12-10-2022, 10:25 PM
Something like???

B: Gardner Jones Richards
HB: Dale Keath Daniel
C: Johanissen Treloar Liberatore
HF: McLean Ugle-Hagan Garcia
F: Weightman Naughton Lobb
R: English Bont Macrae
I: B. Smith Duryea/R. Smith Williams Bruce (5th - Darcy, minutes forward, back and/or ruck only if required)
E: West R. Smith/Duryea Scott Vandermeer

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

Keath - Can his hamstrings let him go back to the incepting gun defender he was before we recruited him?

Intepting types if not Keath - Khamis or O'Brien up to the task?

JJ - Can he play wing?

West - Offered to fight for the spot in the mideifled opened up by Dunkley, or small forward?

Bolters currently on the list who could surprise into Round 1?

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 10:27 PM
Something like???

I: B. Smith Duryea/R. Smith Williams Bruce (5th - Darcy, minutes forward, back and/or ruck only if required)

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

Keath - Can his hamstrings let him go back to the incepting gun defender he was before we recruited him?

JJ - Can he play wing?

West - Offered to fight for the spot in the mideifled opened up by Dunkley, or small forward?

And don't forget the draftees too BT. Might be ready first up.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2022, 10:30 PM
And don't forget the draftees too BT. Might be ready first up.

No pressure on the kids. We could use Pick 11 on a ruckman and develop him for 6 years into a gun ruckman.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2022, 10:31 PM
No pressure on the kids. We could use Pick 11 on a ruckman and develop him for 6 years into a gun ruckman.

Ha ha ha

The Doctor
12-10-2022, 10:34 PM
B: Duryea, Jones, Gardner

HB: Dale, Keath, Richards

C: Williams, Libba, Macrae

HF: Mclean, Naughton, Jamarra

F: Weightman, Lobb, JJ

R: English, Bont, B.Smith

Int: Treloar, Daniel, Darcy, West

EMG: Crozier, Khamis, Garcia

Grantysghost
12-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Something like???

Questions:

Bruce - KPD or KPF?

Darcy - KPR or KPF?

JJ - Can he play wing?

Id have West in for Duryea and swap him with Garcia.

Khamis played forward a bit and did ok, very good set shot. Then went back and seemed more in tune with what he had to do so he could definitely be more of a fixture if he continues to develop.

Williams not sure where he’s at, had a really average year he has some work to do to be a starter for mine. Played up on the wing a fair bit with Richards doing so well back and Treloar moved to half back for a big chunk of the season.

Sedat
12-10-2022, 10:37 PM
Well and truly in the veterans category but has extraordinary staying power.

hujsh
12-10-2022, 10:42 PM
Bench

B:
Richards
Gardner
Dale

Dureya

HB:
Daniel
Jones
Keath

C:
JJ
Libba
Williams

Scott

HF:
Baz
JUH
McLean

F:
Weightman
Naughton
Lobb

West/Garcia

R:
English
Bont
Macrae

Treloar

E:
Bruce
Roarke
Vanders
Sweetie/Martin

That's my attempt. Draft permitting. I'd like a forward to replace Garcia TBH.

I could also see Scott or Roarke replacing one or both of Williams and JJ on the wing. JJ maybe moving out Garcia.

EDIT: Further explaining. I feel sticking Libba or Macrae on the wing is the wrong way to go. Might work with Baz or Adam but I think we should run our mids through the middle. Baz, Adam and Bont can spend some time forward and otherwise can rest on the bench. Libba and Macrae are bench or guts. Gives us options, flexibility and depth without having too many cooks.

F'scary
12-10-2022, 11:01 PM
B: Gardner, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, Darcy, Khamis
C: B Smith, Bont, Williams
HF: Daniel, JUH, JJ
F: Lobb, Naughton, Weightman
R: English, Macrae, Libba
I: Treloar, West, McLean, Cleary

[Edit: McLean in for Scott]

hujsh
12-10-2022, 11:04 PM
B: Gardner, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, Darcy, Khamis
C: B Smith, Bont, Williams
HF: Daniel, JUH, JJ
R: English, Macrae, Libba
I: Treloar, West, Cleary, Scott

Cleary is an interesting one. Hopefully he can put himself next in line so when we get an injury (probably Taylor) he can step in and get some experience.

F'scary
12-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Cleary is an interesting one. Hopefully he can put himself next in line so when we get an injury (probably Taylor) he can step in and get some experience.

I was impressed with both Clearly and Khamis when I saw them play in 2022. They have a great spread of skills, including overhead and they are rangy, pacy types. Playing Khamis as a deep marking forward did not do him any favours, he looks much better up the ground.

bornadog
13-10-2022, 01:01 AM
Doc has JUH on the wing. I would have him at HFF.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2022, 08:46 AM
The back 6 looks fairly solid and settled with the key question being continuity of our talls.

Midfield depth remains good.

Wing is an interesting one, with a few options - Williams, JJ, Treloar, Smith, Daniel, Dale all potentially having the right stuff.

I wonder if Buku could develop into a wing?

Our challenge in the forward half is finding the right mix and enough minutes to develop while winning. A genuine crumber is a gap too.

Rocco Jones
25-10-2022, 11:28 AM
How I'd go about it:

Backline

KPDs

Liam Jones. Obviously great if he hasn't lost too much from 2021 as was really good in that combo role, also played huge TOG.

Two remaining spots: Gardner/Keath/Darcy
Hard to know with Keath. If he is anything like his old self, he gets a spot. Gardner we know what we get, but he is still very limited. Darcy I love long term but he is really intercept mark or nothing and can be really exposed at this stage. Juice is there as an option as well I guess, as he will be with the KPFs. I see him as a long way off but maybe a strong pre-season will do him wonders.

Small-medium defenders
Ed- Locked in a spot as medium defender who is well rounded
Caleb- for me he needs to stay back as I think he will struggle with the 1:1 hit ups on the wing and the running. Might be a different case if his knee is ok and can get on him his bike. Can move up the ground at times.
Adz- combining CBAs with running off HBF. Caleb/Adz down back at the same time leave us exposed though.
Doc- I'd have him in there too starting the season if he goes okay during the pre-season. Can defend and offers leadership/IQ down back.

Ok that's 7.

Midfield

CBAs/engine room

If there is something to gain out of loss of Dunkley, it's being a bit more fluid with our CBAs. I'd like to see Bevo being a bit more adaptive with our mix. Mostly when Baz is struggling/killing it and how we use Bont.

Macrae- I'd just about have only in the middle
Libba- mostly in middle with some time forward
Bont- obviously our biggest asset. CBAs when we are struggling. Balance mid/fwd a bit but prefer him in the guts unless we are clicking in the middle
Baz- I think he is the one who can free up Bont to play more forward if he is flying/being able to break away from contests and not getting lost with the defensive side of things. I think he gets too sucked in/loses position to play on the wing. Maybe forward when he is struggling with CBAs.
Adz- combining middle with HBF. A bit like Baz in offering run/getting lost with defensive side of things. One Bevo really needs to manage well on match day.
Tobias- we gotta find a place for him in the side. Mid, tagging, forward, maybe wing? Idk. Just love his competitiveness too much. Please don't play a McComb over him.

Wings

Dale- I know it's a big risk and I get people saying just leave him at HBF. Idk the internal info and if I did, perhaps I wouldn't even consider the move but where I go. His finishing is elite. He would do well with the defensive stuff and 1:1 hit ups. I think we need a more offensive type wing and he is the best option.

Roarke/Truck/Scott- more in a defensive wing role. Ensuring they are least do the cardio load and make it hard for the Langdons to find space. At least one spot for them, probably two. I actually like Roarke forward too, I have him in anyway. I'm going to say we play all 3 in one role or another.

OK that makes 15 I think.

Ruck combo

English and Lobb. I would like to see a bit more of a ruck share than traditional R1/R2. English mainly in the ruck and Lobb mainly forward but mix it up, particularly when English is struggling in the ruck. I like the overall package we get from Tim in the ruck but he can have passages of getting really dominated. I think we try in Lobb a bit during these times. I would like Bevo to be a bit more like that than trusting the process, but he is a premiership coach and I am posting here on a Tuesday morning in late October.

That's 16

Forwards

KPFs

Naughts, Mara and Lobb as R2/F
Think they are the right combo atm. Think Darcy/Juice as the fourth is a bad idea because of a combo of lack of pressure + not bringing enough combo. If they are all awesome, happy to re-address that.

Small-mediums

Cody- would love to see a bit more of a balance between the flying and crumbing/pressure stuff.
West- hopefully a strong pre-season and a bit more development. We don't really have any natural small forward do we?
Garcia- A bit like Tobias, just want him in. Think he offers enough.
Mids having time forward like Bont, Libba and Baz
Wings spending time here like Roake and Scott. As I mentioned earlier, I like the look of Roarke forward.

That makes 22. McNeil is fast, like his i50 tackling. Wish he could nail his chances. He can be the 23rd.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Khamis and West are two of the most interesting players on our list for mine.

I really want Buku to take another step. I think he has all the tools and had a very encouraging year. Inconsistency is always a feature of young players, but he showed an ability to play forward AND back.

He looked really composed, athletic and smart down back. The 'third tall' role is a difficult one because it is dependent on match-ups, but I want to see him play a lot in 2023.

West - where do we play him? Will he get midfield minutes? Is it primarily the same small forward type role? He's good enough to be in our best 22, but it isn't clear cut where he plays. Important year.

bornadog
25-10-2022, 12:42 PM
West - where do we play him? Will he get midfield minutes? Is it primarily the same small forward type role? He's good enough to be in our best 22, but it isn't clear cut where he plays. Important year.

This has been my dilemma with him and I had my doubts he would make it. He needs to find a role and become good at it.

soupman
25-10-2022, 12:44 PM
Great post Rocco.

Again looking at that forwardline there is a real opportunity to bring in a natural small forward instead of two undersized mid converts in Garcia and West.

bornadog
25-10-2022, 03:55 PM
B: Duryea, Jones, Daniel

HB: Dale, Gardner, Richards

C: Williams, Libba, McLean

HF: B Smith, Naughton, Jamarra

R: English, Bont, Macrae

Int: Treloar, Khamis, Darcy, West, Keath

Assumes 5 on bench

Mofra
25-10-2022, 04:54 PM
There's a lot to play out between now and round 1 - I'm just happy every has McLean in their teams.
I really hope he gets a clean run at it and reminds us why he was rushed back for the final. Genuine footy smarts

bulldogtragic
25-10-2022, 05:13 PM
There's a lot to play out between now and round 1 - I'm just happy every has McLean in their teams.
I really hope he gets a clean run at it and reminds us why he was rushed back for the final. Genuine footy smarts

I think I’m accurately quoting Danny after the 2016 GF when introducing players on stage. “I don’t think im allowed to say I have a favourite player. But Toby McLean is my favourite player.”

Those with half decent memories remember a damn good footballer. And a bloke who copped hate for the same dropping down in tackle technique as Selwood while Selwood seemingly didn’t get the same venom. If he only becomes 2/3 the player he could’ve without the ACLs then he’s still picked easily every week.

Mantis
25-10-2022, 05:14 PM
I’m hopeful that O’Brien plays more in 2023… he pretty much sucked this year, but given he suffered an injury at a critical point in the pre-season I would hope he gets himself super fit which gives him the best chance to succeed.

We need to win the ball back more readily in defence and he helps in this area.

Sedat
25-10-2022, 05:33 PM
Those with half decent memories remember a damn good footballer. And a bloke who copped hate for the same dropping down in tackle technique as Selwood while Selwood seemingly didn’t get the same venom.
I picked a fantastic year to be overseas and completely miss not only the GF but the cannonizarion of Saint Joel and all the post GF celebrations at the Cattery. By the time I returned it was wall-to-wall trade week shenanigans, and the GF never actually happened in my mind.

The only thing Selwood should be the patron saint of is the entire ducking epidemic that has infected the AFL ever since his career started.

GVGjr
25-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Surely Bruce has to be in the mix for the R1 2023 team?

GVGjr
25-10-2022, 07:21 PM
I’m hopeful that O’Brien plays more in 2023… he pretty much sucked this year, but given he suffered an injury at a critical point in the pre-season I would hope he gets himself super fit which gives him the best chance to succeed.

We need to win the ball back more readily in defence and he helps in this area.

Do you see him as that versatile 3rd tall defender type?

Grantysghost
25-10-2022, 07:26 PM
I picked a fantastic year to be overseas and completely miss not only the GF but the cannonizarion of Saint Joel and all the post GF celebrations at the Cattery. By the time I returned it was wall-to-wall trade week shenanigans, and the GF never actually happened in my mind.

The only thing Selwood should be the patron saint of is the entire ducking epidemic that has infected the AFL ever since his career started.

And stepping on people when they're on the ground.

hujsh
25-10-2022, 07:27 PM

I had him as first emergency. It really depends how well he bounces back and how JUH starts the year. Said before I think it's a coin toss right now.

Grantysghost
25-10-2022, 07:33 PM

You mean Lance from Pulp Fiction right?

https://i.postimg.cc/zBF5SfNz/Screenshot-20221025-183234.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
25-10-2022, 08:00 PM
I had him as first emergency. It really depends how well he bounces back and how JUH starts the year. Said before I think it's a coin toss right now.

Many are picking Darcy on limited exposure last season and ignoring Bruce who on his 2021 form should be an automatic selection.
Lobb coming in complicates that but I would guess that Bruce should be ahead of Darcy and possibly ahead of Marra.

Go_Dogs
25-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Khamis and West are two of the most interesting players on our list for mine.

I really want Buku to take another step. I think he has all the tools and had a very encouraging year. Inconsistency is always a feature of young players, but he showed an ability to play forward AND back.

He looked really composed, athletic and smart down back. The 'third tall' role is a difficult one because it is dependent on match-ups, but I want to see him play a lot in 2023.

Buku for a wing role!

Grantysghost
25-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Many are picking Darcy on limited exposure last season and ignoring Bruce who on his 2021 form should be an automatic selection.
Lobb coming in complicates that but I would guess that Bruce should be ahead of Darcy and possibly ahead of Marra.

Bruce to defence. Only move that makes sense.

Feels like a thing to me.

Mantis
26-10-2022, 11:25 AM

I see Lobb & Bruce competing for the same role and clearly Lobb should in front based on recent form... I see JUH playing a different role (more of a roaming forward).

Do you see him as that versatile 3rd tall defender type?

Yep... we need more players with intercept abilities and good kicking skills in defence so unless Keath can return to his pre-2022 form he is competing with Gardner for one spot.

bornadog
26-10-2022, 11:39 AM
I see Lobb & Bruce competing for the same role and clearly Lobb should in front based on recent form... I see JUH playing a different role (more of a roaming forward).

Yep... we need more players with intercept abilities and good kicking skills in defence so unless Keath can return to his pre-2022 form he is competing with Gardner for one spot.

That is how I see it as well and left Keath out of my main team, with Gardner taking the CHB role. All based on 2022 form, but of course could change.

Grantysghost
26-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Here's my first crack at it :

Want pace on the wings and guys that can run all day ( i reckon they can both hold position if coached properly ).

B : Richards, Jones, Gardner
HB : Daniel, Keath, Dale
C : Treloar, Macrae, JJ
HF : B.Smith, Naughton, Mclean
FF : Weightman, Lobb, Marra
Fol: English, Bont, Libba

IC : I dont know at this stage. Hard. Have to see how we recruit. Top of the list would be Darcy, Bruce, Duryea, West, Khamis, Hannan, McNeil, McComb.

