PDA

View Full Version : If the deals don't get done?

GVGjr
11-10-2022, 10:05 AM
The word is that we are a fair way off getting the Josh Dunkley or Rory Lobb deals done.

I think we can all agree that Brisbane's initial offer for Dunkley was unacceptable and they prioritised the two father sons over Dunks.
Lobb is an interesting one, on paper he fits our needs almost perfectly but we seem to be a fair way apart with what Freo expect and what we are prepared to pay.

How would you feel if we walked Dunks to the PSD and we didn't get a deal for Lobb done and that Liam Jones is the only fish that we landed?

I'm a drafts focused person and would like to have more picks this year but I can understand why we don't want to lose Dunkley for a significant discount. I've also been lukewarm about bringing Lobb in for next season.

I think most of us would have been prepared to not get one of these deals done but I'm not so sure about how people would feel about not getting either of those deals done.

What are your thoughts?

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 10:10 AM
Waco, Texas:

A Davidian recounts leader David Koresh saying it's "too late to turn back," and telling followers that "you're going to get to the point where there is no way out, that, 'You know you're gonna die. And then you're gonna trust God. 'Cause even if it's the last second before the tank hits you, even if it's a foot away and you go, God! You know. And if it's for a second, the last second, it's gonna run you over, or you burn, you know, or you get shot or whatever. ...asked why he hasn't delivered us yet, he says we haven't travailed enough."

Mofra
11-10-2022, 10:16 AM
The issue with not getting Lobb across the line is it may hurt in future years, as players may not want to 'do a Dunkley' and nominate a club that can't get the deal done.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 10:18 AM
Apparently the Lobb deal will be discussed today with Freo. My gut feel is it will be done, however, seems the Dunkley deal is way off at the moment.

I voted for the last option - let's get some players to fill gaps.

Mofra
11-10-2022, 10:23 AM
I'm sure we've considered other deals, I really want us to take a first rounder to draft though. Ideally more.
I'd rather forego a fringe player from another club if it means preserving our earlier picks.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 10:28 AM
Just get the Dunkley deal done.

I'm actually surprised the club was so openly loving to him at the B and F (in the room people were standing and applauding) and now we won't facilitate a deal.

I get it's on both parties, and no doubt the Lions first offer was unders but can't we just get it done and move onto other things!
Future first and 21. The difference bw 15 and 21 I don't get the angst (eg if we would deal with 15 for eg).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-10-2022, 10:39 AM
I have no idea how things will play out but I do suspect what ever happens this trade and draft period will be instructive as to whether Bevo is with us beyond 2023.
If we have a good 2023 then I suspect the club will be able to claim the approach taken in 2022 trade/drat period was justified.
If we struggle then I think the acid will (fairly) come directly onto the football department including the Head Coach.

Topdog
11-10-2022, 10:42 AM

I'm actually surprised the club was so openly loving to him at the B and F (in the room people were standing and applauding) and now we won't facilitate a deal.

I get it's on both parties, and no doubt the Lions first offer was unders but can't we just get it done and move onto other things!
Future first and 21. The difference bw 15 and 21 I don't get the angst (eg if we would deal with 15 for eg).

we are facilitating a deal, we arent giving him away for nothing.

lemmon
11-10-2022, 10:55 AM
I'm probably a much-worse poker player than Power, but I'd be getting close to the point of doing the Dunkley deal at unders and turning our attention elsewhere. He doesn't want to be here, this is the second time it's gone this way with Josh and there's no option for us to hold onto him this time.

I don't think he's critical to our success next year - take the best Brisbane offer we'll get, bank the salary cap space and see what jockeying we can do elsewhere.

I wouldn't be moving from our initial Lobb offer which felt like fair value to me, but that's because I don't want or think we need him.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 10:59 AM
I'm probably a much-worse poker player than Power, but I'd be getting close to the point of doing the Dunkley deal at unders and turning our attention elsewhere. He doesn't want to be here, this is the second time it's gone this way with Josh and there's no option for us to hold onto him this time.

