PDA

View Full Version : Membership Poll - Dunkley possible trade?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Ok Pickinging you say:

“I don’t think the Bulldogs fans would be all that thrilled if they let him go for nothing to make a point. You make a point that you are (actually) weakening your draft hand.”

Let’s see what the poll says. We can speak for ourselves.

You back the club in accepting a trade for whatever scraps Brisbane offers?

Or

You back to club to get its two Firsts (in line with Taranto market price - or player added if first value to Future First), or refuse the trade and accept back or let Dunkley walk to North?

Me. I’m 110% right behind the club. ‘A fair deal, or no deal’.

chef
08-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Fair deal or into the PSD you go for me too

Scraggers
08-10-2022, 03:54 PM
100% it’s a fair deal or no deal. I don’t think our draft hand is weakened with rejecting picks 32 (onwards) and future whatevers. I understand why Brisbane traded their picks to strengthen their father/son hand. But that now means you lose a player of quality and and future first rounder to secure the services of an elite player. Pony up boy !!

Rocket Science
08-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Picklington's transparent schtick is couched in us having no agency here and that we should simply take what we're given.

You'd reckon he's also feeling a little nervous because it's now the second time he's guided his client into chancy waters with another real chance of the deal being sunk so should Dunkley not make it to Brissy old mate Pickers might be losing a client too.

Hard to fathom they'd choose to court all this again - and put us through it no less - without working with the Lions all year on a proposal sound enough to put this to bed smoothly rather than banking on a cocktail of insults and pointless braggadocio.

Good work everyone!

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 04:07 PM
Pickering:“I don’t think the Bulldogs fans would be all that thrilled if they let him go for nothing to make a point. You make a point that you are (actually) weakening your draft hand.”

So far, and it’s early, 100% of us disagree with your assessment in your talking on our behalf…

Hotdog60
08-10-2022, 04:09 PM
Fair deal or no deal Brisbane even thought Gunston was a higher priority than Dunkly. If I was Dunkley I'd be calling Brisbane and say what's going on? I'll end up at North with this shit your pulling.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 04:17 PM
If it's a second this year and a first next year i'd take it.

I don't get sending him to the PSD, I understand the emotion behind it but at the end of the day the club we care about will be worse off all due to a guy who does not love it the way we do.

So get what we can, move on with our lives, forget about this guy. Ultimately he's the one screwing us.

I voted scraps, only because there wasn't another option like "ok deal but not the best deal" :)

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Stevo joins Team Fair Deal:

Footy journalist Mark Stevens says not only does the Taranto deal come into consideration for the Dogs’ demands, but so does the 2021 trade for Docker Adam Cerra.

“The Lions are throwing up Rhys Mathieson’s the only gettable player – that’s laughable to be honest,” he said on RSN Radio.

“That’s just a farcical situation. Certainly it would take more than Rhys Mathieson.

“You want about 12 and 19 which is exactly what Taranto is.

“If Taranto is worth 12 and 19, surely Dunkley’s worth more than that? (Pick) 21’s not 12.

“Compare to Adam Cerra – Dunkley’s more versatile, a better CV, more reliable and a better footballer than Adam Cerra. And he’s 25.

“Pick six and a future third Carlton gave up (to Fremantle for Cerra). That’s a lot more than what Dunkley’s (offered for trade).

“21 and the future first round pick that could be around 20 – it’s just not enough.”

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Pickering:“I don’t think the Bulldogs fans would be all that thrilled if they let him go for nothing to make a point. You make a point that you are (actually) weakening your draft hand.”

So far, and it’s early, 100% of us disagree with your assessment in your talking on our behalf…

And Liam knows quite well he is parsing his argument through as narrow a logic lens as possible so as to frame his client in the best light. And that's his job. Good. for. him.

It's not anyone else's job though to have to agree with his narrative or to push it without exploring other interesting perspectives.

The fact that Hutchy chose to ask as dumb a follow up question as he did (Why did Josh want to leave the Bulldogs?'), despite being set up nicely by Pickering to really turn up the heat on him with a series of follow ups, says volumes about his credentials (or lack thereof) as a sports journalist.

