PDA

View Full Version : My observations from today's game...

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Firstly, what a fantastic feeling it is to smell blood and actually kill a game right off and give the opposition no chance of winning!!

Lots of things stood out today and while I totally understand that the opposition was poor but they are only as good as we allowed them to be...

I hear people talk about Akas kicking, but i reckon that Gilbee's kicking, creative streak and spacial awareness is breathtaking and he puts aka in his back pocket everytime.

Aka is a confidence player and up until the 3rd he only had one handball. Johno gave him a goal at the start of the third and he went on to kick another two and probably should of had 6 by the end.

The composure of Josh hill is what impresses me the most. For all the high jumping and excitement he generates, it means nothing if you haven't got footy smarts, his compose under duress today was outstanding. His seconds efforts after going up for a mark and keeping his feet, lika snooker player he was spoiling the ball and bringing it down each time to his or a team mates advantage.... you can't teach that!!! I refer next to Addison.

Addison is as tough as they come, his tackling and pressure was first class, he chased down everything and contined to put his life in danger every contest. He also gets alot of it and is ok overhead. But, he has absolutely no idea what to do with the basll when he gets it, none what so ever and it undoes all of his hard work.... He hasn't got that footy brain and I simply don't know f that can be coached into him.

Adam cooney's tackling and harrassing haS BEEN first class. We all know what he can do with the ball but it's been withot the ball where Cooney has struggled. He seems to be learning how to break a tag and his tackling is just ferocious. Big improvement and i expect him to be an elite by 09.

Daniel Hargrave is only player that still concerns me, his desicion making is horrible and wasted the ball alot today. It' been ongoing for him and I just wish that he can get his head right, he is a good player who at times semms not to care very much about the contest.

Minson is really struggling. Yes he is trying and doing a lot of bullocking work, but he is simply not contributing nearly enough to the scoreboard or the ruck. I' ll reserve my judgement till the end of the year.

Ben Hudson's second efforts are unbelievable..... He is just in everything. His ability to get down low and generate a second effort allows our midfielders to jump straight in after him and creat a stoppage rather than just a quick takeaway for the opposition. I think our stoppage still need a lot of work.

Overall our competitivness and hardness has improved out of sight. I heard Robert walls say that the dogs are simply not getting pushed off the ball anymore and thay are standing up in tackles... I noticed this and commented today about our feircness even when we were miles ahead and how we styed on our feet even under pressure... We simply could not do this last year.....

The biggest challenge comes next week. A big side with big forwards, hard running and great defensively, if we have improved from last and these last two weeks were not a fluke, we have to stand up to the Saints and hit them for 4 quarters....

T

Go_Dogs
29-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Daniel Hargrave is only player that still concerns me, his desicion making is horrible and wasted the ball alot today. It' been ongoing for him and I just wish that he can get his head right, he is a good player who at times semms not to care very much about the contest.

Ryan, even? :D I think you must be pretty excited and wrote a little too quickly! Haha

I agree with you on 2 points re: Addison and Hargrave though. Addison really improved as the game went on with his attack, marking and also positioning - if you see the replays quite often he was involved in a quick couple of handballs in the stoppage situations and looked ok - although not always hitting the target he moved the ball forward more often than not. His decision making when he has time and space though, is pretty ordinary, and of course also in some pressure situations. I think he needs to be confident enough to take the first option more often, and if he doesn't he needs the composure to do the Morris thing and go backwards or sideways or whatever and maintain possession for the team once he's won the contested ball.

I was a little critical of Hargrave's disposal but thought he ran well and we know he can be better than he was. He needs a big game next week against the Saints most definitely and could be handed a pretty big job.

always right
29-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Firstly, what a fantastic feeling it is to smell blood and actually kill a game right off and give the opposition no chance of winning!!

Lots of things stood out today and while I totally understand that the opposition was poor but they are only as good as we allowed them to be...

I hear people talk about Akas kicking, but i reckon that Gilbee's kicking, creative streak and spacial awareness is breathtaking and he puts aka in his back pocket everytime.

