. I hope we just walk away.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 06:06 PM

Surely not this guy came tenth in their B and F and is 30 and had about 2 good seasons his entire career.

Let's stick a pin in this one Dogs ffs.

Let's just hit the draft.

Stevo
11-10-2022, 06:07 PM

Way overs. He'd be a handy player but why should we over pay for him?

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 06:09 PM

The trade period to date kind of sums up being a Bulldogs fan, doesn't it?

DOG GOD
11-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Forget Lobb and just give Martin 2 years.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Smart play, ask a ridiculous price to show they're not bluffing rival club offers more than he's worth if you believe the reports. I hope we just walk away.

Yep, we were willing to trade him as promised.

Dogs just wouldn't swap us the Bont and Bailey Smith.

They've never wanted to lose him.

ratsmac
11-10-2022, 06:18 PM
I would be livered if we over pay for Lobb. Forget Lobb and keep Schache. If Schache played every game he'd kick 30 goals easily. That's just 1.3 goals a game. Schache is free

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 06:22 PM
I would be livered if we over pay for Lobb. Forget Lobb and keep Schache. If Schache played every game he'd kick 30 goals easily. That's just 1.3 goals a game. Schache is free
What’s he like on turnover?

Asking for friend.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 06:31 PM

1. Schache can't ruck well
2. Schache has taken 51 contested marks in his career. Lobb took 32 this season

This is not to say one is a vastly superior player to the other (I want nothing to do with the Schache brigade) but that the roles they play are different.

Schache doesn't really play that tall forward. He's more a leading forward who is also tall. Lobb is a contested marking backup ruck. He solves a structural problem we've had the entire time Schache has been on the list (aside from early 21)

Stevo
11-10-2022, 10:07 PM
I won't mind at all if we can get this deal done and equally I won't lose sleep if we can't.
He is an average ruck man and decent forward and when I see what a game changer like Grundy went for and knowing the Pies were slipping in 1.5M over 5 years I do not want to overpay for a bit better than a middle of the road Rory Lobb. No problems with Freo setting a price but if it means we significantly compromise our draft hand then thanks but no thanks.

Jasper
11-10-2022, 10:18 PM
39 + f2 on our end. Not sure if something coming back

For a player that might play 60 to 80 games for us? Hefty price.

ratsmac
12-10-2022, 03:14 AM
1. Schache can't ruck well
2. Schache has taken 51 contested marks in his career. Lobb took 32 this season

This is not to say one is a vastly superior player to the other (I want nothing to do with the Schache brigade) but that the roles they play are different.

Schache doesn't really play that tall forward. He's more a leading forward who is also tall. Lobb is a contested marking backup ruck. He solves a structural problem we've had the entire time Schache has been on the list (aside from early 21)

I agree with you but my point was more about over paying for a 30 year old who had his best season to date with 36 goals.

I don't think he is a very good ruckman either. He probably beats other backup rucks of the Cordy calibre but don't go pinning your hopes on Lobb dominating in the centre.

Let my rephrase my post. I would be livered if we over pay for Lobb. Forget Lobb and keep Schache. If Schache played every game he'd kick 30 goals easily. That's just 1.3 goals a game. Schache is free. * But not fussed if he we had neither play for us next year. Schache would be a depth player anyway.

I don't reckon we need Lobb at all tbh. Scoring wasn't our issue this year, it was getting scored against. If Lobb turns us into a defensive outfit like Freo were this year then I'm all in, otherwise I'm happy to pass on Lobb.

dog town
12-10-2022, 04:13 AM
I agree with you but my point was more about over paying for a 30 year old who had his best season to date with 36 goals.

I don't think he is a very good ruckman either. He probably beats other backup rucks of the Cordy calibre but don't go pinning your hopes on Lobb dominating in the centre.

Let my rephrase my post. I would be livered if we over pay for Lobb. Forget Lobb and keep Schache. If Schache played every game he'd kick 30 goals easily. That's just 1.3 goals a game. Schache is free. * But not fussed if he we had neither play for us next year. Schache would be a depth player anyway.

I don't reckon we need Lobb at all tbh. Scoring wasn't our issue this year, it was getting scored against. If Lobb turns us into a defensive outfit like Freo were this year then I'm all in, otherwise I'm happy to pass on Lobb.
I agree on keeping Schache but we need a forward/ruck which Schache can’t do. They are not really a comparison in that sense.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:12 AM
I'm genuinely torn on striking a deal for Lobb and I feel we owe him something given we flagged our interest in him a few months back

I get why Fremantle are demanding a high price but #21 and #39 is way too much for Lobb.
To me it's #30 and nothing else and if that isn't sufficient then it's time to say sorry to Rory and go into the draft this year with 11, 30 and 39 and put some faith in Dom Milesi and the team to get us 3 good players.

The Doctor
12-10-2022, 08:38 AM
Freo apparently want an F2 to satisfy the Suns asking price for Sharp. So I think that is an important stepping stone in getting the deals done. Therefore if the Dogs satisfy that need it should rule out anything under pick 30 this year as an add on.

So I suspect that the Dogs will be gunning for Lions F2 in addition to F1 & Pick 21. That might mean pick 39 or our F3 (preferably) goes to Lions.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:41 AM
Freo apparently want an F2 to satisfy the Suns asking price for Sharp. So I think that is an important stepping stone in getting the deals done. Therefore if the Dogs satisfy that need it should rule out anything under pick 30 this year as an add on.

So I suspect that the Dogs will be gunning for Lions F2 in addition to F1 & Pick 21. That might mean pick 39 or our F3 (preferably) goes to Lions.