Surely after Pickering patronising spiel that the Dog's should just accept the Lion's offer, the follow up should've centred around the equivalence between Dunkley and Taranto's situations;both out of contract and of likely similar market value.

DOG GOD
08-10-2022, 04:47 PM
2 picks under 20
Or 1 pick under 20 and a best 22 player

Or no deal.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2022, 04:59 PM
Pickers well off the mark.

GVGjr
08-10-2022, 05:01 PM
Stevo joins Team Fair Deal:

Footy journalist Mark Stevens says not only does the Taranto deal come into consideration for the Dogs’ demands, but so does the 2021 trade for Docker Adam Cerra.

“The Lions are throwing up Rhys Mathieson’s the only gettable player – that’s laughable to be honest,” he said on RSN Radio.

“That’s just a farcical situation. Certainly it would take more than Rhys Mathieson.

“You want about 12 and 19 which is exactly what Taranto is.

“If Taranto is worth 12 and 19, surely Dunkley’s worth more than that? (Pick) 21’s not 12.

“Compare to Adam Cerra – Dunkley’s more versatile, a better CV, more reliable and a better footballer than Adam Cerra. And he’s 25.

“Pick six and a future third Carlton gave up (to Fremantle for Cerra). That’s a lot more than what Dunkley’s (offered for trade).

“21 and the future first round pick that could be around 20 – it’s just not enough.”

I was saying weeks back that the Cerra deal was the starting point ie a pick in the top 10 and something else.
Understanding that was unlikely then two late first rounders gets us close but not with handing back a 2nd rounder and 2 x 3rd rounders.

Brisbane have put Dunkley in this position and Pickers is missing our resolve.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 05:05 PM
Pickers well off the mark.

It seems like the WBFC membership are completely behind the clubs decision of ‘fair deal or no deal’ (95% so far). Any inferred pressure they were hoping to generate that we would ‘lose our B&F for nothing to the PSD’ and we would then riot through Footscray is well off the mark. Club and members United. Nice try though…

Swoop
08-10-2022, 05:16 PM
I'd be really proud of our club if we had the courage to hold on to our convictions and walk him to the PSD, if Brisbane do not match what is a fair and reasonable trade price for Dunkley.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2022, 05:26 PM
As others have said this is more than just a trade it is more about how other clubs perceive us in the future too. I will be proud of our club if we see it through.

GVGjr
08-10-2022, 05:29 PM
We will set a precedent if we allow a club to short change us. Happy to take the hit if we have to and I'd like to think that from a trading perspective I'm pragmatic that a few spots here or there doesn't mean a lot in the scheme of things but the offer that was in front of us wasn't in the spirit of a fair minded deal.

hujsh
08-10-2022, 05:30 PM
I knew GG would be the one who voted scraps before even scrolling down.

WBFC4FFC
08-10-2022, 05:47 PM
Don’t forget, if there is no deal, we have the salary cap space to pursue a player in the PSD.

Thus the Dogs will get something in return, whilst Bris will not land Dunks and are behind us in the PSD.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 05:48 PM
I knew GG would be the one who voted scraps before even scrolling down.

Haha.
Hey hey I scrolled.

This poll was rigged!

I wont be bowed by peer pressure *Googles how to change vote *

bornadog
08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Fair deal or into the PSD you go for me too

This for me too

SonofScray
08-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Just business. We’ve been fair with Josh, it’s up to Brisbane to match the good will that has existed in our relationship. If it can’t get done because they can’t get it done, sorry Josh, PSD is your next option, unless you want in on a one year deal.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 06:11 PM
Haha.
Hey hey I scrolled.

This poll was rigged!

I wont be bowed by peer pressure *Googles how to change vote *

“Mr 3.45%”

(& dropping)

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 06:13 PM
“Mr 3.45%”

(& dropping)

I'm happy outside of this angry echo chamber.

