PDA

View Full Version : AFLW Pride Jumper

Jeanette54
10-10-2022, 09:13 PM
I note the club blurb accompanying the new AFLW Pride jumper. "Designed by members of the AFLW playing group in consultation with the Bulldog Pride supporter group, the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink."

However, I am surprised at the choice of theme. A couple of years ago the AFL were absolutely determined to prevent transwoman Hannah Mouncey becoming an AFLW player. Surely this reeks of hypocrisy, nothing new for the AFL.

If, by chance there is a transgender woman playing in the AFLW, I think she would do well to keep her mouth shut. That is if she wishes to continue to play.

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 10:02 PM
It is interesting considering what you've said.

My guess is it's more supporting the entire community.

Jeanette54
10-10-2022, 10:52 PM
My guess is it's more supporting the entire community.

An old friend once told me, when the words and actions differ, believe the actions. This is just AFLW virtue signalling at its most blatant.

bornadog
10-10-2022, 10:58 PM
An old friend once told me, when the words and actions differ, believe the actions. This is just AFLW virtue signalling at its most blatant.

Pride round has been going for a few years now

Grantysghost
10-10-2022, 11:19 PM
I don't really understand why any of this offends people.

Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, it's what I'd like for everyone I care about and those I mentor.

Politics aside at the end of the day it's about community; people. Without that we don't have anything.

Understand the OP and the apparent contradiction but maybe it's just simply about respect at the end of the day.

Dickens illustrated the dichotomy of opinion and class perfectly in a Tale of Two Cities, I always read this and smile and wonder if we will ever end division. Probably not!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Happy Days
10-10-2022, 11:49 PM
I get the frustration but it’s not exactly Carlton pulling on a Pride jumper after specifically refusing to endorse the Yes vote. The AFL’s half pregnant stance on trans players was and remains pathetic but this is something of a positive step.

I would like to think that shows of support like our jumper might actually foster inclusion for trans players, if not from the governing body then at least at the Western Bulldogs.

Jumper looks awesome for what it’s worth.

azabob
11-10-2022, 08:19 AM
I am actually confused; is the OP actually having a go at the club for trying to become a more inclusive environment?

1eyedog
11-10-2022, 10:36 AM
I'm picking up what you're putting down. FWIW I 100% support the gay and transgender communities; however, I coach girls football and I still struggle with the idea of a Hannah Mouncey playing AFLW. I just think there remains an unfair size and strength advantage that makes it unfair to the majority. My opinion.

I have no problem with our club coming out in support of the transgender community and think it's great the flag is included on our pride jumper. I guess I sound very much like a hypocrite as well.

One day we'll have a transgender league I have no doubt about it but that is a long way off.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 10:55 AM
The jumper

https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/311027935_1406405156435697_8439650495795232343_n.jpg?_nc_cat =110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=2MfrVpZOOh0AX8YUC61&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AT9X9-8-qa73L5TVfDY-Nm82lLsRjyUV_qUuyYmc1RhFaQ&oe=6349BAEC

Jeanette54
11-10-2022, 11:29 AM
I am actually confused; is the OP actually having a go at the club for trying to become a more inclusive environment?

No, I was pointing out the irony of an AFLW club having a guernsey based on the transgender flag, given that when the AFLW had the chance to walk the walk they fell short of the inclusion they espouse.

FWIW, I have no problem with the club being genuinely inclusive, but this smacks of wanting to be seen as inclusive. Which is an entirely different thing.

I actually quite like the jumper and will probably buy one to add to my collection of jumpers over the years.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:32 AM
No, I was pointing out the irony of an AFLW club having a guernsey based on the transgender flag, given that when the AFLW had the chance to walk the walk they fell short of the inclusion they espouse.

I have no problem with the club being genuinely inclusive, but this smacks of wanting to be seen as inclusive. Which is an entirely different thing.

I actually quite like the jumper, and will probably buy one to add to my collection of jumpers over the years.

It's not a transgender flag, but trans people are represented.

Jeanette54
11-10-2022, 11:44 AM
It's not a transgender flag, but trans people are represented.

I quote the club view, "the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink".

bornadog
11-10-2022, 12:15 PM
I quote the club view, "the guernsey reflects the transgender flag with the traditional red, white and blue hoops swapped out for pastel blue, white and pink".

