PDA

View Full Version : AFLW R5 Game Day: Bulldogs v North Melbourne @ Punt Rd

SonofScray
21-09-2022, 01:38 AM
Round 5 Friday 23 September
WESTERN BULLDOGS v NTH MELBOURNE
12:40pm
Swinburne Centre (PUNT RD OVAL)

Girls are on a hot streak and will play a home game at Punt Rd this Friday 23rd at 12:40PM. A bit going on in town that day for GF week celebrations and with the GF eve public holiday, and school holidays, what better opportunity to get behind them?

North are 2-2 and have been in the mix in most of their games, so you’d expect a hot contest. To go 5 straight would be a fantastic start and our girls certainly look capable. They are a really united group, being lead well and playing some joyful, tenacious footy.

Lynch, Edmonds, Lamb, Ellie and Gabby are all playing well and showing strong leadership on their patch.

Who’s going?

josie
21-09-2022, 07:50 AM
I think I’ll be able to go. Should be a ripper.

jazzadogs
21-09-2022, 09:07 AM
I'm hoping to get to my first game for the season, the other times just haven't quite worked for me.

Excited to see our fierce women play.

Georgostathis was a late withdrawal last week so should probably come back in at the expense of one of the younger players, which is a good in. She was excellent in the earlier 2022 season.

Lamb has been on fire - 30 coaches votes from her last 3 games I read!!

bornadog
21-09-2022, 10:11 AM
I think I’ll be able to go. Should be a ripper.

I will be there

Prince Imperial
21-09-2022, 11:33 AM
I intend to go. It will be my first match of this season.

SonofScray
21-09-2022, 01:12 PM
I intend to go. It will be my first match of this season.

Likewise. I didn’t miss a game for the first few seasons until sports commitments, then Covid and digital tickets etc soured me a little. My daughter loved going, she was successfully brainwashed early on, but COVID has really put a dent in her passion for footy. Stopped doing Auskick, in favour of extra sessions of soccer (which is fine, I love taking her to W League etc) and hasn’t shown much interest outside of knowing the Dogs are our team.

She wants to go this week, so going to make a big day of it and see if we can spark up that passion as a supporter again.

jazzadogs
21-09-2022, 01:31 PM
Also thanks SoS for getting another gameday thread up

Flamethrower
21-09-2022, 02:12 PM
My family is planning on making a triple header out of it on Friday...
Doggies v North
Pies v Dons to see Jordy Membrey (great mates with my daughter)
Hawks v Swannies to see Laura Elliott, Charlotte Baskaran and Montana Ham who I know through Point Cook Centrals (Laura) and the Western Jets (all 3).

josie
21-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Doggies v North
Hawks v Swannies to see Laura Elliott, Charlotte Baskaran and Montana Ham who I know through Point Cook Centrals (Laura) and the Western Jets (all 3).

Standard of AFLW has improved out of sight. What a great day for you and your family.

Flamethrower
21-09-2022, 02:26 PM
And it's only going to get better as the girls I watch on a regular basis in the WRFL, EDFL and with the Western Jets break into the AFLW.

Axe Man
21-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Doggies v North

Keep an eye out for number 13 for the bombers, Lilly-Rose Williamson. She's a mates daughter who was added to the list late and made an impressive debut last weekend v the Tigers. I was hoping that the Dogs would sign her.

1eyedog
21-09-2022, 05:02 PM
I'll be there this Friday for sure.

bornadog
21-09-2022, 05:05 PM
I just worked out even if you have a digital membership, you have to go to Ticketmaster to down load an entry ticket. I have no idea where my barcode is so I just purchased a $10 ticket.

SonofScray
21-09-2022, 06:28 PM
I just worked out even if you have a digital membership, you have to go to Ticketmaster to down load an entry ticket. I have no idea where my barcode is so I just purchased a $10 ticket.

I tweeted them and apparently you can use your barcode, but I cross referenced an email from earlier in the year and opted to go via Ticketmaster, just to be safe.

bornadog
21-09-2022, 06:42 PM
I tweeted them and apparently you can use your barcode, but I cross referenced an email from earlier in the year and opted to go via Ticketmaster, just to be safe.

I can't find a barcode. My physical membership has a QR code not a barcode.

