PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R5 2022 Saturday April 15 7:50PM, Adelaide Oval

Pages : 1 [2]

Grantysghost
15-04-2023, 10:31 PM
Question. Does Gardner allow Marshall to take that contested mark that changed the game? No. He doesn’t. Back to the VFL O’Brien.

I thought TOB was ok. That was a good mark in the conditions.

How it got down there is more my concern.

Loved Liam Jones' game.

Eastdog
Hate these types of losses where I know we had the chances to win. They seemed to handle the wet conditions better than we did. A bad error in the end gave them the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
The sobering thing for me is that we're nowhere near contending for a flag. Miles away. But we recruited Jones and Lobb to do exactly that.

The longer we put off the rebuild/refresh/whatever you want to call it, the longer we'll be in no man's land. Good enough to float around the 8, but that's it.

SonofScray
The only surprise for me was that we didn’t crumble earlier and watch them pile on more goals late.

kruder
Painful loss that one our bottom 3-4 continue to hurt us.

Jones and English unbelievable.

Mofra
Question. Does Gardner allow Marshall to take that contested mark that changed the game? No. He doesn’t. Back to the VFL O’Brien.
I'd argue that Bruce doesn't either.
O'Brien is Crozier-lite and shouldn't be on a KPP. He was decent for the first three quarters and had a mare in the last

Grantysghost
15-04-2023, 10:32 PM
The sobering thing for me is that we're nowhere near contending for a flag. Miles away. But we recruited Jones and Lobb to do exactly that.

The longer we put off the rebuild/refresh/whatever you want to call it, the longer we'll be in no man's land. Good enough to float around the 8, but that's it.

Yes. Essendon might be closer *gag*

bulldogsthru&thru
Blaming O'Brien is missing the point. The ball shouldn't have been entering the 50 in the first place.

Libbas horrible blind handball kicked their run off. We had them pinned and were one goal away from winning the match.

This Port outfit was very average. We should not have lost to them. It shows where we're at.

Mofra
If it's any solace, we have two developing tall kids who are their exact replacements in time (Darcy & Buss).

whythelongface
15-04-2023, 10:33 PM

Again there were bigger issues than O’Brien. Shouldn’t have got down there in the first instance. Jones takes a great mark and makes a poor decision to kick on a one-on-one. Ball comes back in and Marshall takes the mark - and this is all O’Brien’s fault.

ledge
15-04-2023, 10:33 PM
it?s our completely stupid, overstacked forward line I despise. Lobb, Naughton and Marra all on the field and we kick it to Hannan and Weightman.

Weightman was brilliant, but he?s still a medium forward flying for marks. We still have no crumber in a forward line designed to bring the ball to ground.

They?re so annoying to watch. Totally unbalanced and just a ridiculous waste of cap space.

We do In Archie Jones but he isn?t getting anywhere near it .
I?m a bit confused with McLean, what?s his role because he didn?t get near it at all when he came on .

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 10:35 PM
They kicked some big goals. Marshall from the boundary. Pepper big snap around his body, Boak a miracle goal form boundary 50m out another on the run from outside 50m. A difficult snap form Byrne-Jones from the pocket.

That was the game. They took those big chances. We missed set shots. Marra. Lobb two. We didn’t kick any big difficult goals.

Happy Days
O’Brien did two really bad things but was pretty very good otherwise. You’ve gotta put it on the mids not having the ability to put it in park.

Port shut the game down with like 9 minutes to go which is a play we don’t have and it’s why we didn’t win.

whythelongface
Blaming O'Brien is missing the point. The ball shouldn't have been entering the 50 in the first place.

Libbas horrible blind handball kicked their run off. We had them pinned and were one goal away from winning the match.

This Port outfit was very average. We should not have lost to them. It shows where we're at.

Good call on O’Brien.
Sure Port aren’t that great a team but they did manage to knock off Sydney in Sydney so they aren’t easy beats either.

Boots
We do In Archie Jones but he isn?t getting anywhere near it .
I?m a bit confused with McLean, what?s his role because he didn?t get near it at all when he came on .

agree - I really like Jones but he’s always a connection player (and often on the end of marks). He rarely sits goal side of packs and is usually invisible at forward 50 stoppages. He’s got something really special and I can’t wait for him to develop, but he’s a bit puzzling.

Happy Days
Why did all 45k of those neutral supporters boo JHF? Pretty weird.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:36 PM

It's frustratingly accurate.

We're so bog average. I don't want to hang around no man's land. I'd rather rebuild NOW.

We need a new engine room ASAP. Macrae is done. Treloar is not what he used to be, neither is Libba. We've really only got Bont and Smith (the latter who can't kick to save himself).

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Jones was amazing tonight. He was incredible. He deserved a win.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2023, 10:37 PM
We've wasted incredible games from Jones, Weightman and Bont. Unfortunately almost everyone else did nothing.

Yep another really disappointing game from a mentality and team belief perspective.
That's never a good place to be in.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 10:37 PM

Agree, we're kind of stuck though as we've gone all in with the Jones and Lobb signings. We're nowhere near good enough for finals and have been overtaken ny a lot already. The last 2 weeks were paper of the cracks unfortunately.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:38 PM
Good call on O’Brien.
Sure Port aren’t that great a team but they did manage to knock off Sydney in Sydney so they aren’t easy beats either.

Haven't seen any of Ports games. I was just referring to tonight. They were ripe for the picking.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 10:39 PM
O’Brien did two really bad things but was pretty very good otherwise. You’ve gotta put it on the mids not having the ability to put it in park.

Port shut the game down with like 9 minutes to go which is a play we don’t have and it’s why we didn’t win.

Two really, really bad things. How many goals did we lose by? Two.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 10:41 PM
Port did beat the Swans last week in Sydney. We should have beat them. I don’t think all is lost.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 10:42 PM

I get what you’re saying here. Bevo continues to rely on these fringe types and when the game is on the line that is where they get exposed. It's not his fault, it's not Hannan's fault or McComb when he's there. These guys are just not good enough and shouldn't be relied upon at this level. That's on the MC, that's on the list managers. They're the ones who need to give us answers.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:44 PM
There's no way we're leaping 4 teams above us to make finals. Especially given our % and our difficult draw and the fact Geelong and Richmond are still below us.

Can't be losing games like tonight and expect to play finals.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-04-2023, 10:47 PM
When the game is on the line, Lobb O’Brien Archie Jones didn’t measure up.
Gardner should have played if fit and Maclean instead of Archie Jones.
Apart from Weightman who was terrific in kicking half our score the forward line didn’t
measure up. Bailey Smith was a big loss in a team that lacks leg speed. Lobb has been very disappointing and over rated

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 10:47 PM
I get what you’re saying here. Bevo continues to rely on these fringe types and when the game is on the line that is where they get exposed. It's not his fault, it's not Hannan's fault or McComb when he's there. These guys are just not good enough and shouldn't be relied upon at this level. That's on the MC, that's on the list managers. They're the ones who need to give us answers.

Sorta, but I thought O’Brien actually was good. This isn’t a “we didn’t lose the Grand Final because we picked Cordy over Gardner” thing, he actually played really well one kick notwithstanding.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2023, 10:48 PM
I thought TOB was ok. That was a good mark in the conditions.

How it got down there is more my concern.

Loved Liam Jones' game.

Yeah I'm no real fan of TOB but overall I thought he'd done quite well. Bont and others made mistakes that lead to goals as well so I'm not going to hang him for an error.
Liam Jones was a real highlight for me. He is having to do so much at the moment down back, I really hope he can get some tall support to help soon. Gardner surely must be a real chance to come in, especially if Bruce's injury is significant.