I don't think he's critical to our success next year - take the best Brisbane offer we'll get, bank the salary cap space and see what jockeying we can do elsewhere.

I wouldn't be moving from our initial Lobb offer which felt like fair value to me, but that's because I don't want or think we need him.

He's screwed us once and dictated the position he wants to play, now he's hi-jacking the trade period. I'm sure we can walk and chew bubble gum but lets be rid of this loathsome priest !

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 10:59 AM
we are facilitating a deal, we arent giving him away for nothing.

Future first and 21 isn't nothing surely ? (To be fair I don't know the current offer).

chef
11-10-2022, 11:00 AM

Are they offering 21 and Future 1st ?

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:00 AM

They want something back as well

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:01 AM

That's what is being reported but I've got no idea tbh.

The Doctor
11-10-2022, 11:01 AM
If the deals don't get done hit the draft!

chef
11-10-2022, 11:02 AM
They want something back as well

Do we even know what the current offer is?

chef
11-10-2022, 11:02 AM
That's what is being reported but I've got no idea tbh.

Who is reporting it?

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Who is reporting it?

I feel like I'm being led somewhere I don't want to go. Like those Macaroons you callously send to the ovens! ;)

I believe the trade radio guys. I will see if I can find something. It call all be pure speculation.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:05 AM
Do we even know what the current offer is?

Not really. There have been a number different scenarios. Now that Gunston deal done, I am sure they will thrash this out today.

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:06 AM
Who is reporting it?

Fox reported it a couple of days ago :

WHY DOGS WANT ‘MARKET VALUE’ FOR DUNKLEY
The Josh Dunkley stalemate is set to go down to the wire, with reports the Western Bulldogs could walk him to the pre-season draft (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/starting-to-accept-it-dogs-great-disappointed-as-bombshell-draft-option-hangs-over-stars-exit/news-story/6d6fc899a97ef0f297fc6594c39c5580) if Brisbane don’t up their offer.
The deal reportedly on the table for Dunkley is pick 21 and a future first rounder.

If we send him to the draft and don't take that to get some sort of "win" I'll be pretty dissapointed.

hujsh
11-10-2022, 11:11 AM
Fox reported it a couple of days ago :

WHY DOGS WANT ‘MARKET VALUE’ FOR DUNKLEY
The Josh Dunkley stalemate is set to go down to the wire, with reports the Western Bulldogs could walk him to the pre-season draft (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/starting-to-accept-it-dogs-great-disappointed-as-bombshell-draft-option-hangs-over-stars-exit/news-story/6d6fc899a97ef0f297fc6594c39c5580) if Brisbane don’t up their offer.
The deal reportedly on the table for Dunkley is pick 21 and a future first rounder.

If we send him to the draft and don't take that to get some sort of "win" I'll be pretty dissapointed.

I think that's the shortened version of the deal and Brisbane still want picks coming back

Jasper
The issue with not getting Lobb across the line is it may hurt in future years, as players may not want to 'do a Dunkley' and nominate a club that can't get the deal done.

Definitely a bigger picture in play here much like with Dunkley

chef
I feel like I'm being led somewhere I don't want to go. Like those Macaroons you callously send to the ovens! ;)

I believe the trade radio guys. I will see if I can find something. It call all be pure speculation.

It's just outside of some clickbait media we really don't know what they are offering.

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2022, 11:16 AM
If the deals don't get done hit the draft!

I agree with this but the question is do we have enough with just 3 or 4 picks spread out?

chef
11-10-2022, 11:18 AM
According to Ralphy

Lobb to Dogs is officially on with talks underway. Lions want to trade 21 and a future first for Dunkley. Then 21 could be on traded for Lobb. Or used in the deal. Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. Details here https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f447.png https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-follow-all-the-latest-news-on-the-big-deals-as-it-happens/news-story/bd7a529ec72ba483cdc51d310d666ebb (https://t.co/ekcJRux1fL)

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:19 AM
According to Ralphy

Lobb to Dogs is officially on with talks underway. Lions want to trade 21 and a future first for Dunkley. Then 21 could be on traded for Lobb. Or used in the deal. Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. Details here https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f447.pnghttps://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-follow-all-the-latest-news-on-the-big-deals-as-it-happens/news-story/bd7a529ec72ba483cdc51d310d666ebb (https://t.co/ekcJRux1fL)

Sounds familiar ;)

Do it I say. Life's too short. Melbourne probably got unders for Jackson, but there's a point to be smart.

chef
11-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Sounds familiar ;)

Do it I say. Life's too short. Melbourne probably got unders for Jackson, but there's a point to be smart.