Thanks for adding the clarity.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 08:44 AM
I'm genuinely torn on striking a deal for Lobb and I feel we owe him something given we flagged our interest in him a few months back

I get why Fremantle are demanding a high price but #21 and #39 is way too much for Lobb.
To me it's #30 and nothing else and if that isn't sufficient then it's time to say sorry to Rory and go into the draft this year with 11, 30 and 39 and put some faith in Dom Milesi and the team to get us 3 good players.

There’s a point where we have to pull the plug.

Personally I’d be ok with the 21 from the Lions going to Freo, we’ve courted Lobb and as much as I’m not a massive fan we need to walk the walk.

If it ends up Dunkley for Lobb and a future first it’s probably palatable.

G you follow the kids closely, is 21 (or 23) going to be a good pick this year?

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:45 AM

Personally I’d be ok with the 21 from the Lions going to Freo, we’ve courted Lobb and as much as I’m not a massive fan we need to walk the walk.

I think so, picks under 40 are valuable.

jazzadogs
12-10-2022, 08:57 AM

Do Brisbane have enough current and future draft picks to be allowed to trade out their future 1st and future 2nd?

Would be a bit of a quirk if they're not allowed to trade because they don't have any first round this year, even though they're getting pick 1.

Similarly for us, we haven't actually held a first round pick for the last two years - but we've got pick 1 and 2.

The Doctor
12-10-2022, 09:04 AM
Do Brisbane have enough current and future draft picks to be allowed to trade out their future 1st and future 2nd?

Would be a bit of a quirk if they're not allowed to trade because they don't have any first round this year, even though they're getting pick 1.

Similarly for us, we haven't actually held a first round pick for the last two years - but we've got pick 1 and 2.

As far as I'm aware Brisbane have their own F1 & F2 & Geelong's F2. They can trade out 2 of these I believe. They also have pick 21 this year. So they have plenty to play with.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 09:09 AM
We need to get our name linked to Ratugolea and see if that can't prick up the ears of Fremantle.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 09:10 AM
The Doctor is correct, they can trade 1st and a 2nd.

The selection of a matched bid in the first round counts as using a first round selection for the ‘2 in 4’ first round use rules.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2022, 09:13 AM

If Lobb was 25/26, a F1 and Lobb is palatable but given he's 30 and only once performed to this level, there's no chance I'd be handing over Pick 21 even IF draft picks are speculative/overrated at that point. We need more young talent into the club considering we've coughed up a lot for two players in recent years (Marra/Darcy).

Pick 30 + a F3 would be my offer, or Pick 30 + F2 for Lobb & F3.

hujsh
12-10-2022, 09:36 AM

I don't think he is a very good ruckman either. He probably beats other backup rucks of the English calibre but don't go pinning your hopes on Lobb dominating in the centre.

Edited for accuracy based on our most recent match

bornadog
12-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Peter Ryan reporting:

Bulldogs put forward a second round and future second round as basis for offer for Rory Lobb with a later pick or two back their way on Tuesday. Dockers have a bit on with O'Meara deciding whether to head there:

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Peter Ryan reporting:

That seems a lot.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-10-2022, 10:11 AM
2 second rounders....I really hope not.

mjp
12-10-2022, 10:24 AM
2 second rounders....I really hope not.

I'm sort of torn on this.

Whilst I believe we had not 'COMMITTED' to Lobb we would trade for him, there is no doubt given his actions (buying a house in Melbourne etc) he BELIEVES that we did. As such, I think we are somewhat obliged to make it happen.

On the other side, we already have Bruce, Jamarra, Naughts playing as tall forwards. Where EXACTLY does he play? I'm kind of lost. And I guess this means Darcy is definitely a defender??? I mean...

hujsh
12-10-2022, 10:56 AM
Guess it depends on whose second rounder (Geelong's via Brisbane?) and what we get back (3rd or 4th round).

Because that will determine if it's 2 2nd rounders or just 1 and change

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2022, 11:01 AM

Whilst I believe we had not 'COMMITTED' to Lobb we would trade for him, there is no doubt given his actions (buying a house in Melbourne etc) he BELIEVES that we did. As such, I think we are somewhat obliged to make it happen.

On the other side, we already have Bruce, Jamarra, Naughts playing as tall forwards. Where EXACTLY does he play? I'm kind of lost. And I guess this means Darcy is definitely a defender??? I mean...

He also believes Freo had told him they were trading him - they are partly/majorly responsible for this situation

Have they really reconsidered after he had his best year? or is it just negotiation posturing?

SquirrelGrip
12-10-2022, 11:13 AM

I heard Bruce’s manager on the radio this morning - he’s also Horne-Francis’s manager - and he mentioned Bruce has already started preparing hard for next year, with the option of playing back or forward,

ratsmac
12-10-2022, 11:25 AM

I'm with you. We are to far down the road to back out

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 11:32 AM
I'm with you. We are to far down the road to back out

I'm not there. I am Pro Lobb and have been for some time but to give up 2 2nd rounders for him is utterly ludicrous. I'd be saying "Sorry Rory, we tried but we could not get it done. We'd love to have you in 2024, keep in touch"

I dread what our final trades are going to be at the end of the period. Give up too much for the player we want and not get enough for the player departing.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 11:36 AM
I'm not there. I am Pro Lobb and have been for some time but to give up 2 2nd rounders for him is utterly ludicrous. I'd be saying "Sorry Rory, we tried but we could not get it done. We'd love to have you in 2024, keep in touch"

I dread what our final trades are going to be at the end of the period. Give up too much for the player we want and not get enough for the player departing.

I am fully backing Power to get the right deals done. (fingers crossed :D )

lemmon
12-10-2022, 11:44 AM

Absolutely.

