PDA

View Full Version : Team, Round 1 2023

Pages : 1 [2]

Axe Man
15-03-2023, 10:11 AM
Ok my crack at the team for Rd 1 after pre season.

Daniel Keath Jones
Richards Bruce Dale
Williams Macrae Baker
Smith Naughton Treloar
Darcy Lobb Marra

English Bontempelli Liberatore

Sub West.

IC Hannan McLean Scott Duryea

Keath to Brown
Jones to Fritsch (he generally was playing on a smallish player v norf)
Bruce to McDonald.

Edit : JJ or Hannan toss a coin.

Caleb on Gawndy?

Hotdog60
15-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Caleb on Gawndy?

Is that what usually happens :)

Grantysghost
15-03-2023, 10:41 AM
Caleb on Gawndy?

Shoot - um er... Difficult bloody match ups hey. I'm feeling for the defenders here, highlights how important the midfield battle will be especially for us as I rate the Demons backs higher than ours, especially when Gawn can sit back there too.

Richards to Fritsch, but I want to free up Jones.

Ok Jones can mark the resting ruck and run off to intercept. Going to need a team effort down there though.

Happy Days
15-03-2023, 10:45 AM
I can play on Brown if need be.

Grantysghost
15-03-2023, 10:56 AM

Haha - problem is he always Sideshow BOBS up and snags a couple of important goals

azabob
15-03-2023, 11:05 AM

Pre match warm up with him at the nets.

Axe Man
15-03-2023, 11:18 AM
Haha - problem is he always Sideshow BOBS up and snags a couple of important goals

Hopefully he lost his powers when he shaved his hair off.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0JdWKRM/brown.jpg (https://postimg.cc/n9G4yWNP)

Grantysghost
15-03-2023, 11:23 AM

He looks much better.

bornadog
15-03-2023, 12:02 PM
If Melbourne have Brown, Gawn/ Grundy, McDonald & Fritsch up front how are you matching them up?

Now that we know Fritsch isn't playing, the match ups will still be interesting.

Jones on Gawn/Grundy
Keath on McDonald

Bruce on Brown
Darcy floating.

Happy Days
15-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Implies that he had powers to begin with.

jazzadogs
15-03-2023, 01:18 PM
I've seen a few including Bruce in their teams, but I think with Fritsch out we might even get Richards to play tall on McDonald, and back in our system with Keath/Jones providing support, leaving Bruce out.
Jones on Brown
Keath on Grundy/Gawn
Richards on McDonald
Duryea on Pickett

Rocco Jones
15-03-2023, 01:35 PM
I've seen a few including Bruce in their teams, but I think with Fritsch out we might even get Richards to play tall on McDonald, and back in our system with Keath/Jones providing support, leaving Bruce out.
Jones on Brown
Keath on Grundy/Gawn
Richards on McDonald
Duryea on Pickett

Would your 22 include Crozier?

The Doctor
15-03-2023, 03:10 PM
my team updated given Weightman, Gardner, Arty are ruled out

B: Crozier, Jones, Duryea

HB: Dale, Keath, Richards

C: Scott, Libba, Macrae

HF: Hannan, Naughton, Jamarra

F: Lobb, Darcy, JJ

R: English, Bont, B.Smith

INT: Treloar, Daniel, Williams, McLean

doggies ftw
15-03-2023, 03:24 PM
My final round 1 team -

Doc Jones Croz
Dale Keath Richards

Scott Libba Baz
English Bont Macrae

JJ Lobb Treloar
Marra Naughty West

Daniel, Williams, McLean, Darcy - Sub: Baker

But I’d assume Baker probably gets first go with West sub, I’d prefer West in the side though at the feet of our talls - he makes things happen constantly and I think our coaching staff underrate how good his tackling is around the ball and what a positive impact that has on our team. Plus he’s creative inside 50 and is quite good at setting others up.

jazzadogs
15-03-2023, 07:15 PM
Would your 22 include Crozier?