Think about the Lions crashing and burning in 23 whilst we have their first pick! Mwahahaha.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 06:15 PM
I'm happy outside of this angry echo chamber.

Think about the Lions crashing and burning in 23 whilst we have their first pick! Mwahahaha.

Updated for accuracy... “Mr 3.33%”

Dogs 24/7
08-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Would three second round selections be enough?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 06:16 PM
How do we get news.com.au to run a story with the headline ‘96.67% of western bulldogs members prepared to walk star player into PSD’?

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 06:18 PM

Maybe if they added Robinson, free lectures from Leigh Matthews about the Tom Boyd contract, and a Future 5th & 6th Rounder.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 06:19 PM

Hmm not sure.

For mine best deal is a top 10 pick which is nigh on impossible for the Lions unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Next 2 x firsts around 15.

Worst case a future first and this years second.

Worst worst worst case getting nothing.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 06:31 PM

I'm feeling bullied.

Feels OK ;)

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 06:38 PM
I'm feeling bullied.

Feels OK ;)

Phew. I thought were you gunna go full ‘Trump’ the vote was rigged for a moment there.

azabob
08-10-2022, 07:03 PM

Is that the poll % or some random average pressure acts per game?

FYI BT, all GG went on about during 2022 was players pressure acts…

FrediKanoute
08-10-2022, 07:07 PM
Scraps, with a caveat.

Losing a player of Dunks quality for zilch is a poor option. Better something (2nd rounder/3rd rounder) than nothing. I get hte moral grandstanding and looking tough, but looking tough and losing a player still means you lose a player of Dunk's quality and it will do nothing to prevent it happening again. More to the point, What if no one takes Dunks and he ends up at Brissy anyway, then tough looks a lot more like egg.

Trading is cyclical. We are negotiating from a really poor position (unlike Freo who have the upper hand in the Lobb decision). Yes he is worth 2 first round picks.....but only if he was contracted because then someone would have to prise him out of us. What we should be doing is having a look at who is gettable from Brissy in the next couple of years and use the Dunks money to get them......hurt them next year and the year after.

My caveat is that if all we are getting is change and low picks then yes send him to the draft, but a future first and pick 21 (even if er have to give something back) is not a bad deal.

azabob
08-10-2022, 07:09 PM
Scraps, with a caveat.

Losing a player of Dunks quality for zilch is a poor option. Better something (2nd rounder/3rd rounder) than nothing. I get hte moral grandstanding and looking tough, but looking tough and losing a player still means you lose a player of Dunk's quality and it will do nothing to prevent it happening again. More to the point, What if no one takes Dunks and he ends up at Brissy anyway, then tough looks a lot more like egg.

Trading is cyclical. We are negotiating from a really poor position (unlike Freo who have the upper hand in the Lobb decision). Yes he is worth 2 first round picks.....but only if he was contracted because then someone would have to prise him out of us. What we should be doing is having a look at who is gettable from Brissy in the next couple of years and use the Dunks money to get them......hurt them next year and the year after.

My caveat is that if all we are getting is change and low picks then yes send him to the draft, but a future first and pick 21 (even if er have to give something back) is not a bad deal.

A couple of points why give a top 4 team a leg up to improve their list?

Secondly we should call his bluff and redraft Dunkley in the PSD as we have the pick prior to Brisbane.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 07:11 PM
Is that the poll % or some random average pressure acts per game?

FYI BT, all GG went on about during 2022 was players pressure acts…

Love it.

Lachie McNeil was the pressure act king.

I missed a trick not asking Bevo about them at the B and F.

I'll get there. You all see! XD

Rocket Science
08-10-2022, 07:16 PM
How do we get news.com.au to run a story with the headline ‘96.67% of western bulldogs members prepared to walk star player into PSD’?

That should be simple enough, just forward (http://www.pseg.com.au/contact) Pickers a link to this thread.

If he only raises it with his client alone it'll have served its purpose.

Feel free to include this attachment for effect.

https://i.ibb.co/0JPkFcM/DUNX-DUHHH.jpg (https://ibb.co/mzQmXGq)

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 07:19 PM
That should be simple enough, just forward (http://www.pseg.com.au/contact) Pickers a link to this thread.