I feel like our obligation is to offer fair market value - which it sounds like we've done. If Freo refuses to come to the party or hold a higher value on Lobb than what's broadly reasonable, we can't be blamed for that and we're not accountable for the personal decisions a player chooses to make before he's signed on the dotted line for our club.

I do caveat that by saying that I wouldn't be going anywhere near Lobb for a pick under 35 and he's not a player I'd like to see on our list next year.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 12:42 PM
Absolutely.

I feel like our obligation is to offer fair market value - which it sounds like we've done. If Freo refuses to come to the party or hold a higher value on Lobb than what's broadly reasonable, we can't be blamed for that and we're not accountable for the personal decisions a player chooses to make before he's signed on the dotted line for our club.

I do caveat that by saying that I wouldn't be going anywhere near Lobb for a pick under 35 and he's not a player I'd like to see on our list next year.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think by paying a pick 25 for example we are paying overs due to him having a career year but could understand us doing it as we made an obligation to him.

Freo on the other hand had him 10th in their B&F despite his career year. Our top goalscorer in Naughton came 3rd.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 12:44 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think by paying a pick 25 for example we are paying overs due to him having a career year but could understand us doing it as we made an obligation to him.

Freo on the other hand had him 10th in their B&F despite his career year. Our top goalscorer in Naughton came 3rd.

We've been crying out for a forward/ second ruck and that is where Lobb fits in. Once he is retired Sammy Darcy takes over.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 02:12 PM
We've been crying out for a forward/ second ruck and that is where Lobb fits in. Once he is retired Sammy Darcy takes over.

yeah my point was more that Freo are asking us for a heck of a lot for a 30 year old that they rated 10th in their B&F

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 02:19 PM
yeah my point was more that Freo are asking us for a heck of a lot for a 30 year old that they rated 10th in their B&F

Ok. Being in contract is the snag.

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Ok. Being in contract is the snag.

Yeah, that's the difference right there and it's why we'll pay way overs. It's also why we'll get serious unders for Dunkley. If we had another year on his contract we could demand more we don't so we're not going to be happy with the result.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 02:44 PM
Yeah, that's the difference right there and it's why we'll pay way overs. It's also why we'll get serious unders for Dunkley. If we had another year on his contract we could demand more we don't so we're not going to be happy with the result.

We are already being offered well unders for Dunkley.

I just can't see how Lobb is going to help us win a premiership so I'm happy to just not pay the asking price like Essendon did with Dunkley 2 years ago.

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 02:49 PM
We are already being offered well unders for Dunkley.

I just can't see how Lobb is going to help us win a premiership so I'm happy to just not pay the asking price like Essendon did with Dunkley 2 years ago.

And we'll take it TD. We have to

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Surely Schache going as depth, means Lobb is incoming.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Surely Schache going as depth, means Lobb is incoming.

We did say they weren't linked but you would have to think it increases the odds of getting Lobb.
We should not over pay though. They want JOM and will likely need to move on Lobb.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 04:00 PM
We did say they weren't linked but you would have to think it increases the odds of getting Lobb.
We should not over pay though. They want JOM and will likely need to move on Lobb.

Schache thinks he's more of a chance of playing at Melbourne.??. I infer he thinks he's further back as a KPF with us and uncertain we retain him.

Sedat
12-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Schache thinks he's more of a chance of playing at Melbourne.??
He's probably right. They currently have, as their no 1 key forward, Ben Brown spudding it up and flopping around like an unco giraffe.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 04:10 PM
He's probably right. They currently have, as their no 1 key forward, Ben Brown spudding it up and flopping around like an unco giraffe.

Hence, the pure guess, Lobb is coming.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Lobb's manager sounds confident of a trade with us.

chef
12-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Lobb's manager sounds confident of a trade with us.

For pick 21

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 04:21 PM
For pick 21

Must be Rayner, Future First and Pick 21 and Dunkley and Pick 30.

Only thing that makes sense.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 04:22 PM
For pick 21
Surely not

chef
12-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Surely not

That's what his manager was mentioning

bornadog
12-10-2022, 04:30 PM
That's what his manager was mentioning

He is no Sam Power

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 04:34 PM
For pick 21

I'd rather take that to the draft, but we've committed.

Happy Days
12-10-2022, 04:35 PM
21 for Lobb is horrible. And I like Lobb.

Swoop
12-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Schache thinks he's more of a chance of playing at Melbourne.??. I infer he thinks he's further back as a KPF with us and uncertain we retain him.

The issue is that Melbourne wanted him and we didn't. I think he would have gone anywhere that showed interest because he wants to play AFL. He didn't have much choice.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 04:38 PM
The issue is that Melbourne wanted him and we didn't. I think he would have gone anywhere that showed interest because he wants to play AFL. He didn't have much choice.

Schache, Weideman, Francis - all pretty much the same type of player. Talls that don't have that killer instinct.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Schache, Weideman, Francis - all pretty much the same type of player. Talls that don't have that killer instinct.

Yeah I reckon they're all lucky they're tall.

F'scary
12-10-2022, 04:42 PM
21 for Lobb is horrible. And I like Lobb.

I don't mind the Lobster. I think we will get him for pick 30 + the F4 from Melb because we won't have pick 21.

Eastdog
12-10-2022, 07:25 PM
Anything happening with the Rory Lobb deal?

hujsh
12-10-2022, 07:30 PM
Done

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 07:31 PM
Anything happening with the Rory Lobb deal?

It's done, details to come

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 07:31 PM
Done deal.

On to some other business apparently we have a new sponsor next year called last minute.com

KT31
12-10-2022, 07:32 PM
News is deals done.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Done deal.

On to some other business apparently we have a new sponsor next year called last minute.com

You've had a few zingers lately G.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 07:36 PM
You've had a few zingers lately G.

