PDA

View Full Version : Delisted Free Agent Watch 2022

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 10:01 PM
Assuming we are looking for a role player, now the watch is on delistings. Brisbane will have a lot, list below not too much. I read something about Rowe from Adelaide as of somewhat interest.

Not many highlights so far. Sproule and Stein from GWS (i think the other forum mentioned we were tracking Stein in 2020 or 2021. Phillips once played ok footy at Collingwood on a wing. We can reunite the Rising Star in Lewis Taylor with thr runner up, with that guy on our list (Not really, I imagine Ronke gets cut, but has only played one really good game from memory). Can WA boy Joel Western play as a small forward. He's was clearly behind some good ones at Freo. Narkle at Geelong.

No doubt there's going to be a flood of names in the weeks ahead.

Taking on a DFA would mean two of the three unsigned players need to be moved on (Wallis, Butler, Martin). Or re-sign two of three just named and be more loyal.

Brisbane need to open 4-5 more spots, depending on their strategy. Here's their uncontracted list according to footy wire:

Callum Ah Chee
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Connor McFadyen
Deividas Uosis DELISTED
Deven Robertson Will be re-signed
Ely Smith DELISTED
Mitch Robinson DELISTED
Mitchell Cox DELSITED
Ryan Lester
Tom Fullarton (200cm - can provide ruck depth as good as Martin?)

DOG GOD
12-10-2022, 10:03 PM
Assuming we are looking for a role player, now the watch is on delistings. Brisbane will have a lot, list below not too much. I read something about Rowe from Adelaide as of somewhat interest.

Not many highlights so far. Sproule and Stein from GWS (i think the other forum mentioned we were tracking Stein in 2020 or 2021. Phillips once played ok footy at Collingwood on a wing. We can reunite the Rising Star in Lewis Taylor with thr runner up, with that guy on our list (Not really, I imagine Ronke gets cut, but has only played one really good game from memory). Can WA boy Joel Western play as a small forward. He's was clearly behind some good ones at Freo. Narkle at Geelong.

No doubt there's going to be a flood of names in the weeks ahead.

Taking on a DFA would mean two of the three unsigned players need to be moved on (Wallis, Butler, Martin). Or re-sign two of three just named and be more loyal.

Brisbane need to open 4-5 more spots, depending on their strategy. Here's their uncontracted list according to footy wire:

Callum Ah Chee
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Connor McFadyen
Deividas Uosis DELISTED
Deven Robertson Will be re-signed
Ely Smith DELISTED
Mitch Robinson DELISTED
Mitchell Cox DELSITED
Ryan Lester
Tom Fullarton (200cm - can provide ruck depth as good as Martin?)

Hmmm not much there is there.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 10:06 PM
Pretty bare right now. Essentially changing the uncontracted depth (Wallis, Martin and/or Butler) or a different kind if depth player that either addresses a specific need, or will get played, or the game has completely passed them by.

F'scary
14-10-2022, 12:51 PM
I like this thread. Remember, we got Hamling and Gardiner through this channel.

FrediKanoute
14-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Got to ask the question will someone's DFA be better than our DFA's? This there may be some guys out there who could improve on Parker, Butler and Martin.

hujsh
14-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Got to ask the question will someone's DFA be better than our DFA's? This there may be some guys out there who could improve on Parker, Butler and Martin.

I'm going to just copy mjp here, because I'm a hack and a fraud and he actually knows things, and say we probably would want to try and find someone not given the opportunity at AFL level. Hamling and Gardner (MSD not DFA but still) fit that criteria when we got them.

I have no idea who would be worth targeting though because chances are the players worth picking up are players I've never heard of since I don't watch the lower leagues.

Right now my main question is how many list spots do we have available after the first 3 draft picks?

bulldogtragic
28-10-2022, 11:23 PM
Matt Rendell guessing we could/should/would be interested in Aarts or Rowe. From a stat perspective, they’re virtually identical:

Aarts - Rowe
27yo - 23yo
177cm - 173cm
76kg - 76kg

42 - 36 Games

9.7 - 12.6 Disposals
2.1 - 2.6 Marks
0.8 - 0.8 Goals
0.5 - 0.6 Behinds
2.4 - 1.7 Tackles (In 2021, tackle I50, Aarts 1.0, Rowe 1.1 - McNeil 1.08)
0.4 - 0.5 GA’s
1.6 - 2.0 I50’s
1.2 - 0.5 Frees Against

Both mature age recruits from state leagues.
Both delisted.
Both only a fractional upgrade on output over McNeil.

I guess Rowe by a nose, maybe, if this is the plan.

Hotdog60
28-10-2022, 11:31 PM
Going by the stats I would agree with Rowe winning out on the age profile.

GVGjr
28-10-2022, 11:32 PM
Good stuff BT, I'd lean towards Aarts but it's close.

F'scary
28-10-2022, 11:43 PM
Matt Rendell guessing we could/should/would be interested in Aarts or Rowe. From a stat perspective, they’re virtually identical:

Aarts - Rowe
27yo - 23yo
177cm - 173cm
76kg - 76kg

42 - 36 Games

9.7 - 12.6 Disposals
2.1 - 2.6 Marks
0.8 - 0.8 Goals
0.5 - 0.6 Behinds
2.4 - 1.7 Tackles (In 2021, tackle I50, Aarts 1.0, Rowe 1.1 - McNeil 1.08)
0.4 - 0.5 GA’s
1.6 - 2.0 I50’s
1.2 - 0.5 Frees Against

Both mature age recruits from state leagues.
Both delisted.
Both only a fractional upgrade on output over McNeil.

I guess Rowe by a nose, maybe, if this is the plan.

But McNeil wasn't good enough to be a DFA, so of course they're better.

hujsh
29-10-2022, 12:17 AM
Thought Rowe was younger TBH. Only in the system 2 years

Swoop
29-10-2022, 12:54 AM
I'd rather pass but quality of character would also add a contributing factor.

Rowe is more of a natural goalkicker whereas Aarts will provide better defensive pressure. I guess it depends on what we rate higher or what we want in the side.