Doesn't matter now.

jazzadogs
22-09-2022, 12:31 AM
Article from Bulldogs website
(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1225662/feature-undefeated-start-for-excitable-pups)
4-0. Second on the ladder. Momentum.

It is the summary of the first four rounds of the AFLW Bulldogs season and make no mistake, this team is building.

A side full of youth and fun - with an average age of just 22 years old - the persona taken on from the squad has built into game days, trainings and off field.

The leaders have fuelled success to begin the season. Skipper Ellie Blackburn has been as consistent as ever averaging 20 touches, alongside Kirsty Lamb averaging 19.8 disposals.

Whenever the two stand at the centre bounce, you feel the Bulldogs are moments away from propelling the ball forward, while you just have to look at the final moments of the Fremantle victory to see the commitment of Lamb.

Gabby Newton has returned in a new role, playing as a key forward and leading the goal tally thus far. Imposing herself on the game regularly, as if she had been forward of the ball her whole life.

We can’t forget the young brigade that have brought a sense of excitement to the line-up.

Early draft pick Rylie Wilcox has a Rising Star nomination already and has played every minute with a smile on her face. She’s one for the future, but her impact is as vital now.

Alice Edmonds could make a case for the most improved player across the competition. Moving into the ruck full-time she has amassed 30 hit-outs per game, a competition high. Her elevation to elite has allowed for midfield dominance, and she’s only getting better.

Isabelle Pritchard has taken the next step in her career, playing midfield minutes and averaging 17 disposals, three clearances and four score involvements a game.

Isabella Grant has been calm and composed out of the backline, showing maturity beyond her years, while Jess Fitzgerald continues to grow, and show why she was selected at pick two.

Intercept queens Katie Lynch and Eleanor Brown have developed into vital cogs in the back half, marking the ball at will and using their left to pinpoint targets.

You don’t win women’s flags in September but this run of form shows two things; a bright future and a chance at the here and now.

SonofScray
22-09-2022, 06:59 PM
Team here: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1226110/aflw-team-round-5?fbclid=IwAR2iPjw1qENPjJm99WaeP-lPAfAJFbtafRdVi1ARKBi_YiSSIz5EPF3QYYs

Georgostathis back in, after missing last game as a late withdrawal.

bornadog
22-09-2022, 10:18 PM
Friday 23 September, 12.40pm AEST

Swinburne Centre (Punt Road Oval), Wurundjeri Country

B: I Grant, K Lynch
HB: N Ferres, E Brown, S Hartwig
C: I Pritchard, J Fitzgerald, R Wilcox
HF: D Berry, R Cranston, H Woodley
F: G Newton, C Moody
R: A Edmonds, E Blackburn, K Lamb

Int: N Morris-Dalton, G Lagioia, E Georgostathis, E Bennetts, B Hunt

Emer: K Coyne, B Vernon, M Brown

IN: E. Georgostahis

OUT: K. Coyne (omitted)

mjp
23-09-2022, 08:50 AM
I'm in Melbourne.

Never seen a 'real' game at Punt Rd.

Going to try (very hard) to get there.

bornadog
23-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Grant is becoming a top player and leads the stats at half time. Her intercepting has been a feature. We need to be a lot cleaner by hand and also hold our marks

josie
23-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Grant is becoming a top player and leads the stats at half time. Her intercepting has been a feature. We need to be a lot cleaner by hand and also hold our marks

Agree, and better entry in F50. Quicker and Deeper, or handball/run it in as North are intercepting almost all our F50 entries.

Testekill
23-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Disappointing that whoever was wearing 16 couldn't stick that tackle, just bounced off of the North player.

bornadog
23-09-2022, 02:58 PM
1 goal lead to North at 3/4 time.

I can’t work out which the wind is blowing

jazzadogs
23-09-2022, 03:03 PM
Great to see us in the mix against a good team. Hopefully we can come away with the win.

Our coast to coast goal finished by Wilcox was excellent.

josie
23-09-2022, 03:33 PM
Good effort. North were better in last quarter-more composed. Next week girls. Kirsty’s poster was a bit unlucky. Wilcox a star in the making.

SonofScray
23-09-2022, 04:13 PM
One completely non productive quarter cost us. Nth to their credit beat us aerially, which has been our strength.