F'scary
26-10-2022, 02:15 PM

Oops, knew I missed someone obvious. Will edit...

1eyedog
26-10-2022, 04:26 PM

Harsh. Think his true colours shone out on Grand Final week. The amount of work he does with disadvantaged kids is immense and the way he brought them into the pre and post GF celebrations was just fantastic. I'm not a fan of him as a footballer but he does seem like a very giving person.

Sedat
26-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Harsh. Think his true colours shone out on Grand Final week. The amount of work he does with disadvantaged kids is immense and the way he brought them into the pre and post GF celebrations was just fantastic. I'm not a fan of him as a footballer but he does seem like a very giving person.
You've fallen for the charm offensive 1ED :D

To be fair, it was a pretty impressive performance from the limited highlights that I saw.

Happy Days
26-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Everyone got caught up in whether Selwood ducked or not or whatever and lost sight of him being shit at footy for nearly a decade. Genius slight of hand from the most Channel 7 player to ever do it.

stelio
26-10-2022, 10:00 PM
Despite most people regarding the trade period as suboptimal, I would suggest that the balance of the squad is actually better with another KPD (Jones) and a more genuine forward/ruck option (Lobb) coming in. I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us. Part of the reason I didn't want him was our already well stocked tall forward brigade. However, if the change is made for a 5th interchange spot, it may just open the door for us to have an additional KPF which we could then use to rotate players (may mean reduced TOG for them). Will be interesting to see how that spot is used. Have left Darcy out for now, obviously he will be a big part of the future but not sure where he fits at the moment. All that said, here’s my go at the starting team:

B: Richards, Jones, Gardner
HB: Daniel, Keath, Dale

C: Treloar, Libba, Baz

HF: McLean, Jamarra, West

Int: Duryea, JJ, Garcia, Williams, Bruce

GVGjr
26-10-2022, 10:01 PM
Great first contribution Stelio.

Grantysghost
26-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Despite most people regarding the trade period as suboptimal, I would suggest that the balance of the squad is actually better with another KPD (Jones) and a more genuine forward/ruck option (Lobb) coming in. I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us. Part of the reason I didn't want him was our already well stocked tall forward brigade. However, if the change is made for a 5th interchange spot, it may just open the door for us to have an additional KPF which we could then use to rotate players (may mean reduced TOG for them). Will be interesting to see how that spot is used. Have left Darcy out for now, obviously he will be a big part of the future but not sure where he fits at the moment. All that said, here’s my go at the starting team:

Treloar on the wing Stelio.

Smart! ;)

Dogs 24/7
26-10-2022, 10:11 PM

I'd probably only swap Marra and Naughton around so I think you have nailed it. Good analysis as well.

hujsh
26-10-2022, 10:50 PM
If the thought is to play a tall as the 5th interchange it does seem like a perfect fit for Darcy. He can theoretically play forward back or in the ruck as needed. Of course we'd want to manage his development and not stop him from getting a good run at VFL level either

soupman
26-10-2022, 11:58 PM
I was against Lobb but our second ruck has been an issue for some time so I'm hopeful that'll be an upgrade for us.

I was fairly pro Lobb coming in, I think he'll offer something different and he effectively replaces Bruce who I do not trust at all, but it was probably lost on me the potential he has as a second ruck.

That was until I was talking to a mate and they were raving about how we will now have two super mobile and talented rucks that can both push forward. I am unsure how much of a split we are planning, but I am very optimistic about the potential we have to create a pretty dynamic duo going forward between Lobb and English.

bornadog
27-10-2022, 10:32 AM
I was fairly pro Lobb coming in, I think he'll offer something different and he effectively replaces Bruce who I do not trust at all, but it was probably lost on me the potential he has as a second ruck.

That was until I was talking to a mate and they were raving about how we will now have two super mobile and talented rucks that can both push forward. I am unsure how much of a split we are planning, but I am very optimistic about the potential we have to create a pretty dynamic duo going forward between Lobb and English.

What % split would you like to see? It may depend on the opposition but at least a 65/35 would be good

GVGjr
31-10-2022, 09:15 AM
This from Fox Footy about our premiership chances

WESTERN BULLDOGS

We seem to say it every year, but the Dogs’ list is genuinely primed for a premiership. In the middle, all of their key players should be at or near their peak, with the exception of Bailey Smith who likely will only get better. Additionally, while the sheer number of tall options could pose a challenge to get the mix right, Luke Beveridge wields significant power in terms of the problems he can cause opposition sides if that mix is nailed. Liam Jones should prove a vital addition too and address an area the side has been exposed in through past seasons. The Dogs are right in the sweet spot and should be for the next few years.

Premiership window: 2023-2027

I wonder if the club thinks we are in the window for the next 4 seasons or not?

hujsh
31-10-2022, 10:00 AM
4 season ago West coast were premiers. Aint no one can predict where we'll be in 4 years

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2022, 11:08 AM
If we don't win another Premiership in this Bont/Naughton era, it has to be seen as a big fail.

It's HARD to win flags, bloody hard, but we've actually been our own worst enemy and defeat ourselves.

dog town
31-10-2022, 12:20 PM
If we don't win another Premiership in this Bont/Naughton era, it has to be seen as a big fail.

It's HARD to win flags, bloody hard, but we've actually been our own worst enemy and defeat ourselves. Are you counting both Bont and Naughton at top form with no injury concerns? Naughton hasn’t even fully developed yet and Bont has only been at top form in 1 of the last 3 seasons. Surely their capabilities in any given year need to be taken into account?

If you told me prior to 2023 that Bont plays to 2021 level and Naughton takes a step forward to become a top 1-2 key forward in the game then that makes a big difference to where I think we can finish. If Bonts form and body are questionable for half a season and Naughton is rolling on the ground in pain every week then that also has to factor into expectations in my view.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Are you counting both Bont and Naughton at top form with no injury concerns? Naughton hasn’t even fully developed yet and Bont has only been at top form in 1 of the last 3 seasons. Surely their capabilities in any given year need to be taken into account?

If you told me prior to 2023 that Bont plays to 2021 level and Naughton takes a step forward to become a top 1-2 key forward in the game then that makes a big difference to where I think we can finish. If Bonts form and body are questionable for half a season and Naughton is rolling on the ground in pain every week then that also has to factor into expectations in my view.

It's a good point, although it is true of any good side. Like any side, we need luck on the injury front to contend.

Do we manage our stars well? Bont had a pretty ordinary year and never looked right from R1. Could we have rested him more? We didn't have the luxury from a W/L perspective but he couldn't get back to 2021 levels.

Naughton certainly played sore but still had an impact with 50+ goals.

Ultimately I think this group needs to steer away from excuses, as I think that's been a bit of an undertone throughout this year. I'm confident that will change, but I'm also tiring of our yo-yo effect from year to year.

Time for this group to deliver IMO.

dog town
31-10-2022, 01:32 PM
It's a good point, although it is true of any good side. Like any side, we need luck on the injury front to contend.

Do we manage our stars well? Bont had a pretty ordinary year and never looked right from R1. Could we have rested him more? We didn't have the luxury from a W/L perspective but he couldn't get back to 2021 levels.

Ultimately I think this group needs to steer away from excuses, as I think that's been a bit of an undertone throughout this year. I'm confident that will change, but I'm also tiring of our yo-yo effect from year to year.

I don’t think we managed Bont well at all. He is a match winner that can separate games and in hindsight he would have been rested earlier in the season.

We will be in a better position to manage Naughton and any niggles this season I think, encouraging that he doesn’t appear to have had post season surgery.

It’s not so much an excuse but if we are going to use them as a reason for a premiership then their actual output needs to be considered. Was Bont in our top 6 players in the first 1/3 of the season? I would say no so there is no sense in rating our performance based on him at 100%. I do agree that holistically I would like to see these problems that all clubs have matter less for us. At the moment I think it’s fair to say there is an unhealthy reliance on those two to separate games.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2022, 12:09 PM
2022 Elimination Final Team:

FB: Richards - Gardner - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Keath - Dale
C: McLean - Macrae - R. Smith
HF: Treloar - Ugle-Hagan - Johannisen
F: Weightman - Naughton - Darcy
R: English - Bontempelli - B. Smith
I: Hunter - Dunkley - Vandermeer - Williams

Round 1 Team (updated - 5 on the Bench):

FB: Richards - Gardner - L. Jones

Notes: Cordy Out. Liam Jones In - Jones in 2021 av. KPD #1 IC Marks, #1 1-on-1 loss rate, #6 IC poss', #7th spoils - if he can get close to those 2021 performances, that's a HUGE upgrade on Cordy
Notes: Gardner and Richards with another pre-season - I have Bruce in the mix as a defender too

HB: Daniel - Keath - Duryea

Notes: Keath released to play a more intercepting role. If his body isn't holding up, Bruce comes in for him
Notes: Daniel still the general down back with Duryea when fit. Two very smart, calm and wise heads

C: R. Smith - Macrae - Dale

Notes: Dale moved to the wing. Improved I50 entries from his kicking and with 16.3 (nearly 80% accuracy) since playing as a defender, he adds a new avenue to increase goals with such accuracy from long range by getting him more shots throughout the season from the wing. This kind of accuracy is a weapon, and he has the training as a forward and defender to help him in the job
Notes: R. Smith a defensive winger

Notes: Ugle-Hagan gets the third tall with Naughton and Lobb having the best two defenders. 2022 Ranked #36 Marks I50
Notes: Treloar with more midfield minutes with Dunkley leaving
Notes: JJ could be pushed up to the wing, or even HBF group again with McLean, West & Garcia available forward

F: Weightman - Naughton - Lobb

Notes: Darcy to the bench. Lobb in. 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #19 Cont. Marks, #15 Marks I50, #6 TOG
Notes: Naughton 2022 AFL Ranked #11 Goals, #5 Cont. Marks, #12 Marks I50
Notes: Weightman 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #49 Marks I50
Notes: Weightman and Naughton again with another pre-season and a dangerous foil in Lobb

Notes: Hoping English gets better training with Lobb, and ruck coached by Lade
Notes: Hoping Bonts body gets cherry ripe and B. Smith raises to the next level yet again
Notes: Second Ruck. Cordy was ranked our #2 for hit outs. Lobb takes that. Lobb was ranked 27th in the league as a KPF. A MASSIVE upgrade

I: Williams (def) - Liberatore (mid) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - McLean (HFF/mid) - Darcy (KPF/KPD)

Notes: Darcy added as the new 5th spot. Ability to play tall at either end. Darcy the give us 3 AFL Quality athletic talls over 205cm. This gives Darcy the time to work into his career, at either end, which is good for his development but also gives Bevo match day options to move his huge frame around as the game requires it
Notes: West or Garcia in for VDM (who i'd move to the wing or HBF group)

E: Bruce (KPD) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - Vandermeer (HBF/wing) - O'Brien (def) - Khamis (def/for) - Scott (wing)

Notes: Hoping Bruce's body gets back to match fitness and using him down back
Notes: VDM moved as per above. O'Brien and Khamis hopefully commanding a spot down back

Rest: Hannan - Crozier - Sweet - McNeil - McComb - Bedendo - A. Jones - Cleary - Raak

Draftees: By 3-5 Players across ND & RD (at least a couple at the sharper end of the draft). A bolter into the team maybe??

Delisted Free Agent: ?? (Is Rowe still on the radar? If he comes, can his abilities as a more natural forward force say JJ off the HFF?)

Overall Change 2022 Elim Final Team vs Round 1, 2023 Team:

2022 Elim Final Out (4): Cordy, Hunter (recent version, not the B&F version) & Dunkley, Vandermeer
2023 Round 1 In (5*): Lobb, Jones, Liberatore, Duryea & West/Garcia (plus $1M+ salary savings to go FA shopping)
* Extra 'In' owing to bench being extended by one spot

Notes:

Libba for Dunkley - draw (Treloar more midifeld minutes could even be a win)
Jones for Cordy - win
Lobb for Hunter - win
West/Garcia for VDM - win (for mine)
Duryea in 5th Spot, but with Darcy to the bench - win

The Round 1, 2023 Team is a much better outfit, not just on new mature acquisitions, but also on injured players coming back into the line up, natural improvement in players with <100 Games Experience and positional improvements such as Lobb Second Ruck (not Cordy), Marra getting the third defender, Keath being released to intercept a little more (as at Adelaide), more mid minutes for Treloar in the middle.

Assessment:

1. In form, with good development among younger players and acquisitions, the window is open in 2023.
2. Get the list fit and healthy.
3. Keep the list as healthy as possible, managing many players (ie Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Jones, McLean, Bonts, Treloar)
4. Give no coach, nor any player, any excuses in 2023.

bornadog
01-11-2022, 02:27 PM
Good team BT with sound logic. The only one I am worried about is Dale to wing. I would probably swap him for Daniel

bulldogtragic
01-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Good team BT with sound logic. The only one I am worried about is Dale to wing. I would probably swap him for Daniel

I can live with that too. Doing the same with Dale (16.3 since moving to defence), since Daniel moved back he’s kicked 11.3.

Not quite as many scores as Dale over a longer period, but Dale is about 85% accurate and Daniel about 77% accurate. Giving either of these guys more shots at goal creates a new source of additional scoring power and improve I50’s.

I think I could live with either if they’re generating additional score board pressure. Maybe we can have them in a ‘kick off’ of 30 running shots and 30 set shots, with 40 I50’s (to advantage) to determine who gets the nod? (Best of 100)

bornadog
01-11-2022, 02:43 PM
I can live with that too. Doing the same with Dale (16.3 since moving to defence), since Daniel moved back he’s kicked 11.3.

Not quite as many scores as Dale over a longer period, but Dale is about 85% accurate and Daniel about 77% accurate. Giving either of these guys more shots at goal creates a new source of additional scoring power and improve I50’s.

I think I could live with either if they’re generating additional score board pressure. Maybe we can have them in a ‘kick off’ of 30 running shots and 30 set shots, with 40 I50’s (to advantage) to determine who gets the nod? (Best of 100)

The reason I went with Dale at HBF is he has a bit of height advantage, plus an AA in that role. Daniel is also a good decision maker and can feed the HFF with some accuracy.

Bulldog Joe
01-11-2022, 02:51 PM

I agree wholeheartedly and we should consider ourselves as genuine chances.

While we have Bont at peak age we should expect to nail at least 2 flags from here.

The support cast is capable if we can engender the team ethic and game plan to utilise the strength of the list.

I don't want excuses, I want flags PLURAL.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2022, 02:52 PM
The reason I went with Dale at HBF is he has a bit of height advantage, plus an AA in that role. Daniel is also a good decision maker and can feed the HFF with some accuracy.

Nice ‘problem’ to have (which elite kicker and highly accurate goal kicker) to take the wing, baring of course Hunter not falling away completely as he did or having a gun winger on the list.

In Daniel’s favour, his on-ball experience in his first few years is a tick in his column too is the plan would be to have a one winger as an extra at the contest.

Who would think opposition coaches would fear most streaming into our forward half? Daniel or Dale?

bulldogtragic
01-11-2022, 03:00 PM
I agree wholeheartedly and we should consider ourselves as genuine chances.

While we have Bont at peak age we should expect to nail at least 2 flags from here.

The support cast is capable if we can engender the team ethic and game plan to utilise the strength of the list.