Love it. I will put up a media release here tonight. In its own thread with it. News.com.au here we come!

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Scraps, with a caveat.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Quh1CAKOTRCl9VVU3f/giphy.gif

Bulldog4life
08-10-2022, 07:47 PM

Done except Mrs. B4L was looking over my shoulder and emailed Pickers before me.

1eyedog
08-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Scraps, with a caveat.

I don't agree with or like anything in this post at all.

Flamethrower
08-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Someone should get on to Trade Radio and ask Pickering to put this to Josh...

How do you feel about going to a club that only thinks you are worth a stale packet of twisties and a flat can of Coke?
To Brisbane you are nothing more than a slab a meat. Oh and with the depth at Brisbane with Ashcroft and Fletcher joining their star studded midfield, I hope you like playing in the VFL, or playing as a back up ruck for when the Big O has his obligatory injury 5 minutes into the game.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Stick to your guns dogs. This will go down in history as the deal that changed the game for everyone

EasternWest
08-10-2022, 09:27 PM
Stock to your guns dogs. This will go down in history as the dess as l that changed the game for everyone

Bumper have you been on the beers?

Good to have you back in town.

Stevo
08-10-2022, 09:53 PM
I wish there was an option of get me close but I've go with deal or no deal.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-10-2022, 09:54 PM
Bumper have you been on the beers?

Good to have you back in town.

How could you tell. Its a Saturday night after a long week. I have full faith that Sam will get a deal done that is fair for us as a club. I’m sure he is looking over their list and who can fill our needs coming back this way

They have underestimated Power and the Bulldogs

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 09:57 PM
“Mr 2.56%”…

Edit:

“Mr 2.44%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.38%”

Topdog
08-10-2022, 10:13 PM
Even if we get nothing from the draft by Dunkley not going to a finals rival we are better off in 2023.

Don't understand the viewpoint of we get nothing by letting him go to PSD. There are still games of footy to be won.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Even if we get nothing from the draft by Dunkley not going to a finals rival we are better off in 2023.

Don't understand the viewpoint of we get nothing by letting him go to PSD. There are still games of footy to be won.

Yep that’s a good point, unfortunately cooking with Dunks and Tippah - Woolloongabba is green lit.

Grantysghost
08-10-2022, 10:57 PM
“Mr 2.56%”…

Edit:

“Mr 2.44%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.38%”

https://media.giphy.com/media/LQ3uF9q1sN9vDYm1sg/giphy.gif

bulldogtragic
08-10-2022, 10:59 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/LQ3uF9q1sN9vDYm1sg/giphy.gif

Edit:

“Mr 2.33%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.27%”

Edit:

Richie Benaud

“Mr 2.22%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.13%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.08%”

FrediKanoute
09-10-2022, 12:39 AM
I don't agree with or like anything in this post at all.

Why? I was lambasted on here for being "emotional" about Dunks' decision and wishing him ill -that feeling was based on emotion.

I'm going to suggest that comments from most people about being strong, looking tough, not being bent over etc are emootional responses. I feel them too.

Good negogtiators understand the cards they have and try to make those cards work to their advantage. Our cards are:

1) quality midfielder in the prime of his career;
2) quality midfielder is uncontracted;
3) wants to go to 1 club and 1 club only; and
4) said club has committed to draft 2 father sons and has limited draft capital.

Are we in a position to bend Brisbane over? Only real "strong" option is pSD which is a LOSE for Brisbane and a LOSE for us.

If there is no Win Win available - which would be 2 first rounders for Dunks -then we look to lesse win or lesser lose options - doing a deal represents this. This is what good negotiators do.

SonofScray
09-10-2022, 01:04 AM
Why? I was lambasted on here for being "emotional" about Dunks' decision and wishing him ill -that feeling was based on emotion.

I'm going to suggest that comments from most people about being strong, looking tough, not being bent over etc are emootional responses. I feel them too.