Aka is a confidence player and up until the 3rd he only had one handball. Johno gave him a goal at the start of the third and he went on to kick another two and probably should of had 6 by the end.

The composure of Josh hill is what impresses me the most. For all the high jumping and excitement he generates, it means nothing if you haven't got footy smarts, his compose under duress today was outstanding. His seconds efforts after going up for a mark and keeping his feet, lika snooker player he was spoiling the ball and bringing it down each time to his or a team mates advantage.... you can't teach that!!! I refer next to Addison.

Addison is as tough as they come, his tackling and pressure was first class, he chased down everything and contined to put his life in danger every contest. He also gets alot of it and is ok overhead. But, he has absolutely no idea what to do with the basll when he gets it, none what so ever and it undoes all of his hard work.... He hasn't got that footy brain and I simply don't know f that can be coached into him.

Adam cooney's tackling and harrassing haS BEEN first class. We all know what he can do with the ball but it's been withot the ball where Cooney has struggled. He seems to be learning how to break a tag and his tackling is just ferocious. Big improvement and i expect him to be an elite by 09.

Minson is really struggling. Yes he is trying and doing a lot of bullocking work, but he is simply not contributing nearly enough to the scoreboard or the ruck. I' ll reserve my judgement till the end of the year.

Ben Hudson's second efforts are unbelievable..... He is just in everything. His ability to get down low and generate a second effort allows our midfielders to jump straight in after him and creat a stoppage rather than just a quick takeaway for the opposition. I think our stoppage still need a lot of work.

Overall our competitivness and hardness has improved out of sight. I heard Robert walls say that the dogs are simply not getting pushed off the ball anymore and thay are standing up in tackles... I noticed this and commented today about our feircness even when we were miles ahead and how we styed on our feet even under pressure... We simply could not do this last year.....

The biggest challenge comes next week. A big side with big forwards, hard running and great defensively, if we have improved from last and these last two weeks were not a fluke, we have to stand up to the Saints and hit them for 4 quarters....

T

Disagree on two fronts. Firstly...Addison played his best game in his short career. Not just his hardness and tackling which is always first class, but his ability to find the ball and what he did with it was a quantum leap from what we've seen so far. Nothing wrong with his disposal today...let's hope it's the beginning of bigger and better things.

The second point is Minson. Didn't have the greatest game today but he is playing a strong second ruckman role. Certainly deserves his position and is well ahead of Street IMO. Keep playing him and he will get better playing in tandem with Hudson who so far has proven to be a great recruit.

Dancin' Douggy
29-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Personally I thought Minson was great today. He just creates havoc and fear. He ploughed through one Melbourne player and it was like watching an autumn leaf go through a mulcher. Some of his tapwork was brilliant and he just goes so hard. He's still a wild young colt but I see him as a long term RUCKMAN for us. He's only really playing as a forward because we're desperate and I think he's doing as good as can be expected. He is a genuine warrior. Go Big Will

LostDoggy
29-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Big Will, Good. would be happy for him to do what he did today every game.
Addison played well for what stage he is at, he will improve... if not no dout he wont last long.. but he has come along way from where he was at when he had hes first few games.
Hargrave i have been disappointed in some of the things he does.
Im not really sure about Ryan, but i hope he can get to his best footy this year..
The Bulldogs have started well this year.. could be a good one for the sons of the west. *fingers crossed*

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Disagree on two fronts. Firstly...Addison played his best game in his short career. Not just his hardness and tackling which is always first class, but his ability to find the ball and what he did with it was a quantum leap from what we've seen so far. Nothing wrong with his disposal today...let's hope it's the beginning of bigger and better things.

The second point is Minson. Didn't have the greatest game today but he is playing a strong second ruckman role. Certainly deserves his position and is well ahead of Street IMO. Keep playing him and he will get better playing in tandem with Hudson who so far has proven to be a great recruit.