I don't want excuses, I want flags PLURAL.

I always thought North in late 90’s underperformed ‘only’ winning two flags with the sheer talent they had on their list. If we can plan how to replace Keath, Jones & Bruce as KPD’s in the next couple of years (McKay as a FA? as a start) then with the sheer talent in the rest of the list (plus 3 First Rounders and 3 other picks inside 40 in the next two years and with $1M in new cap space) we should have a minimum of 2016 win, 2021 loss, plus at least one more win (hopefully two) to look back and get a sense we cashed in properly. I agree on excuses, no more. If these players and coaches really want to win it again, they absolutely can. But no excuses or free passes.

bornadog
01-11-2022, 03:24 PM
Nice ‘problem’ to have (which elite kicker and highly accurate goal kicker) to take the wing, baring of course Hunter not falling away completely as he did or having a gun winger on the list.

In Daniel’s favour, his on-ball experience in his first few years is a tick in his column too is the plan would be to have a one winger as an extra at the contest.

Who would think opposition coaches would fear most streaming into our forward half? Daniel or Dale?

Agree we could go both ways

azabob
01-11-2022, 05:15 PM
B: Khamis, Jones, Duryea,
HB: Dale, Gardner, Daniel
C: B.Smith, Macrae, Scott,
HF: JJ, Ugle-Hagan, Garcia
F: Weightman, Naughton, Lobb
R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I/C: Treloar, West, McLean, Richards,
EMG: Williams, RSmith, Keath, McNeil, Bruce

My first cut and a few thoughts on our positions of need from 2022.

I hope Khamis is having a huge pre season to get his endurance up as the 3rd defender/ intercept role is up for grabs. Hopefully Daniel can return to his creative best so Duyrea and maybe Richards can focus on being lockdown midsized defenders.

Can Bailey Smith be our attacking / goal kicking wingman with Anthony Scott riding shot gun as our defensive coverage? McLean makes my 22 as I think he can bring a defensive element to our midfield group. For mine we still seem too midfield top heavy talent wise (and have no choice but to play them).

English’s mindset and ability to physically influence the contest is still the most important component to our midfield makeup. I have my doubts he can bring this week in and week out.

I am still concerned with our forward line and the ability to bring defensive pressure and keep the ball in our forward 50. That’s why JJ and Garcia make my starting 18.
Similarly to our midfield group we appear to have no choice but to play JUH, Naughton, Weightman and Lobb (not taking into account Darcy & Bruce). Individually they are all talented and should play in the first 18 but as a sum of all parts, I’m not so sure it’s the best for the team.

Overall do we have too many first choice players that are too similar? Time will tell.

bornadog
01-11-2022, 06:05 PM
I don't like Bailey Smith on a wing. We played him there for a few games and he was way down in possessions.

Bailey is a Mid/HFF

azabob
01-11-2022, 06:23 PM
I don't like Bailey Smith on a wing. We played him there for a few games and he was way down in possessions.

Bailey is a Mid/HFF

We have enough individual ball winners.

In todays game possession numbers = less is more.

GVGjr
01-11-2022, 06:40 PM

Bailey is a Mid/HFF

Tend to agree but whatever works best for the team should be the priority.

Swoop
01-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Tend to agree but whatever works best for the team should be the priority.

The best thing for the team is to have Bailey Smith playing to his full potential, and I think that means becoming a starting onballer. His first 6 or so weeks were scintillating, and although his disposal upon his return was scrappy, I think we've seen enough to know what he's capable of.

He's ready to do the grunt work with Bont, Libba, and Macrae. With Dunkley gone there's an opportunity for him to flourish and develop his game further.

This will allow Treloar to step into the half forward / mid role where I think he can be very damaging.

It does mean we have to find two wingers but they're on our list. I'd start with Williams and Hannan but Scott and Roarke both can push their cases in preseason. They're both versatile but also able to play a team orientated role by holding their width and tracking back as marking options.

I'd like to keep Dale, Daniel, Richards and Duryea back as our back flank / pockets, while Jones, Gardner and Keath with a full preseason can hold down the key position roles. It's up to Khamis and others to force themselves in throughout preseason.

Up forward, Lobb, Naughton, and Marra can start as our key positions. Bruce and Darcy can push for the fifth bench spot, but again, a strong preseason can see them push others aside. I'd have Weightman and JJ as our two smalls, while rotating that mid (Treloar) forward. The F7 role can be fought between McLean, Garcia, Vandermeer and West with form and fitness the key.

azabob
01-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Swoop I’m really concerned with your forward line. Who provides the defensive pressure inside F50?

I can’t recall Hannan playing wing before, what do you see in him to play this position?

Swoop
01-11-2022, 08:15 PM
Swoop I’m really concerned with your forward line. Who provides the defensive pressure inside F50?

I can’t recall Hannan playing wing before, what do you see in him to play this position?

Don't be concerned because my team won't leave the dark depths of my mind.

I know Hannan is much maligned but if he's fit, he can play. He has played wing before, I'd refer to the 2022 preseason before he was injured. Don't despair however because these are only my thoughts, but history does show the match committee do like him.

As for the forward line, in my opinion, both Weightman and JJ are our best two small forwards which is why they've been picked there. JJ's season was disrupted with an injury in preseason but he's capable of fulfilling this role, with a combination of Garcia, Vandermeer, West, and McLean rotating through.

It's not that dissimilar to the general consensus bar one or two slight tweaks.

C: Williams Bont Hannan
HF: JJ Naughton Treloar
F: Marra Lobb Weightman
R: English Baz Libba
Int: Duryea, Macrae, Scott/Roarke, McLean/Garcia/West/Vandermeer

azabob
01-11-2022, 08:25 PM
I know Hannan is much maligned
It's not that dissimilar to the general consensus bar one or two slight tweaks.

I was more curious around the Hannan selection as the wing along with our small forwards is our positions of real concern. So in reality I’m concerned with our small forwards full stop!

Heck my team is also slightly different to the majority. Keath isn’t in my best 23 and my two wingmen are B.Smith and Scott.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-11-2022, 04:44 PM
Buku and Sweet to be upgraded to main list.
Sweetie survives.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2022, 10:47 PM
If Clarke can bolt into contention quickly.

HF: West Naughton Weightman
F: Marra Lobb Clarke

Alternates: Darcy, Garcia, McLean, Bedendo, McNeil

Does this mean JJ and VDM can get moved into the squads for either the wing or HBF (with Baker)? They appear surplus to need and aren’t natural forwards.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Updated:

Clarke in, JJ out - heading to my wing/HBF squad

I want Dale on the wing, but will happily take Daniel too. The same argument applies for Dale & Daniel:

Dale (16.3 since moving to defence), since Daniel moved back he’s kicked 11.3 since moving to defence. Not quite as many scores as Dale over a longer period, but Dale is about 85% accurate and Daniel about 77% accurate at goal. Giving either of these guys more shots at goal creates a new source of additional scoring power and improve I50’s.

2022 Elimination Final Team:

FB: Richards - Gardner - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Keath - Dale
C: McLean - Macrae - R. Smith
F: Weightman - Naughton - Darcy
I: Hunter - Dunkley - Vandermeer - Williams
S: McComb

Round 1 Team:

FB: Richards - Gardner - L. Jones

Notes: Cordy Out. Liam Jones In - Jones in 2021 av. KPD #1 IC Marks, #1 1-on-1 loss rate, #6 IC poss', #7th spoils - if he can get close to those 2021 performances, that's a HUGE upgrade on Cordy
Notes: Gardner and Richards with another pre-season - I have Bruce in the mix as a defender too

HB: Daniel - Keath - Duryea

Notes: Keath released to play a more intercepting role. If his body isn't holding up, Bruce comes in for him
Notes: Daniel still the general down back with Duryea when fit. Two very smart, calm and wise heads

C: R. Smith - Macrae - Dale

Notes: Dale moved to the wing. Improved I50 entries from his kicking and with 16.3 (nearly 80% accuracy) since playing as a defender, he adds a new avenue to increase goals with such accuracy from long range by getting him more shots throughout the season from the wing. This kind of accuracy is a weapon, and he has the training as a forward and defender to help him in the job
Notes: R. Smith a defensive winger. If JJ is moved to wing, this could a more contested selection if JJ makes it work

HF: Treloar - Ugle-Hagan - Clarke

Notes: Ugle-Hagan gets the third tall with Naughton and Lobb having the best two defenders. 2022 Ranked #36 Marks I50
Notes: Treloar with more midfield minutes with Dunkley leaving
Notes: JJ is for me, to be pushed up to the wing, or even HBF group again with McLean, West & Garcia available forward roles for defensive forward, high HFF and some mid minutes
Notes: Clarke is a natural forward. The sooner we sync Clarke, Weightman, Marra, Naughty & Lobb the better. A hard worker, loves to tackle, good shot at goal and instinctive. I will take that every day over a hard working player from another area of the ground. He’s already a very good size and build for a forward pocket.

F: Weightman - Naughton - Lobb

Notes: Darcy to the bench. Lobb in. 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #19 Cont. Marks, #15 Marks I50, #6 TOG
Notes: Naughton 2022 AFL Ranked #11 Goals, #5 Cont. Marks, #12 Marks I50
Notes: Weightman 2022 AFL Ranked #29 Goals, #49 Marks I50
Notes: Weightman and Naughton again with another pre-season and a dangerous foil in Lobb

Notes: Hoping English gets better training with Lobb, and ruck coached by Lade
Notes: Hoping Bonts body gets cherry ripe and B. Smith raises to the next level yet again
Notes: Second Ruck. Cordy was ranked our #2 for hit outs. Lobb takes that. Lobb was ranked 27th in the league as a KPF. A MASSIVE upgrade

Int From: Williams (def) - Liberatore (mid) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - McLean (HFF/mid) - Darcy (KPF/KPD)

Notes: Darcy on the bench allows us to play tall at either end. Darcy the give us 3 AFL Quality athletic talls over 205cm. This gives Darcy the time to work into his career, at either end, which is good for his development but also gives Bevo match day options to move his huge frame around as the game requires it
Notes: West or Garcia in for VDM (who i'd move to the wing or HBF group)

E: Bruce (KPD) - JJ (HBF/Wing) - West/Garcia (HFF/mid) - Vandermeer (HBF/wing) - O'Brien (def) - Khamis (def/for) - Scott (wing)

Notes: Hoping Bruce's body gets back to match fitness and using him down back
Notes: VDM moved as per above. O'Brien and Khamis hopefully commanding a spot down back too

Rest: Hannan - Crozier - Sweet - Oskar Baker - McNeil - McComb - Bedendo - A. Jones - Cleary - Raak - Busslinger - Gallagher - RD Pick

Draftees: Clarke above. Gallagher & Busslinger given all the time they need. Plus a player in the RD

Delisted Free Agent/SSP: Oskar Baker

Overall Change 2022 Elim Final Team vs Round 1, 2023 Team:

2022 Elim Final Out (6): Cordy, Hunter (recent version, not the B&F version) & Dunkley, JJ & Vandermeer (HBF’s out of position), MCComb (sub)
2023 Round 1 In (6): Lobb, Jones, Liberatore, Duryea, Clarke & West/Garcia (plus $1M+ salary savings to go FA shopping with picks at years end)

Notes:

Libba for Dunkley - draw (Treloar more midifeld minutes could even be a silver lining)
Jones for Cordy - win
Lobb for Hunter - win
West/Garcia for VDM - win (for mine)
Clarke for JJ - win (for mine)
Duryea for McComb - win

The Round 1, 2023 Team is a much better outfit, not just on new mature acquisitions, but also on injured players coming back into the line up, natural improvement in players with <100 Games Experience and positional improvements such as Lobb Second Ruck (not Cordy), Marra getting the third defender, Keath being released to intercept a little more (as at Adelaide), more mid minutes for Treloar in the middle and another genuine small forward with goal kicking instincts and who loves hard work.

Assessment:

1. In form, with good development among younger players and acquisitions, the window is open in 2023.
2. Get the list fit and healthy.
3. Keep the list as healthy as possible, managing many players (ie Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Jones, McLean, Bonts, Treloar)
4. Give no coach, nor any player, any excuses in 2023.

Axe Man
30-11-2022, 12:39 PM
The bench hasn't been extended from the past 2 seasons. The sub can simply be activated at any time, rather than waiting for an injury (or having to concoct one). I don't see it making much difference to how we select the team.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2022, 12:43 PM
The bench hasn't been extended from the past 2 seasons. The sub can simply be activated at any time, rather than waiting for an injury (or having to concoct one). I don't see it making much difference to how we select the team.

Aha. Will update.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 11:58 PM
Fox sports (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-best-22s-for-round-1-2023-list-changes-recruits-draftees-ins-and-outs-trades-draft-every-club/news-story/3544a44e6fc0e44538b4dd7de553603d) has suggested this might be our best 22

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Ed Richards, Liam Jones, Alex Keath

HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Bailey Dale

C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith

HF: Rhylee West, Rory Lobb, Sam Darcy

F: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Laitham Vandermeer

FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean

In: Rory Lobb, Liam Jones, Jedd Busslinger, Charlie Clarke, Harvey Gallagher

Out: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Stefan Martin, Mitch Wallis, Louis Butler, Charlie Parker

WE SAY: The Bulldogs needed to bolster their backline and they get the chance with Liam Jones returning to the kennel. Jones missed the 2021 season after failing to adhere to the AFL’s health and safety protocols, but he’s stayed involved through the QAFL. Recruit Rory Lobb walks into the best 22, but it won’t be at the expense of young talent Sam Darcy. Coach Luke Beveridge will have to find a balance between his tall timber of Aaron Naughton, Darcy, Lobb, Josh Bruce and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Darcy could also head down back if needed. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli can head forward with Laitham Vandermeer waiting on the bench. The likes of Jason Johannisen, Roarke Smith, Buku Khamis and Anthony Scott will have a fight on their hands to grab a spot in the 22, while Charlie Clarke could put even more selection pressure on those already at the club.

weltschmerz
07-12-2022, 12:02 AM
FB: Duryea, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, Gardner, Darcy/Keath
C: Baker, Libba, BSmith
HF: Treloar, Naughton, JUH
FF: Weightman, Lobb, West
F: English, Bont, Macrae
I: Daniel, McLean, Williams, JJ, Clarke

We like to play our mature age signings ASAP so I've put Baker in there. Keath and Darcy get to battle it out for that final defender spot.

weltschmerz
07-12-2022, 12:03 AM
Fox sports (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-best-22s-for-round-1-2023-list-changes-recruits-draftees-ins-and-outs-trades-draft-every-club/news-story/3544a44e6fc0e44538b4dd7de553603d) has suggested this might be our best 22

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HF: Rhylee West, Rory Lobb, Sam Darcy

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean

In: Rory Lobb, Liam Jones, Jedd Busslinger, Charlie Clarke, Harvey Gallagher

Out: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Stefan Martin, Mitch Wallis, Louis Butler, Charlie Parker

WE SAY: The Bulldogs needed to bolster their backline and they get the chance with Liam Jones returning to the kennel. Jones missed the 2021 season after failing to adhere to the AFL’s health and safety protocols, but he’s stayed involved through the QAFL. Recruit Rory Lobb walks into the best 22, but it won’t be at the expense of young talent Sam Darcy. Coach Luke Beveridge will have to find a balance between his tall timber of Aaron Naughton, Darcy, Lobb, Josh Bruce and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Darcy could also head down back if needed. Skipper Marcus Bontempelli can head forward with Laitham Vandermeer waiting on the bench. The likes of Jason Johannisen, Roarke Smith, Buku Khamis and Anthony Scott will have a fight on their hands to grab a spot in the 22, while Charlie Clarke could put even more selection pressure on those already at the club.