Yeh I think Crozier is in, so he might even be the third 'tall'b leaving Ed to do his attacking intercepting fromb last year. With the luxury of throwing Darcy back if they get a run on.

Rocco Jones
16-03-2023, 01:39 PM
Yeh I think Crozier is in, so he might even be the third 'tall'b leaving Ed to do his attacking intercepting fromb last year. With the luxury of throwing Darcy back if they get a run on.

Yeah Crozier does suit the flexibility of having Darcy more. That said, not sure I want to see Darcy down back short term but it's an option. Don't love having to play either Bruce or Crozier as they are pretty limited. Would love Cleary to force his way into the side. I'd actually play Bruce with Dees having 3 taller options.

Re: Hannan. He only missed North game due to illness and was able to play VFL due to missing. Think it's a bit different to a guy with an interrupted pre-season/bigger injury setback. If we saw him as ready and in the 22 before North game (we had him listed in 18 and positive training reports) then I think he is selected in 22.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Yeah Crozier does suit the flexibility of having Darcy more. That said, not sure I want to see Darcy down back short term but it's an option. Don't love having to play either Bruce or Crozier as they are pretty limited. Would love Cleary to force his way into the side. I'd actually play Bruce with Dees having 3 taller options.

Re: Hannan. He only missed North game due to illness and was able to play VFL due to missing. Think it's a bit different to a guy with an interrupted pre-season/bigger injury setback. If we saw him as ready and in the 22 before North game (we had him listed in 18 and positive training reports) then I think he is selected in 22.

Do you think Buku might be considered?

Axe Man
16-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Yeah Crozier does suit the flexibility of having Darcy more.

I thought he played for Collingwood? ;)

Axe Man
16-03-2023, 01:46 PM

Would be a strange decision given I have not read any reports of him training or playing in the backline all pre-season.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Would be a strange decision given I have not read any reports of him training or playing in the backline all pre-season.

Has that stopped Bevo before? :D

Rocco Jones
16-03-2023, 01:50 PM

I don't think so. Looks like we view him as a forward who can relieve in the ruck if need be. Direct back up to Lobb unless we go with Darcy/Hannan/wtf Bevo decides.

Rocco Jones
16-03-2023, 01:58 PM
Richards, Keath, Bruce
Dale, L.Jones, Daniel
Scott, Macrae, Baker
B.Smith, Darcy, Ugle-Hagan
Lobb, Naughton, Treloar
English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Hannan, West, Duryea, McLean
Williams

My 23 fwiw.

Not too much thought in Baz/Adz fwd. Going with a few guys rotating through there. Tobias and Westy mostly. Darcy to swing back if any issues with our KPDs.

JanLorMill
16-03-2023, 07:31 PM
So no Maclean or Crozier and Bruce plays are the surprises for me. West not even an emergency

bornadog
ROUND 1 TEAM
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Saturday, 18 March, 7.25pm AEDT
MCG
B: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards
C: Bailey Williams, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
HF: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
F: Anthony Scott, Sam Darcy, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar
Int: Jason Johannisen, Josh Bruce, Mitch Hannan, Oskar Baker
Emerg: Buku Khamis, Toby McLean, Jordon Sweet, Hayden Crozier

bornadog
No surprises there

JanLorMill
Toby for the sub?

JanLorMill
16-03-2023, 07:33 PM
No surprises there
I think playing Bruce is but maybe we are worried about their resting ruck

bulldogsthru&thru
16-03-2023, 07:33 PM
Surprised to see Darcy and Bruce named.

No McLean either who sounded like had a ripping preseason.

JJ and Hannan become the "small" forwards.

Game on.

bulldogtragic
16-03-2023, 07:39 PM
Darcy & Bruce as the swingers. I like that flexibility to play either at either end based on match ups.

Toby as the sub.

whythelongface
16-03-2023, 07:51 PM
No surprises there

Toby not in the 22 is a surprise especially behind Hannan.

G-Mo77
16-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Is Baker going to be this seasons McComb or am Ibeing to cynical for a Round 1 game.

merantau
16-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Didn't Hannan play one of his better games against Melbourne?

chef
16-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Geez, we've gone in tall. Hopefully we can run the game out well.

