PDA

View Full Version : Fixture 2023

jazzadogs
10-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Talk that the AFL are adding a 23rd game to each teams season, with the 'Magic Round' to take place in Adelaide in Round 5.

I read that South Australia will pay up to $13 million to host the weekend of matches. All 9 games/18 teams will play there over the course of the weekend.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2022, 10:50 PM
Apparently worth 500k to each club isn't it?

Interesting concept. Won't commit to liking it or hating it, obviously has financial merit given the last few years and the impact on coaching resources. Won't claim to know the ins and outs but I'd suspect most clubs would welcome the extra cash.

Logistically how does it work? Games at Adelaide Oval and AAMI Park?

soupman
10-11-2022, 10:51 PM
Talk that the AFL are adding a 23rd game to each teams season, with the 'Magic Round' to take place in Adelaide in Round 5.

I read that South Australia will pay up to $13 million to host the weekend of matches. All 9 games/18 teams will play there over the course of the weekend.

Even if it doesn't go well at least it'll be able to bring back that sweet sweet Covid no crowd nostalgia.

Great move from the AFL, even if it fails it succeeds.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-11-2022, 05:07 PM
What’s magical about it?

bornadog
11-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Why are people negative. Great promotion for the game.

jazzadogs
11-11-2022, 05:37 PM
Why are people negative. Great promotion for the game.

Yeh I like the idea. I'm not sure why it's called the 'Magic Round' but I think it will be during school holidays, should be a boom for SA tourism - I know I've got two groups of mates talking about heading over for it. Will be lots of bucks weekends getting organised for that week!!

Grantysghost
11-11-2022, 05:52 PM
Yeh I like the idea. I'm not sure why it's called the 'Magic Round' but I think it will be during school holidays, should be a boom for SA tourism - I know I've got two groups of mates talking about heading over for it. Will be lots of bucks weekends getting organised for that week!!

I think it's something that begun in Super League Rugby in the UK. The first one in 2007 was in Wales at the Millennium Stadium and it was dubbed Millennium Magic.

Then the NRL copied it.

Now the AFL has copied it.

Seriously, it's called Magic round in SA because of a stadium in Cardiff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Weekend

Axe Man
11-11-2022, 05:58 PM

Apparently the idea started in English rugby league and they called it magic weekend so I guess the NRL copied that and now the AFL.

It's actually bad that it's in school holidays, means no cheap flights to be had. It's mostly over the weekend so it didn't really need to be in school holidays for families anyway.

Edit: GG beat me to it. That will teach me for letting work interrupt a woof post halfway through.

MrMahatma
11-11-2022, 06:35 PM
I think it's something that begun in Super League Rugby in the UK. The first one in 2007 was in Wales at the Millennium Stadium and it was dubbed Millennium Magic.

Then the NRL copied it.

Now the AFL has copied it.

Seriously, it's called Magic round in SA because of a stadium in Cardiff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Weekend

I think it'll be great and hope that one year soon it's in Brisbane.

That said, they could've spent the 15 mins brainstorming to give it it's own name.

The Underdog
11-11-2022, 07:53 PM
What’s magical about it?

Are you suggesting the prospect of Gold Coast v GWS at Glenelg isn't magical?

GVGjr
11-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Decent option but I wonder if the supporters wanted State of Origin more?
An extra round might not be a bad thing.

bornadog
11-11-2022, 09:11 PM

I certainly am not interested in State of Origin, now that we have a national Competition.

EasternWest
11-11-2022, 09:19 PM

I certainly am not interested in State of Origin, now that we have a national Competition.

The idea of Bontempelli blowing out a knee in a pointless dick swinging contest makes we wake up screaming like I'm back over there.

F'scary
11-11-2022, 09:25 PM
I'd be asking for the money up front.

Vred
11-11-2022, 09:40 PM
I'll be driving over from Melb to SA for it and attending as many games as possible.

Take my money Adelaide.

MrMahatma
11-11-2022, 10:04 PM

Origin would be cool if it was just those who had retired in the past couple of years. I don’t want our guns playing when they could be resting!

I like the magic round concept. Reckon it’ll be a hit. A double header where the first is GWS v North followed by Crows v Pies would get massive crowds all day. With not much thought, they can make it a real success.

GVGjr
11-11-2022, 10:25 PM
The idea of Bontempelli blowing out a knee in a pointless dick swinging contest makes we wake up screaming like I'm back over there.

The players and supporters love it in the NRL with the view that the bigger game exposure is good for some of the players.
It's interesting that many people in the AFL look at the negatives of what might happen in a game and that overrules any positives.

EasternWest
11-11-2022, 11:04 PM
The players and supporters love it in the NRL with the view that the bigger game exposure is good for some of the players.
It's interesting that many people in the AFL look at the negatives of what might happen in a game and that overrules any positives.

I can't stress this enough.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-11-2022, 11:48 PM
The next time the Dogs get a schedule in a season where we are set to play Gold Coast and Brisbane in Queensland I'd love for us to look to make it a massive event and lobby to have it over two consecutive weekends aligned with say Vic School Hols deep in winter.

Our club marketing and membership team might then look to work with businesses and sponsors to construct travel and holiday packages in and around SE Qld for members. A week-long holiday in Qld in the middle of winter, say Term 2 school hols, bookended by two Bulldog's matches might be an attractive proposition for many Doggie's supporters and members.

Mitcha
12-11-2022, 01:14 PM
G, I would suggest that pretty much sums at that poxy sport that SOO games ARE the highlight of their season because of the lack of crowds and passion for their home and away season. I personally never ever want to see AFL SOO ever again. From chats that I have had AFL players would much rather win a premiership than represent their home state in a game that, let's be honest means very little.

GVGjr
12-11-2022, 03:45 PM
G, I would suggest that pretty much sums at that poxy sport that SOO games ARE the highlight of their season because of the lack of crowds and passion for their home and away season. I personally never ever want to see AFL SOO ever again. From chats that I have had AFL players would much rather win a premiership than represent their home state in a game that, let's be honest means very little.

How do we go about getting big game experiences for our players given we have trouble drawing that sort of crowd?
I remember in the 80's Sheedy pushing his players into as many SOO games as possible because he thought it would help them prepare for finals and I think it did.
I also went to a function where Clarkson talked about the values of pushing the Hawks players to their limits with their Kokoda hikes and he strongly believed the experience gained outweighed the risks and he was prepared to cop that.
Wheeler had players jumping out of planes because he wanted them to take risks and to build up their self belief.

I get the risks these games pose but it's overplayed and if we never have it again so be it but could the benefits be something amazing for the players that don't get to play in front of the bigger crowds?
A couple of years back we were regularly seeing Dunkley, Bontempelli and Naughton part timing it in the ruck and I would have thought that posed a decent level of and increased injury risk to them because they were inexperienced at it.

I just think you can always find convenient excuses not to do things.

SOO works so well for the NRL because it's also the gateway to representing the country.

EasternWest
12-11-2022, 05:07 PM
How do we go about getting big game experiences for our players given we have trouble drawing that sort of crowd?
I remember in the 80's Sheedy pushing his players into as many SOO games as possible because he thought it would help them prepare for finals and I think it did.
I also went to a function where Clarkson talked about the values of pushing the Hawks players to their limits with their Kokoda hikes and he strongly believed the experience gained outweighed the risks and he was prepared to cop that.
Wheeler had players jumping out of planes because he wanted them to take risks and to build up their self belief.

I get the risks these games pose but it's overplayed and if we never have it again so be it but could the benefits be something amazing for the players that don't get to play in front of the bigger crowds?
A couple of years back we were regularly seeing Dunkley, Bontempelli and Naughton part timing it in the ruck and I would have thought that posed a decent level of and increased injury risk to them because they were inexperienced at it.

I just think you can always find convenient excuses not to do things.

SOO works so well for the NRL because it's also the gateway to representing the country.

Please see above as to reasons why, regardless of any valid positives you might raise, SOO is a terrible idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure most players have a "you can't surf you can't do MMA" because you're a contracted professional athlete, and I reckon a nothing game of hit and giggle would come under the same bracket.

From a pure business sense if I'm paying millions for a Thoroughbred, I'm not signing off on it frolicking in a mud pit with a bunch of donkeys.

bornadog
12-11-2022, 06:52 PM
Please see above as to reasons why, regardless of any valid positives you might raise, SOO is a terrible idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure most players have a "you can't surf you can't do MMA" because you're a contracted professional athlete, and I reckon a nothing game of hit and giggle would come under the same bracket.