Fox Sports needs to remember the existence of Taylor Duryea.

GVGjr
07-12-2022, 08:15 AM

He's an important player for us but he does have trouble staying fit. Lets hope for a strong 2023 from him.

Grantysghost
07-12-2022, 09:03 AM

I'm happy with that back line.

The Doctor
07-12-2022, 09:33 AM
B: Duryea, Jones, Gardner

C: Williams, Libba, Macrae

HF: Mclean, Naughton, Jamarra

R: English, Bont, B.Smith

Int: Treloar, Daniel, Darcy, West, Crozier

EMG: Khamis, Garcia, Hannan

Updating my team after the draft period & interchange changes

Crozier onto the bench & Hannan on the emg list.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-12-2022, 10:17 AM
Updating my team after the draft period & interchange changes

Crozier onto the bench & Hannan on the emg list.

Surprised you have Crozier on the bench Doc. The last time he looked remotely up to the level was about 2-3 years ago.

1eyedog
07-12-2022, 10:42 AM
He's an important player for us but he does have trouble staying fit. Lets hope for a strong 2023 from him.

Doesn't mean he isn't best starting 22.

I'd have Duryea in, JJ to the forward pocket and VDM out.

bornadog
07-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Doesn't mean he isn't best starting 22.

I'd have Duryea in, JJ to the forward pocket and VDM out.

I agree with this. Duryea is a very important player. So much that I think if he played the Freo final, we wouldn't have made so many errors to let them back in.

1eyedog
07-12-2022, 10:51 AM
I agree with this. Duryea is a very important player. So much that I think if he played the Freo final, we wouldn't have made so many errors to let them back in.

Well I think it would have helped Ed out a whole bunch anyway.

Axe Man
07-12-2022, 10:55 AM

Lets hope the club have instituted a bonk ban for the month of December to avoid a repeat in September 2023. Most footy players aren't great with maths.

1eyedog
07-12-2022, 01:08 PM

JJ also showed glimpses of his best this year and VDM really showed nothing. Would rather throw Charlie in the forward pocket and let him cut his teeth than play VDM at the moment if I'm being honest.

The Doctor
07-12-2022, 01:17 PM
Surprised you have Crozier on the bench Doc. The last time he looked remotely up to the level was about 2-3 years ago.

I haven't given up on Crozier. He was in our best 22 at the start of last season when selected for r1 but his untimely setback derailed him. His form at Footscray was superior to most. Additionally I think he can help sweep up at the back, is very experienced, and could release Dale or Daniel to the wings. That would hopefully improve some of delivery into he forward line.

mjp
07-12-2022, 01:45 PM
I haven't given up on Crozier. He was in our best 22 at the start of last season when selected for r1 but his untimely setback derailed him. His form at Footscray was superior to most. Additionally I think he can help sweep up at the back, is very experienced, and could release Dale or Daniel to the wings. That would hopefully improve some of delivery into he forward line.

Whilst I agree with all of that Doc, he's become a ball-stopper and is too slow to move the footy on...this can be an incurable disease for some players. I hope I'm wrong as he's a heart and soul performer.

With the teams - meh. Until we have some idea how Bevo is going to put the mids/outside mids together, it is basically impossible to work it out...I know the exercise is us naming our own side, but I genuinely have no idea who Bevo is going to play on the outside...

We still have Bont, Liber, Jacko, Bailey and Treloar - all of whom are best placed inside the contest...but we have essentially NO-ONE to play outside. I'm genuinely baffled what the current plan is.

1eyedog
07-12-2022, 04:07 PM
Long down the line is Crozier's plan A and B these days unfortunately.

bornadog
28-01-2023, 06:17 PM
Following on from training to date, how does everyone see the first round team now?

My updated version:

B: Duryea, Jones, Daniel

C: Williams, Libba, JJ

HF: B Smith, Naughton, McLean

F: Weightman, Lobb, Jamarra

Int: Treloar, Darcy, West, Garcia, Buku

Doggy
28-01-2023, 06:28 PM
Hard to fit in Keath, Garcia

You’ve got Mclean in your team twice. You can now fit one of them in.:)

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 06:28 PM
You've hot McLean on the field and on the bench BAD.

bornadog
28-01-2023, 06:33 PM
You’ve got Mclean in your team twice. You can now fit one of them in.:)

You've got McLean on the field and on the bench BAD.

Thanks, I adjusted again. I have a gut feeling Keath won't be in for round 1, but that is based on today. Darcy hard to leave out at this stage and Bruce I am unsure of.

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 06:49 PM
We are playing Melbourne and I wonder if we are going to need that 3rd tall defender to combat them? With Grundy into the ruck it means Gawn will be up forward along with McDonald and Brown or maybe Van Rooyen

Zero Hangar predicted this as their starting line-up

Best 23

FB: Trent Rivers, Steven May, Harrison Petty
HB: Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever, Christian Salem
|C: Ed Langdon, Jack Viney, Lachie Hunter
HF: Kysaiah Pickett, Tom McDonald, Charlie Spargo
FF: Brodie Grundy, Jacob Van Rooyen, Bayley Fritsch
FOL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca
Int: Tom Sparrow, James Harmes, Alex Neal-Bullen, James Jordon
Sub: Jake Bowey

Happy Days
28-01-2023, 07:37 PM
We are playing Melbourne and I wonder if we are going to need that 3rd tall defender to combat them? With Grundy into the ruck it means Gawn will be up forward along with McDonald and Brown or maybe Van Rooyen

Best 23

Tom McDonald won’t be in for round one as I believe he’s taken the season off to fly to Romania to protest against their government over the imprisonment of Andrew Tate.

Bulldog Joe
28-01-2023, 07:53 PM

Best 23

Surely they pick Josh Schache:)

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Surely they pick Josh Schache:)

Gawn, McDonald, Brown, Schache, Van Rooyen and they could throw Petty forward.
Most likely 3 tall forwards and while that can be problematic there is also a bit of work to do in curbing Fritsch, Pickett and Petracca.

dog town
28-01-2023, 08:19 PM
Gawn, McDonald, Brown, Schache, Van Rooyen and they could throw Petty forward.
Most likely 3 tall forwards and while that can be problematic there is also a bit of work to do in curbing Fritsch, Pickett and Petracca.

Long way out but I think Gardner will play on Fritsch and we will concede some height on one of the talls probably whoever plays highest. We simply don’t have a match up for Fritsch in the same size and shape but Gardner is the closest to the attributes required.

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 08:34 PM
Long way out but I think Gardner will play on Fritsch and we will concede some height on one of the talls probably whoever plays highest. We simply don’t have a match up for Fritsch in the same size and shape but Gardner is the closest to the attributes required.

I was throwing some names at the board and wondered if Baker could be asked to play on Fritsch?

dog town
28-01-2023, 08:57 PM
I was throwing some names at the board and wondered if Baker could be asked to play on Fritsch?

Everything I have seen of Baker is as a runner and not a deep defender which is almost a specialist role. We don’t really have someone shorter than KP height who is suited to playing on a pure goal square forward like Fritsch.

Need to see more of Cleary this season.

meenies
28-01-2023, 09:35 PM
Duryea, Jones, Bruce
Dale, Gardner, JJ
McLean, Libba, Williams
Jamarra, Hannan, Macrae
Naughton, Lobb, West
English, Bonty, Weightman

Richards (back), Smith & Daniel (midfield), Darcy (everywhere), Garcia

Not confident Treloar will be match conditioned

Darcy instead of Keath - a race over the next few weeks

Close - Crozier, Scott, R Smith, VM

it all depends on who can stay fit for game 1

mjp
28-01-2023, 09:43 PM
Treloar on the wing Stelio.

Smart! ;)

Dislike.

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 10:18 PM
Duryea, Jones, Bruce
Dale, Gardner, JJ
McLean, Libba, Williams
Jamarra, Hannan, Macrae
Naughton, Lobb, West
English, Bonty, Weightman

Richards (back), Smith & Daniel (midfield), Darcy (everywhere), Garcia

Not confident Treloar will be match conditioned

Darcy instead of Keath - a race over the next few weeks

Close - Crozier, Scott, R Smith, VM

it all depends on who can stay fit for game 1

Meenies, you've really thrown the magnets around. This will take a bit of a review.

The Doctor
28-01-2023, 10:50 PM

What about Richards DT? I think he is our best option here.

AutoFill
28-01-2023, 11:40 PM
B: Duryea Jones Richards
HB: Dale Bruce Daniel
C: Smith Treloar Liberatore
HF: West Ugle-Hagan Hannan
I: Williams Garcia McLean Scott Gardner

I reckon it a given that Bruce will play CHB this year, and with Jones that’s a real key defender clean out. Gardner will play third tall defender this year, and Keith will be in and out as back up to Bruce and Jones.

We’ll have great depth this year. This will mean Darcy is brought along slowly, and guys not mentioned here will get regular games too. I predict we will have just about every guy on the list play at some stage, with the exception of maybe Busslinger who will really have to be knocking the door down to get a crack. Not worried by that though, he’s a 200 gamer in the making.

The depth is a double edge sword though. We'll lose a couple of good players to trades at the end of year as they look for more game time; which they’ll deserve.

bornadog
29-01-2023, 12:06 AM
Dislike.

Agree and include B.Smith who shouldn't play wing

dog town
29-01-2023, 07:05 AM
What about Richards DT? I think he is our best option here.

He is our best interceptor and third man up player at the moment. That player tends to play higher so they can sag off and make those calls on when to help. I agree he has the attributes and when we play Heeney, Martin etc we will need to weigh our options.

Mavericks
29-01-2023, 08:32 AM
Gardner Jones JJ
Ed Keath Dale
Williams Macrae Treloar
Smith JUH Mckean
Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Bont Libba

Daniel West Baker Darcy Sub Garcia

i think JJ will go back and Caleb playing more midfield. New recruits often are given a run so think Baker will be chosen. Have selected West and Treloar even with limited preseasons. Bruce looks great but I think he needs to play a few vfl games as a defender before I choose him ahead of Keath. Keath has dropped 5 kilios and looks in great shape

GVGjr
29-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Gardner Jones JJ
Ed Keath Dale
Williams Macrae Treloar
Smith JUH Mckean
Weightman Naughton Lobb

English Bont Libba

Daniel West Baker Darcy Sub Garcia

i think JJ will go back and Caleb playing more midfield. New recruits often are given a run so think Baker will be chosen. Have selected West and Treloar even with limited preseasons. Bruce looks great but I think he needs to play a few vfl games as a defender before I choose him ahead of Keath. Keath has dropped 5 kilios and looks in great shape

No Duryea is a bit of a surprise. I think you're right about Baker and good to see West and Darcy in the line up.
Where do you see Roarke Smith, Hannan and Bruce in the selection mix?

Mavericks
29-01-2023, 09:30 AM
No Duryea is a bit of a surprise. I think you're right about Baker and good to see West and Darcy in the line up.
Where do you see Roarke Smith, Hannan and Bruce in the selection mix?

A fit Duryea is our number 1 lockdown small defender. Injuries impacted him last year and I am not sure he can regain his 20/21 form. Hope to be proven wrong as I rate him. I also think we are looking at more run from defence hence JJ go back and he replaces him.

Bruce needs to prove to me he is a capable defender. He looks it great shape so he is doing everything right.

i would prefer to give the younger players with a bigger upside a go before Hannan and Roarke. I hear Hannan has been great in preseason but he goes missing too much for me in game. He has all the attributes, just does not get enough of the pill.

jazzadogs
29-01-2023, 09:51 AM
B: Duryea Jones Richards
HB: Dale Bruce Daniel
C: Smith Treloar Liberatore
HF: West Ugle-Hagan Hannan
I: Williams Garcia McLean Scott Gardner

I reckon it a given that Bruce will play CHB this year, and with Jones that’s a real key defender clean out. Gardner will play third tall defender this year, and Keith will be in and out as back up to Bruce and Jones.

We’ll have great depth this year. This will mean Darcy is brought along slowly, and guys not mentioned here will get regular games too. I predict we will have just about every guy on the list play at some stage, with the exception of maybe Busslinger who will really have to be knocking the door down to get a crack. Not worried by that though, he’s a 200 gamer in the making.

The depth is a double edge sword though. We'll lose a couple of good players to trades at the end of year as they look for more game time; which they’ll deserve.

I'm interested to know why you feel that way? I think he has been moved there for training not because he is a first choice option, but because the coaches identified limited opportunities in the forward line and wanted to build his skillset.

My backline is
Jones and Gardner (KPP)
Keath (3rd tall, interceptor) - this is the role Darcy is gunning for
Duryea (small close checking defender)
Richards, Dale (quarterbacks) - also acknowledge Richards is currently our best interceptor
Caleb - bench cover

Mids
English (ruck)
Bont, Macrae, Libba
Baker, Roarke (wings) - Baker v Williams v Roarke v Scott over the next month
5th mid/high half forward - Bailey Smith
Bench cover - McLean, Garcia, Williams

Forwards
Lobb out of the square, Naughton as our Nick Riewoldt, Jamarra floating
Weightman - at their feet, but also on their heads
West - forward pressure, hopefully some midfield minutes.
Bench cover - Hannan (he's a Bevo favourite and has been leading the running)

I imagine JJ and Darcy will find their way into the team as well, with West, Hannan, Williams and Keath on the fringe.

I have accounted for Treloar not being fit.

bornadog
29-01-2023, 10:03 AM
I haven't seen much of Baker but I can't see him coming straight in. He was a fringe player at Melbourne and they were happy to lose him and put Hunter on the wing, so that tells me a bit about his ability.

GVGjr
29-01-2023, 10:17 AM
I haven't seen much of Baker but I can't see him coming straight in. He was a fringe player at Melbourne and they were happy to lose him and put Hunter on the wing, so that tells me a bit about his ability.

While I agree Baker is no walk up start for round 1 we should acknowledge that Bevo normally embraces new arrivals and gives them the chance to grab a spot. I don't see why that would not apply to Baker if he impresses.
As for the Hunter and Baker example you have highlighted we often see what might be described as fringe players at some clubs getting chances in their new sides.
Baker was stuck behind 2 good wingers at Melbourne so no shame there. Time will tell if he gets a chance and then makes a strong showing.

The Doctor
29-01-2023, 10:22 AM
I'm interested to know why you feel that way? I think he has been moved there for training not because he is a first choice option, but because the coaches identified limited opportunities in the forward line and wanted to build his skillset.

My backline is
Jones and Gardner (KPP)
Keath (3rd tall, interceptor) - this is the role Darcy is gunning for
Duryea (small close checking defender)
Richards, Dale (quarterbacks) - also acknowledge Richards is currently our best interceptor
Caleb - bench cover

Mids
English (ruck)
Bont, Macrae, Libba
Baker, Roarke (wings) - Baker v Williams v Roarke v Scott over the next month
5th mid/high half forward - Bailey Smith
Bench cover - McLean, Garcia, Williams

Forwards
Lobb out of the square, Naughton as our Nick Riewoldt, Jamarra floating
Weightman - at their feet, but also on their heads
West - forward pressure, hopefully some midfield minutes.
Bench cover - Hannan (he's a Bevo favourite and has been leading the running)

I imagine JJ and Darcy will find their way into the team as well, with West, Hannan, Williams and Keath on the fringe.