I feel with our tall forwards we prefer a natural crumbing forward which would be Rowe. I also feel like he has a higher ceiling. Aarts isn't going to improve but what you see is what you get.

macca
29-10-2022, 04:39 AM
What has happened to Sydney stack ? I just wonder what were reasons Richmond delisted him ? I guess he may be behind a few small fwds. But with Edwards retiring their must be competition for that mid/fwd role type

I get a feeling Geelong are going to pickup him up as a Smokey and try to
Train him to grow up in their system , like how they did for Stengle.

I would pick Stack over any of these small forwards on talent , if not sure on his professionalism and training ability .

Mofra
29-10-2022, 10:00 AM
I'd rather pass but quality of character would also add a contributing factor.

Rowe is more of a natural goalkicker whereas Aarts will provide better defensive pressure. I guess it depends on what we rate higher or what we want in the side.

I feel with our tall forwards we prefer a natural crumbing forward which would be Rowe. I also feel like he has a higher ceiling. Aarts isn't going to improve but what you see is what you get.
I really hope we wait until after the draft to sign a DFA. If we end up with a defensive beast small forward (e.g. Konstanty), that swings the needle firmly in Rowe's favour.

Dogs 24/7
29-10-2022, 10:06 AM
I really hope we wait until after the draft to sign a DFA. If we end up with a defensive beast small forward (e.g. Konstanty), that swings the needle firmly in Rowe's favour.

Thats a good way of looking at it but if we did land Konstanty or Clarke would we need another small forward even if they did offer a point of difference to the player we drafted?

Jasper
29-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Do we even need to bring in delisted free agents? Over the last couple of years we have added some fringe players from the state leagues that give you some options early on but in the main you have to accept a lower level of performances from them. Why not look at the draft and back ourselves to find players with scope for improvement?

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 11:20 AM
What has happened to Sydney stack ? I just wonder what were reasons Richmond delisted him ? I guess he may be behind a few small fwds. But with Edwards retiring their must be competition for that mid/fwd role type

I get a feeling Geelong are going to pickup him up as a Smokey and try to
Train him to grow up in their system , like how they did for Stengle.

I would pick Stack over any of these small forwards on talent , if not sure on his professionalism and training ability .

I don't know Macca, Stack can play some very good football but do we have a genuine ability to turn around players?
Geelong have proven they can do it and there might be some lessons we can learn from them but we need to have a real plan before taking on players from other sides.

azabob
29-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Do we even need to bring in delisted free agents? Over the last couple of years we have added some fringe players from the state leagues that give you some options early on but in the main you have to accept a lower level of performances from them. Why not look at the draft and back ourselves to find players with scope for improvement?

Jasper, I tend to agree but I'm happy enough to take a risk on a position of need for DFA.

I wouldn't be going for an out and out midfielder. Key defender, small forward is definitely something we should look at.

azabob
29-10-2022, 11:24 AM
I don't know Macca, Stack can play some very good football but do we have a genuine ability to turn around players?

Yep, I think that point is lost on a lot of our supporters.
We have enough trouble keeping our players on the straight and narrow (Stringer, Dalhaus, Biggs, Hunter, etc.) let alone bringing in other players who may disrupt our group.

bornadog
29-10-2022, 12:19 PM
we need to have a real plan before taking on players from other sides.

Keath, Bruce, Duryea, Lobb, Crozier, Hannan, O'Brien, Treolar, - all say hello.

Sydney would be different because he already has some off field issues, but we do now have Varcoe and it would depend if he felt comfortable with working with him.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 01:17 PM
Keath, Bruce, Duryea, Lobb, Crozier, Hannan, O'Brien, Treolar, - all say hello.

Sydney would be different because he already has some off field issues, but we do now have Varcoe and it would depend if he felt comfortable with working with him.

None of those players had been delisted by their clubs or had any challenges with their behaviour or attitude.
I think we've had challenges managing some players and before taking on someone like Sydney Stack I'd hope we have a plan to make it a success rather than just bringing in a player because of what he might be able to achieve.

Happy Days
29-10-2022, 01:24 PM
As I’ve said before I could live with Rowe. He probably isn’t quick enough but he’s shown real promise with his delivery inside 50 and also has that thing to his game where he can get really hot for bursts.

Aarts is terrible and it’s nets for someone if we pick him up.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 01:37 PM
As I’ve said before I could live with Rowe. He probably isn’t quick enough but he’s shown real promise with his delivery inside 50 and also has that thing to his game where he can get really hot for bursts.

Aarts is terrible and it’s nets for someone if we pick him up.
He would be a player we could still be keen on. It will be interesting to see if we make a decision to bring him in.

WBFC4FFC
31-10-2022, 05:10 PM
He would be a player we could still be keen on. It will be interesting to see if we make a decision to bring him in.

At the least, he should do a pre-season at the club (if invited)!

bulldogtragic
03-11-2022, 09:49 AM
The delisted free agency window is now open. Let’s now see if we bring one in now, pre-draft.

F'scary
03-11-2022, 12:51 PM
The delisted free agency window is now open. Let’s now see if we bring one in now, pre-draft.

If our 2023 season starts off really badly, e.g., 0-6 or something, it is a fact that lots of punters are going to be saying things like "how come we don't have a few DFA's and rookies to bring in so we can start winning again..." The melts if we miss out are going to be huge.

Testekill
03-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Apparently some interest in Naismith from us but he's yet to complete a medical with us. We have spoken to his manager though.

While we need ruck depth, I'd rather we get someone that hasn't had 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries.

soupman
03-11-2022, 01:18 PM
Apparently some interest in Naismith from us but he's yet to complete a medical with us. We have spoken to his manager though.

While we need ruck depth, I'd rather we get someone that hasn't had 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries.

Maybe the one bloke in the league more broken than Stefan Martin.

Axe Man
03-11-2022, 01:22 PM
Hawks sign forward after impressive VFL season, Dogs consider ex-Dee (https://www.afl.com.au/news/862995/hawks-sign-forward-after-impressive-vfl-season-dogs-consider-ex-dee)

HAWTHORN has signed former Western Bulldogs forward Fergus Greene as a delisted free agent, while the Bulldogs are considering a cut Demon as a potential rookie pick-up.