From a pure business sense if I'm paying millions for a Thoroughbred, I'm not signing off on it frolicking in a mud pit with a bunch of donkeys.

Totally agree.

The players also don't have their heart in it like the old days when there was a Vic comp, a SA and WA comp. Those days the players tried to prove a point, eg, WA players wanted to beat VIC and show they were good enough at that level.

NRL has a tradition that goes back a long time and they really want to play for their State and in the end it is just two states.

comrade
13-11-2022, 10:49 AM
I could get behind a State of Origin/All Star weekend if it was a once every 5 years type of thing - build hype around it, give it some meaning but I also hate the idea of one our stars copping a major injury.

bornadog
04-12-2022, 08:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjFAehcVUAAwgwv?format=jpg&name=medium

Sedat
04-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Nice to see city hall pulling in the overtime working 6am on a Sunday to release the R1 fixture. Wonder why lol

What an arrogant prick of an organisation.

soupman
04-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Nice to see city hall pulling in the overtime working 6am on a Sunday to release the R1 fixture. Wonder why lol

Embarrassing.

bulldogtragic
04-12-2022, 09:48 AM

Hard to hate the AFEL much more. But they keep finding new ways and new lows.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-12-2022, 10:06 AM
Embarrassing.

It really is.

bornadog
04-12-2022, 10:33 AM
We had a thing going with Collingwood as our opener for the season, but Melbourne sooked about having a GF rematch, and the whole Collingwood thing is shut down. Now the AFL won't have a GF rematch for next next year.

The fixture for round one was released yesterday, but really why this weekend. - idiots

westbulldog
04-12-2022, 11:06 AM
If you are going to Adelaide don't ignore this piece of crucial advice :-

"Fans attending the match though, were given a somewhat odd piece of advice by South Australian chief medical officer Nicole Spurrier, who advised fans to avoid touching the ball at all costs.
"Sometimes the ball, not that I've been to many football games, but I've noticed occasionally that it does get kicked into the crowd," she said.
"We are working through the details of what that will mean, but if you are at Adelaide Oval and the ball comes towards you, my advice to you is to just duck and do not touch that ball." And yes, she is still the CHO :)

Stevo
04-12-2022, 11:10 AM
We had a thing going with Collingwood as our opener for the season, but Melbourne sooked about having a GF rematch, and the whole Collingwood thing is shut down. Now the AFL won't have a GF rematch for next next year.

The fixture for round one was released yesterday, but really why this weekend. - idiots

What was the good thing with playing Collingwood each year?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-12-2022, 11:13 AM
If you are going to Adelaide don't ignore this piece of crucial advice :-

"Fans attending the match though, were given a somewhat odd piece of advice by South Australian chief medical officer Nicole Spurrier, who advised fans to avoid touching the ball at all costs.
"Sometimes the ball, not that I've been to many football games, but I've noticed occasionally that it does get kicked into the crowd," she said.
"We are working through the details of what that will mean, but if you are at Adelaide Oval and the ball comes towards you, my advice to you is to just duck and do not touch that ball." And yes, she is still the CHO :)

She should have been fired for this logic alone.

Grantysghost
04-12-2022, 11:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjFAehcVUAAwgwv?format=jpg&name=medium

Why is it Melbourne's home game again if this is going to be a thing? Wtf..!
Why do we get rolled so often. Good Friday is always Norfs home game too.

0 home blockbusters.

bornadog
04-12-2022, 11:21 AM

0 home blockbusters.

Haven't played a first round home game for 3 years.

Prince Imperial
04-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Haven't played a first round home game for 3 years.

That was against Collingwood but had a zero crowd because of Covid. The last time we were given a round 1 home match against another Victorian team was 2010 when we hosted the Magpies.

hujsh
04-12-2022, 12:30 PM

0 home blockbusters.

Do we even make money from crowds at home games? I'm perfectly fine with having scheduled away games against Melbourne based teams. Have home games against interstate teams and have the stadium for ourselves and hopefully travel less

Grantysghost
04-12-2022, 12:38 PM
Do we even make money from crowds at home games? I'm perfectly fine with having scheduled away games against Melbourne based teams. Have home games against interstate teams and have the stadium for ourselves and hopefully travel less

I believe we do yes.

bornadog
04-12-2022, 12:40 PM
What was the good thing with playing Collingwood each year?

Huge crowds to kick off the season

bornadog
04-12-2022, 12:41 PM
That was against Collingwood but had a zero crowd because of Covid. The last time we were given a round 1 home match against another Victorian team was 2010 when we hosted the Magpies.

Yes true

hujsh
04-12-2022, 01:39 PM
I believe we do yes.

Did that change with AFL ownership. I never heard about the stadium deal changing and last I remember it was a set figure for reaching a certain number (and pretty shit money)

GVGjr
04-12-2022, 02:04 PM
Huge crowds to kick off the season

It's on us now to generate attendances. We will be aiming for close to 55K members next year which is a great number.
We have a great chance to build a rivalry with Melbourne.

Grantysghost
04-12-2022, 02:06 PM
Did that change with AFL ownership. I never heard about the stadium deal changing and last I remember it was a set figure for reaching a certain number (and pretty shit money)

It's a very good question. There used to be a break even crowd figure like 25k at Marvel but have no idea now.

KT31
04-12-2022, 03:18 PM
Bulldogs’ round one fixture confirmed

The Western Bulldogs will open their 2022 AFL season with a blockbuster Saturday night clash against Melbourne.

From the Bulldogs website, will need to get a new flux capacitor for my Delorian. :D:D

Bulldog4life
06-12-2022, 11:26 AM
English & Lobb v Gawn & Grundy. Bring it on. Wouldn't be surprised if Grundy is first ruck and Gawn starts off in forward line.

Mofra
06-12-2022, 01:59 PM
English & Lobb v Gawn & Grundy. Bring it on. Wouldn't be surprised if Grundy is first ruck and Gawn starts off in forward line.
TBH part of their logic is probably to extend Gawn's career by giving him less CBA time.

Apples and oranges, but Keith (Boydy) moving to the backline probably squeezed and extra 1-2 years out of his career

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 03:34 PM
AFL fixture news: Carlton to replace Western Bulldogs in Good Friday match
The AFL will thrust one of the biggest clubs in the league into the Good Friday limelight in a bid to add some extra spice to the annual public holiday game.

The AFL will thrust Carlton into the Good Friday limelight next season in a bid to add some extra spice to the annual public holiday game at Marvel Stadium.

News Corp can reveal the Western Bulldogs have been dumped from the public holiday slot after routing the Kangaroos in their 2021-22 Good Friday battles.

While those two games have drawn crowds of 28,483 and 32,162, there are high hopes a Carlton versus North Melbourne game in Round 4 will draw a bigger crowd in 2023.

The Blues are hopeful of crashing into the top-four next season, helping break a decade-long finals drought after narrowly missing the eight following after a heartbreaking Round 23 loss to Collingwood.

The game on Friday, April 7, will also see the McKay twins, Harry (Carlton) and Ben (North Melbourne) lock horns and play each other under the roof.

Western Bulldogs wanted to retain the Good Friday game but have been replaced by Michael Voss’s men.

There will be huge broadcast interest in Carlton next year which should see the Blues given more prime time action including the prized Friday nights berths in 2023.

North Melbourne has worked hard to promote the Good Friday game but are determined to perform better in the marquee clash after 128 and 68-point defeats to the Bulldogs.

Alastair Clarkson has taken charge of the Kangaroos after a year off from coaching and is determined to clear his name amid the investigation into Hawthorn First Nations’ players between 2008-2016.

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Is anyone surprised at this change?

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 03:40 PM
Is anyone surprised at this change?

I am just a little.

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 03:43 PM
I am just a little.

Why? Norf wanted Carlton there, AFL want Carlton there. We were always going to get dumped eventually. Sadly we won't see it again either.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 03:44 PM
I'm so angry. Ropable.

The Carlton Football Club has been an absolute basket case. They have not played in the finals in the last eight years. Not a single appearance in the top eight. Nothing. Disaster of a club.

The Western Bulldogs have played finals in 6 of the last 8 seasons. Have won the Premiership and also played in another Grand Final.