Mantis
15-04-2023, 10:48 PM
I get what you?re saying here. Bevo continues to rely on these fringe types and when the game is on the line that is where they get exposed. It's not his fault, it's not Hannan's fault or McComb when he's there. These guys are just not good enough and shouldn't be relied upon at this level. That's on the MC, that's on the list managers. They're the ones who need to give us answers.

We made a tactical (assuming Bruce wasn?t injured) decision at 3/4 time to get some more run on the ground which meant O?Brien had to play tall. It didn?t work? and even more so when our fresh player didn?t touch the ****ing ball for the entire quarter and gave away a crucial free and goal.

1eyedog
15-04-2023, 10:49 PM

Who else is there to come in that will make a difference between player 22-25?

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Yeah I'm no real fan of TOB but overall I thought he'd done quite well. Bont and others made mistakes that lead to goals as well so I'm not going to hang him for an error.
Liam Jones was a real highlight for me. He is having to do so much at the moment down back, I really hope he can get some tall support to help soon. Gardner surely must be a real chance to come in, especially if Bruce's injury is significant.

It's great to see Jones playing well and it's a real testament to him to be able to come in and play at this level after being out of the game for a while.

But it's also a bit damning on our defensive stocks that by a large margin our best defender is a 31 year old who's been out of the league for a couple years.

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 10:50 PM
There’s a lot of good to take from this game; Cody back and good, Jones outstanding, English continues to emerge as a top 10 guy, Ed Richards thrashing Charlie Dixon in a one on one, stupid joke bullshit fake game on the road in the wet we won most of, etc. We’re gonna be 4-3, if you’re still here after rounds 1-2 this isn't the point to jump off.

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 10:51 PM
We made a tactical (assuming Bruce wasn?t injured) decision at 3/4 time to get some more run on the ground which meant O?Brien had to play tall. It didn?t work? and even more so when our fresh player didn?t touch the ****ing ball for the entire quarter and gave away a crucial free and goal.

McLean, he of the 47 disposal game and the dry jumper should’ve been at every centre bounce and every single stoppage. Was a chance at a clear leg up we didn’t take.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2023, 10:52 PM

I've always been a fan but at the top level, McLean is done. He can't move.

G-Mo77

Broken ribs apparently, thought it was a tactical move as well. I didn't even realise McLean gave away that free, didn't even realise he was on the ground to be honest.

angelopetraglia
Really missed Bailey Smith’s run tonight. Last week he was almost the difference in that last quarter against Richmond. Another midfield runner is what we needed in that last quarter.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 10:54 PM
Who else is there to come in that will make a difference between player 22-25?

Not sure mate. My point is these guys take up a list spot for X amount of years. We may have much more to choose from if we take the picks and draft which in hindsight would be the better option.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:54 PM

Bruce was injured. McLean needed to come on for Lobb or Marra. Probably Marra only due to Lobb being a better chop out in the ruck.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2023, 10:55 PM
When the game is on the line, Lobb O’Brien Archie Jones didn’t measure up.
Gardner should have played if fit and Maclean instead of Archie Jones.
Apart from Weightman who was terrific in kicking half our score the forward line didn’t
measure up. Bailey Smith was a big loss in a team that lacks leg speed. Lobb has been very disappointing and over rated

The free McLean gave away wasn’t great…. And he didn’t register a disposal. I’m not convinced he’s the answer.

TOB did well until Bruce went off. I think the selection was the right one. We probably should’ve looked to throw Naughton back or do something different.

Overall it’s disappointing to lose. Port deserved the win, but we should’ve won if that makes sense.

Ah well. Onto the next.

bulldogsthru&thru
Not sure mate. My point is these guys take up a list spot for X amount of years. We may have much more to choose from if we take the picks and draft which in hindsight would be the better option.

What an absolute flop Lobb is looking like.

azabob
Bruce was injured. McLean needed to come on for Lobb or Marra. Probably Marra only due to Lobb being a better chop out in the ruck.

Which he wasn’t!

Go_Dogs
15-04-2023, 10:56 PM

This this this

Bruce was injured I believe

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:56 PM
This this this

Bruce was injured I believe

We're really scraping the barrel in a number of roles.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2023, 10:57 PM

He’s always played like this. Not sure what more we were expecting.

He’s got to finish the few chances he gets each week, at the moment he’s not quite converting enough and he’s not covering ground as well as he should either. Hell build but he’s not a game changer for us at this stage.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 10:57 PM

So far, yep. Although I was pretty supportive of this at the time.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 10:58 PM

He’s got to finish the few chances he gets each week, at the moment he’s not quite converting enough and he’s not covering ground as well as he should either. Hell build but he’s not a game changer for us at this stage.

Has he always looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on a footy oval?

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 10:59 PM

He kicks those two goals and we would have done his job. Both gettable. But if he is missing those and then not having an impact around the ground he is a liability.

Eastdog
15-04-2023, 10:59 PM
There?s a lot of good to take from this game; Cody back and good, Jones outstanding, English continues to emerge as a top 10 guy, Ed Richards thrashing Charlie Dixon in a one on one, stupid joke bullshit fake game on the road in the wet we won most of, etc. We?re gonna be 4-3, if you?re still here after rounds 1-2 this isn't the point to jump off.

Disappointed I am with the result but yes I like that take on it HD. Very winnable games the next couple of weeks. We had a few key players missing tonight as well.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 11:00 PM
Aliir only took four marks for the game. It felt like he took 40.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 11:01 PM
So far, yep. Although I was pretty supportive of this at the time.

Yeah i was pretty happy with it. I suppose all tall forwards come to die at thr bulldogs. Imagine having our mids (aside from Bont) kick it to you whilst dealing with 3 other forwards trying to mark the same ball....

jazzadogs
15-04-2023, 11:01 PM
O?Brien did two really bad things but was pretty very good otherwise. You?ve gotta put it on the mids not having the ability to put it in park.

Port shut the game down with like 9 minutes to go which is a play we don?t have and it?s why we didn?t win.

We lost clearances 17-8 in the final quarter. We were 8 points up 10 minutes in.

I strongly agree that our mids (and having Lobb in the ruck for an extended period) lost us the game, not O'Brien.

Go_Dogs
15-04-2023, 11:02 PM
He kicks those two goals and we would have done his job. Both gettable. But if he is missing those and then not having an impact around the ground he is a liability.

Spot on. If he can kick those 2 each week we take that return. He’s going to be a 10-12 tops possession player and maybe have 3 shots on goal and needs to be super effective. I think his ruck contest has been OK.

Eastdog
15-04-2023, 11:06 PM

Certainly felt like it. Would be great a player like Allir Allir in our side.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 11:07 PM
We lost clearances 17-8 in the final quarter. We were 8 points up 10 minutes in.

I strongly agree that our mids (and having Lobb in the ruck for an extended period) lost us the game, not O'Brien.

Yes. That is also a fair assessment. But when we had complete control in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter their backline stood tall and denied us. Ours coughed up goals on the first entries for the quarter. So yes, midfield did switch off, but so did theirs at the start of the quarter.

In the end, they won as they took their chances when they had the momentum when it counted.

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 11:07 PM
Which he wasn?t!