The oldies are timeless classics.
I notice Liam Pickering wants Bulldog supporters to back off him on social media. I must admit I've gone hard at him on Twitter.

azabob
12-10-2022, 07:38 PM
I notice Liam Pickering wants Bulldog supporters to back off him on social media. I must admit I've gone hard at him on Twitter.

Pickering still giving drive bys

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 07:38 PM
Pick 30 and a future second.
We keep 21!

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 07:39 PM
Pick 30 and a future second.

More than Bruce. Inflation...

kruder
Pick 30 and future second for Lobb. We still have 21 well done Sam

azabob
More than Bruce. Inflation...

Lobb is taller.

G-Mo77
Great work Sam!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Look, I like Lobb... but x2 second rounders?

We asked the wrong question.

Topdog
This is a worse deal than dunkley

ratsmac
The mystery f2nd. Who's is it?

Happy Days
12-10-2022, 07:41 PM
Wow that's too much.

Trade week done, we're officially worse, two premiership players gone for unders, all while the actual good teams use the week to get significantly better.

I need a spell.

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 07:42 PM
This is a worse deal than dunkley

It's a disgrace. What an absolute joke of a trade period.

They're all laughing at us now. Way to stand firm and flex some muscle.

hujsh
Nothing coming back? Overs. Not as bad as sending 21 but overs.

Dry Rot
Pick 30 and future second for Lobb. We still have 21 well done Sam

Which future second? I think we now have three of them

GVGjr
Pickering still giving drive bys

The Blokey Bloke shtick run it's course about 10 years ago and unfortunately Liam isn't aware of it.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Wow that's too much.

Trade week done, we're officially worse, two premiership players gone for unders, all while the actual good teams use the week to get significantly better.

I need a spell.

I think my spell from footy might extend into 2023. When the better placed teams get much better, and we tread water. Well...

hujsh
12-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Which future second? I think we now have three of them

Pure speculation. I think Geelongs

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Terrible trade period

azabob
I think my spell from footy might extend into 2023. When the better placed teams get much better, and we tread water. Well...

Not acceptable. Please come back with another proposal.

GVGjr

Stick with us BT there is still plenty to play out before draft night.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 07:45 PM

Imagine being an intolerable flog in the public eye and then claiming victimisation when people tell you you're an intolerable flog.

What chutzpah.

bulldogtragic
Stick with us BT there is still plenty to play out before draft night.

Well, Brisbane are going to cut hard. Maybe there's a half decent DFA among them...

GVGjr
Massive difference listening to Colin Young and Liam Pickering.
I know who I would like to be my manager if I was in the AFL.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 07:47 PM

Not permitted BT I can't lose you again. Or you rocketscience. Or you Murphy'sLore. Or any of our lost dogs that have found their way back.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 07:48 PM

Pickering is a blubbering immature hack.

ratsmac

Totally. Pickering is a smug bastard

GVGjr
Not permitted BT I can't lose you again. Or you rocketscience. Or you Murphy'sLore. Or any of our lost dogs that have found their way back.

In the words of Uncle Roger "I'll hunt you down"

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 08:05 PM
In the words of Uncle Roger "I'll hunt you down"

https://i.postimg.cc/Cxzg8PtB/Spanish-Soupy-Irishwaterspaniel-max-1mb.gif (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 08:09 PM
So the 37 year old question.

Is Lobb replacing Schache on the list, or Martin?

hujsh
12-10-2022, 08:14 PM

Lipinksi

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:16 PM

He will play more games than both of them combined. I think he is replacing Bruce who will likely move to CHB

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 08:17 PM
He will play more games than both of them combined. I think he is replacing Bruce who will likely move to CHB

So Martin gets another year then?

Sedat
12-10-2022, 08:19 PM
What about Chops?

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 08:21 PM

It would and wouldn't surprise me. Lobb is not a regular ruckman.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 08:21 PM
We gave Freo our Future Second. We hold Brisbane's Future Second.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 08:24 PM
It can’t be more laughable than that.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 08:25 PM
What about Chops?

Ha ha ha why not? It's been a while since we've had a wild ride on here.

Let's get sockeye and lantern back too.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 08:26 PM
It would and wouldn't surprise me. Lobb is not a regular ruckman.

That's what I mean. If Lobb isn't replacing Martin, then surely Martin is as good as any state leaguer or delisted ruckman and must be retained.

But if Lobb is taking his place on the list. Then he can go straight to retire in 'manor heights centre for active seniors who can't admit they're actually old yet'.

hujsh
12-10-2022, 08:48 PM
That's what I mean. If Lobb isn't replacing Martin, then surely Martin is as good as any state leaguer or delisted ruckman and must be retained.

But if Lobb is taking his place on the list. Then he can go straight to retire in 'manor heights centre for active seniors who can't admit they're actually old yet'.

Well... Is he better than Sweet? If the answer is not clearly yes I think Sweet is our backup, Lobb emergency option and maybe we try someone else from the state leagues?

Sedat
12-10-2022, 09:00 PM
Lobb emergency option
The emergency option occasionally made our no 1 ruckman look impotent in the EF. Not dissimilar to Hawkins on Hickey in the GF.

Lobb will be ok as a break glass emergency. What we absolutely need is English to lift his performance significantly against the best rucks in the comp. He will rightly be judged very harshly in 2023 on this metric, and it is imperative that he raises his standard if we are to contend and not waste another prime Bont year.

dog town
12-10-2022, 09:06 PM
The emergency option occasionally made our no 1 ruckman look impotent in the EF. Not dissimilar to Hawkins on Hickey in the GF.