We have also had the COVID interruptions. Not time to build momentum for the game.

How do they deserve anything? It is a f^&*(# disgrace.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 03:45 PM
Why? Norf wanted Carlton there, AFL want Carlton there. We were always going to get dumped eventually. Sadly we won't see it again either.

You make some good points but I thought the possession of the slot and the history that was being built could have been persevered with.

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 03:47 PM
I'm so angry. Ropable.

The Carlton Football Club has been an absolute basket case. They have not played in the finals in the last eight years. Not a single appearance in the top eight. Nothing. Disaster of a club.

The Western Bulldogs have played finals in 6 of the last 8 seasons. Have won the Premiership and also played in another Grand Final.

And to rub salt in the wound the article says they'll get even more PT spots than they already were gifted.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 03:48 PM
We also lost our first game of the season prime time slot of playing Collingwood on the Friday night. They make a one season change to have a GF replay. We now play Melbourne again the following season. They don't allow us to build any history.

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 03:50 PM
You make some good points but I thought the possession of the slot and the history that was being built could have been persevered with.

It should have been something to build between the 2 clubs but unfortunately this is the AFL. Carlton are their love child, always have been. The team has stunk for as long as I can remember and are given everything, clubs like ours get nothing.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 03:53 PM
Average attendance at Etihad. Carlton 34,000. Bulldogs 31,000. Do they really draw that many more people that we get booted? The AFL makes me sick with this decision.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 03:55 PM
It should have been something to build between the 2 clubs but unfortunately this is the AFL. Carlton are their love child, always have been. The team has stunk for as long as I can remember and are given everything, clubs like ours get nothing.

We have to start generating bigger attendances ourselves so that it removes the temptation for the AFL to takes prime time slots from us. If we can jump up on the ladder for a few seasons with good results we can make it that much harder for them.

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 03:57 PM
Average attendance at Etihad. Carlton 34,000. Bulldogs 31,000. Do they really draw that many more people that we get booted? The AFL makes me sick with this decision.

How to we rate on TV in PT compared to the cheats?

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 03:59 PM
We have to start generating bigger attendances ourselves so that it removes the temptation for the AFL to takes prime time slots from us. If we can jump up on the ladder for a few seasons with good results we can make it that much harder for them.

Cartlon just f%$^& up every season and be a basket case for a couple of decades and get rewarded. We need to keep proving ourselves? Seriously. It takes time to build momentum for a game. The AFL kept switching the teams and then we had the COVID interruption. We are also playing a Norf which has been terrible in the last few years. This is a disgraceful decision on so many levels.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 04:01 PM
Most watched teams last year.

#1 Melb 16.91m (769k ave)
#2 Coll 16.188m (736k)
#3 WB 16.032m (729k)
#4 Carl 14.951m (680k)
#5 Rich 14.346m (652k)

24 AFL games in the H&A season reached over a million viewers,

#1 Dees/Dogs R1 1.436m
#2 Dons/Pies R6 1.415m
#3 Dees/Pies R21 1.231m
#4 Pies/Dees R13 1.221m
#5 Dogs/Cats R12 1.216m
#6 Swans/Cats R2 1.203m
#7 BluesPies R23 1.165m

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 04:07 PM

It's why our implosion after 2016 really hurts. That was a chance we threw away to really say we're one of the big boys of the league. Instead we crashed and burned.

I really have no insider knowledge, from the outside looking and reading the tea leaves we don't seem to play the political side of this industry very well either. Carlton have lips firmly placed in brown spots everywhere.

jeemak
06-12-2022, 04:16 PM
Most watched teams last year.

#1 Melb 16.91m (769k ave)
#2 Coll 16.188m (736k)
#3 WB 16.032m (729k)
#4 Carl 14.951m (680k)
#5 Rich 14.346m (652k)

24 AFL games in the H&A season reached over a million viewers,

#1 Dees/Dogs R1 1.436m
#2 Dons/Pies R6 1.415m
#3 Dees/Pies R21 1.231m
#4 Pies/Dees R13 1.221m
#5 Dogs/Cats R12 1.216m
#6 Swans/Cats R2 1.203m
#7 BluesPies R23 1.165m

Can't argue with that evidence, bring on the Blues! Yay!!!

Some of this pressure would be coming from the stadium/ vendors who have to pay public holiday rates and need to maximise returns to offset the additional costs.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 04:16 PM
It's why our implosion after 2016 really hurts. That was a chance we threw away to really say we're one of the big boys of the league. Instead we crashed and burned.

I really have no insider knowledge, from the outside looking and reading the tea leaves we don't seem to play the political side of this industry very well either. Carlton have lips firmly placed in brown spots everywhere.

Had we finished a bit higher this year or better still we had won the flag in 2021 the AFL would be hard pressed to squeeze us out of anything. We are close to being a really strong club but our performances on field will dictate a lot of the attitude of where and who we play.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-12-2022, 04:37 PM
The first game will be telling being our talls v Melbourne's talls.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 04:55 PM
The first game will be telling being our talls v Melbourne's talls.

We should be able to match-up with them okay but how we set-up to curb the influence of May and Lever will be critical and if we choose to try and limit Oliver and Petracca.
We really need Naughton to light them up with a 5 goal haul.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-12-2022, 05:03 PM
It's another reason why I lose more interest in the AFL every year.

If it wasn't for the Bulldogs, I simply wouldn't follow the game anymore. It's a garbage product that finds ways to get worse. Lord help the game when we introduce ANOTHER 2 teams into a talent pool that is already morbidly stretched.

It isn't an understatement to say that many of us despise the AFL.

Now is Football Australia's time to capitalise.

Grantysghost
06-12-2022, 06:00 PM
AFL fixture news: Carlton to replace Western Bulldogs in Good Friday match
The AFL will thrust one of the biggest clubs in the league into the Good Friday limelight in a bid to add some extra spice to the annual public holiday game.

The AFL will thrust Carlton into the Good Friday limelight next season in a bid to add some extra spice to the annual public holiday game at Marvel Stadium.

News Corp can reveal the Western Bulldogs have been dumped from the public holiday slot after routing the Kangaroos in their 2021-22 Good Friday battles.

While those two games have drawn crowds of 28,483 and 32,162, there are high hopes a Carlton versus North Melbourne game in Round 4 will draw a bigger crowd in 2023.

The Blues are hopeful of crashing into the top-four next season, helping break a decade-long finals drought after narrowly missing the eight following after a heartbreaking Round 23 loss to Collingwood.

The game on Friday, April 7, will also see the McKay twins, Harry (Carlton) and Ben (North Melbourne) lock horns and play each other under the roof.

Western Bulldogs wanted to retain the Good Friday game but have been replaced by Michael Voss’s men.

There will be huge broadcast interest in Carlton next year which should see the Blues given more prime time action including the prized Friday nights berths in 2023.

North Melbourne has worked hard to promote the Good Friday game but are determined to perform better in the marquee clash after 128 and 68-point defeats to the Bulldogs.

Alastair Clarkson has taken charge of the Kangaroos after a year off from coaching and is determined to clear his name amid the investigation into Hawthorn First Nations’ players between 2008-2016.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FLUCK! So are we the only team sans blockbuster now? This is pretty insulting on many levels....

Grantysghost
06-12-2022, 06:02 PM

We played in the GF* in 21, I'm not sure it would've made any difference to be frank.

I'm at an event dinner tomorrow night (not telling Jeemak what it's for) might have to ask this question to someone important.

GVGjr
06-12-2022, 06:09 PM
It's another reason why I lose more interest in the AFL every year.

If it wasn't for the Bulldogs, I simply wouldn't follow the game anymore. It's a garbage product that finds ways to get worse. Lord help the game when we introduce ANOTHER 2 teams into a talent pool that is already morbidly stretched.

It isn't an understatement to say that many of us despise the AFL.

Now is Football Australia's time to capitalise.

It's intriguing that North have asked the AFL to put the onus on the away members to make this game a success for them.
I must admit it's never really been marketed correctly to get supporters for all clubs coming along on what could be a quiet day for so many people.

You have to wonder if this is Josh Bruce related :)

Grantysghost
06-12-2022, 06:12 PM
It's intriguing that North have asked the AFL to put the onus on the away members to make this game a success for them.
I must admit it's never really been marketed correctly to get supporters for all clubs coming along on what could be a quiet day for so many people.

It's a no effort crowd when you get the Blues involved.

