PDA

View Full Version : Driving a hard bargain to where?

azabob
12-10-2022, 07:41 AM
We all love what Sam Power does at the trade table in extracting value from deals and holding firm for the benefit of our club.

But does this come at a cost later down the line?

The footy world is a very small industry and very ego drive and if a club gets one over you; I'm sure you are thinking of that next time around.

Some examples of recent trades; which were great outcomes for our club.

Marcus Adams - Power held firm and squeezed Brisbane for an F3
Adam Treloar - Power held firm with how much salary Collingwood paid and managed to get vital draft points for JUH
Alex Keath - Received Keath and F3 for pick 45 and F2
Josh Bruce - Received picks 31and 51 - when saints were asking for mid teen to 20 pick.

Next time around on the merry go round;

*Adelaide bid on JUH making us pay full odds when they publicly stated they didn't rate him as the number one pick
GWS bid on Sam Darcy making us pay full odds and then don't bid on Nick Daicos and likely not to bid on Will Ashcroft. *Thanks Jason McCartney first time you didn't go back on your word.
*Brisbane - Now holding firm on the Dunkley deal to be mainly be jerks.

Don't get me wrong I'm still backing in Sam Power to hold firm on Brisbane and wouldn't change anything about the listed trades above. Just some food for thought.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 08:13 AM
Just the nature of things.

Brisbane forced us to cough up two picks for Schache, who had emptied his locker and driven home to Victoria.
Essendon held us over a barrel for Stringer. After getting the pick for Zach Merrett for Stewart Crameri.
Fremantle got Hamling on the cheap.
After convincing our captain to walk out, and couldn't offer Boyd a million a season, GWS still demanded our first rounder. And got it.

Everyone wants the bigger, better deal. Sometimes you're the windscreen, sometimes you're the fly. If I had my time again, I'd do it all the same.

Scorlibo
12-10-2022, 09:18 AM

Brisbane forced us to cough up two picks for Schache, who had emptied his locker and driven home to Victoria.
Essendon held us over a barrel for Stringer. After getting the pick for Zach Merrett for Stewart Crameri.
After convincing our captain to walk out, and couldn't offer Boyd a million a season, GWS still demanded our first rounder. And got it.

Everyone wants the bigger, better deal. Sometimes you're the windscreen, sometimes you're the fly. If I had my time again, I'd do it all the same.

Some of those trades before Power came in were real shockers. The Stringer trade is the worst of the lot. At that stage he was 23, had twice kicked 50 goals in a season, AA, dynamic game breaker. How could we have walked away without at least one first round pick?

Aza - personally I don't think Power is on anyone's blacklist, if that's even possible. Have a look at Dodoro who's been everyone's least favourite list manager, he's still kicking. Clubs have short memories when there's an opportunity on the table.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 09:28 AM
No list manager is going to get every trade done because of the variables of the system but I genuinely believe Sam is doing a good job for us and his analytical and pragmatic approach wouldn't burn bridges.
I feel he is often criticised for the Schache deal when in part it was forced on him to get a trade and a good news story completed when the club needed it.

We've been dealt a shitty hand and at the moment we may not have played it that well but I'm all for walking away from these deals if they don't make sense for the club.

Scorlibo
12-10-2022, 09:33 AM
I feel he is often criticised for the Schache deal when in part it was forced on him to get a trade and a good news story completed when the club needed it.

Wasn't the Schache deal done before Power's appointment?

azabob
12-10-2022, 09:37 AM

As Scorbilo notes, all those trades were done when we had Jason "fold em" McCartney in charge.

Everything Power has done in his time in charge has been pretty good in my view and I wouldn't change a thing. The McCartney era that is an entirely different conversation.

azabob
12-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Some of those trades before Power came in were real shockers. The Stringer trade is the worst of the lot. At that stage he was 23, had twice kicked 50 goals in a season, AA, dynamic game breaker. How could we have walked away without at least one first round pick?

Aza - personally I don't think Power is on anyone's blacklist, if that's even possible. Have a look at Dodoro who's been everyone's least favourite list manager, he's still kicking. Clubs have short memories when there's an opportunity on the table.

The industry is too small for blacklisting people, but petty revenge such as father son, academy bids and holding out on deals such as Dunkley would definitely happen.

Power plays 99% of the other football admin people on a five cent piece and they all know it.

It is more of an observation and I again say I don't want Power to change his tact.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 09:43 AM
Power is an emotionless robot who doesn't blink.
He is devoid of emotion and mortal human failings.

I think we'll pay overs and get Lobb over the line, and take unders but get a better deal for Dunkley than what Brisbane are currently offering. Swings and roundabouts.

After the rolled gold free hits we got for Marra, Darcy & Treloar we can afford a year where the situation just isn't in our favour - we still get to take a first rounder to draft, sign Jones who I hope helps, and watch Marra & Darcy develop.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 09:46 AM

Stringer was about right, and it has been proven since he is an average footballer.

mjp
12-10-2022, 10:36 AM
Stringer was about right, and it has been proven since he is an average footballer.