GG is John Ralph?

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:21 AM
According to Ralphy

Lobb to Dogs is officially on with talks underway. Lions want to trade 21 and a future first for Dunkley. Then 21 could be on traded for Lobb. Or used in the deal. Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. Details here https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f447.pnghttps://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-follow-all-the-latest-news-on-the-big-deals-as-it-happens/news-story/bd7a529ec72ba483cdc51d310d666ebb (https://t.co/ekcJRux1fL)

Can't read that, but a shorten version on twitter:

I don't like this part:

Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. They can get stuffed

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Can't read that, but a shorten version on twitter:

I don't like this part:

Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. They can get stuffed

If it's a future first and Lobb for Dunkley is that ok with most?
I'm fine with it.
We can wish the Lions ill all season next year! Imagine the glory of Dunks missing the finals and us getting a top 10.
#daretodream

bornadog
11-10-2022, 11:28 AM
If it's a future first and Lobb for Dunkley is that ok with most?
I'm fine with it.
We can wish the Lions ill all season next year! Imagine the glory of Dunks missing the finals and us getting a top 10.
#daretodream

Freo asking for 1st rounder? You are ok with that?

Grantysghost
11-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Freo asking for 1st rounder? You are ok with that?

No way jose b.

MrMahatma
11-10-2022, 11:32 AM
I mean, if we end this period with:
1. Jones in.
2. Dunkley out via PSD.

That's pretty sucky and we can look forward to season #4? #5? in a row with a mediocre ruck division. With a thinned out midfield sans Dunkley, are we REALLY any better off? And could we REALLY expect to do better next year? I still rate, very highly, much of our list but the holes are there.

Now... chuck Grundy into the equation and we're in a different zone.

If we were to lose Dunks for nothing, and only bring in Jones, then surely that's a fail for the list management crew (whoever manages the list... maybe it's Power, mostly Bevo will cop the blame).

Scorlibo
11-10-2022, 11:46 AM
According to Ralphy

Lobb to Dogs is officially on with talks underway. Lions want to trade 21 and a future first for Dunkley. Then 21 could be on traded for Lobb. Or used in the deal. Freo asking for a first rounder for a contracted player. Details here https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f447.png https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-follow-all-the-latest-news-on-the-big-deals-as-it-happens/news-story/bd7a529ec72ba483cdc51d310d666ebb (https://t.co/ekcJRux1fL)

If this is actually the offer we should take it. Somehow though I think Brisbane are wanting something additional, otherwise I think we would have already taken that deal.

We're all expecting Brisbane's first pick next year to be the same as this year - 15, but if you use the law of averages it's probably more like 12. They're a good side but so were we last year, and they've been up for a while without success, add in the Fagan controversy and I could see them slipping.

12 & 21 is close to the 12 & 19 that sealed the Taranto deal.

Regarding Lobb, I've said it before but I'll be disappointed if we give up anything in the top 30 to get him. I understand that we've made the commitment and that it might now require giving up 21, from the position we're in I think that's probably reasonable, but we got ourselves in this position by courting a contracted 30 year old - a mistake in my view.

Topdog
11-10-2022, 03:24 PM
If this is actually the offer we should take it. Somehow though I think Brisbane are wanting something additional, otherwise I think we would have already taken that deal.

We're all expecting Brisbane's first pick next year to be the same as this year - 15, but if you use the law of averages it's probably more like 12. They're a good side but so were we last year, and they've been up for a while without success, add in the Fagan controversy and I could see them slipping.