They are just taking the path of least effort.

Must be very frustrating for those in power at the Dogs.

North have been a complete basket case when we played in this game. They're just starting to turn the corner off field and we get dumped.....Mind boggling.

bornadog
06-12-2022, 06:34 PM
I'm so angry. Ropable.

We have also had the COVID interruptions. Not time to build momentum for the game.

AFL are just a joke. How can two clubs build the support if you don't let them.

No other so called blockbuster is changed every year like Anzac day, opening round, Queens birthday etc

We may as well have Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond play each other every week and the rest can get stuffed - hey AFL

jazzadogs
06-12-2022, 06:44 PM

What are Hawthorns prime time/blockbuster numbers? They won three in a row and still in didn't get any new blockbuster slots, and I would think similar amounts of prime time games to what we have had over the last few years.

The AFL doesn't care about success, just $$$. They have a historical bias towards a few Melbourne clubs and I can't see it changing, regardless of what the data (e.g. tv ratings) says.

Happy Days
06-12-2022, 07:39 PM
I wanna be mad about this but don’t really care to be honest. Playing against a truly horrible North Melbourne in “prime time” when everyone is away for the weekend anyway in a usually pretty awful game isn’t the brand building capstone it’s assumed to be.

Sedat
06-12-2022, 08:08 PM
WHAT THE ACTUAL FLUCK! So are we the only team sans blockbuster now? This is pretty insulting on many levels....
Fear not, I'm sure our president will pull out all the stops to highlight this issue with fervent intent, and will not stop fighting on behalf of the club.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 08:08 PM
I wanna be mad about this but don’t really care to be honest. Playing against a truly horrible North Melbourne in “prime time” when everyone is away for the weekend anyway in a usually pretty awful game isn’t the brand building capstone it’s assumed to be.

I actually fully agree with this. It' actually a s%$# marquee game anyway. Easter Weekend. Probably the busiest time of the year to be away on holidays. Half of the state are not in front of a TV most likely.

However, it is the message the AFL is sending. Bulldogs, you can't even have the worst of the marquee games. Go away. We are giving it to Carlton.

angelopetraglia
06-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Fear not, I'm sure our president will pull out all the stops to highlight this issue with fervent intent, and will not stop fighting on behalf of the club.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Mo77
06-12-2022, 08:53 PM
What are Hawthorns prime time/blockbuster numbers? They won three in a row and still in didn't get any new blockbuster slots, and I would think similar amounts of prime time games to what we have had over the last few years.

The AFL doesn't care about success, just $$$. They have a historical bias towards a few Melbourne clubs and I can't see it changing, regardless of what the data (e.g. tv ratings) says.

That's a fair argument but they were featured heavily in PT when they were successful and did boost their membership (pet) figures dramatically. I think a bit of sustained success would have really built something for us but it was not to be.

EasternWest
06-12-2022, 11:16 PM

Bingo.

You know if I didn't know better I might mistake this for sarcasm.

Grantysghost
06-12-2022, 11:46 PM

For me it's not the game itself, we all recognise it's not the biggest of the confected games (maybe a bit bigger than the farmers game) ; it's the rationale behind it or complete lack thereof.
How much work do we need to do to get some recognition and validation it must be infuriating for the executive.
Reeks of conservative boys club strategy and an unwillingness to ever recognise our club as being equal with the old firm.
It goes way beyond a Good Friday game.

Bulldog4life
07-12-2022, 12:06 AM
Based on history bloody North should be given the boot

1eyedog
07-12-2022, 10:47 AM
Had we finished a bit higher this year or better still we had won the flag in 2021 the AFL would be hard pressed to squeeze us out of anything. We are close to being a really strong club but our performances on field will dictate a lot of the attitude of where and who we play.

We're flaky as but exciting and the AFL is not sure what to do with us.

Looking forward to playing Melbourne at the G it's what we want and what we need. The best opposition at the most important stadium .

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2022, 12:58 PM
Based on history bloody North should be given the boot

Yes let's give North the boot!

The Bulldogs Bite
07-12-2022, 01:13 PM
AFEL to announce the full fixture on Sunday, 25 December.

chef
07-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Im kind of meh about Good Friday, was usually a terrible game and it steals a day off your long weekend. Hope we play interstate.

Can't wait for Carlton to be the home team next season and then they'll probs play Essendon on it the following year while the AEFL try to convince us thats its tradition.

mjp
07-12-2022, 01:50 PM
I'm sorta like Happy Days...I wanna be mad but I actually don't care.

You can't invent occasions and rivalries...sorry, but I just can't get 'UP' for a game vs North rn - which doesn't mean I don't think they had a lot more talent than they showed and I am expecting a pretty solid bounce from them this year.

In 1998 I wanted to play North. Now I want to play Geelong or Melbourne. Or Richmond. Not sure Geelong or Richmond need 'another' block-buster and last time we played Melbourne the crowd was absolutely terrible (but we won - thanks Jamarra - so I didn't care)....

Do I think our prez should be speaking up? Of course she should be...but ultimately I could care less if the GF game is ours!

Jeanette54
07-12-2022, 02:32 PM
Do I think our prez should be speaking up? Of course she should be...but ultimately I could care less if the GF game is ours!

No doubt I am not the only one to notice, but our Prez seems to be conspicuous by her absence in all things relating to club vs AFL issues. Peter Gordon and Smorgo had much higher public profiles and were not short of media words when it came to promoting the club. Maybe Kylie operates like a swan. All peaceful and serene up top but paddling like hell underneath.

bornadog
07-12-2022, 02:38 PM
I'm sorta like Happy Days...I wanna be mad but I actually don't care.

You can't invent occasions and rivalries...sorry, but I just can't get 'UP' for a game vs North rn - which doesn't mean I don't think they had a lot more talent than they showed and I am expecting a pretty solid bounce from them this year.

In 1998 I wanted to play North. Now I want to play Geelong or Melbourne. Or Richmond. Not sure Geelong or Richmond need 'another' block-buster and last time we played Melbourne the crowd was absolutely terrible (but we won - thanks Jamarra - so I didn't care)....

I don't like games on Good Friday, or over Easter for that matter, but what pisses me off is the AFL. If you want to create a marque game then keep the same two teams so they can build on it, and that should be two of North, Bulldogs or Saints. Bringing a team that already has other marque games is what pisses off supporters.

Sedat
07-12-2022, 02:43 PM
No doubt I am not the only one to notice, but our Prez seems to be conspicuous by her absence in all things relating to club vs AFL issues. Peter Gordon and Smorgo had much higher public profiles and were not short of media words when it came to promoting the club. Maybe Kylie operates like a swan. All peaceful and serene up top but paddling like hell underneath.
PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent (far from it - navigating the volatile corporate environments like Disney for over 25 years requires great skill, diplomacy and acumen), but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.

bornadog
07-12-2022, 02:52 PM
PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent, but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.

Strictly speaking PG is not a self made entrepreneur. He joined Slater and Gordon a firm that commenced in 1920s and mid size (also Peter is not related to the Gordon) back in early 80s - my wife worked in the same firm for a partner and with Peter. Yes he built his practise up and took on some big cases like Asbestos class action as well as some other high profile cases. The firm almost went broke until my wife's boss rescued them.

Due to the type of cases they took on, which Peter lead, S&G grew and grew to become a publicly listed law firm.

I agree he was entrepreneurial in the cases he took on and introduced a no win no fee concept which also helped Slaters.

hujsh
07-12-2022, 03:30 PM
PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent (far from it - navigating the volatile corporate environments like Disney for over 25 years requires great skill, diplomacy and acumen), but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.

Strictly speaking PG is not a self made entrepreneur. He joined Slater and Gordon a firm that commenced in 1920s and mid size (also Peter is not related to the Gordon) back in early 80s - my wife worked in the same firm for a partner and with Peter. Yes he built his practise up and took on some big cases like Asbestos class action as well as some other high profile cases. The firm almost went broke until my wife's boss rescued them.

Due to the type of cases they took on, which Peter lead, S&G grew and grew to become a publicly listed law firm.

I agree he was entrepreneurial in the cases he took on and introduced a no win no fee concept which also helped Slaters.

David was also from a VERY wealthy family and started out high up in the family business as far as I can tell. Far from self made (though the 'self made man' is a myth anyway)

SonofScray
07-12-2022, 03:57 PM
I’m hating the narrative this has generated around us.