You more of a Zaine Cordy guy?

merantau
15-04-2023, 11:09 PM
Very disappointing. We dominated the first 7 mins of the last for Weightman's goal and then it was same old, same old. They get it down their end and goal.
Why was English off the ground for so long? Bont? Did not see much of him in the last either. It's obvious we are leaving too much to too few and we don't have enough players who can seize the moment and produce that bit of magic when it's needed.
That being said, I am a prisoner of hope - as always.

JanLorMill
15-04-2023, 11:21 PM
He had about 40 spoils on a wet night

JanLorMill
15-04-2023, 11:24 PM
Can’t win games against half decent sides games with 3/4 non contributors and 3/4 others very quiet

jeemak
15-04-2023, 11:28 PM
I am kinda looking forward to seeing how this thread evolves into an argument about whether we gave Schache or Lew Young enough of a fair run.

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 11:31 PM
I am kinda looking forward to seeing how this thread evolves into an argument about whether we gave Schache or Lew Young enough of a fair run.

You know who would’ve killed it in those wet conditions with his booming left and low centre of gravity? Pat Veszpremi.

SonofScray
15-04-2023, 11:38 PM

Now that you mention it…..

Do you think our losses tend to feel as familiar as that conversation does?

jeemak
15-04-2023, 11:41 PM
You know who would’ve killed it in those wet conditions with his booming left and low centre of gravity? Pat Veszpremi.

Mid-season draft is imminent, and I'm convinced if he ramped up his training now he'd be a massive chance to make it.

jeemak
15-04-2023, 11:43 PM
Now that you mention it…..

Do you think our losses tend to feel as familiar as that conversation does?

Outside of mids dropping off, exposure of our defenders, not enough frontal pressure, forwards forced to work in congestion and missed chances I don't really know what you're talking about.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 11:45 PM
Even though we lost clearances in the last, I think the turning point really was when Bruce was subbed out of the game. Jones had his measure while Bruce was on Dixon. Those two goals in the conditions killed the game.

I mentioned in the thread Treloar was very disappointing and even though he had 35 disposals he ended up at 48.6%DE.

macca
15-04-2023, 11:45 PM
Certainly felt like it. Would be great a player like Allir Allir in our side.

Alir has good ability to impact contests and stop marks from being taken. So not sure if that sort of thing is considered a disposal or stat but he does stop our forwards from taking marks , his just a very good player

macca
15-04-2023, 11:49 PM

Our midfield is not kicking into a correct forward setup. Our forwards all head into the same spot and they clash into each other. To get max retuen from Lobb he needs a kick to a lead or a 1-1 contests. Something that is absolutely missing from our team

Also where our fwd cannot mark the ball they should be bringing it down to the crumbers to swop onto for goals. Did not see much evidence of that tongiht

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Bont had 12 clearances tonight. The all time record for the Dogs is 14.

macca
15-04-2023, 11:57 PM
I dont really know why TOB is on our list when he is behind Bruce and Jones for a back half position . Those 2 telling marks Marshall took in the last quarter really makes me question why are we persisting with these almost AFL players. The hawks knew his limations . Tonights game highlights he does not have the body strength to go against 2nd tier tall in Marshall im the comp.

Its just so frustrating to watch.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:01 AM
I dont really know why TOB is on our list when he is behind Bruce and Jones for a back half position . Those 2 telling marks Marshall took in the last quarter really makes me question why are we persisting with these almost AFL players. The hawks knew his limations . Tonights game highlights he does not have the body strength to go against 2nd tier tall in Marshall im the comp.

Yes. Spot on. I was very surprised he was selected today. But I think the reason was that he was meant to the the intercepting option replacing Keath. Bruce and Jones taking the first two talls. The Bruce injury changed everything.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:04 AM
JJ had 28 touches tonight. +400m gained.

He could hardly touch it in those forward roles. It does really highlight how hard it is impact a game of football in those positions and why small forwards who can apply pressure and kick goals are worth their weight in gold.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 12:04 AM

Yes. Spot on. I was very surprised he was selected today. But I think the reason was that he was meant to the the intercepting option replacing Keath. Bruce and Jones taking the first two talls. The Bruce injury changed everything.

TOB is not a KPD and conceded height to Marsh. He had a very good game with 7 marks when he was playing a non KPD role. With Bruce off, we had no choice.

macca
16-04-2023, 12:05 AM
Are any if the 2-3 year listed players ready to take these half back position ? Clearly ?

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:07 AM
TOB is not a KPD and conceded height to Marsh. He had a very good game with 7 marks when he was playing a non KPD role. With Bruce off, we had no choice.

O’Brien is 6’4” with a prodigious leap. Marshall is 6’6”. So yes, conceding height but not really a mismatch.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:11 AM
Are any if the 2-3 year listed players ready to take these half back position ? Clearly ?

Half backs we look OK. Richards, Caleb, Dureya, JJ, Williams. Who do you want to replace?

macca
16-04-2023, 12:16 AM
Who are the KPD younger players looking to develop to replace Bruce , Jones, Gardner?

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 12:22 AM
Who are the KPD younger players looking to develop to replace Bruce , Jones, Gardner?

Busslinger and Gards. If we land Croft in the National Draft he might be developed as a KPD.

macca
16-04-2023, 12:24 AM
O’Brien is 6’4” with a prodigious leap. Marshall is 6’6”. So yes, conceding height but not really a mismatch.

Steven May 193cm
Adam tomlimsom 193cm
Nick murray 194cm
Alex pearece 197cm

TOB 192 cm - not really KPD??

derb
16-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Real crossroads time for the list and consequently Bevo imo.

jeemak
16-04-2023, 01:08 AM
Are we blaming Bevo for list management again are we? Or are we saying he's at the crossroads because he might not want to rebuild for the second time in five years?

D Mitchell
16-04-2023, 07:22 AM
Between them, Naughton, Lobb, Ugle-Hagan = 1 Goal. Hannon and Weightman = 5 goals. 3 Decoys ?

lemmon
16-04-2023, 07:29 AM
Opinion might be a big contrarian, but I'm actually fairly comfortable with last night's performance.

Going over there and beating a good Port Adelaide side on their home deck during the first Gather Round was going to be a huge task, the Bruce injury let Marshall get on a roll and Horne-Francis carried Port over the line with the crowd behind them.

I thought the effort was good, we had our moments but Port took back the momentum when it mattered. A loss is never good, but I feel a lot better after that than the mess we saw in the first two rounds.

JanLorMill
16-04-2023, 08:04 AM
Between them, Naughton, Lobb, Ugle-Hagan = 1 Goal. Hannon and Weightman = 5 goals. 3 Decoys ?
Don?t worry 3 tall forwards is going to click anytime soon.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 08:14 AM
Steven May 193cm
Adam tomlimsom 193cm
Nick murray 194cm
Alex pearece 197cm

Too much is focused on the height of a player to pigeonhole them into a role and I don't agree with the narrative that a player giving up 2 or 3 cm's is at a distinct disadvantage. Some of the best defenders in the competition regularly give up some height to their opponent.

TOB was okay last night and his height or perceived lack of it wasn't the issue.

D Mitchell
16-04-2023, 08:19 AM
Too much is focused on the height of a player to pigeonhole them into a role and I don't agree with the narrative that a player giving up 2 or 3 cm's is at a distinct disadvantage. Some of the best defenders in the competition regularly give up some height to their opponent.

TOB was okay last night and his height or perceived lack of it wasn't the issue.

EG Dale Morris

azabob
16-04-2023, 08:19 AM
You more of a Zaine Cordy guy?

Nah, more of an in Bruges guy.

You were happy with Lobb?s effort in the last quarter?