Greene was delisted by the Bulldogs at the end of 2020 but retains delisted free agency status, under which he has joined the Hawks with the window opening on Thursday.

The medium forward starred for the Box Hill Hawks this season in the VFL, kicking 53 goals and being a dominant option throughout the campaign. Greene looms as a possible replacement in attack for Jack Gunston, who joined Brisbane during the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

He will add to a list of Box Hill products the Hawks have signed under coach Sam Mitchell, including mid-season selections Jai Newcombe and James Blanck.

Greene, who is 24, played five games for the Bulldogs in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are looking at delisted Melbourne speedster Oskar Baker as a potential rookie pick-up, with clubs continuing to scour the market for mature-age options.

Baker was cut by the Demons at the end of this season after five years and 15 games with the club.

The Dogs have interest in Baker among a group of possible experienced options who could be in contention for a rookie spot later this month.

The first delisted free agency window opened on Thursday but many clubs will wait until the rookie draft or the pre-season supplemental period before adding players who have been delisted by rivals.

It allows clubs flexibility on draft night as they take in their respective hands of picks while also does not fill a primary list position.

Baker, 24, is a quick wingman who was a key part of the Casey Demons' VFL premiership this season.

soupman
03-11-2022, 01:33 PM
I liked Baker a few years ago and put his name up here at some point but he seems to have been lost in the wilderness this year.

He is quick, real straight lines (sprint 20m with ball then kick it straight 45m, ie. Very direct). Maybe a bit like Vandermeer when he is running in space (but don't think he gets as overexcited).

Testekill
03-11-2022, 01:58 PM
I know literally nothing about Baker but if he's quick and can kick it well then I'd be fine with him as cheap depth.

GVGjr
03-11-2022, 02:35 PM
I liked Baker a few years ago and put his name up here at some point but he seems to have been lost in the wilderness this year.

He is quick, real straight lines (sprint 20m with ball then kick it straight 45m, ie. Very direct). Maybe a bit like Vandermeer when he is running in space (but don't think he gets as overexcited).

A Melbourne mate thinks they never got enough out of him. Sounds like a decent rookie option if we are genuinely interested.

Hot_Doggies
03-11-2022, 05:16 PM

I don’t mind Baker. The knock on him is his disposal. He has pace, works hard and is pretty tough. Might be worth a shot playing him as a lock down small defender if the wing isn’t his go.

F'scary
03-11-2022, 10:25 PM
I don’t mind Baker. The knock on him is his disposal. He has pace, works hard and is pretty tough. Might be worth a shot playing him as a lock down small defender if the wing isn’t his go.

oh no, another one who can't kick :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axe Man
04-11-2022, 04:03 PM
WHY DELISTED SWAN SAT OUT 2022 DESPITE BEING “GOOD TO GO” AFTER INJURY CONCERNS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/02/why-delisted-swan-sat-out-2022-despite-being-good-to-go-after-injury/)

Injury-plagued Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith was one of three Swans delisted on Tuesday.

After being picked up in the 2012 Rookie Draft, Naismith underwent three ACL repairs which kept him to just two games since 2017 and 30 overall.

While the 205cm ruck spent 2021 and 2022 on the sidelines, he says he was fit to go late last season, but failed to return to the field as Swans took an ultra-cautious approach with his injury recovery.

Naismith says the decision to take all of 2022 off was made midway through the 2021 campaign following a “botched” ACL surgery.

“It was a hard decision,” Naismith said on SEN Dwayne’s World.

“I came back in 2021 and played against Collingwood VFL for half a game there and the week after I played half a game against Casey.

“I was playing some really good footy in my two games back, but I went and had a scan and it turned out with my surgery the ACL was botched, it turned out there was no ACL there at all.

“It was sort of like, I played those games without one, so it was like, ‘Do we keep going on with it?’. Or do we have surgery, do a two-part one, and take 15 months to make sure of it to give myself the best chance of playing footy again?

“That’s the one we opted for, Horse wrapped me in bubble wrap, and he said, ‘Even if you are good next year, we’re not going to roll the dice, it’s going to give you the best chance of playing some good footy’.

“If something was to happen and we came back too early, he wouldn’t be able to live with himself and he knows that if I do get myself right, I’ll be good to go.”

The 30-year-old says he felt ready to go as the 2022 season continued, but had to stick to the plan to give himself the best possibility of staying fit if he returned in 2023.

“It was sort of hard towards the end of the year saying, ‘Mate, I want to help out, I want to help the team go and build towards a Grand Final’,” Naismith said.

“You want to be a part of that as much as you can, but we had those conversations early to mid-2021.”

After being delisted, Naismith says he’s ready to hit the ground running if given another opportunity.

“I’m just trying to navigate the next couple of weeks to see if there’s any potential to find a new home,” Naismith said.

“I’m good to go, so I’m just trying to do as much as I can to press my case.

“I know in myself that if I get an opportunity, I’ll be able to sort of prove it.

“Hopefully something comes up, my manager Ben has been chatting to a few clubs so hopefully something sticks out in the next couple of weeks.”

Naismith and other axed players will be able to find new clubs when the delisted free agency window takes place between November 3 and 9.

hujsh
04-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Seems a pretty obvious candidate for us as depth.

jazzadogs
04-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Seems a pretty obvious candidate for us as depth.

I don't have a major issue with it but...injuries aside...is he good? Are there no comparable options without the injury history?

soupman
04-11-2022, 11:26 PM
Yeah he wasn't bad when he played but thats not an amazing starting point to then get hit by 3 ACLs. Would be pretty happy keeping Sweet as our backup, with Lobb and a rookie as extra backups.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-11-2022, 06:38 PM
Yeah he wasn't bad when he played but thats not an amazing starting point to then get hit by 3 ACLs. Would be pretty happy keeping Sweet as our backup, with Lobb and a rookie as extra backups.

He is just not worth a spot on our list. Bevo will not play him and he shouldn’t get a game ahead of Sweet

Mofra
07-11-2022, 09:59 AM
He is just not worth a spot on our list. Bevo will not play him and he shouldn’t get a game ahead of Sweet
I think we need more than just two legitimate ruckmen on our list.
Developing or back-up, we have to rookie a third.