Pundits emphasising our status as a small club, low drawing, lots of “losing” language and being put in our place.

There’s a different story to tell if people choose and we force the issue through our leadership and performance, rather than just let the prep-prepared stereotypical stories that media have ready to go in their draw drawer, just changing the date, about us.

Missing that unabashed, self depreciating, but ultimately unapologetic and aspirational couple of years from PG’s return through to the flag.

azabob
07-12-2022, 08:09 PM

I’d much prefer the other GF game to be ours year in, year out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-12-2022, 12:15 AM
There's a part of me that wants to get angry that we lose access to a so-called marquee event. Less about the actual game loss, than it really does make it clear that we're not really a preferred successful club for the AFL. We're a bit inconvenient, and conditionally relevant.

The other part of me says, well we kind deserve it. We've under-performed to expectations, and we've done it in a really frustrating manner at time as well.
I really hope little slights such as this sting our group, just a little.

Bullies
08-12-2022, 09:38 AM
Don't forget the AFL Execs are on massive bonuses in maximising crowds. If they achieve their KPI's they get big $$$ which is why first thing they do when doing the draw is ensuring Pies Vs Bombers/Pies Vs Blues/Tigers vs Blues etc are pencilled in twice and then they start working on the other games. The bigger the attendances the more coin in their own pockets.

Part of the reason no doubt we are not playing GF.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 09:39 AM
There's a part of me that wants to get angry that we lose access to a so-called marquee event. Less about the actual game loss, than it really does make it clear that we're not really a preferred successful club for the AFL. We're a bit inconvenient, and conditionally relevant.

The other part of me says, well we kind deserve it. We've under-performed to expectations, and we've done it in a really frustrating manner at time as well.
I really hope little slights such as this sting our group, just a little.

Although, North are still part of Good Friday

Bulldog4life
08-12-2022, 11:16 AM
Although, North are still part of Good Friday

Yep North has been the team who have been rubbish. Not us.

bornadog
08-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Round 3 v Brisbane and back to Darwin after 10 years

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjZ2IF_acAEoc7p?format=jpg&name=medium

Happy Days
08-12-2022, 11:56 AM
Probably means a r12 bye too

hujsh
08-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Thought we were done with Darwin now that we're in Ballarat? What do we get for helping out Port?

bornadog
08-12-2022, 12:17 PM
Thought we were done with Darwin now that we're in Ballarat? What do we get for helping out Port?

Gold Coast ?

Axe Man
08-12-2022, 12:25 PM

Gold Coast home game that they aren't playing at their home ground or even state, feels like a good result for us, basically a neutral venue.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2022, 09:03 AM
We got Port in the SA round. Saturday night.

Does the AFEL claim this as a ‘blockbuster’ game for us getting an SA team in the SA round…

GVGjr
09-12-2022, 09:12 AM
We got Port in the SA round. Saturday night.

Does the AFEL claim this as a ‘blockbuster’ game for us getting an SA team in the SA round…

I wouldn't have thought so. The Adelaide oval is possibly the best surface in the AFL but I think I heard it's got 6 games the over that weekend. That might test it

Happy Days
09-12-2022, 09:18 AM
How are the Adelaide teams not playing each other there?

chef
09-12-2022, 09:45 AM
So no magic round for us, just another away game. That's *!*!*!*!ed.

Axe Man
09-12-2022, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't have thought so. The Adelaide oval is possibly the best surface in the AFL but I think I heard it's got 6 games the over that weekend. That might test it

I think it will be ok. Only has 1 game per week for the rest of the season, compare that to the MCG or Marvel. Not likely to be overly wet in April either.

I wonder how it will work with tickets? I know they are free for club members but there will have to be some sort of booking system surely? Do the Melbourne and Essendon supporters get to stay, or do they get kicked out? How do they ensure access for bulldogs supporters at a game that would have been fairly full anyway? Interesting to see how they pull this off.

Axe Man
09-12-2022, 10:29 AM
How are the Adelaide teams not playing each other there?

They were never going to do that, they want to maximise attendances I assume. A showdown would have the opposite effect with 1 sold out game vs 2 at likely near capacity.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-12-2022, 10:42 AM
When are they announcing the full fixture? Christmas morning?

soupman
09-12-2022, 10:54 AM
Geez Freo got shafted in "gather round".

Play Gold Coast, so Freo supporters are the only ones interested, yet the game is scheduled for 4.40 SA time (3.10 Perth time) on a Friday.

What kind of bullshit is that?

You'd be better off scheduling it after the Friday night game at like 10pm so at least it's at 8.30pm in the state that cares.

soupman
09-12-2022, 10:56 AM

Doesn't really matter for us. We are the 4th game over 3 days which is similiar wear and tear to what the MCG cops, the Sunday games though are back to back there so the last game then is gonna be the one that gets proper screwed.

bornadog
09-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Geez Freo got shafted in "gather round".

Play Gold Coast, so Freo supporters are the only ones interested, yet the game is scheduled for 4.40 SA time (2.10 Perth time) on a Friday.

What kind of bullshit is that?

You'd be better off scheduling it after the Friday night game at like 10pm so at least it's at 7.30pm in the state that cares.

The so called brains trust at AFL don't think like that, ie common sense. They only care about Victorian big clubs.

Bulldog Joe
09-12-2022, 02:50 PM
The so called brains trust at AFL don't think like that, ie common sense. They only care about Victorian big clubs.

Common Sense.
The most overly used oxymoron in the language.

If it is common it will not be sense.

If it is sense it will not be common.

Grantysghost
09-12-2022, 04:30 PM
I think the PA Saturday night slot is a beauty

One of the marquee games in the state on that weekend.

bornadog
09-12-2022, 05:42 PM
I think the PA Saturday night slot is a beauty

One of the marquee games in the state on that weekend.

Agree, will be a full house

Go_Dogs
09-12-2022, 08:41 PM
So our neutral game is the GC game, and the Port game an away game.

Don’t mind it tbh.

bornadog
10-12-2022, 07:16 PM
full fixture here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/871083/2023-fixture-primetime-lion-kings-blockbusters-galore-bye-tweak)

hujsh
10-12-2022, 07:28 PM
Finish the year with games in Tasmania and the Shithole (GMHBA)

Never manage to escape having the play there

bornadog
10-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Apologies for any errors, pulled this off PDF manually

Round One
Saturday, Mar 18
Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EDT
LOCAL

MCG (SEVEN)
7:25pm

Round Two
Saturday, Mar 25
Western Bulldogs vs. St Kilda
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EDT
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (SEVEN)

Round Three
Thursday, Mar 30
Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EDT
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (SEVEN)
7:20pm

Round Four
Saturday, Apr 8
Richmond vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

MCG (FOX)
4:35pm

Round Five
Saturday, Apr 15
Port Adelaide vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Adelaide Oval (SEVEN)
7:50pm

Round Six
Friday, Apr 21
Fremantle vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Optus Stadium (SEVEN)
8:10pm
6:10pm

Round Seven
Saturday, Apr 29
Western Bulldogs vs. Hawthorn
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (FOX)

Round Eight
Saturday, May 6
GWS GIANTS vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Manuka Oval (SEVEN)

Round Nine
Saturday, May 13
Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (FOX)
7:30pm
7:30pm

Round Ten
Saturday, May 20
Western Bulldogs vs. Adelaide Crows
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Mars Stadium (FOX)
2:10pm
2:10pm

Round Eleven
Saturday, May 27
Gold Coast SUNS vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

TIO Stadium (SEVEN)
6:55pm

Round Twelve
Saturday, Jun 3
Western Bulldogs vs. Geelong Cats
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (SEVEN)

Round Thirteen
Friday, Jun 9
Western Bulldogs vs. Port Adelaide
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (SEVEN)

Round Fourteen
Saturday, Jun 17
North Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs
STADIUM (NETWORK)
EST
LOCAL

Marvel Stadium (FOX)
4:40pm
4:40pm

Round Fifteen
BYE

Round Sixteen
Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle
Marvel Stadium

Round Seventeen
Western Bulldogs vs. Collingwood
Marvel Stadium

Round Eighteen
Sydney Swans vs. Western Bulldogs
SCG

Round Nineteen
Essendon vs. Western Bulldogs
Marvel Stadium

Round Twenty
Western Bulldogs vs. GWS GIANTS
Mars Stadium

Round Twenty-One
Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond
Marvel Stadium

Round Twenty-Two
Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs
University of Tasmania Stadium

Round Twenty-Three
Western Bulldogs vs. West Coast Eagles
Marvel Stadium

Round Twenty-Four
Geelong Cats vs. Western Bulldogs
GMHBA Stadium

bornadog
10-12-2022, 07:50 PM
One Thursday game, one Friday in Perth and the rest Saturday at this stage. Round 16 onwards TBA

Grantysghost
10-12-2022, 08:06 PM
8 games in a row at Marvel Rd 13-21

azabob
10-12-2022, 08:10 PM
Tough start to the year. At first glance 13-14 wins after a very poor start.