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 08:28 AM
EG Dale Morris

Exactly but there are also a number of them.
It's such an easy excuse to use much like using stats to explain how a player is performing. We apply differing standards or measures to players as well ie Bont errors won't be called out like Treloar ones.

SquirrelGrip
16-04-2023, 08:32 AM
Busslinger and Gards. If we land Croft in the National Draft he might be developed as a KPD.

And maybe O’Donnell?

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 08:39 AM
And maybe O’Donnell?

Good point. Lets face it, it is a bit of a long shot but athletically he might have a point of difference. It certainly won't hurt to get him into the system now and play some football with Footscray. Going into next year and with a genuine preseason behind him we should be able to gauge his progress.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 08:44 AM

For a player who completed a full preseason with his and one that we had done our homework on he hasn't measured up just yet. How much that injury so late in the year has set him back I don't know but he really looks underdone.

Happy Days
16-04-2023, 08:46 AM
Nah, more of an in Bruges guy.

Not at all. He’s been really poor the whole season and I’m getting increasingly annoyed at how much we gave up for him.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 08:53 AM
It's a hard game to work out why we lost given we were in a very winnable position. Clearly our midfield failed the test in the last 20 minutes which is concerning.

It leaves us with just 2 wins and a challenging road trip to follow although Fremantle haven't been that impressive.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:04 AM

The second Marshall goal we also defended that quite well considering field position.
He kicked a blinder.
He is a beautiful kick, we just have to accept sometimes it's no one's fault and the opposition did very well.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:12 AM

Ha very wet makes it tough.

Lobb and Marra were poor though.

Danjul
16-04-2023, 09:14 AM
It's a hard game to work out why we lost given we were in a very winnable position. Clearly our midfield failed the test in the last 20 minutes which is concerning.

It leaves us with just 2 wins and a challenging road trip to follow although Fremantle haven't been that impressive.
I thought it was easy to see why we lost. To be honest it didn?t ever look like we were going to win unless Weightman produced the game of the millennium. Unfortunately he couldn?t get beyond magnificent.

We went in with a player who gets an insignificant touch of the ball every 20 minutes while having absolute faith that the one who gets their hands on it every 15 minutes will save us.

Nope, we were never going to win. The regulars on the forward line are a dysfunctional group of individuals who continually get in each other?s way. Very low efficiency plays. The midfielders don?t seem to know how or where to kick, often preferring lightning fast handball to their mates a metre away. Have to feel sorry for the backline with that mess up ahead.

I was forced to watch the Melbourne-Essendon game. Although also described as football and on the same ground I struggled to believe we were trying to do the same thing. I?m hoping for a miracle during the next week because I have a ticket for the game and I don?t want to be that angry and out in public.

Danjul
16-04-2023, 09:20 AM
The second Marshall goal we also defended that quite well considering field position.
He kicked a blinder.
He is a beautiful kick, we just have to accept sometimes it's no one's fault and the opposition did very well.
It is someone?s fault. If billions of 5 year olds can learn something very difficult like a language then surely someone at the western oval can teach 20 year old men where to stand and what to do with the ball in their hands. Two simple things isn?t too much to ask.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:20 AM
How is it over there Danjul apart from the weather?

Gather round a winner?

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Opinion might be a big contrarian, but I'm actually fairly comfortable with last night's performance.

Going over there and beating a good Port Adelaide side on their home deck during the first Gather Round was going to be a huge task, the Bruce injury let Marshall get on a roll and Horne-Francis carried Port over the line with the crowd behind them.

I thought the effort was good, we had our moments but Port took back the momentum when it mattered. A loss is never good, but I feel a lot better after that than the mess we saw in the first two rounds.

Lots of frustrating things happened but I largely agree with this Lem.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:23 AM
It is someone?s fault. If billions of 5 year olds can learn something very difficult like a language then surely someone at the western oval can teach 20 year old men where to stand and what to do with the ball in their hands. Two simple things isn?t too much to ask.

My point is, you can't always control things.

Everytime Bont does something Bontastic doesn't mean the opposition screwed up; he's just unstoppable at times.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:29 AM
Lots of frustrating things happened but I largely agree with this Lem.

One of the pivotal moves was their tactical sub.

Dixon went into the ruck and did really well, it also gave our coaches something to think about and they pulled what I believe was the wrong lever resting English (could have worked in the wet) maybe thinking Lobb could cover Dixon.

They also played tighter on Bont so they changed things up. Fair play to their coaching team.

The Bruce injury meant Williams went to half back and Toby to a wing think the match ups in key positions stayed the same as Bruce was on Dixon.

azabob
16-04-2023, 09:32 AM
I thought it was easy to see why we lost. To be honest it didn?t ever look like we were going to win unless Weightman produced the game of the millennium. Unfortunately he couldn?t get beyond magnificent.

We went in with a player who gets an insignificant touch of the ball every 20 minutes while having absolute faith that the one who gets their hands on it every 15 minutes will save us.

Nope, we were never going to win. The regulars on the forward line are a dysfunctional group of individuals who continually get in each other?s way. Very low efficiency plays. The midfielders don?t seem to know how or where to kick, often preferring lightning fast handball to their mates a metre away. Have to feel sorry for the backline with that mess up ahead.

I was forced to watch the Melbourne-Essendon game. Although also described as football and on the same ground I struggled to believe we were trying to do the same thing. I?m hoping for a miracle during the next week because I have a ticket for the game and I don?t want to be that angry and out in public.

Danjul any chance you can name the players you are talking about rather than generic statements and stats?

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 09:34 AM
One of the pivotal moves was their tactical sub.

Dixon went into the ruck and did really well, it also gave our coaches something to think about and they pulled what I believe was the wrong lever resting English (could have worked in the wet) maybe thinking Lobb could cover Dixon.

They also played tighter on Bont so they changed things up. Fair play to their coaching team.

The Bruce injury meant Williams went to half back and Toby to a wing think the match ups in key positions stayed the same as Bruce was on Dixon.

Speaking of Williams what has happened to him? He's a shadow of the player he looked like he'd become.

G-Mo77
16-04-2023, 09:36 AM

I'm not going to punish myself and watch the last term but talk on socials was that he played forward a lot in the 4th quarter?

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 09:46 AM
I'm not going to punish myself and watch the last term but talk on socials was that he played forward a lot in the 4th quarter?

Hmm looks like it comparing heat maps of 3rd v 4th qtrs.

Bevo said Drew locked down on him so they must've tried to break the tag and backed the other mids.

https://i.postimg.cc/wjp4L4Jx/markup-1000004404.png (https://postimg.cc/7fKNyVmj)

https://i.postimg.cc/dVjHBRm2/markup-1000004403.png (https://postimg.cc/xXq3jzZ8)

Danjul
16-04-2023, 09:51 AM
How is it over there Danjul apart from the weather?

Gather round a winner?Shows how stressed last night has made me. My carer and spiritual guide has pointed out that that I haven?t got a ticket for next week and actually have plenty of time to regain my composure. The public can relax.

Scorlibo
16-04-2023, 09:53 AM
Not sure whether to be happy that Bont is starting every game so well or sad that his output drops away as the game progresses. Sure he was tagged last night but it is a clear trend for him so far this season.

SonofScray
16-04-2023, 09:58 AM
Hmm looks like it comparing heat maps of 3rd v 4th qtrs.