Testekill
07-11-2022, 12:36 PM
I don't have a major issue with it but...injuries aside...is he good? Are there no comparable options without the injury history?

Naismith was always alright but at 30 and with a serious history of knee injuries he's just not worth picking up.

bornadog
07-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Naismith was always alright but at 30 and with a serious history of knee injuries he's just not worth picking up.

We don't want to go down the Stef route again

GVGjr
07-11-2022, 01:04 PM

We need another ruckman and just need some insurance in case something happens to English. If Naismith offers that for a season at least we know what he is capable of.

Grantysghost
07-11-2022, 01:08 PM
We need another ruckman and just need some insurance in case something happens to English. If Naismith offers that for a season at least we know what he is capable of.

Agree if he's willing I definitely think he's worth having on the list as it's an area of need.
Even if only for one season.

bornadog
07-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Agree if he's willing I definitely think he's worth having on the list as it's an area of need.
Even if only for one season.

Isn't it just another short term fix? If we can get a younger player to develop for the future, wouldn't that be better.

hujsh
07-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Isn't it just another short term fix? If we can get a younger player to develop for the future, wouldn't that be better.

Depends on whats available and where we rate Sweet.

bornadog
07-11-2022, 02:27 PM
Depends on whats available and where we rate Sweet.

Sweet is also developing.

Grantysghost
07-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Depends on where we think we are in our window.

The perfect scenario would be a younger guy but I guess that's Sweet?

I agree with your philosophy, however for the ruck I think we really need a decent back up now.

Hopefully Sweet continues his development and can be that guy.

hujsh
07-11-2022, 02:36 PM

Sure, but at 24 he'd have to be somewhere near ready to go. Drafted in 2018 too.

GVGjr
07-11-2022, 03:26 PM
We don't want to go down the Stef route again

Using a late pick during the trade period to acquire Martin was a reasonable move, doing nothing the following year when he clearly struggled wasn't a good decision at all.

If we don't draft a ruck or key position player then we should consider an experienced player to provide some coverage.

bornadog
07-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Depends on where we think we are in our window.

The perfect scenario would be a younger guy but I guess that's Sweet?

I agree with your philosophy, however for the ruck I think we really need a decent back up now.

Hopefully Sweet continues his development and can be that guy.

Naismith with 3 ACLs and into his 30s is not what we need. The Stef Martin experiment didn't work.

When you say a decent ruckman, what level are you are talking? Someone to hang around the reserves team and wait for a chance? How good are they to just play VFL?

bornadog
07-11-2022, 03:30 PM
We should consider an experienced player to provide some coverage.

What sort of experienced player?

GVGjr
07-11-2022, 03:43 PM
What sort of experienced player?

Like a Naismith and it doesn't have to be him. If we can't draft an emerging player then getting someone who can cover 6 to 10 games in a season needs to be considered and I hope we could do better than Naismith. Due diligence needs to be performed but we need to find someone to replace Martin and if that isn't a youngster like Barnett. Knobel or Lemmey then we have to take a short horizon view and go for a player to cover the next year or two.

Scraggers
07-11-2022, 03:59 PM

Genuine question ... how are we developing Sweet? He gets very little game time in the seniors; do we have a designated ruck coach working with him and English?

GVGjr
07-11-2022, 04:01 PM
Genuine question ... how are we developing Sweet? He gets very little game time in the seniors; do we have a designated ruck coach working with him and English?

We have development coaches and he would have been working with Marc Webb last year. I think we should consider bringing in a specialist ruck coach if we draft a young ruckman.

Grantysghost
07-11-2022, 04:06 PM
Naismith with 3 ACLs and into his 30s is not what we need. The Stef Martin experiment didn't work.

When you say a decent ruckman, what level are you are talking? Someone to hang around the reserves team and wait for a chance? How good are they to just play VFL?

A backup with experience that can slot in and hold up his end. Martin I guess in his first season.

I'm not sold on Naismith, more the idea of getting some decent backup on the cheap (cash and pick wise).

Prefer Goldstein but we have Lobb and Goldy won't play VFL. (where's HD?)

It's probably not an easy role to fill, however I'd assume there's guys on state league lists who'd be champing at the bit.

soupman
07-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Shouldn't we make sure our "break glass in emergency" option isn't made of that glass?

If Sweet isn't in a position to be played when English isn't available then why is he on the list?

I'm all for picking up a ruck but please can we grab someone with a little bit of scope?

bornadog
07-11-2022, 05:17 PM
Like a Naismith and it doesn't have to be him. If we can't draft an emerging player then getting someone who can cover 6 to 10 games in a season needs to be considered and I hope we could do better than Naismith. Due diligence needs to be performed but we need to find someone to replace Martin and if that isn't a youngster like Barnett. Knobel or Lemmey then we have to take a short horizon view and go for a player to cover the next year or two.

This is the issue, I don't believe there is anyone out that other than a State league player.

I believe Martin has been helping both English and Sweet.

A backup with experience that can slot in and hold up his end. Martin I guess in his first season.

I'm not sold on Naismith, more the idea of getting some decent backup on the cheap (cash and pick wise).

Prefer Goldstein but we have Lobb and Goldy won't play VFL. (where's HD?)

It's probably not an easy role to fill, however I'd assume there's guys on state league lists who'd be champing at the bit.

That is why I am saying, it is a difficult role to fill, so better to rookie (or draft if we can) a young developing ruckman.
MJP has said for years we should draft or rookie Ruck every year - but, we don't and missed an opportunity over the last few years, ie when Boyd retired.

GVGjr
07-11-2022, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure how much longer we can keep highlighting Boyd's retirement as a reason for our dwindling ruck options but much like Rory Lobb he was a forward who rucked not a ruckman. We need to bring in a ruckman and at some point acknowledge that we run with limited options by design.
Going into a season we need to find some more coverage in case English gets injured.

hujsh
07-11-2022, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure how much longer we can keep highlighting Boyd's retirement as a reason for our dwindling ruck options but much like Rory Lobb he was a forward who rucked not a ruckman. We need to bring in a ruckman and at some point acknowledge that we run with limited options by design.
Going into a season we need to find some more coverage in case English gets injured.