Punt Rd sold out but it’s not a great ground for us, maybe the small clubs, but not a big club like us.

Testekill
23-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Eventually had to lose one, just have to identify what they did right and what we did wrong and then bounce back.

bornadog
23-09-2022, 04:17 PM
They were a little tall for us in the backline, but overall, we had our chances and fluffed it.

Prince Imperial
23-09-2022, 04:45 PM
One completely non productive quarter cost us. Nth to their credit beat us aerially, which has been our strength.

Punt Rd sold out but it’s not a great ground for us, maybe the small clubs, but not a big club like us.

The ground is absolutely crap for spectators. The grandstand side of the ground was closed for most fans and the small shallow hill on the outer made it hard to see for kids and shorter folks (luckily not me!). Facilities such as toilets were poor.

Thank goodness it will be the only time we ever play a home match there. I know there are plans to rebuild the ancient Dyer stand but most of the outer is hemmed up again Punt Rd, Brunton Avenue and a giant admin building.

It's in a central location but it will always be a mediocre venue.

A lot of people were turned away from the ground and in a time where there are real concerns about declining crowds for women's football, it was another failure by Livingstone and the AFLW in scheduling this match there on a public holiday when grounds like Carlton and even Port Melbourne have much better facilities and viewing for fans.

bornadog
23-09-2022, 04:49 PM
The ground is absolutely crap for spectators. The grandstand side of the ground was closed for most fans and the small shallow hill on the outer made it hard to see for kids and shorter folks (luckily not me!). Facilities such as toilets were poor.

Thank goodness it will be the only time we ever play a home match there. I know there are plans to rebuild the ancient Dyer stand but most of the outer is hemmed up again Punt Rd, Brunton Avenue and a giant admin building.

It's in a central location but it will always be a mediocre venue.

A lot of people were turned away from the ground and in a time where there are real concerns about declining crowds for women's football, it was another failure by Livingstone and the AFLW in scheduling this match there on a public holiday when grounds like Carlton and even Port Melbourne have much better facilities and viewing for fans.

Also difficult to see the scoreborad if you are facing the ground and the board is to your right. Branches of a gum tree hide the view

josie
23-09-2022, 05:26 PM
Poor fan experience for a lot of the crowd. They had so many punt road helpers and none of it was very effective. I had to access ticket from dogs’ tent, entered via closest gate then at quarter time leave ground and walk right around through boggy ground to access seated area in one of the little grandstand areas. Then at end of game we had to wait an inordinate amount of time until after dogs players went up race (considerably more then 5 min before they even started going up race and then a delay after they’d already passed by). Poorly managed.

Still, the rain held off until after the match so count my blessings there. Consoled myself with a baguette and danishes to take home. And saw a delightful kookaburra in gardens on my way home. A good day despite the loss.

1eyedog
23-09-2022, 05:37 PM
Disappointing that whoever was wearing 16 couldn't stick that tackle, just bounced off of the North player.

Ferris a solid player.

That shithole of a ground was a joke. Lock out at half time, no seating, no views for kids and everyone jammed into about 30% of the ground.

Treating us like Buffoons.

bornadog
23-09-2022, 05:40 PM
Ferris a solid player.

That shithole of a ground was a joke. Lock out at half time, no seating, no views for kids and everyone jammed into about 30% of the ground.

Treating us like Buffoons.

Just as bad at VFL games. Not sure why they schedule any games there as it is basically a training ground

SonofScray
23-09-2022, 05:50 PM
Just as bad at VFL games. Not sure why they schedule any games there as it is basically a training ground

I’m not keen on taking my daughter there again, we were lucky to find a milk crate today so she could see over the seemingly 7 foot tall fence.

Prince Imperial
23-09-2022, 07:46 PM

Tigez a big club being looked after by the AFLW. It actually gives me some pleasure knowing Brennan and Conti have to play all their home games in this poxy dunghole in front of tiny crowds.

Prince Imperial
23-09-2022, 07:52 PM
It's another reason why expansion has occurred far too quickly. Clubs should not have been admitted to the competition without having decent grounds for fans.

jazzadogs
23-09-2022, 08:27 PM
It's another reason why expansion has occurred far too quickly. Clubs should not have been admitted to the competition without having decent grounds for fans.