Well that is not correct and should be changed by club.

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Well that is not correct and should be changed by club.

No you are incorrect BAD and the club is correct. This is the Trans Gender flag and quite clearly the jumper is based on it.

https://i.postimg.cc/sXSnSMnk/0-F84-C75-B-A017-4-CBC-9-CED-E7-C0-B900-C3-B2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
11-10-2022, 02:25 PM
No you are incorrect BAD and the club. This is the Trans Gender flag and quite clearly the jumper is based on it.

https://i.postimg.cc/sXSnSMnk/0-F84-C75-B-A017-4-CBC-9-CED-E7-C0-B900-C3-B2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It's meant to be pride round. This narrows it down.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 02:56 PM
The jumper

https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/311027935_1406405156435697_8439650495795232343_n.jpg?_nc_cat =110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=2MfrVpZOOh0AX8YUC61&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AT9X9-8-qa73L5TVfDY-Nm82lLsRjyUV_qUuyYmc1RhFaQ&oe=6349BAEC

Looks like the normal jumper inside out. Yes I've done that before.

SquirrelGrip
11-10-2022, 02:59 PM
I agree with Jeanette54 on this. The hypocrisy of the AFL allowing a trans jumper but not allowing trans players.

FWIW Issy has come up with a good looking and meaningful design.

boydogs
12-10-2022, 01:20 AM
However, I am surprised at the choice of theme. A couple of years ago the AFL were absolutely determined to prevent transwoman Hannah Mouncey becoming an AFLW player. Surely this reeks of hypocrisy, nothing new for the AFL.

It's our jumper not the AFL's

Are you saying the AFL are hypocrites if they don't stop us wearing it?

Preventing males who have transitioned to females from playing women's sport keeps it fair for the other players, it sucks for transgender people as they don't have the critical mass to have their own league, but it's the same for disabled people

hujsh
12-10-2022, 01:46 AM
It's our jumper not the AFL's

Are you saying the AFL are hypocrites if they don't stop us wearing it?

Preventing males who have transitioned to females from playing women's sport keeps it fair for the other players, it sucks for transgender people as they don't have the critical mass to have their own league, but it's the same for disabled people

People say that but there's so few examples of trans athletes actually being good enough to win that it feels hollow. Is there some small advantage for trans women? Maybe. But that's true of women with higher than normal testosterone levels but we don't ban them. Once you start doing the hormones and all that stuff, aside from being taller maybe, it seems like you don't really benefit much from having been a man.

The AFL's stance is not to protect women or women's sport either IMO. It's just reflecting that society hasn't really come around on this issue. They will change once it polls over 50% support or something I bet.

Jumper looks good. Trans flag has good colours. Onboard with the club being an ally for trans people specifically. It's not as safe as just generally being pro LGBT so it's probably more than just the usual corporate 'pride missiles by Ratheon' pandering. Yay us.

Jeanette54
16-10-2022, 06:03 PM
Having criticised the apparent hypocrisy behind the jumper I would still like to own one, in particular the match worn jumpers up for auction. However, I cannot find any link to the auction on our club website. The search option doesn't come up with any link, nor can I find any on any of the AFLW pages.

If someone on woof can find a link to the auction, I would be grateful if they could post it on this thread.

Good win too.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 06:16 PM
Having criticised the apparent hypocrisy behind the jumper I would still like to own one, in particular the match worn jumpers up for auction. However, I cannot find any link to the auction on our club website. The search option doesn't come up with any link, nor can I find any on any of the AFLW pages.

If someone on woof can find a link to the auction, I would be grateful if they could post it on this thread.

Good win too.

Hi J54.

Try here

https://westernbulldogs.aflauctions.com.au/iSynApp/allAuction.action?sid=1103741&rc=10&sort=title_asc

Jeanette54
16-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Hi J54.

Try here

https://westernbulldogs.aflauctions.com.au/iSynApp/allAuction.action?sid=1103741&rc=10&sort=title_asc

Thank-you GG, much appreciated. Bid entered.

Grantysghost
16-10-2022, 07:01 PM
Thank-you GG, much appreciated. Bid entered.

Np. Good luck!