Are you saying that Addison's disposal and decison making was good yesterday? i watched closely and thought it needs a lot of work. thats not to say that he wont improve but right now it needs works, having said that, he gets a lot of it and he will have more practice at it.

1eyedog
30-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Are you saying that Addison's disposal and decison making was good yesterday? i watched closely and thought it needs a lot of work. thats not to say that he wont improve but right now it needs works, having said that, he gets a lot of it and he will have more practice at it.

Not good but certainly better, a little. It was more his enthusiasm for the ball which was good. A couple of handballs once again only went halfway to his team mates, as if he was in two minds.

ledge
30-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I went to game and just watched replay on fox, Melbourne do not give us anything to be competitive with and yes we did everything to win by what was expected after their last game.
Great for player confidence and supporters, the way the press went on about Hawthorn last week, does that make us a premiership favourite too?
Being flat as a supporter after the game? funny i mentioned it to a freind after the game,and we agreed as yes its great to win like that and know you can, but i think Adelaides game was more satisfying and made us play good footy under pressure.
Our chasing was outstanding in both games so far and its great to see it as that is a very mentally switched on attitude to never giving up.
We have a great mix of seniors , mid age and juniors now and i am happy that its not the same old players in our best, thats also a sign of everyone having ago and knowing we are good enough.
We definitely have our confidence and mojo back and i believe its a bit more stronger than 2006.
The weight sessions and body building has paid off and you can see it already with blokes like Griffen, Minson and Wight breaking tackles.
I did see Hill get hit and the opposition bounce off him , so he knows how to use his body even if he is slight.
Well done dogs and lets keep the momentum going , saints will be a test but if they play like they did last night we will defeat them with no problem.

G-Mo77
30-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Personally I thought Minson was great today. He just creates havoc and fear. He ploughed through one Melbourne player and it was like watching an autumn leaf go through a mulcher. Some of his tapwork was brilliant and he just goes so hard. He's still a wild young colt but I see him as a long term RUCKMAN for us. He's only really playing as a forward because we're desperate and I think he's doing as good as can be expected. He is a genuine warrior. Go Big Will

Agreed. I don't know what game you were watching TAMA? I guess some supporters just have certain players in their headlights which is probably why Addison still got a spray after yesterday's great performance.

I also don't know what game that half wit Gary Lyon was watching as he gave Big Will 1 vote in the 3 worst players. :eek: IDIOT!!!!

hujsh
30-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Agreed. I don't know what game you were watching TAMA? I guess some supporters just have certain players in their headlights which is probably why Addison still got a spray after yesterday's great performance.

I also don't know what game that half wit Gary Lyon was watching as he gave Big Will 1 vote in the 3 worst players. :eek: IDIOT!!!!

Lyon would have had a quick squiz at the stats and seen Minson and thought that'll do

LostDoggy
30-03-2008, 04:25 PM

I'm not spraying him at all, if you read my post you would of seen that I applauded many of his attributes, his defensive game is one of the best in the team, his courage is unmatched and his ability to find the ball is good, all I said id that he needs to work harder on his disposal skills and making better decisions under duress.... That's hardly a spray.

As for Minson, we won by 100 points and still didn't have any sort of influence. You can say what you want about minson's bashing and crashing, truth is, is did very little in 4 quarters other than give Hudson a rest in the ruck.

G-Mo77
30-03-2008, 05:29 PM

I'd hate to see what you say about him after a bad game, he played his best game at the club yesterday. If that is not a spary well I come from a different planet.

As for Minson, we won by 100 points and still didn't have any sort of influence. You can say what you want about minson's bashing and crashing, truth is, is did very little in 4 quarters other than give Hudson a rest in the ruck.

OK so what is the answer then bring Peter Street in? I don't think so! Minson knows his role and is playing it well he brings a strong presence on the field makes a contest and his tap work has actually been quite good so far which has surprised me that is all that is needed and that is what he is doing.