I have accounted for Treloar not being fit.

where do you see JJ fitting in?

jazzadogs
29-01-2023, 11:09 AM
where do you see JJ fitting in?

I thought he would have West or Hannan's role, but him playing half back in match sim threw a curve ball at that.

I'm not convinced that he's going back again, but I think Garcia out, Caleb to midfield cover and JJ to half back is a net positive.

jazzadogs
29-01-2023, 11:19 AM

I am basing his inclusion on training reports, as he seems one of the first choice. It would not be unlike Bevo.

I don't share your concerns that he was a fringe player. I understand the situations are not identical and not taking the conversation over old ground, but Lipinski and Young were also fringe players.
You can be a good player missing out on opportunities through circumstance - like having AA winger Ed Langdon and Angus Brayshaw ahead of you. His numbers at VFL level are good for a wing - he got 34 touches against Footscray in round 18.

1eyedog
29-01-2023, 11:48 AM

The one thing he has going for him is he is a genuine wingman and the only one on our list. I think breaking into a Demon's team with the extremely durable and consistent Hunt and Langdon was probably an uphill battle, despite playing really well over an extended time in the VFL.

I don't know much about him the only information coming from a Melbourne supporting mate but apparently he's quick and has a crack. One negative is his kicking or so I've heard.

I personally think he is a player in a position of need and I can see him getting a jumper early in the season.

Mavericks
29-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Baker is interesting, has speed, aggression but appears his skills are hit and miss. I hope his delisting is a wake up call for him and he now understands he needs to improve his professionalism off field, especially during the season.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Baker is interesting, has speed, aggression but appears his skills are hit and miss. I hope his delisting is a wake up call for him and he now understands he needs to improve his professionalism off field, especially during the season.

I found it interesting in his interview for the club when he arrived, that he met with Bevo & Power during the season with a view of a trade potentially. So we’ve seen something in him for a long while to have targeted him, long before Hunter was out the door. So I’m hoping you’re bang on. Plus we got him for free!

azabob
29-01-2023, 12:10 PM
I’m surprised to see Keath left out of so many teams.

Back half of 2021 and 2022 were a total write off due to injuries.

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.

Bulldog Joe
29-01-2023, 12:59 PM
I found it interesting in his interview for the club when he arrived, that he met with Bevo & Power during the season with a view of a trade potentially. So we’ve seen something in him for a long while to have targeted him, long before Hunter was out the door. So I’m hoping you’re bang on. Plus we got him for free!

I find it intriguing that Melbourne were prepared to let him go to effectively create the space for Hunter.

Bulldog Joe
29-01-2023, 01:01 PM
I only have training reports and it just highlights that we have great depth with plenty of regulars under pressure for a spot.

Hopefully this translates into a strong start to the season.

meenies
29-01-2023, 02:16 PM

From all reports he is now moving well and injury free, for this reason alone I’d be giving him the nod ahead of Bruce and Darcy.

For mine all three are in great condition. My early worry is if he is on the same page as coaches. If this changes in the match sims then I would swap him in as first choice.

dog town
29-01-2023, 03:27 PM

Keath is in very good condition and has been getting quite a bit of the footy. I would be surprised if he didn’t have a big season back somewhere towards his 2021 form.

bornadog
29-01-2023, 03:55 PM

Didn't train last week due to an ankle injury. Hopefully not severe.

dog town
29-01-2023, 03:58 PM
Didn't train last week due to an ankle injury. Hopefully not severe.

He was doing some decent running on the sidelines so don’t think it’s anything major.

GVGjr
29-01-2023, 04:05 PM
He was doing some decent running on the sidelines so don’t think it’s anything major.

More of less to avoid contact. I think he will be good to go very quickly.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2023, 05:34 PM
All the predictions here are great to find out who will not be picked because you know I know Bevo will flabbergast us with that 1st round team.
Everytime.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2023, 08:04 AM
Based on all the training reports supplied by the superstars on WOOF, my preferred line up at present (based more on selecting players without an understanding of the game plan the coaches want them to execute) is:

B: Duryea, Jones, Darcy
C: Williams, Libba, Daniel
HF: McLean, Naughton, JJ
F: Jamarra, Lobb, Weightman
I/C: Garcia, B Smith, Treloar, West + Buku

Duryea and Jones are walk up starts, while I’m increasingly keen for us to find roles for Darcy and get him playing senior footy. It may be he’s named back and spends time all over including deep forward.

Dale, Gardner and Richards offer us a great combination of defence and offence along the HB line. Gardner and Jones may both swap around a bit depending on match ups.

Williams has one wing locked down. I wanted to include Roarke but couldn’t, finding room for all is hard and I wanted Daniel more around the ball. I don’t think he plays a proper “wing” role like we’ve seen a few sides favour over recent years.

The engine room itself is fairly straight forward with Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean, Treloar, Smith, Garcia and West, with splashes of Daniel and Weightman, has some good looks about it and plenty of depth. English is the preferred ruck with Lobb and Darcy able to provide some chop again subject to opponent / part of the field.

The forward line in some ways is easier to pick than I have found in recent years with Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra all locks, along with Weightman and we know one resting midfielder who I have chosen McLean. Final spot a little tough, if JJ is going to spend time back it opens up a spot for one more genuine forward perhaps in the 23, and no idea who that is yet. For me, JJ starts forward though as he has genuine pace we need and has done well in the role.

Buku is my man for the 23rd player. He’s very much on the fringe for selection in his own right and has the versatility we need to fill the role and help cover across all parts of the ground. Really excited to see him play more senior footy in 2023.

Finding a spot in the field to start for everyone is quite hard, but I’m confident Smith and Treloar will be right to go come round 1.

MrMahatma
30-01-2023, 01:47 PM
I've got Bruce as KPD depth, and only getting a game in the case of an injury to a key defender, and even then may require 2 injuries.

Wouldn't shock me if we didn't actually see Bruce at AFL level this season.

1eyedog
30-01-2023, 08:53 PM
Based on all the training reports supplied by the superstars on WOOF, my preferred line up at present (based more on selecting players without an understanding of the game plan the coaches want them to execute) is:

Duryea and Jones are walk up starts, while I’m increasingly keen for us to find roles for Darcy and get him playing senior footy. It may be he’s named back and spends time all over including deep forward.

Dale, Gardner and Richards offer us a great combination of defence and offence along the HB line. Gardner and Jones may both swap around a bit depending on match ups.

Williams has one wing locked down. I wanted to include Roarke but couldn’t, finding room for all is hard and I wanted Daniel more around the ball. I don’t think he plays a proper “wing” role like we’ve seen a few sides favour over recent years.

The engine room itself is fairly straight forward with Libba, Bont, Macrae, McLean, Treloar, Smith, Garcia and West, with splashes of Daniel and Weightman, has some good looks about it and plenty of depth. English is the preferred ruck with Lobb and Darcy able to provide some chop again subject to opponent / part of the field.

The forward line in some ways is easier to pick than I have found in recent years with Naughton, Lobb and Jamarra all locks, along with Weightman and we know one resting midfielder who I have chosen McLean. Final spot a little tough, if JJ is going to spend time back it opens up a spot for one more genuine forward perhaps in the 23, and no idea who that is yet. For me, JJ starts forward though as he has genuine pace we need and has done well in the role.

Buku is my man for the 23rd player. He’s very much on the fringe for selection in his own right and has the versatility we need to fill the role and help cover across all parts of the ground. Really excited to see him play more senior footy in 2023.

Finding a spot in the field to start for everyone is quite hard, but I’m confident Smith and Treloar will be right to go come round 1.

That's pretty much our strongest team. Bet you 50 bucks Bevo squeezes Hannan in there. Also, I feel Scott is just in front of Garcia at present as well. I'm ok with that as Scott is the consumate professional and provides us with a bit more versatility.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2023, 09:58 PM
That's pretty much our strongest team. Bet you 50 bucks Bevo squeezes Hannan in there. Also, I feel Scott is just in front of Garcia at present as well. I'm ok with that as Scott is the consumate professional and provides us with a bit more versatility.

Hannan, Scott and Roarke all role players who will be valued for their ability to really help us execute our game plan and I could see all three coming into my side. I’m not quite sure at whose expense.

Dogs 24/7
31-01-2023, 08:34 AM
A fit Duryea is our number 1 lockdown small defender. Injuries impacted him last year and I am not sure he can regain his 20/21 form. Hope to be proven wrong as I rate him. I also think we are looking at more run from defence hence JJ go back and he replaces him.

Bruce needs to prove to me he is a capable defender. He looks it great shape so he is doing everything right.

i would prefer to give the younger players with a bigger upside a go before Hannan and Roarke. I hear Hannan has been great in preseason but he goes missing too much for me in game. He has all the attributes, just does not get enough of the pill.

I keep hearing that this might be his last year for Duryea but finding a replacement isnt as evident yet. I think he will get another year with us. Reports about Bruce appear to indicate he isn't a natural defender so its hard to see him ahead of Jones Gards and Keath but based on previous years Bruce could still be selected. Darcy could even be ahead of him.

The younger player comment is something I dont understand with for first round projections. We made finals last year and recruited two very experienced key position players to cover weaknesses so I wouldn't be passing on players just because of their age. Displayed form should be the only consideration at the moment.

josie
31-01-2023, 05:00 PM

Thanks GD. This is pretty much how I see it too, as others have said perhaps Scott or Roarke S instead of Garcia. Personally I’d like Garcia and West to get more mid time as I think they are both hard at it players and would like to see them given a reasonable stint. Scott or Buku as sub makes sense as they can play multiple positions.

If Treloar is not right for round 1 who would you have instead?

Mofra
31-01-2023, 05:07 PM
Thanks GD. This is pretty much how I see it too, as others have said perhaps Scott or Roarke S instead of Garcia. Personally I’d like Garcia and West to get more mid time as I think they are both hard at it players and would like to see them given a reasonable stint. Scott or Buku as sub makes sense as they can play multiple positions.

If Treloar is not right for round 1 who would you have instead?
TBH I don't think Treloar gets up in time, with Hannan the replacement.
Quite possibly Scott for West and Keath for Darcy/Buks depending on form over the intra-club & game against North.

GVGjr
31-01-2023, 05:18 PM
TBH I don't think Treloar gets up in time, with Hannan the replacement.
Quite possibly Scott for West and Keath for Darcy/Buks depending on form over the intra-club & game against North.

If Treloar isn't spending significant time in the main group in the training sessions by the end of next week he might not be ready for rounds 1, 2 or 3. Definitely getting to caution lights flashing stage.

Matjoh
06-02-2023, 04:42 PM
My round 1 team

FB Richards Keath Duryea
HB Daniel Gardner L.Jones
CC Dale Libba Macrae
HF Hannan Lobb B.Smith
FF Weightman Naughton McLean
RR English Bont Treloar
INT Darcy Williams JJ Khamis Baker
EM JUH Crozier Scott Vandermeer

Based "mainly" on overall performance I see this as the team to tackle a potentially tall Melbourne forward line first up. I assume as usual, players changing teams get to play against their old sides so Schache will play, and thats the only reason Baker gets the nod on the bench ahead of Garcia. But if Treloar doesn't get up for round 1 then Garcia's in.

For our own forwards I leave out JUH as he still runs under the ball and drops too many marks [even in recent open training sim] and competes [gets in the way] with Naughton. Darcy gets his spot and/or as another foil for the tall Melb forward line especially if Gawn plays forward a lot due to Grundys inclusion, as our backs are still a bit on the shortish side. [of course we could always put Weightman on Gawn to take speckies on him!] .

I have Dale move to the wing to provide more precision delivery to our forwards which might entice them to lead as we tend to bomb forward way too much expecting Naughton to take the grab which puts too much pressure and emphasis on him, although Lobb may improve that and Hannan for mine is the unassuming potential multiple goal kicker. Forward ground ball pressure is provided by Weightman, McLean and Hannan not to mention Smith.

I think the bench provides manoeuvrability across all lines.

No Bruce either as he did nothing on return last year and nothing in trainings.

GVGjr
06-02-2023, 04:59 PM
Good team MatJoh,

Ugle-Hagan is still not to be in it but perhaps it was a decision between Darcy and JUH for you?

I'd swap Richards and and Jones and Lobb and Naughton. Treloar needs to impress this week to be a chance for round one.

mjp
06-02-2023, 05:55 PM
Good team MatJoh,

Ugle-Hagan is still not to be in it but perhaps it was a decision between Darcy and JUH for you?

I'd swap Richards and and Jones and Lobb and Naughton. Treloar needs to impress this week to be a chance for round one.

Macrae outside is the one I don't like.

Doesn't play his best footy there...just seems to change his mindset whenever he plays outside the game.

Matjoh
06-02-2023, 06:18 PM
Yes wondered about Richards and Jones but..... - put Lobb at chf due to his longer range more? accurate goal kicking.

GVGjr
06-02-2023, 06:56 PM
Macrae outside is the one I don't like.

Doesn't play his best footy there...just seems to change his mindset whenever he plays outside the game.

Same here, Macrae is in the middle or on the bench from my perspective.

Go_Dogs
06-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Same here, Macrae is in the middle or on the bench from my perspective.

Yep. I wonder if Macrae gets challenged to play a more defensive lite-tag role for us in 2023 at times? He’s done similar roles in the past. Might be with Hunter and Dosh gone we need more accumulators too…. Hmmm.

GVGjr
06-02-2023, 08:56 PM
Yep. I wonder if Macrae gets challenged to play a more defensive lite-tag role for us in 2023 at times? He’s done similar roles in the past. Might be with Hunter and Dosh gone we need more accumulators too…. Hmmm.

He should be used a bit more that way but it's doubtful we will.
I saw something the other day on teams that used taggers in 2022 and for us we only tagged Cripps in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game.

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 02:04 PM
He should be used a bit more that way but it's doubtful we will.
I saw something the other day on teams that used taggers in 2022 and for us we only tagged Cripps in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game.

Agreed re. Macrae and that tagging stat is doing my head in. We really need to change something defensively given what we've seen post-2016. I know 2021 was an amazing run but large parts of the year were very ordinary, we got scored against heavily and it felt at times easily by middle of the road opposition. That trend has continued all the way up to the 2022 EF.

Since we got worked out post-2016 we've appeared hell bent on developing game plans that maximise players attacking traits at the expense of any form of defensive mindset in the middle of the ground. Bont, Baz and Treloar are attacking players, fine, give them space, Macrae needs to focus on contested ball, great, what does he do when he doesn't win it? Even Dosh was used as a largely attacking player who just so happens to tackle good and chase (he doesn't have the wheels to tag though).

Which other one of our mids are really good two way players? Libba? Libba needs help badly and is getting banged up again shouldering the load, particularly with Bont well down last year because of his hip struggles, man Libba was a bull last year but can he back it up? Bont works hard both ways but he does it by providing options through two way gut running. What is going to be the point of difference this season to help us stop the rot in the middle if we refuse to tag the best players at the best teams. How can it not be more of the same? We've gotta tag.

Outside of any psychological shift in the players mindset based on our recent history the only hope we have of creating points of difference in the middle is through McLean and I'm starting to day dream that maybe him missing from the side for so long is one reason we've been ordinary defensively in the middle when it counts, or, at least the reason we won't tag. Toby was played as a tagger leading up to his first knee so we know Bevo will play that role, if he has the right player.