Grantysghost
10-12-2022, 08:27 PM
Tough start to the year. At first glance 13-14 wins after a very poor start.

Cant see us losing a game to be honest Aza.

The Underdog
10-12-2022, 09:10 PM
What’s the obsession with sending us to Launceston in August? And round 24 at Geelong. Not ideal

The Underdog
10-12-2022, 09:11 PM

18 is at the SCG and 20 is in Ballarat (which should be exceptionally cold)

bulldogsthru&thru
11-12-2022, 12:31 AM
So now that there's an extra round, how has it been determined who plays who twice? Or have the AFEL just scrapped the prior logic? We've got the premiers twice (every f****** year we go down to that ****hole!), freo and tigers twice and then port, giants and hawks who finished out of the 8. Giants and hawks should be locks for at least 4 wins!

Eastdog
11-12-2022, 01:11 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1257115/bulldogs-2023-afl-fixture-revealed

Bulldogs’ 2023 AFL fixture revealed
The Western Bulldogs will enter prime-time again in 2023.

The Western Bulldogs will enter prime-time again in 2023, with 10 of the first 14 games scheduled in blockbuster time slots across the country.

The AFL released its 2023 fixture on Sunday morning, providing full details of the first 15 rounds, with only opponents and venues released for rounds 16-24.

The Bulldogs open their campaign with four-straight games in Victoria, including two home fixtures at Marvel Stadium against St Kilda and Brisbane.

SYNC FIXTURE TO CALENDAR: Add the Bulldogs' 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season fixture to your mobile or desktop calendar.

As revealed earlier in the week, the Demons and Dogs will face off on Saturday night during Round 1, while Port Adelaide await in Gather Round at Adelaide Oval on April 15.

A second interstate trip follows in Round 6 against Fremantle on Anzac Day weekend, before the Dogs head to Canberra two weekends later for a battle with GWS at Manuka Oval.

The Dogs will play 12 Marvel Stadium games in total, including three away games at the venue against Carlton (Rd 9), North Melbourne (Rd 14) and Essendon (Rd 19).

Nine of the 14 games currently fixtured will be live and free on Channel 7, giving members and fans the perfect platform to take in the red, white and blue.

The Bulldogs are set for six interstate trips in total during the 2023 season, visiting Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Darwin, Sydney and Tasmania.

Ballarat will again feature as the Club’s second home, with Mars Stadium hosting two fixtures in Round 10 and 20.

The Bulldogs return to Darwin for the first time in a decade during Sir Doug Nicholls Round, playing Gold Coast at TIO Stadium.

Players will take a break via the bye round scheduled for Round 15 over the weekend of June 24-25.

The Bulldogs will twice play Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS and Port Adelaide.

Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains said there was plenty to be excited about heading into the 2023 campaign.

“We’re really looking forward to connecting with our Victorian-based members early on in the season, playing our first four games in Melbourne,” Bains said.

“The Club’s fixture has a nice balance of football and commercial outcomes, with nine games on free-to-air in the known rounds, with seven of those on Saturday nights.

“The Club is very disappointed that we won’t feature in the Good Friday game in 2023, a fixture our entire Club has taken great pride in bringing to life, particularly through the strong relationships we’ve built with the Royal Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald House.

“Good Friday is a game we request to take part in every season, and we will continue to push for our involvement into the future. We think it’s fair and reasonable that each year our fans get to experience a consistent annual blockbuster clash, like many other Clubs fans do.

“Two strong home games in Ballarat is great for the region and we look forward to further strengthening our ties with the local community and building upon our year-long presence in Ballarat and the western Victorian corridor.

“It’s an exciting time to be a Bulldogs fan, and hopefully this positive fixture encourages our red, white and blue family to jump on board as members for the 2023 season as we push to break our membership record for another year.”

G-Mo77
11-12-2022, 09:06 AM
Personally this fixture sucks for me. Thursday night, can't go, working next day. Friday night is basketball night can't go and so many Saturday night games and they're just painful, my son hardly gets any sleep and then have to put up with him Sunday. That Sat and Sunday 4.30 games are looking like the only ones I'll attend at this stage but I'll try and sneak in a Sat night contest.

For the club it looks OK. 3 Friday night games and 6 Saturday nights will be good for us. Hopefully we can perform better when we're on FTA prime time next year, this year we seemed to play like crap most times we featured.

Grantysghost
11-12-2022, 03:39 PM
According to fox we have the second hardest draw.Im not sure of their criteria which is based on the percentage of the teams we play twice.

https://i.postimg.cc/D007LsD8/Screenshot-20221211-144008.png (https://postimg.cc/30MMHy3T)

bornadog
11-12-2022, 04:38 PM
This is brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVAFShS6BkY

comrade
11-12-2022, 05:05 PM
Geelong must absolutely beg to play us twice each year.

Mantis
11-12-2022, 05:18 PM
I *!*!*!*!ing hate this fixture!

My 7yo son is already talking about the footy in 2023 and how keen he is to go to more games... we have 2 games in the first 14 starting before 7pm and they're both at 4.30ish.

The AFL can GAGF!

Bulldog4life
11-12-2022, 05:53 PM
I *!*!*!*!ing hate this fixture!

My 7yo son is already talking about the footy in 2023 and how keen he is to go to more games... we have 2 games in the first 14 starting before 7pm and they're both at 4.30ish.

The AFL can GAGF!

Can understand how you feel mate. As a lad I was going to the footy with my dad and all games were on Saturday starting at 2.10 or close to it. So much harder for the dads and kids these days.

Eastdog
12-12-2022, 12:52 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1257117/2023-afl-fixture-the-breakdown

2023 AFL fixture: The Breakdown

Here are all the fast facts you need to help you digest the 2023 AFL fixture.

Features of the first 15 rounds:
- Nine of the first 14 games in primetime slots (Thursday, Friday or Saturday night)
- Our first 4 round matches all to be played in Melbourne
- A game in Ballarat (Round 10)

Teams we play twice
Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS and Port Adelaide.

Interstate games
Round 5 at Adelaide Oval vs Port Adelaide
Round 6 at Optus Stadium vs Fremantle
Round 8 at Manuka Oval vs GWS
Round 11 at TIO Stadium vs Gold Coast
Round 18 at the SCG vs Sydney
Round 22 at University of Tasmania Stadium vs Hawthorn

Where we play
Marvel Stadium (12)
Mars Stadium (2)
MCG (2)
Adelaide Oval (1)
Optus Stadium (1)
SCG (1)
UTAS (1)
TIO Stadium (1)
GMHBA Stadium (1)
Manuka Oval (1)

Home games at Marvel Stadium against Victorian teams
Round 2 vs St Kilda
Round 7 vs Hawthorn
Round 12 vs Geelong
Round 17 vs Collingwood
Round 21 vs Richmond

Away games at Marvel Stadium
Round 9 vs Carlton
Round 14 vs North Melbourne
Round 19 vs Essendon

Ballarat games
Round 10 vs Adelaide
Round 20 vs GWS Giants

MCG games (both away)
Round 1 vs Melbourne
Round 4 vs Richmond

Eastdog
12-12-2022, 01:02 AM
Can understand how you feel mate. As a lad I was going to the footy with my dad and all games were on Saturday starting at 2.10 or close to it. So much harder for the dads and kids these days.

Personally I’m a big fan of the afternoon time slots. 2:10pm Saturday my preferred. We never seem to play much at all Saturday afternoon except for the Ballarat game.

Axe Man
12-12-2022, 10:57 AM
Only state or territory we miss playing in is Queensland. Add in Geelong and Ballarat and we will certainly be well travelled.

GVGjr
12-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Tough draw which will require a fast start. We need to be primed early on in the season.