Bevo said Drew locked down on him so they must've tried to break the tag and backed the other mids.

https://i.postimg.cc/wjp4L4Jx/markup-1000004404.png (https://postimg.cc/7fKNyVmj)

https://i.postimg.cc/dVjHBRm2/markup-1000004403.png (https://postimg.cc/xXq3jzZ8)
That’s very frustrating to look at given the first image was what put us in a position to win the game.

If anything, drop Bont back perhaps.

jazzadogs
16-04-2023, 10:05 AM
Some observations:
- we lost clearances 17-8 in the final quarter
- Of the 6 centre bounces in the final quarter: Bont 3/6, English 4/6, Macrae 4/6, Libba 5/6, Treloar 6/6 (but no clearances), Lobb 2/6
- Lobb attended twice as many ruck contests (11) in the final quarter compared to the previous quarters (2,5,6)
- Butters had 11 touches, a goal and 4 clearances in the final term, while we watched our best player be willingly/knowingly removed from the contest to 'break' a tag.

Bevo and team were outcoached in the second half, especially the final quarter. The Lycett sub and the tagging of Bont by Drew were great moves which we didn't effectively counter.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:10 AM
You can cut and dice the game many different ways. However, this is the compelling part for me.

We had contained them to six goals for the entire game. Only one goal in the second half. We then conceded three goals in six minutes. So they were goalless for over 40 minutes. Then we coughed up three in six minutes on a night where goals were rare gold. They had kicked six goals in 3 and 1/2 quarters then in half a quarter they kicked four goals.

This trend of conceding multiple goals to the opposition from what looks like absolutely no where is destroying this team. That first 10 minutes we had complete control. We had field position. We had multiple F50 entries. We looked in complete control. We had our chances. They kick one goal and the entire momentum of the game changes.

Deja vu

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:13 AM
Some observations:
- we lost clearances 17-8 in the final quarter
- Of the 6 centre bounces in the final quarter: Bont 3/6, English 4/6, Macrae 4/6, Libba 5/6, Treloar 6/6 (but no clearances), Lobb 2/6
- Lobb attended twice as many ruck contests (11) in the final quarter compared to the previous quarters (2,5,6)
- Butters had 11 touches, a goal and 4 clearances in the final term, while we watched our best player be willingly/knowingly removed from the contest to 'break' a tag.

Bevo and team were outcoached in the second half, especially the final quarter. The Lycett sub and the tagging of Bont by Drew were great moves which we didn't effectively counter.

The momentum swung after they kicked their first goal of the final quarter at the 10 minute mark. I would love to see the breakdown from that point onwards.

chef
16-04-2023, 10:16 AM

Agree, i wasnt that upset about it either. Thought we had a real crack and played well

azabob
16-04-2023, 10:16 AM
The momentum swung after they kicked their first goal of the final quarter at the 10 minute mark. I would love to see the breakdown from that point onwards.

Wonder if we will review from that point on?

The obvious question needs to be asked; do we review these lapses in isolation with a fine tooth comb?

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:20 AM
Wonder if we will review from that point on?

The obvious question needs to be asked; do we review these lapses in isolation with a fine tooth comb?

Bevo was flat after the presser (really, really low on energy) but spot on with his view. He broke down where they lifted in the middle with some of the changes that they made. They got it to the outside too easily and we coughed up some goals too easy on a night where they were difficult to come from (paraphrasing him). He put the blame squarely on the midfield and not the backs who he complimented had a good night.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:23 AM
With the boys being on the road together for the entire week. You just feel that a win, which would have made it three in a row would have created a real sense of purpose for the season and the energy in the camp would have been immense. That loss is really going to hurt them. Hopefully they can "manufacture" some energy and togetherness this week. Next week away to a Fremantle team which has been under huge pressure is not going to be easy.

Mantis
16-04-2023, 10:23 AM
He kicked a blinder.

Yep? I?m more concerned with the freedom that Horne-Francis was given to deliver the ball inside 50.

The 1st goal was poorly defended, but you almost concede the 2nd one, especially when the deliverer is under limited pressure.

jazzadogs
16-04-2023, 10:25 AM
Agree, i wasnt that upset about it either. Thought we had a real crack and played well

The thing that is really frustrating me is how 'samey' the loss was.

It was fantastic to see us right in the game for 3 and a half quarters. But the capitulation happened the same way it has in the other games - our midfield soundly beaten, a step behind defensively all around the ground, poor decision making.

It's a really disappointing loss because we were in prime position.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:25 AM
Yep? I?m more concerned with the freedom they Horne-Francis was given to deliver the ball inside 50.

The 1st goal was poorly defended, but you almost concede the 2nd one, especially when the deliverer is under limited pressure.

Well they did two things in three minutes that blew the game apart. They took a big contested mark right in front of goals. We were not able to do that. They then threaded a miracle goal from the boundary where we missed easier chances when we had momentum in the third quarter.

They needed to do something special to get back into the game and wrestle back control and they got it done. We could not. That is the difference.

They made the most of their chances in the last quarter. They kicked 4.0 in the last quarter on night where it was difficult to execute.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 10:27 AM
Yep? I?m more concerned with the freedom they Horne-Francis was given to deliver the ball inside 50.

Spot on, TOB is made the focus for being out marked rather than why JHF was given plenty of space.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 10:29 AM
The thing that is really frustrating me is how 'samey' the loss was.

It was fantastic to see us right in the game for 3 and a half quarters. But the capitulation happened the same way it has in the other games - our midfield soundly beaten, a step behind defensively all around the ground, poor decision making.

It's a really disappointing loss because we were in prime position.

Yes transplant that last quarter into the second last week and it has the same feels.

No ability to stop the opposition from a midfield perspective. Ability or want I wonder too.

Surely JHF and Butters were red flagging in the box. We appeared to do nothing.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:31 AM
13 minute mark of the last quarter. JHF.

"Jason Horne-Francis has also been on fire in this quarter, collecting eight disposals, in which six were won in a contested manner, three clearances, four inside 50s (six for the game being retained 83% of the time) and a score launch which resulted in a goal."

He started to really carve us up.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Yes transplant that last quarter into the second last week and it has the same feels.

No ability to stop the opposition from a midfield perspective. Ability or want I wonder too.

Surely JHF and Butters were red flagging in the box. We appeared to do nothing.

I don't think it was the same - well maybe for 5 minutes while English was off. We had the chance to peg back a goal when Naughton was legged in the square. That goal would have arrested their momentum and anything could happen. In other games like last week's second quarter, we couldn't even get the ball past the centre.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 10:40 AM
I don't think it was the same - well maybe for 5 minutes while English was off. We had the chance to peg back a goal when Naughton was legged in the square. That goal would have arrested their momentum and anything could happen. In other games like last week's second quarter, we couldn't even get the ball past the centre.

Was he legged I though he just muffed it.

Fair point you make, not sure I agree however we got smashed in midfield and appeared to not be able to stop it. Again.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:42 AM

Fair point you make, not sure I agree however we got smashed in midfield and appeared to not be able to stop it. Again.

Yes. Smashed in the midfield after dominating it for most of the match. That is the disturbing part. The swing that comes from nowhere and our inability to wrestle back control.

1eyedog
16-04-2023, 10:44 AM

He muffed it. Not sure why he didn't go off the ground. Weightman butchered a similar chance in the second.

SonofScray
16-04-2023, 10:44 AM

He was legged, for sure. Bad miss from the umpires.

That’s some consolation, that we can point out it as a factor in the loss, I suppose. I miss feeling upset at losses where I thought we were robbed.