12 & 21 is close to the 12 & 19 that sealed the Taranto deal.

Regarding Lobb, I've said it before but I'll be disappointed if we give up anything in the top 30 to get him. I understand that we've made the commitment and that it might now require giving up 21, from the position we're in I think that's probably reasonable, but we got ourselves in this position by courting a contracted 30 year old - a mistake in my view.

They arent offering 12 & 21 though, its highly likely that next year 1st rounder for Brisbane will be 15+, feels like it will be 17 & 21.

AshMac
11-10-2022, 08:09 PM
They arent offering 12 & 21 though, its highly likely that next year 1st rounder for Brisbane will be 15+, feels like it will be 17 & 21.

Probably 19 and 23 after the FS and Academy players.

So in short - could be 2 second round picks

Scraggers
11-10-2022, 08:36 PM
If the offer was 21 plus a future first and second pick for Dunkley and our future third/fourth rounder, I’m listening.

In regards to Lobb. The only get 21 if they give something back.

I’m still very happy to walk Dunkley to the PSD with a contract in our hand for him as we guide him there

kruder
11-10-2022, 08:41 PM
Id take future first and 21 for Dunkley if I could trade Lobb in for pick 30.

Flamethrower
11-10-2022, 08:51 PM
The Lions need as many points as possible to facilitate matching likely bids for Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher.

I would do the Dunkley deal this way: Dunkley plus our 2022 3rd round pick for pick 21, the Lion's 2023 1st round pick and 2023 2nd round pick. That gives them more points this year when they need them, and us more picks in 2023.

Then I would offer pick 21 to Fremantle for Lobb. Or keep 21 and offer Fremantle our 2nd round pick and 4th round pick for their 4th round pick and Lobb.

GVGjr
11-10-2022, 09:00 PM
If the offer was 21 plus a future first and second pick for Dunkley and our future third/fourth rounder, I’m listening.

In regards to Lobb. The only get 21 if they give something back.

I’m still very happy to walk Dunkley to the PSD with a contract in our hand for him as we guide him there

I can see the merit in this suggestion.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 09:43 PM
They have Gunston.
They have enough points for Ashcroft & Fletcher.
They have offered up Future First for Dunkley.

They are so close to a mammoth trade period result. It’s bloody mindedness to refuse a player trade or work harder to put up sufficient picks. They are so close to pulling off the allegedly impossible while still holding future 2nd, 3rd and 4ths. I can’t understand why they haven’t just secured him with a decisive trade. But whatever.

bornadog
11-10-2022, 10:13 PM

I think that would be the best case scenario. Let's hope Brisbane finish down the ladder as well - that would top it off

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 10:30 PM

Yep - it's a bit unders but I can live with that. If we end up moving 21 on in any way to get Lobb, it's back to being a poor result.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 10:33 PM
Yep - it's a bit unders but I can live with that. If we end up moving 21 on in any way to get Lobb, it's back to being a poor result.

They’re demanding 39 back. So it’s a Future First and an 18 pick upgrade.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2022, 10:35 PM
They’re demanding 39 back. So it’s a Future First and an 18 pick upgrade.

Add Lohmann and I'll do it.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2022, 10:42 PM
Add Lohmann and I'll do it.

Two outcomes on above.

1. Dunkley PSD, Lobb fails to get here, just a 30 year Jones

2. Lobb, Jones, Lohmann (Mature KPF/Ruck, Mature KPD, Exciting Small Forward, Future First)

Talk about extremes!

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 12:41 AM
If the Dunkley offer is as weak as is being mentioned and we have to chip in a lot more for Lobb it's essentially going to be lose Dunkley gain Lobb and some bits n pieces and that will be a terrible result.

Happy Days
12-10-2022, 04:09 PM
It’s becoming an impressively bad trade period.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 04:11 PM

For whatever reason I'm all calm about it.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Schache to Melbourne seems a definite from what they're saying on the afl broadcast.
They didn't mention Hunter at all.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Schache to Melbourne seems a definite from what they're saying on the afl broadcast.
They didn't mention Hunter at all.