G-Mo77
12-12-2022, 11:14 AM

It's a sad state of affairs when that 4.30 pm time slot is the most attractive. My son will have to settle for those games by the looks of it. Bring on more twilight games

Axe Man
12-12-2022, 11:42 AM
One of the games I would normally take the kids to was Good Friday which has been taken away. Sunday afternoons are another option but we don't have any of those at this stage other than an awful 4:40pm graveyard shift against North. Certainly limited options, but I do enjoy going without them to the night time games. Once they get a bit older it should be easier.

Bulldog Joe
12-12-2022, 11:50 AM
Tough draw which will require a fast start. We need to be primed early on in the season.

This is very important.

A good start really sets up the season.
Win 3 or 4 of the first 5 and we are challenging top 4, but 2 or less and we will be struggling to stay in touch.

My aim with the extended season would be to win at least 12 of the first 15 and all of the last 11.

Axe Man
12-12-2022, 12:03 PM
This is very important.

A good start really sets up the season.
Win 3 or 4 of the first 5 and we are challenging top 4, but 2 or less and we will be struggling to stay in touch.

My aim with the extended season would be to win at least 12 of the first 15 and all of the last 11.

I would be happy enough to go 3-3 from the first 6, anything north of that is a bonus. If we start slowly and only have 1 or 2 wins on the board at that stage we might be playing catchup all season.

bornadog
12-12-2022, 12:25 PM
Only state or territory we miss playing in is Queensland. Add in Geelong and Ballarat and we will certainly be well travelled.

This is where the AFL is biased. for example - When did Collingwood last play in Geelong, ACT, Cairns, Darwin, Ballarat.

Grantysghost
12-12-2022, 12:27 PM
Which teams have the toughest draws?

Sydney’s push to go one better in 2023 will have to be done the hard way, with double-up matches against premiers Geelong and semi-finalists Melbourne and Fremantle.
Meanwhile, Collingwood will be tested next year after their string of narrow wins en route to a preliminary final in 2022. The Magpies play the Cats, Lions and Blues twice, while Port Adelaide and Essendon also appear as unknown quantities.
But perhaps the most difficult fixture is the Western Bulldogs’, considering they only just scraped into the top eight this year. The Dogs must play the Cats, Tigers, Dockers and Power twice, sides they went 0-6 against in 2022, including in the elimination final against Fremantle. (https://www.theage.com.au/link/follow-20170101-p5bf8h)

It appears a much tougher fixture than that of ninth-placed Carlton, with the Blues to meet the Pies, Suns, Saints, Giants, Eagles and Demons twice. Last season the Blues finished with a better percentage than five of those sides, and only narrowly lost to the Demons in round 22 in the teams’ only encounter.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.378%2C$multiply_0.7725%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/2551bd4026c28e8db905a74d9b7ac4a4f92762d5
The Magpies had a magical run towards the preliminary finals in 2022, but next season appears tougher on paper.Credit:Getty Images
The Saints meet Hawthorn and North Melbourne twice, which could prove fruitful, and double-up games against the Suns, Tigers, Lions and Blues means they will avoid facing any teams who finished in the top five of this year’s ladder twice.
Meanwhile, Essendon face the Giants, Roos and Eagles twice next season, but that won’t guarantee them six wins, given they lost to two of those sides in 2022.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/win-for-fans-and-tough-road-for-some-what-to-look-out-for-in-the-afl-fixture-20221211-p5c5dn.html

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2022, 12:30 PM
Glad we play Geelong twice, the more we play them the closer to beating them we are.
That cattery loss after the siren needs rectifying.

Grantysghost
12-12-2022, 12:32 PM
Glad we play Geelong twice, the more we play them the closer to beating them we are.
That cattery loss after the siren needs rectifying.

Exactly -run to the roar! If we are good enough, the fixture doesn't matter; in fact, it sucks for the other teams.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2022, 12:35 PM
Our power base, we'll not lose one and power to the top.

GVGjr
12-12-2022, 02:06 PM
This is where the AFL is biased. for example - When did Collingwood last play in Geelong, ACT, Cairns, Darwin, Ballarat.

We don't need to worry about other clubs. Collingwood made their own luck last season by winning so many close games and we have to make sure we get on a similar roll.

bornadog
12-12-2022, 02:18 PM
We don't need to worry about other clubs. Collingwood made their own luck last season by winning so many close games and we have to make sure we get on a similar roll.

I am giving you an example of what the AFL bias is like. An even playing field doesnot exist and it is designed to make the bigger clubs bigger.

Grantysghost
12-12-2022, 02:26 PM
I am giving you an example of what the AFL bias is like. An even playing field doesnot exist and it is designed to make the bigger clubs bigger.

It's lazy admin; sure fire winner.

They've ticked the Dogs win a flag box.

hujsh
12-12-2022, 02:54 PM
At this stage it's a BS draw but maybe lady luck will help us out for once and some of those top 8 teams have an off year.

GVGjr
12-12-2022, 03:19 PM

We know it's uneven and unless we get to 19 teams and 18 games it's just going to be the way that it is. We need the money that the extra games generate so we have to cop a harder draw some years.

The bulldog tragician
12-12-2022, 03:36 PM

And mums too of course!

It really isn’t a great draw. You can immediately cross off the match at Taxpayer Funded Stadium as one to attend and on recent form as one to look forward to with any optimism. I hope we start the season strongly - last years sluggish start set the trend for an ordinary year.

Grantysghost
12-12-2022, 04:33 PM
At this stage it's a BS draw but maybe lady luck will help us out for once and some of those top 8 teams have an off year.

Pray its the Lions imagine another top ten pick!

hujsh
12-12-2022, 04:37 PM
Pray its the Lions imagine another top ten pick!

Doesn't help us with the fixture but that's another angle for sure (would not complain!)

bornadog
12-12-2022, 05:43 PM
We know it's uneven and unless we get to 19 teams and 18 games it's just going to be the way that it is. We need the money that the extra games generate so we have to cop a harder draw some years.

What I am saying is doesn't have to be like that. If the AFL had the balls they could make it an even playing field now, but they dictated by TV rights and pampering Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon.

Axe Man
12-12-2022, 06:53 PM
Fixture boss Travis Auld said there had been a low key change to how the weighted system would work in 2023.

“The weighted rule remains central to the fixture, however we had to make an adjustment for the 24th round and add a sixth double-up match up for each club,” Auld said.

“You get a minimum of two and maximum of three double-up matches against teams in your bracket of six, and either one or two double-up games in each of the other two groups of six.”

So we got:
2 v top 6 bracket (Geelong and Freo)
2 v middle bracket (Richmond and Port)
2 v bottom bracket (GWS and Hawthorn)

Bulldog4life
13-12-2022, 12:06 AM
And mums too of course!

It really isn’t a great draw. You can immediately cross off the match at Taxpayer Funded Stadium as one to attend and on recent form as one to look forward to with any optimism. I hope we start the season strongly - last years sluggish start set the trend for an ordinary year.

Of course mums too

Bulldog Joe
13-12-2022, 08:47 AM
What I am saying is doesn't have to be like that. If the AFL had the balls they could make it an even playing field now, but they dictated by TV rights and pampering Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon.

While I agree with the pampering to the big 4 that they ensure remain big 4 by the fixturing, when it comes to TV my understanding is that we rate very competitively.

We would have a great chance of growing our supporter base if we had a fair share of the prime fixtures.

F'scary
13-12-2022, 10:24 AM
A bit late to the party but I want to say that we lost the marquee Good Friday game because we didn't play to the script.

Axe Man
13-12-2022, 11:03 AM
At least we have voiced our displeasure.

Dogs ‘very disappointed’ after Good Friday dumping from 2023 fixture (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-2022-western-bulldogs-taken-off-good-friday-reactions-response-ceo-ameet-bains-full-fixture-details-carlton-v-north-melbourne-latest/news-story/f41a19c4cbed6e1b1d0d030ee9d732bd)

The Western Bulldogs say they’re “very disappointed” to be the taken off the 2023 Good Friday fixture after the AFL over the weekend released the draw.

It saw the Dogs get replaced by Carlton on Good Friday despite playing North Melbourne on the annual public holiday fixture in the last two years.

The Dogs have blown out North in the last two Good Friday games – that drew crowds of 28,00 and 32,000 respectively – with News Corp reporting the league hopes the rising Blues and rebuilding Roos will create more interest in the game and pull in a bigger attendance.