Lobb will be ok as a break glass emergency. What we absolutely need is English to lift his performance significantly against the best rucks in the comp. He will rightly be judged very harshly in 2023 on this metric, and it is imperative that he raises his standard if we are to contend and not waste another prime Bont year.
He has asked for this responsibility and it’s impacted our 2022 and possibly our whole list strategy, he needs to deliver now. I don’t expect him to monster anyone just needs to keep control at the stoppage and then use his strengths.

Would think Lobb will help with him not cooking himself early in games with a more realistic bench/forward rotation.

hujsh
12-10-2022, 09:08 PM

Yeah I don't disagree with that TBH. Lobb's the emergency because he should be the second ruck each week all things being equal.

That said while we might be 'chips in' on ol English unless we're happy with Sweet as our number one ruckman in 2025, should English choose to leave at the end of his contract, we should really be adding a new ruck to the list this year to start developing for that role.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-10-2022, 09:08 PM

Do you think English will significantly lift his ruck performance next year?

I don't. He reminds me a bit too much of Schache. Talented footballer with great skills. But zero mungrel in him. He'd make a great forward/2nd ruck option. We need a legit ruck who doesn't get thrown around by rookies.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 09:11 PM

I don't. He reminds me a bit too much of Schache. Talented footballer with great skills. But zero mungrel in him. He'd make a great forward/2nd ruck option. We need a legit ruck who doesn't get thrown around by rookies.

English is a better version of Lobb. Better fwd/ruck but that role is obviously not good enough. He wants to be the main man, putting our Bont years at risk imho. Time will tell.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 09:18 PM
We gave Freo our Future Second. We hold Brisbane's Future Second.
We so need a rooting against the Lions in 2023 thread.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-10-2022, 09:26 PM
We so need a rooting against the Lions in 2023 thread.

It's probably going to be more enjoyable than our 2023. Think we're going to need to rely on some injuries though as Dunkley and Gunston are good gets for them.

azabob
12-10-2022, 09:29 PM
Brendan Lade will be really good for Rory Lobb.

Hopefully Lade can bring consistency to Lobbs game.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 09:30 PM
Brendan Lade will be really good for Rory Lobb.

Hopefully Lade can bring consistency to Lobbs game.

And Tim's too.

Sedat
12-10-2022, 09:31 PM

He has no choice. The club has backed him in extraordinarily to be our no 1 ruck the last 4 years, at great cost in big games. He simply has to improve, hopefully Lade can work his stoppage and ruck craft magic on him because he needs all the help he can get in that area.

kruder
14-10-2022, 07:11 PM
Spoke really well in the presser today, just get the feel his best footy is still to come. He said himself that he has matured alot over the last few years and alot of the giants do get better with age. Its nice to hear a player really wanting to come to us and keen to play for Bevo, its refreshing after the Dunkley saga.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Spoke really well in the presser today, just get the feel his best footy is still to come. He said himself that he has matured alot over the last few years and alot of the giants do get better with age. Its nice to hear a player really wanting to come to us and keen to play for Bevo, its refreshing after the Dunkley saga.

Yeah he seems a honest type, which is refreshing. Not a whole lot of rubbish cliche in that presser.

I'm happy we've got him now, hopefully he makes those around him better players, while replicating his own form.

EasternWest
14-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Yeah he seems a honest type, which is refreshing. Not a whole lot of rubbish cliche in that presser.

I'm happy we've got him now, hopefully he makes those around him better players, while replicating his own form.

I don't want to watch it because I'll be forced to let go of the notion that he's a gws knob.

Happy Days
14-10-2022, 09:25 PM
I don't want to watch it because I'll be forced to let go of the notion that he's a gws knob.

He’ll always have that sweet N:OW tattoo to remind you though.

Swoop
14-10-2022, 09:43 PM

He's our GWS knob now. Get around him.

The Adelaide Connection
15-10-2022, 01:23 AM

Josh Bruce says "hi".

Are we becoming the new Carlton? ;)

EasternWest
15-10-2022, 07:57 AM
Josh Bruce says "hi".

Are we becoming the new Carlton? ;)

Yeah but Josh Bruce was never part of "that" GWS team. You know the one.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 08:37 AM
Really looking forward in seeing how we use Lobb next season and how we set-up the forward line.
We overpaid a bit to get him but that's OK because he was a contracted player.
He will be an important player for us next season so I hope he is ready to work hard over the pre-season.
It will be very interesting to see how we plan to set-up the forward line because we have a surplus of tall forwards and that is not something I've said too often following the dogs.

Grantysghost
15-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Yeah but Josh Bruce was never part of "that" GWS team. You know the one.

The one with old portrait of a phallus himself.

I found the Lobb interview to be pretty candid, seemed very excited to be a Dogs player.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1237551/rory-lobb-really-excited-to-work-with-some-of-these-young-players-?videoId=1237551&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1665732606001

Mofra
15-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Well... Is he better than Sweet? If the answer is not clearly yes I think Sweet is our backup, Lobb emergency option and maybe we try someone else from the state leagues?
Could Martin play 3-4 games in a row?
He looked pretty cooked last year. Fantastic guy Stef, but surely we rookie a state leaguer like Ballendon/Crossley as depth (bonus being they both have some forward craft too).

Mofra
15-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Really looking forward in seeing how we use Lobb next season and how we set-up the forward line.
He will be an important player for us next season so I hope he is ready to work hard over the pre-season.
It will be very interesting to see how we plan to set-up the forward line because we have a surplus of tall forwards and that is not something I've said too often following the dogs.
Lobb, Naughton, Marra has to be the plan for the talls.
Weightman, perhaps one other 'utility' forward (Hannan?) with McLean and a resting mid/wing type (West/Garcia/VDM) as the 7 we select.