It's also about the clubs disrespecting and underestimating their aflw fans. I don't know why any club in an elite competition would ever play at a ground with a capacity of 2,500!!!

jazzadogs
23-09-2022, 08:32 PM
Highlight of the match was definitely our coast to coast goal finishing with Wilcox in the goal square.

Definitely lacked the aerial dominance we have had, which stopped us controlling possession for periods as we have been doing.

SonofScray
23-09-2022, 08:57 PM
Highlight of the match was definitely our coast to coast goal finishing with Wilcox in the goal square.

Definitely lacked the aerial dominance we have had, which stopped us controlling possession for periods as we have been doing.
Best play of the day. Ellie and Wilcox almost lit the spark late to steal the game too.

Prince Imperial
23-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Official crowd: 2121.

Turning to the match itself, our forwards struggled to mark the ball or win many contests and Norths core star group (particularly Garner and Bruton) were collectively too good.

Lynch had another fine game and was easily best afield for us I thought.

I'm not expecting too many changes for our next game which is going to be a hard one against a much improved Geelong. Bateman or Coyne in for Lagioia (who is struggling at the level) in a half forward role is what I expect.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-09-2022, 10:53 PM
Also difficult to see the scoreborad if you are facing the ground and the board is to your right. Branches of a gum tree hide the view

You think a cashed up club like the tigers could afford an arborist.

HOSE B ROMERO
23-09-2022, 10:58 PM
Poor fan experience for a lot of the crowd. They had so many punt road helpers and none of it was very effective. I had to access ticket from dogs’ tent, entered via closest gate then at quarter time leave ground and walk right around through boggy ground to access seated area in one of the little grandstand areas. Then at end of game we had to wait an inordinate amount of time until after dogs players went up race (considerably more then 5 min before they even started going up race and then a delay after they’d already passed by). Poorly managed.

Still, the rain held off until after the match so count my blessings there. Consoled myself with a baguette and danishes to take home. And saw a delightful kookaburra in gardens on my way home. A good day despite the loss.
Unlikely to see this in a write up after a game at Marvel.... cheers josie!

HOSE B ROMERO
23-09-2022, 11:08 PM
Just watched the replay.

I thought Lynch and Grant held up well at the back.
Our kicking into the forward line was fairly ordinary at times. Didn't really give Newton, Moody and Cranston much of a chance.
i liked the games of Bennetts and Edmonds.
The dynamic duo gave their all as usual.
Fitzy drops out of the action at times and her disposal can let her down but still very young.

I'm sure Burkey will tell them not to drop their heads and that they were right in the match till late. Had such a great start to the season that it's important to bounce back with the four points against the cats. Go Dogs.

mjp
24-09-2022, 08:53 AM
I went.

Despite the supposed sell-out I was able to purchase tix on the train on the way to the ground.

There were two entrances, but seemingly only one in operation...it was quite strange. No queue to get in once we got to the 'correct' gate.

The viewing experience is - if anything - being understated on this forum. You quite literally could not see the game - well...you could see 'bits'. It was annoying. Then the drinks stand closed half-way through the last...when can you not buy a bottle of water? How hard is it? Seriously, the spectators OUTSIDE the ground had better viewing than those inside...at least there was a bollard behind the fence that they could stand on.

The game? Both teams try pretty hard. I'm battling with the AFLW so far this season and yesterday sort of reinforced that. Great effort is amazing when you are able to develop a personal connection to the players...as I noted in the off-season, all the player movement has broken some of that for me and now, well, some of it (as I prepared to be placed in the stocks) is simply bad footy.

I'm only in town for a few days and am glad I got to go along and support the girls but watching footy at Punt Rd is not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

SonofScray
24-09-2022, 09:47 AM
The game? Both teams try pretty hard. I'm battling with the AFLW so far this season and yesterday sort of reinforced that. Great effort is amazing when you are able to develop a personal connection to the players...as I noted in the off-season, all the player movement has broken some of that for me and now, well, some of it (as I prepared to be placed in the stocks) is simply bad footy.

I'm only in town for a few days and am glad I got to go along and support the girls but watching footy at Punt Rd is not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

The prerequisite for avoiding the stocks is showing up and engaging. You’re in a safe space!