BAD is saying we should have got someone in once Boyd retired BTW, not blaming our lack of rucks now on Boyd retiring. I don't think anyone can go that far back nowdays (and since then we've brought in Sweet as a developing ruck and Bruce as the ruck/forward so in theory we covered that Boyd gap eventually through one or both of them)

PS IIRC it was young Gardinegg that replaced Boyd in the MSD

EasternWest
07-11-2022, 06:41 PM
PS IIRC it was young Gardinegg that replaced Boyd in the MSD

Him?

jazzadogs
07-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Him?

Avoid the rush
08-11-2022, 09:10 AM
I am not sure if I am missing something, and I often do, but wouldn't Quinton Narkle be almost the perfect pick up for us as a DFA. The son of Phil is 24, been in the system since 2018 (5 Preseasons) at a great club, has all the skills, 182cm, is quick enough and is athletic and powerful. He played 6 or 7 games during the season last year for the premiers and dominated in the resies. Is there something they are not telling us?

GVGjr
08-11-2022, 09:18 AM
I am not sure if I am missing something, and I often do, but wouldn't Quinton Narkle be almost the perfect pick up for us as a DFA. The son of Phil is 24, been in the system since 2018 (5 Preseasons) at a great club, has all the skills, 182cm, is quick enough and is athletic and powerful. He played 6 or 7 games during the season last year for the premiers and dominated in the resies. Is there something they are not telling us?

I'm not sure but I think there is question marks on his intensity which may not suit us. On talent he looks like a good fit but I wonder which clubs might be interested in him and it's speculated that West Coast is one of them.

Avoid the rush
08-11-2022, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure but I think there is question marks on his intensity which may not suit us. On talent he looks like a good fit but I wonder which clubs might be interested in him and it's speculated that West Coast is one of them.

Have a feeling he is the type that Bevo can bring the best out of. Yea have heard he is on West Coast's radar but also heard he likes it here.

Dogs 24/7
08-11-2022, 10:41 AM

Where would he fit in for us?

Avoid the rush
08-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Where would he fit in for us?

I reckon forward flank and mid.

Axe Man
08-11-2022, 11:17 AM

This from the HUN:

Former Cats midfielder Quinton Narkle is yet to find a new home, Riley Collier-Dawkins has only modest interest and ex-Saint Jarrod Lienert will likely transition into AFL coaching.

Narkle could have to wait until after the draft to secure a rookie-list spot with clubs excited by the offensive aspects of his game but aware he is short on defensive intent.

At this stage he has not shown the inclination to take up an offer for what would likely be a summer train-on opportunity to win a rookie spot so any AFL hopes lie elsewhere.

Sounds like a very un-Bevo selection. Slim to no chance he is at the dogs next year I think.

chef
08-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Narkle doesn't work hard without the ball, no way Bevo would want him.

Rocco Jones
08-11-2022, 02:32 PM
It's funny that Bevo is so anti lack of hard work and we look like a one way running side. By funny, I mean another word.

GVGjr
08-11-2022, 04:02 PM
It's funny that Bevo is so anti lack of hard work and we look like a one way running side. By funny, I mean another word.

Would Hunter have been one of the two way runners?
It's a good point that you raise and it's hard to work out exactly what appeals to him

F'scary
08-11-2022, 05:53 PM
With Narkle, maybe you just accept that he is a very pacy, agile, forward of the ball player who selfishly likes to take shots on goal and have him in the squad as a crumbing deep forward option.

The Underdog
08-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Would Hunter have been one of the two way runners?
It's a good point that you raise and it's hard to work out exactly what appeals to him

I’m not sure if he was this year, but historically he absolutely was. I watched him bust his butt up and down that wing to make it to a contest/chase an opponent many a time

soupman
08-11-2022, 09:50 PM
With Narkle, maybe you just accept that he is a very pacy, agile, forward of the ball player who selfishly likes to take shots on goal and have him in the squad as a crumbing deep forward option.

That's not what he is though. We have an abundance of not quite mids masquerading as lacy forwards and none of them are really contributing to anything other than the pressure acts column on a consistent basis.

If we pic up a dfa then it should be for a specific role. Baker for instance seems to be for a wing spot.

Narkle has already shown he can't get gametime when his position (midfield) is stacked at one club, if we think that scenario is different at our club sure but we shouldn't grab him to do something else that he has tried already and failed in.

SquirrelGrip
09-11-2022, 11:59 AM
That's not what he is though. We have an abundance of not quite mids masquerading as lacy forwards and none of them are really contributing to anything other than the pressure acts column on a consistent basis.

If we pic up a dfa then it should be for a specific role. Baker for instance seems to be for a wing spot.

Narkle has already shown he can't get gametime when his position (midfield) is stacked at one club, if we think that scenario is different at our club sure but we shouldn't grab him to do something else that he has tried already and failed in.

Sydney Stack would be of more value on the field to us than Narkle. Ths issue with Stack is more off the field and whether we can tame him.

EasternWest
09-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Sydney Stack would be of more value on the field to us than Narkle. Ths issue with Stack is more off the field and whether we can tame him.

Phrasing.

F'scary
10-11-2022, 01:20 PM

Ok, I won't melt if we don't get him.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Poor AFEL, all these journos primed to create buzz around the Delisted Free Agency Window just got to actually report one AFEL player and one VFL player being picked up.

Wow.

They need to re-think this process with clubs clearly only looking at using rookie draft picks. But also the rookie list, with so many delistings with promises to rookie draft.

I’m not sure on the exact answer. But if they smoother the wage difference between late picks and rookies then the rookie list could just go and the main list increase. They’d need to increase the TPP too to account for rookie wages then being included. That’d eliminate the delisting/rookieing and clubs adjusting list balance. Perhaps picks after 60 get only a one year deal. The need for elevations and consent for third years are no longer considerations either. But keeping the ‘Cat B’ list.

With one list, then delisted free agents might move sooner, but for the ones clubs want them to train with over summer.

I’d also like an NGA like rule to enhance the state league affiliated club. Say our club can have one matched bid on a Footscray player once it’s passed say Pick 40. That might help stimulate talent development at the state affiliated club that can reward the club and player who has multi club interest if they’ve had a breakout year. If the club wants to match the bid of course.