Prince Imperial
16-03-2023, 07:56 PM
The average height of our 22 is a whopping 190.6cm. This must the tallest team in AFL history.

Our average age is 27 years and 3 months with 8 players 30+. Probably the oldest team our club has ever fielded.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Toby for the sub?

I am assuming yes.

Having said that, he didn't play well against North.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 08:02 PM
Is Baker going to be this seasons McComb or am Ibeing to cynical for a Round 1 game.

Why do you say that?

He has had a very good preseason and played well in the practise games.

josie
16-03-2023, 08:09 PM
A little bit worried we don’t have one or two of Garcia, West or Tobes at foot of our tall forwards. Presumably we will rely on a rotating resting mid and Hannan or wingers like Scott or Baker to keep the ball in our F50 once our talks bring it to ground.

No excuses with May, Viney and Fritsch out.

C’mon dogs, let’s beat them by a big margin.

The Underdog
16-03-2023, 08:11 PM

Just be glad McComb isn’t this seasons McComb and enjoy round 1

bornadog
16-03-2023, 08:12 PM
A little bit worried we don’t have one or two of Garcia, West or Tobes at foot of our tall forwards. Presumably we will rely on a rotating resting mid and Hannan or wingers like Scott or Baker to keep the ball in our F50 once our talks bring it to ground.

No excuses with May, Viney and Fritsch out.

C’mon dogs, let’s beat them by a big margin.

Scott and JJ will have to do the crumbing

ledge
16-03-2023, 08:14 PM
Usually the only thing right is the team not how they line up.
I don’t believe a club will ever let the opposition know how they will line up two days before.
Even if it did start like that 2 minutes in it will change as the coaches try to get match ups how they want.
I’m not surprise West wasn’t in, I watched him in two match sims and he stuffed up a bit.
Crozier more a surprise but fact is we have a very deep list and could list arguments for a lot of players who didn’t get a gig.
Bevo will come under more scrutiny with team selections this year more than other year if we drop a couple of games, but we are all smarter in hindsight.

ledge
16-03-2023, 08:18 PM

Funny that as watching the practice game Jamarra if he isn’t going the mark is very good on the ground, I also like Naughton on the ground ball , I think we have two extremely tall marks who can play the ground ball when the other goes up .

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 08:31 PM

Well there is a belief that Bevo likes shiny new toys but I do believe Baker has earned his spot.

josie
16-03-2023, 08:38 PM

Ah - I forgot about JJ, makes sense. Smart user too, as is Scott.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 08:38 PM
Funny that as watching the practice game Jamarra if he isn’t going the mark is very good on the ground, I also like Naughton on the ground ball , I think we have two extremely tall marks who can play the ground ball when the other goes up .

Agree ledge. I was more talking about the smalls we have up forward

MrMahatma
16-03-2023, 08:43 PM
The average height of our 22 is a whopping 190.6cm. This must the tallest team in AFL history.

Our average age is 27 years and 3 months with 8 players 30+. Probably the oldest team our club has ever fielded.

Especially given CD is out there!! Huge team.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2023, 09:42 PM
I'd prefer Toby to Bruce, but perhaps they see Darcy as unlikely to run out the game and so Bruce is the 'versatile' tall replacement, while Toby is the one to provide fresh run.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-03-2023, 11:15 PM

We are a team of ancient Mountain Ash (the tallest flowering trees in the world. And they can be very old.)

HOSE B ROMERO
16-03-2023, 11:25 PM

That is a seriously insane average of 6 foot 3 . In 1950 our team probably had one player who was that height.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-03-2023, 11:29 PM
Happy with the lineup although a bit surprised with Brucey. Could he be the sub?

I genuinely hope he has a good year. He deserves better than for his career to peter out.

Grantysghost
16-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Are we surprised with McLean?

He is the one I got wrong. Thought out of the 3 of them Hannan or JJ would be the choice.

Considering his form in the final I'm a little surprised.

