PDA

View Full Version : Make the case to keep Mitch Wallis

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 12:21 AM
Stats say:

2 Years/Seasons 2021 & 2022

10 out of a possible 49 Games Played in Total (1 Sub, not counting it an average against him)
0 of 5 finals played (none)

.8 Goals Per Game Average
.1 Goal Assists Per Game Average
9 Disposals Per Game Average
3 Marks Per Game Average
1.6 Tackles Per Game Average
.4 Clearances Per Game Aversge

30yo in two weeks time

Bleeds for the club, loyal and great bloke and family. Is that enough to keep a list spot? Or is it ‘depth’?

Why play him over McLean, Garcia, McNeil etc.?
Why re-sign him over Butler or Schache?

Make the case.

MrMahatma
08-10-2022, 12:26 AM
Cool hair

Swoop
08-10-2022, 12:36 AM
We probably shouldn't. The only argument to make is the fact that he's a high quality person, offers leadership and is a positive role model to our younger players but list spots are competitive and I would rather take a chance on a kid in the draft who has some rough edges but big upside.

I like him but sentiment aside he's not going to make us better. He's the sort of person you want to keep around the club perhaps in an off field role?

josie
08-10-2022, 12:37 AM
Stats say:

2 Years/Seasons 2021 & 2022

10 out of a possible 49 Games Played in Total (1 Sub, not counting it an average against him)
0 of 5 finals played (none)

.8 Goals Per Game Average
.1 Goal Assists Per Game Average
9 Disposals Per Game Average
3 Marks Per Game Average
1.6 Tackles Per Game Average
.4 Clearances Per Game Aversge

30yo in two weeks time

Bleeds for the club, loyal and great bloke and family. Is that enough to keep a list spot? Or is it ‘depth’?

Why play him over McLean, Garcia, McNeil etc.?
Why re-sign him over Butler or Schache?

Make the case.

I love Mitch however I cannot make a case to keep him rather than of any of the listed players above, except Butler. I also cannot understand Hannan or McComb re-signing either and would probably choose Mitch over either of those two, however that ship has sailed. Would he want to stay on as our vfl captain and transition to coaching, via say a development role initially, so we still benefit from his leadership?

boydogs
08-10-2022, 12:37 AM
His best footy was as an inside mid, with Dunkley leaving his chances of getting a game there improve a bit

Hotdog60
08-10-2022, 09:46 AM
Snapping his leg did him no favors and killed whatever pace he had so he is solely relying on his footy smarts.
Could we rookie him with him being more a on field coach for the VFL so just let him know he would need to be knocking the door down in the VFL to get a game.
But to show on field guidance to the new recruits. So he either takes a rookie spot, retire or seek a place elsewhere.

GVGjr
08-10-2022, 10:03 AM
If I thought he could play or fill in for 7 or 8 games this season he would deserve a contract extension but it would possibly take a number of injuries to other player for that to happen.
I get that the club might see some advantages of having him around the other players and if we believe that justifies a spot on the list then we will probably maintain him but I feel that is just delaying the inevitable.

We should let him go but it looks like he will be with us again in 2023.

Scraggers
08-10-2022, 10:04 AM
I love Wally so my answer is more sentimental than logic, but I believe he has one more year left in him as depth if nothing else. I like Hotdogs idea of the movement into coaching. His footy knowledge would be a big loss for our younger players. I have watched him year after year take the youngens under his wing and look after them. Wally is the epitome of the No Dickhead policy.

bornadog
08-10-2022, 11:23 AM
I think Wally does more damage up forward than a VDM or even a McNeil. I think he is also better than McComb, so I think he has a spot as a small forward that gives 110%. One more year would just about do it.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 11:28 AM
I think Wally does more damage up forward than a VDM or even a McNeil. I think he is also better than McComb, so I think he has a spot as a small forward that gives 110%. One more year would just about do it.

How did West go this year? Does he need more game time to develop him?

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 11:34 AM
He had a real breakout season BT. Played about 5 to 10 really good games in a row as that small forward and brought real intensity and an ability to mark overhead that surprised me.
Then as young guys do got tired and played a few average games in a row before being dropped towards the end of the season.
He’s one of the guys that will drive improvement next season I hope.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 11:35 AM
Wallis I think if there’s a spot left them we keep him on, he’s still a good player.