While I’m at it, change the NGA cut off from Pick 40 into the ‘Last pick of the Second Round’. With the shuffling of picks, it should just simply be a kid that’s rated with the first two rounds is off limits.

I’m a traditionalist too, the draft in one night with no rookie draft.

Either kill the PSD, or allow clubs to trade picks. If you want to give clubs after a bad year/s a leg up without ‘emergency assistance’ let them trade Pick 1, 2, 3 etc in the PSD. If a club wants to speculate say a ‘Dunkley like trade’ falls over and wants the first pick, let another club put the PSD pick then. But the PSD should be killed off.

Let Mid Season Draft picks be traded too. Again, give struggling clubs help through the market and not ‘AFEL makey upey’ handouts.

On bullshit makey upey, I’d be happy to see Free Agent compensation get scrapped altogether. That’s the only way I can see all players being valued the same. If clubs don’t like it, then trade them a year out since long contracts seem the thing now.

But regulation on selling picks (see Pick 7 this year) for essentially cash needs immediate attention. If that’s going to be allowed, there should be a public auction on the Pick/Contract. That would actually make for good TV. At a minimum if nothing else, the new club must be constrained by the existing pay structure.

I can see arguments for first round picks getting a standard 3 year rookie contract too.

Other would know better than me about the draft age being bumped up a year too.

Perhaps extending live trading too, to include more aggressive trades on the night ‘US’ style.

In short, pretty much everything needs to be updated and the player movement system made fit for purpose as things are now.

bornadog
10-11-2022, 04:20 PM
Poor AFEL, all these journos primed to create buzz around the Delisted Free Agency Window just got to actually report one AFEL player and one VFL player being picked up.

Wow.

They need to re-think this process with clubs clearly only looking at using rookie draft picks. But also the rookie list, with so many delistings with promises to rookie draft.

I’m not sure on the exact answer. But if they smoother the wage difference between late picks and rookies then the rookie list could just go and the main list increase. They’d need to increase the TPP too to account for rookie wages then being included. That’d eliminate the delisting/rookieing and clubs adjusting list balance. Perhaps picks after 60 get only a one year deal. The need for elevations and consent for third years are no longer considerations either. But keeping the ‘Cat B’ list.

With one list, then delisted free agents might move sooner, but for the ones clubs want them to train with over summer.

I’d also like an NGA like rule to enhance the state league affiliated club. Say our club can have one matched bid on a Footscray player once it’s passed say Pick 40. That might help stimulate talent development at the state affiliated club that can reward the club and player who has multi club interest if they’ve had a breakout year. If the club wants to match the bid of course.

While I’m at it, change the NGA cut off from Pick 40 into the ‘Last pick of the Second Round’. With the shuffling of picks, it should just simply be a kid that’s rated with the first two rounds is off limits.

I’m a traditionalist too, the draft in one night with no rookie draft.

Either kill the PSD, or allow clubs to trade picks. If you want to give clubs after a bad year/s a leg up without ‘emergency assistance’ let them trade Pick 1, 2, 3 etc in the PSD. If a club wants to speculate say a ‘Dunkley like trade’ falls over and wants the first pick, let another club put the PSD pick then. But the PSD should be killed off.

Let Mid Season Draft picks be traded too. Again, give struggling clubs help through the market and not ‘AFEL makey upey’ handouts.

On bullshit makey upey, I’d be happy to see Free Agent compensation get scrapped altogether. That’s the only way I can see all players being valued the same. If clubs don’t like it, then trade them a year out since long contracts seem the thing now.

But regulation on selling picks (see Pick 7 this year) for essentially cash needs immediate attention. If that’s going to be allowed, there should be a public auction on the Pick/Contract. That would actually make for good TV. At a minimum if nothing else, the new club must be constrained by the existing pay structure.

I can see arguments for first round picks getting a standard 3 year rookie contract too.

Other would know better than me about the draft age being bumped up a year too.

In short, pretty much everything needs to be updated and the player movement system made fit for purpose as things are now.

There is a reason they are delisted

F'scary
10-11-2022, 05:29 PM

Just wait until our season is going pear-shaped and everyone is saying "how come we don't have a few rookies and DFA's to bring in ..."

bornadog
10-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Just wait until our season is going pear-shaped and everyone is saying "how come we don't have a few rookies and DFA's to bring in ..."

As I said, if they were any good, they would be picked up.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2022, 08:20 PM

That’s what Geelong said about Joel Hamling. I think he won’t ok as a DFA.

There’s a place for trash and treasure, and I’m all for looking around to find a good one. But the process of this pre-draft window isn’t working as clubs want them as rookies. And the rookie list isn’t functioning as built. So change it up I say.

Edit: Stengle did alright for Geelong. Lyons & Robinson good value for Lions. Roberton & Membrey for Saints.

Jasper
11-11-2022, 07:28 AM

Yes we should target players for a specific role but Baker isnt a good enough kick and dont we have enough of that already?

Mantis
11-11-2022, 08:50 AM

Not sure it’s that simple… but you do it your way.

Jasper
11-11-2022, 09:12 AM

There’s a place for trash and treasure, and I’m all for looking around to find a good one. But the process of this pre-draft window isn’t working as clubs want them as rookies. And the rookie list isn’t functioning as built. So change it up I say.

Edit: Stengle did alright for Geelong. Lyons & Robinson good value for Lions. Roberton & Membrey for Saints.

Hamling and Gardner are examples of bringing in players from other clubs for specific roles. It looks like we will target at least one DFA and it's just a question of which spot we are trying to fill.

bornadog
11-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Not sure it’s that simple… but you do it your way.

Not sure what you mean by "you do it your way"?

Sure there are some players that are picked up in the Delistings and turn out ok, but in general, if they were a good player, they wouldn't be let go.

Rocco Jones
11-11-2022, 10:31 AM

As I said, if they were any good, they would be picked up.

Sure there are some players that are picked up in the Delistings and turn out ok, but in general, if they were a good player, they wouldn't be let go.

Not trying to pick a battle here but I am genuinely interested in what you mean in effect. Do we simply disregard any DFA? Even though you agree, some turn out ok. As in, what do your comments mean in action? If you were a list manager etc.