I'd honestly be suprised if McLean doesn't play long minutes as a defensive mid and I hope he does cause he's a very good player and I reckon he's the only bloke that Bevo will use cause he knows he can deliver.

I'm definitely an advocate for tagging more this year.

bornadog
07-02-2023, 03:39 PM
I'd honestly be surprised if McLean doesn't play long minutes as a defensive mid and I hope he does cause he's a very good player and I reckon he's the only bloke that Bevo will use cause he knows he can deliver.

I'm definitely an advocate for tagging more this year.

Last year Cripps massacred us in the middle during the first quarter and they got away to a healthy start, which meant we had to chase them all day. In the 2nd quarter we tagged him out of the game and by the last quarter we should have won except we kept kicking behinds from inside 50 - lost by 12 points after kicking 2.7 in the last.

Similar thing happened a few years ago when Carlton beat us first time around after Cripps was let loose. Next time we played them Macrae tagged him out of the game and still picked up a decent amount of possessions.

Mclean is the man to do it and we need to use him more.

1eyedog
07-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Last year Cripps massacred us in the middle during the first quarter and they got away to a healthy start, which meant we had to chase them all day. In the 2nd quarter we tagged him out of the game and by the last quarter we should have won except we kept kicking behinds from inside 50 - lost by 12 points after kicking 2.7 in the last.

Similar thing happened a few years ago when Carlton beat us first time around after Cripps was let loose. Next time we played them Macrae tagged him out of the game and still picked up a decent amount of possessions.

Mclean is the man to do it and we need to use him more.

Yeah I like McLean. He was a terrier before his knee I hope he stays injury-free all year. What I also like about him is he's good enough to be creative and damaging when he's in there, so it's not all about him being simply a nullifying player.

Mofra
08-02-2023, 11:26 AM
Yeah I like McLean. He was a terrier before his knee I hope he stays injury-free all year. What I also like about him is he's good enough to be creative and damaging when he's in there, so it's not all about him being simply a nullifying player.
McLean is an effective high forward too so isn't a 'midfield only' player.
He can also take a wing if need be

1eyedog
08-02-2023, 11:42 AM
McLean is an effective high forward too so isn't a 'midfield only' player.
He can also take a wing if need be

Yeah he's really versatile I get why Bevo loves him.

letoucan
14-02-2023, 06:54 PM
Duryea Jones Darcy
Dale Gardiner Richards

Baker Macrae Willliams
English Bont Libba

McLean Naughton Weightman
Daniel Lobb JUH

Treloar Smith Bedendo West

Daniel IMO should try small forward. Sick of him down back, for all his good the opp always tries to find a mis match on him (Tracc keeping matching up on him in the GF....). Need a crumbing forward. Richards and Dale gone way past him. We have Macrae and Bont as good I50 kicks.

Give Mclean more mid time, he's a ready to go Dunkley replacement albiet smaller.

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 07:12 PM
Duryea Jones Darcy
Dale Gardiner Richards

Baker Macrae Willliams
English Bont Libba

Daniel Lobb JUH

Daniel IMO should try small forward. Sick of him down back, for all his good the opp always tries to find a mis match on him (Tracc keeping matching up on him in the GF....). Need a crumbing forward. Richards and Dale gone way past him. We have Macrae and Bont as good I50 kicks.

Give Mclean more mid time, he's a ready to go Dunkley replacement albiet smaller.

I like this one, you've nailed the wingers and the forward line looks like it can kick some goals plus we have a bit of fire power on the bench. I'm not sure about Bedendo given he has missed a couple of weeks but he will get some senior games.

knucklehead
14-02-2023, 09:23 PM
McLean seems to be the only mid who is likely to add to our defensive pressure.
it probably needs a mindset change by our midfielders.
Our lack of defensive midfield pressure has been a liability

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-02-2023, 09:55 PM
Duryea Jones Darcy
Dale Gardiner Richards

Baker Macrae Willliams
English Bont Libba

Daniel Lobb JUH

I like your thinking overall. Would like to see Daniel because of his superior disposal moved into the midfield.
Naughton to line up at CHF, would certainly open up our forward line.
Baker looks a likely type to strengthen our wings. Even with Dunkley we failed to match up quality midfielders like Cripps Petracca Dangerfield Oliver etc in the past and well worth Maclean thrown this responsibility. I would be happy to start West at half forward with Weightman doing his best work closer to goal.
Darcy may eventually provide more class at centre half back with Gardner better suited in a back pocket minding the opposition’s resting ruck man.
Should see improvement this year with the inclusions of Lobb Jones and Baker plus Naughton given more flexibility at CHF and agree with Daniel being better suited further afield. Maclean if fit enough would be a fine addition as a tagger in the midfield which we have lacked previously.

Axe Man
15-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Every club’s predicted line-up for their round 1 clash (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-every-clubs-predicted-lineup-for-their-round-1-clash/news-story/5b8cc63a2f7058a0dfd2b85a2795f485)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: E. Richards, L. Jones, R. Gardner

HB: B. Dale, S. Darcy, C. Daniel

C: J. Johannisen, T. Liberatore, J. Macrae

HF: L. Vandermeer, R. Lobb, J. Ugle-Hagan

F: C. Weightman, A. Naughton, R. West

Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, B. Smith

I/C: T. Duryea, T. McLean, A. Keath, B. Williams

Sub: R. Smith

Notable absentees: A. Treloar

Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen is the query. While he does bring versatility, his input was down last year and might be the victim of a Bevo squeeze if Treloar is fit. Josh Bruce has trained at centre-half-back but Sam Darcy could be anything so deserves first crack. Bailey Williams went backwards last year and is lucky to scrape in.

-Scott Gullan

bornadog
15-02-2023, 10:28 AM
Every club’s predicted line-up for their round 1 clash (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-every-clubs-predicted-lineup-for-their-round-1-clash/news-story/5b8cc63a2f7058a0dfd2b85a2795f485)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen is the query. While he does bring versatility, his input was down last year and might be the victim of a Bevo squeeze if Treloar is fit. Josh Bruce has trained at centre-half-back but Sam Darcy could be anything so deserves first crack. Bailey Williams went backwards last year and is lucky to scrape in.

-Scott Gullan

Macrae should not be on a wing, VDM is a query for me.

Go_Dogs
15-02-2023, 10:39 AM
If fit, JJ 1000000% plays. Just a matter of where…

Mantis
15-02-2023, 10:46 AM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

-Scott Gullan

It would be expected that both Jones & Gardner play 95+% game time and Darcy probably 85+%... so when does Keath come on the ground? And where does he play?

Can't see either of the 2 players mentioned on the wings starting there either.... Macrae either starts in the middle or is 1st off the bench.

Lobb will play deep and West is going to struggle to play rd1 based on training form.

As a Bulldogs supporter who would hopefully be all over our training reports this is a pretty shit effort from Scott.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Duryea Jones Darcy
Dale Gardiner Richards

Baker Macrae Willliams
English Bont Libba

Daniel Lobb JUH

Nice effort Letoucan!
Bedendo on the bench is an eye-raising one for me. I'd be genuinely interested in the reasoning behind him being in the Rnd 1 team.

Bulldog Joe
15-02-2023, 04:29 PM
It would be expected that both Jones & Gardner play 95+% game time and Darcy probably 85+%... so when does Keath come on the ground? And where does he play?

Can't see either of the 2 players mentioned on the wings starting there either.... Macrae either starts in the middle or is 1st off the bench.

Lobb will play deep and West is going to struggle to play rd1 based on training form.

As a Bulldogs supporter who would hopefully be all over our training reports this is a pretty shit effort from Scott.

Scott Gullan is picking a team to suit his media gig and hopefully putting Melbourne off balance in their thinking:)

Jasper
15-02-2023, 07:40 PM

WESTERN BULLDOGS

-Scott Gullan

Jacko on the wing is a huge mistake. Johannisen on a wing would be a good move

Mine would be

B: T. Duryea, L. Jones, S. Darcy

HB: B. Dale, R. Gardner , E. Richards

C: B.Williams, T. Liberatore, O. Baker

HF: J.Johannisen, A. Naughton, B.Smith

F: C. Weightman, R.Lobb, J.Ugle Hagan

Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, J. Macrae

I/C: T. McLean, C. Daniel, M. Hannan, A. Treloar

Sub: R.West

bornadog
15-02-2023, 07:57 PM
Jacko on the wing is a huge mistake. Johannisen on a wing would be a good move

Mine would be

B: T. Duryea, L. Jones, S. Darcy

HB: B. Dale, R. Gardner , E. Richards

C: B.Williams, T. Liberatore, O. Baker

HF: J.Johannisen, A. Naughton, B.Smith

F: C. Weightman, A. Naughton, J.Ugle Hagan

Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, J. Macrae

I/C: T. McLean, C. Daniel, M. Hannan, A. Treloar

Sub: R.West

two Naughton’s would be brilliant

Jasper
15-02-2023, 07:59 PM
Fixed

Axe Man
17-02-2023, 02:34 PM
Fox Footys effort:

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HF: Rhylee West, Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

I/C: Jason Johannisen, Sam Darcy, Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean, Taylor Duryea

We say: So many questions to be answered with the Bulldogs’ talls; they’ve gone from a severe deficit to a surplus. Liam Jones surely plays, and Josh Bruce has been training down back having been pushed out of the forward line; could Alex Keath be the one to miss out? We have him just ahead of Sam Darcy here but would totally understand Beveridge opting for the potential young superstar, who could realistically slot into Ugle-Hagan’s forward line spot as well - though the ex-No.1 pick has been working alongside Rory Lobb all pre-season and should partner him and Aaron Naughton. Oskar Baker is the potential wingman bolter, playing with the A side in match simulations and maybe forcing his way into the best 23 after being delisted by Melbourne - effectively meaning he was swapped for Lachie Hunter. Adam Treloar has been building up fitness after ankle surgery last September and should play some minutes in the pre-season clash with North Melbourne on March 4, with hopes he’s ready for Round 1.

Link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-predicted-round-1-lineups-sides-squads-analysis-team-news-preseason-updates-injuries-position-changes/news-story/19fc469ee1cb12ebedee3c7aa1b95638?fbclid=IwAR3JCz0EZGwz90wYFW H7dPJtF6yAiglH1lWmrnwv-b-vU9-uhhbC0fL-EPs)

GVGjr
17-02-2023, 02:42 PM
To me it's a little way off the mark. Macrae will play in the middle, Baz up forward and Laith on a half back. Williams will be on a wing.

Axe Man
17-02-2023, 02:45 PM
To me it's a little way off the mark. Macrae will play in the middle, Baz up forward and Laith on a half back. Williams will be on a wing.

With all these projected teams Bont, Libba, Treloar, Baz and Macrae can't all fit in 3 on ball spots so the media often stick them on a wing. I guess in reality half forward or bench is more likely.

1eyedog
17-02-2023, 11:45 PM

I think this exercise is more about personnel than positions at this stage.

weltschmerz
18-02-2023, 01:14 PM
I’m not sure why Vandermeer is such a consistent predicted best 22.

mjp
18-02-2023, 02:43 PM
two Naughton’s would be brilliant

Umm. Pretty sure if you had 2 and played BOTH of them forward several posters on here would storm the Match Committee meeting with ill-intent!

mjp
18-02-2023, 02:44 PM
I’m not sure why Vandermeer is such a consistent predicted best 22.

I think there are 14-15 'certainties' and a fair bit of variability about the last 6-7 spots + emergencies. I wouldn't read too much into people thinking Vanders is in the top 22 vs top 26...I think he's probably in the latter and will play some games.

Go_Dogs
19-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Ok, maybe a second last crack at this…

B: Duryea, Gardner, Keath
HB: Dale, Jones, Richards
C: Williams, Libba, Baker
HF: McLean, Naughton, Smith
F: Marra, Lobb, Weightman
IC: Daniel, Darce, Scott, Treloar, West

I’m assuming JJ isn’t quite right, if he is I’d bring him in for West.

We ARE a little light on for running defenders suddenly with Williams and Daniel in other roles. JJ back might be a thing and having Scott who while not a great defender and potentially Hannan who can also go back suddenly become more important players to round out our squads.

With our full complement of midfielders it means we have a tall genuine forward line, and lots of marking power, but we lack the ground level players and will be reliant on midfielders doing the dirty work in the front half and applying a lot of pressure at the ball drop and exit.

Feels like we’re getting quite close and to me the key additions in Jones, Lobb, Baker, and benefits of fitter / less injured players like Bont, Naughts, McLean, Keath, and more developed in Marra, Darce, and new roles in Daniel, potentially JJ, gives a good feel of new, while the core of our best 22 is quite similar.

GVGjr
19-02-2023, 09:09 AM
Ok, maybe a second last crack at this…

HF: McLean, Naughton, Smith
IC: Daniel, Darce, Scott, Treloar, West

I’m assuming JJ isn’t quite right, if he is I’d bring him in for West.

We ARE a little light on for running defenders suddenly with Williams and Daniel in other roles. JJ back might be a thing and having Scott who while not a great defender and potentially Hannan who can also go back suddenly become more important players to round out our squads.

With our full complement of midfielders it means we have a tall genuine forward line, and lots of marking power, but we lack the ground level players and will be reliant on midfielders doing the dirty work in the front half and applying a lot of pressure at the ball drop and exit.

Feels like we’re getting quite close and to me the key additions in Jones, Lobb, Baker, and benefits of fitter / less injured players like Bont, Naughts, McLean, Keath, and more developed in Marra, Darce, and new roles in Daniel, potentially JJ, gives a good feel of new, while the core of our best 22 is quite similar.

Really like the team but lets look at a couple of scenarios:
JJ comes good and is ready to go so what would you do there?
If we are hell bent on Daniel in the midfield who rolls into the back line when needed?

bornadog
19-02-2023, 10:11 AM
The way we are all looking at the team, we have three talls in the back and three in the forward 50, plus Darcy on the bench and Tim in the ruck. That is 8 genuine talls? Would we actually go with this ?

Hard to know what is going to work for us.

hujsh
19-02-2023, 11:23 AM
Bench

B:
Richards
Gardner
Dale

Dureya

HB:
Daniel
Jones
Keath

C:
JJ
Libba
Williams

Scott

HF:
Baz
JUH
McLean

F:
Weightman
Naughton
Lobb

West/Garcia

R:
English
Bont
Macrae

Treloar

E:
Bruce
Roarke
Vanders
Sweetie/Martin

That's my attempt. Draft permitting. I'd like a forward to replace Garcia TBH.

I could also see Scott or Roarke replacing one or both of Williams and JJ on the wing. JJ maybe moving out Garcia.

EDIT: Further explaining. I feel sticking Libba or Macrae on the wing is the wrong way to go. Might work with Baz or Adam but I think we should run our mids through the middle. Baz, Adam and Bont can spend some time forward and otherwise can rest on the bench. Libba and Macrae are bench or guts. Gives us options, flexibility and depth without having too many cooks.

Bench

B:
Richards
Gardner
Dale

Daniel

HB:
Dureya
Jones
Keath

C:
Baker
Libba
Williams

Scott

HF:
Baz
Lobb
McLean

F:
Weightman
Naughton
Bruce

JJ

R:
English
Bont
Macrae

Treloar

E:
JUH
West
Roarke
Darcy/Sweet

I'm making a few changes to my original team.