I guess he's had a middling pre season, so has JJ though.

Prince Imperial
17-03-2023, 12:22 AM
That is a seriously insane average of 6 foot 3 . In 1950 our team probably had one player who was that height.

Our tallest player in Round 1 1950 was Arthur Olliver who was 189cm.

I'm 189cm myself and feel like I'm taller than 98% of people and I would be below average in our current team.

dog town
17-03-2023, 05:57 AM
Are we surprised with McLean?

He is the one I got wrong. Thought out of the 3 of them Hannan or JJ would be the choice.

Considering his form in the final I'm a little surprised.

I guess he's had a middling pre season, so has JJ though.

McLean was completely dominant up until the Ballarat game and North game where we moved him around a bit. I would have picked him to play forward, Melbourne routinely slaughter us in the contested ball count and I like his competitiveness.

As a general rule we spend far too much time debating the last 1-2 spots in the team. Toby had a poor first game against North in a position with a vacancy and that’s why he wasn’t picked.

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 06:46 AM
McLean was completely dominant up until the Ballarat game and North game where we moved him around a bit. I would have picked him to play forward, Melbourne routinely slaughter us in the contested ball count and I like his competitiveness.

As a general rule we spend far too much time debating the last 1-2 spots in the team. Toby had a poor first game against North in a position with a vacancy and that’s why he wasn’t picked.

I enjoy a good discussion about these things, part of the attraction of the forum.

Your reasoning makes sense thanks, he did have a poor game. Then again Hannan and JJ didn't even play so I'm assuming more was taken into account than the north game.

He might be the super sub.

The Underdog
17-03-2023, 08:33 AM
Westy not sniffing the 26 isn’t a great sign. Looks to be a fair way back.

dog town
17-03-2023, 08:35 AM
I enjoy a good discussion about these things, part of the attraction of the forum.

Your reasoning makes sense thanks, he did have a poor game. Then again Hannan and JJ didn't even play so I'm assuming more was taken into account than the north game.

He might be the super sub.

At local footy level you often see selection panels debate the last two spots for an hour and then the blokes only get 50% TOG anyway. I get the attraction for debating them here I just doubt how much impact it has on results the majority of the time.

Tiny little Jake Bowey had 12 intercept possessions last week (equal with May) so I wonder if we have a plan in place for this.

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 08:46 AM
At local footy level you often see selection panels debate the last two spots for an hour and then the blokes only get 50% TOG anyway. I get the attraction for debating them here I just doubt how much impact it has on results the majority of the time.

Tiny little Jake Bowey had 12 intercept possessions last week (equal with May) so I wonder if we have a plan in place for this.

Melbourne recruiters just keep hitting gold don't they. Very good call, someone needs to be aware of that.

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 08:47 AM

Considering how fit he looks and the extras he apparently did this is a worry for me too.

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 08:50 AM

It's early days but I don't think it's necessarily a strong sign that he is a long way back. Things can change quickly
From the players perspective I think he would be disappointed that he isn't right in the mix.

Bulldog Joe
17-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Considering how fit he looks and the extras he apparently did this is a worry for me too.

Didn't he have a setback that had him in the rehab group for a considerable stretch?

angelopetraglia
17-03-2023, 09:00 AM
The weather looks brutal for tomorrow's nights game. A high of 37c which will be at 5pm. At the bounce it will still be 32c. Wind is NW 24 km/h with gusts up to 40 km/h (at 7pm).

So it is going to be hot. Really hot. It is also going to be windy. How will our tall team cope with those conditions?

bulldogtragic
17-03-2023, 09:06 AM
The weather looks brutal for tomorrow's nights game. A high of 37c which will be at 5pm. At the bounce it will still be 32c. Wind is NW 24 km/h with gusts up to 40 km/h (at 7pm).

So it is going to be hot. Really hot. It is also going to be windy. How will our tall team cope with those conditions?

Players will get more tired, more quickly. But our big guys won’t get any shorter as the game goes on. Just kick it to their advantage and set up well.