I'll miss him. His form was very good this year but when Bruce came back we weren't interested in playing him.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 04:20 PM
Sweet needs to have an out of body pre season at this rate.

josie
12-10-2022, 04:56 PM
I’m really sad to see Schache go. Hope he does well and receives more opportunities than with us, even though it’s with the Dees. Could be another in the list of players that do ok elsewhere. Having watched the vfl games this year I really felt like he was turning the corner with his intent. Perhaps club is right and his lack of grit will see him fail at his 3rd club. Only time will tell.

All the best Josh.

Hotdog60
12-10-2022, 05:04 PM
If brown drops form or gets injured he'll get his chance as they play similar in the forward line as lead up type players.

F'scary
12-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Melbourne have traded F4 pick (currently 72 and worth 0 draft points) for Schache. I suppose that means we got something for him.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 05:09 PM
Out: Weiderman, 4th Future
In: Schache, Pick 37

Hunt out for Pick 54
Bedford out for Pick 44

Plus Grundy for 27, $300,000 a year, and a heap of picks for Jackson.

Melbourne, Richmond and Geelong getting even stronger in the short and medium terms. Brisbane and Freo maybe too. Many of top 8 teams from this year are getting stronger.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 05:15 PM
And we have been having high tea with scones for a week

mjp
12-10-2022, 06:54 PM

I'm actively cheering for the PSD (for Dunks) right now.

I don't care if we don't get what we want. Just as long as Brisbane and Dunks don't get what they want.

Yep - I'm bitter and NO, I simply don't care about getting 'Nothing' for him. NOTHING would be better than him right now in any case. Loved him as a player and respected the way he toiled away all year despite having made the decision to leave...but right now I hope he goes to NM and that news is followed the next day by Clarkson being stood down and NM being forced to re-ignite their search for a senior coach.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 06:57 PM

I don't care if we don't get what we want. Just as long as Brisbane and Dunks don't get what they want.

Yep - I'm bitter and NO, I simply don't care about getting 'Nothing' for him. NOTHING would be better than him right now in any case. Loved him as a player and respected the way he toiled away all year despite having made the decision to leave...but right now I hope he goes to NM and that news is followed the next day by Clarkson being stood down and NM being forced to re-ignite their search for a senior coach.

Josh Dunkley to North and Andrew Dunkley to be named new coach.

It's Trump style 4 d chess.

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 07:01 PM

MJP he doesn't want to be with us, we need to accept this breakup like adults.
Yes, he and Tippah are insanely good looking and it's hard to let that go... But it's time.

mjp
12-10-2022, 07:04 PM
MJP he doesn't want to be with us, we need to accept this breakup like adults.
Yes, he and Tippah are insanely good looking and it's hard to let that go... But it's time.

I've accepted it. But I'm not helping him leave - he can pack his own bags and hitch a ride to Arden St.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2022, 07:05 PM
I've accepted it. But I'm not helping him leave - he can pack his own bags and hitch a ride to Arden St.

It's also raining right now so there's the added bonus that further ruins his day.

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 07:06 PM

Agree 100%

G-Mo77
12-10-2022, 07:07 PM
I swore I wouldn't tune into to trade radio/video. Here I am having a beer watching it.

mjp
12-10-2022, 07:13 PM
I swore I wouldn't tune into to trade radio/video. Here I am having a beer watching it.

I'm lucky - it's only 3pm here and I am supposedly 'working' till 8:30pm tonight. Right now that involves locking my office door, ignoring my clients and staff and refreshing WOOF.

EasternWest
12-10-2022, 07:15 PM

Thanks for your service.

1eyedog
12-10-2022, 07:15 PM

Bang and thanks for all the fish.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2022, 07:27 PM
I really hope we don’t give pick 21 for Lobb. We gave up pick 19 for Steven Koops and Fremantle picked Mundy with that pick. I’d rather take pick 21 to the draft. Spending it on a 30 year old is bollocks

Topdog
12-10-2022, 07:28 PM
mjp right now
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/134/elmo.jpg