Doesn't seem like JJ to the wing is panning out with Baker, Williams, Scott and Smith the contenders. Daniel I have as a defender on the bench but I think it's a mix between defence and midfield. Scott maybe also playing a mix of defence, mid or forward depending on rotations.

Biggest change is obviously JUH out. Reading the reports he sounds like he's in good shape but not good form and Bruce sounds like he's in good shape/form but can't use the ball in defence with any competence. I think the obvious move is to make JUH force someone out and dominate VFL with Darcy until then. Bruce should be better at using space/not getting in the way of Naughton and Lobb, and a more composed and accurate shot for goal.

Thoughts? Am I crazy WOOFers? Do any pre-season watchers want to correct my interpretation of the reports?

Bulldog Joe
19-02-2023, 11:28 AM
The way we are all looking at the team, we have three talls in the back and three in the forward 50, plus Darcy on the bench and Tim in the ruck. That is 8 genuine talls? Would we actually go with this ?

Hard to know what is going to work for us.

Well if we go with that we should dominate the air.

Really should not be getting outmarked very often.

Go_Dogs
19-02-2023, 07:11 PM
Really like the team but lets look at a couple of scenarios:
JJ comes good and is ready to go so what would you do there?
If we are hell bent on Daniel in the midfield who rolls into the back line when needed?

JJ to the bench, and he can play back / forward as the rotations and match ups require. In that scenario, it’s probably West out, Darce to sub and JJ into the 22 as a defender.

Treloar spent time back last season and I would be half tempted to play him there especially early in the season while he gets a few matches under his belt.

Flipper
20-02-2023, 04:33 PM
IC: Daniel, B Smith, Treloar, Darcy: Sub Vandermeer

It's really hard to assign positions and I find I'm sitting on the fence a lot so I've broken it down a little differently

KPD - Jones, Gardner - Gardner at full back because he is the most athletic and best suited to trying to get a spoil in when we let opposition midfields deliver into an open forward line with no pressure. Jones at center half back, hopefully gives him the opportunity to set up and take intercept marks when we lock the ball into our forward line.

Intercept defender/3rd tall defender Keith or Darcy - I think the real benefit of Jones coming it is that if frees up Keith to play a looser intercept role which he did well at Adelaide. It sounds like he's trimmed down and is moving well which is great news and I'd have him ahead of Darcy coming in to the year although it sounds like Darcy is showing great signs this preseason. It's a great problem to have and should give us a much better base to build a rebound game off in 2023.

Small defenders - Dale, Richards and Durea. Pretty good trio but really need Durea to find form and fitness as he is the best defensive option we have on the list.

Onballers - Bont, Macrae, Libba, English - Probably pick themselves. When I see opposition midfielders burst out of the stoppages I think I'd like someone a little more explosive in there like Treloar or Smith but an on song Libba is the best coalface player in the competition, you really want Bont getting the ball as often as possible and Macrae's composure and hands in close offer more on ball than he can anywhere else on the field.

Wingers 2 of Williams, R Smith, B Smith, Baker, Hannan, Vandermeer- Feels like the 2 for round 1 might be Williams and Baker. For mine the biggest weakness on the list- We really don't have anyone who I'd consider to be above average at best in that role. That said a good winger seems to be about the most difficult footballer to find these days because I don't really think there are many in the league. Williams had some good games last year but also some pretty bad ones. Roarke Smith seems to be the most consistent at it and runs well both ways but doesn't really have any weapons to make him dangerous in that role. Bailey Smith could be great if he can get hang of positioning but that's easier said than done. Hannan has the weapons but doesn't seem to find enough of the ball which I think might be the case with Oskar Baker too. Vandermeer I loved in his first year but he really hasn't come on. Fast and hard at the contest but shanks too many kicks and is always injured.

Tall forwards Naughton, Lobb and Jamara Hoping the three can work well in tandem and create isolation opportunities. Seem to have skillsets that will complement eachother rather than compete with eachother Naughton and Jamarra are both good at ground level so not too top heavy. Darcy potentially replaces Jamarra if form warrants.

Small Forwards- Weightman, McLean, Johannison - Weightman is really our only genuine small forward and I like Maclean in that mid/half forward role since he is agile, crafty and aggressive. Sounds like we might also see Daniel play that role at times. I think JJ is really important as that half forward who tries to create/close space with repeat sprints. Hannan and Vandermeer have also played the role well at times bu JJ is more skilled and a better finisher.

Bench - Daniel, Treloar, B Smith, Darcy - The first 3 are simply too tallented to not include and Darcy sounds like he his almost forcing the match committees hand. The lineup seems a bit tall with him in but we need to get games into him and should do so when form warrents.

Sub - Vandermeer - I think his flexibility fits nicely here. Can play forward back and wing and come on and run his legs off. Otherwise Hannan, Roarke Smith or A Scott.

Others - R West - I love Westy, his good games are so good and the way he attacks the ball can really get the team going but he just has too few good games at the moment.

A Scott - Wouldn't surprise me if he is in the team round 1 just wasn't sure where to put him :P

Stevo
20-02-2023, 06:33 PM
Well that is a fantastic post by one of our newer members. Thanks Flipper

Virgin-Dog
20-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Really think Flipper nailed it. Only one I "disagree" on is VDM as sub. Personally I'd have one of Roarke Smith, Anthony Scott or Bailey Williams in the side (Flipper has Williams) with one of the remainders as sub. Scott and Roarke both lack elite traits, but are reliable, versatile players who rarely go missing. Both low ceiling, high floor players, and Roarke has been one of our better players in the last two finals we've played

Flipper
20-02-2023, 08:03 PM
Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from and I probably have rose coloured glasses with Vandemeer.

I do think that the high half forward role is a difficult one to play and the impact doesn't necessarily reflect on the stats sheet. There is a lot of unrewarded running to create space for others on fast turnovers and also defensively to shut down space on the open side on switches. It really does require a high speed, high endurance athlete for those repeat sprint efforts.

I know fans often wonder why Hannan or Vandermeer get games and I think a part of it is because they play that role

Go_Dogs
20-02-2023, 08:16 PM
Like that side a lot Flipper, well done.

azabob
20-02-2023, 08:32 PM
Great effort Flipper.

I’d swap Darcy for a defensive runner either Scott or R. Smith. Ideally I’d love to play both of them. For mine they shouldn’t be subs either.

The unknown is what type of player Baker is, is he a defensive two way runner or is he a one way runner?

JanLorMill
20-02-2023, 11:00 PM
Is Arthur Jones a sneaky chance of playing round 1?

GVGjr
20-02-2023, 11:03 PM

I don't think so but I do think he will play some senior football this year. Back in December and Jan I wasn't so sure but the last 3 weeks he has really shown some improvement. He's one of the first players on the track and is highly enthusiastic.

Jasper
20-02-2023, 11:07 PM

He will have to bide his time and wait for an opening. He would be a long way back at the moment.

1eyedog
21-02-2023, 12:00 AM
Yeah Flipper has crushed that. My only question mark is Baker. He seems to be getting named a heap. I've been to a number of training sessions and I'm yet to see it. He is a nice player but has zero runs on the board at the moment.

Thinking Bevo will play best available / experience rather than make selections based on players who can play in specific positions. It's his way.

I liken Baker being selected to the Sweet conundrum. We have a serviceable ruckman on the list but we will use every other player in the role before we select him cause we don't trust him. Same applies to Baker for me atm and I can see him opening his account at Footscray with Williams and VDM / B Smith running through the wings and Scott or West as a sub.

If Baker can prove his worth at Footscary across the first few games there is definitely a spot in the team for him.

Mantis
21-02-2023, 10:21 AM
Yeah Flipper has crushed that. My only question mark is Baker. He seems to be getting named a heap. I've been to a number of training sessions and I'm yet to see it. He is a nice player but has zero runs on the board at the moment.

Thinking Bevo will play best available / experience rather than make selections based on players who can play in specific positions. It's his way.

I liken Baker being selected to the Sweet conundrum. We have a serviceable ruckman on the list but we will use every other player in the role before we select him cause we don't trust him. Same applies to Baker for me atm and I can see him opening his account at Footscray with Williams and VDM / B Smith running through the wings and Scott or West as a sub.

If Baker can prove his worth at Footscary across the first few games there is definitely a spot in the team for him.

You’ve forgotten one thing with regard to Baker… Bevo loves a new toy.

I think Baker adds a bit of outside pace which we’re lacking so I see him being a part of our wing rotations to start the season… up to him how long he remains in the team.

GVGjr
21-02-2023, 10:38 AM

I think Baker adds a bit of outside pace which we’re lacking so I see him being a part of our wing rotations to start the season… up to him how long he remains in the team.

There is just to many examples in recent years to rule this one out.

hujsh
21-02-2023, 11:41 AM

Seems like he's a strong tackler so if he has the discipline I could see him being a pacier version or Roarke, locking down one wing in a semi-defensive role while the other wing (probably Williams) is a bit more offensive (with some defensive interception license since it's Bailey)

1eyedog
21-02-2023, 11:54 AM

Yes I guess he did play TOB didn't he.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2023, 12:33 PM
There is just to many examples in recent years to rule this one out.

Yep he loves them. Towards the end of last year when we beat Melbourne we had a player playing on Langdon and kept him quiet. Can someone remember who that player was? I'll have him doing the same job.

Grantysghost
21-02-2023, 12:56 PM
Yep he loves them. Towards the end of last year when we beat Melbourne we had a player playing on Langdon and kept him quiet. Can someone remember who that player was? I'll have him doing the same job.

Was it Rourke? He's an old toy though.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2023, 01:01 PM

Roarke you mean. No not a new toy just wondering who the player was. Could have been Roarke.

GVGjr
21-02-2023, 01:40 PM
Hayes was given a fair run and we even delisted him and then added him back I'll be interested to see what happens with McComb this year

Critter
21-02-2023, 02:32 PM
Roarke you mean. No not a new toy just wondering who the player was. Could have been Roarke.

Roarke didn't play the day. Pretty sure it was Bailey Williams who shadowed him and kept him down to 13 disposals

Bulldog4life
21-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Roarke didn't play the day. Pretty sure it was Bailey Williams who shadowed him and kept him down to 13 disposals

Thanks for that Critter.

Critter
21-02-2023, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Flipper;827881]B: Duryea, Gardner, Keath
IC: Daniel, B Smith, Treloar, Darcy: Sub Vandermeer

It's really hard to assign positions and I find I'm sitting on the fence a lot so I've broken it down a little differently...]

I like your team Flipper, though there's a couple of changes I think are worth considering:

Full Back. I'd opt for Jones as I think he reads the ball in flight the best of all our key defenders. Gets himself to the right position and then uses his big body to hold his ground and move his opponent to an inferior position.

Wing. As you said, our greatest weak spot. I'm happy with Williams but less sure about Baker. Too often last year the ball easily and quickly rebounded out of our forward line. It put a lot of pressure on defenders, who often were caught one out. I think this year we need wingers who are capable of defence as well as attack. We get that in spades with Williams but I query Baker's defensive capability. I'd opt for Scott, as I think he has the mental discipline to defend or attack as necessary. He's a neat footbller with good all around skills. Pace is his query. Then again, Lachie Hunter never looked capable of winning a Stawell Gift either.

Darcy/Jamarra/Keath. I doubt they all can play in the same team. We end up too tall. Like you, I prefer Keath to Darcy in the backline at this stage. Which, to me, leaves a choice between Darcy and Jamarra up forward. Both have had good moments in match simulation, so choosing is difficult. I think the intraclub at Ballarat and the practice match against North will decide who plays.

Vandermeer. I've lost faith. To me he doesn't get a game until he shows fitness, defensive effort and improved kicking. Straight-line speed in itself isn't enough.

JJ. Agree, definitely plays if fit. In addition to what he brings to the forward line, he provides great depth if necessary for our backline. I still remember 2017/18/19. In fact, with the improvement in our backline capability this year and the support that offers each defender, I think that he would be a bonus there. Particularly, in the event of injury to Duryea.

West/Garcia. In that event that either Marra or Darcy doesn't play, an extra on the bench is needed. I suggest that it should be either West or Garcia, but I can't decide who. Again, I suggest form at the intraclub at Ballarat or the practice game against North will decide who gets a spot.

I am increasingly Bullish.

Flipper
21-02-2023, 10:17 PM

In hindsight I'd probably go Scott over Baker. Just seemed like the talk was that Baker looked like he was preferred.

1eyedog
21-02-2023, 11:03 PM
In hindsight I'd probably go Scott over Baker. Just seemed like the talk was that Baker looked like he was preferred.

That's what I'm feeling as well. Hope he makes good his opportunity if he gets it.

Generation West
22-02-2023, 09:55 AM
Round 1
B: Keath Jones Cleary
HB: Richards Gardner Dale
C: Williams Libba B. Smith
HF: JJ Naughton McLean
F: Weightman JUH Lobb

I/C: Daniel Treleoar Scott West
Sub: Darcy

Baker has not done enough in my opinion, so needs to earn his place with good VFL form. Duryea has been patchy through the pre season and I really like Cleary as a player. Bedendo to work his way in to the side early as well (hopefully).

Axe Man
22-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Round 1
B: Keath Jones Cleary
HB: Richards Gardner Dale
C: Williams Libba B. Smith
HF: JJ Naughton McLean
F: Weightman JUH Lobb

I/C: Daniel Treleoar Scott West
Sub: Darcy

Scott is 48 years old but I think he could still hold his own. ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Do tickets for our round 1 game go on sale tomorrow?

Seems to suggest so here (https://www.afl.com.au/tickets/onsale-dates/toyota-afl-premiership-season).

bornadog
22-02-2023, 11:31 PM
Do tickets for our round 1 game go on sale tomorrow?

Seems to suggest so here (https://www.afl.com.au/tickets/onsale-dates/toyota-afl-premiership-season).

I have posted all the info here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?23250-Ticketing-for-2023&highlight=ticketing)

Rounds 1 to 3 already on sale. I have my ticket for round 1 in AFL reserve.

GVGjr
23-02-2023, 11:46 PM
Who gets matched up on
Pickett?
Fritsch?
Petracca?

when they are in the forward line?

JanLorMill
24-02-2023, 08:14 AM
Who gets matched up on
Pickett?
Fritsch?
Petracca?

when they are in the forward line?
Dureya, Jones and Daniel

GVGjr
24-02-2023, 08:55 AM
Dureya, Jones and Daniel

Duryea on Pickett makes some sense but I think Jones on Fritsch and Daniel on Petracca could be problematic.

JanLorMill
24-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Duryea on Pickett makes some sense but I think Jones on Fritsch and Daniel on Petracca could be problematic.
Do you we have to lockdown on all 3? Gardner to Fritsch?

bornadog
24-02-2023, 09:45 AM
Do you we have to lockdown on all 3? Gardner to Fritsch?

Fritsch is hard to match up on. Who played on him last year at Docklands ? I missed that game.

1eyedog
24-02-2023, 10:03 AM
He's too quick and too crafty for Gardner. I hate to lose Richards' drive but he is certainly an option for Fritsch. Fritsch is loose defensively so Richard's may get some rebound opportunities.

He is a hard match up and we don't have a perfect fit for him.

Do we need 3 tall backs for Melbourne? Jackson is dangerous but has gone who will play forward? Grundy, McDonald and Brown? None of them played at the end of last year. Gardner to Brown and Jones to Grundy?

comrade
24-02-2023, 10:14 AM
Dale Morris would have been perfect for Fritsch. He was perfect to match up on most forwards, to be honest :(

Axe Man
24-02-2023, 10:19 AM
He's too quick and too crafty for Gardner. I hate to lose Richards' drive but he is certainly an option for Fritsch. Fritsch is loose defensively so Richard's may get some rebound opportunities.