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Didn't he have a setback that had him in the rehab group for a considerable stretch?

I believe that is correct now I think about it. Can we cross live to Skinner Reserve and ask our roaming correspndant G?
G how is the weather out there, and more importantly is your tent safe?

bornadog
17-03-2023, 09:38 AM
I believe that is correct now I think about it. Can we cross live to Skinner Reserve and ask our roaming correspndant G?

He also had a poor game v North after coming on to replace a few injured players.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Players will get more tired, more quickly. But our big guys won’t get any shorter as the game goes on. Just kick it to their advantage and set up well.

Richmond's Lynch enters the conversation and agrees

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 09:45 AM

Prior to Xmas he was constantly in the rehab group and he might have even sat out one intra club game but he's probably had 10 weeks on no interruptions so I doubt that he hasn't done the work.

From a R1 team selection perspective the more concerning non selection might be Toby Mac. Outside of injuring his arm he's done a lot of work and with Cody missing it makes it just a bit more intriguing.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 09:48 AM
Prior to Xmas he was constantly in the rehab group and he might have even sat out one intra club game but he's probably had 10 weeks on no interruptions so I doubt that he hasn't done the work.

From a R1 team selection perspective the more concerning non selection might be Toby Mac. Outside of injuring his arm he's done a lot of work and with Cody missing it makes it just a bit more intriguing.

I had him in my team and I am a little surprised he isn't in, although the North game he was ineffective.

Hopefully he is the sub and makes an impact when he comes on.

1eyedog
17-03-2023, 09:53 AM
Well there is a belief that Bevo likes shiny new toys but I do believe Baker has earned his spot.

100% he earned a spot and probably pushed Tobias out following his excellent game against Norf.

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 10:03 AM
100% he earned a spot and probably pushed Tobias out following his excellent game against Norf.

We've normally been a bit more understanding with one quiet game because McLean was good in the intra club games.
JJ and Baker will probably play that small forward role while Cody is out.

Mantis
17-03-2023, 10:14 AM
We've normally been a bit more understanding with one quiet game because McLean was good in the intra club games.
JJ and Baker will probably play that small forward role while Cody is out.

In the match sim that I saw McLean was much more effective playing in the midfield (generally in the 'B' team) rather than roles he will need to fill when we have a full squad to pick from.

He doesn't look dangerous up forward and he looked slow when trying to apply forward pressure... he simply needs to break into the midfield rotation if he wants to play so the challenge is in front of him.

DISHLICKERS
17-03-2023, 10:49 AM
I have never seen a Doggies forward line on paper as the one chosen for this game.

The only concern is one or two small, cunning, good goal sense and pressure crumbing forwards are absent.

Regardless of result I hope the persevere with the tall forwards.

Mofra
17-03-2023, 11:16 AM
Melbourne recruiters just keep hitting gold don't they. Very good call, someone needs to be aware of that.
They can't find talls though.
Gawn was a fair way back and Petty is quality. They've traded well to fill gaps but their ability to draft and develop tall talent is their weakness

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 05:01 PM

How dare you sir!
How dare you imply I'm some sort of low end footy groupie that camps out in a tent to get a glimpse of the players much like a teenager might camp out to get Ed Sheeran tickets.
For the record it's a fully kitted out camper van with all the fixens :)

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 05:08 PM
How dare you sir!
How dare you imply I'm some sort of low end footy groupie that camps out in a tent to get a glimpse of the players much like a teenager might camp out to get Ed Sheeran tickets.
For the record it's a fully kitted out camper van with all the fixens :)

Hahahaaaa.... Classic.

I reckon you and your overpriced camper and Lachie McNeil obsession have bumped our membership to record levels.

God speed tent man.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 05:34 PM
Hahahaaaa.... Classic.

I reckon you and your overpriced camper and Lachie McNeil obsession have bumped our membership to record levels.

God speed tent man.

My spys have found him :D

https://previews.123rf.com/images/sabphoto/sabphoto1904/sabphoto190400164/121335555-young-man-in-the-tent-camping-in-the-nature.jpg

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Our tallest player in Round 1 1950 was Arthur Olliver who was 189cm.