That 5 minutes BAD noted, that was really telling. 10 minutes of good footy can undo an hour of ours.

1eyedog
16-04-2023, 10:47 AM
13 minute mark of the last quarter. JHF.

"Jason Horne-Francis has also been on fire in this quarter, collecting eight disposals, in which six were won in a contested manner, three clearances, four inside 50s (six for the game being retained 83% of the time) and a score launch which resulted in a goal."

He started to really carve us up.

Wish we had a player like this.

Honestly, Bont is a superstar but the calls comparing him as our best ever and as good as EJ need to stop. EJ is a top 5 best player ever to play the game. Bont is a top 5 player in a block of 10-12 years type of player.

I will admit that Bont needs more help and spends most of his time trying to keep us in games in the first half and is probably cooked by last and beyond making a contribution.

Feel he could be anything in a great team though.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:48 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fty-mvuagAEVYos?format=jpg&name=medium

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:53 AM

That is unbelievable.

I have watched Carlton play the last weeks. Harry and Curnow get so many soft free kicks. You literally can't touch them without giving away a free kick. Naughton gets held every single week and gets nothing. It is frustrating.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:55 AM
That is unbelievable.

I have watched Carlton play the last weeks. Harry and Curnow get so many soft free kicks. You literally can't touch them without giving away a free kick. Naughton gets held every single week and gets nothing. It is frustrating.

That goal, I believe would have made a difference. It would have been 4 points the difference with afew minutes to go. Anything can then happen.

I really hate the way the game is umpired and the rules stink.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Either way Naughton was average. He should dominate Aliir.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 10:59 AM
I just watched the replay of Naughton being legged. I still can't believe how a free kick is not paid. But Naughton doesn't even appeal for a free kick. Harry or Curnow would have thrown their arms out and flopped. I'm not asking him to dive, but does he need to be smart to draw the free kick. He was legged and he doesn't have the ball either.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 11:05 AM
Either way Naughton was average. He should dominate Aliir.

To be fair, it wasn't exactly a night to be a forward. Aliir only took four marks for the game. Naughton took two big contested grabs. Four marks in total. He had 13 touches, four scoring involvements, kicked a goal and had one goal assist.

There were a few moments that he would like to have back where Aliir clearly got the better of him. But for a big forward in driving rain I think he did OK. If he gets that free kick at the end. He has two goals for the game. Which would have been a great return on a night like that.

For the record, for the holding and scragging that Aliir did all night. How many free kicks did Naughton get? Zero.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 11:13 AM
Aliir's game for the record.

11 touches. 7 kicks. 4 handballs. 4 marks. 4 tackles. 11 intercept. 2 turnovers. 10 pressure acts. 116m gained.

Liam Jones

15 touches. 12 kicks. 2 handballs. 5 marks. 13 intercept. 6 turnovers. 5 pressure acts. 408m gained.

So they had Aliir. We had Jones. Both had an equal impact on the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2023, 11:13 AM
To be fair, it wasn't exactly a night to be a forward. Aliir only took four marks for the game. Naughton took two big contested grabs. Four marks in total. He had 13 touches, four scoring involvements, kicked a goal and had one goal assist.

There were a few moments that he would like to have back where Aliir clearly got the better of him. But for a big forward in driving rain I think he did OK. If he gets that free kick at the end. He has two goals for the game. Which would have been a great return on a night like that.

For the record, for the holding and scragging that Aliir did all night. How many free kicks did Naughton get? Zero.

I don't disagree but he's kicked 8 goals from 5 games. That's not good enough for a player who is meant to be our key target. I don't think it's unfair to expect more, this is why we pay him accordingly.

Hardly our biggest problem, but for mine our best players do not deliver enough or in the key moments, and our bottom 6 are predictably ineffective.

We'll be nothing until at least one of those are fixed.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 11:15 AM
I don't disagree but he's kicked 8 goals from 5 games. That's not good enough for a player who is meant to be our key target. I don't think it's unfair to expect more, this is why we pay him accordingly.

Hardly our biggest problem, but for mine our best players do not deliver enough or in the key moments, and our bottom 6 are predictably ineffective.

Yes. His goal return is not good enough. But he wasn't the reason we lost last night IMHO.

Curly5
16-04-2023, 11:21 AM
That goal, I believe would have made a difference. It would have been 4 points the difference with afew minutes to go. Anything can then happen.

Same happened to Hannan last week. Is there a new rule that any Bulldogs player who gets legged in the goal square mustn't get a free kick?

jazzadogs
16-04-2023, 11:32 AM

How many opportunities has our team actually created for him though? It's a bit of chicken and the egg for me.

I think Naughton has been fine. Last night he frequently had 2 to contend with, as one would try to hold him out while the other defender floated in to mark or spoil.

soupman
16-04-2023, 11:35 AM
How many opportunities has our team actually created for him though? It's a bit of chicken and the egg for me.

I think Naughton has been fine. Last night he frequently had 2 to contend with, as one would try to hold him out while the other defender floated in to mark or spoil.

At least the last couple of weeks he has started to push up outside of the forward 50, so he can be involved in scenarios where it isn't just three tall defenders converging on him.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2023, 12:02 PM

It's starting to become a cop out for Naughton. 'Well he's competing against 2-3 others what else can he do?'

How about move?

It's like he's the only key forward who gets attention. Move, lead, double back, that's what the best do. He doesn't - he DEMANDS the long ball because he wants to run and jump at it. Sometimes you need to actually offer repeat leads, which ironically is what gets you easy goals, something he's never been able to consistently do.

Curnow/McKay do this so much better.

It sounds like I'm targeting Aaron, but he's a fantastic player who isn't delivering what we need, point blank

Danjul
16-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Danjul any chance you can name the players you are talking about rather than generic statements and stats?
The younger Jones had his 5th possession towards the end of the last quarter. He has contributed little in his games.

I think he is going to be a good player, but he is not ready yet. He has had a taste of the firsts, knows how it all works and should go back to the vfl to practise what he now knows. That?s not criticism, it?s constructive advice and it benefits him, the team and the club.

Lobb had a couple of terrible games overlooked because he was carrying an injury. I thought he was poor last night. He is getting the 90+% game time and the return must be questioned. We got him to be a match winner but last night there was a noticeable momentum swing whenever he was given responsibility away from the goal square. I was hoping his experience would help establish a sense of purpose and organisation around the goals but he is struggling to position himself. In three games he has had 4, 6 and 8 possessions.Historically the Bulldogs of old would not tolerate that, now we spend the week manufacturing excuses. We have seen him function as a match winner so it?s time for the team to adjust to his needs because he doesn?t seem to be able to adjust to our current game plan.

I?ve chosen two forwards because Apart from Weightmans Contribution we only got 4 goals.

The team got a total of 5 goals against St Kilda in perfect conditions (neither of these two played) so it seems the problem goes beyond a few individuals.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Most AFL Player Ratings points in Q4...

8.9 - Z. Butters
8.3 - JASON HORNE-FRANCIS
7.6 - T. Marshall
6.3 - D. Houston
5.5 - M. Bontempelli

Danjul
16-04-2023, 12:17 PM
It's starting to become a cop out for Naughton. 'Well he's competing against 2-3 others what else can he do?'

How about move?

It's like he's the only key forward who gets attention. Move, lead, double back, that's what the best do. He doesn't - he DEMANDS the long ball because he wants to run and jump at it. Sometimes you need to actually offer repeat leads, which ironically is what gets you easy goals, something he's never been able to consistently do.

Curnow/McKay do this so much better.