Good negogtiators understand the cards they have and try to make those cards work to their advantage. Our cards are:

4) said club has committed to draft 2 father sons and has limited draft capital.

Are we in a position to bend Brisbane over? Only real "strong" option is pSD which is a LOSE for Brisbane and a LOSE for us.

If there is no Win Win available - which would be 2 first rounders for Dunks -then we look to lesse win or lesser lose options - doing a deal represents this. This is what good negotiators do.

Nothing personal to Brisbane, or Josh. Just business.

If we think we’re more likely to be facing Brisbane in a final in 2023 than the teams ahead of them in the PSD, then ensuring we don’t make them stronger when there are other options is a consideration, surely? It’s a speculative, risky decision but I’m not too uncomfortable with it at all.

My preference is that we settle on a reasonable deal and move on though.

Grantysghost
09-10-2022, 01:11 AM
Edit:

“Mr 2.33%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.27%”

Edit:

Richie Benaud

“Mr 2.22%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.13%”

Edit:

“Mr 2.08%”

Mr Richie Benaud, I’ll take it BT.

Aaaaaaand it’s gone ! ;)

hujsh
09-10-2022, 01:37 AM

I think we need to be prepared to do that and willing to do that but realistically look to avoid it. Game Theory style you've gotta show you're willing to blow up the entire world without actually pressing the button. It won't 'bend Brisbane over' but I'm hoping for more than a future first that's for sure.

Topdog
09-10-2022, 08:52 AM
Whats this talk about bending Brisbane over? Asking for 2 1st rounders for a 25 yo elite mid-fwd that they have lured with a 5 year deal is not bending them over.

Bulldog Joe
09-10-2022, 10:04 AM
I believe we should offer Dunks a 1 year contract on the same money as Brisbane.

Gets him to free agency and another chance to test the market for his value.

Go to the PSD and we still pick before Brisbane unless someone else takes him first.

Does he really want to risk going to West Coast with no chance of free agency.

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 10:17 AM
Whats this talk about bending Brisbane over? Asking for 2 1st rounders for a 25 yo elite mid-fwd that they have lured with a 5 year deal is not bending them over.

I get the sentiment that we are standing our ground and there is a bit of brinkmanship in trying to get Brisbane to come up with something reasonable but it's hardly like we are trying to bend them over. We know we won't get fair market value like the Taranto deal but it at least should be close to the Cerra deal of last year.

On what Brisbane are prepared to pay him I think any fair minded person would say this is a 2 first round pick valuation deal that should be struck and one of those first rounders should be in the top 10.
Being pragmatic and understanding their position we would consider two first round picks anywhere in the order is something we would somewhat reluctantly accept.

A two first round offer they put forward being contingent on getting a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder and a F3 rounder from us back is just insulting and doesn't match the financial commitment they have for Dunkley.

Now that it's gone public and created a lot of noise and focus Brisbane need to come up with something creative to get this done.
A F1st F2nd and that upgrade to get pick #21 is the minimum we can accept. If there needs to be a swap of later picks to balance things up then I think most of us are okay with that.

Happy Days
09-10-2022, 11:07 AM
I believe we should offer Dunks a 1 year contract on the same money as Brisbane.

Go to the PSD and we still pick before Brisbane unless someone else takes him first.

I agree. The irony being that we will be much, much better compensated by the AFL next year than we would by Brisbane this year.

Mofra
09-10-2022, 11:10 AM
I expect they get pick 18 this year from GWS and package that with their F1st, then we spend days haggling over change.

Go_Dogs
09-10-2022, 11:14 AM
I say a fair deal or no deal, but a fair deal is likely what GVG has mentioned - if we end up Net with a couple of first round picks (and a pick outside of the top 18 is probably not a first round pick…) that’s a reasonable result and we move on.

It’s hard to see how pick 21 satisfies, unless something else comes with it - time for Brisbane to pick up the phone to a few other clubs and get creative.

What’s clear to me is through it all, we seem to rate Josh’s ability higher than any of his suitors… whys he leaving again?!