He’s never going to be more than fringe though and my preference would be to grab someone in an area of need instead.

Flamethrower
08-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Two main reasons...

1. He is a quality 1st class human being - you cannot have enough of players like that in the club. A perfect role model for the rookies.
2. I would HATE to see him in another team's laundry. He should retire in the tricolours.

Mitcha
08-10-2022, 11:59 AM
Sentimental call, ultimate professional and bleeds RWB just like his old man and would also hate to see him in other colors. Gut feel tells me retirement but would love to see him stay around to nurture the young pups coming through. The only possibility for him is that with #branddunks moving on it means West should get more midfield minutes meaning the small/medium forward role that Rylee played in 22 may open up for Wally at times in 23. 6 or so AFL games with the rest of the season guiding at VFL level. Others to delist before him.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2022, 12:35 PM

I'm hoping Westy will be looked at as a mid fielder/ forward not the other way around. I would offer Wally a one year contract purely because he is not the worse on our list and can play mid or forward. Keeping in mind we have lost Dunkley.

SonofScray
08-10-2022, 01:29 PM
I love and respect Wally, and there is always room to hold onto good club men if they are still contributing.

That being said, the end is pretty close, you’d think.

F'scary
08-10-2022, 01:30 PM
Two words: no you cannot.

Hotdog60
08-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Two words: no you cannot.

That's 3 words :)

Scraggers
08-10-2022, 02:02 PM

Without the contraction it would be four :)

Bulldog4life
08-10-2022, 02:08 PM
Without the contraction it would be four :)

In total it is 5 words.

Rocket Science
08-10-2022, 02:33 PM
If there's a case for keeping Stef Martin off the streets we may as well extend the retirement village for Wally too.

Topdog
08-10-2022, 03:48 PM
I hope we offer him a coaching gig or similar with Footscray

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 03:52 PM
I hope we offer him a coaching gig or similar with Footscray

Is there such a thing as within club ‘leadership coach’? (Not our sourced to Leading Teams) Not just a development coach? I’d like more player attitudes to be more like Wally. Paid as VFL captain on the VFL list?

soupman
08-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Can we not sign up players we have no intention of playing and that don't make us better? Especially when we have multiple deficiencies we should be trying to address and taking a punt on players in.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 04:29 PM

I think it's a Biden reference.

He said something like I've got two words, made in America.

Gold.

Dogs 24/7
08-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Heart says keep, brain says no. I love you Mitch but you should know that it will be a struggle for you.

FrediKanoute
08-10-2022, 07:17 PM
2021 - wasn't fuly fit and was off his game at the start of the year and lost his place and then struggled to regain it.

2022 - won back his place and was playing pretty good football. Arguably the forward line functioned better with him in the side, but then got injured.

What you get with Wallis is:

1) competitiveness aroudn the football;
2) an accurate set shot kick;
3) a goal assist contributor; and
4) leadership in a side lacking leaders.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-10-2022, 09:43 PM
2021 - wasn't fuly fit and was off his game at the start of the year and lost his place and then struggled to regain it.

2022 - won back his place and was playing pretty good football. Arguably the forward line functioned better with him in the side, but then got injured.

What you get with Wallis is:

1) competitiveness aroudn the football;
2) an accurate set shot kick;
3) a goal assist contributor; and
4) leadership in a side lacking leaders.

And we need all these things. We have to keep him on f nothing else he is a heart and soul man around the team

Hotdog60
08-10-2022, 10:43 PM
I think it's a Biden reference.

He said something like I've got two words, made in America.

Gold.

That'll teach me for not following American politics.
https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/54cbf8ad2cba652122d8d7d5/master/w_2560%2Cc_limit/image.jpg

Dry Rot
08-10-2022, 10:53 PM
The case to keep Wallis for next year is weaker than the Kerch Bridge tonight. And about as useful.

Happy Days
08-10-2022, 11:47 PM
He was really nice to me when I talked at him for 45 minutes when I was buckled at the Sorrento Hotel in 2017.