Dogs CEO Ameet Bains was unimpressed the club wouldn’t feature in the Friday, April 7 contest next season after its commitment to building up the fixture, but remains hopeful it could yet return to the stage in the coming years.

“The club is very disappointed that we won’t feature in the Good Friday game in 2023, a fixture our entire club has taken great pride in bringing to life, particularly through the strong relationships we’ve built with the Royal Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald House,” Bains said.

“Good Friday is a game we request to take part in every season, and we will continue to push for our involvement into the future. We think it’s fair and reasonable that each year our fans get to experience a consistent annual blockbuster clash, like many other clubs fans do.”

The Bulldogs have been handed one of the toughest fixtures in the league – ranked the second-hardest by foxfooty.com.au – including six interstate trips despite not leaving Victoria over the first month of the campaign.

They play Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS and Port Adelaide twice as they look to climb into the top four after underwhelming with an eighth place – and first-round finals exit – last season.

The Dogs also host two games in Ballarat (Adelaide in Round 20 and GWS in Round 20) and 12 Marvel Stadium games in total including three away matches.

It comes after questions were asked of whether North Melbourne deserved to continue playing on Good Friday after being smashed in the last two games.

The arrival of new coach Alastair Clarkson certainly adds more intrigue to the Arden Street-based club though as it looks to bounce back from consecutive wooden spoon finishes.

MrMahatma
13-12-2022, 12:03 PM
It is kind of weird that Nth get flogged and we get dumped?

GVGjr
13-12-2022, 12:21 PM

It's Josh Bruce's fault :)

bulldogsthru&thru
13-12-2022, 02:47 PM

North have been the constant since day 1.
They're always the home team.
They got smashed by us.
AFEL solution: replace away team who smashed them.

A very typical AFEL response.

angelopetraglia
18-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Fixture for rounds 16-23 has dropped. Prime time Dogs. https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1333544

Western Bulldogs: R16-23 fixture

Round 16 v Fremantle
Saturday 1 July, 1.45pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 17 v Collingwood
Friday 7 July, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 18 v Sydney
Thursday 13 July, 7.20pm
SCG

Round 19 v Essendon
Friday 21 July, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (A)

Round 20 v GWS
Saturday 29 July, 1.45pm
Mars Stadium

Round 21 v Richmond
Friday 4 August, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 22 v Hawthorn
Sunday 13 August, 1.10pm

Round 23 v West Coast
Sunday 20 August, 1.10pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 24 v Geelong
Time and date TBC
GMHBA Stadium

hujsh
18-05-2023, 04:24 PM
No Saturday night games is perfect

bornadog
18-05-2023, 04:38 PM
No Saturday night games is perfect

Thursday in Sydney is a bummer. I was hoping to make the trip and also see a show. Maybe I have to take Thursday off.

Axe Man
18-05-2023, 04:41 PM
It's not a bad result - plenty of prime time games with a few family friendly slots thrown in.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Fixture for rounds 16-23 has dropped. Prime time Dogs. https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1333544

Western Bulldogs: R16-23 fixture

Round 16 v Fremantle
Saturday 1 July, 1.45pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 17 v Collingwood
Friday 7 July, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 18 v Sydney
Thursday 13 July, 7.20pm
SCG

Round 19 v Essendon
Friday 21 July, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (A)

Round 20 v GWS
Saturday 29 July, 1.45pm
Mars Stadium

Round 21 v Richmond
Friday 4 August, 7.50pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 22 v Hawthorn
Sunday 13 August, 1.10pm

Round 23 v West Coast
Sunday 20 August, 1.10pm
Marvel Stadium (H)

Round 24 v Geelong
Time and date TBC
Sedat Park

Fixed.

angelopetraglia
18-05-2023, 05:13 PM
We appear to be given an advantage in regards to days between games compared to opposition for Rounds 16-23. A few standout. Playing the Tigers who are off a five day break. Playing GWS who are off a six day break when we have 8.

Analysis.

Round 16. Dogs coming off Bye. Freo 7 days.

Round 17. Dogs 6 days. Pies 6 days. Pies playing on the Gold Coast week prior.

Round 18. Dogs 6 days. Swans 7 days.

Round 19. Dogs 7 days. Bombers 6 days.

Round 20. Dogs 8 days. GWS 6 days.

Round 21. Dogs 6 days. Tigers 5 days.

Round 22. Dogs 9 days. Hawks 8 days.

Round 23. Dogs 7 days. Eagles 8 days.

hujsh
18-05-2023, 05:42 PM
We appear to be given an advantage in regards to days between games compared to opposition for Rounds 16-23. A few standout. Playing the Tigers who are off a five day break. Playing GWS who are off a dix day break when we have 8.

That's a fair advantage

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2023, 05:47 PM
That's a fair advantage

Dix contre huit ! Seigneur !!

angelopetraglia
18-05-2023, 05:49 PM
That's a fair advantage

Ha .....

1eyedog
18-05-2023, 06:18 PM
Fixed.

You forgot to call it bowling lane arse end of the world.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2023, 06:23 PM
You forgot to call it bowling lane arse end of the world.

It's what comes to mind when you see Sedat Park and know his thoughts on said stadium.

FrediKanoute
18-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Will be at the Tigers game......

Eastdog
18-05-2023, 10:48 PM

Having a bit of holiday in Australia Fredi from the UK?

bornadog
18-05-2023, 10:49 PM

Great Freddie - home for a few weeks?

AshMac
19-05-2023, 09:12 AM
Good fixture for us. Farkin hate playing the bombers at their home game at marvel - literally need to reserve seats at 9.01 day they?re on sale

Axe Man
19-05-2023, 10:14 AM

Coincidentally I'll be in the UK at that time.

Axe Man
19-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Good fixture for us. Farkin hate playing the bombers at their home game at marvel - literally need to reserve seats at 9.01 day they?re on sale

Stupid thing is Essendon play Port at the MCG.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2023, 11:37 AM

Yes. Plus special agreement they did in 2000 means that there is no AFL reserved seating either.

mjp
19-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Good fixture for us.LOVE smashing the bombers at OUR home ground (marvel) - in front of all their feral, mean-spirited supporters. CAN NOT WAIT.

I fixed it for you.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2023, 01:04 PM
Happiness = the gap between your expectations and your reality

Imagine going back in time. Let's pick 2002. The Bombers only know Premierships, domination, probably the biggest and most successful AFL club in the land. They would often say they were the Man U of the AFL. What would they believe would be the the chances of not winning a single final in a 20 year stretch. It would be unfathomable. Beyond any reasonable comprehension.

That is why they are so feral and mean spirited. Their football unhappiness is about as low as you can go. Possibly challenged by the Blues.

p.s. final wins from 2005 = Bombers 0, Bulldogs 11 (In this stretch their highest position on the ladder is 7th after H&A)

p.s.s final wins 1983 -2002 = Bombers 21, Bulldogs 4 (In this stretch they finished top of the ladder six times)

p.s.s.s that is the definition of football depression, chocolate to boiled lollies

bornadog
07-08-2023, 01:23 PM
Final game v Geelong will be Saturday night

josie
07-08-2023, 03:54 PM
Final game v Geelong will be Saturday night

Thanks BAD. Is this for sure?

azabob
07-08-2023, 04:02 PM

No speculation at this stage.

bornadog
07-08-2023, 04:21 PM

Yes.

ROUND 24 FIXTURE

Friday, August 25
Essendon v Collingwood, MCG, 7.50pm AEST (Seven)

Saturday, August 26
North Melbourne v Gold Coast, Blundstone Arena, 1.45pm AEST (Fox)
Hawthorn v Fremantle, MCG, 1.45pm AEST (Fox)
Brisbane v St Kilda, Gabba, 4.35pm AEST (Fox)
Geelong v Western Bulldogs, GMHBA Stadium, 7.25pm AEST (Seven)
West Coast v Adelaide, Optus Stadium, 6.10pm AWST (Fox)

Sunday, August 27
Port Adelaide v Richmond, Adelaide Oval, 12pm ACST (Fox)
Sydney v Melbourne, SCG, 3.20pm AEST (Seven)
Carlton v Greater Western Sydney, Marvel Stadium, 6.10pm AEST (Fox)

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 06:28 PM
People complaining we only got to play WCE once. While Essendon got two.

Seems pretty good that only happened to us once this year.