Lyon would have had a quick squiz at the stats and seen Minson and thought that'll do

Yeah that sounds like Gary Lyon to me. :)

Sockeye Salmon
30-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Would have thought Lyon would have had about 20 Melbourne players to worry about.

Mantis
30-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Poor work TAMA.

Your comments, as others have pointed out were extremely harsh on Addison and Minson.

Please don't waste our time with such mis-judged rants because if I want them I will head over to BF.

always right
30-03-2008, 10:19 PM
For what it's worth, Champion Data had Addison's disposals at 84% efficiency. I'll take that every week from Addison if he keeps racking up disposals like he did on Saturday. They weren't rubbish disposals either. Credit where credit's due....now he needs to back it up again next week.

Dancin' Douggy
30-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Poor work TAMA.

Your comments, as others have pointed out were extremely harsh on Addison and Minson.

Please don't waste our time with such mis-judged rants because if I want them I will head over to BF.

I know I wrote a post defending Minson but I've got to stick up for TAMA. I don't think he was really being that harsh.

always right
30-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I know I wrot a post defending Minson but I've got to stick up for TAMA. I donm't think he was really being that harsh.

I don't mind him criticising Addison and Minson. The point is, he was just plain wrong....particularly in Addison's case. I know it's just his opinion but his opinion was bullshit.:)

Dancin' Douggy
30-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't mind him criticising Addison and Minson. The point is, he was just plain wrong....particularly in Addison's case. I know it's just his opinion but his opinion was bullshit.:)

Wrong?...........Maybe.
Harsh?........No. He spent a lot of his post praising Addison.
Fair enough to disagree with him bit I don't think it was a harsh attack.

always right
30-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Wrong?...........Maybe.
Harsh?........No. He spent a lot of his post praising Addison.
Fair enough to disagree with him bit I don't think it was a harsh attack.

But, he has absolutely no idea what to do with the basll when he gets it, none what so ever and it undoes all of his hard work.... He hasn't got that footy brain and I simply don't know f that can be coached into him.

Sorry....harsh and wrong. Perhaps a reasonable observation based on previous games but not last Saturday.

Mofra
30-03-2008, 11:47 PM
OK so what is the answer then bring Peter Street in? I don't think so! Minson knows his role and is playing it well he brings a strong presence on the field makes a contest and his tap work has actually been quite good so far which has surprised me that is all that is needed and that is what he is doing.
Minson has been combining beautifully with Cooney in the centre, a couple of centre breaks were due entirely to teh undertsanding they have together.

Minson also had some brilliant second efforts that helped spill the ball to our advantage, and led the side in tackles. The shrugged tackle in the last quarter to set up a Bulldog shot on goal was just brillaint.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Poor work TAMA.

haha chill out dude....

it's just my opinion, you're welcome not to read it if it offends you. I think Addison is fantastic and I love watching him play, his ferociousness is wha tour club needs... all I made comment on is what I think he needs to develop in his game, perhaps I worded it wrong, i'll turn it down next time.

it was a long post post with plenty of positives, care to focus on any of that, perhaps??

Go_Dogs
31-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm going to have to side with TAMA on this one. I don't think he was overly negative - perhaps a little - however I agree with him that Addison still has a lot of work to do. It was w/o doubt his best game for the club, however against a better opposition he won't get away with the skill errors and decision making errors he made on the weekend that were often made to look good by our other players and a pretty damn poor Melbourne side. His ball use was definitely better than it has been, but let's not get carried away on the back of one performance and ignore the fact that he still turned the ball over more than he should and has a lot of improvement left.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 10:57 AM
There were a number of centre bounces on Saturday when Minson lost his timing completely and simply ran into the opposition ruckman unable to make an attempt at palming the ball. This was especially the case against White.

Ozza
31-03-2008, 01:48 PM

I agree with these points. I can't claim to have been an Addison fan so far - but he had a good game this week and will benefit from the confidence derived from this game.
Minson and Hudson is a really good combination for us. Having Minson up forward means that our crumbers get involved as he can bring it to the ground - even if he's not a great pack marker.