It sounds like I'm targeting Aaron, but he's a fantastic player who isn't delivering what we need, point blank

To be honest I lost count of the number of times he was competing against JUH, Lobb, English and Hannan. Throw in a couple of defenders and he has a difficult job.

Danjul
16-04-2023, 12:21 PM

Two weeks in a row. Have the rules changed?

DOG GOD
16-04-2023, 12:50 PM
For mine, Naughton plays best further up the ground. Where he can move between Half fwd and wing. A little more room and less to contend with. We need better fwd craft and bombing to him at FF with 6-7 players all flying is not the answer.

azabob
16-04-2023, 01:10 PM
For mine, Naughton plays best further up the ground. Where he can move between Half fwd and wing. A little more room and less to contend with. We need better fwd craft and bombing to him at FF with 6-7 players all flying is not the answer.

Totally agree. I have often said he should be our current day Robert Murphy and patrol the wings and half forward line.

What I do not get is he seemed to play the high half forward role in the third quarter and he was involved and influenced the game.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 01:11 PM

Fmd that's a trip all right.

4 umpires what's the point.

Still think he should've kicked it, however moot as it's a clear free.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:20 PM
I also thought he should have kicked it. But after watching the replay I changed my mind. He is not only legged, he is grabbed when he doesn't have the ball. It is hard to kick a goal when someone literally grabs your leg and doesn't let go.

jeemak
16-04-2023, 01:29 PM
No!

Alir was amazing and saved the game two weeks in a row! Didn't you all listen to the commentators?

If they didn't mention Naughton being tackled without the ball or incorrectly, then he mustn't have been tackled without the ball or incorrectly.

The barracking was out of hand last night.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:30 PM
No!

Alir was amazing and saved the game two weeks in a row! Didn't you all listen to the commentators?

If they didn't mention Naughton being tackled without the ball or incorrectly, then he mustn't have been tackled without the ball or incorrectly.

The commentating is getting worse. Painfully worse.

DOG GOD
16-04-2023, 01:33 PM
Totally agree. I have often said he should be our current day Robert Murphy and patrol the wings and half forward line.

What I do not get is he seemed to play the high half forward role in the third quarter and he was involved and influenced the game.

Absolutely. I love the way he moves when he is further up, can get more involved and influential. His skills are quite good and normally makes good decisions. Even if he doesn’t take the mark, because of the room he’s got, his catlike presence can keep him in the play where he can be influential. I like your Bob Murphy reference as well.

jazzadogs
16-04-2023, 01:50 PM
The commentating is getting worse. Painfully worse.

One of my favourite moments was when the ball was deep in our defense, and Oskar Baker handballed it to himself and the ball then travelled up the wing 30+ metres - but they kept the same shirty angle from down in the pocket, meaning you had no idea what was happening. Brilliant.

Happy Days
16-04-2023, 02:19 PM
No!

We were set up this week.

D Mitchell
16-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Don?t worry 3 tall forwards is going to click anytime soon.
I fear that if 3 talls will ever work, it won?t be these 3.

kruder
16-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Is it just me or has our ball movement gone even wider this year?

We didn't dare to win last night, we are playing very conservative football. I mean the only highlight ball movement wise was when Richards held onto the pill and changed direction and hit Cody up on the fat side.

I still hold up hope just because of the form of the English, Bont, Jones and what Cody brought to the forward line last night. We really need BAZ to go to another level his run would have been handy in the last but yeah what to do about our bottom 4 players????

Bailey Williams is one that really disappoints me, he has the attributes to be a top 10 player on the list but he still hasn't recovered from the grand final performance. He has been bloody ordinary again to start the year.

D Mitchell
16-04-2023, 03:28 PM
Is it just me or has our ball movement gone even wider this year?

We didn't dare to win last night, we are playing very conservative football. I mean the only highlight ball movement wise was when Richards held onto the pill and changed direction and hit Cody up on the fat side.
...r.

It's not just you. The old switcheroo as soon as the ball is in possession on half back is dead. Against R'mond, the ball went forward more than laterally, it looks like it was back to the old style last night, I couldn't watch and now don't intend catching up with replays, too depressing.

Jeanette54
16-04-2023, 07:34 PM
From where I sat our defeat was down to our refusal to play genuine, wet weather football.

It is not the sort of day to indulge in the much-vaunted handball club. Every possession it takes to progress forward is a risk you take. And so often we led opponents to the ball and either fumbled or overran it. The latter was particularly evident in our backline with our attack on the ball.

Again, there are two places to be crumbing when marks are contested on a wet day. In front of the pack in case a wet heavy ball drops short, or behind for when the slippery ball passes through grasping hands. So often the only ones behind the contest were Port players.

Aggressive fast play is great, but it must be modified to suit the conditions.

jeemak
16-04-2023, 08:48 PM
From where I sat our defeat was down to our refusal to play genuine, wet weather football.

It is not the sort of day to indulge in the much-vaunted handball club. Every possession it takes to progress forward is a risk you take. And so often we led opponents to the ball and either fumbled or overran it. The latter was particularly evident in our backline with our attack on the ball.

Again, there are two places to be crumbing when marks are contested on a wet day. In front of the pack in case a wet heavy ball drops short, or behind for when the slippery ball passes through grasping hands. So often the only ones behind the contest were Port players.

At times it reminded me of a wet weather game we played there a few years ago where we just refused to get the ball moving forward by foot to take territory and overhandled it.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 08:57 PM
Half backs we look OK. Richards, Caleb, Dureya, JJ, Williams. Who do you want to replace?

But he is not a KPD.

Steven May 193cm
Adam tomlimsom 193cm
Nick murray 194cm
Alex pearece 197cm

Bont is 193cm and he also is not a KPD.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 09:01 PM
Same happened to Hannan last week. Is there a new rule that any Bulldogs player who gets legged in the goal square mustn't get a free kick?

We should be complaining to the AFL about the umpires being either incompetent, or they are cheats.

The Underdog
16-04-2023, 09:10 PM
We should be complaining to the AFL about the umpires being either incompetent, or they are cheats.

I thought we generally got a pretty good run with the umps last night. Was only that one decision, which I’ll admit was an important one in context although nowhere near as poor as the Hannan miss the week before.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 09:16 PM
I thought we generally got a pretty good run with the umps last night. Was only that one decision, which I’ll admit was an important one in context although nowhere near as poor as the Hannan miss the week before.

Yeah, I meant for the illegal tackles around the legs.

You know that tripping was once a reportable offence and Jimmy Krakouer got a long suspension.

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I meant for the illegal tackles around the legs.

You know that tripping was once a reportable offence and Jimmy Cracker got a long suspension.

I think that's actually called prison, and I'm not sure if tripping was the offense.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 09:33 PM
I think that's actually called prison, and I'm not sure if tripping was the offense.

May have been tripping another way. :D

bornadog
16-04-2023, 09:51 PM
This is interesting. No consistence in AFL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ft1Vq2OaAAISKe3?format=jpg&name=large

The bulldog tragician
16-04-2023, 10:19 PM

Our struggles in getting it forward confirmed here in the stats for disposals and inside 50s per goal. Every goal feels exhausting.

https://i.postimg.cc/bY5RCPM9/9-B2764-EE-959-C-4-D09-9305-C4985590555-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vDW9TJG4)

D Mitchell
16-04-2023, 11:37 PM
To be fair, it wasn't exactly a night to be a forward. Aliir only took four marks for the game. ....
Weightman kicked 4. There's no way I'd want to pot Naughton but are we too ready to find excuses ?

angelopetraglia
17-04-2023, 08:24 AM
From the Tackle today in the Herald Sun. It must help with Landsberger a contributor to this article.