Agree with your point about connection with the players, the movement has hurt and this season is probably the turning point on that front. The lens on the game definitely shifts when you invest in following the individual development as well as the teams.

Just add to the “bad footy” view. There’s definitely moments of frustration when we see an avenue to goal wasted with a lack of dare, or a simple skill error, but in context, those experiences exist at every level of the game. We’ve got enough of it under our belts to know roughly what the range of game styles look like and can go in and make judgments based on reasonable expectations around this competition, on its own. So we can and should feel free to notice and discuss bad footy in this competition, but it should be based on this competition. That’s the measure of good faith here for me.

We might not get the quick, clinical movement and assured marking of the men. But we do get the excitement of defenders coming up to the contest to meet the ball, speedsters breaking lines, rewards for taking grass and keeping the ball moving to advantage and I suspect everyone’s favourite part: fierce physical contact. Goals are more valuable. Points too. Contested marking is a huge factor in whether you win or not. Every contest has a higher emphasis on an individual win.

Yesterday there was a great example of Bennets, Lynch, Lamb and Wilcox winning the footy out wide and they kept going down the line. Series of three or four contests giving it back and getting it back playing a tactic that is supposed to work (in mens footy). They finally shortened it up, took a risk to run and carry and get the overlap. It was chaotic and a scramble. Next kick was to advantage and Blackburn won a free. Wilcox scores in that chain and we look like stealing the W. Not to be. But an example of how good footy didn’t look like what we expect good footy to look like.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-09-2022, 01:00 PM
The prerequisite for avoiding the stocks is showing up and engaging. You’re in a safe space!

Agree with your point about connection with the players, the movement has hurt and this season is probably the turning point on that front. The lens on the game definitely shifts when you invest in following the individual development as well as the teams.

Just add to the “bad footy” view. There’s definitely moments of frustration when we see an avenue to goal wasted with a lack of dare, or a simple skill error, but in context, those experiences exist at every level of the game. We’ve got enough of it under our belts to know roughly what the range of game styles look like and can go in and make judgments based on reasonable expectations around this competition, on its own. So we can and should feel free to notice and discuss bad footy in this competition, but it should be based on this competition. That’s the measure of good faith here for me.

We might not get the quick, clinical movement and assured marking of the men. But we do get the excitement of defenders coming up to the contest to meet the ball, speedsters breaking lines, rewards for taking grass and keeping the ball moving to advantage and I suspect everyone’s favourite part: fierce physical contact. Goals are more valuable. Points too. Contested marking is a huge factor in whether you win or not. Every contest has a higher emphasis on an individual win.

Yesterday there was a great example of Bennets, Lynch, Lamb and Wilcox winning the footy out wide and they kept going down the line. Series of three or four contests giving it back and getting it back playing a tactic that is supposed to work (in mens footy). They finally shortened it up, took a risk to run and carry and get the overlap. It was chaotic and a scramble. Next kick was to advantage and Blackburn won a free. Wilcox scores in that chain and we look like stealing the W. Not to be. But an example of how good footy didn’t look like what we expect good footy to look like.

Great post!

bornadog
24-09-2022, 02:07 PM
I think the AFLW is getting better every year, but I also find it very frustrating to watch with the number of turnovers by all teams. Simple things like passing to a team mate and the handballing is often woeful. Once the younger generation continue to play footy, the senior teams will also improve.

The men's game has been around for about 140 years, so has had plenty of time to develop. Many of these players didn't start playing till a few years ago, so have no junior grounding.

As for the venue - well I have been their a few times to watch Footscray in the VFL and it is not easy to watch, especially yesterday when I was on the outer wing and most of the play was on the grandstand side.

Next few home games will be in Ballarat and we are finishing up at Prince's park.

josie
24-09-2022, 02:43 PM
I’m ok with standard - vast improvement compared to first years and getting better each season. The standard of umpiring on the other hand, especially inconsistent interpretation of HTB or incorrect disposal, is often poor. I also think quarters should be a bit longer, say 5 mins. The loyalty of good players like Blackburn, Lamb and Fitzgerald have also kept me invested. With our team being quite young if we can hold onto our good players I can see us competing well in next 5 years.

Agree that Punt Road oval is a poor fan experience. How could the AFL not foresee a big crowd the day before a GF?