For all we know though, one of our draftees may impress and get selected more often than not.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Could Martin play 3-4 games in a row?
He looked pretty cooked last year. Fantastic guy Stef, but surely we rookie a state leaguer like Ballendon/Crossley as depth (bonus being they both have some forward craft too).

That's exactly what we need to do, look for a versatile taller player who's capable to come in for a few games if absolutely needed.
Unless we've found a fountain of youth cure for Martin and we are pretty confident he could play 3 or 4 games in a row if needed then mining the state leagues or delisted free agents for some support is a requirement.

Grantysghost
15-10-2022, 09:24 AM
Weightman, perhaps one other 'utility' forward (Hannan?) with McLean and a resting mid/wing type (West/Garcia/VDM) as the 7 we select.

For all we know though, one of our draftees may impress and get selected more often than not.

Is Phillipou a Hannan type Mofra? There's been some talk on here he could get to our pick might be a bolter into the side.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 09:29 AM

I think that looks about the right balance. I know Hannan has his critics but I remember talking to Dale Morris who really rated Hannan as a smart player. He needs to get off to a fast start if he is to command a spot with us and he can't keep playing catch-up.

mjp
15-10-2022, 09:32 AM
Is Phillipou a Hannan type Mofra? There's been some talk on here he could get to our pick might be a bolter into the side.

If he makes it to our pick - which would be stunning to me - I would expect him to play Round 1.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 09:33 AM

It's not a bad comparison and I hadn't viewed him that way. Perhaps a Hannan type forward but more of a Dunkley type in the midfield.
I'd be really surprised but happy if he did slide down to our pick because he is a genuine footballer with a lot of upside. The fact that he is a son of a former player isn't bad either.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 09:38 AM
If he makes it to our pick - which would be stunning to me - I would expect him to play Round 1.

He will be one of the youngest players selected this year as well.
Just having a look at his combine results, rated highly in the sprints, did very well in the 2K time trial and his running vertical leaps were right up there. For a player who's a good kick he has done exceptionally well with his athletic abilities.

I couldn't see him getting past the Carlton pick and I think Geelong would be interested as well.

anfo27
15-10-2022, 09:44 AM

Same GvGjr. Looking forward to seeing Lobb in our forward line. Disappointed with what we paid to get him. Just no way he is worth 2 x 2nd rounders. I think we are better balanced with Lobb & jones coming in but until we sort out the way we defend as a team then we could have Lockett & SOS come in & we'll still won't be a serious contender.
As for English, I've been very critical of him in the past & just couldn't see him being a reliable first ruck. He changed my mind this year. I think people need to remember that Tim wasn't the same player after the concussion against GWS this year. Previous to that he had taken a big step forward.

GVGjr
15-10-2022, 09:47 AM
Same GvGjr. Looking forward to seeing Lobb in our forward line. Disappointed with what we paid to get him. Just no way he is worth 2 x 2nd rounders. I think we are better balanced with Lobb & jones coming in but until we sort out the way we defend as a team then we could have Lockett & SOS come in & we'll still won't be a serious contender.
As for English, I've been very critical of him in the past & just couldn't see him being a reliable first ruck. He changed my mind this year. I think people need to remember that Tim wasn't the same player after the concussion against GWS this year. Previous to that he had taken a big step forward.

I'm sort of hoping Lobb sticks with the peroxided hair so he can look like Tim's older brother.

Grantysghost
15-10-2022, 10:04 AM

I wonder if we will be trying to package up picks to get up the order if there's gold lower down.

Guess would be hard to get teams to agree to that.

azabob
15-10-2022, 10:19 AM
I’ve come around to Lobb. Watching him in the second half of the year he pleasantly surprised me.

The other thing I found extremely surprising is his ability to play 95%-100% game time.

Mofra
15-10-2022, 10:20 AM
More a 'midfielder who can play forward' based on the vision I've seen, but others would know more.
He is quality though. If somehow we got him and Charlie Clarke, it's not completely ridiculous to suggest both are in the Round 1 side.

Swoop
15-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Hannan is a player who still has plenty to offer. He had a down year with concussion issues but he was very important during our finals run in 2021.

If you refer back to the start of the season, he'd actually played his way onto the wing and was one of the reasons Hunter got pushed aside. With his versatility he could be an important player that can rotate through multiple positions.

Both Williams and Hannan offer us something different to the traditional wingers we've had in the past. Williams' game on Langdon in R19 was underrated and I'm hoping he can bounce back in 2023 on a wing.

F'scary
15-10-2022, 09:06 PM

JJ is useful as a forward.

bornadog
15-10-2022, 10:58 PM
At the end of the day doesn't really matter what the picks are, as long as they are good players.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 06:55 PM

I don't subscribe to the idea that we overpaid for Lobb. I think he makes us a better, more versatile team from game one next year. We may have given up a little more than some supporters wanted but he was contracted so he was basically worth what we pay for him.

I'm not saying I would have paid a single figure first round pick but I like the way (for instance) the Swans go about trading. Identify a position of need, find the best available player to fill that spot and then do the trade with a minimum of fuss by coughing up a fair trade price.

That way the player feels comfortable and your club gets a reputation for a pragmatic approach in their dealings.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 07:01 PM
I don't subscribe to the idea that we overpaid for Lobb. I think he makes us a better, more versatile team from game one next year. We may have given up a little more than some supporters wanted but he was contracted so he was basically worth what we pay for him.

I'm not saying I would have paid a single figure first round pick but I like the way (for instance) the Swans go about trading. Identify a position of need, find the best available player to fill that spot and then do the trade with a minimum of fuss by coughing up a fair trade price.

That way the player feels comfortable and your club gets a reputation for a pragmatic approach in their dealings.

It's weird the psychology of a trade like this as a supporter.

Logically it makes sense, but I was in the camp of don't need him with Darcy.