He is a hard match up and we don't have a perfect fit for him.

Do we need 3 tall backs for Melbourne? Jackson is dangerous but has gone who will play forward? Grundy, McDonald and Brown? None of them played at the end of last year. Gardner to Brown and Jones to Grundy?

Apparently Gawn will play 70% forward with Grundy the main ruck. As you say they have Brown and McDonald and also a young KPF in Van Rooyen, so we will likely need the 3 KPDs.

bornadog
24-02-2023, 10:35 AM
Apparently Gawn will play 70% forward with Grundy the main ruck. As you say they have Brown and McDonald and also a young KPF in Van Rooyen, so we will likely need the 3 KPDs.

they may play Schache?

Axe Man
24-02-2023, 10:44 AM
they may play Schache?

Doubtful, I think he is currently behind all those names. They seem bullish on Van Rooyen.

GVGjr
24-02-2023, 10:47 AM
Dale Morris would have been perfect for Fritsch. He was perfect to match up on most forwards, to be honest :(

I know Hannan hasn't quite worked out well for us as a defender but could he be the answer? I believe Smith really rates him.

Grantysghost
24-02-2023, 11:00 AM
they may play Schache?

At casey

bornadog
24-02-2023, 11:02 AM
At casey

Melbourne v Saints tonight so we will see who they play.

Mantis
24-02-2023, 11:33 AM
Fritsch is hard to match up on. Who played on him last year at Docklands ? I missed that game.

Buku was on him for large parts of that game.

Happy Days
24-02-2023, 12:13 PM
At casey

Steve May can give him directions to the ground.

bornadog
24-02-2023, 12:43 PM
Buku was on him for large parts of that game.

Do we go with Buku again?

Axe Man
24-02-2023, 12:57 PM
Do we go with Buku again?

Hasn't he trained as a forward all pre season?

chef
24-02-2023, 02:33 PM
Hasn't he trained as a forward all pre season?

Since when has that mattered haha

F'scary
24-02-2023, 02:43 PM
Schache would have to be ahead of Ben "Scrap Heap" Brown, surely?

meenies
25-02-2023, 07:03 PM
For the North practice match:

Gardner, L Jones, Duryea
Dale, Keath, Richards

Williams, Treloar, Scott

McLean, JUH, Macrae
A Jones, Lobb, Naughton

English, Bonty, West

B Smith, Daniel, Libba, Darcy (if not injured, if injured Khamis), Crosier

Smith, Daniel, Libba as key rotations with Monty, West and Treloar. Macrae and McLean thrown in the mix at various times.

Mofra
26-02-2023, 07:17 PM
Schache would have to be ahead of Ben "Scrap Heap" Brown, surely?
Brown led the competition for goals for his last 3 full seasons at north. Schache could only dream of that output for a season, let alone 3

The Underdog
28-02-2023, 02:10 PM
Pretty boring 23, and a couple of injury questions, but

Duryea, Gardner, L. Jones
Dale, Keath, Richards
Williams, Liberatore, Scott
B. Smith, Ugle Hagan, Weightman
JJ , Lobb, Naughton

English, Bontempelli, McRae

Treloar , Daniel, McLean, Darcy (don't love it for balance, but not sure you can keep him out atm)

Sub: Hannan (can play forward, back, wing or ruck :rolleyes:)

Emg: West, Garcia, Crozier, Baker

Probably prefer to add a mid for a tall, but not sure who misses. But also still somehow too many mids and not enough (any?) specialist small forwards. A few deserving guys on the fringe putting on pressure for spots.

Stevo
28-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Pretty boring 23, and a couple of injury questions, but

Duryea, Gardner, L. Jones
Dale, Keath, Richards
Williams, Liberatore, Scott
B. Smith, Ugle Hagan, Weightman
JJ , Lobb, Naughton

English, Bontempelli, McRae

Treloar , Daniel, McLean, Darcy (don't love it for balance, but not sure you can keep him out atm)

Sub: Hannan (can play forward, back, wing or ruck :rolleyes:)

Emg: West, Garcia, Crozier, Baker

Probably prefer to add a mid for a tall, but not sure who misses. But also still somehow too many mids and not enough (any?) specialist small forwards. A few deserving guys on the fringe putting on pressure for spots.

Looks to be spot on to me Underdog.

The Underdog
28-02-2023, 03:34 PM
Looks to be spot on to me Underdog.

Except now Gardy’s out…that was quick. Might mean Darcy goes back. Do we bring in a mid or Crozier?

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 04:07 PM
Except now Gardy’s out…that was quick. Might mean Darcy goes back. Do we bring in a mid or Crozier?

It probably opens the door more for Darcy but I wouldn't rule out Bruce or Crozier.
Some challenging selections ahead for the MC.

Bulldog Joe
28-02-2023, 06:40 PM
It probably opens the door more for Darcy but I wouldn't rule out Bruce or Crozier.
Some challenging selections ahead for the MC.

You would think Bruce as the replacement for Gardner.

I would have had Darcy in the 22 in any case, but prefer him as a floater rather than holding a key spot in the back half.

Dogs 24/7
28-02-2023, 06:52 PM
You would think Bruce as the replacement for Gardner.

I would have had Darcy in the 22 in any case, but prefer him as a floater rather than holding a key spot in the back half.

The only problem with that would be the number of key position players we take into the game. Is 8 too many?
Keath, Jones, Bruce, English, Darcy, JUH, Naughton and Lobb seems one too many so I wouldnt replace Gardner with Bruce and would bring in Cleary.

Bulldog Joe
28-02-2023, 10:16 PM
The only problem with that would be the number of key position players we take into the game. Is 8 too many?
Keath, Jones, Bruce, English, Darcy, JUH, Naughton and Lobb seems one too many so I wouldnt replace Gardner with Bruce and would bring in Cleary.

I understand where you are coming from, but we need to play to our strengths and our strengths in 2023 are around the big guys.

It has been a clear recruitment strategy and we need to utilise it.

It also means we need them to maximise their ground level efforts and have others feeding off them.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-03-2023, 06:10 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but we need to play to our strengths and our strengths in 2023 are around the big guys.

It has been a clear recruitment strategy and we need to utilise it.

It also means we need them to maximise their ground level efforts and have others feeding off them.

Bevo believes that with for the first time it is a luxury to have 3 players in English Lobb and Darcy over 7 foot that it will give us a distinct aerial advantage to enable us to play to their strengths. The Coach quoted also that the endurance of Lobb and superb fitness
makes him a valuable addition to the Club. Liam Jones was sought after by other Clubs as well before choosing the WB.

bornadog
04-03-2023, 06:18 PM
Well after the hitout and a few injuries, how are we looking?

My team:

B: Daniel Jones Richards
HB: Dale Keath Duryea
C: Scott Liberatore Baker
HF: McLean Ugle-Hagan B Smith

I/C Treloar, Darcy, Bruce, Williams and Sub Hannan

Will depend on injury recovery for JJ, Duryea, Richards, and Crozier

jeemak
04-03-2023, 08:25 PM
Melbourne looked pretty good today. Running in waves as strongly as ever at times, we'll need to be super accountable no matter who we pick next week.

Grantysghost
04-03-2023, 10:51 PM
Melbourne looked pretty good today. Running in waves as strongly as ever at times, we'll need to be super accountable no matter who we pick next week.

I’ve got a theory that is always going to work in pre season when defensive attitudes may not be as razor sharp.

The turnover is the enemy of their cheating, let’s hope we can pressure the fk out of them.

jeemak
05-03-2023, 01:24 AM
I’ve got a theory that is always going to work in pre season when defensive attitudes may not be as razor sharp.

The turnover is the enemy of their cheating, let’s hope we can pressure the fk out of them.

It's not a bad theory and I wonder how much brining in blue chips like Hopper and Tarranto disrupts the one-in all-in attitude that has defined Richmond in recent history.

Axe Man
08-03-2023, 12:47 PM
Post practice match prediction from the HUN:

WESTERN BULLDOGS' PREDICTED 23

B: L. Jones, A. Keath, T. Duryea
HB: B. Dale, S. Darcy, E. Richards
C: A. Treloar, C. Daniel, B. Smith
HF: B. Williams, A. Naughton, J. Macrae
F: J. Ugle-Hagan, R. Lobb, A. Jones
Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, T. Liberatore
Int: O. Baker, A Scott, T. McLean, J. Bruce
Sub: H. Crozier
Notable absentees: Cody Weightman (groin), Ryan Gardiner (elbow)
Jon Ralph’s selection dilemma: Cody Weightman has missed both the Dogs scratch match and the win over North Melbourne with groin issues.
Why would he be risked in round 1 with such a long season ahead, which means Arthur Jones is on track for a debut as a small forward.
Josh Bruce played 87 per cent match time, so if Sam Darcy is used forward he could be a round 1 defender in a team needing plenty of tall options against Melbourne’s key attacking players in Max Gawn, Tom McDonald and Ben Brown.
Toby McLean and Anthony Scott are clearly in the best 22, which means Jason Johannisen, (who got match fitness in the VFL) and Rylee West (who came on late against the Roos) might both miss out.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/every-afl-teams-best-23-for-round-1/news-story/7cc14fa060295a17b567c20dce0e1354)

bornadog
08-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Post practice match prediction from the HUN:

WESTERN BULLDOGS' PREDICTED 23

B: L. Jones, A. Keath, T. Duryea
HB: B. Dale, S. Darcy, E. Richards
C: A. Treloar, C. Daniel, B. Smith
HF: B. Williams, A. Naughton, J. Macrae
F: J. Ugle-Hagan, R. Lobb, A. Jones
Foll: T. English, M. Bontempelli, T. Liberatore
Int: O. Baker, A Scott, T. McLean, J. Bruce
Sub: H. Crozier
Notable absentees: Cody Weightman (groin), Ryan Gardiner (elbow)
Jon Ralph’s selection dilemma: Cody Weightman has missed both the Dogs scratch match and the win over North Melbourne with groin issues.
Why would he be risked in round 1 with such a long season ahead, which means Arthur Jones is on track for a debut as a small forward.
Josh Bruce played 87 per cent match time, so if Sam Darcy is used forward he could be a round 1 defender in a team needing plenty of tall options against Melbourne’s key attacking players in Max Gawn, Tom McDonald and Ben Brown.
Toby McLean and Anthony Scott are clearly in the best 22, which means Jason Johannisen, (who got match fitness in the VFL) and Rylee West (who came on late against the Roos) might both miss out.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/every-afl-teams-best-23-for-round-1/news-story/7cc14fa060295a17b567c20dce0e1354)

Another Journo who can't spell Gardner :D

But seriously, Darcy at CHB?, Daniel in the centre, Treloar and B Smith wings and Williams HFF - #noidea

Axe Man
08-03-2023, 12:59 PM

But seriously, Darcy at CHB?, Daniel in the centre, Treloar and B Smith wings and Williams HFF - #noidea

I think ignore the positions and focus on the 23 players named. I don't think it's a bad prediction on that basis.

1eyedog
08-03-2023, 01:12 PM
Weightman in for Arty and JJ the sub is my best guess.

MrMahatma
08-03-2023, 01:24 PM
I think ignore the positions and focus on the 23 players named. I don't think it's a bad prediction on that basis.

And a strong team at that. We have a load of talent.

derb
08-03-2023, 02:11 PM
I want to get a good look at Tim O'Brien this year.

He was asked to play as a second key defender behind Gardiner which isnt his forte.

Our backline was dysfunctional for most of the year so I am not counting him out just yet.

He may be one that will benefit from the inclusion of Jones and a fit Keath.

meenies
08-03-2023, 02:25 PM

Agree, ignore magnet positions but at present those would be my 23. Cody has a week still and if he and the rest of those named are match fit, then I would take out Williams. For mine, Arty has earned a Round 1 debut.

Not keen on JJ coming straight in just yet.

Axe Man
08-03-2023, 02:32 PM
I want to get a good look at Tim O'Brien this year.

He was asked to play as a second key defender behind Gardiner which isnt his forte.

Our backline was dysfunctional for most of the year so I am not counting him out just yet.

He may be one that will benefit from the inclusion of Jones and a fit Keath.

It's a shame he's been injured because I would probably prefer him to Bruce in the absence of Gardner from what I have seen of Bruce as a defender.

azabob
12-03-2023, 11:07 AM

You missed Macrae on the other HF flank!

I’m still 100% Bailey Smith should be our attacking wingman with Scott and Williams riding defensive shotgun.

meenies
12-03-2023, 01:18 PM
Starting line up:
Duryea Jones Bruce
Richards Keath Dale
McLean Bont Scott
JUH Naughton Macrae
Baker Darcy Lobb

English Treloar Libba

Smith Daniel West Williams
sub: JJ

emergencies: Crozier Sweet Hannan

Virgin-Dog
12-03-2023, 06:28 PM
B:
Duryea - Jones - Richards
Crozier - Keath - Dale

C:
Scott - Macrae - Baker
English - Bont - Libba

F:
Smith - Naughton - McLean
JUH - Lobb - JJ

INT:
Williams (Wing/Def) - Treloar (Mid/Fwd) - Daniel (Mid/Def) - Darcy (Fwd/Def) | Bruce (sub)

jeemak
13-03-2023, 07:10 AM
I like your effort Virgin Dog though I think Hannan will sneak into the side. He's largely been played when fit over the past few years and he offers run and defencive effort.

Who he replaces will be interesting. We can use Darcy back, so I reckon it'll be Bruce.

bornadog
14-03-2023, 06:01 PM
With injuries and form - new prediction:

F: West Naughton Lobb

The Doctor
14-03-2023, 06:09 PM

No JJ? I think one of JJ or Hannan goes in now that Arty and Flea have been ruled out. It's not ideal that they haven't featured in the recent practice game/s but the optionS are bare DUE TO OUR LACK OF GENUINE SMALL FORWARDS

bornadog
14-03-2023, 06:14 PM
No JJ? I think one of JJ or Hannan goes in now that Arty and Flea have been ruled out. It's not ideal that they haven't featured in the recent practice game/s but the optionS are bare DUE TO OUR LACK OF GENUINE SMALL FORWARDS

I have Hannan as the sub. I just don't know if JJ is match ready, but agree should be in if fit.

Mantis
14-03-2023, 09:25 PM

If Melbourne have Brown, Gawn/ Grundy, McDonald & Fritsch up front how are you matching them up?

Grantysghost
14-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Ok my crack at the team for Rd 1 after pre season.

Daniel Keath Jones
Richards Bruce Dale
Williams Macrae Baker
Smith Naughton Treloar
Darcy Lobb Marra

English Bontempelli Liberatore

Sub West.

IC Hannan McLean Scott Duryea

Keath to Brown
Jones to Fritsch (he generally was playing on a smallish player v norf)
Bruce to McDonald.

Edit : JJ or Hannan toss a coin.

bornadog
14-03-2023, 11:33 PM
If Melbourne have Brown, Gawn/ Grundy, McDonald & Fritsch up front how are you matching them up?

Darcy would have to play back

Mantis
15-03-2023, 09:59 AM
Darcy would have to play back

Why? You have selected Bruce so I'm assuming he plays back... interested on who you have him playing on.