PDA

View Full Version : Will Bontempelli Win A Brownlow?

bulldogtragic
29-10-2022, 02:08 PM
Arguably our two greatest players didn’t, in EJ & Grant. Will Bontempelli win one?

mjp
29-10-2022, 02:27 PM
NO: Just like Robert Johnson he's done a deal with the devil...but he went down to the cross-roads and traded his Brownlow for 2x more premierships.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 02:38 PM
No. With extra characters to make WOOF's minimum character.

SonofScray
29-10-2022, 02:45 PM
I don’t think he will now, though that’s not to say he doesn’t deserve too.

He’s a sublime player and doesn’t have a huge way to go to be our best ever, but a few things work against him:
- a few seasons where injury has tempered his form, or at least patches in seasons we he looks like he is labouring
- he plays a really skilful, cerebral and classy game, with the hardness at the contest and rarely in robust conflict with others, therefore he doesn’t have avg punters and media pundits jerking off over him being a “beast.”
- he set the bar very high, very early and I think expectations hamper our appreciation sometimes. Polls well, but think it might for umpires too.
- he gets pinged for HTB a lot, more so than any other star player ever, I believe. Just doesn’t get looked after the way Judd and Kerr etc used to.

GVGjr
29-10-2022, 03:25 PM
I don't really rate a players value by this award but I wonder if he can stay in peak fitness for long during the season to win a Brownlow.
He will go close but there are probably 30 players each year that are capable of winning it so the odds are against him.
Bont's chances might improve if we can finish in the top 4 each season.

We need to maximise the years we have him playing for us.

jeemak
29-10-2022, 03:31 PM
If we finish top four and he's played to his potential then yes, I think he will.

Happy Days
29-10-2022, 04:09 PM
He did win one, they’re just letting Ollie Wines hold onto it as a joke.

Flamethrower
29-10-2022, 04:28 PM
No - Great players don't win Brownlows - it is really just a participation award for midfielders who gather meaningless possessions and suck up to umpires.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 04:41 PM
No - Great players don't win Brownlows - it is really just a participation award for midfielders who gather meaningless possessions and suck up to umpires.

Priddis doesn't like this.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2022, 05:19 PM
Priddis doesn't like this.

Shane Woewodin does. People might think he got more than his 22.16 average disposals across his winning year.

The bulldog tragician
29-10-2022, 06:21 PM
I always think of Bont in our premiership win. 13 perfect disposals. He did not rack them up, but did not waste any. I wonder if his greatness is as evident to outsiders.

I think his absolute best is being curtailed by playing injured and the responsibility of being captain. Last year was the first time I saw him openly vent frustration at his teammates. Though he was the natural choice to be captain it also came too early. And he’s suffered from a lack of leadership around him and having to be The Man too often. If it is true that there is a “culture” problem at the club it could be hard for a genial guy like Bont to be part of addressing that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-10-2022, 06:22 PM
Some really high quality threads coming in hot early this off season. Nice work!

I agree with Jee's assessment. If he's to win it, its going to be off the back of his best efforts in concert with those of his teammates. I suspect Baily Smith is a highly visible guy coming into his prime, who in the above scenario may also feature prominently at the Brownlow, and either win himself or take votes from Bont.

EasternWest
29-10-2022, 06:57 PM
I always think of Bont in our premiership win. 13 perfect disposals. He did not rack them up, but did not waste any. I wonder if his greatness is as evident to outsiders.

I think his absolute best is being curtailed by playing injured and the responsibility of being captain. Last year was the first time I saw him openly vent frustration at his teammates. Though he was the natural choice to be captain it also came too early. And he’s suffered from a lack of leadership around him and having to be The Man too often. If it is true that there is a “culture” problem at the club it could be hard for a genial guy like Bont to be part of addressing that.

I agree with all of this but didn't he have 22 perfect disposals that game?

jazzadogs
29-10-2022, 09:40 PM
I mean he polled 33 votes last year - do we think that was the best season he'll ever have? I think his best is still ahead of him.

Still needs a lot of luck with injury, team performance, and the umpires not being blinded by large quads on vanilla midfielders. But he can definitely win one.

The bulldog tragician
30-10-2022, 12:09 AM
I agree with all of this but didn't he have 22 perfect disposals that game?

Oops.

MrMahatma
30-10-2022, 12:32 AM
Bailey Smith will win it next year.

F'scary
31-10-2022, 02:48 PM
He will be beaten by Lewis Taylor.

bornadog
31-10-2022, 03:43 PM
He will be beaten by Lewis Taylor.

No wonder Kevin Bartlett was a failed coach

josie
31-10-2022, 07:47 PM
I was thinking no as he has been sacrificing his game for benefit of team eg swinging back or forward in last year or so, plus at times clearly labouring with niggles. If he is to win it I think it will have to be in next 2 years.

Go_Dogs
31-10-2022, 09:58 PM
I think his best shot was 2021. There’s still a chance I suppose, but it’s a tough caper and he’s been up for a while. Premierships - yes, he’ll win another.