I thought earlier posts have been harsh on Hargrave also. I think his use of the ball and run from defence is quite good. He's never going to be a star - but has many admirable qualities.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 01:57 PM
II thought earlier posts have been harsh on Hargrave also. I think his use of the ball and run from defence is quite good. He's never going to be a star - but has many admirable qualities.

With Hargrave, His use of the ball has always been good, he has excellent timing and know when to leave his opponent and chop out, I think I was referring to his overall manner. he can be too relaxed and make wrong choices, however, he is a far better footballer these days and I can see thast he puts much more effort in. he has come a long way from a few years back when he was very inconsistent.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 01:59 PM
There were a number of centre bounces on Saturday when Minson lost his timing completely and simply ran into the opposition ruckman unable to make an attempt at palming the ball. This was especially the case against White.

Agree. I think most people see the two nice palm downs and tend to not look at the countless times he jumped and missed the ball completely. Wil still needs a lot of work and Im just not sure about him

hujsh
31-03-2008, 02:47 PM

That's not a new thing with Minson but he's not the only ruckman to do it. He's doing it less though and we can only ask that he continues to improve

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 05:42 PM
and we can only ask that he continues to improve

Absolutely.... I'd like nothing better than to see the big fella dominate the centre bounces for the next 200 games...

ledge
31-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Minson is a great competitor and uses his body very well, if only he can start holding those marks up forward, his positioning and body use in getting there is excellent, but he just cant seem to hang on for that split second longer for the umpires to declare a mark.
But im in no doubt once he starts holding them other clubs will start worrying about him big time.
Wouldnt be surprised to see him hold them in one game and maybe kick 4 or 5 as he is so close now to getting his forward work right.
It only takes 1 game to click and then he will have confidence and know it is possible.
I can see why Eade is persisting with him up forward because i think Eade can see it too.
I would like to also mention that i think Barnes has a bit to do with this, dont underestimate Barnes as a ruck coach and his body positioning teachings.

mjp
31-03-2008, 06:19 PM
The Hudson-Minson 1-2 punch is working pretty well at the moment...and if they can create some physical havoc in the centre square this week - dont worry about the forward line - then they will again help put us in a competitive position.

Minson as a forward is not really working, but is he a worse option down there as a marking target than Darcy or Hahn were last year? Not really. And like ledge says, it is not completely impossible that he might eventually even mark one. I am not su sure about 'kicking four or five' thing, but 1-2 marks a game and a goal as a backup ruckman resting forward would not be a disaster.

Cyberdoggie
31-03-2008, 06:26 PM
The Hudson-Minson 1-2 punch is working pretty well at the moment...and if they can create some physical havoc in the centre square this week - dont worry about the forward line - then they will again help put us in a competitive position.

Minson as a forward is not really working, but is he a worse option down there as a marking target than Darcy or Hahn were last year? Not really. And like ledge says, it is not completely impossible that he might eventually even mark one. I am not su sure about 'kicking four or five' thing, but 1-2 marks a game and a goal as a backup ruckman resting forward would not be a disaster.

i think he's really close to grabbing a few of them.

he's just fumbling them at the moment.

i also think that when he's up there he is also creating goals by just knocking defenders over at the marking contest.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Minson marked inside 50 early in the first quarter last week and passed to Johnno who missed.
If he is going to play FF then most set shots from inside 50 he has to kick himself. It didn't do his confidence any good.

LostDoggy
31-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I guess your point about the 2nd ruck makes a lot of sense, he does try hard and hit hard, so even if we don't get the ball at least he'll be a presence.

I think it's more up forward that I worry.

The players seem to ignore him and he puts his head down very quickly.... A player who is trying to develop just has to pick his head up and keep running, keep presenting, the more opportunities he gets to get the ball i his hands the better he will be. His skills need wok, right now the players don't have a lot of confidence in him nor does he have confidence in himself....

Will strikes me as a player that feeds off confidence and needs to do a few things right before he gets a move on