Axe Man
11-11-2022, 10:35 AM

Although Membrey was technically delisted he doesn't belong in this conversation. The Swans and Saints couldn't agree on a trade and he was out of contract so the Swans were forced to let him walk.

Completely agree with your point though. I think a few are missing the point of your earlier post. There will be DFAs picked up, it's just going to be after the national draft and to the rookie list.

EasternWest
11-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Not trying to pick a battle here but I am genuinely interested in what you mean in effect. Do we simply disregard any DFA? Even though you agree, some turn out ok. As in, what do your comments mean in action? If you were a list manager etc.

I think BAD is right - there's a reason they've been delisted.

They question really is do clubs think they've got the stuff to teach them to overcome those reasons?

I guess it's an inexact science because not all relisted DFA's make it, but enough do to make it a realistic scenario to attempt it.

Happy Days
11-11-2022, 10:43 AM
I also think BAD is right and that picking up a DFA thinking there’s some well of untapped potential another club whiffed on is fool’s gold.

I only really like looking at DFAs where they have a specific skill or trait that the club thinks allows them to play a specific role. Like Duryea (he absolutely counts), Jones (who won’t work but at least I get it), Hamling, etc.

It’s why I’d target Rowe over Narkle/Stack/Baker, who are all sexier picks but what can anyone see them actually doing to make us better and more cohesive?

bornadog
11-11-2022, 10:46 AM

If I was a list manager, of course I would look through the list and see if there is a gem, but it is rare.

BT mentioned there were very few takers in the DFA period, and I merely commented there is a reason they were delisted, ie they aren't in the best 40 players on the list.

Mofra
11-11-2022, 12:45 PM
If I was a list manager, of course I would look through the list and see if there is a gem, but it is rare.

BT mentioned there were very few takers in the DFA period, and I merely commented there is a reason they were delisted, ie they aren't in the best 40 players on the list.
It generally comes down to deficiency vs opportunity.

Hamling and Gardner are behind established KPDs at Geelong so I'd argue they had opportunity factors holding them back.

Considering this, Rowe may be in the same category - Adelaide have spent most of their first round picks in the past few years bringing in small forwards.

Mids, generally, have deficiencies in their game meaning they have to "find" a role to get a game so someone like Narkle just wouldn't be suited to us. He's not playing as a mid with us, and for the role he'd play.... I'd be backing in McLean primarily. He's not a list need, position wise.

GVGjr
11-11-2022, 01:16 PM
It generally comes down to deficiency vs opportunity.

Hamling and Gardner are behind established KPDs at Geelong so I'd argue they had opportunity factors holding them back.

Considering this, Rowe may be in the same category - Adelaide have spent most of their first round picks in the past few years bringing in small forwards.

Mids, generally, have deficiencies in their game meaning they have to "find" a role to get a game so someone like Narkle just wouldn't be suited to us. He's not playing as a mid with us, and for the role he'd play.... I'd be backing in McLean primarily. He's not a list need, position wise.

Perfectly put. Just because a player is delisted it doesn't mean he can't be valuable somewhere else. None of the DFA's so far really appeal to me but if we find a player that fills a spot then we should go for it.

mjp
11-11-2022, 01:24 PM

I think you're 100% correct here. But you have to remember one thing.

When you are at a club for a couple of years, you 100% become pigeon holed...not in terms of good/bad, but more in terms of what you are/aren't capable of.

Hamling is a good example here. I think Geelong would happily admit he played some reasonable footy for them in the VFL - but he was never going to be a senior footballer because 'they' couldn't see that he would 'EVER' be able to play on oppo key forwards. Fast forward a couple of years and he was able to effectively match up on Buddy (at various times) in the 2016 GF. No matter WHAT - injury, plague of locusts, whatever - he would never, ever, ever have been assigned that role with the Cats.

We are all talking about players with deficiencies in there games (as EW has pointed out) but it isn't quite as simple as 'deficiency vs opportunity'. It is a perception of what their ceiling 'MIGHT' be. Or might not be.

I'm rambling now (and I know it) but sometimes a player doesn't need a fresh start as much as they need to be viewed through a different lense.

F'scary
11-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Some interesting thoughts here, I might conduct a footage review some of the names that have been put forward in this thread.

EasternWest
11-11-2022, 02:38 PM

When you are at a club for a couple of years, you 100% become pigeon holed...not in terms of good/bad, but more in terms of what you are/aren't capable of.

Perfect description.

Avoid the rush
11-11-2022, 03:34 PM
Just a final thought on why I reckon Narkle could be a player. Before Covid I was addicted to watching the under 18 competition and would try and pick a player every year. Caleb was my most loved under 18 player and he played, admittedly under 18s, on the ball. He is such a ball of muscle I wish they would play him around mid and half forward now as a spare. The year Narkle was under 18 I thought he was the most dynamic, gifted athlete and prayed we could somehow take him from the draft in the fifties or so. I think he went 60 something in the end. I'm not sure what has happened to him, but will always wonder if he could get that x factor back.

Dogs 24/7
12-11-2022, 10:03 AM

Hamling is a good example here. I think Geelong would happily admit he played some reasonable footy for them in the VFL - but he was never going to be a senior footballer because 'they' couldn't see that he would 'EVER' be able to play on oppo key forwards. Fast forward a couple of years and he was able to effectively match up on Buddy (at various times) in the 2016 GF. No matter WHAT - injury, plague of locusts, whatever - he would never, ever, ever have been assigned that role with the Cats.

We are all talking about players with deficiencies in there games (as EW has pointed out) but it isn't quite as simple as 'deficiency vs opportunity'. It is a perception of what their ceiling 'MIGHT' be. Or might not be.

I'm rambling now (and I know it) but sometimes a player doesn't need a fresh start as much as they need to be viewed through a different lense.