The coach coming out and announcing he wasn't welcome at the footy club didn't exactly help our negotiating position...

Scorlibo
12-10-2022, 10:36 AM

Average footballers don't average 1.8 goals a game (same as Eddie Betts)

By 2017 he'd played five years and kicked 150 goals as a ground level forward. From the 16/17/18 drafts (ie. players around the same age as Stringer was at the time) there are only four with similar scoreboard output - Nick Larkey, Aaron Naughton, Bayley Fritsch and Max King. No way known would any of those guys be traded without their clubs receiving at least one first round pick in return. We sold Stringer for a song.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 10:38 AM
The coach coming out and announcing he wasn't welcome at the footy club didn't exactly help our negotiating position...

True he shouldn't have said anything, but I think in the end the trade was about right. Although on potential, I agree we should have got more.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 10:40 AM
Average footballers don't average 1.8 goals a game (same as Eddie Betts)

By 2017 he'd played five years and kicked 150 goals as a ground level forward. From the 16/17/18 drafts (ie. players around the same age as Stringer was at the time) there are only four with similar scoreboard output - Nick Larkey, Aaron Naughton, Bayley Fritsch and Max King. No way known would any of those guys be traded without their clubs receiving at least one first round pick in return. We sold Stringer for a song.

Had one exceptional year - 2015

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 10:43 AM

We paid a price for that and lost our bargaining power.

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 10:44 AM

Didn't you want him back the other week?

Happy Days
12-10-2022, 10:57 AM
If we don’t make that Schache trade then the Stringer deal would’ve been good.

bornadog
12-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Didn't you want him back the other week?

Forgetting what he did in the past as a person, yes. We can do with a forward his size, but doesn't mean he is a first rounder.

First rounders are getting ridiculous now - the market is based on what a player may be able to do, not on their record. eg How can Rankin go for pick 5, yet we can't get that for Dunkley?

GVGjr
12-10-2022, 11:12 AM
Forgetting what he did in the past as a person, yes. We can do with a forward his size, but doesn't mean he is a first rounder.

First rounders are getting ridiculous now - the market is based on what a player may be able to do, not on their record. eg How can Rankin go for pick 5, yet we can't get that for Dunkley?

Forgetting his indiscretions I don't understand why you considered bringing back a player a week or so ago given that you now regard as average.

Mofra
12-10-2022, 11:17 AM
If we don’t make that Schache trade then the Stringer deal would’ve been good.
True. But then we wouldn't have Richards. And if not for Monash Freeway traffic, Carlton would have taken Richards and left us with Lachie O'Brien.

Butterfly Effect

Happy Days
12-10-2022, 11:23 AM
True. But then we wouldn't have Richards. And if not for Monash Freeway traffic, Carlton would have taken Richards and left us with Lachie O'Brien.

Butterfly Effect

I like to think that we wouldn't have drafted O'Brien because we're an actual good football side.

mjp
12-10-2022, 11:25 AM
I like to think that we wouldn't have drafted O'Brien because we're an actual good football side.

The butterfly effect of landing at the Dogs might have had a remarkably positive influence on O'Brien. The impact of club on the career trajectory of the draftee is pretty massive...

Scorlibo
12-10-2022, 11:26 AM

Butterfly Effect

Notwithstanding that we did land Richards at 16 (nice drafting), the trade with Carlton that trade period was also a bit of a disaster. We gave up #28, #30 and the 2018 #31 for #16 and #40. Guess who was on the other side of that deal for Carlton? Sam Power.

Not saying we would have drafted them but picks 25, 28 and 30 in that draft ended up being Noah Balta, Sam Taylor and Tom De Koning :eek:

soupman
12-10-2022, 11:38 AM
Think Power is pretty good at the trade table. Dodoro has never faced consequences for being a dick there, and not sure we have either.

Man JMac was all time bad.

I'm less convinced about Powers ability as a list manager, and if this off season heads the way I think it is then I'm happy to declare him a huge failure in this regard. Today hopefully exceeds my expectations

azabob
12-10-2022, 11:40 AM
Think Power is pretty good at the trade table. Dodoro has never faced consequences for being a dick there, and not sure we have either.

Man JMac was all time bad.

I'm less convinced about Powers ability as a list manager, and if this off season heads the way I think it is then I'm happy to declare him a huge failure in this regard. Today hopefully exceeds my expectations

I really would love to hear your expansive thoughts on these tomorrow regardless how all this plays out.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 11:57 AM
Stringer is many things, mostly a dickhead but he is very far from an average footballer talent wise.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Stringer is many things, mostly a dickhead but he is very far from an average footballer talent wise.

And that is why their wasn't a first round pick for him.