Now we have him, and I've heard him talk and seen him in the gear I'm like GREATEST TRADE EVER!

Rory was always a Bulldog :)

Swoop
16-10-2022, 07:11 PM
He offers us the ability to play two genuine ruckman without compromising other areas of the field, especially with Bevo's insistence on being competitive and versatile.

With that in mind, it makes us a better team and our midfielders will be much happier. It's been a while since we've been able to do that!

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 07:13 PM
He offers us the ability to play two genuine ruckman without compromising other areas of the field, especially with Bevo's insistence on being competitive and versatile.

With that in mind, it makes us a better team and our midfielders will be much happier. It's been a while since we've been able to do that!

You're right Swoop. I was wrong to doubt the trade.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 07:37 PM
Is it as simple as;

At stoppages English and Lobb are at best competitive in seeking to win hit outs, perhaps losing more then they win. But in most other aspects, we expect their athleticism, mobility, height, marking, goal kicking, ability to drop back in defence as needed to deliver the team a net gain? Even add Darcy to that list in time. Are we looking to make a bet, that with 3 very agile 205cm+ players that we can exploit opposition rucks and match ups generally to stop ‘LED’ while trying to break even at stoppages?

There’s three AFL quality 205cm+ players potentially running around together. If BevoLade pulls this new vision of what modern day rucking looks like, and it works, it ‘could’ be a real point of difference. If all three are playing and in form, forgetting Naughton, Marra or Bruce. How many clubs have the depth of athletic giants to cover them all? I’m not many can. But theory is one thing, how they are coached and moved on game day, and how team mates use them to maximum advantage is the key. If Darcy was to go into defence, each third of the ground would have a 205cm+ dogs target who unlike previous decades, are all afel quality.

I’m still in the camp of playing one genuine ruck, but I’m happy to see if the theory turns into something more interesting.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 07:38 PM
You're right Swoop. I was wrong to doubt the trade.

Now that you are on the "Best. Trade. Ever" train you get to wipe all your doubts.

Twodogs
16-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Is it as simple as;

At stoppages English and Lobb are at best competitive in seeking to win hit outs, perhaps losing more then they win. But in most other aspects, we expect their athleticism, mobility, height, marking, goal kicking, ability to drop back in defence as needed to deliver the team a net gain? Even add Darcy to that list in time. Are we looking to make a bet, that with 3 very agile 205cm+ players that we can exploit opposition rucks and match ups generally to stop ‘LED’ while trying to break even at stoppages?

There’s three AFL quality 205cm+ players potentially running around together. If BevoLade pulls this new vision of what modern day rucking looks like, and it works, it ‘could’ be a real point of difference. If all three are playing and in form, forgetting Naughton, Marra or Bruce. How many clubs have the depth of athletic giants to cover them all? I’m not many can. But theory is one thing, how they are coached and moved on game day, and how team mates use them to maximum advantage is the key. If Darcy was to go into defence, each third of the ground would have a 205cm+ dogs target who unlike previous decades, are all afel quality.

I’m still in the camp of playing one genuine ruck, but I’m happy to see if the theory turns into something more interesting.

What's LED?

*Edit* Lobb, English, Darcy. I worked it out the moment I pressed the post button

bulldogtragic
16-10-2022, 07:44 PM
What's LED?

*Edit* Lobb, English, Darcy. I worked it out the moment I pressed the post button

Trying increase my typing efficiency.

I went with LED. Bit catchier than other mixed.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 07:02 PM
Rory is off to a good start :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgN8kHRUAAANadF?format=jpg&name=large

Grantysghost
29-10-2022, 07:15 PM
Those are the world's biggest hands.

https://youtu.be/bSL4cmFW_GU

bulldogtragic
29-10-2022, 07:17 PM
Marra looks bloody tiny... Lobb looks like a dead set monster. Not just height (we know), but he's way more than an axe handle wide at the shoulders. Almost Stewy Loewe size buckets too.

Happy Days
29-10-2022, 08:41 PM
Buckets Lobb

jazzadogs
29-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Those are the world's biggest hands.

https://youtu.be/bSL4cmFW_GU

Did you see the picture of Cody Weightman with Shaquille O'Neal? Now THOSE are the world's biggest hands.

Grantysghost
29-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Did you see the picture of Cody Weightman with Shaquille O'Neal? Now THOSE are the world's biggest hands.

Shaq is next level humongous isn't he, crazy.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 09:14 PM
Shaq is next level humongous isn't he, crazy.

Eh. He's not that big.

https://i.postimg.cc/NjzHTYw3/images-34.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
29-10-2022, 09:36 PM
Eh. He's not that big.

https://i.postimg.cc/NjzHTYw3/images-34.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Agreed

https://i.postimg.cc/nV98t3P5/Screenshot-20221029-212830.png (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogtragic
31-10-2022, 10:01 AM
Rory Lobb - By The Numbers

29yo
207cm
106kg

140 Games
143 Goals

Career Highs:

5 Goals
19 Disposals
10 Marks
8 Tackles
45 Hit Outs
150 SuperCoach

Average 1.0 Goals Per Game Career
Average 0.7 Behinds Per Game Career

Roughly 60% Accuracy (Sorry Axe Man couldn't find his total SOG)

Outside of previous 'Home grounds' (including Canberra), his next best venue for personal performance is Docklands. Along with his team performance in 'wins and losses' also being superior at Docklands.