They werent delisted but Lipinski and Young were let go for late picks because Lipinski couldnt get a regular run in our midfield and we would play Young anywhere but the position Carlton wanted him for. Both of them would be ecstatic that they had coaches that viewed their talents with a different lens. We now have both McComb and McNeil butchering skills being given more chances than Lipinski did. Its easy dismiss DFA but you are right that clubs pigeon hole players and they might just need another opportunity and a different spec savers lens.

mjp
12-11-2022, 12:25 PM
Just a final thought on why I reckon Narkle could be a player. Before Covid I was addicted to watching the under 18 competition and would try and pick a player every year. Caleb was my most loved under 18 player and he played, admittedly under 18s, on the ball. He is such a ball of muscle I wish they would play him around mid and half forward now as a spare. The year Narkle was under 18 I thought he was the most dynamic, gifted athlete and prayed we could somehow take him from the draft in the fifties or so. I think he went 60 something in the end. I'm not sure what has happened to him, but will always wonder if he could get that x factor back.

So...that was 2016 (I think).

I don't want to argue about this, but I would have said Narks wasn't even the most dynamic/athletic player at his own WAFL club - he would have been behind Zac Fisher for sure and probably Anton Scotney - let alone for WA. Sammy Seaton and Sam P-Pepper were also in that WA side though neither had great carnivals...

I guess what I'm asking is - what did you see in Q's game that made you think 'dynamic/athletic'. I think there is a lot to like about him - contested ball winner, strong tackler, tidy by foot both sides, very clean below knees - but I have never really thought of him as particularly 'dynamic'??

So...tell me about what you saw?

As for Caleb, I think he only played one game in the champs - the last one - and SA won the title without their best player (he WAS their best player)...amazing underage footballer!

Mofra
13-11-2022, 07:19 PM
In 2014 Geelong had:
Harry Taylor (23 games)
Andrew Mackie (22 games)
Tom Lonergan (23 games)
Corey (22 games)

That's an incredibly settled defence - and Jake Koloj* was developing well too
Hamling would never get the opportunities at the Cats that he was afforded in the two years he spent with us

mjp
13-11-2022, 08:38 PM
In 2014 Geelong had:
Harry Taylor (23 games)
Andrew Mackie (22 games)
Tom Lonergan (23 games)
Corey (22 games)

That's an incredibly settled defence - and Jake Koloj* was developing well too
Hamling would never get the opportunities at the Cats that he was afforded in the two years he spent with us

Well, Lonergan was a forward and Corey was a mid (I guess you could have meant Enright?)...Not like Hamling was competing with Mackie either (he's a running defender).

hujsh
13-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Well, Lonergan was a forward and Corey was a mid (I guess you could have meant Enright?)...Not like Hamling was competing with Mackie either (he's a running defender).

In 2008...

Kicked 13 goals in the years after

Avoid the rush
14-11-2022, 09:15 AM
So...that was 2016 (I think).

I don't want to argue about this, but I would have said Narks wasn't even the most dynamic/athletic player at his own WAFL club - he would have been behind Zac Fisher for sure and probably Anton Scotney - let alone for WA. Sammy Seaton and Sam P-Pepper were also in that WA side though neither had great carnivals...

I guess what I'm asking is - what did you see in Q's game that made you think 'dynamic/athletic'. I think there is a lot to like about him - contested ball winner, strong tackler, tidy by foot both sides, very clean below knees - but I have never really thought of him as particularly 'dynamic'??

So...tell me about what you saw?

As for Caleb, I think he only played one game in the champs - the last one - and SA won the title without their best player (he WAS their best player)...amazing underage footballer!

For sure there were better players at that Carnival. but to me Narkle was the one that looked most capable of turning a game. Happy to be wrong, as it is only my observation and opinion, and his time at the Cats was underwhelming for sure, however I feel like you don't just lose ability, more likely lose confidence and maybe he could rediscover this at the Bullies.

Mofra
14-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Yes Enright I meant - and Lonegan was a defender.
Hamling just wasn't getting a look in at Geelong though, opportunity absolutely was an issue.

Sam Collins - delisted by Freo - is now the cornerstone of Gold Coast's defence. I do think in some cases, opportunity is absolutely an issue.

Rocco Jones
14-11-2022, 09:35 AM
Hamling just wasn't getting a look in at Geelong though, opportunity absolutely was an issue.

Sam Collins - delisted by Freo - is now the cornerstone of Gold Coast's defence. I do think in some cases, opportunity is absolutely an issue.

Yep. Not just with delistings but getting players for next to nothing trade wise.

GVGjr
14-11-2022, 10:07 AM

In the main players are delisted because they aren't quite measuring up in the AFL particularly because of limited spots but there are plenty of examples like Sam Collins and it's why clubs are always wanting to find a player through the DFA as a lot of the hard work and time required to develop players has already been done.

You should never dismiss players just because they have been rejected by other clubs.

hujsh
14-11-2022, 10:21 AM
In the main players are delisted because they aren't quite measuring up in the AFL particularly because of limited spots but there are plenty of examples like Sam Collins and it's why clubs are always wanting to find a player through the DFA as a lot of the hard work and time required to develop players has already been done.

You should never dismiss players just because they have been rejected by other clubs.

That's right. BAD has a whole list of other reasons to use instead.

Mofra
14-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Yep. Not just with delistings but getting players for next to nothing trade wise.
Very much the case with rucks - Nankervis, Witts, Hickey obvious examples

bornadog
14-11-2022, 11:48 AM
That's right. BAD has a whole list of other reasons to use instead.

Very funny.

My comment was there is a reason why players are on the delisted list. Make of it what you will.

hujsh
14-11-2022, 12:17 PM
Very funny.

My comment was there is a reason why players are on the delisted list. Make of it what you will.

I make of it that they either aren't going to be super-duper Bontempelli stars but my still become valuable members of a team that can utilise their strengths potentially (EG Hamling or many rucks) or they have external issues that need fixing (eg Stengle).

Reasons exist for a club to delist them which means they're far from a sure bet but there can be great value still

F'scary
15-11-2022, 03:39 PM
Gimme Gimme Gimme a DFA

GVGjr
15-11-2022, 03:53 PM
Gimme Gimme Gimme a DFA

Anyone specifically F'Scary? I've had a look at some of the options and none have appealed so far.

F'scary
15-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Anyone specifically F'Scary? I've had a look at some of the options and none have appealed so far.

Sydney Stack. Let's turn him into a small crumbing forward or an off the bench specialist. Worth a punt.