I'm 189cm myself and feel like I'm taller than 98% of people and I would be below average in our current team.

Wow! When the dogs line up for round 1 2073 there's a real chance the average could be over 2 metres. Bring back Peter Street..

HOSE B ROMERO
17-03-2023, 08:03 PM

Classic Jack Dyerism right there!

soupman
18-03-2023, 12:08 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the Bruce selection is super weird.

Beveridge has never been concerned with convention, and 100% has always opted for backing in the better player for our system than a player to fill a role. This has been particularly evident with talls, in defence frequently if the talls he rates aren't available he has not bothered calling up the next one in line and instead has brought in the next defender he rates. Pretty sure Naughtons first season with us he basically picked Naughton, a first gamer, as our sole key defender and worked around having to cover the oppositon key forwards. The ruck has been the other obvious example where when English was struggling in 2020 instead of calling up Sweet we just let English take the centre bounce then hang forward while someone like Jong or Dunkley did the rest.

So picking Bruce, who has shown some signs but is a long way from what I would expect is a best 22 option, seemingly solely because Melbourne have 3 tall forwards is a really interesting move, especially when you consider none of their tall forwards a particularly good. Just very un Beveridge like and I'm wondering if its a change to a more conservative/conventional match selection strategy.

jeemak
18-03-2023, 12:18 PM
It's a good question soup. What we do know is if Bevo thinks he has the player he wants for the role he wants, then he'll pick them.

If that's not the case then perhaps it's a bit of a leap of faith given Bruce went to the MC and suggested the change and has shown solid progress in the role. Reward for effort and all that.

azabob
18-03-2023, 01:37 PM
At first I thought Bruce was an odd selection but I came to the conclusion if Gardner was fit he’d be playing alongside Jones and Keath.

Maybe, just maybe Beveridge is selecting team based on structure rather than solely available personnel.

jazzadogs
18-03-2023, 01:38 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the Bruce selection is super weird.

Beveridge has never been concerned with convention, and 100% has always opted for backing in the better player for our system than a player to fill a role. This has been particularly evident with talls, in defence frequently if the talls he rates aren't available he has not bothered calling up the next one in line and instead has brought in the next defender he rates. Pretty sure Naughtons first season with us he basically picked Naughton, a first gamer, as our sole key defender and worked around having to cover the oppositon key forwards. The ruck has been the other obvious example where when English was struggling in 2020 instead of calling up Sweet we just let English take the centre bounce then hang forward while someone like Jong or Dunkley did the rest.

So picking Bruce, who has shown some signs but is a long way from what I would expect is a best 22 option, seemingly solely because Melbourne have 3 tall forwards is a really interesting move, especially when you consider none of their tall forwards a particularly good. Just very un Beveridge like and I'm wondering if its a change to a more conservative/conventional match selection strategy.

This is why I expected Crozier to play ahead of Bruce. He's obviously been more impressed with Bruce's efforts in pre season than some of us.

Rocco Jones
18-03-2023, 03:33 PM
This is why I expected Crozier to play ahead of Bruce. He's obviously been more impressed with Bruce's efforts in pre season than some of us.

I think with Croz and Juice, they are both quite limited and it becomes about the matchups until Gardner is back or Cleary knocks the door down.

Dees have 3 tall forward options who are all pretty equal I think in terms of being go to targets. None of them are great but all can get on top of you with what the Dees midfield team is like. With Fritsch out, I would rather neutralise their teams and get our rebound from the rest of our backline. We have Saints, Lions and Tigers next three after this one, think Crozier more suited to those games.

Stevo
18-03-2023, 03:43 PM

I had the same thoughts but Bruce might be an inspired selection.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 03:45 PM
I had the same thoughts but Bruce might be an inspired selection.

Who does he match up on?

meenies
18-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Any spies down at Braybrook to see which emergencies are playing in the VFL practice match?

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 07:44 PM
No late changes. Toby the sub.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:04 PM
Hope we get a big crowd