Final Stand Outs:

3 Goals vs Western Bulldogs 2016 Prelim Final
2 Goals vs Western Bulldogs 2022 Elim Final
135 Total Hit Outs across 4 finals - 2017 SF, PF & 2018 EF, SF (nearly 34 average per final)

2022 Competition Rankings:

=19th Total Contested Marks - Dogs 2022 3 Best - Naughton =5th, Bonts 56th, English 63rd
15th Total Marks Inside 50 (14th on average) - Dogs 2022 3 Best - Naughton 12th, Marra 36th, Weightman 49th
6th Time on Ground Percentage Per Game - Dogs 2022 3 Best - Gardner =4th, Keath 40th, B. Smith 56th
=29th Total Goals - Dogs 2022 3 Best - Naughton 11th, =29th Weightman, Bontempellli 54th

26th Total Hitouts - English 12th, Cordy 40th, Naughton 47th, Ugle-Hagan 70th, Bonts 82nd (using a Rolls Royce to 'bush bash')

Notable Games: 2 Goals in EF Final Wins vs Bulldogs, 4.2 Win vs Bulldogs at Docklands, 5.1 Win vs Port Adelaide

Previous Season Top Rankings:

Ranked 10th in Contested Marks Per Game in 2021
Ranked 3rd in Contested Marks Per Game in 2020
Ranked 4th in Time On Ground % Per Game in 2020
Ranked 3rd in Total Contested Marks in 2020
Ranked 7th in Contested Marks Per Game in 2019
Ranked 5th in Total Contested Marks in 2017
Ranked 6th in Contested Marks Per Game in 2017
Ranked 3rd in Contested Marks Per Game in 2016
Ranked 2nd in Total Contested Marks in 2016

What do the numbers tell you?

For me, it says he's a mature and seasoned monster (see photos in the thread above), and that he's an elite contested mark and has been from the get go, despite in recent years getting the best defender. It says he's a fairly reliable and accurate goal kicker. It says despite the energy sapping rucking support he offers, he's so fit that he's still spending a heap of time on field. This should mean that Bevo has a few extra interchange moves to rotate others, perhaps between Marra and Darcy (5th on the bench?) to keep them fresher for longer, more dangerous and have more options to create mis-match match-ups. It says that if required to ruck in big games he can not just compete, but he can rack up big hit out numbers for our mids. And that he likes playing at Docklands from his own performance and team winning performance too.

It says that outside Naughton 'and then daylight to the next best performed player this year up forward' for marks and goals, that Lobb is so very, very comfortably our second best forward. It shows that with Cordy leaving as the '2022 Second Ruck' that there's a MASSIVE MASSSIVE MASSIVE upgrade to the second ruck. It also flows that both Naughton and Marra should spend less time as out 3rd and 4th rucks doing that work, and more time on their actual role and be more dangerous. While Bonts should never be Second Ruck regularly again. While Lobb taking the second best defender leaves Marra with the third tall.

It seems a big coup for the club to get someone to nominate us (doesn't happen very often). For English, Sweet and Darcy, seeing close up how Lobb approaches his own brand of footy with his huge frame and huge athleticsim is a great internal resource for them. Add Brandan Lade to the coaching stocks and you would hope there's a development pay off too. If Lobb and English can stay fit for the three years, then there's no pressure on Darcy to be rushed into the combat of the ruck.

The numbers reinforce this was a good acquisition. The question is how the forward line will structure up, will Lobb be the deep option with lead and mark and give Naughton the licence to roam? Will other forwards create room for each other and not fly for the same footy? How will Lobb be used as a formal Second Ruck and who replaces him while English is on the bench - Does Darcy play as the 5th on the bench as a very flexible and very tall option? Will forward 50 entries work to Lobb's clear advantages?

p.s. Combining his career Hit Outs, Goals, Contested Marks and Tackles across all oppositions (we are second in every category to different oppositions, per category), he as an overall package saves his best footy for the Western Bulldogs. This is an 'Abraham Lincoln Trade', ie "I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends".

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2022, 10:17 AM
Good post.

Lobb is a good player but his value is more in what he can do for our structure, and for the trio of English, Naughton and Marra.

Naughton has had no help for a while. He was a good combo with Bruce in 2021, but I'm hopeful a partnership with Lobb could be even better as their playing styles potentially compliment each other better. Against the better sides, Naughton has struggled a little - a player like Lobb forces the opposition to pay him respect, taking some pressure off Naughton. The key is movement though - create separation. 1-v-1 these two are really hard to stop.

English clearly needs assistance, especially in games when he's offering little. The second ruck position has been an issue forever, now it's a strength, but ironically the first ruck spot is still going to cause us headaches. At least we have a genuine option to swap them.

I'm potentially more excited by what Lobbs inclusion does for Marra. Literally all of Marras better games have been when we've had Naughton and Bruce playing together. We would expect a big improvement from Marra next year but there's no denying playing as the third tall is.more favourable for him than playing as the second key.

If they are fit and in reasonable form, there isn't a side in the comp that can quell all 3 of Naughton, Lobb and Marra.

Now we just need a genuine crumber.....

azabob
31-10-2022, 11:22 AM
I've said it a few times but his TOG% is very impressive and would've been a key consideration in chasing him.

F'scary
31-10-2022, 01:43 PM
I have really warmed to this recruitment.

Stevo
31-10-2022, 04:51 PM
I've said it a few times but his TOG% is very impressive and would've been a key consideration in chasing him.

He always seems to be fit enough and maybe that Fremantle don't overuse him in the ruck helps keep him on the ground longer.
He should provide some match-up problems for other teams.

GVGjr
31-10-2022, 06:12 PM
He always seems to be fit enough and maybe that Fremantle don't overuse him in the ruck helps keep him on the ground longer.
He should provide some match-up problems for other teams.

I think the good part about adding him is that he won't have to be the number one forward for us like he probably was for Fremantle and Naughton will draw the oppositions best defender. If he can produce his 2022 form next season for us he will make a big impact.