Scraggers
09-10-2022, 11:15 AM

I think we stick fast … for now.
We have told them what Dunkley is worth and in current market value we are not asking for overs. If a deal for two first rounders or a future first rounder and a legitimately good current player can’t be made, we then offer Dunkley one more year. We know he’s professional, we know he’s going to try his guts out. He then leaves us with free agency and we get compensation. The best compensation we can expect will be an end of first round selection.
One more year of Dunkley and an end of first round is better than two second round selections in my opinion.

bornadog
09-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Do we want Dunkley hanging around for another year moping? He said he doesn't want to be at the club - tells you everything.

Scraggers
09-10-2022, 11:28 AM
Do we want Dunkley hanging around for another year mopping? He said he doesn't want to be at the club - tells you everything.

Yes … he’s professional enough to do what he is being paid well to do

Grantysghost
09-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Do we want Dunkley hanging around for another year mopping? He said he doesn't want to be at the club - tells you everything.

No certainly not, the first time he got his wish of not playing ruck so used it to leverage us with strategy which still blows my mind.
This time I think it's too much to expect him to stay after that farewell, his desire to leave twice and his manager coming out publicly yesterday and saying he doesn't want to play for the Bulldogs.
Let's move on.

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 11:39 AM

I can't draw that conclusion based on his attitude over the last two years. Unless he requests to sign again with us for another 12 months which is very unlikely he will be picked up by either North or Essendon.

Scraggers
09-10-2022, 12:06 PM
If Dunks is willing to play at Essendon, surely he would play at Gold Coast? GC are on the rise, they are based in Queensland, why are we shopping him to them?

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 12:08 PM
If Dunks is willing to play at Essendon, surely he would play at Gold Coast? GC are on the rise, they are based in Queensland, why are we shopping him to them?

GC have ruled themselves out of being interested in Dunkley.

EasternWest
09-10-2022, 05:35 PM

Well someone has to clean the floors.

He didn't mope this year.

Have your opinion on his motives all you like, but what you've said above is incorrect and unfair (the first bit).

Dry Rot
09-10-2022, 05:48 PM
Fair deal or no deal

Dry Rot
09-10-2022, 05:48 PM
BTW, what is the suggested trade for Gunston?

bornadog
09-10-2022, 05:55 PM

Gunston is a free agent, and Brisbane could have picked him up for free, but that would mean the Mcstay free agent compo would be lost. They need the points so they are trading for Gunston

GVGjr
09-10-2022, 05:58 PM

They'll cough up a 3rd rounder for him. You can just about back it in he's kick 35 goals plus for them next year.

boydogs
11-10-2022, 11:29 PM
As others have said this is more than just a trade it is more about how other clubs perceive us in the future too. I will be proud of our club if we see it through.

If that was the case, would you expect Brisbane would have been put off chasing Dunkley because of what happened when GWS pursued Griffen? We put a monster offer in front of Tom Boyd to get him to ask for a trade, should Brisbane have been afraid of losing one of their stars because we would react the same way?

That trade ended up being Griffen AND pick 6 for Tom Boyd, who had struggled to make an impact at AFL level having been asked to bulk up and had only played 9 games to that point, and yet we gave them an early first rounder to balance the trade when they got our club captain and best mid

The only way you win trade week is get players to agree to come to your club. The AFLPA have engineered a culture of players being able to nominate their clubs, so you need to be the club that players want to nominate, not be a clever negotiator. A lot of the trades this year are wins for the club that got the player to come to them, because the other club is in a powerless position

I really rate Dunkley and the importance of what he brings, but pick 21 and next year's first rounder is not scraps. Brisbane were a goal umpiring decision away from losing a home elimination final, it's not out of the question that we get pick 10 next year, and then it is very equivalent to the Tim Taranto trade

With all the Dunkley talk, it has been missed that we haven't been able to bring anyone in, with the possible exception of Lobb tomorrow. There hasn't been an exodus either, but clearly we have some work to do in the competitive marketplace of being an attractive destination for footballers to work