NOISE OF AFFIRMATION

Aliir Aliir’s desperation in defence has been rightly lauded recently. There was that goalline spoil to save the game after the final siren against Sydney and a similar effort to deny Jamarra Ugle-Hagan a goal on Saturday night. But you still have to execute legally, and his rundown tackle on Aaron Naughton in the goalsquare during the tense fourth quarter should’ve been penalised for a trip. Aliir clung on to Naughton’s left leg below his knee and dragged him to the ground. The certain goal would’ve cut the margin to three points with eight minutes on the clock. You had to wonder what the goal umpire and boundary umpire, who had a perfect view of the incident, were thinking as they stood there powerless to intervene as all four field umpires failed to pick up on the crucial error.

SonofScray
17-04-2023, 08:35 AM
Our struggles in getting it forward confirmed here in the stats for disposals and inside 50s per goal. Every goal feels exhausting.

https://i.postimg.cc/bY5RCPM9/9-B2764-EE-959-C-4-D09-9305-C4985590555-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vDW9TJG4)
Bit of economy with the footy would be nice. Always trying to move the mountain to Mohammed

Bulldog4life
17-04-2023, 12:07 PM
From the Tackle today in the Herald Sun. It must help with Landsberger a contributor to this article.

NOISE OF AFFIRMATION

Aliir Aliir’s desperation in defence has been rightly lauded recently. There was that goalline spoil to save the game after the final siren against Sydney and a similar effort to deny Jamarra Ugle-Hagan a goal on Saturday night. But you still have to execute legally, and his rundown tackle on Aaron Naughton in the goalsquare during the tense fourth quarter should’ve been penalised for a trip. Aliir clung on to Naughton’s left leg below his knee and dragged him to the ground. The certain goal would’ve cut the margin to three points with eight minutes on the clock. You had to wonder what the goal umpire and boundary umpire, who had a perfect view of the incident, were thinking as they stood there powerless to intervene as all four field umpires failed to pick up on the crucial error.

Not much a boundary umpire could do.

Grantysghost
17-04-2023, 03:52 PM
Aflca votes :

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs
10 Zak Butters (PORT)
8 Cody Weightman (WB)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Todd Marshall (PORT)
2 Tim English (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)

LEADERBOARD
35 Nick Daicos (COLL)
26 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
24 Chad Warner (SYD)
24 Callum Wilkie (STK)
23 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
22 Tim Kelly (WCE)
22 Christian Petracca (MELB)
21 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
21 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
20 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
20 Zach Merrett (ESS)
20 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
20 Caleb Serong (FRE)
19 Toby Greene (GWS)
19 Darcy Parish (ESS)
18 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
18 Jack Sinclair (STK)
17 Mason Redman (ESS)
16 Mason Wood (STK)
15 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
15 Zak Butters (PORT)
15 Jack Lukosius (GCFC)
15 Izak Rankine (ADEL)

angelopetraglia
17-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Aflca votes :

10 Zak Butters (PORT)
8 Cody Weightman (WB)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Todd Marshall (PORT)
2 Tim English (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)

LEADERBOARD
35 Nick Daicos (COLL)
26 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
24 Chad Warner (SYD)
24 Callum Wilkie (STK)
23 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
22 Tim Kelly (WCE)
22 Christian Petracca (MELB)
21 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
21 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
20 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
20 Zach Merrett (ESS)
20 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
20 Caleb Serong (FRE)
19 Toby Greene (GWS)
19 Darcy Parish (ESS)
18 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
18 Jack Sinclair (STK)
17 Mason Redman (ESS)
16 Mason Wood (STK)
15 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
15 Zak Butters (PORT)
15 Jack Lukosius (GCFC)
15 Izak Rankine (ADEL)

Bont is stiff. But I guess he was no where to be seen when the whips were cracking at the finish.

So both coaches gave 5 to Zak and 4 to Weightman. Houston also got votes from both coaches. Jones only one coach. English only one coach. Marshall only one coach. Aliir only one coach.

Aliir only got votes off one coach? That is a suprise.

For example.

Coach A

Zak 5
Weightman 4
Houston 3
Marshall 2
Jones 1

Coach B

Zak 5
Weightman 4
Aliir 3
English 2
Houston 1

bornadog
17-04-2023, 05:20 PM
https://youtu.be/rjGPkLolJMc

Mantis
17-04-2023, 05:32 PM
Aflca votes :

10 Zak Butters (PORT)
8 Cody Weightman (WB)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
3 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
2 Todd Marshall (PORT)
2 Tim English (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)

I know he kicked 2 late (important) goals.. one which was a sitter, the other very difficult, but he was largely unsighted until that point and hardly a vote catching performance.

But 'Crazy Ken' is in full nuffie supporter mode at present so was probably 10 cans deep and only remembers the last 15min.

jeemak
17-04-2023, 07:09 PM
I know he kicked 2 late (important) goals.. one which was a sitter, the other very difficult, but he was largely unsighted until that point and hardly a vote catching performance.

But 'Crazy Ken' is in full nuffie supporter mode at present so was probably 10 cans deep and only remembers the last 15min.

I do wonder how Port Adelaide would perform if they had a coach that was a bit more level.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-04-2023, 07:45 PM

Regrettably In a tight finish, Marshall’s two late goals proved to be the difference in the final loss to the WB

Dry Rot
17-04-2023, 07:59 PM

So many illuminating stats there.

Why did we handball so much on a wet night?

33% more disposals per goal.

40% more disposals per scoring shot.

No wonder we get buggered and leak a battery of goals.

SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE.

SonofScray
19-04-2023, 04:00 PM
So many illuminating stats there.

Why did we handball so much on a wet night?

33% more disposals per goal.

40% more disposals per scoring shot.

No wonder we get buggered and leak a battery of goals.

33% more disposals per goal is grim.

Mitcha
21-04-2023, 11:54 AM
Big difference in game styles between the two clubs. Why did we try to play dry weather footy in the constant rain? Surely get the ball forward and take some ground and work from contest to contest. Port were good in utilizing minimal handball before finding a team mate in space and then getting the ball onto a boot and forward towards goal whereas we seemed intent on chaining the ball around trying to find the perfect option. It wasn't a night for the perfect option. The more times you handle the ball the more chance of turning it over and at the same time drawing tackle pressure if the ball stays in the same area. There seemed to be no plan B when our handball game wasn't working.

mjp
21-04-2023, 01:52 PM

What were the stats at 3/4 time?

If the ratios were the same, does this still mean the same? If they weren't the same, does it mean more? Less?

Stats only tell half the story - reality is though the #1 indicator for games won throughout the history of footy is TOTAL KICKS.

Danjul
21-04-2023, 04:22 PM
Big difference in game styles between the two clubs. Why did we try to play dry weather footy in the constant rain? Surely get the ball forward and take some ground and work from contest to contest. Port were good in utilizing minimal handball before finding a team mate in space and then getting the ball onto a boot and forward towards goal whereas we seemed intent on chaining the ball around trying to find the perfect option. It wasn't a night for the perfect option. The more times you handle the ball the more chance of turning it over and at the same time drawing tackle pressure if the ball stays in the same area. There seemed to be no plan B when our handball game wasn't working.

It hasn?t worked very often. Other teams are using running to a designated kicking position combined with running to a marking position. Kills handball every time.